People PC

Compare Internet Service Providers

Research top Internet Service Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Since I switched to Comcast service from People PC dial-up phone service, I did request to cancel provided with my Google e-mail address, not People PC, e-mail address on 06-06-2006. I received not even single e-mail letter from People PC regarding my cancellation and I believed that it was cancelled but I just found out they have been collected monthly fee of $2.95 from my credit card which I did set up auto pay at that time, for 8 years from 06-2009 to 06-19-2016, which I never use any service at all. I request for re-fund and they said e-mail is not allow for cancellation. Why not let me know this at that time but keep collected for 8 years. Finally I did cancel and I am glad I did cancel from People PC - dishonor business.

On 10 /05/15 I called People PC today, cancel my services with them because I never use their services. They tried to make me pay 16.95. I don't own a home phone, and a phone is needed have dial-up services. They refuse to do so then the guy got nasty and threaten what will happen if I don't pay them this money and the letter came from People PC customer services, P.O. Box 7645, Atlanta, GA, 30367 7645, #866 772 6277, ** billed for 16.95, services for Sep 3 Oct 2. I told them I'm not going to pay for services I never use and the guy were very rude to me. I told him I have to have a phone line working to use dial-up services that even he up the price to 43.oo dollar.

I'm probably not the only fool who's stayed with their early email carrier thinking they were getting some sort of exceptional email features. I've had PeoplePC for over 20 yrs. I took advantage of their discounted pricing many years ago not realizing that they had bundled my dial up internet costs into their email service. I haven't used dial up internet for over 10 years, and just found out today from Customer Service that I didn't need that part of their service on my bill. They now offer email only for $2.95 a month, whereas I've been paying their top dollar $19.95 fee for years. I've never received any communication from them showing the details of my subscription.

Obviously after reading all these other complaints I can see that PeoplePC as a firm is out to hoodwink any unsuspecting members (like me). I'm pretty sure they're collecting this $19.95 fee from a bunch of unsuspecting members who probably don't need the dial up internet part of their subscription. Customer service said they would change my service to the 2.95 a month (we'll see if that happens correctly). I went through three levels of supervisors and managers and none had any response at all to my over billed subscription needs for all these past years.

To me this is clearly a situation of a company milking its members for extra revenue knowing full well they should have pointed out to all of us that they changed their "bundled" internet and email access subscription to just an email only option a long time ago. Hope some smart class action legal guru will take on PeoplePC with this issue.

Had People PC for many years. Cancelled and had no problems. Had good service all those years.

I cancel February 15, 2014. He assured me that I was cancelled. Then I received months later two invoice letters with two charges to my credit card for the first invoice letter. The second invoice letter was again unauthorizing me to pay or go to collections. And on all three cancellations they told me I was not cancel.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about People PC?

Charging account with no record of me being a customer. I've been charged every month for years now, with absolutely no way to make them stop. Over $5000.00 now. Please help.

I've been with PeoplePC for a Year now. I haven't had any problems with them yet. Yes the Dial up service is slow but you get what you pay for. I hope after reading all those complaints about PeoplePC trying to cancel their service, I don't encounter that problem when I try to cancel with them.

I have been on the case for 6 months. No pages come up or just for 1 day. Then they want more money for fine tune - five dollars extra each month. Now, it's 3 dollars more to be billed. It's still slow, like for hours for pages to work. I've been a customer for 15 yrs.

I had cancelled my service in 09/2012. I just found out today (05/26/2013) that I was still being charged. I called and was told they would not pay back 6 months of service charges. They informed me I had agreed to a 1 month free service and was to cancel after that 1 month was over. I was never told this back in September of 2012. It appears they have been doing the same thing to others as well. They refuse to refund me any of the money from 11/2012 to 04/2013. I will have to make certain they have credited me for this month, as well as watching my bank statements from now on. To the one who was speaking of bringing a class action suit against them, I would appreciate it if you will inform us if you do want to proceed.

I moved to Colorado from Wyoming in Dec. 2009. I forgot all about my monthly charge for People PC. When looking at my bank statement, I noticed that I have been paying monthly to them since moving. I tried to call and cancel. I could not remember password from 4 years ago. Bank card was changed and old destroyed. They said that there was nothing they could do for me. I cancelled auto payment through my bank. Now, I received demand for payment from credit collection company. Again, I tried to talk to People PC and was told there was nothing they could do. I never even logged into their service for three years, yet they got paid every month. Now, they say unless I have same credit card or can remember my password, they cannot cancel my service. The internet is loaded with the same complaint. It seems they have already lost a class action suit. Yet, their practices have not changed. I am considering talking to legal counsel and see if another class action suit can be started. I don't even want my money back. Just cancel my service and call off the collection company.

I tried to send some important document to ** and PeoplePC blocked it. We have not had PeoplePC in about 2 years. I really need that document. It is from the Texas Department of Public Safety.

I canceled my People PC account on 12/06/2011. Yesterday, they charged me $25.90. I sure wish I read this site before I got People PC, I would have not done. Call them, they'll say that they would refund my debit card. Guess I shouldn't hold my breath and the nightmare begins!

I needed to cancel my DSL service with a local provider due to high costs. I searched for nationwide dial-up ISPs and decided People PC sounded like it would give me the amount of online time I needed at a cost that was very affordable. I signed up. Once it was installed, I discovered that it used Internet Explorer, which I have refused to use for several years due to security issues (I use Mozilla Firefox exclusively). I was not able to figure out for myself how to switch to MF while using People PC and called them for help. The gentleman was able to tell me what to do and assured me that next time I started up People PC, the change would take place and I would be able to use MF. And then there was a long sales pitch about some other product that I had to listen to and taking "no" for an answer was not something the gentleman obviously could accept. I finally hung up on him.

In any case, the switch over to MF did not happen. So, I looked around online and found out that by default, with no possible option to switch, IE is the browser I am forced to use with People PC. I did not like that, so the next day, I called to cancel my subscription (I went back to my old, local dial-up provider). I called the main toll-free number given to me when I signed up, and then chose the "Cancellations" option from the menu. I spoke with an agent who gathered my account info and said that since I just signed up yesterday, my account would be available for the next full month per their Terms of Service because they do not issue pro-rated refunds. I said I understood that and agreed with it, but I wanted my cancellation to be effective by that one-month end date.

The agent repeated that my account was paid up for the full month and that I should call the Technical Support department so they could help me maximize the efficiency of People PC on my computer, maybe that would change my mind. I again stated that I wanted to cancel my service. The agent said I had to call the Tech department first. So I clarified by asking her if I called the Tech department, would they cancel it for me? She evaded the question and went into some sales pitch. I interrupted and asked her for my cancellation confirmation number. She continued on with her pitch, ignoring me. I hung up.

I got on the 'Net and after much searching, found that the Corporate office accepted "Termination of Service" requests if the letters were sent Certified and with a Return Receipt. So I put my letter in the mail the next day. I noticed that morning that People PC has also withdrawn that first month's payment from my account, so I added that I was sending a copy of the certified letter to my bank. So far, I have not heard back from People PC either by phone or email as provided in my letter to Corporate. All I can do is wait to see if they try to take money from me again next month or sometime in the future. I guess I will have to ask my bank for a new account number just to be sure I'm safe. Any company that outright ignores your legitimate question(s) and request(s) should be held suspicious and after all these thousands and thousands of complaints I'm reading online, I don't see how they have been allowed to stay in business. Surely what they do is illegal.

People PC - This company owes me $510 for service I never used. What a ripoff. I'll tell everyone I know!

Don't get a bank statement but had discrepancies and noticed I've been paying 14.97 a month, last used this account in late 2009. Didn't even know the email address they gave it to me and the last email was from People PC in 12 09 saying all emails were being returned because our account had been inactive for 90 days. I thought it had been cancelled, all this time they said too bad it was a backup service. I have DSL.

I have $41.00 withdrawn out of MyBanking for your internet. However, it has not worked since April. I have called in several times and they say they will fix it and adjust the money they owe me for a service I did not receive. You can call me at the above number and talk to Debbie or myself. They owe me for seven months back and to get service running. Thank You.

I have been a customer of People PC Internet service for a number of years. I was offered a discount through AARP. I am a retired military after 22 years--six years in the Marines and 16 years in the Army. I am a Vietnam vet (Tet 69).

There are employees that work for People PC, that go out of their way to make you happy, and do all they can to help you in every way. There are others, just from the sound of their voice, give you the impression that they really don't want to be there. It's just a job. Other leave you with the impression, that you are just another spoiled American.

On April 12, 2011, the request for payment (as always) over the years was $39.95 for my DSL service. As always, it was paid in full by direct payment from my checking account on April 14, 2011. On April 13, 2011, at 11:30 p.m., my DSL service was disconnected. I know for a fact, because I was online watching a movie.

I called People PC and after waiting for almost 30 minutes (I was keeping time, you have to with People PC), the technician came on. For almost another 45 minutes, he kept going through the same thing that I told him I did before I called him. So after an hour, he placed my call to a senior technician. It took about 15 minutes for him to come online. After about another 40 minutes, he checked the line and said that there was no dial tone to my DSL. All this time, and there was no dial tone.

There was a big phone war here in the area for a very long time. My phone company and AT&T was going at it. AT&T won. My old phone company called me and informed that they were going out of business and I had to find another company. Now please pay very close attention to the dates. I open my account with AT&T on April 9, 2011. I called People PC and told them that I had changed phone companies, and I was asked if my number had changed. I told them no, that it was still the same. I was informed that it's OK, you don't have to do anything. Four days later, my DSL service was disconnected because People PC did not request the new line from AT&T. Now that's not my job to call AT&T. I did my part when I informed them of a change in my account. It took them four days to get the new line put in for my DSL; the same amount of days that I informed them about my change of phone companies. If they had done their job, my DSL would have never been disconnected.

Now is where I'm really upset. I was without my DSL for four days. I paid $39.95 on the 14th of April, and they reactivated my services on the 18th of April. After I reactivated my services, I was told that since my services was disconnected and the new line was put in, it was like a new account, and I could get the new promotion which was $14.95 for three months.

Now I had paid $39.95 already, and my services were disconnected. So four days later, once they were reconnected, I needed to pay $14.95, leaving $25 on my account. On May 12, 2011, they requested payment from my checking account for $26.91. I called to ask about the promotion. The person on the other end said that we gave you credit for $14.95. That's the reason you only had to pay $26.91. I'm having a real problem with the math, but the promotion was $14.95 for 3 months. They did not charge me full price and give me a credit for anything. If you want to give me a credit, give me a credit for $25. What I have left on the books. Then that would leave me $11.96 still on the books. After about two hours on the phone, he told me that he would refund me $11.96. The $25 was not in the promotion. That was last month, you still have to pay the full price.

So I just lose $25. The way I look at it, how can you offer me a promotion after I have to reopen an account that was not my fault in the first place, and try to cover it up by saying your discount doesn't start for 30 days.

This is not the first time People PC has tried to cover up a mistake. During this same coverup, someone went in my records and changed the dates on the disconnection note. Someone changed the payment dates from 14th of April to the 16th of April. I also asked them on the 14th of April why someone didn't call me and tell me that they had a disconnection on me after my bill had already been paid. They sent me a letter the next day, telling me to contact them or my DSL would be disconnected. It had already been disconnected for three days.

If you could, I would really like for you to look into this matter. Not only the money, phone records have gone missing. I have called and asked for my phone call to be heard, and I have been told there is no record of you calling on that date. There is something going on in People PC. If they can keep $25 a week from 100 people for 52 weeks, we are talking $130. That's just 100 people.

I subscribe to peolpepc on April 15 2010. I was sent a setup disc ( cd) to complete the peoplepc internet setup.

I was never able to install all of the cd I was inform that an error has been made. When I called about getting peoplepc (after going to their internet), I asked about the offer they had for (3 months). I asked for dsl, I was given dail-up. When you have dail-up you are unable to use your telephone for incoming or out going calls. I called peoplepc concerning the problem, I was informed by the person I talked to that I had ordered dail -up and not DSL, and that I would need to get a modem and pay for the shipping.

I had to order the modem but I still was not able to completely install the cd disc to my computer to be able to go to the peoplepc, without going through (explorer) to connect with the internet.

I called on April 15 2011, to cancel the service only to be told that it would be September 2011 before I would be able to cancel the service. I tried to

explain to (Joan) that I had the service for a year and that after a year that I wanted to cancel, because I was not happy with the service because of all of the problems that I was having with the service. Now it will be September before it can be cancel or pay $99.00 for early cancellation fee.

I discovered that I was being charged to 2 different credit cards by People PC for the same account I had gotten for my daughter. The problem began a year ago when People PC called to say my card was expired and needed to re-enter info to resume service. I called and the girl (Michelle? heavy accent) had lots of trouble and could not get card to take. I asked her to cancel that card and gave her another. That one worked. So, I was sure it was taken care of, until I checked my card statements and found I was being billed on both for a year.

I called to complain and got no offer of refund until in frustration I asked to cancel the whole service. Then, they offered to refund the last statement charge, which was $25 when it should have been $15.90 per the billing person. But they could not tell me why it was so much. Also, they offered 3 months at half price. My daughter needs the service, so I will keep for now. I will monitor my cards closely for double billing. And I will try to find a better service after reading all these complaints. They are thieves! Someone needs to be held accountable for this mess and reimburse me for all the charges I incurred because of their incompetence.

We had cancelled our account with People PC about 3 or 4 yrs ago over the phone. The person assured my husband that they would cancel the service immediately. Well, my husband just got a notice a month ago that they were still charging us for their services all of these years. So he cancelled the payment. Now they keep calling us and harassing us for payment for services that are suppose to be cancelled. Why haven't these people been closed down? They steal your money and they have crummy service. And they lie to you about closing your account.

PeoplePC is stealing money from me every month. I have canceled service via phone, via their chat and directly on their website. I have tried repeatedly to get my card out of their system but it won't allow me to delete my card and banking info. They charged me again in Dec. I have sent messages to Earthlink's BOD, Investor Relations, Dept. of Justice, Cnet News and the Feds. I want my money back for all of it. They are taking it illegally. I want damages and stress reimbursement and an apology.

I keep getting charged. I had them block from taking money from my account, but that only was good for 1 month, the next month they took money for double. Then they charged me for things I did not order. They are stealing from me and I have demanded that they return my money to my account, that's the only reason I have not closed the account, because they are supposed to refund to that account.

Since I did not expect a charge from them for December, my back account is now in overdraft. They owe me 50 plus dollars for services I cancelled, and fees for things I did not order, plus overdraft fees and plus unimaginable mental stress.

Do not sign up with PeoplePC, Earthlink, or New Edge, they are all the same company and they will steal you blind

I cancelled my account in June, and found out from my bank they never stopped taking money out of my account. I blocked my MC so they cannot take any more money from me. I told customer service I want my refund in the form of a check. I was told they do not mail out checks, so I told them I would never let them have one of my account numbers because I did not trust them. I was told they would bring up my concern to their corporate office. I doubt I will ever hear from them. Just think if they take money they are not owed from a thousand of their past customer, what kind of money they are stealing from the consumer. I am out almost 80.00 dollars that I will never see again.

I have experienced the exact same problem with Peoplepc.com as the previous complaints. I called in July 2010 to inform them that I no longer needed the service. The gentlemen was nice enough to say I was a valued customer for 5 years and that they will cancel my service. However, it will stay active for August and September until 09/23/10, they will cancel giving me compliant time just in case my new service did not work out. I could come back to Peoplepc.com by 09/22.

Checking my account with my bank, I see they charged me for August and September. I had a live chat with Sonia, probably phony name, on 10/14 which info she gave did not register with me. I ask for a refund to my account which she totally ignored, stating they have documents of the call and what they said, so do I. She immediately put the confirmation number that the account was now cancelled.

I am livid! How dare them take my hard earned pension. It's plain theft! I since tried to speak with this person again which they said was not available. I will never ever use this company again since the service is not up to par.

I cancelled my service with People PC. They would not give me a refund for a bank draft taken out of my account. I am owed one month refund that they cannot reimburse me.

I notified PeoplePC in February 2010 that I wanted to cancel my internet service. They questioned why. I explained to them the I now had high speed internet service through a local cable company. I was then told that since I had been a loyal customer for several years PeoplePC would give me 3 free months of internet service before discontinuing my service. Well after checking my credit card statement the next month and no charges I assumed there was no longer an issue.

Then I received my bill this month (Aug) and realized PeoplePC had billed my account and after investigation of the last several months they had also billed my account for May June July. I contacted PeoplePC spoke with Michelle. She stated my account was still active. I explained it was cancelled in February. She said that no it was not canceled but they did have a promotion of two free months which I did receive. I explained to her that my account was to be closed in February and that was there mistake not mine. She offered to give a reimbursement of $19.98 and that was all she was permitted to give me. I explained to her this was not acceptable. She was rude and began to read my confirmation number.

After reading the multiple complaints on this site PeoplePC should be held accountable. Multiple stories same complaints. We will see if I get my 19.98 refund. From reading the other complaints I doubt it. The way I see it she has the ability to verify that there has been no activity on this account in several months by checking the number of hours used. None! I want my money back!

I signed up for month-to-month dial-up internet services in March 2010 for $5.95 per month. The service was so slow that it was virtually non-existent (sometimes 10-15 minutes to download one page). I called tech support and some man with an extremely heavy Indian accent said, "This is dial-up service." Wow, really? I didn't know. This tech support man was almost impossible to understand. I called many times and his "tech support" was always worthless. My computer got worse and worse, although I paid for expensive software to clean/protect my Dell laptop.

I finally canceled my contract today (July 6, 2010), broke their CD, and threw their garbage program off my computer. I was ripped off paying for a service which I was rarely able to use. I was never once able to pick up my e-mail through PeoplePC (the screen never connected me there). And I had to wait ten minutes or more to even get access to the Google internet page. This type of business is fraud! How are these thieves allowed to continue doing business in the United States? The emotional damage PeoplePC caused me, coupled with all the precious time I lost trying to use their pathetic service, is far more damaging than the money I lost using this inferior internet dial-up service. I suffer from PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder). And I have been triggered over and over by the (bad) service PeoplePC provides.

In July 2009, I pre-paid for a year's worth of email account service. In June 2010, I received an email stating my service was coming due, so I called and canceled my account because I no longer need the email account. On June 30, 2010, I received a phone call from People PC stating that I had a bill of $4.05 that I needed to pay. I found out, because I did not wait until my pre-paid service was expired, I was being charged for the month and they supposedly reimbursed for the service I didn't use. I checked my bank account and did not receive any reimbursement. They called me daily to harass me for the money, but I refused to pay it. I even spoke to the manager about it, but they insisted I owed the money.

Finally, I pulled up my bank information and found the exact date I paid for my service then called them back. At that point they were claiming that my year subscription didn't start until July 28,2009. I then calmly stated that they pulled my payment out on July 4, 2009 for the year subscription, then in June, I received an email stating that my subscription was due which I then called to cancel because I no longer wanted it. Finally, when I did call and cancel, I was not informed that I would be reimbursed for service I didn't use and that I would owe money for the month. Only when I came across as more informed with dates and such were they willing to remove the balance from my account.

Hopefully, I don't have any more issues, but I went ahead and reported them to the Federal Trade Commission. I suggest everybody do this so that the FTC receives enough complaints to take criminal action. It may not resolve your direct situation, but it will help others down the line. Upon further research, I discovered that the FTC already has forced People PC to pay $100,000 for the product delivery service. So, they are already familiar with this company's questionable business practices. Now, it's our duty to continue informing the FTC about the scandalous business practices that People PC is still using. Who knows? They may force the company to close or something.

Ordered People PC Internet service for $19.95 for shipment of equipment I did not require and charged another $19.95 the next day. For what? I cancelled their Internet service that day and have never received any of their equipment or used their Internet service, and caution anyone thinking of using People PC. Your money may be stolen by People PC without explanation! Please forward a copy of this to the FCC.

I have been attempting to cancel my People PC internet service for 3 days. Emails come back undeliverable and then when I called the above phone, I was told that it was not a 24 hour phone number and call again. I had to wait another day to call again and then was told that my account would not be canceled until the next billing date, with is 10 more days of charges or more if you count the days.

I tried to cancel after many attempts of trying to figure out how to cancel because of poor information on the website. The person who finally came on the line was very difficult to understand and the information had to be repeated over and over. I will be charged for 2 weeks of service that I will not be using and the person kept me on the phone reading the cards over and over saying the same thing trying to get me to keep the People PC service. The person on the phone was very difficult to understand and then told me that their software will continue to be on my computer.

I do not want their information on my computer or any other contact with this company and will have to monitor my credit card to make sure that additional charges are not made on it. Very poor customer service and the website make it very difficult to figure out how to cancel their service.

I cancelled my PeoplePC account 6 months ago. They discontinued billing my checking account in January and February and then began withdrawing their fees in March, April and May. My husband called to cancel and was assured they would refund our money. They then began calling our home asking for updated account information and to inform us we are delinquent in our payments.

I contacted them today and received a cancellation number. I asked that the cancellation number be provided to me in an email and I was told they cannot provide the number in writing. I was also informed I owe them $35 in delinquent bills and would be turned into collection if I do not pay. I went through this process with AOL and NetZero and I am aware this could take months to actually cancel and stop their billing. I had to actually change my checking account to stop NetZero. I'd like to know if there is anything I can do.

People PC Company Profile