Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.89/5

USAA Motorcycle Insurance Reviews

Original review: Oct. 5, 2006

I have had USAA for 19 years, since I started driving at 16. I took it over for my own when I was 21 and when I was married at 30, my husband and I almost fought over if we were going to go with USAA or his insurance company, however I won and USAA it was. We received multiple letters trying to "verify" my married name (it got quite annoying after the fifth letter), however we thought we went with "the best" company.

About 2 1/2 months ago I was in a motorcycle accident that was not my fault, and the other driver received a citation. I called USAA and advised them of the accident and they took some information, however I advised them that I was going to claim this through the other driver's insurance -- they told me I could not do that and that it would be better if I just let them handle it, so I did. I dutifully waited for some information about what to do to get my bike and other belongings fixed, but nothing. I called USAA back and asked what was going on. At first, they said that I needed to get a copy of the police report to them; I advised that when I was 21, I did not have to do that, but they said it would speed things up, so I did. The next call was stating that they could not get a hold of the other person's insurance company, so I called them. Yes, they were rude and advised me that they would handle things in their time as well.

In the mean time, I had taken my bike to a repair shop and they advised that it would be $1800+ to fix the bike. I called USAA and told them where the bike was at and the appraiser could see it there. About 10 days later, I got a check from USAA for $129 ($629 minus the $500 deductible) with no other explanation or even an appraisal. I called USAA for an explanation on the small check; I was advised by the adjuster's MANAGER that that was all they were going to pay and that the reason USAA's rates were so low is because they DO NOT send out "frivolous" paperwork (I was only asking why the appraisal was not sent with the check), but I reminded her of the 10 letters I had received from them to verify my married name. She got rude and snippy with me.

She also advised me that there was damage on the right side of bike (which there was none) that was not part of the accident (I do not know how they would come to this assumption). I called the repair shop where the bike was at and they said that NO appraiser had seen the bike. I called USAA back and advised them of this and they assured me that they had; when I asked how they knew this and how come the appraisal was so low, the MANAGER told me she did not know, because the Appraiser DID NOT work for them! Do they not pay them to do this work? I finally called an attorney who stated that they would handle all of the matters and to let USAA know that the other insurance agency would be paying the damages. I am not one to sue anyone, however I could not take the insurance games anymore.

We got insurance through another company and advised USAA. They told me that our refund check would be issued after it goes through a billing cycle. After 1 1/2 months, I called USAA to say that we have not received our refund check and the woman advised that she could issue a check right now and that we did not have to wait. That was over 2 weeks ago. I called today and we were told that the check was issued and sent out, but that they would re-issue the check and we would have it in a week. I doubt we will get it. In addition, now when I call for these things I am given the run-around, put on hold for 10-15 minutes, and have to jump through the information (last 4 of social, pet from 10 years ago's name, etc.).

USAA Motorcycle Insurance Company Information