Unum Insurance Company

Unum Insurance Company
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.19/5

Unum Insurance Company Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Unum Insurance Company?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about UnumProvident Insurance Company?

Original review: Oct. 19, 2020

Unum Disability Insurance review. I was approved for LTD. After 5 months Unum reduced my monthly payment by what they estimate social security disability payments could be. This after daily harassment to get me to apply for SS. This policy as well as everybody else's is not worth the paper it is written on. Go elsewhere.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2020

My experience with UNUM started when I arranged Critical Illness through my company. 2 months ago I suffered 2 strokes, so when discharged from hospital, contacted my company to make a critical illness claim. The company was UNUM and the doc sent from work confirmed that I was covered for a stroke. I made the claim online. All seemed to be going well. I have now been informed that UNUM have refused my claim because I am a type 1 Diabetic.

I have been a diabetic over 30 years and although in the 1990s car insurance used to discriminate because of diabetes, the law changed and this discrimination was stopped. I only found the full details of the specific related condition exclusions through UNUM after making the claim and being subsequently rejected. It's hard enough living with a chronic medical condition for over 30 year to then suffer 2 strokes, thinking if anything happens my critical illness will help pay the mortgage.

Now I feel cheated, why can a company like UNUM take money from me and refuse to pay when I need them. It didn't state anywhere when joining that specific related condition exclusions would apply. It's worse than online theft, it's legal theft. I don't have a leg to stand on and the complaint to UNUM was not even answered. Please do yourself a favor and avoid UNUM at all cost. They are legitimate scammers. Go find a decent Insurer who doesn't bend the matrix code to cheat its customers.

Get buying tips about Disability Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2020

We submitted a claim to them in June and STILL do not have reimbursement. They are giving us such a run around, they are creating so much hassle for our orthodontist's office. They have said they approved the claim, yet we still don't have a check and we still can't get any answers. It takes sometimes weeks to get a response from them. This is so unprofessional!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2020

This company has done whatever it takes to deny my claim just to save money. I know we all want to make money but when you do it at the expense of people and their families that makes you very bad people and it’s worse when we have this sickness going on.

Original review: July 31, 2020

We purchased a Long Term Care policy about 18 years ago, and since then Unum has stopped offering these policies. However, they have increased the premiums consistently over the years - about 15% each time. It was last increased 2 years ago, and yesterday we received another notification of a 15% increase. It seems they are trying to get elderly people who've paid thousands of dollars in premiums already, to drop the policies by these ongoing price increases. If First Unum did not plan sufficient reserves to cover the policy costs they should never have gotten into the business. What are actuaries for if not to plan for worst case scenarios and potential cost increases.

Original review: July 15, 2020

My husband was involved in motorcycle accident that had STD through UNUM through a company he has been working for, for 28years. He has never used this benefit unit his accident. He was out of work for 3.5 months and had to use his benefits. UNUM is now REQUIRING us to pay them back 11K from a settlement that we have not received, claiming that we were OVERPAID and we have one month to pay it back! How can we be overpaid when THEY have to approve the claims?!

He has paid into this benefit for many many years and now they want their money back?! How were we to live... How ARE we to live when we don't have the money. Forget that we are in the middle of a PANDEMIC! I would NEVER encourage anyone to use this company. You pay your dues but you will never reap the benefits! The lady that hit my husband did not have enough insurance to even cover the 78K in medical bills from the surgeries. We will never be out from under this accident. Unum is the WORST!!!

Original review: July 7, 2020

I’ve been paying in to my disability for seven years with the confidence it would be there if I needed it. But Unum practically asks for everything while in recovery. I was in a coma and in a hospital 3 hours from home and the agent was snippy about not filing when I was hospitalized—- I didn’t even know what month it was. I forgot an entire week of my life and went into multi organ failure. They want statements from every single doctor and want to know every test done. The test results alone are 500 pages. I know they aren’t being reviewed by a physician. I got out of the hospital a month ago and they act like I should have returned to work the day after I woke up from a coma when I was still intubated and couldn’t remember my mom’s phone number. Even my supervisors at work don’t expect me back right now.

Original review: July 2, 2020

I have to quarantine for 3 weeks, due to Covid-19. I applied for Short-term disability and was told I don't qualify because I am not disabled. I have a letter from the clinic, I was tested at and a letter from the Health department stating I cannot work. This company is a joke.

Original review: June 23, 2020

I was in a car accident in March 13th, a big truck trailer cross the traffic, the driver didn’t see me. I am alive just because God is good and save me. So Unum insurance don’t care about people, they care how don’t pay you and send you quickly to work, I have problems with my low back, upper back, left eye and left leg after car accident, since the first day that they call me their questions it was, when you will start to work.

So they obligate the doctors to tell them when you should come back to work, but if the doctor give you a date to start, and after that you don’t start because you are still sick, you really nightmare start, because they stop paying you, and start to put excuses on you that the doctor said, or you said to does not pay you. And they said that they need reviews my case again, I am going with physical therapist, chiropractor, primary doctor, lawyer, they are asking to everyone if I could work, they receive all papers, then they said they need to review again the documents.

After 8 days, you call and ask why they don’t approve to pay you, and they said they need more about x or y reason, then tell you, oh we didn’t get information from someone, then you go and ask to the doctor, did you send this information the doctor said yes, you call back and state that he sent the information, and they give another excuse, totally that is the way how they work, they could pay you good 6 weeks, but after that get ready to get angry and fight or just stop talking to them because they will ignore anything from the doctor and they will seek for a fail from you or your doctor to don’t pay you.

So please if your company have this short term insurance run away, look and investigate for another kind of insurance that don’t make you live a nightmare, they stop paying me since May 11th, I could not walk very good, I am painfully to walk, lift something, I wish to go to work, because I pay child support, car payments and all the rest of my bills, even the money that they send me those weeks, it wasn’t enough to cover my spend but really if was helping me a little bit, but now I have to deal with all my bills by my own and with my health, it’s a really a nightmare that I am living with all my bills and Unum don’t care about. This my little testimony. So don’t believe what the website says about them.

Original review: June 18, 2020

Got short term disability through my employer to have a CS. When I called Unum to find out what I was covered for. They explained I would be covered for 6 weeks with a vaginal delivery and 8 weeks with a CS. They also said there was no elimination period. I was doubtful about the elimination period so I called back a couple weeks later. They confirmed I would have a 2 week elim period but everything else was the same. I had my CS and received my payments after my elim period and thought everything was good. My payments stopped after 4 weeks. I called and the lady said that my policy didn't cover a CS. It just said any labor would cover 6 weeks. I then said, "OK but I've only received 4 payments". She said, "The elimination period counts as 2 payments and those are not paid out." WTF.

I called TWICE to make sure things were set so I'd be ready to be out of work. Now I will not be paid for 4 weeks of what I thought I would. Also, I have never received an email or paperwork outlining my benefits and when I go to my employer it says I have to contact Unum and when I go to their website and sign in the benefits that come up are the general ones 6 weeks for vaginal and 8 weeks for CS yet when I question that they say it depends on the employer and the coverage they offer. I will be taking this as high as I can go and possibly get a lawyer if I have to because I am tired of these insurance companies taking advantage of people. Especially when we are at our most vulnerable. Nothing but a bunch of vultures.

UnumProvident Insurance Company author review by Matthew Brodsky

Unum is one of the oldest insurance companies in the United States, having first offered insurance prior to the Civil War. It became the first disability insurance provider in the United States in 1939.

• Online tools to help users choose the right policy: Users can answer questions online to find out which disability policy is right for them.

• Covers childbirth as well as short-term illnesses: People who cannot work while pregnant or due to complications of childbirth can take advantage of short-term disability benefits.

• Individual supplement available: Consumers who depend on commissions or bonuses at work can purchase supplemental insurance to protect them in the event of a disabling condition.

• Group plans for employers: Many users can purchase this insurance through their employers.

• Offers clear information online: Users can find out exactly what each policy covers by looking at the company's website.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor