1.25/5

85 DSL Extreme Consumer Reviews

Original review: April 9, 2019

If I can give them zero rating I will.. Please run from this company. They are ripoff artist. I was with them for almost 2 years and did everything I need to do include calling and talked to an agent before closing my account with them but after I closed my account they went back and charge my credit card for another month... I called multiple times and even talked to a stupid supervisor that told me my account wasn't closed. They find a way to get your money and you will never get it back.... Please run from them unless you don't mind giving your money away.... Ripoff. Ripoff. Ripoff. Ripoff...

Original review: March 16, 2019

I had good service from this company for several years. Recently, it kept buffering when trying to watch a tv show. DSL EXTREME said I had to increase my speed for $10 more per month. Once that was done, my speed actually got slower according to speedtest.net. DSL EXTREME sent out an ATT technician who said I had to get a new phone wire inside my house (even though it had been working fine with my old DSL EXTREME service), and he would return to hook it up to the phone box.

I hired an electrician to do this at my own expense, and as instructed called the ATT guy to come back afterwards. No answer on his cell phone and no return call. I called DSLEXTREME again, and they scheduled ATT tech again, but he didn't show up. DSL EXTREME says I have to pay $50 to get my old speed service back and $250 to cancel and go with another internet provider. This company has turned into a total scam. Their only reason for being in business is to get people to sign up for internet service they don’t provide, then charge $250 to cancel.

Get expert buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 5, 2019

I am so disgusted with this company! I have been a LOYAL customer with them for the last 4 years. I was in the process of selling my property to move and was not using the service so I was being charged. I finally moved and now to find out that DSL EXTREME DOESN’T PROVIDE SERVICE TO MY AREA! So not only was a charged over a month for service I did not use but this morning they charged my account $250 and are going to charge me another $99 for the equipment! So I will be losing $350 from a company I was with and loyal to for 4 years! They are a horrible company and have no loyalty or compassion to their customers! They really need to revise their cancellation policy especially for those who have tried to transfer services and they aren’t able to provide it! I am just disgusted and will not ever recommend DSL EXTREME to anyone ever!

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I had DSL Extreme for a few years and was happy with it. It wasn't great, but not bad either. One day, service went down. It came back up for a few hours then was down again. I called DSL to inform them but said not to fix it because I was moving in a week. During that same call, I arranged to transfer the service to my new address. Long story short, they never provided service at my new address and are now trying to bill me for early termination of said service. I've reached out to them numerous times. They have stated they will credit my account for the time the service was down (over 2 months) but that never happens. I have a complaint filed with BBB. The company has yet to respond.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

I Had DLS over 2 years but when I increased the speed from 1.5 MB to 3.0 MB nothing but problems. Sure they sent out a Tech from AT&T who advised me that my incoming line would not support 3.0 MB. Since I had been paying the extra charge and not receiving the speed I cancelled my account over the phone. They sent me a Bill with ongoing charges for 3 months. They told me I did not cancel properly as they wanted something in writing. I asked for an adjustment and they told me I could receive $10 off but they still want $230 or to collections. DLS What a Joke! Stay away from this unscrupulous Internet Provider. Learned lesson the Hard Way.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DSL Extreme?

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

Level one support is euphemism for switchboard operator. "Oh, what's lights is flashing on the gateway. Can you power off the gateway and power it back on. Ok, I'll assign ticket to level two support." And level two never call back, not even email. Next time I call support, level one would not even answer question. Instead transfer to level two, which is another God knows how long. Hey, I don't get paid to be out on hold. I do have a job besides waiting for tech support.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

I read all these negative reviews by chance while performing due diligence for an updated router. I'm sad for all the trouble these people have experienced, but I must be one of the few who have great service and speed for a multi-user home of gamers, streamers and researchers. I've made changes to speed, changes of billing accounts and auto draft accounts; all were handled well and in a timely matter. The area where I am paying for service doesn't have many options but DSL Extreme is more affordable and less problematic than cable high speed and cellphone Internet with outrageous data cost and caps or unlimited snail speed. I've the personnel I encountered, they all were amicable, thorough and adjusted our every need. We're grateful for the lock-in price and email reminders. I'm thankful for the auto draft without ill effect should it be drawn before my deposit is posted.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I sincerely regret buying this service. I upgraded to a faster speed my second year of having this DSL service, but never saw the speed increase. When I noticed that the website showed a difference between what I had purchased, and the speed that my account said I had, I reached out to customer service billing. After I sent them a detailed message describing the fact that they were charging me for a speed I was not experiencing as clearly stated on THEIR website, I received a one sentence response telling me to contact "technical support" for speed issues. They didn't even read my email.

2 weeks later, they still haven't responded to me after I have repeatedly and respectfully requested their help. Additionally, the internet works intermittently, and is very unreliable. Multiple calls to technical service has not resolved the issue, and I have been told that this is "normal". I am eager to cancel my service, and would never recommend this company to anyone.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

This is basically a reseller of AT&T in Wichita. It's the same price as AT&T. The big difference is you DON'T have a DATACAP. Also, if you have a problem with your internet you have to call DSL Extreme and then they will call AT&T for you. Which can be frustrating. So anything that goes wrong is not DSL Extreme fault. It's AT&T. So far I haven't had any problems. Also, it's not worth it with my slow speeds but you can BUY STATIC IP's. Which is something you can't just do through AT&T. It's been 1 yr of service so far with DSL Extreme. I saved a bunch of money doing TB's of data without having a cap charge.

Original review: July 26, 2018

DSL Extreme is the worst. Their service is slower than dial up and when you call they ask you to upgrade and put you in a new contract without asking you and when you try to cancel they tell you you are not able to without paying for the 6 months of service. Then when you ask to talk to supervisor or someone else you're told no they can't do anything and when you prove to them you didn't agree to a new contract by requesting the phone call they will let you cancel but still charge you for the services you didn't want so run. Use another service. They don't even deserve a star. Should be closed down. And shame on Frontier for subcontracting them.

Original review: June 5, 2018

I usually try not write reviews while livid, but today is the exception. I'd give these jokers negative stars if I could. As an initial point, the internet service sucks. So, that's a great starting point for an internet service provider. Also, notably, customer service sucks. They won't address problems for you when you are off contract unless you sign a new contract, and then they only barely address the issues and seem to revel in sticking it to their customers.

Recently, I've been resetting my modem and calling customer service a few times a week (every other day or so) because the internet is so slow. Apparently because they "cannot figure out what the problem is" (likely because they haven't checked or done any troubleshooting) there's nothing they can do for me about the lack of actual internet. I'm pretty sure the dial-up I had in 2000 in college was faster.

As a super fun extra example, I'm moving this month and they literally don't offer internet at my new address (inside the city limits - Logan - for crying out loud). However, that fact--that they don't provide service to my address--is specifically enumerated as a fact that does not terminate my obligation to pay the remainder of the contract. They insist that I have to pay them the duration of my contract (5 months) OR a cancellation fee (conveniently the cost of 5 months of my contract). I negotiated that down to half and honestly, it's worth $100+ bucks to NEVER BE THEIR CUSTOMER AGAIN. Seriously, this company and this internet SUCKS. I legit just created this account in order to review this company. I've actually never done that before but these guys are a whole new world of terrible. May the odds be in your favor if you make this gamble.

Original review: May 9, 2018

I looked to DSL Extreme for a low cost home internet. It was more expensive than advertised and slower than slow. I contacted them a few times to try and get a lower rate and was told no. At one point I lost my credit card and instead of contacting me about payment they shut off the service. I got in touch with them and gave them a new credit card number as I don't leave people owing them money. They took my new card and promptly dropped me into another two year contract. I changed to Spectrum for way faster service for less and they charged me $250 to leave over my objections. As a senior citizen on a fixed income this was a financial hardship for me. DSL Extreme is an example of all of the things that are wrong with cable and internet companies. Avoid them if you have any other option.

Original review: March 24, 2018

I am having a problem getting my service installed at my new place. Close to a month no service and the installer was a no show. I was on the phone for hours and waited 6 hours for them. The company kept telling me he is on his way. Today they sent email after I had to call them again stating that I would not get another installer for another 4 days. They threatened me if I cancel they will charge me 250.00. I found out I can file a complaint with the FCC. If we get enough people complaining the FCC will investigate. Please file one.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

I've canceled my service with this poor company that can never keep anyone as a customer. I would never want anyone to use this as their provider. I'm still waiting for them to turn off my service after 2 weeks of calling them to turn it off so I can move onto another provider. Calling them again today I get another excuse of why it's not turned off... Also I am told it might take weeks... Wait, she also said it was turned off, which one!?

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

Rude customer service, cant answer question unless it's in their script. They repeat the same unhelpful things over and over. When you ask for a supervisor there are not any or they straight up refuse. Once you finally get a supervisor they are just as unhelpful (yes you Jessica) and when you ask for her supervisor best believe she will refuse. They are unhelpful and will steal your money from your account even after you cancel. If they let you cancel...

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

On date of installation, tech showed up then said he was going somewhere to check wiring. He never returned. I had to call the company again to get another tech to come and complete the installation after 3 to 4 hours went by. The Internet speed has been slow. Then after 6 months it would stop working intermittently. It would go out for hours especially overnight. Tech sent out serviced the Telephone line. Internet back for a few hours then quit again. Problem has been going on for past week. Customer service at DSL EXTREME is a joke and they don't want to let me out of contract using the house wiring as an excuse. (After 6 months of Internet working).

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

Unbelievable, this is at least the 5th time this worthless Philippines tech department has failed to not only resolve technical issues but also to let me speak to supervisors and give me any useful info whatsoever as to why their techs can't resolve totally non-working lines for weeks at a time. No internet for at least 5 days and counting this time, and 2 weeks the prior time.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

My 86 year old aunt has been attempting to cancel her service since June. DSL Extreme has made it almost impossible for her to cancel. They have been called and emailed, but unless you fill out their special form, they won't do it. She no longer has her email address, and since that's where they insist on sending the form, I guess she'll never be able to cancel, and they will keep billing her for a service she no longer uses. Disgusting. Worst example of taking advantage of the elderly.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

I got with DSL Extreme. Sorry I gave up what I had. The grilled told me they are better. The cable wifi much faster and better. Took ten day to set up. Billed me. I just happen to look at my speed and it was slow for what I had got. I bought the middle plan. She wanted to sell me the small wifi plan but I took the next one to that to make sure all my devices can hook up up to 10 of them so I took the next one up to make sure I would have no problems at all with all the devices that I have. So they came. Put it all in ATT. Did not these people at all the subcontract company did the job. I asked him like he did not want to talk to me at all. It's not ATT company it's them. So once done he did not make sure all my devices were fine. I had to hook up after a hour wait for the next ATT tech. To come to finish the job so I hook up all the devices then walked around the house. It keep dropping off with the other company.

I never had a problem with my wifi at all. I can go down the street four house before my wifi ends. I can't sit outside my house downstairs on my porch without it coming in and out. So I called and asked for the next one up 87$ a monthly. So I said "Ok so my billing day would be changed too." ATT company came and my daughter we go from ATT was in my room so they cut her off doing my line. I was told from the ATT company that I could hook up to 50 devices on what I have before he left. Look at the wifi and my daughter told me hers was off so she called her ATT company. The man moved her line from my room. That's when I found out she paid less for speed and has more speed than me. Hers is fiber and mine is not. They are way faster the man from ATT told me.

I still have trouble to this day and on top of that the power phone went out. They sent it to the wrong post office. Sent me three of them. Two was no good at all. Did not send me a return for one of them so I had to call and get one. She tried to say it was me that had to pay for it. But I got her to send one. On top of that they billed me for a part bill of a phone that I could not use. Had to wait a week and a half to get it. When I told them I did not know until the three days after the second wifi install at my house the phone did not work. Now I called also about the wifi dropping and I had to hear this man tell me that I live in a five bedroom house I should able to test my wifi. I told him I can't get a laptop at all but because I live the way that I live I should be able to buy one. That was a very low blow. I live on sec.8 on a fix income with my daughters and my grandkids in the house. Why does that matter at all.

These people want you to get a computer to test their line to see if you are getting the right speed. If you don't they can't help you out if they call and find out that's not them. You will be charged for them to see if you are at the right speed or not. If you are the company and doing business you should be able to test the speed like ATT do for their people. Poor servers. Still can't wait till I am up with them too or I might just cut and run change banks or cards so they can't bill me at all. Just can't wait. Please all that read this don't do it at all. WE ARE FOR REAL ON HERE. I WISH I COULD HAVE READ THIS AHEAD OF TIME TOO. VERY BAD COMPANY DSL EXTREME.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

I have never been overly pleased with the internet provided, but this past week has been over the top. With ONE missed payment, I get an email that my account is scheduled to be terminated by a certain date so I immediately call and make the payment. Two days goes by and my account is terminated A WEEK BEFORE it was even supposed to have been terminated originally. I spend the next 2 hours on the phone with everyone pointing fingers at another department and transferring me to deal lines where no one picks up and me having to start the call over again when finally they tell me they are closed for the weekend and to call on Monday. I called on Monday morning and I have had two people tell me that it's the opposite department who would fix this and that they are waiting for an email from them because they didn't want to wait on hold with them.

It is now Monday evening and the last man I spoke with is told me that I am incorrect and my internet is not cancelled despite what the automatic webpage tells me every time I try to sign on the internet. He then proceeds to rush me off the phone and tells me that the email they sent out is all they can do, ignoring the fact that I told him I already know they can call them directly. I've never been treated with such bad customer service and after this month is up, (since I already paid for it,) I will be cancelling my own subscription. Stay away from this service if you know what's good for you.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

This companion outright offers very poor service since it went into the hands of using lines by Frontier and I started a new order for service. I didn't even have a modem yet and service was supposed to be up and running on the 3rd of July. Well service guy called me and said he was at my area and the office wiring was no good and I said "so service will be on today or not?" He said "no" and didn't know when because lines need repair not my line but privileged lines well back last yr.

I called about poor service month after month. I never got a credit then stupid me I thought maybe it was my modem after all and reordered. Well that told me why I was having older poor service and canceled the new order for service. Sent back unopened modem and they are still taking money out of account. Yes I even called the bank and I know why it's being taken out other strange amounts 90 something dollars in one month. I would like to be part of the class action lawsuit for my money back ticket number ** to cancel order not service. It was an order. Never got the service completed.

Original review: July 15, 2017

I purchased an internet service a month ago, they promised that they'll deliver the service within 10 days to two weeks. After 23 days they failed to provide the service and I asked them to cancel the service, if they're unable to deliver and they promised that there won't be any charge. However, I am keep receiving new charges.

Original review: July 14, 2017

I wish I would have given the bad reviews more consideration, now I'm just another victim joining the party. I truly believe that this company makes their money from cancellation fees. Stay away, you're better off paying more from a legitimate honest company.

Original review: June 24, 2017

I've been a customer of DSL Extreme for about four years now and I am seriously disappointed in what I get for the amount I pay for. I can only afford their 3.0 mbps speed and consistently I get just over half of that. I'm constantly experience sudden lulls dropping my speed down to 0.0 . The customer service techs always say there's a problem on my end. Never on theirs. I've done everything possible to make sure it's not on my end. They piggyback ATT's lines and then charge you for doing so. Trying to get out of their contract is next to impossible. They say you can pay month to month for an insane price, then threaten you with a 12 month contract or else. I don't think I will be renewing this year, I just got to figure out how to do so without being fined the $250 fee. Go elsewhere if you can.

Original review: June 15, 2017

Internet never worked - company dispatched techs on four separate occasions but never could get the service to work. Spent many hours on the phone troubleshooting as well. I had to cancel the service and they charged me 277 for cancellation and 77 for service - 354 dollars for NOTHING! They refused to refund even though they admitted to not being able to provide the service. This is stealing and this company is a SCAM!! DO NOT USE THEM!

Original review: June 12, 2017

When I signed up for DSL EXTREME(HIGH-SPEED INTERNET 12/1Mbps Connection 1 Dynamic IP) a few years ago it took two (2) months to get the service installed and required the intervention of Leo **, the tech guy. A little over a year ago the service went down and it took about one month to restore it. Two months ago the service started dropping out every afternoon then stopped working completely. After numerous emails a tech was scheduled for Friday, June 9, 2017 from 8:00-12:00 when someone was at the house. The tech showed up mid-afternoon when no one was home.

DSL Extreme called me and apologized, then rescheduled the call for today, Monday, June 12, 2017 from 8:00-12:00. My housekeeper called at 4:15 pm to tell me no one showed up. When it works, the DSL is fast. When there is a problem, getting service from DSL Extreme is a nightmare. I have been using my iPhone wifi hotspot at home and am looking for an alternative to DSL Extreme.

Original review: May 18, 2017

You have been warned... Hopefully you have done your research and see the rest of us who have been literally SCAMMED by this company. I paid for a faster service only to find out that my service got slower and they want me to miss work to run a check on the equipment they installed. It is better to get Xfinity Comcast and pay more money for service that works!!! DO NOT PURCHASE THIS SERVICE THEY ARE IN THE DINOSAUR ERROR!!!

Original review: May 5, 2017

This is the only company that was not willing to work with me upon my brother being hospitalized and not be able to ever return to his home. I called to notify them of his status and that I was cancelling his service and stopping payment. I gave the service rep all the information she requested and at the end she said she would not be able to stop payment without speaking to him or getting documentation of my POA. I told her I was in the process of obtaining the POA, but I was stopping the automatic payments today. She refused to stop service and billing and never offered to suspend service. When I told her they were the only company that was unwilling to help or even offer suspending service there was still no budging. When I said I had just read the reviews on this company and now I understand why she hung up on me.

Original review: March 28, 2017

I have been with DSL Extreme for 3 years: First they refused to apply lifeline service discounts and stonewalled me continuously about everything. My service regularly goes down to 0/0 kbps download/uploads. I have called in numerous times and have been told it's mine or my equipment's fault or I am running too many devices. I have all new products less than 6 months old. I have an HP Notebook I bought on black Thursday at Best Buy. I have a new Samsung phone I got last month at Best Buy. I have a new AC 1200 router I bought on Presidents day. I have cleaned out all cache and internet files and run my notebook hardwired to my router. I have only the phone and Notebook running off the net.

I have current paid for Kaspersky Antivirus software with no malware. Still have internet interruptions and they still blame me. I have heard all the excuses reported here many have been given repeatedly. I went with DSL Extreme because they are located in my county of Los Angeles. I will now use their hubris against them. I have contacted Top Class Actions and hope to find a lawyer willing to make a Class action lawsuit against the well documented fraud perpetuated by the owners of DSL Extreme!!! I have not been in touch with any lawyers yet.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2017

This company I never recommended. When I called first time to acquired service well the girl that attended me was very nice. I asked some questions that she was kind to answer. But they took more than 10 days to installed the service. I paid ahead the connection fee plus others things that they requested. So get internet and voice and the first bill is suppose to be $53.04 minus $15.00 in credit. But what happened they take the whole bill. When I called to claim this credit they said that I right and the credit will be for next bill.

The service that I taken are poor so I called them again to increase the speed. This is the worst mistake that I make it. Because they charge days later $6.95 that I never known for what and increased the bill. And the $15.00 credit they used supposed in the new charge that was imposed. So I called them again and they make a story that I don`t understand. The billing process that this guys have are incredible. Ahh every time that I called take more than 20 minutes with an opera music. Please give me a break. This company is trash. Ok.

DSL Extreme Company Information