The Lasik Vision Institute

Compare LASIK Surgery Centers

Research top LASIK Surgery Centers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I had corrective lasik eye surgery done for astigmatism and close up. I chose the monovision. The first my eyesight was good. Here it is a year and half later I have blurry vision. I've been back for 2 follow up visits they keep trying to blame it on glaucoma and cataracts. I went to my optometrist. She did test for glaucoma. I even went for the advance testing for glaucoma she found none. As far as cataracts my eye doctor only found a hint of one. The Doctors at Lasik Vision Institute Dr ** says that's what is affecting my eyesight. They keep avoiding or not wanting to do anything about correcting this. I paid $2800 for this surgery with no satisfaction. I wish I'd done my research. The reviews I have read have the similar problem.

I did my consultations and agreed on a price, but on the day that I came in to pay they convinced me that I needed to get the plugs to prevent drainage (the purpose is to keep the eyes lubricated). They said one of the side effects after the surgery is dry eyes, and this would help so I bought it for an extra $300. It was useless.

The price I paid covered any enhancement within the first year. The surgery was completed and within the first few months I noticed that my left eye was still a little bit blurry. I spoke with the doctor during the follow-up meetings and she confirmed that there was still a little bit of astigmatism left but give it a few months before we do any enhancements and her enhancement record was low and she does not want to break it. Long story short, I am approaching one year since the surgery and they want to charge me for the follow-up and any enhancements would be an additional cost. Don't get me wrong, the surgery did improve my vision, but the practice that these people are engaged in are absolutely ridiculous.

I'll admit what drew me to the Lasik Eye Institute was pricing. They are a quarter of what others charge. However, one week post-op and I'm at 20/20 in both eyes. The procedure itself was far more intense than I was expecting however it was completely painless. All of the staff were incredibly customer service oriented, very friendly, and completely professional. Dr. ** talked me through every step before, during, and after the procedure. Night time vision is still a little tougher but I'm confident this will improve as I heal. My only regret is not going to the Lasik Eye Institute and having my LASIK surgery done much much sooner.

I had Lasik corrective eye surgery in November 2015 to correct my distance Vision. I was able to see better. However my distance vision was still out of focus. I was told to give it time and as my eyes heal it would get better. I go to my 3 month follow up visit. The distance Vision was still a problem. The doctor tells me he'll have to tweak the original surgery and perform the surgery again. However they'll be getting a newer technology which is better and more precise, if I can wait it's supposed to arrives in April. The doctor then adds I should schedule in May because he'll be more familiar with the new equipment. So I schedule an appt on May 13th. To have my eyes dilated, wait 4hrs or so then have the surgery. Imagine my surprise when I'm told "oh no there's no surgery today." Understandably I'm upset, I have taken a day off work for nothing.

Fast forward I ask to speak to the manager - Julie **. She would not even come out to speak with me regarding this obvious miscommunication. The young lady at the front desk is acting as if I was going to harm her in some way. At no time did I threaten her or use bad language. I'm truly offended! I set up an appt for Saturday at 11:00 w/ the receptionist. The manager Julie ** then calls me about 30 mins later, supposedly after she spoke to the doctor about my case. By the way I don't believe she ever spoke to the doctor. She stated that the doctor said he doesn't recommend Lasik at this point.

I'm pissed! I go back to the office and speak to Julie regarding this sudden change. I requested an appt to speak with the doctor. She gave me the runaround then called back with an appointment in June! No customer service at all! I wish I had seen the reviews on this site prior to the surgery. These are my eyes! Per Julie the manager at my age of 47 the results I received is great. Really how about you keep your views about my age to self! I can't believe these are the kind of people that they have managing others! DO NOT GO TO THE LASIK VISION INSTITUTE IN OAKBROOK IL!!!

When I arrived at the clinic, I needed glasses for reading only. I was told that I was a candidate for monovision. I had the procedure done which was so incredibly painful, I was shocked. They said I needed both eyes done for some reason I didn't really understand. The Dr. seemed tired or overwhelmed, questioning the nurse about what I was even having done, which made me nervous. I now see fairly well for reading but they ruined my distance vision, and I have astigmatism which I did not have before. I have been back every 2 weeks for 3 months trying different things and seeing 3 different doctors.

When I finally said I was done with the whole ordeal, as I felt they were guessing what might help, I said I don't want to return again and I want my $ back for the touch up program I bought as I don't want them touching my eyes again. I received a 3 page legal form which if signed and notarized gets my money back but it had language that states that the Lasik Vision Institute wasn't even involved. It states that the Dr. is not liable and is not affiliated with the clinic either... What??? Do your research better than I did!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Lasik Vision Institute?

For more information about reviews on please visit our FAQ.

I was in need of an Enhancement for the past 8 Months. They kept postponing my surgery. I came in on my day of surgery 3 weeks ago and ready to go inside the surgical room when the manager comes out and tells me with a straight face that the Doctor won't perform the surgery because my file is not up to date and he needs to review it. I had to go through the entire dilation again. They scheduled it for 3 weeks out. I had to make arrangements to get the day's off from work. The day finally arrives, same thing happened. The doctor didn't have time to review the chart and he couldn't operate.

They were unapologetic, unprofessional. Their center manager Lily and Danielle are clueless of everything that happens in that office. I demanded to speak to the Doctor to get a better reason of why he chose not to perform a surgery that takes 5 minutes. They kept me in the office for 2 hours waiting for nothing. I left and that was the end of it. I am so reporting this company and Doctor **.

I read a few of the reviews on ConsumerAffairs and was a little apprehensive at first as the reviews seemed all to be negative. Most seemed focus on the price, but being an elective surgery not covered by insurance, I can see why there are a lot of variables for the cost of the procedure. In any case, I compared the quoted price from the Lasik Vision Institute to others and found it very competitive and during the initial consultation I found no reason to be concerned at all.

Now the amazing part, the day of surgery I literally saw at least 8 people while I waited, all getting surgery. I cannot imagine how many procedures they do, but I will tell you they do tons of procedures. There was a lot of waiting the day of the procedure, but they were very candid up front indicating it would take 2 to 4 hours the day of the procedure and mine was right in line with this timing. Finally, I have no complaints at all of my experience and I think the reviews to date do not reflect the service they offer. I would say the reviews show happy customers do not take the time to review saying they were happy. Thanks!

I was told after initial consultation they could greatly improve my reading vision (even though my vision was 30/20 at the time). On Sept. 11 2014 I had my corrective surgery, I couldn't see anything out of my right eye (which is the only one they did). I was told not to worry, that after a few days everything would be ok. After Three months and very little improvement they did a second surgery on my eye. Dr. ** (who had performed the first surgery and tried very hard to avoid me every time I came in and acted very unprofessional) performed the second surgery. At the time my vision had been 20/2300. After the second surgery my vision got worse and my eye was swollen for two months straight. I had very little support from these people. They just don't care. They assigned some salesman to try and work with me. He just kept telling me to visit the clinic but every time I went the Doctors they had no clue what to do with me.

Dr. ** was usually hiding somewhere. I had to quit my job because I was in so much pain. I had to wear an eye patch whenever I went outside. After hundreds of phone calls to their main office and the salesman they assigned to me I came to the conclusion they would not do anything for me that would cost them any money. After a year and half my eyesight has improved to 20/60. They offered to give me part of my money back if I signed a waiver. I told them all I wanted at this point was for them to pay for glasses for me for three years. I felt that was the least they could do. They refused. These people need to be out of business. Because it's so hard to sue them, they can do stuff like this and not care about people like me. DON'T GO THERE. THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT PEOPLE.

I went in for a consultation after seeing a Groupon for $699 per eye. After being told that my prescription didn't qualify me for the Groupon special and I would have to pay the full price of around $3500 needless to say, I left. So fast forward 6 months later and I see a special going on for $299 per eye! I really wanted my eyes done so I decided to give it another try. No surprise I was told that I didn't qualify for the $299 special, however this time I fibbed a little and told them that when I came in previously I was approved for the $699 special and would just go ahead and do that. What do you know, they said YES! So the $699 special that I wasn't qualified for 6 months ago, I am qualified for now?!? Proving that these people would just rather get $699 per eye from me than $299 per eye or none. She tried to nonchalantly add on a $1000 insurance. Are you serious?!?! NO THANK YOU. $160 eyelid cleaner?!? NO THANK YOU, and conveniently didn't mention that the eye plugs were covered by my insurance. Don't let them take your money!

Fast forward to my last pre-op exam, the tech stated that SHE would need to order a sedative for me because of how jumpy and anxious I get when they were doing any testing on my eyes. It's the day of surgery and staff and doctor seems frazzled because they hadn't viewed my paper work prior to me coming in, since I was from the WPB office but was having it done at the Broward office. After that was all sorted out and everything was ready to go, I had asked numerous people about this sedative I was suppose to get because my anxiety was starting to kick in. Every person I asked told me that I was suppose to have taken it already if I got it and brushed it under the rug.

I am on the operating table and it is freezing to the point where I am trembling. The only person who seemed to notice was a really nice nurse who put a huge blanket on me when immediately helped. If you are not 100% comfortable with someone/something touching your eyeballs DO NOT GO HERE. The Doctor Michael ** has absolutely no patience and even at one point said "You don't want me to mess up do you?" as if I was not cooperating on purpose, and THREATENING that he could possibly mess up my eye surgery?! The whole reason for me getting this surgery was because I cannot even touch my own eyeballs to put contacts in and am sick of wearing glasses. Once again the only person who got me through this surgery from h*ll was the Hispanic nurse who was reminding me to breathe and actually talking me through each step that was happening.

My first post op visit back in WPB was interesting because I had not told anyone at either facility how rude the doctor was yet the first the tech said was "I'm sorry about the doctor" which means that they clearly know how he treats customers before they even complain about him. I am only 19 years old and usually would never care to take the time out to write a review, this being my first, but I thought it was necessary. If you are okay wearing contacts I would recommend that over this facility any day.

I had Lasik in December 2013. My eyes overcorrected themselves which meant many many trips back to Lasik Vision Institute and unfortunately I live 1 1/2 hours away. I then had PRK on left eye one week ago. I have noticed that every time I go, they have a new doctor and you have to explain to them what's going on (in detail) despite the chart in front of them. Today, I went for another follow-up and I was the 4th one scheduled for 10:00. I feel the Lasik Vision Institute is unfortunately going towards volume of patients rather than customer service. Very Sad!!! Our eyes are so important to us and we need quality doctor's and staff taking care of us.

Do not go here. I went and received a free consultation one Saturday morning, went very well. The doctor wasn't in so I had to take time off of work the following Monday to get my eyes dilated, I get it stuff happens BUT nothing prepared me for what would happen next. I scheduled my surgery for a Friday at 2 pm. I was put off by how pushy they were of trying to up sell you. This is a doctors office not a retail store but nonetheless I know how to say no. My fiancé and I took off work and arrived at the office at 1:45. I was not called back until 3 pm. From there I made my full payment and was put in the waiting room and told to take my meds in about 15 minutes.

An hour later I was pulled into yet another waiting area. (I've now been in the facility for 2 hours.) I sit and wait for another hour watching people who got there after me get called in before me. I am never confronted about how long I've been waiting and never received any warning or apology. Around 4:45 I hear the surgeon yelling at the nurses about how he is over booked and he refuses to see anymore patients. The nurse comes out and calls yet another person who got there after me in for surgery. I've now been in the facility for 4 hours. A woman, I'm assuming the manger, pulls me out of the room and tells me the surgeon will not be seeing me and I can either go to Cleveland (4 hours away) tomorrow or reschedule for a later date. I explain to her that my fiancé and I both took off work and drove almost an hour for nothing.. how unprofessional is that.

You guys are running 5 hours behind schedule and you didn't see that coming!?!?!? That is piss poor management and a sorry excuse for a business. I asked her why this happened and she explained she didn't know and maybe the doctor was tired (as he is in the other room performing surgery). In short this place drugged me, made me wait 4+ hours, robbed me and then sent me home empty handed. DO NOT GO HERE!!!!!

The people I dealt with were nice and professional. I have a problem with a $300 advertised price per eye and then the quote is 4 times that amount. I drove in from 90 miles away to learn that my prescription put me in a higher price range. Couldn't they advertise a range of prices for each prescription?

My wife had corrective surgery. To get a warranty they require that you come in for checkups. They then make the service as bad as possible, apparently in a bid to drive people away and spoil their warranty. They make appointments but then do not have staff on hand to provide service. I find this unconscionable and deceptive. I hope others express similar views and that you act against this shabby practice.

While not completely false advertising, the internet ad for this company is quite misleading. I took the time to schedule an appointment and travel 150 miles, with hotel, food, gas, etc., based on the August special advertised (as low as $299 per eye - for laser surgery). Once there and evaluated, my cost would have been $3495.

The company ran an ad the first 100 people it was $299.00 per eye. We drove 180 miles one way. After over 2 hours we got to talk to a man, who by the time he was finished with his pitch, it would have been over $2000, per eye. He said my husband needed a special machine to do his eyes and it cost more money to use that machine. Then he got mad and rude when we said we didn't have that kind of money and told my husband he guessed he like to wear glasses.

On March 29, 2003, I went supposedly for a free consultation to The Lasik Vision Institute located at 2050 N. University Dr., Sunrise, FL 33322 (954-741-3307). The same day, I had to deposit $100 in order them to perform a Lasik Exam to determine my candidacy. This amount was going to be applied towards the total surgery amount if I decided to go ahead with the surgery.

Since everything went well, I agreed to schedule an appointment on April 19, 2003 at 8:30 a.m... I did whatever I was told to do in order to make the surgery possible; used the eye drops (Ocuflox) the day before the surgery as instructed, did not wear any make-up, showed up on time to the surgery, etc.. While waiting for the surgeon they checked all the paperwork and inserted the ocular plugs on both eyes. Two hours later, I was notified that the surgeon couldn't perform the surgery because I had a high prescription on my left eye.

I believe that this is unethical and unprofessional because they should have notified me that I was not a candidate at the time of the Lasik exam not two weeks later at the time of the surgery to avoid going through all the hassle. Another thing, the manager, **, said that he was not going to charge me for the plugs and refused to return $100 deposit stating that the deposit was nonrefundable and it was to cover the doctors time. What about mine?

First of all, I never got to meet the surgeon, secondly, the $100 deposit was to determine my candidacy which obviously I was eligible, that's why the surgery was scheduled and thirdly, they inserted the ocular plugs without the surgeons consent because the only reason for inserting the plugs was to help me with the healing process of the surgery, which was never performed.

I strongly believe that this company is providing misleading information by advertising free Lasik consultation. It is also a production line where the doctor review the patients chart a couple of minutes before the surgery and they are incurring in illegal practices by inserting things when they are not needed. After all, I am happy that the doctor rejected the surgery because it seems that he was not highly qualified doctor due to the fact that I have been evaluated by another doctor at Bascom Palmers and she have already determined my eligibility.

RESOLUTION: I expect to get a credit back for $100 and I would like an for you to investigate this company because I believe that this place is a scam, they are incurring in illegal practices and need to investigate the physicians credentials. Thanks in advance for your anticipated cooperation.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

With more than 1 million successful procedures performed nationwide, The Lasik Vision Institute is a leading provider of laser vision correction surgeries. Their commitment to affordability helps bring the option of LASIK to everyone.

• Pricing: The Lasik Vision Institute strives to keep the costs of LASIK as reasonable as possible, helping to make it affordable for all budgets.
  • Financing: Given the out-of-pocket costs associated with LASIK, it is no surprise that they offer in-house financing to make payments reasonable for any budget.
  • Customized surgical procedures: Surgery is not a one-size-fits-all solution, which makes a customized option the best way to go to get the most impressive results.
  • Locations: Whenever a franchise offers a service, there are always the best locations and the worst. On top of that, the doctor you meet for an initial consult may not be the surgeon performing the procedure.
  • Referral rewards: By offering you a reward for sending friends to the same location, it calls into question the quality of service. If you truly believe they offer the best service, of course you will refer your friends. Offering a reward for that referral can come across as unprofessional to some consumers.
  • Best for The professional, The adventurer, Sun lovers, Extremely visually impaired

Compare LASIK Surgery Center