2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

2.7/5 (34 ratings)
Compare Quotes on Quotewizard

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

About State Farm Auto Insurance

State Farm is well known for its auto and homeowners insurances. When you request an auto coverage quote, State Farm suggests one of its three levels of protection. You can also select add-ons and see if you qualify for discounts. The company has a large network of local agents to assist with policy management.

Pros

• Intuitive website and mobile app
  • Multipolicy discounts
  • Many local agents

Cons

• Not the cheapest option
  • Quotes require personal info

Bottom Line

State Farm is an insurance provider with nearly a century of experience. Its car insurance rates are fairly standard, but you can apply for discounts or bundle policies to save money. It has more than 19,000 local agents nationwide.

Top State Farm Auto Insurance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I can call the office of our Agent, Rick **, and anyone I get is able to access our account and answer questions immediately. Very happy with our coverage: Home, 3 Autos, and Rent...

Verified

I have been with State Farm for several years now and see no reason to change. Local agent is great and the service level is unmatched by any of the others that I have used over t...

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

About State Farm auto insurance

State Farm started by providing auto insurance to farmers in 1922 — now it’s one of the biggest car insurance companies in the country and serves a wide range of drivers. It employs more than 19,000 local agents to help you find and manage the right policy. If you prefer to handle your policy yourself, though, its online portal and mobile app are intuitive and easy to use. State Farm’s coverage costs typically are reasonable, and it offers several discount options.

State Farm auto coverage

State Farm offers standard auto insurance coverage, including:

• Collision
  • Underinsured motor vehicle coverage
  • Medical payments coverage
  • Emergency road service coverage
  • Rideshare driver coverage

State Farm auto insurance quotes and rates

Typically, the cost of auto insurance depends on your individual situation, including your age, location, driving history, gender and more. State Farm features two discounts:

• Drive Safe & Save: Tracks your driving and provides discounts based on your safety levels.
  • Steer Clear: For new drivers or drivers under 25 years of age with no at-fault accidents or moving violations within the past three years.

Its other discounts options include:

• Accident-free
  • Anti-theft
  • Multicar
  • Policy bundling

State Farm auto insurance FAQ

How much is car insurance from State Farm?
Car insurance rates vary depending on your age, gender, location and driving history — the best way to find out how much a State Farm auto policy will cost you is to get an online quote.
Does State Farm raise rates after your first accident?
State Farm might raise your rates after an accident, but this isn’t always the case.
Does State Farm do accident forgiveness?
No. State Farm doesn’t offer accident forgiveness as a coverage add-on or as a reward for safe driving.
Where is State Farm available?
State Farm is available in all 50 states and Washington, D.C., but not all coverage features are available in all locations.

Is State Farm good car insurance?

State Farm has sold car insurance in the U.S. for nearly a century and has formed a reputation for being reliable. It employs more than 19,000 agents across the country, so you can almost always find a representative to talk to in person. If you prefer to handle your policy on your own, State Farm’s website and mobile app also make policy management easy. Overall, State Farm is a good auto insurance choice for most drivers.

State Farm Auto Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about State Farm Auto Insurance?

Original review: Nov. 7, 2021

State Farm has excellent rates. You can get discounts for multi- car, safe driving etc. Whenever I have had a claim they paid promptly and my rates did not increase. I have been insured with State Farm for about 20 years. I have gotten quotes from other auto insures and the rates were higher with less coverage.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2021

Notifications for price increases & when renewals are due are severely lacking in my experience with previous agent in Dallas, Texas. After being a loyal customer for many years I did not receive a timely renewal notice & was penalized by not being renewed & starting as a new inexperienced policy holder with significant increase in rating for my car despite still having home insurance with State Farm!

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 1, 2021

I utilized the mobile app for roadside assistance for the second time on 6/29/2021 both for flat tires. Both times I have had a fantastic experience. The app is user friendly and easy to navigate. Both times I had service to my vehicle and back on the road in less than 45 min from the time I logged into the app. Both times the service people were wonderful, friendly and fast. I definitely will continue to use this service.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2021

PJS Towing and Recovery. I received this service through State Farm. I had to use them twice in one week. We thought my battery was low due to the cold, but when after a few days I thought the battery was dead and I needed a tow, they came and jumped it again. They were in constant communication about their ETA, and arrived on time each time. The guy advised that, after diagnosing my alternator, it was my battery and that I should replace it. He also advised me on replacing my jumper cables to a higher quality brand. Great company!!!

Original review: Dec. 28, 2020

My daughter had a wreck and called our insurance company that called roadside assistance. 4.5 hours and no one showed up. The insurance company called some days later asking where was it towed to, I told them it was not towed. After waiting 5 hours my daughter took a very dangerous chance and drove it home off the street.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2021

I have been with State Farm for over a year now. They agents are wonderful and knowledgeable to answer any concerns that I might have. They also call me to see if I need to adjust anything in my policy.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2021

I have been calling these crooks for 3 months to get an accident resolved. Not once have they called, not once have they had a resolution and zero answers every call. Save your self some time and hire attorney on day one. BBB is next

Original review: Nov. 9, 2021

I have been a State Farm customer for more than two decades. I recently received a call from my local office telling me that I have to move my homeowner insurance back to them in order to keep a discount on my auto insurance. The reason I had homeowner insurance elsewhere is because State Farm pulled out of Florida after a major hurricane (I did NOT file a claim after this storm). In any event I don't respond well to threats no matter how veiled or silky they are and instead of moving my homeowner insurance back to State Farm I moved my auto insurance to my agent who helped me with my homeowner's insurance when State Farm ran out and stranded me without any home insurance.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2021

Stay away from this agency and State Farm. They are useless in all matters. They are especially useless when it comes to problems and issues. If you have a "Payment plan", they will charge you a different amount each month with no explanations whatsoever. When asked for an explanation as to WHY each month's payment number is different, they don't provide an answer other than they will look into it. They never do and they never get back to you. This agency and State Farm has now caused me to lose 10 days of work, and has forced my son to miss 10 days of school because of their incompetence. They have no clue what they are doing, and they will cause you many hours of problems.

I thought going with a local agency after 31 years with Liberty Mutual would be a good thing. Boy, was I wrong. Their customer service leaves a lot to be desired and they refuse to get back to anyone concerning issues or problems. They will be happy to provide you a phone number so YOU can try and resolve problems, but they will not lift a finger to help you. They walk away from problems and instead rely on the customer to take care of it. I had a policy with them for 19 months and will not be renewing it because of the lack of help and service from this agency. Go to another insurance agency that values your business. This agency could care less about your business. There are many insurance companies that value your business. This is NOT one of them. You have been advised.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2021

They are fair. My premium was discounted due to the pandemic. It increased because the world opened back up. They offer many discounts to assist you with the lowest possible rate. I can say they are concerned with their customers livelihood. I would recommend them.

State Farm Auto Insurance Company Information