Unum Insurance Company
3.27/5

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

Unum Insurance Company

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Unum Insurance Company Reviews

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

Give me Denplan any day, they have a courteous, efficient, service team. I have purchased Unum through work, so, unfortunately, Denplan was not on offer, as my company uses Unum. Unum has got to be the slowest dental claim service EVER! I wish that they were more friendly and not so dismissive.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2019

UNUM and it manipulated relationship with doctors. Doctors don't have is (Extra Time) to deal with UNUM. At a work event Smashed my shoulder, tore my Ligaments clear of my AC joint, completely floating, collarbone, broke loose at joint and pushing skin up an inch above my shoulder. ER offered no surgery/ repair option. Four surgeons offered no solution or option, including Mayo clinic in Rochester, Mn. My GP kept sending me to therapy and pain clinics.

After a year I gave up on a realistic repair to shoulder. The opportunity had passed. It seems if you're above a certain age, or not working in the occupation of heavy labor, they don’t offer a surgery option at the ER. I was just a revolving cash cow for UnityPoint hospitals and clinics..UNUM is vigorous demanding from updates from doctors. Then UNUM wiggled me off my life insurance policy stating I was not getting enough doctor updates and canceled the policy...then came the MORE Demands and more pressure on my doctors. Requiring excessive time filling out uniforms and answering phone calls. Then Unum hires the IME (independent medical examiner) to make a report, a report based on reading UNUM's excessive 1200 page patient report.

IME does a cheap bone Xray (not proper test to show tissue damage), and a physical exam that is tainted by UNUM's 1200 page opinion report.. The IME has a cut and paste exam procedure and overlooks obvious pain and restrictions. In fact IME blamed me of being over sensitive and faking my inabilities. In the IME’s report my hands looked excellent and had fine working motor skills. In reality, I refused to offer the doctor hand as my right index finger was lacerated the week before, still full of sutures. I was also accused of being overweight and not cooperating. It was obvious I was judged as a healthy person trying to abuse UNUM benefits.

Unum had stopped/throttled payments off and on before, pressuring me for more documentation from doctors. Then they denied coverage completely and stooped payments. My GP relationship was compromised and GP didn’t want to do any more UNUM paperwork. Now I wasting time and money. Lost job and no income for over a year... The stress was insane. Then I had a widowmaker heart attack! Fire department brought me back with a defibrillator.I decided to look into the UNUM appeal process and called a few disability insurance lawyers. Lawyers were to receive 40-60 percent of continued unum payments if they win appeal.
      Leftover payments Left me in federal poverty rate and unable to pay for medical insurance.
      So I went through the UNUM 1200 pages myself and added discrepancies and bias situations and sent to file a UNUM appeal a few weeks ago.
      At this point I just want the stress gone.
      If by chance I win the appeal I still have to live with pain and dysfunctional shoulder.

I’ve completely lost trust in my GP, UNUM, and Doctors riding the shirt tails of insurance companies. I hope I live long enough to find help for others living this Hell..

Get expert buying tips about Disability Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: Nov. 10, 2019

This is going to be short and sweet, I have been wait for benefits since 03/11/2019 and have received $0 to date. I had major left hip surgery and I’m going in for my right hip. It’s now November of 2019. I think I’ll be dead by the time I see any compensation. I think you need three signed affidavits by the Father, Son and Holy Ghost before they will pay up. How much more disabled do you need to be when you had a your hip reconstructed? Maybe if I detach my leg and bring it to the claims adjuster they will cut me a check cut me a check. Jesus Christ!

Original review: Nov. 9, 2019

While Driving a City Bus in Vancouver Washington State USA - in 2019- I developed an Occupational Disease - from Diesel Exhaust Fumes and Carbon Monoxide Poisoning at Work - due to Defective Cummins 6.7 liter Engines, and the Lack of Maintenance -procedures at C-Tran; Because the Head Bolts would loosen up due to extreme heat, then the cylinder heads would warp, while spewing toxic gas mixed with ammonia head cleaner solutions, def fluid, then it would travel into the cab of the bus for all to inhale, while there are no carbon monoxide detectors in the bus then and even now after my permanent disability.) UNUM insurance company has made me wait over 75 Days for a yes or no decision, and I have already been off work almost eight months.)

Washington state Labor and industries has denied (4) emergency room claims and I have had to appeal all four claims while I tested above normal all (4) times for (Carbon Monoxide Blood Levels) - 1.9%, 6.1%, 2.5%, 2.8% and all four times (normal is 1.8 % for me) the Peace Health Emergency rooms have you wait 2-3 hours before they take the blood for the carbon monoxide tests. (the tests were all in a 3-week period in March) 2019 after work, for gases so by then the Levels go down - while benefiting the employer and Labor and industries to show lower than actual at work while driving Carbon Monoxide Levels, (so like the employer says get up you're not hurt), while appealing my Brain, Balance, speech, & headaches injuries twice in the last 8 months - with the Board of Industrial insurance in Washington state.

These Insurance companies, and State run workers compensation agencies, are all Poorly run Enterprises- they all sleep together and they all want some other agency to pay for your injuries, and since this was an on the job injury, no one is responsible and in Washington state you can't sue your employer for an (on the job injury) unless it is intentional - so the state inspectors (DOSH) did not fine C-Tran for poisoning the (2) Drivers including myself and other customers on the Defective buses. They just wrote them a ) zero dollar amount citation for not Training the bus drivers properly on what the side effects of breathing toxic fumes feels like LOL, or how it feels driving a bus and poisoning everyone in the bus and on the road with its toxic gases).

These Agencies and Insurance companies all wait as long as they can to see if you will forget how they injured you or see if you die and have no relatives who complain of your death or injuries, while all the poisoning, all the defective buses, and all the denied claims are paid by the tax payers in this country, and then the workers are injured due to horrible safety Practices, then swept under the carpet by our Beautiful - Elected Officials in the State Congress.

Then they appoint their friends to Agencies like the Board of industrial appeals, and Washington state workers compensation Agency, or the Washington State Human Rights Commission - and in turn those appointed People in those agencies to keep their jobs are Paid to Deny all Claims, and wait for the injured to die, or have another Agency, Insurance Company, or Family Member pay the bills all the while the Responsible Government Employers, Pay nothing to the Injured Workers then take your tax money and buy more Defective Buses, and Machinery from Businesses with Huge Government contracts, while UNUM is Sucking an Estimated $15,000.00 Thousand dollars a month from Clark County Public Transportation Benefit Area, while the Employees have to Beg for insurance benefits that have been paid for since 2002.

It's your money for the buses, the Cummins engines, the UNUM insurance payments to the employer, to the human rights commission, the Wa. state DOSH inspectors, and the WA. State Labor and Industries Agency. When will there be some good protection for our workers, without having to pay a $20,000 dollar retainer for someone to help? This is my opinion: and a (a factual story). If anyone needs more facts to back up my story call Washington State Labor and Industries - or UNUM Insurance company- or e mail me at **. Remember before you give anyone any money, ask yourself can I do more good with this Tax money than the Agency it is going to?

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

Hi, I've access to Unum through my company and have to chase multiple times to get a reimbursement. For the last one I did not any reimbursement even after chasing multiple times. Would recommend to avoid at all costs.

Kind regards

Alex

How do I know I can trust these reviews about UnumProvident Insurance Company?

Original review: Oct. 21, 2019

Their web site is always down and I can never actually get anyone on the phone in a reasonable time.. I've been trying to apply for FMLA leave but can't even get it started. For being a Fortune 500 company they really need to fix their web site. It is down every single time, every single day I try to log it.. What a worthless company.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2019

I was diagnosed with Stage 3C ovarian cancer last year. After completing chemotherapy I am having some serious long term side effects. Statistics say there is an 85% chance the cancer will return. I have a pending follow up CT to evaluate an enlarged lymph node. I paid on this long term disability for 20 years. After 3 or 4 payments they have been trying to close my case.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

If you have long term disability for a condition that they approved you on watch out. They will disapprove it fast. They get bonuses for dumping claims and lie on their charts making up fabricated lies as they go. I just attorney Up and am going to take them to federal court. Lawyer says open and shut case and they do this behavior to everyone. It’s their practice.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2019

I have been out of work since 9/10/2019 due to chronic fibromyalgia, migraines, anxiety, disk degenerative disease, loose stools, spinal stenosis, spondylosis, scoliosis and a large mass that was found in chest. I am in constant pain and I work for Providence Northeast Columbia SC. So Unum has constantly strung me on, every time my physicians fill out or submit supporting detailed and accurate paperwork they would ask for something else to be done. They even had me to complete a questionnaire form as well as my physicians to verify that I had not been seen 4/2019-6/2019 however they tried to find out anything on me to prevent them from having to pay me while I am out of work. However I was told by Sabrina at Unum that if this was a previous diagnosis that they would only pay me for 4 weeks instead of for the entire time I would be out from work.

My physician I see for my fibromyalgia wrote me out and said with a return date of 10/30/2019 however that would depend on treatment plan as well as Endocrinologist that I will be seeing for the large chest mass that was an"accidental finding" because the MRI I had done was on my neck and back. I will also be seeing a Neurologist for the severe migraines I have. On 9/30/2019 Sabrina sent out another form (physician statement) needing to be completed by my physician (Rheumatologist) with a deadline of 11/9/2019.

On 10/2/2019 I was told by Sabrina (Claims Representative @Unum) that my claim had been denied and that she had 2 nurses and her boss to look at my paperwork but it was denied because the initial Dr. (neurologist Surgeon) that took me out of work said that I could return on 9/23/2019 however I explained to Sabrina I only saw him to rule out surgery wasn't what I needed. However my rheumatologist that I see for my fibromyalgia wrote me out from 9/24/2019 till 10/30/2019 depending upon treatment plan and two addt'l consults that I will be having. However if I went back to work she, (my dr) listed several restrictions such as no heavy lifting greater than 15lbs, no repetitive bending nor stooping, no standing greater than 3 hours per day.

Unum made an ignorant decision not to pay me for a benefit that I pay for out of my check when I was able to work. It's a shame to be ill and stressed due to no income and to know that you took out STD and LTD during open enrollment. Going thru what I have went thru with UNUM was terrible. Ever since I spoke with Sabrina on 10/2 @ 2:30p I can't stop thinking about my denial and to know I work for a hospital that doesn't care about their employees to invest in another company to take over STD and LTD saddens my heart. Providence and others hired a company (UNUM) that is ripping off employees and Unum I'm sure is happy because it's free money in their pockets and probably even getting kickbacks for the end of the year bonuses and etc because they are I'm quite sure of are under the amount of claims they process vs deny.

I hope that Unum gets exposed for what they are doing to people and when you are sick and going through being denied of your benefits is the last thing you want to here ESPECIALLY when you pay for your benefits and it isn't company paid. Forms after forms and some I had to pay to get filled out as well as go sit at the Dr's office until it was faxed in. Although I am sick I did everything I could responsibly to make this process smooth by making calls and going to the physician office until the fax were recv'd. Little did Unum know I had a copy of all my records even information they requested which is how I caught Sabrina in a lie that she tried to say about one of my physcians, now had I not had my records and copies of forms I may have believed her but I thank God he gave me common sense and that I had my copies for my own records.

Another thought. Why were nurses looking at my file at Unum to determine if I was disabled or not, and in what century is a nurse degree higher than a physician? My point is dr. to dr would have not denied my claim and the two nurses that work with Sabrina that decided on my denial along with her manager must be from or on another planet that their credentials is higher than my physician to determine what is disabling or not. The facts, the evidence were there but UNUM just didn't want to pay me for what I have paid on every paycheck. I would rate them -0.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2019

I have had a claim open since February for income protection which they continually refuse to payout against. I suffer from crippling anxiety and depression which they refuse to acknowledge despite tons of medical evidence. This company create more stress and upset. Horrible to deal with. Lousy company with no ethics whatsoever.

UnumProvident Insurance Company expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Unum is one of the oldest insurance companies in the United States, having first offered insurance prior to the Civil War. It became the first disability insurance provider in the United States in 1939.

• Online tools to help users choose the right policy: Users can answer questions online to find out which disability policy is right for them.

• Covers childbirth as well as short-term illnesses: People who cannot work while pregnant or due to complications of childbirth can take advantage of short-term disability benefits.

• Individual supplement available: Consumers who depend on commissions or bonuses at work can purchase supplemental insurance to protect them in the event of a disabling condition.

• Group plans for employers: Many users can purchase this insurance through their employers.

• Offers clear information online: Users can find out exactly what each policy covers by looking at the company's website.

• Best for: People who have been injured and people recovering from surgery.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky