1.56/5
Based on 227 reviews that contain star ratings

251 Social Security Disability Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 9, 2019

I filed a temporary claim with them when I was diagnosed and had both breasts removed from cancer. I was denied all through the process and was told to have a hearing. By the time I waited on the claims process I was already healed and although I still suffer from nerve damage was able to return to work full time. The social security disability benefit is a joke. I paid my own money into that for when I would need it and then have them tell me I can't have it. This whole administration needs an overhaul.

Original review: March 21, 2019

They are deliberately denying claims. Chief judge came out stated they are being urged to deny claims. They hire lawyers and give them title law judge. 7th District court which are real judges said they ignore medical evidence and play Dr. Majority of all claims are denied to tie up a fake court system. One Dr stated denials are a cash register. One had ** conviction other could practice. Chief medical officer for social security thought their tactics were unethical and let go. The denial lady told me there was no employment I could do but they put down there is so they can deny my claim. Complete sham. People are living in the woods.

If you apply you will lose your home, destroy your credit and maybe commit suicide. We have a benefits crisis in this country. They now want to watch you on social media but who watching them and the fraud they are committing on deliberate denials. It doesn't matter if you can do every job in America. If you miss 7 days in a year you'll be terminated. People rather do gainful employment they make 2/4 times more. Social security should start hiring these people. You want give illegals SSI but can't take care of your own people.

Get expert buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 13, 2019

I went in with eyes open. You should assume if you file for SSDI it will take at almost 3 yrs to complete unless you have terminal diseases. It has been this way for years. If you have a high school degree and or college, it will be harder. If you are under 50, harder. If you are in your 20s and 30s, really hard. If you are claiming fibromyalgia, anxiety, chronic pain syndrome it will be harder, mild learning disability, harder. I had a CE exam. He was very nice and actually said I was in worse shape than my own doctor. The judge looks for consistency between all your medical records and follow up care and taking your medication and if your daily activities compares to medical conditions and CE exams If you haven't been seen by a dr in a yr, not good. Not taking meds, not good.

Be totally honest, don't exaggerate. When you fill out your daily activity forms, don't exaggerate. You don't have to be housebound doing nothing to be approved. I was diagnosed w/ fibromyalgia 18 yrs ago. I thought it was crap then and I told the CE dr I didn't think I had fibromyalgia and he agreed w/ me. Get a lawyer. If you are asked to get occupational testing don't exaggerate. Do your best. If you don't, they will see through it and that will not be good for your case. I was approved at my hearing so I didn't have to wait for a decision. It took less than 2 months to receive my award letter and money. If you are going to do this, get a LAWYER. You will more than likely be denied until you go to hearing. Just telling you what I learned during this process. 4 stars because it takes so long. Good Luck.

Original review: March 5, 2019

They lie...sit on their butt...while people who worked full time most of their life are losing their homes and taking their lives. Fix the problem and get these joke of examiners out! NC is a mess! Fix it now! I would rate them a zero if that was a choice!! 8 months...and still no facts... My doctors tell me they didn't even request medical records yet!! It's been 8 months! Damn joke. And NC representatives do absolutely nothing to improve the joke of a system!!!

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

In early January I learned there were fraudulent charges on my account. After being on hold for over an hour I was told I would receive paperwork to file a claim for these charges. Inexplicably, $100 of the charges was credited back to my account. Next I received a letter stating the remaining charges were given back as a "provisional credit." Yesterday, one of the fraudulent charges was deducted from my account as a "reversal debit." I tried calling several times and was hung up on due to heavy call volume.

Today, I finally talked to someone and all it did was piss me off further. The representative was extremely rude, refused to answer WHY the charge was deducted although the investigation is allegedly not over yet. He kept talking in circles. I asked to speak to a supervisor and got the same treatment. Direct Express literally has hundreds of complaints of this nature and yet neither Social Security nor CoAmerica make has done a damn thing. It is past time for a Class Action lawsuit to be filed against all three of them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Social Security Disability?

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I have been unable to work since 2011 and SSDI refuses to approve me. I have a blood disease, a mild cognitive disorder, fibromyalgia, severe anxiety and major depression. And SSDI at the hearing level still would not approve me. They claim I am still able to work. The people making these decision need to become ill and have to go through the same system they make determinations to see how it feels. It is a shame that in this so called developed country the sick and poor have to suffer like this. All the years we work and pay for Social Security and when you need it you have to fight tooth and nail to get what you deserve.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

I wish I could give 5 negative stars! Maybe the government shutdown will scare them a bit! And I am not D. T. supporter! I filed online application for disability. Hadn't finished it, wanted to it to be completed perfectly. Local office wanted me to file SSI. I was confident I didn't want to go through that. I canceled appointment for SSI. Was told I could still apply for SSDI. About 2 days later I received a denial for SSDI. Called national number, they said it was my local SS office that requested I go in. I am bedridden, I needed to be accommodated.

Finally called back after receiving an informal decision on SSI, WTF! Saying cause "I told them I didn't want to apply" seriously. Has phone interview, hung up on by customer service Agent from local office cause I asked too many questions. I actually called the system out about SSI back payments coming in one lump sum if you no longer qualify for SSI. "HANGING UP NOW!" Is it because I'm a **! I hate saying this crap, because I'm not a racist trump supporter, but geez! ** WOMAN IN NEW ORLEANS HATE ** WOMAN! I SAID IT! I'm so sick of this crap! I had nothing to do with your issues! I'm poor as poor can be! Every time I hear a noise I go look for the tow truck! Frig is bear! Credits shot! Fired from my job! Asked for an accommodation. Got fired!

Went to EEOC. Was told I couldn't file a charge because of my last job in service doesn't allow. Basically doesn't allow disabled people to get accommodated! Now not able to work over a year! Filed a new claim. It got lost by a really nice lady who they probably told to ** with me. I had to file a new one, Then found! Dr never had any SS people contact them! Now I've been waiting since March just to file a real SS disability claim. First one was a joke second one as I'm in the middle of telling her about my disabilities she's telling me not to tell her what disks are effacing my CSC. Seriously! Wow! As I'm writing this I'm wondering they will know it's me. I don't know why I even write this. Should I press send. Well. I suppose! Racism makes me suck! Reverse racism is rampant at the local SS office! Why! There is sooo much more that went on but, mine is still processing and I'm really scared! It's who you know!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I receive SSI and SSA every couple of years. They send me threatening letters they will stop my payment. I have learning disability since I was a kid. I've been receiving payments. My dad was the payee since I was a little boy now as an adult I receive my own payments. Threatening letter say they have to review my claim. Have to go to a stupid psychiatrist to evaluate me which is a psychiatrist send by Social Security. Not even sure if he's even a real doctor. Had my benefits cut for very dumb reasons. A psychiatrist will see you in determining whether you are disabled not just by talking to you or giving you some school work for 2 to 5 minutes. Not even realizing you've been receiving disability for over 10 years. But they don't care.

And I call Social Security and he told me those claim appeals can happen any time at any month in any year. Hickory said that disability does not forever. How the ** are you going to say someone can't be disabled for the rest of their life. And they want everybody to be independent regardless of your disability even if you need help. For example you can get help with paying rent or food they will count that as a income even suspend or cancel your whole entire check. I'm 29 years old. I lived on my own pay my own rent paid my own food. I don't drive so I use Uber. They did not bother me for a whole entire year but as soon as I start living with my sister they start bothering me.

I live with my sister several times and they always bother me when I live with a family member but when I live alone they leave me alone... some people say people on SSI are living off the system which those people are totally incorrect. We receive SSI for a reason. We do not live off the system. As I stated previously I lived on my own. I had rent, electric bill, cable bill, credit card bill, phone bill. We have bills to pay. No one lives for free. At the end of the month I only would be left with $50 for food... but some of those Social Security employee don't care. They will still cut off your check for any reason. There's been homeless because of their check being cut but they don't care. They'll give you a stupid reason that you can't have no address.

Are you an idiot? The person is homeless and you are the cause of it by cutting their check. I don't believe the system is broken. The problem is the employees don't know what they're doing. They're not trained correctly or don't care the people are disabled and they will do anything to cut your check. People who work for Social Security mostly have a high school diploma or only one degree. The system could be a hundred times better if they trained employees how to do their job correctly. Not slack off or break the law... forgot to mention the way they calculate your income and things you pay for is so retarded. They clearly are making up math. As they go you have to sit there with them and show them all the proof of how much for rent in things you pay for... if not they will sit there and try to make up a number. How retarded. My rent was $395. They try to say I paid less than $150. Have to show them my lease and all the proof...

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I have been unable to work since 2008. I suffered a severe injury as a child and my symptoms kept progressing as I aged. I was able to work for a while but my symptoms got worse and worse to the point I could no longer do the duties of my job. I had surgery but it only made things worse to the point I couldn't move my arm for several months and I have severe constant nerve pain in my neck and dominant arm and constant muscle spasms. The doctors say the only thing else they can try besides pain management would be neck fusion surgery which my shoulder specialist said never to allow anyone to do. I have seen numerous doctors and have tried about everything multiple times, physical therapy 4 times, surgery, acupuncture, massage therapy, tens/men's, etc. I have over 200 pages of doctor documentation just related to this health problem.

I did not know about Social Security Disability insurance until recently (the only assistance I will if for) so I applied and submitted my 10 years and 200 pages of health records. I was denied saying the evidence supporting disability did not exist in my medical records which was a lie. I spoke to lawyers who had me outline the disability policy that pertained to my disability and was told it did qualify since it affected more or more major joints, gave them my records, and they helped me with an appeal. Unfortunately none of my doctors remembered me from years ago and would not respond to their questionnaires so the lawyer said they would not help with the appeal but to send it in on my own but expect to be denied because the current administration is automatically denying almost everyone under 50 according to a former judge they pay as a consultant. I appealed and was told the same thing, evidence does not exist for claimed disability.

I had MRI reports, x-rays, doctor notes, and all kinds of info that showed I have chronic pain and instability in my neck and dominant arm but they lie and say I have no evidence of disability. It is sad that they lie and don't understand that invisible disabilities are real and are a constant battle for those that live with them. I feel like the process is to discourage people from applying. This is just a glimpse into what applying was like. The whole thing took about 9 months and was very discouraging. They make you do a whole lot of work and put little to no work into reviewing your case, simply responding with a canned letter and a handful of words saying you are denied. It sure makes people applying feel like crap. I worked as long as I was physically able and paid into social security and then it's not there when I need it and to top it off they lie and belittle my disability in their denial letters. What a miserable bunch a people they have running this program.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

This system is a joke. They are denying people on a whim now. My case was open and shut going into the trial. My doctor had already reported me as fully disabled per the RFC. The ALJ denied me on the following grounds: regular church attendance, riding a motorized bike for transportation (only vehicle I could afford after waiting over 2 years for a trial); and having a pet cat that lives outside to catch the mice coming in my trailer. Yet, MILLIONS of people already on disability go to church regularly, ride bicycles up steep hills with no engine assistance, and take care of big, barking at cars and crapping in the yard - dogs. They just don't want to pay up after you've paid in because THEY CAN'T BALANCE THEIR OWN BUDGET.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

Worked all my life. The last 2 to 3 years in increasing pain. Had to eventually quit. SS denied, like they do everyone. My son had been approved previously because he was autistic. Because of income, he wasn't eligible for anything so I let it lapse. Reapplied when I applied for mine. While he was previously approved without question, now he's denied. Waited 2 1/2 years and the judges just shook their heads because they knew we should have been approved. I lost my home, credit, everything. Finally got my back pay and they didn't say a word about taxes, keeping it, anything. So now that I spent nearly all of mine just to keep HUD and additional help, I find out some of it's taxable and there are some limited ways to keep it.

But you have to pay more legal fees and accountants just to get through it. Why even bother with back pay at all since they know it won't help you, and in fact makes it worse? Social Security should be required to disclose this information to all recipients in a clear understandable manner, and not make the person find out later. They should also pay a penalty each and every time they deny cases they KNEW qualified. Because I'm over 50, their own regulations state I should have been approved. But only the government gets to ignore their own rules. Rules only apply to everyone else.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I have applied for Social Security a couple times and finally made it to a hearing in front of an administrative law judge to only be turned down again. A person who has lived in pain for 22 years from breaking their pelvis in half finally gets to the point they need to file and gets denied. It makes me wonder how our system has gotten so screwed up. I am filing for an appeal with the appeals council if I'm denied an appeal. I guess that it will have to go to civil action in U.S. federal district court.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

Why does Social Security threaten to stop your SSI checks every few years? You go through hell to get it, and then after they give it to you, they keep trying to stop your money, (what's with that?)... Are they just bored and like to harass people by threatening their livelihood?

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I have stage 4 congestive heart failure. Was diagnosed March 2015. Now I am 46. Days after my diagnosis I was terminated from my job of 6 years. I was able to collect unemployment for 14 weeks but left with no money no insurance thereafter. I did file a wrongful termination case with the EEOC and won of a year later but funds covered past months. Now 3 and a half years later I still am waiting because I can't afford medication. Now I have chronic pulmonary hypertension in end stages and far worst then my heart problems. As if I was not suffering enough. I am days away from being homeless. I have paid into of system since my very first paycheck and never given is choice to do otherwise. Yet when I need help I get nothing.

I have worked all my life only to find myself homeless in my last days?!? Never have I collected any assistance in all my life nothing not a dime. Yet here I am. I feel our system is so very flawed. I can't believe I am still waiting a disability approval. I checked again today and same message I am approved medically and my case is being work to see if I qualify. Same message 6 months.

I hired an attorney day one. That has not helped. I call the disability office every 2 weeks. I contacted my state representative. I hound my attorney's office. I have contacted anyone who would listen yet I have no help, no money and no way to afford a doctors visit even at a clinic nor medication. I have sold most of what I own for pennies just to be able to eat and keep my power on to maintain my breathing machine. More than 10,000 people died last year alone waiting on an approval from disability. How many more people need to suffer like this? It's hard enough dealing with a terminal illness.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I am still floored that Judge ** denied my SSDI claim over 6 months ago, first of all if you re reading this I assume you filed for SSDI and doing research. If there is three things I could pass on to you it would be 1. Most people on the internet say if it takes a long time after your hearing to hear about your judge ruled on you, you most likely won. That was not my case. It took almost 6 months to learn that the judge turned me down.

2. My lawyer, my cardiologist and my primary care doctor all said I would have no problem getting put on disability, now my lawyer said nothing is guaranteed but I was almost for sure going to win my case as she put it. You never know how the judge will rule but I had one of the strongest cases and should win no problem, so just because people that should know what they are talking about say something in your favor the only opinion is what the judge thinks. If the judge is having a bad day you will lose your case!

3. They always give you a chance to talk during your hearing towards the end of it. Take advantage of that. I feel like I didn't take full advantage of that time. It seemed everything was going my way in the hearing that I chose not to add anything that was most likely a mistake. And a 4th thing I was sent to a SSDI doctor and when I got there they said I didn't have an appointment so I had to call someone at SSDI to give me an appointment. Luckily I had the appointment letter with me so the doctor's people said they would try to work me in after about 2 hours. After my appointment time I was seen by the doctor for all of three minutes half of which the doctor complained about her pay she got from SSDI appointments.

In the the letter from the judge he talked on and on about how my 3 minute appointment. The doctor did not find cause for me to be put on SSDI. The judge never once in his final report mentioned my Cardiologist of over a year or my primary care doctor who I had seen at that point for over 10 years both wrote letters of support to get on SSDI. So long story short SSDI doctors are jokes. I'm a gulf war veteran and I feel completely abandoned and betrayed by my country and mostly by this Judge ** from Tampa.

One thing about being denied is that they do nothing for you afterwards, for me at least. I was so upset after my denial and there is no help with pointing you in the right direction. After going 3 years of appeals you just get a letter stating you have used up all appeals, no offers of job training to help me with finding a job with my disabilities, just a very cold final denial letter! This country has time and again borrowed money against social security and never paid it back.

Uses that money to give so called aid to counties that hate us, gives tons of aid to illegal immigrants, gives money to so many groups it can make your head spin but when me a gulf war veteran ask to get the money I paid into the system I get denied, when my primary care doctor and cardiologist took away my driver's license so I cannot do my job as a truck driver that I had done for 23 years before being disabled and they write letters of support for my claim and it has been proven that my disabilities are most likely from my time in the gulf war. The judge still denies me. There are no words of how betrayed I feel.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

My husband recently was approved for his disability. I had to go to the social security office two different times. Once for a meeting with a worker and once to drop off my pay stubs and bank statements. While there I ask both times (two different people) if when it’s time to apply for our sons if I need an appt. Both ladies told me that I just come in to apply. No appt. needed. I made sure to ask them both. I went to apply today and then was told no I cannot apply. I need an appointment. It’s not easy for me to get down to that office and the lady asked if I would like a phone interview or to come back in. Of course I picked a phone interview and I have to wait another month for that. I let them know the lady’s name that told me I did not need an appointment but they wouldn’t even listen to me. They did not care, worst experience of my life. She was so rude for no reason.

Original review: July 26, 2018

HIPAA violation with judges knowledge of error 3 times. Hubby had 3 strokes, neuropathy, diabetic, vision loss. Filed SSD 2015, denied claim due to wrong information on another person, different birth date, different social security number (HIPAA violation.) As soon as error was found. (denial letter) all proper documents turned into SSD office. Had 2 hearing in front of judge, July and Nov. 2017, they still had wrong person's information at both hearings! (HIPAA VIOLATION!) Even had legal aid courier Over 130 pages of correct documents. SSD STILL HAD NOT INCLUDED THESE INTO MY HUSBAND'S FILE!

Moved out of state, requested a transfer, denied twice then they approved transfer and set a new hearing date for April 2018. SSD canceled the April 4th 2018 hearing on April 3rd 2018 and they stated they would notify us of a new hearing date, after a month went by we called and found out SSD moved hearing to Missouri and we don't live anywhere near Missouri! Almost 3 years now and still getting the runaround!!! We need an attorney to help us win this case and end this run-around so we can go on with our lives!

Original review: March 16, 2018

Who the heck does the bookkeeping for SSI benefits? I swear those people cannot do math and the idiots don't even care that they send out two notices, with the same date stamp, in regards to my disabled son's SSI benefits. What the heck? I am my son's rep payee and my son lives with me so why isn't there a check and balance that saves the state money by not sending one copy for me and one copy for my son, yup that's 2 pieces of the exact same mail plus on the same date stamp another notice that states the opposite as the first. "We have overpaid by in the month of" "we will pay $$ in the month of" "your income increased" "your income decreased". My head is going to explode! If he wasn't getting SSI he would still qualify for his current medical benefits so why the heck don't we just stop the idiocy and move on??

What really got me one year we received a notice from their Western Program Service Center that they overpaid him $5874.00. When I looked into it and did the math, they were wrong, he was paid exactly what he received so when I brought that to their attention did I hear back from them? NO. They probably crawled back into their bureaucratic bubble and moved forward to mess with somebody else's head. I realize the Social Security Administration has a job to do and they have a lot of people they work with but for cripes' sake find someone or something that can do the math and get it right the first time rather than me getting multiple notifications of "we overpaid" "we underpaid" They don't know what the hell the right hand and the left hand are doing! And the folks in the offices? I feel sorry for them because they don't know what the other people are doing either.

Original review: March 13, 2018

My wife who has been disabled by Multiple Sclerosis has been denied after waiting 3 years. This dysfunctional system made her wait almost 2 years for a hearing and then another 6 months just for the decision. I obtained all of the records and notes that the DDS and ALJ used to determine she wasn't disabled. Talk about disgusting. The idiot DDS employee determined she wasn't eligible because she asked for steroids in the hospital when she was having an MS flare. Any person familiar with MS knows that steroids is the gold standard for treating symptoms. Instead of the DDS idiot consulting with a medical source she decided my wife wasn't disabled as she was drug seeking.

Next step is the reconsideration: This is where Social Security says they will have another DDS examiner review the previous examiners finding and see if they come to a different conclusion. This time the DDS examiner did consult a medical doctor. The only problem. This "doctor" is 84 years old and hasn't actually practiced medicine since the 70's. Denied again. Next step ALJ: My wife was forced to wait 17 months to see some biased old judge who made his mind up prior to even having the hearing. 6 months later he rendered a denial decision and only used the statement from the 84 year old doctor. He completely ignored my wife's treating neurologists statements, and records along with the 10 hospitalizations.

Now my wife can't walk, is basically bedridden and Social Security says she isn't disabled and can work. Folks the system is an absolute joke. The problem is no one petitions Congress to change anything. After all most people don't become disabled prior to retirement and likely could care less about the disability program Social Security has. The system is corrupt from the top to the bottom. At the top you have DDS examiners looking at applications. The problem is the DDS examiners have ZERO medical background. At the bottom you have ALJ's. Fake judges really who have as much medical knowledge as the DDS examiners who denied the case to begin with. Lots of times these "judges" have biases and render decisions based on their political beliefs and not the facts.

SSA posts statistics for these judges and the Republican ones grant approvals at the 20 percent range. Democrat judges grant approvals at the more normal 50-60 percent range. Luckily the Supreme Court is currently hearing arguments as to the constitutionality of these kangaroo court judges. They aren't appointed yet have lifetime appointments. Thank goodness I work and can support my wife. Otherwise she would be living under a bridge somewhere. This is totally an un-American way of treating people.

Original review: March 12, 2018

Well. I had NO lawyer, did all online. Physically visited SS office once! The only was I knew I was approved was logging onto my bank and finding 33K in checking!! Now, I applied 3/15/2017, approved approx. 3/7/2018 so, 1 year. No denials, no appeals. No calls for more information. I did go to 2 doctors they paid for. I did, however, have my own MD notes. I never thought they would be enough, but they were! Turns out, you CAN get approved on 1 try, and a lawyer? Heck no!! They do not make the wheels turn faster, might even gunk them up!!

Now, If I were to have been to an ALJ, I would have retained one. But, I also want to say DO NOT MALINGER AT YOUR CE'S!! The Drs and nurses and social workers KNOW when people lie and this is duly noted... Also manage your own Dr records, and submit these on your own, It is not hard!! Good luck, first try success story here, I am 56, an RN, and I did meet grid rules, I am sure. Educate yourself on what the SS Blue Book is, know the grid rules, look at message boards of law practices, study patient message boards, this is how I did this! Watch YouTube Videos, also.

Original review: March 12, 2018

I was awarded Social Security Disability benefits in the 2008. I am bipolar with anxiety problems. I've had many different medications. I take currently eight medications. Last year I decided to try and see if I could go back to work. I contacted Social Security about doing their work program. To make sure I was getting the correct information I called five different Social Security agents with the same questions. I did not want to in any way compromise my benefits or insurance. I started working part time and was sending in my paycheck copies as told to do. Even though I only worked 20 hours a week it was a struggle for me and there were many nights I would leave with a headache and eye twitching. I wanted so badly to be able to go back to work in hopes of full-time work and not have to live on benefits anymore.

Before doing the work program I was very nervous and afraid to even try it that I might get my benefits taken away or somehow compromise. I was assured by the Social Security people that would not happen as long as I sent in my paystubs and stayed within the dollar amount. At my part-time job I decided to give a full-time hours to see how I did in hopes I would handle things wonderfully. I did full-time for three weeks. Tried my best and realized I just could not handle full-time. I left that position and took off of any employment for a couple of months. Then I tried again with a part-time job that I've basically freaked out on and could not continue there. All this time I reported to them what I was doing if I had to stop that job and why I sent in all my paychecks and follow their strict rules by the book.

Last month I received no disability pay without any warning or information as of why. Then I'm sent a letter stating I'm not receiving disability anymore with no reason why and the week after that I receive A letter stating I have to pay over $500 into weeks to continue getting part A and B. My elderly father is going to have to pay for me to even have insurance to be able to get medication that keeps me somewhat functioning and suicidal thoughts at bay. Receiving these letters and being taken off disability just about sent me over the edge. I was seriously ready to throw in the towel per se. Now I can't get anybody to call me back and when I do get a hold of someone on their mainline nobody knows why I don't have benefits nor really wants to help me. These people don't care about you they don't care about how their actions will affect you.

It's a shame that people give it their best try to go back to work as not to get disability anymore and this is what happens. I will say to anyone and I hope a lot of people read this if you have even one thought of doing The trial work program, please do not do it. This just gives them any small reason to stop your benefits. I wish that I had found this site before I decided to do the trial work program because I wouldn't have never done it had I read this site.

So I'm saying basically I went on trial work program, did everything I was instructed to do and I still lost my benefits. Thankfully I am able to live with my elderly father or I would've been out homeless and on the street. I am currently doing an appeal to reinstate my benefits but I will be surprised if I get them back. Now I'm truly a burden to my family. No one at Social Security wants to help you and they're all rude. Our government should be truly ashamed of these things that are happening to people that are disabled mentally and or physically. We are fragile people we already feel like a burden to our family. We already worry and stress about our futures and what will happen to us. People do not sign up for their trial work. That's all I can say!!

Original review: March 8, 2018

I have been on disability for 15 years and recently turned 66. I have had a payee all that time and wanted to be my own payee now that I was on regular retirement. I thought it would be okay now that I am not on disability and the judge did not order a payee on my retirement social security. My doctor said as long as I continue to see him and have family support he seen no reason to let me try to take care of my own funds. So on Jan 12, 2018 I went into the social security office with my letter from the doctor and filled out the form SA-11. I asked the representative how long would it take to do everything and make a decision. She told me about 3 weeks that they would have to fax over a form to my doctor and let my sister know I am requesting to be my own payee.

Well folks here it is March 8, 2018 and nothing has been faxed or sent. I have called I do not know how many times and left a message for the rep to call me and tell me what is going on. I have called and talked to four different reps. I give them all the same information and all they say is they see my application and tell me they will email the rep and her supervisor to give me a call. Still nothing. I went in and sat for two hours. I seen another rep that day and she said wait another three weeks. She said they are probably behind because of the two government shutdowns?? Are you kidding me?

I gave it more time. Call Monday a rep answered. I gave her the same information. Here we go, "Yes it is here," she said but no decision has been made. I asked her why? She said she didn't know but she will transfer me over to the original caseworker supervisor. I said okay. Would you believe I left a message on her voice mail and explained how long I have been waiting. I asked her to please let me know what is going on. Why have I not received a courtesy call letting me know why they have taken no action on my representative own case? No callback. So I don't know what else to do to get an answer. If they are investigating my records fine but let me know something. Anything just something.

Original review: March 7, 2018

More than three years and counting since my initial application. I've had two hip surgeries (the second a total replacement) and two back surgeries since applying, and thyroid surgery scheduled for early April. I've had degenerative disk disease and hip arthritis for 20 years; and numerous herniated disks I've had complex PTSD since early childhood and grew up in and aged out of the foster care system. It took almost 2-1/2 years to get a hearing, and not enough time was scheduled, so the hearing was delayed another 4 months.

At the end of the hearing, the judge said that he found I was disabled but was not going to issue a decision that day. Three months later, I have yet to receive a decision. When I entered the hearing appeal stage, I was given a list of attorneys, and I hired one. I could not even have a short telephone conversation with him without scheduling an appointment. I asked myself why I should pay an attorney 25% of years of back-pay for what would amount to about 10 hours of work, so I fired him since I worked as a paralegal for over 20 years.

Most SSD employees are incredibly snotty, but I once reached one who told me one of the reasons this system is so clogged: Regardless of the claim validity, law requires a hearing if requested; and they have been inundated with claims for ADD/ADHD, mild conditions and other conditions that are not considered disabilities. In the meantime, it is holding up the process for those truly in need and making a nice payday for disability attorneys. In the meantime, I am at risk of losing my apartment because I have no safety net due to being orphaned before the age of 5. I contributed to SS for over 40 years, working as a "family" farm worker in a foster home and being employed ever since then. By the time I get anything, I may not even have a mailing address.

Original review: March 3, 2018

I was hospitalized with pulmonary embolisms to my lungs due to working conditions with Convergys a third party company that contracts with AT&T. The condition to sit with a wired headset lead to my illness. Needless to say I was unable to work for a long period of time and applied for disability in which I had to wait for 3 1/2 years before the judge settled my case. Once I won my appeal I was to be rewarded a closed amount of money that would close out my disability claim. Since August of 2017, these people have toyed with my life. I have gone from a 700+ beacon score down to I don't even check it anymore. They sent me a letter via mail stating on a particular date I would be getting a direct deposit into my own file banking account, and two days before the money was to be deposited I get this letter saying the payment had to be stopped.

I was devastated because of this a government facility and usually very points on when it comes down to funding. Well, I paid two of my credit cards ahead since this extra income was to be deposited into my banking account. I was unable to put a stop payment on the accounts I submitted payments for because the window of opportunity to do so was up. Because I am the only one paying my bills I had nowhere to turn. I have utilized all of my credit cards waiting for them to rectify the issue. They have lied and sent me a tax statement as if they had given that money to me. Then to top that off I keep getting my case is with the payment center (mind you they cannot be contacted) and every time I try to get answers I am told to call back in 30 days, and when 30 days come I have to call again. This has been a true nightmare, and my life have been turned, upside down. They have given me the true meaning of what deceit looks like.

Original review: March 3, 2018

It is just beyond unbelievable that we Americans pay 25-35% of each and every W-2 paycheck for a "safety net" designed to do nothing but fail us. I have a Bachelors Degree, followed by a Masters Degree. Go in to the local office, what am I dealing with there? A GED? A high school diploma level of education? These are the people telling us we are not disabled. The "Disability Doctors" that SSA sends us to are just that, doctors that work for the SSA! They are not going to independently find any of us disabled or not able to do a former job, in the all of 2-5 minutes that they spend with us. They and this whole system should be ashamed of themselves. The govt. nickel and diming the US into a 3rd World, or worse, country. It is all a giant SCAM.

My history isn't even as bad as some of the other heartbreaking stories I see on here. Their job, the entire process, is to DENY each and every one of us, every step of the way, until we are forced to hire a lawyer who, if they win, will get 1/4th of our back pay that we were entitled to all along. Every step of my applying, I always had Narcolepsy, Seizures, Migraines, Tension Headaches, Carpal Tunnel, Degenerative Disc Disease, Arthritis of the Spine, Ataxia, Chorea, Fibromyalgia, Major Depression, OCD, Anxiety, and quite a few other issues. I applied in early 2009, after spending a month in a psych. hospital, diagnosed with everything you could imagine for them to be allowed to keep me inpatient against my will. Well that wasn't enough for SSA, of course denied.

In 2010 I applied while hospitalized in the actual ER a lady filled out the papers for me, in for hours of missing time, never figured out what any of this was, possible seizures, oh missing time? To the SSA that is alright because of course you're not disabled! Everyone ends up in the hospital for missing hours here and there, finding yourself in different parts of the house, outside, behind the wheel, standing in the street. Surely you must be able to do their make-believe "gainful activity." 2011 I had seizures, more missing time, mental problems and more physical problems. Applied, was denied, went to the hearing. Totally true! The AL Judge told me that she wouldn't hear my case without a lawyer and would deny my claim! They aren't even allowed to do that, but obviously she was able to do this.

2013-2014 applied, denied, hired a lawyer, went to hearing. Also went to their fairytale drs., and who knows what they said, but they are not on the claimants' side. This judge asked about taking 1 online class, on the computer, and she asked what my overall GPA was. I told her honestly it was a 3.95. Guess what? That means you can surely do lots of FT work with gainful employment. Because I have a good GPA and was taking an online class. In addition I only got to review my CD to check if it was "complete" on one of their very old computers for about 2 minutes before my hearing started, so I don't know what medical records they had and didn't have.

She also said, and I have no idea where the judge would have gotten info. on my dealings with prior bosses and co-workers, "I see here that you have a problem getting along with bosses and authority figures? That you argue with them. Why is that?" I said "Probably because those bosses that you are talking about were idiots". But where did an SSA judge get such info. from? I know it seems like they can call former employers and get this, but this isn't a background check as to if I deserve a raise or a promotion, so no idea what this came from. Anyway, I got denied with a lawyer, and this judge who spent a lot of time yelling at me and cutting off all of my testimony, basically because I might not have gotten along with a boss (which fits my psych. diagnoses) and because she was on some level jealous of my GPA.

Summer 2015 I was back psych. hospitalized against my will, applied again when I got out. I now had a huge trail of records, diagnoses, tests, hospitalizations, and medical records. Again denied and I appealed. While waiting on the appeal and looking for a good lawyer, I was volunteering a few hours a week at a homeless shelter (NOT gainful FT activity) and I didn't hear my alarm go off. Woke up late, suddenly realized, I couldn't hear! In the course of an overnight I had very sadly lost 80% of my hearing. The same thing had also happened to my Mom years before, it was an autoimmune disease that they couldn't figure out, which resulted in death. It is called Sudden sensorineural hearing loss (SSHL), there is no cure, the only treatment is hearing aids.

After much testing and treatments to get my hearing back, I added all of these new records to my case for them to review in the meantime waiting for a hearing. Nope, still had to hire a lawyer. Like my Mom, the doctors and Neurologists ran many tests, couldn't figure out what caused the hearing loss, but now I had the added bonus of stumbling, falling, tripping, shaking, unsteadiness, and worse Narcolepsy and Excessive Daytime Sleepiness. I was told by all doctors I saw not to drive, this is not required tho to be found Disabled, and that I should have some kind of in-home care. I requested the SSA to open my case, not to have to wait for the trial, based on all of the new health issues. They refused.

February 2017 I have my hearing, with a new lawyer, in front of an AL Judge they had to pull out of retirement because of the huge back log of cases. I had been constantly updating the local SSA office in person, fax, and faxing to the Federal SSA offices every single shred of any time I went to any doctor or had any medical test done, anything related to my case. I asked my lawyer did they get all of my documents? I'd been faxing them over right up to the day before my hearing. My lawyer said "Jennifer, they have received over 950 pages of medical records just from you". Well good!

I could barely hear what the judge was saying, he was on the other side of a small court room. They could have offered some kind of screen with CC or something, but I don't know if they have the capacity for that. I could barely hear the lady that comes up with all of the make-believe jobs that I could supposedly do, the Occupational "Expert". I heard her say something about working full time cleaning houses, this is their usual go-to occupation they come up with for women, no matter what is wrong with you. I scoffed loudly at that, sorry, couldn't help it. She said some phone job, I can't hear, how am I going to do a phone job? Then a delivery job! I am no longer allowed to drive, how am I going to do FT delivery driving? I think some sorting job, not taking migraines, carpal tunnel, degenerative disc disease, arthritis, or really anything into the consideration of that.

All the Occupational "Experts" must do is come up with something you can do "in theory" to prove their case against you. For me, it's always something way bellow my education level, and that is OK with SSA. They don't care how you will pay back the $100k in student loans you racked up on the min. wage pay of a job vacuuming houses, when you can't walk, stand, balance, lift, crouch, or in my case, even hear what anyone is saying to you.

Shockingly, this AL Judge sent a letter within a few weeks, not months, finding me disabled on ALL fronts. His very long and in-depth write-up, about both medical and psychological issues, even went into his wondering why I needed a hearing or a lawyer. That I should have been found eligible for SSDI based only on my medical records. So if you can believe that! After my lawyer now gets $6,000 of my back pay, it is said that I didn't even need to have a hearing! Just unbelievable. Sidenote, the SSA doctors that they sent me to this latest time, the psychiatrist agreed that I was disabled, everything I said there was true. How tho legally could she have argued with 5 other shrinks? So her report agreed with everything I said was on some level disabled, but even then it meant nothing.

Then the irresponsibleness of the local offices in Roseville, MI comes into play. When I first was turning in paperwork, they asked me if I was "Making up medical codes and diagnosing myself". Yep, that makes sense, when I was only summarizing what the drs. were saying in their reports so it was easier to read, suddenly I was making up codes. As an aside, I used to work for a Plastic Surgeon, and one of my responsibilities was medical billing, where I dealt with diagnoses and treatment codes! But forget all that, surely I was the charlatan here.

They had me come in for the interview, I was eligible for SSI and SSDI, but the amount per month of my SSDI is too high to even get SSI. Don't let that stop the confusion! First they paid me the lump-sum of SSI. 6 months later, I still didn't have my back pay and got another lump-sum. Yet in the meantime, I'm already getting my monthly SSDI payments. So now it took them a full year to minus the 2 SSI lump-sums they shouldn't have paid me off of my SSDI back pay. This literally bottlenecked my back pay so badly, they were still owing me around another $16,000 and going in to the local office didn't help.

They even lost my first interview and accused me of not coming in. I showed the local office that I paid rent and they put in the system that I lived with my family, which means you get less per month from SSI. I showed the lady at the local office my lease, she still lied and put in that I lived for free with friends/family. I had a few months in back pay where I only was entitled to the SSI, you have that waiting period for SSDI, so they didn't overlap and because of this lie, I lost about $1500 that I was entitled to.

Now SSA says that they will get you all of your back pay, again that we all paid into, in 6 months max. Here I was at just under a year. The local office couldn't tell me anything, each time I went in they had a different spin-off story. The SSA 800 number couldn't tell me anything. My lawyer had to finally get involved, still didn't have my back pay. I had to contact my local Congressman's office! Rep. Sander “Sandy” Levin actually gets so many complaints, they have an online form and assistance to help you go after the SSA who are holding your back pay and gaining interest on it. I got them involved, many other districts might have someone like this too, and finally got my back pay within 2 weeks.

As an aside, after my first lump-sum, I closed an old bank account and opened one just for SS. I gave the new account to the 800# SSA and the local office. My monthly SSDI payments were going in the new one. The next lump sum and then the other after that? SSA put it into the bank account I'd closed 9 months prior! I called and informed them of this, they denied doing it, but of course they did, it was thru direct deposit. So then I got another was with the bank to get my money back from a closed account while they were now holding my money!

The whole cycle that we are forced to pay into in case we need it is a full-on scam at every single step. You apply, denied. Hearing, denied. Forced to pay a lawyer thousands out of your back pay, still might be denied. The uneducated and straight-up rude employees at your local office, they will not help you, they don't even answer the phones here. Call the 800# SSA and you'll be on hold 2-3 hours. The SSA doctors work for them, not us as patients. Their job is to prove that you are fine and not disabled. Seems a violation of their Hippocratic Oath. The Occupational "Experts", who know you only from your files, are there to fight on the premise that any min. wage job they come up with, you can do and do it full-time, simply because they said so.

When you mail in or fill out online your initial application for disability, with all of your medical records and results, what is the level of education for the individuals reviewing it? I know that they have the "Blue Book", Disability Evaluation Under Social Security Listing of Impairments - Adult Listings (Part A) to go from. They are forced to take a class here and there. But what is their backgrounds to expertly be judging this medically-worded paperwork? They are not doctors. Maybe an Associates Degree, Medical Coding maybe at the most? Then when your Disability Review comes up every 3-7 years, who are those "experts" to take away your SSDI? The short form is read by a computer, looking for certain boxes to be checked. But the long form, do those reading it know us better than our own doctors? Our own health professionals? Our own Psychiatrists?

So this goes back to my original point, at every step of the way, the entire process, we are set up to fail, to be denied. From the system that us living in America were forced to pay into, benefits we are supposed to be entitled to if we need them. Instead we end up with long bureaucratic red tape, uneducated or at least not educated enough SSA employees, longer and longer waits, years for a hearing, and everything else that this failed system has resulted in. As a last note, don't you dare work while waiting for your hearing, which will be 1.5-3 years out, even become homeless, not able to pay your bills, because if you work at all, even PT, that is all that they need to "prove" you are capable of gainful employment and they will deny you. The SSA system is set up for you to fail, even though you and I paid for it and have been forced to support it.

Original review: March 2, 2018

This is the 3rd time they have done this, taking money without proving I owed, first time they said they overpaid me with SSI. (I don't receive SSI I receive SSDI) 2 totally different programs, 2nd time they were collecting money that was paid for my son that my ex-wife collected after our divorce when she did not have him and I filed a fraud complaint, this is the kicker. Her and her husband make better than a 100k a year. I make around 10k from SS but she refused to pay so they took it away from me. When she repays it they will give it back to me.

And now again they say I owe them and yup bang took the money. Even though I filled out the grievance paperwork didn't matter. I have a mortgage, taxes, car payment, insurance. Yup $400. Will pay that. If I owe money fine but maybe like I asked take a monthly payment not just take it and say too bad, I have 3 children and a ill wife on top of it. I swear they want disabled vets to kill themselves so they don't need to pay them. They rude and mean on the phone. Selling drugs would be easier than and less stress because you go to jail for wrongdoing either way. SURE YOU CAN TRUST OUR GOVERNMENT. ASK THE INDIANS AND VETS.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2017

Firstly, I'd like to say that I am grateful that my son was approved the first time around. I have struggled for years to maintain a secure job due to his ADHD/mood disorder... Plus a couple of other physical disabilities. For a while, I was in denial about his condition, and I hated having to depend on a system that believes everybody are frauds, but I did it for my son. Now my issue now is that I found I was owed $42 which I had no clue about. First they sent me a letter saying I was overpaid during a month I know I did not have any income. They then sent a letter saying that I was owed $42. Then the letter stated that my bank got a payment I never received due to the fact that that SSI coded my son's bank account as a checking account. My bank told me they sent it back.

I can't understand how he's previously received a payment through his savings account a few days later. How is that possible? Then I called it and they claim they suspended his payments without giving me any knowledge in both letters that were sent. How can they do this without giving me any time to respond or without ever notifying me? Then they added income I never had... It seems as if they knew they owed him so they came up with a reason to say he owed them. This makes no type of sense.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2017

My disabled daughter has been fighting the Social Security System and its corrupt judges since 1985. She was denied benefits in 2007 when the attorney pleading her case knew nothing about the laws. She appealed the denial of her benefits to Federal Court in 2007. Since that time, that court of **, lazy, mooching off the taxpayers judges has done absolutely nothing to adjudicate her appeal. Skimming $175,000-$250,00 a year plus numerous other perks and benefits; the ** could care less about the well-being of injured Americans. It's a damn shame!

In reading the sad stories of the heinous ordeals experienced by those who have gone through this corrupt system and its corrupt judges, I have come to the conclusion that the average injured American citizen is being hung out to dry. This once great "Melting Pot" has now become the "** Pot" of the world wherein it's everybody for himself or herself; and the "Hell with those who are injured, sick and helpless." When I see what the corrupt judges, lawyers and politicians are doing to injured citizens people, I say I never wonder at their corruption and sleaziness, but I always wonder that they are not "ASHAMED." I truly believe the Lord has reserved a place in Hell for all of them; at least I pray that He has.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

So, because I was hurt on the job and repeated surgeries, I was awarded SSDI, $763 per month, about 1/3 of take home in 2010 before getting hurt. Now by law, I must pay for Medicare parts a, b, c & d... that will cost $627 per month. Because the law only allows a married couple to make 1200 per month, I now have to pay the difference between the 763 I receive and the 1200-or $437 per month. I must pay 20% of all medical, hospital and prescriptions out of pocket, plus there is a $1500 deductible that has to be paid before anything is covered. So, the deductible will cost an average of $125 per month, bringing WHAT I OWE EACH MONTH AFTER EVERY PENNY OF THE SSDI IS TAKEN TO $426... each month... $1189 per month for insurance and now this is NOT a tax deduction for me (poor, living below poverty level).

I am supposed to have a neck surgery in the next year or so... Some of you might be saying, "Oh but surely she's getting welfare..." Well, yup... the government along with the SSDI "gives" to me $15 per month in food stamps and $300 in firewood under the HEAP program. Those entitlements don't even come close to equaling one months insurance premium. So, all these entitlements the GOP are ** about the poor & middle class... DRIVES ME ** CRAZY. I was a good worker, a hard worker; a harder & better worker than most people sitting around with a silver spoon up their **. I'M ASKING YOU, ALL YOU GOP BACKERS, WHAT THE ** MORE DO YOU WANT FROM ME???

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

Social Security is a joke. I have a fib nerve damage in legs, and hands, feet spinal problems, herniated discs, Meniere's disease. I'm dizzy all the time, asthma, mini strokes, arthritis and spurs in shoulder, depression, anxiety, vertigo, sugar. Got denied 3 times but if I was a drinker or a druggie never worked. I would of got it but I don't know what to do. I married. 4 kids. Their people that never worked on it makes no sense. I worked same place 16 years. Another thing last Court meeting the judge told us to hurry up. He was running behind. I waited 2 years for 15 min then they lied on my papers. The judges are **!

Social Security Disability Company Information