2. Miscellaneous

3.8/5 (321 ratings)

About Social Security Disability

Social Security Disability Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Social Security Disability?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Social Security Disability?

Original review: May 20, 2019

Where do I begin? My husband suffers from front temporal lobe epilepsy with brain damage. He fought eight years, after getting denied twice. He was promised $40,000 in backpay. Finally, last year, he won. They took four months to give him a MONTHLY check of $23. Then it was $150. Then his SSI hit and he started getting a decent amount of money. However, they LIED to him and ARE CONSTANTLY LYING TO HIM about when he is going to get his $17,000 SSDI backpay! First they told him it would be 60 days after his approval. THIS IS A LIE! Then, they told him it would be after his third payment. ALSO A ** LIE! Then they told him that it would be “No later than January 3rd.” ALSO A ** LIE! Then they gave him $2313 of his SSI backpay, in hopes of making him shut up. Then they told him his SSDI would be in “On May 11th, guaranteed.”

Right before May 11th gets here, we realize...Wait a minute, the 11th is a SATURDAY! So when the money was not in, obviously, we called on Monday. The very sweet lady said that it would be “No later than Thursday.” ALSO ANOTHER ** ** LIE! We called Thursday and they said they did not know why someone would tell us any dates because they were not going to give me my backpay AT ALL! THE PAYMENT CENTER MYSTERIOUSLY CANNOT BE CONTACTED FOR ANY REASON! SOMEBODY AT THAT PAYMENT CENTER HAS ** ME UP! I have contacted every government agency in the US to get through and NOTHING HELPS!

Original review: May 6, 2019

I applied for disability in 2012. I had been unable to walk for about 5 years. I was falling down and bashing my head and body a lot. Their Dr’s could not find anything wrong with my legs so the judge at my hearing put in writing I was fat, lazy and a fraud. That was the end of July 2015. Two months later I had many strokes. One month later my first heart attack. They discovered a blood clot the size of my stomach was cutting off my blood flow to my legs and crushing my organs. S.S. still denying my claim. Another heart attack. 2 major surgeries still denied. Lost everything. Sold everything of value. After one year in the hospital I finally got approved. But lost all Back pay. And currently can’t afford to live anywhere in the county and owe huge amounts of money. I had zero doubts before I became ill.

Original review: May 4, 2019

I have a listed condition and I met the listing based on the SSDI guidelines. The SSA even wrote in both denial letters, "although your condition is serious..." but then they added, "we don't expect it to last 12 months" so that they could deny my claim. My attorney filed 2 requests for on the record decisions, submitting more medical records each time. He also included my approval letter from my LTD company, approving me as disabled in any occupation.

They still ignored my request for OTR. I have to do the hearing by video in a few months. They seem to have ignored my treating physician opinions entirely, yet I filed in Jan 2017, 2 months before they changed the regulation so they would no longer have to give the treating physician opinion the weight. I believe they continued to ignore my OTR request so that they could force me in front of a vocational expert. They are doing this to me, in spite of the fact that my doctor wrote a residual functional capacity form stating I needed breaks every 1 to 2 hours in an 8 hour day and could be out of work for months at a time with no warning.

What possible work will they fabricate that I am capable of doing under those conditions. In my 2 prior denial letters, they stated I could work as a bus monitor or a kosher meat inspector. I am college educated and have only ever done white collar work. I have moderate to severe cognitive impairments resulting from brain atrophy. After 11 knee surgeries, cervical disc replacements and lower back surgery, I tore the cartilage in both hips. I don't think I could be a bus monitor and only Ranbis can be kosher meat inspectors.

I am also over 55, worked most of my life aside from a 2 year period where I was awarded a fully favorable decision on my SSDI claim. My condition is permanent and likely to only worsen further, as I age. There is no cure. They could have just approved me at the listing level and freed up the ALJs. They are breaking their own policy guidelines in ignoring treating physician opinion on claims filed prior to Mar 2017, in their zest to deny claims.

Original review: May 3, 2019

I don't mean to be rude, but I almost have to laugh at some of these reviews with people complaining about waiting a few months, or even a year or two for their SSD. Even better is the one complaining about $42. Can anyone beat my ordeal? I filed for SSD in 2009- yes, you read that right - TEN years ago. In that time I have been denied by the lower levels, had an ALJ hearing which I was denied at, Appeals Council then denied my request for a remand, my case went all the way to federal court where it sat for years when the decision was FINALLY turned over by a federal court judge who then sent it back to Social Security. I was made to have ANOTHER hearing with the SAME ALJ who originally denied me and who seemed quite perturbed at that I was back.

His first words at the hearing was "why are here again?" Needless to say, he denied me again. Appealed at the Appeals Council for the second time and they overturned the judge's decision AGAIN and now I'm sitting here waiting for them to schedule me a new hearing yet again. I have had TWO consultative exams with Social Security's own doctors and both wrote extensive reports (over 10 pages long) and BOTH concluded their report with literally stating that I would not be able to sustain full time work. My lawyer said that is practically unheard of for SS doctors to do. They won't even listen to THEIR OWN DOCTORS! Not to mention my own doctors who wrote letters detailing my condition and also said that I would not be able to sustain work.

So basically, they think that their own doctors are incompetent and that my doctors are so unethical that they will just write whatever I ask them to because I pay them. In the last 10 years I have lost everything- my home, my good credit, my friends- literally everything. I have to depend on my sister for help with everything and even my parents who are in their 70s. This system is completely disgusting. I wish I were dead every day because of them. I have zero hope that my THIRD hearing will have any different result than the last two.

Original review: May 2, 2019

I applied for SSDI in April of 2018 because I became ill, and started experiencing extreme pain, and couldn't return to work since September of 2016. Well, after applying it took several months before I got a decision. My case was even picked up by the auditing part of SSA to make sure the part of SSDI that makes the decisions were doing their jobs right. Well, when I got my letter saying I would be getting SSDI, they also said I didn't qualify to be disabled until August 9, 2018, which in fact, has screwed me out of my back pay. And I found that out today. So thank you government for hurting me again. You took so long to pay me you put me in deep debt, and without that back pay I have no way to pay my debtors off.

Original review: April 9, 2019

I filed a temporary claim with them when I was diagnosed and had both breasts removed from cancer. I was denied all through the process and was told to have a hearing. By the time I waited on the claims process I was already healed and although I still suffer from nerve damage was able to return to work full time. The social security disability benefit is a joke. I paid my own money into that for when I would need it and then have them tell me I can't have it. This whole administration needs an overhaul.

Original review: March 21, 2019

They are deliberately denying claims. Chief judge came out stated they are being urged to deny claims. They hire lawyers and give them title law judge. 7th District court which are real judges said they ignore medical evidence and play Dr. Majority of all claims are denied to tie up a fake court system. One Dr stated denials are a cash register. One had ** conviction other could practice. Chief medical officer for social security thought their tactics were unethical and let go. The denial lady told me there was no employment I could do but they put down there is so they can deny my claim. Complete sham. People are living in the woods.

If you apply you will lose your home, destroy your credit and maybe commit suicide. We have a benefits crisis in this country. They now want to watch you on social media but who watching them and the fraud they are committing on deliberate denials. It doesn't matter if you can do every job in America. If you miss 7 days in a year you'll be terminated. People rather do gainful employment they make 2/4 times more. Social security should start hiring these people. You want give illegals SSI but can't take care of your own people.

Original review: March 13, 2019

I went in with eyes open. You should assume if you file for SSDI it will take at almost 3 yrs to complete unless you have terminal diseases. It has been this way for years. If you have a high school degree and or college, it will be harder. If you are under 50, harder. If you are in your 20s and 30s, really hard. If you are claiming fibromyalgia, anxiety, chronic pain syndrome it will be harder, mild learning disability, harder. I had a CE exam. He was very nice and actually said I was in worse shape than my own doctor. The judge looks for consistency between all your medical records and follow up care and taking your medication and if your daily activities compares to medical conditions and CE exams If you haven't been seen by a dr in a yr, not good. Not taking meds, not good.

Be totally honest, don't exaggerate. When you fill out your daily activity forms, don't exaggerate. You don't have to be housebound doing nothing to be approved. I was diagnosed w/ fibromyalgia 18 yrs ago. I thought it was crap then and I told the CE dr I didn't think I had fibromyalgia and he agreed w/ me. Get a lawyer. If you are asked to get occupational testing don't exaggerate. Do your best. If you don't, they will see through it and that will not be good for your case. I was approved at my hearing so I didn't have to wait for a decision. It took less than 2 months to receive my award letter and money. If you are going to do this, get a LAWYER. You will more than likely be denied until you go to hearing. Just telling you what I learned during this process. 4 stars because it takes so long. Good Luck.

Original review: March 5, 2019

They lie...sit on their butt...while people who worked full time most of their life are losing their homes and taking their lives. Fix the problem and get these joke of examiners out! NC is a mess! Fix it now! I would rate them a zero if that was a choice!! 8 months...and still no facts... My doctors tell me they didn't even request medical records yet!! It's been 8 months! Damn joke. And NC representatives do absolutely nothing to improve the joke of a system!!!

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

In early January I learned there were fraudulent charges on my account. After being on hold for over an hour I was told I would receive paperwork to file a claim for these charges. Inexplicably, $100 of the charges was credited back to my account. Next I received a letter stating the remaining charges were given back as a "provisional credit." Yesterday, one of the fraudulent charges was deducted from my account as a "reversal debit." I tried calling several times and was hung up on due to heavy call volume.

Today, I finally talked to someone and all it did was piss me off further. The representative was extremely rude, refused to answer WHY the charge was deducted although the investigation is allegedly not over yet. He kept talking in circles. I asked to speak to a supervisor and got the same treatment. Direct Express literally has hundreds of complaints of this nature and yet neither Social Security nor CoAmerica make has done a damn thing. It is past time for a Class Action lawsuit to be filed against all three of them.

Social Security Disability Company Information