3.0/5 (905 ratings)

About Social Security Disability

Social Security Disability Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Social Security Disability?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Social Security Disability?

Original review: Jan. 11, 2022

I was assigned a psychologist to evaluate me and the emotional distress caused by that interaction made me much worse. The only problem: I don't have access to mental care to help me recover. The psychologist was clearly not trauma-informed. They went through their questionnaire robotically and asked me triggering questions. When I was triggered, they didn't offer me a break: they asked me if I wanted to keep going or reschedule. I don't understand how their report didn't reflect that they triggered me.

The psychologist asked me if I drank alcohol or used other substances. I said no. They stopped and stared at me and asked again: "No alcohol?" They were in disbelief. Still stunned. If SSA administrator are listening: Please consider a post-evaluation that claimants can complete. How else would discrimination and negligence be addressed if there are no methods of accountability for biased and discriminatory behavior?

Original review: Oct. 26, 2021

This is, by far, the worst experience of my life. I was fully awarded disability however, even though I paid taxes, I didn’t pay in enough for SSDI. I am approved for SSI disability for a measly $140 a month. I have no idea how one is supposed to live off of their guidelines & they have zero desire to help anyone. In order to get more a month, I will need to be homeless. I am so angry. I am just under 50 years old and I have worked since I was 14 years old. I am so angry. I work part time and that hurts my payment. So, I’m going to quit. The stupidity is painful to see and I have second hand embarrassment for them. Absolutely ridiculous.

Get buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 8, 2021

The Social Security Administration is a broken system that was designed to help people but now go out of their way to not help anyone except themselves. They go out of their way to find reasons to deny you and are looking out for their own best interest. They drag their feet and their customer service representatives are very rude and aren't the least bit interested in helping you.

Original review: April 12, 2021

Thus far, the experience has sucked. It has changed me in some ways... no joke. The time that is lost to the process can never be regained. How about SSA recognize this right away?! So, first denial July 2018. Hired an attorney, yet ended up going through initial ** all over again. I realized there was some glitch between the first meeting with attorney and the paralegals' actions. It took some time to get it straight ...or sort of straight. ALJ trying hard to not seek TRUE onset date. Keeps me in a different grid. Yes, it was and is frustrating! So, anyway, I lost a bit of confidence as far as attorney, but was advised it was best just to stick with the practice. So I cannot believe how much time has passed. I check in frequently, as my desire is to find resolve. More time passes, claim is denied. Next, ALJ hearing requested. >A year before date given. Due to COVID the only option was a telephone hearing.

My opinion feels there is a benefit in some visual connection, at the very least (Zoom style.). I do ask if the telephone hearings = each receives a truly fair hearing? Anyone with me here? So I went in blind. No true prep occurred & the day of hearing was here. WTFlip?! My attorney was barely audible. The ALJ raced through some verbiage. I was lost. ADHD (the sure culprit w/ getting lost) depression, panic disorder, PTSD... I couldn’t believe that no deep, assistive questions were asked?! Not one word about medications, etc. My senses were on overload, so intuition was unreachable. And it’s all just happening super fast!?

The VE is on. I didn’t recall any discussion about the VE with my attorney?! I admit I was distracted by the thick regional diction (respectfully), so despite my attempts, I was not following. “What is going on here?!” I thought to myself. My attorney said nothing. No objections. And my college degree, prior profession proved to be worthless. The VE names three jobs, the stats (150,000 jobs exist across the USA). “Wait. What!? Tag sewing on clothing. Where? And is there some assistance with getting the job? ..Relocation expenses, etc.?” It was all foreign, and I swear, I still do own intellect. The aforementioned disabling conditions do interfere with much, so much so, I am here.. So 3 jobs were mentioned (between ALJ & VE) I am not able to follow. All foreign. And he asks me a random question (random as in - not relevant to the case!!?!)

Suddenly, his tone & cadence switch. His voice is louder. As he rattles off “the hypotheticals”...And yes, I was new to the whole thing, but I swear the questions posed some extreme percentages, etc. I have yet to bring myself to listen to the audio file. The thing was jarring!?! And then he asked if I had anything else. “Well...uhm, no ..?” I was scattered. I wanted to say “WHERE DO I START?!” (“Is my attorney going to say ANYTHING?!”) The decision took a good six to eight weeks, and unfavorable was his ruling. I began to read through the 15 page explanation, and became more aggravated with each paragraph. Intuition screaming “fully prejudice - he’s not a person who considers any mental health disorder “real.” He cherry picked all that served his chosen route. He went so far as to speak snark re: My female M.D. and added a few digs here and there that were over the top!!

I began scouring the internet for resources... “Find info regarding ALJ errors”. I typed many objections, and sent them to my attorney. Way too many, as I learned later “Two pages is about the extent of what they’ll read.” But I digress. I gotta say the process has taken it out of me?! It’s my issue: the allowing “it” to wreak chronic stress and aggravation. I see that it’s damaging on so many levels. Ya know? The disregard for subjective perspective. The chronic stress one might experience is not beneficial to body or mind. Chronic stress is harmful to every system of the body.. So I wonder how many folks have experienced true stress during their attempts?! I wonder how many were seriously needing help, and found nothing? Did they give up, YEARS of time given ...for? What is to be done about the ones who just couldn’t handle it?!

I do not discount any disease or disorder. I’m Simply coming from my perspective. My intention is not to sound like a “victim”. I have an issue with the denial that a [psychiatric] disease of the brain, is feigned. A big ** to all that (stigmas, etc.). What century is the system acting from? The premise of learning that “they don't believe you”. I.e., the fact that generally speaking, all the words and descriptions of struggles, difficulties each claimant has extended is barely weighted?!! How can this be?! There has to be some impact by way of being told, not in so many words, “you are a liar and you are weak.” Seeking earned assistance - for a true disease or group of diseases is not any easy feat! It's tough on the ego., at least sometimes.. I feel there are souls here fighting - trying to stand for what is right & necessary. None should be so easily discounted.

Empathy and compassion must be weaved in.. there is nothing weak about asking for help. There is NOTHING weak in extending a bit of compassion into the mix. Any person who feels powerful in denying an individual, is a true coward. Next stop for me (ugh). Appeal to Appeals Council. And the amount of time this step will swallow, I dunno. After that, I cannot imagine fighting any more.. I wish each of you ease and success! I really do.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2020

Hi everyone I have something worth sharing, I applied for SSI in late May of 2020, just got denied this morning 11/18/20, my doctor retired without ever sending in my records, so DDS sends me to 2 CE exams, mental and physical, the Psychologist PHD concluded that I couldn't get along with co-workers or supervisors, couldn't handle work related stress, had below average to average intellectual ability and impaired judgement, ok? The physical exam doctor wrote in his conclusion that I have limitations in walking, standing, sitting, and lifting 10LBS occasionally, he observed that I had an abnormal gait consistent with cervical radiculopathy and DDD of lower back, so wouldn't it be fair to say that I should at least get an RFC for sedentary work? I'm 53 yrs old GED in 1986 no transferable skills, well these jerks give me an RFC for medium work and totally ignored the mental report, so you bet your bottom dollar I'm appealing and ready to fight!

Original review: June 30, 2020

I applied for SSDI in 2018 and initially got denied. I applied again, got denied. Appealed and got denied again. This time hired a lawyer for the hearing thinking all would be fine but the lawyer didn't even say one word during the hearing. I have schizoaffective disorder, bipolar, major depressive, and severe social anxiety. According to the judge because I'm able to take care of my son and 'cook meals' I'm able to work. What am I supposed to do? Microwave all my meals? And because I'm able to 'shop in stores' I'm able to work. It literally says this in my documents.

The jobs the vocational expert listed I'm able to do are: hospital cleaner, laundry worker, folding machine operator(?), photocopy machine operator. Even though I am not able to be around anyone at all besides my own family because I have auditory hallucinations where I hear people talking about me. Anyways I'm taking my case to the Appeals court with the help of an advocate at my psychiatrist's office so fingers crossed I win this time around. I won't give up. Good luck to everyone.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2019

SSDI is not interested in your illness or your doctor's notes, progress notes or anything that anyone except the occupational therapist says. I went before my ALJ and was denied not because I'm not disabled, but because the OT found 1 job that he claimed I could do, cleaning houses (I spent 25 years as a manager at FedEx Express). So I called Merry Maids, the largest cleaning company in my area and was told "We call them cleaning ladies, not cleaning men"...when I pressed further it was explained that men want women to clean their houses and women dont want strange men in the home when they are alone.

I have been waiting 5 years, had my denial appealed and have another ALJ hearing on Jan. 10. The laws governing SSDI are either not enforced at all...are partially enforced based on the judge or are totally ignored, as in my case, by the judge. By the way, this judge who is deciding your future could just as easily be arbitrating a pension dispute so I wouldnt get too confident. If you are dying, you still may not be approved. My advice...try to work if you can. If not, I'm sorry There's nothing else to say.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2019

I have applied for disability numerous times but this year will be the first time that I've appealed. Now my case is being looked over by the "Appeal Council" because I did not agree with the appointed judge's denial decision. I remember being told by 2 state appointed psychiatrist/therapists (one that I had seen twice and he was surprised that I was still fighting for disability) that I should not only be on medication for my anxiety and depression but that I AM disabled and should receive disability. However, as I was told, mental disorders aren't taken seriously when it comes to SSA and I can't say I'm surprised. You can dress yourself? You're fine. You can leave the house and go to the store? You're fine. You can count to 10, spell backwards and know what year it is? You're fine.

To have state appointed psychiatrists say that there are people who DON'T receive disability, who should be on it and people who DO receive disability, who shouldn't be on it, tells you all you need to know. It's almost like they've stereotyped people with mental disorders as, uneducated, unstable slobs and that's simply not true. Just because someone LOOKS like they're keeping it all together, doesn't mean they don't go home and lock themselves in their bedroom to cry. It doesn't mean they don't go weeks without talking to people simply because it requires too much energy and it surely doesn't mean they're not disabled just because they can get up in the morning and put on a t-shirt. Those same people who look happy on the outside, have taken their own lives because they really weren't as happy as they looked.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

I applied for disability three times and appealed three times and was denied three times. Third time I applied I was told I was not considered to to be disabled. Unfortunately employers didn't agree. Thus I couldn't get a job and support myself and my two children. Something has to change and I don't know how-to change it.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2019

Updated on 6/8/2020: Still nothing. Not that it matters. I suffer, Doctors come and go. Nothing has changed. Saw their doctor. Got denied again. 2012-20 got new attorney. Same crap repeat. I know that there are people that have it worse than me. Still waiting on a cure lol. Doctors said I won't get better and no meds make anything tolerable. But got more problems due to meds. My biggest regret is playing by the rules.

Original review: In 2012 I started this processes. Not only the hell I have gone through everyday 8 years all the doctors, meds, PT 3 times and everything else. My conditions just gets worse. The waiting in between dragging on till I run out of credits. Just recently get I don't got enough credits. 98-12 I had 59 they went 09 to 19 stating I only had 16 needing 40. Everything I've going through and was cheated discriminated by attorneys and failed me. Life isn't fair but they take the cake. Didn't expect a lot of back pay or to be judged by looks that I'm not scum. I was given a diploma, went out, achieved with covered up learning disabilities doing manual labor. Now I'm physically and mentally destroy. I have to say my disabilities started in 2018 to get SSI to live if I get it. Thanks for making thing worse.

Social Security Disability Company Information