1.55/5

257 Social Security Disability Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 29, 2019

I get a message from SSI saying I need some paperwork regarding my application. I called back every day for two weeks and left messages with no return call! I finally get him on the phone and he tells me he never heard back from me and has tried to reach me and put my case on hold.. He is a liar! Then I asked if I could come in and settle the issue and give him the paperwork, and he says, "Oh you can’t see me" and gave me a fax number for the documents...any bets on him saying he never received the fax.

Original review: May 20, 2019

Where do I begin? My husband suffers from front temporal lobe epilepsy with brain damage. He fought eight years, after getting denied twice. He was promised $40,000 in backpay. Finally, last year, he won. They took four months to give him a MONTHLY check of $23. Then it was $150. Then his SSI hit and he started getting a decent amount of money. However, they LIED to him and ARE CONSTANTLY LYING TO HIM about when he is going to get his $17,000 SSDI backpay! First they told him it would be 60 days after his approval. THIS IS A LIE! Then, they told him it would be after his third payment. ALSO A ** LIE! Then they told him that it would be “No later than January 3rd.” ALSO A ** LIE! Then they gave him $2313 of his SSI backpay, in hopes of making him shut up. Then they told him his SSDI would be in “On May 11th, guaranteed.”

Right before May 11th gets here, we realize...Wait a minute, the 11th is a SATURDAY! So when the money was not in, obviously, we called on Monday. The very sweet lady said that it would be “No later than Thursday.” ALSO ANOTHER ** ** LIE! We called Thursday and they said they did not know why someone would tell us any dates because they were not going to give me my backpay AT ALL! THE PAYMENT CENTER MYSTERIOUSLY CANNOT BE CONTACTED FOR ANY REASON! SOMEBODY AT THAT PAYMENT CENTER HAS ** ME UP! I have contacted every government agency in the US to get through and NOTHING HELPS!

Get expert buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 6, 2019

I applied for disability in 2012. I had been unable to walk for about 5 years. I was falling down and bashing my head and body a lot. Their Dr’s could not find anything wrong with my legs so the judge at my hearing put in writing I was fat, lazy and a fraud. That was the end of July 2015. Two months later I had many strokes. One month later my first heart attack. They discovered a blood clot the size of my stomach was cutting off my blood flow to my legs and crushing my organs. S.S. still denying my claim. Another heart attack. 2 major surgeries still denied. Lost everything. Sold everything of value. After one year in the hospital I finally got approved. But lost all Back pay. And currently can’t afford to live anywhere in the county and owe huge amounts of money. I had zero doubts before I became ill.

Original review: May 4, 2019

I have a listed condition and I met the listing based on the SSDI guidelines. The SSA even wrote in both denial letters, "although your condition is serious..." but then they added, "we don't expect it to last 12 months" so that they could deny my claim. My attorney filed 2 requests for on the record decisions, submitting more medical records each time. He also included my approval letter from my LTD company, approving me as disabled in any occupation.

They still ignored my request for OTR. I have to do the hearing by video in a few months. They seem to have ignored my treating physician opinions entirely, yet I filed in Jan 2017, 2 months before they changed the regulation so they would no longer have to give the treating physician opinion the weight. I believe they continued to ignore my OTR request so that they could force me in front of a vocational expert. They are doing this to me, in spite of the fact that my doctor wrote a residual functional capacity form stating I needed breaks every 1 to 2 hours in an 8 hour day and could be out of work for months at a time with no warning.

What possible work will they fabricate that I am capable of doing under those conditions. In my 2 prior denial letters, they stated I could work as a bus monitor or a kosher meat inspector. I am college educated and have only ever done white collar work. I have moderate to severe cognitive impairments resulting from brain atrophy. After 11 knee surgeries, cervical disc replacements and lower back surgery, I tore the cartilage in both hips. I don't think I could be a bus monitor and only Ranbis can be kosher meat inspectors.

I am also over 55, worked most of my life aside from a 2 year period where I was awarded a fully favorable decision on my SSDI claim. My condition is permanent and likely to only worsen further, as I age. There is no cure. They could have just approved me at the listing level and freed up the ALJs. They are breaking their own policy guidelines in ignoring treating physician opinion on claims filed prior to Mar 2017, in their zest to deny claims.

Original review: May 3, 2019

I don't mean to be rude, but I almost have to laugh at some of these reviews with people complaining about waiting a few months, or even a year or two for their SSD. Even better is the one complaining about $42. Can anyone beat my ordeal? I filed for SSD in 2009- yes, you read that right - TEN years ago. In that time I have been denied by the lower levels, had an ALJ hearing which I was denied at, Appeals Council then denied my request for a remand, my case went all the way to federal court where it sat for years when the decision was FINALLY turned over by a federal court judge who then sent it back to Social Security. I was made to have ANOTHER hearing with the SAME ALJ who originally denied me and who seemed quite perturbed at that I was back.

His first words at the hearing was "why are here again?" Needless to say, he denied me again. Appealed at the Appeals Council for the second time and they overturned the judge's decision AGAIN and now I'm sitting here waiting for them to schedule me a new hearing yet again. I have had TWO consultative exams with Social Security's own doctors and both wrote extensive reports (over 10 pages long) and BOTH concluded their report with literally stating that I would not be able to sustain full time work. My lawyer said that is practically unheard of for SS doctors to do. They won't even listen to THEIR OWN DOCTORS! Not to mention my own doctors who wrote letters detailing my condition and also said that I would not be able to sustain work.

So basically, they think that their own doctors are incompetent and that my doctors are so unethical that they will just write whatever I ask them to because I pay them. In the last 10 years I have lost everything- my home, my good credit, my friends- literally everything. I have to depend on my sister for help with everything and even my parents who are in their 70s. This system is completely disgusting. I wish I were dead every day because of them. I have zero hope that my THIRD hearing will have any different result than the last two.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Social Security Disability?

Original review: May 2, 2019

I applied for SSDI in April of 2018 because I became ill, and started experiencing extreme pain, and couldn't return to work since September of 2016. Well, after applying it took several months before I got a decision. My case was even picked up by the auditing part of SSA to make sure the part of SSDI that makes the decisions were doing their jobs right. Well, when I got my letter saying I would be getting SSDI, they also said I didn't qualify to be disabled until August 9, 2018, which in fact, has screwed me out of my back pay. And I found that out today. So thank you government for hurting me again. You took so long to pay me you put me in deep debt, and without that back pay I have no way to pay my debtors off.

Original review: April 9, 2019

I filed a temporary claim with them when I was diagnosed and had both breasts removed from cancer. I was denied all through the process and was told to have a hearing. By the time I waited on the claims process I was already healed and although I still suffer from nerve damage was able to return to work full time. The social security disability benefit is a joke. I paid my own money into that for when I would need it and then have them tell me I can't have it. This whole administration needs an overhaul.

Original review: March 21, 2019

They are deliberately denying claims. Chief judge came out stated they are being urged to deny claims. They hire lawyers and give them title law judge. 7th District court which are real judges said they ignore medical evidence and play Dr. Majority of all claims are denied to tie up a fake court system. One Dr stated denials are a cash register. One had ** conviction other could practice. Chief medical officer for social security thought their tactics were unethical and let go. The denial lady told me there was no employment I could do but they put down there is so they can deny my claim. Complete sham. People are living in the woods.

If you apply you will lose your home, destroy your credit and maybe commit suicide. We have a benefits crisis in this country. They now want to watch you on social media but who watching them and the fraud they are committing on deliberate denials. It doesn't matter if you can do every job in America. If you miss 7 days in a year you'll be terminated. People rather do gainful employment they make 2/4 times more. Social security should start hiring these people. You want give illegals SSI but can't take care of your own people.

Original review: March 13, 2019

I went in with eyes open. You should assume if you file for SSDI it will take at almost 3 yrs to complete unless you have terminal diseases. It has been this way for years. If you have a high school degree and or college, it will be harder. If you are under 50, harder. If you are in your 20s and 30s, really hard. If you are claiming fibromyalgia, anxiety, chronic pain syndrome it will be harder, mild learning disability, harder. I had a CE exam. He was very nice and actually said I was in worse shape than my own doctor. The judge looks for consistency between all your medical records and follow up care and taking your medication and if your daily activities compares to medical conditions and CE exams If you haven't been seen by a dr in a yr, not good. Not taking meds, not good.

Be totally honest, don't exaggerate. When you fill out your daily activity forms, don't exaggerate. You don't have to be housebound doing nothing to be approved. I was diagnosed w/ fibromyalgia 18 yrs ago. I thought it was crap then and I told the CE dr I didn't think I had fibromyalgia and he agreed w/ me. Get a lawyer. If you are asked to get occupational testing don't exaggerate. Do your best. If you don't, they will see through it and that will not be good for your case. I was approved at my hearing so I didn't have to wait for a decision. It took less than 2 months to receive my award letter and money. If you are going to do this, get a LAWYER. You will more than likely be denied until you go to hearing. Just telling you what I learned during this process. 4 stars because it takes so long. Good Luck.

Original review: March 5, 2019

They lie...sit on their butt...while people who worked full time most of their life are losing their homes and taking their lives. Fix the problem and get these joke of examiners out! NC is a mess! Fix it now! I would rate them a zero if that was a choice!! 8 months...and still no facts... My doctors tell me they didn't even request medical records yet!! It's been 8 months! Damn joke. And NC representatives do absolutely nothing to improve the joke of a system!!!

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

In early January I learned there were fraudulent charges on my account. After being on hold for over an hour I was told I would receive paperwork to file a claim for these charges. Inexplicably, $100 of the charges was credited back to my account. Next I received a letter stating the remaining charges were given back as a "provisional credit." Yesterday, one of the fraudulent charges was deducted from my account as a "reversal debit." I tried calling several times and was hung up on due to heavy call volume.

Today, I finally talked to someone and all it did was piss me off further. The representative was extremely rude, refused to answer WHY the charge was deducted although the investigation is allegedly not over yet. He kept talking in circles. I asked to speak to a supervisor and got the same treatment. Direct Express literally has hundreds of complaints of this nature and yet neither Social Security nor CoAmerica make has done a damn thing. It is past time for a Class Action lawsuit to be filed against all three of them.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I have been unable to work since 2011 and SSDI refuses to approve me. I have a blood disease, a mild cognitive disorder, fibromyalgia, severe anxiety and major depression. And SSDI at the hearing level still would not approve me. They claim I am still able to work. The people making these decision need to become ill and have to go through the same system they make determinations to see how it feels. It is a shame that in this so called developed country the sick and poor have to suffer like this. All the years we work and pay for Social Security and when you need it you have to fight tooth and nail to get what you deserve.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

I wish I could give 5 negative stars! Maybe the government shutdown will scare them a bit! And I am not D. T. supporter! I filed online application for disability. Hadn't finished it, wanted to it to be completed perfectly. Local office wanted me to file SSI. I was confident I didn't want to go through that. I canceled appointment for SSI. Was told I could still apply for SSDI. About 2 days later I received a denial for SSDI. Called national number, they said it was my local SS office that requested I go in. I am bedridden, I needed to be accommodated.

Finally called back after receiving an informal decision on SSI, WTF! Saying cause "I told them I didn't want to apply" seriously. Has phone interview, hung up on by customer service Agent from local office cause I asked too many questions. I actually called the system out about SSI back payments coming in one lump sum if you no longer qualify for SSI. "HANGING UP NOW!" Is it because I'm a **! I hate saying this crap, because I'm not a racist trump supporter, but geez! ** WOMAN IN NEW ORLEANS HATE ** WOMAN! I SAID IT! I'm so sick of this crap! I had nothing to do with your issues! I'm poor as poor can be! Every time I hear a noise I go look for the tow truck! Frig is bear! Credits shot! Fired from my job! Asked for an accommodation. Got fired!

Went to EEOC. Was told I couldn't file a charge because of my last job in service doesn't allow. Basically doesn't allow disabled people to get accommodated! Now not able to work over a year! Filed a new claim. It got lost by a really nice lady who they probably told to ** with me. I had to file a new one, Then found! Dr never had any SS people contact them! Now I've been waiting since March just to file a real SS disability claim. First one was a joke second one as I'm in the middle of telling her about my disabilities she's telling me not to tell her what disks are effacing my CSC. Seriously! Wow! As I'm writing this I'm wondering they will know it's me. I don't know why I even write this. Should I press send. Well. I suppose! Racism makes me suck! Reverse racism is rampant at the local SS office! Why! There is sooo much more that went on but, mine is still processing and I'm really scared! It's who you know!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I receive SSI and SSA every couple of years. They send me threatening letters they will stop my payment. I have learning disability since I was a kid. I've been receiving payments. My dad was the payee since I was a little boy now as an adult I receive my own payments. Threatening letter say they have to review my claim. Have to go to a stupid psychiatrist to evaluate me which is a psychiatrist send by Social Security. Not even sure if he's even a real doctor. Had my benefits cut for very dumb reasons. A psychiatrist will see you in determining whether you are disabled not just by talking to you or giving you some school work for 2 to 5 minutes. Not even realizing you've been receiving disability for over 10 years. But they don't care.

And I call Social Security and he told me those claim appeals can happen any time at any month in any year. Hickory said that disability does not forever. How the ** are you going to say someone can't be disabled for the rest of their life. And they want everybody to be independent regardless of your disability even if you need help. For example you can get help with paying rent or food they will count that as a income even suspend or cancel your whole entire check. I'm 29 years old. I lived on my own pay my own rent paid my own food. I don't drive so I use Uber. They did not bother me for a whole entire year but as soon as I start living with my sister they start bothering me.

I live with my sister several times and they always bother me when I live with a family member but when I live alone they leave me alone... some people say people on SSI are living off the system which those people are totally incorrect. We receive SSI for a reason. We do not live off the system. As I stated previously I lived on my own. I had rent, electric bill, cable bill, credit card bill, phone bill. We have bills to pay. No one lives for free. At the end of the month I only would be left with $50 for food... but some of those Social Security employee don't care. They will still cut off your check for any reason. There's been homeless because of their check being cut but they don't care. They'll give you a stupid reason that you can't have no address.

Are you an idiot? The person is homeless and you are the cause of it by cutting their check. I don't believe the system is broken. The problem is the employees don't know what they're doing. They're not trained correctly or don't care the people are disabled and they will do anything to cut your check. People who work for Social Security mostly have a high school diploma or only one degree. The system could be a hundred times better if they trained employees how to do their job correctly. Not slack off or break the law... forgot to mention the way they calculate your income and things you pay for is so retarded. They clearly are making up math. As they go you have to sit there with them and show them all the proof of how much for rent in things you pay for... if not they will sit there and try to make up a number. How retarded. My rent was $395. They try to say I paid less than $150. Have to show them my lease and all the proof...

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I have been unable to work since 2008. I suffered a severe injury as a child and my symptoms kept progressing as I aged. I was able to work for a while but my symptoms got worse and worse to the point I could no longer do the duties of my job. I had surgery but it only made things worse to the point I couldn't move my arm for several months and I have severe constant nerve pain in my neck and dominant arm and constant muscle spasms. The doctors say the only thing else they can try besides pain management would be neck fusion surgery which my shoulder specialist said never to allow anyone to do. I have seen numerous doctors and have tried about everything multiple times, physical therapy 4 times, surgery, acupuncture, massage therapy, tens/men's, etc. I have over 200 pages of doctor documentation just related to this health problem.

I did not know about Social Security Disability insurance until recently (the only assistance I will if for) so I applied and submitted my 10 years and 200 pages of health records. I was denied saying the evidence supporting disability did not exist in my medical records which was a lie. I spoke to lawyers who had me outline the disability policy that pertained to my disability and was told it did qualify since it affected more or more major joints, gave them my records, and they helped me with an appeal. Unfortunately none of my doctors remembered me from years ago and would not respond to their questionnaires so the lawyer said they would not help with the appeal but to send it in on my own but expect to be denied because the current administration is automatically denying almost everyone under 50 according to a former judge they pay as a consultant. I appealed and was told the same thing, evidence does not exist for claimed disability.

I had MRI reports, x-rays, doctor notes, and all kinds of info that showed I have chronic pain and instability in my neck and dominant arm but they lie and say I have no evidence of disability. It is sad that they lie and don't understand that invisible disabilities are real and are a constant battle for those that live with them. I feel like the process is to discourage people from applying. This is just a glimpse into what applying was like. The whole thing took about 9 months and was very discouraging. They make you do a whole lot of work and put little to no work into reviewing your case, simply responding with a canned letter and a handful of words saying you are denied. It sure makes people applying feel like crap. I worked as long as I was physically able and paid into social security and then it's not there when I need it and to top it off they lie and belittle my disability in their denial letters. What a miserable bunch a people they have running this program.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

This system is a joke. They are denying people on a whim now. My case was open and shut going into the trial. My doctor had already reported me as fully disabled per the RFC. The ALJ denied me on the following grounds: regular church attendance, riding a motorized bike for transportation (only vehicle I could afford after waiting over 2 years for a trial); and having a pet cat that lives outside to catch the mice coming in my trailer. Yet, MILLIONS of people already on disability go to church regularly, ride bicycles up steep hills with no engine assistance, and take care of big, barking at cars and crapping in the yard - dogs. They just don't want to pay up after you've paid in because THEY CAN'T BALANCE THEIR OWN BUDGET.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

Worked all my life. The last 2 to 3 years in increasing pain. Had to eventually quit. SS denied, like they do everyone. My son had been approved previously because he was autistic. Because of income, he wasn't eligible for anything so I let it lapse. Reapplied when I applied for mine. While he was previously approved without question, now he's denied. Waited 2 1/2 years and the judges just shook their heads because they knew we should have been approved. I lost my home, credit, everything. Finally got my back pay and they didn't say a word about taxes, keeping it, anything. So now that I spent nearly all of mine just to keep HUD and additional help, I find out some of it's taxable and there are some limited ways to keep it.

But you have to pay more legal fees and accountants just to get through it. Why even bother with back pay at all since they know it won't help you, and in fact makes it worse? Social Security should be required to disclose this information to all recipients in a clear understandable manner, and not make the person find out later. They should also pay a penalty each and every time they deny cases they KNEW qualified. Because I'm over 50, their own regulations state I should have been approved. But only the government gets to ignore their own rules. Rules only apply to everyone else.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I have applied for Social Security a couple times and finally made it to a hearing in front of an administrative law judge to only be turned down again. A person who has lived in pain for 22 years from breaking their pelvis in half finally gets to the point they need to file and gets denied. It makes me wonder how our system has gotten so screwed up. I am filing for an appeal with the appeals council if I'm denied an appeal. I guess that it will have to go to civil action in U.S. federal district court.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

Why does Social Security threaten to stop your SSI checks every few years? You go through hell to get it, and then after they give it to you, they keep trying to stop your money, (what's with that?)... Are they just bored and like to harass people by threatening their livelihood?

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I have stage 4 congestive heart failure. Was diagnosed March 2015. Now I am 46. Days after my diagnosis I was terminated from my job of 6 years. I was able to collect unemployment for 14 weeks but left with no money no insurance thereafter. I did file a wrongful termination case with the EEOC and won of a year later but funds covered past months. Now 3 and a half years later I still am waiting because I can't afford medication. Now I have chronic pulmonary hypertension in end stages and far worst then my heart problems. As if I was not suffering enough. I am days away from being homeless. I have paid into of system since my very first paycheck and never given is choice to do otherwise. Yet when I need help I get nothing.

I have worked all my life only to find myself homeless in my last days?!? Never have I collected any assistance in all my life nothing not a dime. Yet here I am. I feel our system is so very flawed. I can't believe I am still waiting a disability approval. I checked again today and same message I am approved medically and my case is being work to see if I qualify. Same message 6 months.

I hired an attorney day one. That has not helped. I call the disability office every 2 weeks. I contacted my state representative. I hound my attorney's office. I have contacted anyone who would listen yet I have no help, no money and no way to afford a doctors visit even at a clinic nor medication. I have sold most of what I own for pennies just to be able to eat and keep my power on to maintain my breathing machine. More than 10,000 people died last year alone waiting on an approval from disability. How many more people need to suffer like this? It's hard enough dealing with a terminal illness.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I am still floored that Judge ** denied my SSDI claim over 6 months ago, first of all if you re reading this I assume you filed for SSDI and doing research. If there is three things I could pass on to you it would be 1. Most people on the internet say if it takes a long time after your hearing to hear about your judge ruled on you, you most likely won. That was not my case. It took almost 6 months to learn that the judge turned me down.

2. My lawyer, my cardiologist and my primary care doctor all said I would have no problem getting put on disability, now my lawyer said nothing is guaranteed but I was almost for sure going to win my case as she put it. You never know how the judge will rule but I had one of the strongest cases and should win no problem, so just because people that should know what they are talking about say something in your favor the only opinion is what the judge thinks. If the judge is having a bad day you will lose your case!

3. They always give you a chance to talk during your hearing towards the end of it. Take advantage of that. I feel like I didn't take full advantage of that time. It seemed everything was going my way in the hearing that I chose not to add anything that was most likely a mistake. And a 4th thing I was sent to a SSDI doctor and when I got there they said I didn't have an appointment so I had to call someone at SSDI to give me an appointment. Luckily I had the appointment letter with me so the doctor's people said they would try to work me in after about 2 hours. After my appointment time I was seen by the doctor for all of three minutes half of which the doctor complained about her pay she got from SSDI appointments.

In the the letter from the judge he talked on and on about how my 3 minute appointment. The doctor did not find cause for me to be put on SSDI. The judge never once in his final report mentioned my Cardiologist of over a year or my primary care doctor who I had seen at that point for over 10 years both wrote letters of support to get on SSDI. So long story short SSDI doctors are jokes. I'm a gulf war veteran and I feel completely abandoned and betrayed by my country and mostly by this Judge ** from Tampa.

One thing about being denied is that they do nothing for you afterwards, for me at least. I was so upset after my denial and there is no help with pointing you in the right direction. After going 3 years of appeals you just get a letter stating you have used up all appeals, no offers of job training to help me with finding a job with my disabilities, just a very cold final denial letter! This country has time and again borrowed money against social security and never paid it back.

Uses that money to give so called aid to counties that hate us, gives tons of aid to illegal immigrants, gives money to so many groups it can make your head spin but when me a gulf war veteran ask to get the money I paid into the system I get denied, when my primary care doctor and cardiologist took away my driver's license so I cannot do my job as a truck driver that I had done for 23 years before being disabled and they write letters of support for my claim and it has been proven that my disabilities are most likely from my time in the gulf war. The judge still denies me. There are no words of how betrayed I feel.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

My husband recently was approved for his disability. I had to go to the social security office two different times. Once for a meeting with a worker and once to drop off my pay stubs and bank statements. While there I ask both times (two different people) if when it’s time to apply for our sons if I need an appt. Both ladies told me that I just come in to apply. No appt. needed. I made sure to ask them both. I went to apply today and then was told no I cannot apply. I need an appointment. It’s not easy for me to get down to that office and the lady asked if I would like a phone interview or to come back in. Of course I picked a phone interview and I have to wait another month for that. I let them know the lady’s name that told me I did not need an appointment but they wouldn’t even listen to me. They did not care, worst experience of my life. She was so rude for no reason.

Original review: July 26, 2018

HIPAA violation with judges knowledge of error 3 times. Hubby had 3 strokes, neuropathy, diabetic, vision loss. Filed SSD 2015, denied claim due to wrong information on another person, different birth date, different social security number (HIPAA violation.) As soon as error was found. (denial letter) all proper documents turned into SSD office. Had 2 hearing in front of judge, July and Nov. 2017, they still had wrong person's information at both hearings! (HIPAA VIOLATION!) Even had legal aid courier Over 130 pages of correct documents. SSD STILL HAD NOT INCLUDED THESE INTO MY HUSBAND'S FILE!

Moved out of state, requested a transfer, denied twice then they approved transfer and set a new hearing date for April 2018. SSD canceled the April 4th 2018 hearing on April 3rd 2018 and they stated they would notify us of a new hearing date, after a month went by we called and found out SSD moved hearing to Missouri and we don't live anywhere near Missouri! Almost 3 years now and still getting the runaround!!! We need an attorney to help us win this case and end this run-around so we can go on with our lives!

Original review: March 16, 2018

Who the heck does the bookkeeping for SSI benefits? I swear those people cannot do math and the idiots don't even care that they send out two notices, with the same date stamp, in regards to my disabled son's SSI benefits. What the heck? I am my son's rep payee and my son lives with me so why isn't there a check and balance that saves the state money by not sending one copy for me and one copy for my son, yup that's 2 pieces of the exact same mail plus on the same date stamp another notice that states the opposite as the first. "We have overpaid by in the month of" "we will pay $$ in the month of" "your income increased" "your income decreased". My head is going to explode! If he wasn't getting SSI he would still qualify for his current medical benefits so why the heck don't we just stop the idiocy and move on??

What really got me one year we received a notice from their Western Program Service Center that they overpaid him $5874.00. When I looked into it and did the math, they were wrong, he was paid exactly what he received so when I brought that to their attention did I hear back from them? NO. They probably crawled back into their bureaucratic bubble and moved forward to mess with somebody else's head. I realize the Social Security Administration has a job to do and they have a lot of people they work with but for cripes' sake find someone or something that can do the math and get it right the first time rather than me getting multiple notifications of "we overpaid" "we underpaid" They don't know what the hell the right hand and the left hand are doing! And the folks in the offices? I feel sorry for them because they don't know what the other people are doing either.

Original review: March 13, 2018

My wife who has been disabled by Multiple Sclerosis has been denied after waiting 3 years. This dysfunctional system made her wait almost 2 years for a hearing and then another 6 months just for the decision. I obtained all of the records and notes that the DDS and ALJ used to determine she wasn't disabled. Talk about disgusting. The idiot DDS employee determined she wasn't eligible because she asked for steroids in the hospital when she was having an MS flare. Any person familiar with MS knows that steroids is the gold standard for treating symptoms. Instead of the DDS idiot consulting with a medical source she decided my wife wasn't disabled as she was drug seeking.

Next step is the reconsideration: This is where Social Security says they will have another DDS examiner review the previous examiners finding and see if they come to a different conclusion. This time the DDS examiner did consult a medical doctor. The only problem. This "doctor" is 84 years old and hasn't actually practiced medicine since the 70's. Denied again. Next step ALJ: My wife was forced to wait 17 months to see some biased old judge who made his mind up prior to even having the hearing. 6 months later he rendered a denial decision and only used the statement from the 84 year old doctor. He completely ignored my wife's treating neurologists statements, and records along with the 10 hospitalizations.

Now my wife can't walk, is basically bedridden and Social Security says she isn't disabled and can work. Folks the system is an absolute joke. The problem is no one petitions Congress to change anything. After all most people don't become disabled prior to retirement and likely could care less about the disability program Social Security has. The system is corrupt from the top to the bottom. At the top you have DDS examiners looking at applications. The problem is the DDS examiners have ZERO medical background. At the bottom you have ALJ's. Fake judges really who have as much medical knowledge as the DDS examiners who denied the case to begin with. Lots of times these "judges" have biases and render decisions based on their political beliefs and not the facts.

SSA posts statistics for these judges and the Republican ones grant approvals at the 20 percent range. Democrat judges grant approvals at the more normal 50-60 percent range. Luckily the Supreme Court is currently hearing arguments as to the constitutionality of these kangaroo court judges. They aren't appointed yet have lifetime appointments. Thank goodness I work and can support my wife. Otherwise she would be living under a bridge somewhere. This is totally an un-American way of treating people.

Original review: March 12, 2018

Well. I had NO lawyer, did all online. Physically visited SS office once! The only was I knew I was approved was logging onto my bank and finding 33K in checking!! Now, I applied 3/15/2017, approved approx. 3/7/2018 so, 1 year. No denials, no appeals. No calls for more information. I did go to 2 doctors they paid for. I did, however, have my own MD notes. I never thought they would be enough, but they were! Turns out, you CAN get approved on 1 try, and a lawyer? Heck no!! They do not make the wheels turn faster, might even gunk them up!!

Now, If I were to have been to an ALJ, I would have retained one. But, I also want to say DO NOT MALINGER AT YOUR CE'S!! The Drs and nurses and social workers KNOW when people lie and this is duly noted... Also manage your own Dr records, and submit these on your own, It is not hard!! Good luck, first try success story here, I am 56, an RN, and I did meet grid rules, I am sure. Educate yourself on what the SS Blue Book is, know the grid rules, look at message boards of law practices, study patient message boards, this is how I did this! Watch YouTube Videos, also.

Original review: March 12, 2018

I was awarded Social Security Disability benefits in the 2008. I am bipolar with anxiety problems. I've had many different medications. I take currently eight medications. Last year I decided to try and see if I could go back to work. I contacted Social Security about doing their work program. To make sure I was getting the correct information I called five different Social Security agents with the same questions. I did not want to in any way compromise my benefits or insurance. I started working part time and was sending in my paycheck copies as told to do. Even though I only worked 20 hours a week it was a struggle for me and there were many nights I would leave with a headache and eye twitching. I wanted so badly to be able to go back to work in hopes of full-time work and not have to live on benefits anymore.

Before doing the work program I was very nervous and afraid to even try it that I might get my benefits taken away or somehow compromise. I was assured by the Social Security people that would not happen as long as I sent in my paystubs and stayed within the dollar amount. At my part-time job I decided to give a full-time hours to see how I did in hopes I would handle things wonderfully. I did full-time for three weeks. Tried my best and realized I just could not handle full-time. I left that position and took off of any employment for a couple of months. Then I tried again with a part-time job that I've basically freaked out on and could not continue there. All this time I reported to them what I was doing if I had to stop that job and why I sent in all my paychecks and follow their strict rules by the book.

Last month I received no disability pay without any warning or information as of why. Then I'm sent a letter stating I'm not receiving disability anymore with no reason why and the week after that I receive A letter stating I have to pay over $500 into weeks to continue getting part A and B. My elderly father is going to have to pay for me to even have insurance to be able to get medication that keeps me somewhat functioning and suicidal thoughts at bay. Receiving these letters and being taken off disability just about sent me over the edge. I was seriously ready to throw in the towel per se. Now I can't get anybody to call me back and when I do get a hold of someone on their mainline nobody knows why I don't have benefits nor really wants to help me. These people don't care about you they don't care about how their actions will affect you.

It's a shame that people give it their best try to go back to work as not to get disability anymore and this is what happens. I will say to anyone and I hope a lot of people read this if you have even one thought of doing The trial work program, please do not do it. This just gives them any small reason to stop your benefits. I wish that I had found this site before I decided to do the trial work program because I wouldn't have never done it had I read this site.

So I'm saying basically I went on trial work program, did everything I was instructed to do and I still lost my benefits. Thankfully I am able to live with my elderly father or I would've been out homeless and on the street. I am currently doing an appeal to reinstate my benefits but I will be surprised if I get them back. Now I'm truly a burden to my family. No one at Social Security wants to help you and they're all rude. Our government should be truly ashamed of these things that are happening to people that are disabled mentally and or physically. We are fragile people we already feel like a burden to our family. We already worry and stress about our futures and what will happen to us. People do not sign up for their trial work. That's all I can say!!

Original review: March 8, 2018

I have been on disability for 15 years and recently turned 66. I have had a payee all that time and wanted to be my own payee now that I was on regular retirement. I thought it would be okay now that I am not on disability and the judge did not order a payee on my retirement social security. My doctor said as long as I continue to see him and have family support he seen no reason to let me try to take care of my own funds. So on Jan 12, 2018 I went into the social security office with my letter from the doctor and filled out the form SA-11. I asked the representative how long would it take to do everything and make a decision. She told me about 3 weeks that they would have to fax over a form to my doctor and let my sister know I am requesting to be my own payee.

Well folks here it is March 8, 2018 and nothing has been faxed or sent. I have called I do not know how many times and left a message for the rep to call me and tell me what is going on. I have called and talked to four different reps. I give them all the same information and all they say is they see my application and tell me they will email the rep and her supervisor to give me a call. Still nothing. I went in and sat for two hours. I seen another rep that day and she said wait another three weeks. She said they are probably behind because of the two government shutdowns?? Are you kidding me?

I gave it more time. Call Monday a rep answered. I gave her the same information. Here we go, "Yes it is here," she said but no decision has been made. I asked her why? She said she didn't know but she will transfer me over to the original caseworker supervisor. I said okay. Would you believe I left a message on her voice mail and explained how long I have been waiting. I asked her to please let me know what is going on. Why have I not received a courtesy call letting me know why they have taken no action on my representative own case? No callback. So I don't know what else to do to get an answer. If they are investigating my records fine but let me know something. Anything just something.

Original review: March 7, 2018

More than three years and counting since my initial application. I've had two hip surgeries (the second a total replacement) and two back surgeries since applying, and thyroid surgery scheduled for early April. I've had degenerative disk disease and hip arthritis for 20 years; and numerous herniated disks I've had complex PTSD since early childhood and grew up in and aged out of the foster care system. It took almost 2-1/2 years to get a hearing, and not enough time was scheduled, so the hearing was delayed another 4 months.

At the end of the hearing, the judge said that he found I was disabled but was not going to issue a decision that day. Three months later, I have yet to receive a decision. When I entered the hearing appeal stage, I was given a list of attorneys, and I hired one. I could not even have a short telephone conversation with him without scheduling an appointment. I asked myself why I should pay an attorney 25% of years of back-pay for what would amount to about 10 hours of work, so I fired him since I worked as a paralegal for over 20 years.

Most SSD employees are incredibly snotty, but I once reached one who told me one of the reasons this system is so clogged: Regardless of the claim validity, law requires a hearing if requested; and they have been inundated with claims for ADD/ADHD, mild conditions and other conditions that are not considered disabilities. In the meantime, it is holding up the process for those truly in need and making a nice payday for disability attorneys. In the meantime, I am at risk of losing my apartment because I have no safety net due to being orphaned before the age of 5. I contributed to SS for over 40 years, working as a "family" farm worker in a foster home and being employed ever since then. By the time I get anything, I may not even have a mailing address.

Original review: March 3, 2018

I was hospitalized with pulmonary embolisms to my lungs due to working conditions with Convergys a third party company that contracts with AT&T. The condition to sit with a wired headset lead to my illness. Needless to say I was unable to work for a long period of time and applied for disability in which I had to wait for 3 1/2 years before the judge settled my case. Once I won my appeal I was to be rewarded a closed amount of money that would close out my disability claim. Since August of 2017, these people have toyed with my life. I have gone from a 700+ beacon score down to I don't even check it anymore. They sent me a letter via mail stating on a particular date I would be getting a direct deposit into my own file banking account, and two days before the money was to be deposited I get this letter saying the payment had to be stopped.

I was devastated because of this a government facility and usually very points on when it comes down to funding. Well, I paid two of my credit cards ahead since this extra income was to be deposited into my banking account. I was unable to put a stop payment on the accounts I submitted payments for because the window of opportunity to do so was up. Because I am the only one paying my bills I had nowhere to turn. I have utilized all of my credit cards waiting for them to rectify the issue. They have lied and sent me a tax statement as if they had given that money to me. Then to top that off I keep getting my case is with the payment center (mind you they cannot be contacted) and every time I try to get answers I am told to call back in 30 days, and when 30 days come I have to call again. This has been a true nightmare, and my life have been turned, upside down. They have given me the true meaning of what deceit looks like.

Social Security Disability Company Information