1.77/5

51 The Lasik Vision Institute Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 10, 2019

I had Lasik surgery on March 1, 2019. I had issues with distance so I went in for a consultation. The Dr explained that since I was in my 40s, my close up vision would be changing and I would need readers soon. I DID NOT need readers prior to the surgery. The Dr said monovision would provide up close and distance for me. They put some glasses on me and had me walk around the office. I had no issues. After surgery, I gave it a couple of weeks to adjust. My distance vision is awesome, but my close up vision is horrible. My close up vision was perfect prior to the the Lasik surgery. I have spoken the Dr every followup and told her that something is not right with my close up vision. She kept telling me to give it time. My last follow up, she told me that I gave up some of my up-close vision to improve my distance.

When I first went in for a consultation, I was told to do the monovision because I would need readers soon because of my age. She never ever said you were giving up your close up vision to obtain distance vision. NOW, I NEED READERS AFTER LASIK to see, to read, to look at my phone, etc. The last FREE appt I had the Dr gave me a prescription for a contact for my left eye, which was the eye that was supposed to be for up close vision. I have said every appt that something was not right. If my up close vision was fine prior to the surgery, why did they just leave my left eye alone and do my right one for distance? I am so upset that the Dr ignored my pleas every followup appt. I even recorded the conversations for my own records. I have made an appt at another Lasik place locally to see what they say. It is scheduled for July 15th.

Dr's are not always right and very capable of making mistakes. I am not happy with the outcome of the surgery. I need readers now to see. I am a teacher and need to be able to read with my classes. I got Lasik to ditch my glasses I was wearing for distance. Now, I have to wear readers to see anything close up. I could have kept my distance glasses for driving and be able to put on my makeup, pluck my eyebrows, read my phone, read a book, etc. I want my left eye vision to be what it was prior to surgery. I had up close vision before the surgery. Was this just a scam to get both eyes done???

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I was scheduled for an exam for Lasik. They then called me back a couple days before the exam date to tell me there was no doctor scheduled that day and they needed to reschedule. (Fine.) Told them I was driving from 4 hours away to the office so they said, "We will have you do a consult and surgery all in one day." The day comes, I’m arrive to a jam packed waiting room, 100 people deep. No seat were left so I was left standing to fill out my paperwork. (Not a problem.) They eventually sat me in a recovery room where I kept getting dirty looks from staff wondering why I was there. Went through a couple tests, nurse says “the doctor has a flight to catch so we’ll do our best to get you in but no promises...” I then informed her I drove 4 hours and was bumped once already, I’d really like to get surgery today if possible.

More tests go by. The nurse asks me “did you scratch your eye.” I said no. Then she completes all the tests and tells me I am a good candidate and asks me if I’m ready or excited, I said yes. She leaves, speaks to another nurse and the other nurse says just loud enough for me to hear them that the doctor will not do surgery with a scratch on the eye. She comes in the room tells me that I’d have to come back. I leave frustrated. I call corporate and leave a message. I go to a doctor in town 2 days later (way more expensive). They tell me, there is no scratches on either of my eyes and that I’m a good candidate. I go back and forth for a week with LVI corporate and they tell me that I’m not a good candidate and I should find another doctor.

Get expert buying tips about LASIK Surgery Center delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

Had Lasik over a year ago. Eyes have gotten worse since they said I had 20/20 however I do not and did not. Got the lifetime guarantee but they say they can’t redo, not enough tissue. I have went to 2 different eyes doctors now that said what was wrong with my eye could not be corrected. My vision is now 25/35. It almost cost me my job because some days I could see and some barely see. It cost me 4000. To still have to wear glasses. I am looking into a way to get what I have paid them back. And will not pay them anymore.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

Terrible place in Cleveland Ohio. Never been to an office that is so unorganized. We spent 7 hours here for a 2 hour or less procedure. They overbook. The equipment broke down. Went halfway to Pittsburgh to pick up equipment. Never updated the patient of the status. Never called patients with later appointments to advise them to bring a sleeping bag. Just let them come in then lied saying it will be about an hour delay, it’s all about the money. Everyone has the same follow up time at 9AM the next day. We went on Saturday and promised follow up on Sunday. Good with my work schedule. But they changed it to Monday. Now missing work. The staff here is very inconsiderate. Unprofessional. No empathy. Who comes to a 2 hr. appt and is prepared to stay 7 hours or longer. I will be telling others about our experience. Terrible.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

We waited 6 hours for a procedure which should have taken an hour. I have had the same LASIK in Florida and it was such a wonderful experience compared to this. They did not offer my son any type of sedative (pretty standard) and only let us know the night before (8:30 pm) that he had to come back for a follow up the next day, SUNDAY at 9:00 am!!! Ok, so they get done with him at 8:30 pm on a Saturday and he comes back at 9:00 on a Sunday! Again, they scheduled 20 people at the same time for the follow up and we sat there for 45 minutes until we left. This place is the most unprofessional organization I have ever experienced. We live about an hour away... It’s all about the money baby. DO NOT go here.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Lasik Vision Institute?

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

Not sure how it is legal for them to do what they did to my eyes. I had Lasik with them a little over two years ago, and my eyes were never quite right afterwards. I have difficulties in focusing and horrible night vision. They were never concerned because I could guess at some letters on the 20/20 line even-though the 20/20 line was not clear. I told them about the 20/20 line not being clear, not being able to focus, and my horrible night vision, but they said my eyes were fine. I eventually went someplace else that measured my vision to be a rough 20/30ish in both eyes and glasses no longer able correct my vision.

Yes, my vision measured worse at another place, which doesn't say much for the LVI measurements. In addition, my left eye was over-corrected to +1.75, which seems like a huge miss. I was fitted with scleral contact lenses at another office, which are about $2000 and I'm not seeing 20/15, but my vision is still not as good as pre-Lasik with glasses and soft contacts. TL/DR: This place really messed up my eyes, and they had no idea how to fix them or even diagnose my issues! Go someplace else.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

Went into the office of Lasik Vision on Buffalo & Lake Mead in LV, NV. They have a ad for a free eye examination, tried to make a appointment and was turned down because I was too OLD, the computer would not take the appointment! Was told to go somewhere else, which I did. Nvision, had my examination (for free) and had PRK. Recovering from the surgery and could not be happier.

When into the office of Lasik Vision on Buffalo & Lake Mead in LV, NV. They have a ad for a free eye examination, tried to make a appointment and was turned down because I was to OLD, the computer would not take the appointment!! Was told to go somewhere else, which I did. Nvision, had my examination (for free) and had PRK. Recovering from the surgery and could not be happier.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

2 years later: Vision in both eyes are worse than before I had the procedure done. I wish every single day that I hadn't had Lasik Surgery. Addition: My husband also had Lasik Surgery at the same time as I. His eyes have worsened, also. He wishes he had never had the surgery done, as well. Addition: Neither my husband or self can stand bright sun... Meaning, we honestly cannot see clearly, if it is sunny out.

Original review: July 18, 2018

They claim they do in house financing, the contract with Healthcare Finance Direct. This finance company charged me fees even after I paid off the balance. They continue to charge me, and refuse to refund me. I paid off my bill 4 months early, and they refuse to refund me the fees they charged me for the 4 months that I don't owe them. I confirmed with them at the start of the contract that If I paid off early I would not be charged the monthly fee for the months I don't owe them. Now that I'm paid off they refuse to refund me, and continue to charge me for something I don't owe them. Lasik Vision lied to me about the terms of the financing, and the financing company has been dishonest from the beginning.

Original review: June 26, 2018

I had initially been told I had to do PRK for both eyes for my horrible vision (-8.00) and could maybe do Contoura. I went in for my surgery expecting the final round of testing after I stopped wearing contacts for 7 days and to my surprise, there were no additional tests. When I demanded another to see if I could get Contoura the nurse had an attitude and refused, saying she knew I didn't qualify. I decided to go ahead with the regular PRK treatment. Well at the last minute the surgeon decided that I could do LASIK instead (because he prefers to perform it this way) and immediately I saw the look of shock on the manager and nurses' faces but I figured they wouldn't let something be done that shouldn't. Surgery time, Dr. ** performed surgery on my right eye and talked me through the procedure... went fine. Then switched over to my left and started moving a lot faster without walking me through it anymore.

All of a sudden the suction broke (I could hear the change in noise) and the surgeon and nurse went into panic. Surgeon said they had to abort surgery and they took the clamp out of my eye and tried to convince me it was no big deal and at least my right eye could see better now. The Dr then told me he could attempt the LASIK again after the partial flap healed in 2 months. I told him I was told once you have LASIK (and do the laser cut) only PRK can ever be done after. He said PRK was an option and he could do it in 4 weeks instead of 8 weeks but he didn't prefer that method. The entire staff started sweeping the situation under the rug and rushed me out of there (since they already charged me the full $2800 and got their money).

The next day another doctor looked at my eyes and had me go through step by step what happened (what I heard, what I saw, what they said) and documented every word. Obviously, this was a big deal and they didn't want to let me know that. After this, I let everyone know in 4 weeks I wanted the PRK and a different surgeon. Everyone agreed... until the 4 weeks got closer. They stopped keeping in touch with me and every time I called and was promised a call back I had to be the one calling back. They started giving the runaround about when I can have the left eye treated and what surgeon will be willing to do it.

Finally, I was told 4 weeks later on a Sunday (I called) that I would most likely have the surgery performed by another surgeon this Friday and to go ahead and stop wearing the contact. I had to work and walk around partially blind until I called back Tuesday (since they hadn't called me) to confirm the surgery for Friday. Now I am told the other surgeon won't even consider the PRK for 3-6 months because he likes to be overly cautious even though all medical articles and the other surgeon said 2-4 weeks. I will be getting a full copy of my file, going to another LASIK company and getting a refund on half of the money that has already been charged to my credit card.

Stay away from this company!!! They only care about the money and making sure you won't sue them instead of fixing the problems they created! I also have to now plan to pay for more contacts until I get this eye corrected since glasses are no longer an option. I had the right lens replaced with a non-prescription thinking that would work for now but it doesn't. It looks like I am walking on hills if I put them on even though the left lens is my prescription. I was told this is because the glasses sit away from your eyes. I should have known this place was a crock when I got a Groupon price. You get what you pay for I guess.

The Lasik Vision Institute expert review by Michael Duplessie

With more than 1 million successful procedures performed nationwide, The Lasik Vision Institute is a leading provider of laser vision correction surgeries. Their commitment to affordability helps bring the option of LASIK to everyone.

• Pricing: The Lasik Vision Institute strives to keep the costs of LASIK as reasonable as possible, helping to make it affordable for all budgets.

• Financing: Given the out-of-pocket costs associated with LASIK, it is no surprise that they offer in-house financing to make payments reasonable for any budget.

• Customized surgical procedures: Surgery is not a one-size-fits-all solution, which makes a customized option the best way to go to get the most impressive results.

• Locations: Whenever a franchise offers a service, there are always the best locations and the worst. On top of that, the doctor you meet for an initial consult may not be the surgeon performing the procedure.

• Referral rewards: By offering you a reward for sending friends to the same location, it calls into question the quality of service. If you truly believe they offer the best service, of course you will refer your friends. Offering a reward for that referral can come across as unprofessional to some consumers.

• Best for: The professional, The adventurer, Sun lovers, Extremely visually impaired

Profile picture of Michael Duplessie
Michael Duplessie LASIK Surgery Center Expert

Dr. Michael Duplessie is a cornea transplant and LASIK pioneer. Dr. Duplessie performed over 30,000 LASIK procedures, organized the first LASIK surgery course in the United States and published the first textbook chapters on the subject.

The Lasik Vision Institute Company Information