Formerly named Exede

3.6/5 (526 ratings)

About Viasat

Viasat Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Viasat?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Viasat?

Original review: June 14, 2022

In my area, unfortunately our only option for internet was Viasat. We called and inquired about setting up services. At the time I informed them that I VPN in for work, stream our TV and media, and play games on occasion. I was told that the package would be able to handle all of this. From day 1 though the internet just never worked for us. It was extremely slow and was disconnected often. I couldn't work from home like I was promised and ended up just using my mobile Hotspot to get anything done.

I thought maybe this was due to cloudy/rainy weather so I gave it time but even on the clearest days, it didn't work. About 10 days into our service I called them and was told we already used our data for the month. I was blown away. $150 monthly and we went through our data in the first week. They said we could pay extra for more data but I told them it didn't work when we supposedly had data so I wasn't going to pay more. I called a few days later to disconnect my service and now they want to charge me $360 to terminate a 24-month contract.

I never signed a contract with them and I told them I didn't feel like they should charge that since they promised us a service that we never received. They were not understanding at all, they gave no resolution to try to fix the problem, instead offering to give me a discount of $30 a month for 6 months. They told me I should have an e-mail with information and my contract but I never received anything from them. I have no account information besides the customer service number and my account number that I was given when I initially called to set up service. Regardless... It's completely unacceptable that they are backing their customers into a corner like this. I feel scammed and at the end of the day, we have no internet and will be over $500 in the hole. I'm sick over this... Please do not use this company! Don't make the same mistake I made.

Original review: June 10, 2022

I switched from CenturyLink to Viasat because satellite internet was the only internet available in my area. CenturyLink was completely unlimited with no throttling for around $79.00 with speeds of about 75mbps. The highest speed offered by Viasat was 100mbps and gave unlimited data for up to 150gig the unlimited standard data. While using 2 tvs with fire stick I ran out of data after less than a week. The standard data was not capable of quality streaming on two devices so it became useless to me after less than a week.

Every time a storm passed I would lose internet service and it was very unreliable. The actual speed that I was getting was 50mbps which is much less than the 100mbps speed advertised. They do not offer trial period cancellation to try the service. If you cancel the next day because it’s not working properly, they will charge you the full $360 cancellation fee to the payment on file. I believe they do this because their service is cancelled often. I Would not recommend Viasat for any streaming or anything that needs constant internet access without outages.

Get buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 24, 2022

I canceled my service on 03/21/22, noticed a draft notice out of my account the next month. I called back 04/17 and it was supposed to be taken care of then. On 5/17 called back because there was another draft notice. They have taken 3 full payments on an account I had shut off. This is not ok, that they can tell me, "Oh well we do not have proof you ever called," even though I had reference numbers and dates called.

Original review: May 19, 2022

Sales rep will advise tech come & conduct a site survey point to point to ensure the signal strength & determine if their services will function properly based on your needs. Tech guy comes & confirms it's a lie, they only activate & can't do such. So, you're stuck w a 2 year contract for services for wifi that doesn't work. And you're dealing with Viasat who does the sales & customer service & an outside company in Laredo TX who does the installation. Total disconnect, pointing fingers.

Original review: May 11, 2022

IN brief, Viasat cannot deliver any claim it provides. Easy and convenient install? NOpe. Took 4 different attempts to get service installed - well after I'd entered a service agreement! It took 3 weeks to get installed once we got the appointment, so I paid fees and costs without service. But, once it was installed, those lightning fast speeds.... AOL dialup has a new challenger. And, get this, the download/update that MUST be done before you can use your internet? 2 gigs in size, and it automatically counts against your data use! Finally, when I cancelled, I knew I was going to have to pay an early termination fee, and that was fine.

I also gave them my forwarding address so I could get the label to return their equipment. I gave them that information TWICE. Seems they had no problem charging me for termination, but getting them to send me the label THEY WANT for equipment I want to GIVE BACK shouldn't be an issue.... but here we are. Look, I truly think it's a comprehension issue. Their customer service fully understands and uses English well. They just can't comprehend what you say to them. And using smaller words does NOT help, trust me.

Original review: May 11, 2022

For $120/month service should be lightning fast all month. Instead you get 1 maybe 2 days of decent service, then they tell you you have used up all of your high speed Internet and you can buy more that will probably last 1/2 day. If you have any technical difficulties their foreign outsourced customer service doesn't know anything. It's always, "Turn the modem off for a minute then turn it back on." This company is the worst Internet service and customer service I have ever had. Will be switching to something else ASAP.

Original review: May 4, 2022

The service was very erratic. At times it seemed to work okay and many times it was extremely slow. The time came I needed a service that would work over a VPN and this service would not work. I called just a couple days after my billing cycle, and they insisted it was their policy to charge me for the entire month despite no longer able to use their service during this period. When I asked to speak to a manager, they said it would be a long time on hold. I requested a call back and they said they do not do call backs. Pretty much the service sucks all around including their customer service. IMO - Very unethical and unprofessional, Beware!

Original review: May 4, 2022

They only option for rural internet in Hawaii, signed a 24 month contract and was always exceeding my “allowed” internet 2 days after it renewed for the month. Suffered thru until there was another option. Took them a month and a half to get me a box to return my equipment, which I dropped at Ups the next day! Fast forward 5 months later they deducted the money from my account for the equipment that they claim I never sent back! Have my receipt and proof of delivery and they are “looking” into it. Still waiting for them to credit me my money. Customer service sucks!!!

Original review: April 28, 2022

We tried Viasat internet for our business as we are in a rural area with no other options. Their service was very expensive at $250/monthly and signal was nearly always bad. After cancelling and returning the equipment, nearly three months later they charged our credit card $312 for non-receipt. The rep asked us for the tracking number to verify the return (which is odd because they are the ones that provided the label affixed to the box for return). Good thing we kept the tracking information and took a photo. Now they state it will take 7-14 days to return our funds. We are not waiting. Disputing the charges today with our bank!

Original review: April 20, 2022

Viasat will bill you for your unlimited data plan but about 4 days into your cycle they inform you that you've reached 100% of your data available. But, if you'd like to buy more you absolutely can. This service is terrible, customer service is unhelpful, not even in the US. This company will continue to take money and not provide the service that they claim they provide.

Viasat Company Information