2. Invention and Patent Services

4.1/5 (333 ratings)

About InventHelp

InventHelp helps people patent and market their invention ideas to companies. InventHelp can assist you with pitching your ideas to retailers or obtaining a licensing deal. The company can also refer you to a lawyer for a preliminary patentability search and opinion. Other services include creating videos with 3D renderings and as well as 3D prototype model packages with professional sketching and illustration.

Pros

• 3D prototyping services
  • Confidentiality agreements
  • More than 60 offices nationwide
  • Patent referrals

Cons

• No legal services
  • No pricing information

Bottom Line

InventHelp creates 3D prototyping and animation for your invention. It helps you market your idea to companies and find an attorney if you need a patent. The company has local offices throughout the U.S.

InventHelp Reviews

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about InventHelp?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about InventHelp?

Original review: Aug. 22, 2012

I answered a newspaper want ad for an engineer to evaluate new inventions and markets for them. I went into an interview with this "Invention Submission Company" that had a "top executive" who told me what his company did. He showed me his latest "super-duper market-buster" of a plastic practice golf ball that recorded the distance of a drive with a plastic plug (like the pop up thermometer on a roast turkey). Then he hit me with the big pitch: If I joined his company, I would be expected to contribute funds to go toward advertising the company. He wanted me to pay to work there! That is the level these people stoop to. Here is the kicker: This happened in the summer of 1971! So you see, the shafting started long ago and continues today!

Original review: Aug. 20, 2012

I entered a contract with InventHelp in 2007 with the hope of them getting an idea of mine marketed. My idea was a nail care product. At first, I received correspondence from them on a fairly regular basis. After a while, it slowed down substantially until it finally stopped all together. Shortly after my payments (over ten thousand dollars) were finished and my contract expired, I saw an advertisement for a product that was a carbon copy of my idea. Sally Hansen (a large nail care company) was advertising their new product as a new "invention" and it was the exact same as mine.

InventHelp had me sign confidentiality papers and I know I did not tell anyone about my idea, but how do I know they kept their end of the bargain? I find it really ironic that a large company found my idea interesting enough to come out with a product based on it, but InventHelp couldn't get anyone else interested. I feel ripped off because either they did nothing for me or they sold my idea on their own. At this point in time, I would at least like my investment back!

Original review: July 25, 2012

They lead you to believe that they (2) are the original "inventors" who have made so much money that they want to help others get started, not true. But it takes forever to finally figure out that "they" are simply a scam franchise. Don’t give them any info regarding yourself or marketing idea. If you do, you may as well say goodbye to it. Find your own financial backing, not these guys.

Original review: June 28, 2012

This happened a few years ago. It’s the same company. I sent them over $600.00 before I realized this was a scam. I demanded my money back, but they filed bankruptcy and I received nothing. I see them on TV all the time. I should have sent this warning the first time I saw it. I hope I helped some of you.

Original review: April 19, 2012

It’s very hard to contact them and there’s no follow up after payment. I’m getting worried now that I read more and more of these comments. I would be happy for anyone from InventHelp to proactively contact me!

Original review: April 4, 2012

I was going to use InventHelp for an idea/working model for help with a patent. I was contacted and later requested an unsigned copy of their non-disclosure form that InventHelp and I would sign at their office. I wanted my personal attorney to review it first. I was told they do not do that and I would have to review and sign their document when I made an appointment in their office. I am not an attorney. This threw up a really big red flag for me. The lawyer represents InventHelp and not me. For them not to be willing to just send me the form for review is not understandable.

Original review: March 10, 2012

InventHelp took my money for an initial packet. After months of contacting them, they never sent me a product. Then six months later, the rep Arron called me trying to sell me more junk. I politely informed him that I never received a product and he told me he would call me back. I finally decided to contact the BBB and they produced false documents saying they sent the packet months ago. Please don't do any business with this company.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2012

I had a problem with InventHelp but we worked together to come to a very satisfying conclusion. I am happy we could work this out. Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2011

I don't know if Invent Help is a scam, or if their rep here in South Florida is an idiot. He doesn't seem to have a grasp on things. Maybe that's part of Invent Help's business plan. I didn't give Invent Help any money, and I asked their rep Arron ** not to contact me.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2011

Orion ** led me to his office. They told me that if my idea was not patentable, I would get a refund. My invention is not patentable. I called to get my money back, and now he lies and said he never told me that. Now, I am out $835.00. There was a lot of talking, but no refund. Invent Help is not helpful. I wonder how many others have this problem.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2011

I met Aaron, too, and he took my money. I’m out almost $800 and have nothing to show for it. After 6 weeks, I got squat. I asked for my money back and got nothing but **. How about a class action against InventHelp and some of these reps that took our money?

Original review: Nov. 15, 2011

Prior to being InventHelp, they were located in San Diego under the company name ISC. My wife and I took our invention to them and paid time payments for the search and booklet to be made for us of our invention. When they were discovered from many unhappy customers, they reimbursed them their money after being found out as a company that scammed people and were being sued. Shortly after, they moved to San Marcos Blvd. under the name InventHelp (100e. San Marcos Blvd., San Marcos, CA 92069; phone, (866)-804-3327).

The question me and my wife ask ourselves is should we go to an attorney for not having our money refunded, not to mention our invention being marketed in other countries? Feeling like we do, we feel we’ve been not only scammed but robbed of an invention that now is sold in other countries. Where is our justice in being compensated for our losses? Maybe you could consider telling us what can be done for our loss and painful suffering this had caused us over the years. Wow I felt like speaking out first to ask, what should we do? Thank you and have a nice day!

Original review: Nov. 8, 2011

InventHelp took our money gladly, but didn't do much on our part about it! Every time we called for updates we would receive a letter listing all companies that don't agree with the invention. Never a positive!! If we didn't call they, would never update us!!

Original review: Oct. 18, 2011

In good faith and total professionalism, InventHelp has reached out to me and worked with me to resolve my complaints and I am pleased to say that InventHelp has went above and beyond their professionalism to ensure my satisfaction and I am happy to say that everything has been resolved. Thanks.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2011

This company is fraudulent and does nothing to assist unsuspecting and eager clients. They receive monies under false pretenses. My goal is to obtain a full refund. I have gotten further with my idea in a few weeks on my own than I did with InventHelp for one year.

InventHelp response

We reached out to this client and reached an amicable resolution to her concerns.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2011

I would like to give my update on my complaints against InventHelp. InventHelp has reached out to me; they worked with me in good faith and with total professionalism to resolve my complaints. I am pleased to say that InventHelp went above and beyond their professionalism to ensure my satisfaction. I am happy to say that everything has been resolved thank you.

Original review: July 29, 2011

When I got there, he was very nice. We talked for about three hours and he collected 995.00 dollars from me. How they come up with the amount to start with is weird. I have read many complaints and they all pay some thing different to start the process.

Original review: July 20, 2011

I started a program with InventHelp back in October 2010 which is called the Inventors mailing program. But when I finally received my product, it looked like something I could do going to a printing shop or company and for a lot less than what I paid InventHelp. Yes, I signed the contract but I thought I would have gotten more for my money.

I had to sign up with a finance company because at the time I didn't have the money that was needed. It cost me almost $4000 for their services and products and I feel like I got ripped off. I called several times about the product I received and told them that I feel that the products and services were poor and that what I am paying for and what I received just do not add up. I still owe the finance company $1700 but for what?

I just don't see what Invent help did for the almost $1900 I paid and I feel like I should get a refund and they should cancel my contract. Ms.** said that she would cancel my contract for the balance and make sure that the finance company would not put anything negative on my credit report, but I feel that I should get some of my money back too. If I am wrong about the way I feel I will be the first to apologize and I will accept the initial agreement with Ms.**.

Original review: March 11, 2011

I called InventHelp and ended up meeting with a Mr. Paul *** at the Rockville, MD location. I also met with him at a restaurant in Stafford, VA just off 610 to do paperwork for my so-called invention "Bra Pac. " I was lead to believe that this company would help me put this on the market and submit my idea to different companies and this was started in 2005. Mr. *** presented the company well with never, ever making any eye contact with me! I put up a down payment of $1500 and had a balance of about $7000 to pay off.

What I did not realize is that my funds paid for a presented package to give me the impression that my idea was original! What I did not know is that even with all the words I am associated with, the one key word I did not use is the one key word that threw me into this company. If I had used the one key word to show me that the idea was already on the market I would not have wasted my money. I am 99% sure that the individuals that represent InventHelp in Rockville, MD and in Pittsburgh, PA had the time of their life using my funds for the idea I submitted that I thought was original. Anybody with an idea should definitely go to a lawyer first, not InventHelp, because you will truly lose your money.

Also, before signing any paperwork make sure you use all resources to see that there are no other inventions or ideas like the one you are coming up with. There is nothing wrong with believing in your idea but when you are emotionally, mentally pushed into believing in something and then spend all your money you will be making a mistake without doing the proper research. It pays to have the funds to do everything the legal way prior to signing the company's documents.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2010

I went there to get an idea patent on a product called the Rock-A-bye. I didn't have all the money to get it manufactured but I had the concept and everything down to the wire. Now a couple of years later I see the product online ready to hit stores. I know deep down inside my idea was stolen and sold and not kept confidential like I was told it would be. I'm feeling hurt and robbed out of millions. This was an idea for kids. For you to have a meeting with someone and share all ideas about the product—that’s just wrong!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2010

My business partner and I contracted the services of Invent Help to assist us in an effort to patent, and market our product idea. The initial payment of two thousand dollars we gave them, was for a domestic patent search. The results of the search came back with the conclusion that there were no similar patented items found similar to ours.

They only revealed two related items, and one of them was for an animal. Our product is for people. After two years our contract with invent Help ended. We subsequently decided to have a local patent attorney firm, do another patent search and product assessment. Within three weeks they had a report ready for us with there findings. They had found several similar invention ideas, and one product that was basically the same idea my partner and I had. Invent Helps patent searches we feel are inadequate at best, and incompetent at worst. Buyers beware. The total amount my partner and I are out is $13,000.00.

Original review: July 23, 2010

I presented my idea which I had on my position prototype to a gentleman at the San Marcos Corporate Office. After I called and made an appointment, a man named W as last name talked to me. He went through his company policy and options. I filled out some paper work and I told him that I had a prototype and I showed it to him. His demeanor changed and he said that we can try it and we did. He requested that I allow him to call his partner. His partner came in the office.

They stepped out of the office for 10 minutes or so and he said that there’s what they have in mind. He said that they have a video crew next door. They are going to video this idea and said to call them in 2 weeks. I called back and the receptionist said that the man I talked to is gone! This is only the start. I'll be happy to talk to some one in person. I’m so upset. This was 3 years ago and my idea is in this person's hands. Please call me somebody. My invention is hot and one of a kind. I’ve been beside myself and this has affected my health tremendously. Please, is there any body that really cares? God I hope so.

Original review: May 19, 2010

I found a local location to invent help in my area and decided to walk in. I met a man by the name of Arron. He was willing to help me after we spoke for a moment, even though I did not have an appointment. So we proceeded to his office to talk. He explained who he was and that he could help me 6 weeks later after giving a downpayment and all the articles he needed such as photos, detailed drawings, and his reassurance.

I never received any feedback, so I took it upon my self to review where my file stands and what step it was at after calling the corperate office. I found that he never submitted any of my paperwork, so I asked the woman I spoke to from the corporate office what I had to do to resolve my issue. She said I had to deal with him.

So I called, and he had every excuse in the book to try and calm me. I told him politely the situation and that I would rather deal with someone else who would help me and not want to deal with him. Now he will not leave me alone repesded calls text messages. I haven't heard anything in 6 weeks. And after I tried to report my issue, he called me over 10 times within an hour, trying to explain his self. I refused to talk to him, and he texted messages to me.

Then 5 minutes later, he has another rep call me saying that corporate emailed him my file saying that he was in charge of my case. Then he slipped and said corporate will FedEx him my case the following day. Needless to say, I paid them to do nothing; and they never submitted my paperwork. I feel i have been robbed. Where did my money actually go? These guys are a bunch of wannabe con men till they met me. Now, they will not leave me alone. I don't know where to go from here. Please help me. I can explain more over the phone. I'm not really sure I got everything in this letter.

Original review: May 15, 2010

I don't have a complaint at this time. I need to find out if this company is legit at what they offer. My husband and I went to speak to Ms. ** on 5/14/10 at 3 pm at the location listed above about an invention that he has in mind. It all sounds great and dandy but as I read the statements left on this site, I wonder should we try to deal with them? I told my husband we shouldn't. It is a lot of money that we as unemployed people shouldn't be wasting. But we are desperate. So my question is do you have any company that will help us with the invention and not take us and our money for a ride? Has anything been resolved with these people that have complaints against InventHelp? And I also would like to know about any lawsuits or other complaints about InventHelp so I can finally convince my husband that I will not use my hard earned so it can go to waste. Thank you.

Original review: April 7, 2010

I feel victim to Invent Help's lies.I gave them a large amount of money using my credit card, and I got nothing but a book with what they thought I wanted to hear. They then told me they had given my product to some business. They asked me to wait around while see new products first. I checked with a few of the companies. They had never remembered seeing my product. Others where not reachable at all. Me and my lawyer are looking for others to join in a class action suit against Invent Help. My credit rating was ruined. My credit cards were shut off. I am unable to get a home loan, or a long time career, I have wanted for many years.

Original review: April 7, 2010

Back a number of years ago, I went and discussed my invention with them. I filled out the paperwork, paid them close to $1,400.00 or so (I do not have exact amount in front of me!). However, we drafted up papers for them to do a research on any previous patents, review the product's potential to market (market analysis) and to make recommendations as to whether I should proceed with a patent. Of course, the response was yes. I was then offered three packages of marketing/patenting options, all over $9,000.00. I did not have the money to cover that amount then of course they offered a payment arrangement. Still I was apprehensive.

For years prior to my visit to their office, I queried the internet to see if my product or something similar was already being made or sold. There was never any hits. Strangely enough, after about a year of my visit to ISC, there it was on the internet! In another country and then another! Crazy enough, I discovered that these two countries are affiliated countries of ISC. Now, isn't that a coincidence? It isn't in the US but the description and the product is so similar it is amazing. They almost use my description "word for word" and it reflects in my paperwork. I did print off the pages that I could of the product online. I am so upset! I held onto my idea for over 20 years and then trusted them and this is the thanks I get. Talk about a company ripping of the consumer.

In my opinion, I can prove they stole my idea and are using/selling it in their associated countries (I had a relative that knew a patent attorney that searched for my idea. The report ISC gave me did not bring up a search that came close but this other attorney said he doesn't see how they could have missed it, but it was closer than the ones they included in their report). Just many other interesting actions they did in the beginning was strange. I am out money and feel violated knowing that my idea is selling in other countries and like I said, it is almost word for word that I explained to them. I am afraid that someone will think that I am trying to steal their idea now if I proceed to develop/market/attempt to license here in the US.

Original review: April 5, 2010

InventHelp has scammed me out of close to $5,000 in the last 2 years. They do not render the services that you pay for. I told them I wanted my invention materials back and I would finish paying for their services, I was told that I could not get my materials back. Why not? They belong to me. The consequence is $5,000 down the drain. I could be dealing with a company that is honest.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2010

I invented two items that cost me approximately $30,000 that I put out of our family's pocket. It took two years for Invent Help to let me know that my inventions didn't pass because of some safety concerns. The law firm contracted by Invent Help then requested more money to redesign my inventions. The impression I received when I contracted with Invent Help was that they would review my designs and help me with any flaws in them to help market them to potential investors. That is what I was told I being charged for, not review now and charge more later. I am very new to this and I had ideas. I feel that Invent Help took advantage that I was inexperienced in this and now want to charge me more money for my ideas. I don't agree with the new charges for redesign since that is what I paid for to begin with; meaning I paid for them to find the flaws before we submitted them to potential investors. My family has been very supportive, but now we need real answers and all they want is more money.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2009

I signed up with InventHelp and I have been making all these payments and still in contract with them. I have been struggling to make $200 payments every month and they can't seem to tell me what is going on. I feel that I am being scammed. I had to move out of my 2 bedroom apartment to a studio, just to spend less money to keep up with the payments. Things are really difficult for me at the moment.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2009

I submitted an idea for an invention, FireExcell (fingerprint activated firearm), that would use the fingerprint recognition (biometrics) to access and unlock a weapon. I received a book, many bogus letters of submissions to companies and after the last payment was made, it was like I fell off the earth. The only thing InventHelp did was help themselves to my money, dream and humiliation. I have no idea how to handle this matter for a refund as all my money was tied up with the invention. If anyone can offer ideas, information or assistance, it would be greatly appreciated. After serving for 22 years in active duty as a marine and the things I have experienced, this is the worst. I am out of about $10,000.00 of my retirement money.

InventHelp Company Information