State Farm Homeowners Insurance

State Farm Homeowners Insurance
Compare Quotes
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.01/5

State Farm is best known for its auto insurance, but it also offers homeowners insurance. When you request a quote, State Farm suggests one of three levels of coverage: Essential, Expanded or Premium. You can select add-ons and see if you qualify for discounts. AM Best has given State Farm a high rating for its financial strength.

BOTTOM LINE

State Farm offers solid homeowners insurance coverage. Policies can be pricey, but we think the coverage and discounts seal the deal.

PROS
  • Network of agents
  • Reviews praise claims process
  • Several discounts available
CONS
  • Fairly high rates

Top State Farm Homeowners Insurance Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about State Farm?

We've been with State Farm for 43 years. Had two major storms go through one of our farms. One was a tornado which destroyed a new 44' X 88' shop... State Farm was there, inspected the damage and issued a check. We were never disappointed... State Farm has always been there for us.

My home burned down to the ground. We had the clothes on our backs our pet died and lost everything. State Farm was at the burn site the next morning with a 5000.00 check.. I wasn't punished for our claim. I will never go anywhere else. They showed me hands down they are the best there is in crisis.

State Farm Homeowners Insurance Compare Quotes

See if you can lower your rate today

Compare insurance providers on Quotewizard

Get started

See if you can lower your rate today

Compare insurance providers on Quotewizard

Get started

How does State Farm homeowners insurance work?

You can only purchase State Farm homeowners insurance through its network of independent agents. Once you receive a quote, you can choose from three broad tiers of coverage: Essential, Expanded or Premium. You can select add-ons, including flood insurance or earthquake coverage. Once you purchase State Farm homeowners insurance, you’re covered if your home is damaged due to natural disaster, theft or other covered incidents.

What does State Farm homeowners insurance cover?

The standard State Farm homeowners insurance plan provides multiple benefits, including:

• Dwelling coverage protects the overall structure of your home, including floors, countertops and built-in appliances.
  • Dwelling extension covers structures that are detached from your primary property.
  • Personal liability coverage helps pay for legal fees and medical bills if you’re held responsible for someone being injured on your property.
  • Medical payments coverage helps take care of medical expenses for a guest injured on your property.
  • Loss-of-use coverage handles the cost of a hotel and other necessary expenses if you need to find alternative housing while your home is undergoing repairs.
  • Personal property coverage reimburses you for damaged personal items.

State Farm also has add-ons for those who need extra coverage. Flooding and earthquake coverage are two of the most commonly used add-ons. State Farm add-ons include:

• Flood insurance provides coverage for natural flooding, which isn’t provided under standard homeowners insurance.
  • Earthquake coverage is not provided on typical homeowners insurance policies but can be added for an additional cost.
  • Full replacement cost covers the actual cost to rebuild your entire home.
  • Home systems protection helps replace several types of home systems, including water filtration systems, air conditioning systems and power generators.
  • Off-premises structures coverage lets you add structures you own that aren’t located on your primary home’s property to your policy.
  • Personal injury liability coverage helps pay for legal costs if someone is injured at your home and the injured party sues you.
  • Sump pump and drain backup covers water damage caused by a faulty sump pump or drain backup.
  • Service lines coverage provides financial protection if underground lines that belong to you need repair or replacement.
  • Umbrella coverage is an extra layer of coverage that protects your assets in a lawsuit. This is a helpful add-on for those with high net worth.
  • Identity theft coverage helps you pay legal fees if your identity is stolen.
  • Energy-efficient upgrade coverage helps pay for the cost if an appliance breaks and you replace it with a more energy-efficient version.
  • Mold coverage helps cover the costs of mold removal.

State Farm home insurance cost

Most policies with State Farm cost between $1,500 a year and $3,000 a year. That comes out to between $125 and $250 a month. More valuable homes typically have annual premiums of $4,000 a year or more. Important factors that affect the cost of your State Farm homeowners insurance include the level of coverage, the value of your home and where you live.

The best way to get a price on homeowners insurance is to request a quote through the State Farm website or to speak to a State Farm agent.

State Farm homeowners insurance discounts

You can benefit from a variety of discounts with State Farm that keep your policy more affordable.

• Multipolicy discount: Combine your homeowners insurance policy with your State Farm auto insurance policy to save up to 20%.
  • Home alarm discount: State Farm provides discounts if your home is protected with a smoke, fire or burglar alarm.
  • Roofing materials discount: Installing impact-resistant roofing earns you lower premiums with State Farm.
  • No-claim discount: The company provides discounts for those who haven’t made recent claims. You can qualify for this discount even if you’re switching from another company.

State Farm homeowners insurance FAQ

What does State Farm homeowners insurance not cover?
Standard insurance from State Farm doesn’t cover damage caused by floods or earthquakes. These are two of the most common add-ons people purchase for their homeowners insurance policies, depending on where they live. They’re both worth considering if you think this type of damage is possible. Whatever is not explicitly listed as covered in your policy is not covered.
Does State Farm homeowners insurance cover foundation repair?
It depends. If a natural flood damages your foundation, then foundation repair won’t be covered unless you have purchased flood coverage.
How does State Farm pay homeowners claims?
State Farm can make payments into your bank account, send them in the mail or pay the repairer directly.
Does State Farm homeowners insurance cover water damage?
It depends on the source of the water damage. If the damage comes from a leaking appliance, it’s typically covered. If the cause of damage is a natural flood, you’re only covered if you have a flood damage add-on.

Is State Farm home insurance good?

State Farm offers good coverage for homes. The prices can be a bit high, but the convenient network of agents and multiple available discounts sweeten the deal. Several customers praised the company’s representatives for acting like members of the family when disaster struck.

State Farm Homeowners Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about State Farm Homeowners Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about State Farm?

Original review: Nov. 23, 2020

State Farm has definitely met our expectations with home insurance. Our most recent experience was needing a new lining to our chimney. We didn’t expect any compensation for it but eighty percent was covered. When our basement flooded, State Farm came through for us. When our sunroom needed extensive repairs, State Farm paid for half of the repairs and labor. I recommend this company to any homeowner.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2020

It's been a few years since a tree fell into our house, and at the time I had heard a lot of negative things about State Farm. However, while it took the adjuster a couple weeks to get to us, he was quick, thorough, and honest about what to expect. We received our adjustment reasonably quickly and without further problems. They were there for us when we needed them!

Get buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2020

We have been with State Farm for more than 20 years. We have filed 3 claims in those years on our homes. The coverage was good and was not held up by red tape. The price for our coverage is a little high, but I guess it’s the price we pay for the coverage we get. Overall, we are pleased.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2020

We have bundled this company to include vehicles and a camper. So far so good. They are always willing to sit down with us to reevaluate our policy for possible new discounts especially for new drivers who are doing well academically. They have also done an outstanding job helping us through some accidents without any hassles.

Original review: July 19, 2020

They made sure for me that since I live so close to a brand new fire station and police station, that I was eligible for a discount. Also, when I let them know I had a fire system in my house, they let me know I was eligible for a discount. They asked me if I had a home security system and make sure every year, with a reminder, to send them proof so that I can keep getting my discount. My agent calls me every year just to see how I’m doing if I have any questions. Whenever I have had a question, he is quick with an answer when I email him.

Original review: April 8, 2021

State Farm is such a bad insurance! Once you need to use it, they will settle the claim then cancel your insurance and there is nothing you can do discuss it. We had suitcases stolen full of Christmas gifts and personal clothes, we settled the claim and we received a letter saying that they were canceling our contract. A joke!!!

Original review: March 30, 2021

We had a house fire, State Farm Insurance recommended a contractor. They walked off the job leaving it unfinished with multiple repairs needed done. State farm refuses to help, refuses to fix house. Did I mention the contractor they recommended put a lien on my house and is suing for final payment.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2021

We have had StateFarm homeowners insurance for our house for the past 11 years! We own our home and thought we were covered in case of a disaster. Well we were wrong! We experienced a water disaster in our kitchen which was happening behind the wall until it came through and we were able to see it. We contacted them immediately to file a claim. They put us in a hotel because we cannot live in the home due to mold exposure and health concerns. We were also kicked out of that same hotel the very next day when they decided that they would not cover our claim because it was a “slow leak”. Does not matter that we had NO idea about it. They denied our claim! Leaving us with several 50+ thousand dollars of repairs for our home and no lodging so we have to live in my car! I am appalled at how they are treating us like dirt! Do not go with them just because of the big name! This does not mean that they will be better! They are inhumane!!!

Original review: Dec. 5, 2020

State Farm is a very good home insurance. Rental home insurance too. They are very into making sure that you are well taken care of as far as coverage on any situation and they are there any hours of the day and night.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2020

If I was able to rate State Farm lower than 1, I would. We had both a Homeowner's policy and a Landlord's policy with State Farm for more than 25 years with no claims. Then in February 2018, our pipes froze and burst in our home and for the first time we had to file a claim. We needed to get the damage repaired before we could continue to reside in our home because of the severity and number of breaks. So after notifying the State Farm Claims Department of our loss, we let them know that we needed to utilize the Additional Living Expenses (ALE) part of our policy so we could get temporary lodging. We were told that they would get back to us. And for every day for over a month, we were jerked around about getting money to get temporary housing.

We could not stay in our home and they didn't care. They played games about providing us the benefits of the policy we had paid premiums on faithfully, every month, for over 25 years. Finally, State Farm subcontracted with a hotel for us to stay in. It was very insulting because we were not given any other options. We were treated like irresponsible, untrustworthy, greedy people. Furthermore, we could not get State Farm to send an adjustor to our home to assess the damage; something that had to happen before any repairs could be made. To this day, STATE FARM HAS FAILED TO EVER EVEN ATTEMPT TO INSPECT THE DAMAGE. Nor have they paid anything to us to get the damage fixed. We got an attorney and filed suit against Stare Farm for Breach of Contract, Fraud, and Bad Faith Claims Handling Practices.

State Farm Homeowners Insurance Company Information