3.9/5 (2656 ratings)

About Verizon Fios

Verizon Fios is a 100% fiber optic network providing customers with high-speed internet. Fiber optic cables allow data to move at some of the highest upload and download speeds available. Verizon offers fiber optic internet, TV streaming and home phone services as individual services and in bundles. Fios is shorthand for the full title of Fiber Optic Service.

Pros

• Fast upload/ download speeds
  • Can bundle with other Fios products
  • No annual contracts

Cons

• Only available in certain states
  • High installation fee

Bottom Line

Verizon Fios offers some of the fastest internet speeds available. Customers can choose a package that fits their needs and budget. Bundling with TV streaming is available. Verizon Fios is only available in select states.

Top Verizon Fios Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

We love Verizon Fios triple play and would never go back to anything else. Very reliable, reasonable and never had a problem. We rely on the internet for many things personal and ...

Verified

I’ve used Verizon as a service provider for over 10 years and would happily engage them for all communications service. Without doubt they are far superior to most others and shou...

What is Fios?

Verizon Fios is a fiber optic service that provides internet, TV and phone services.

The company offers several plans so you can find one with speeds that work for your household. Whether you and your family love to stream movies, play games online or just browse the internet, there’s a plan that fits your needs. This includes the option to bundle streaming television into your package.

Verizon promises customers will experience uninterrupted streaming, less buffering and easier sharing. It can also handle streaming 4K ultra-high definition video. This makes it a great service for households with many users on multiple devices.

How does Fios work?

Verizon Fios uses a fiber optic cable to transfer data for your high-speed internet. Fiber optic cables are delicate components made of hundreds of strands of glass about the size of a strand of hair. With this technology, Verizon says music, videos and photos can load as much as 25 times faster.

Getting Verizon Fios installed is an easy process. The service can be ordered online, at which point you set up an installation date. On installation day, the Verizon technician installs the optical network terminal — the equipment that translates the data from the fiber optic cable — and the router. The technician also adds any necessary wires or wall jacks.

Verizon Fios prices

Verizon offers several Fios plans to choose from. There are internet-only plans that generally range from $39.99 to $79.99 monthly, depending on the download speed. Fios plans, including television channels or online TV streaming, typically fall between $39.99 and $90 plus taxes each month.

Verizon also offers mix-and-match options to help you find the package that suits you. These options let you choose your internet speed, TV channels and extras, such as home protection. There’s a $99 installation fee unless you sign up during a promotional period. Verizon no longer has annual contracts, however, so you’re not locked in long term.

Verizon Fios FAQ

Is Fios free with Verizon?
Fios is not free with Verizon. Your cost will vary based on the speed you choose when you purchase a package. There is also an installation fee.
Where is Fios available?
Fios is available in select cities in New York, Maryland, Virginia, Delaware, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania and Rhode Island and Washington, D.C. If Fios isn’t available in your area, Verizon’s high-speed internet might be offered.
How can I get Verizon Fios?
If the service is available in your area, you can order Fios online. You can access the app once you purchase a plan. A technician then comes to your home to install your Fios box and cables.
Is Amazon Prime on Fios TV?
An Amazon Prime app is not currently available on Fios TV, but customers can find other online streaming apps like Hulu or Disney Plus. Verizon also has a Fios on-demand service that lets customers find popular movies and TV.

Is Verizon Fios good?

For those who live in areas where Verizon Fios is available, the service is a great choice. Unfortunately, Verizon’s Fios availability is limited to certain cities in Northeastern states. No annual contracts mean that if you’re not happy with your choice, you don’t have to finish a contract before changing your package. Whether you only need internet service or are looking for a TV and internet bundle, Verizon has a suitable package and is worth checking out.

Verizon Fios Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Verizon Fios?

Original review: Oct. 20, 2021

I was upset and perturbed when I got on the call with a customer service rep called Jay bc I had gone into specifically the Fios website about 2 weeks ago and PAUSED autopay bc I only had half of the bill owed...the IT dept never received the notif and I was deducted 120 dollars today which put my account (checking) into the negative and I was already late for an appt and decided to hurry home to take care.

Mr. Sam ** was so nice and explanatory and took care of the issue and refunded the monies and set up my new notifications and eased my worry about the account going into neg. He was pleasantly helpful and I hung up with a nice feeling of how they received my concern and handled it in a few minutes with no problem. Thanks to Mr. Sam ** who was the supervisor and also in future to call and ask for him if I needed. I highly recommend fios bc the other company I had been using wasn't as efficient and also more expensive than fios so a great thanks today and I won't worry about my checking acct now and will apparently receive the refund in only 2-3 biz days as opposed to the standard 7-14 days!! Wow thanks again Mr. **!!

Original review: Oct. 2, 2021

Good quality internet as long as installed correctly data speed and quality of latency is good. The equipment that they provide is good however you can purchase the equipment instead of renting it which would save you money on the service itself because they charge a monthly rental fee otherwise. Verizon has won JD Power for Excellence for a few year in a row and in comparison to other providers that I have experienced, the service and quality of their product internet and tv quality is superior and they also offer more channels than other carriers. A lot of people may say it's just internet or just tv but when it comes to pricing but it matters where you getting what you pay for. Pay attention to the upload and and download speed that other providers offer. People believe that streaming is download only however, it all depends where you are getting your content and streaming from that decides.

Get buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2020

I went from Comcast to Verizon Fios, I remember that Comcast would always do work on Sunday afternoons when I would watch football. It was so frustrating. Why wouldn't they do upgrades or fixes on the weekdays when people are at work. Also the bill was extremely high. There are so many options for free tv now. All you need to internet. Say no to high bills.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2020

I would highly recommend Verizon Fios internet. I never have a problem with my service. I also have cable and landline with Verizon. If I ever have a problem with my cable tv, I called the tech department and I get it resolved immediately- the tech team is great. I tell my friends that have Spectrum or Time Warner to switch over to Verizon Fios if they are having problems with their service. I have been a customer of Verizon for 47 years and have no reason to change. Try them - you will be very satisfied.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2020

Not good at email system. Complicated structure. But good customer service. Be careful because they try to knock off people from commitment plans in order to up price by losing your recording. And their prices are unfair. 69.99 for new customers. 130 for regular customers. They keep going up and losing desired channels. I get just basics triple play and it works for me. It makes a secure reliable wireless.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

I want to review a Rep whose name was Mike at the Orange Plaza location in Middletown New York 10940. This man helped me tremendously with very little effort. He seemed very educated and comfortable with what he was doing and how he went about how he solved my issue. I would like to see more people like him.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2021

I am writing this with serious disappointments. On Thursday the 09/30 I saw a technician from Verizon worked in my next door neighbor. Since then I lost my service (internet connection). And Friday the 10/01 I chatted with live agent for about 3 hours trying to fix this issue while I supposed be working. Unfortunately Nothing was fixed. But the agent set up a service for me on the 10/02. After the technician fixed my service on the 10/02 they screwed up my neighbor's service. And the same day we lose service again. Then I chatted and called the customer services. No one was able to help. Then a supervisor spoke to me, hang up on me before resolving the issue.

Then I call back again 10/04 Monday. After 3-4 hours in a call I was connected with a gentleman name Leonard who was able to figure out that the service was sold to the same exact address twice. Then he said he fixed it by making basement apartment 1 and 2. Which separates the address. Cause in the same address there is 2 basement apartment. And he set up the service again on the 10/06. Technician came fixed it about 4 hours later we lost the service again. Now exactly 6 Days we are out of service back and forth, where technician came 3 times fixed our service, and screwed up our neighbors service. When they came to fixed our neighbor's service they messed up our service. This is a joke. How Verizon's internal systems allows to sell service to same exact Address twice???

You guys came fixe the service this morning and it's now Out again. The router is yellow. This needs to resolve and credit me for 3 months free service because I have to go through this Non-Sense. In past 6 days I at least chatted for 8 hours and spoke to representatives, Supervisor, and manager for about 12-15 hours to fix a issue that I have nothing to do with. And I wasn't able to work in Friday the 1st. Me and my wife mostly work from home. It's really frustrating what is happening. I seek urgent attention of hire management to take this matter serious and fix the issue ASAP and courtesy credit me in the highest possible limit.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2021

My bill is extremely high and I’m considering getting rid of cable and just using the internet to stream. The monthly rate is insane. A lot of people I know don’t have cable anymore just internet but even Verizon internet service is expensive.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2021

I am glad they added weather channel back to the roster! Never really have any issues. If I do, just resetting the box top usually fixes it. Wish the price was a tad cheaper. I did have some discounts from work, but seems like one was revoked for some reason.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2021

Verizon internet services is very reliable. When I travel I have no problems with the internet. No drop calls. It's very fast too. They are always ready to answer your questions regarding their service. It's a little pricey, but I love it.

Verizon Fios Company Information