Social Security Disability

Compare Disability Insurance Providers

Research top Disability Insurance Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I would like to understand how someone who has never seen someone have a seizure, or has never experienced a seizure can determine medical disability. This is a very broken system, that no one really cares about! I don't understand what one has to do in order to be approved, other than be dying! I mean it is almost like the "Dr.'s" who approve/deny people put about 6 claims on a wall throw a dart and 1 person is approved while everyone else is denied! I have a seizure disorder, more than 3 seizures a month. Brain damage which led me to have chronic migraines, personality disorder, mood disorder, major depression, and bipolar tendencies ALL DIAGNOSED and included in my claim!... I have NEVER held a job for more than 6 months, due to these conditions. I am 32, I live with my mother, I cannot legally drive, I take medication to treat all my issues, I have tried working and it is not successful...

I have applied for disability 7 times since I was 17 and each time I have been denied... This time I was sure I would get approved because they added my specific types of seizures to their disability list, I made sure to include the most graphic explanation of my migraines, my Dr. signed a letter stating he believes it is not medically advisable for me to obtain employment due to the fact that my seizures are random, I do not have typical warning signs and they are grand mal in nature. His letter stated that I could possibly be a liability to the company if I have a seizure on the job! STILL TODAY I get my little letter that says you are not medically disabled... Oh here is the big kicker. I already have medicaid due to being pregnant 4 years ago! I am just so upset and angry... I don't know what else I can do to get approved. Attorneys do not take SSI claims which is what I have because I have never held a job long enough to pay into SS.

I guess I am doomed to mooch off my mother for the rest of my life... I think I would be better dead... At least then my mother could claim my life insurance and my son would have a productive childhood without the burden of a mother who cannot obtain employment and is refused by her government to help her. I HATE the SSA. They are a scam and full of lies! Honestly I would love for one of these "doctors" to tell me the type of employment they think I can do... I would gladly go to work! I would honestly like to see the credentials of a TEXAS MEDICAL DOCTOR who determines if a person is disabled. I meet the qualifications according to the little "disability pamphlet" I was given... You have to prove you cannot work, I did that...

I cannot legally drive to and from a job, I do not have reliable transportation to get me to and from a job, I spend 4-7 days a week in bed due to migraines that cause VOMITING, I have at least 3 seizures a month which leave me debilitated for days afterwards due to the pain in my body, I have plenty of mental problems... I have proof I cannot work as I HAVE ALWAYS TRIED... never holding a job for more than 6 months... I have been subjected to discrimination in the workplace because of my disability (which I cannot call a disability because some moron sitting in a desk making 60k a year says I am not disabled), I have been fired or not hired at all because my employer or possible employer knows about my seizures and does not want to take on the liability!

SERIOUSLY how much more proof is required for a person to be "disabled according to the state of Texas"... It is horrible and makes people like me feel like they would be better off dead, at least then the guilt of being a mooch on one's family would go away! It is sick, and if the public were allowed to know more about the process it would change!

I have been disabled all my life and recently left an abusive mother who lied about rent costs and now even with bank statements and evidence. They want me to pay for my abuser's lie and kick me off ssi knowing I am epileptic and have ptsd as well as vertigo. They have not put my appeals in and lied then after investigation they did their job but now again threatening me to take me off ssi. I have been sick since I was a child. One person's lie is costing me my health and safety even after the abuse is over they side with the abuser. I was treated rudely every time I went into an office to explain. Sent numerous papers with unreachable deadlines and nothing helped just threats and cuts and if I lose insurance I can't go talk to a therapist for the abuse I endured.

I have been disabled for about 7 years. I did get paid once $35000.00 then told to get more medical evidence and reappeal so that is what I did. The new judge called me a liar and a con artist so I walked out telling her if I was a drug addict in the state of MA I would not even have to be in front of her. So I had her go in front of an appeals council. She was terminated and I won my case.

It has now been 3 years and 59 days and I have yet to see a dime. Now really if I was to put a needle in my arm in this lovely state I would have it all. Tell me please how that works. I am not sorry but if you choose to make that your lifestyle we as a working society should not have to pay for it. I would kill to be able to go back to work. I hate sitting home everyday but due to my migraines I can't. I just do see how this is for my lawyer who will only see $6000. After all his hard work has not gotten anywhere. I wish we had a phone # to call to find out what is going on with SSI. LOL, like that will ever happen.

My husband was diagnosed of colon cancer stage 3a last June, 2015 and had a multiple surgery, chemotherapy as well it's been almost one year and half but we still keep on waiting. They denied us twice already and last December they found out that the cancer of my husband is back and still waiting for the disability. I don't have work because I need to care of him and our daughter and now he's under chemo and radiation therapy at the same time.

What is the social security been waiting to approve my husband disability? We don't have money to spend for our everyday life. They waiting for my husband to die first before they make an action. That's unfair. Me and husband keep on working before he got that cancer. They don't have a heart to understand our situation. I hope someone will help us and try to investigate why the social security take a long time to process the disability benefits because we both exhausted mentally and emotionally of what happened to us now.

I have been getting SSI for years and I had gotten a lump sum settlement for two bad hernia mesh and did the spend down. Sent in my receipts and when I did my renewal for my SSI they had lost my receipts and the copy of my settlement check! So I went to the bank, got all my bank statements to show my spend down, turned that in just like they asked then said that I need to send receipts in that they lost in July and said I can't get my SSI till I have receipts which are all on my bank statement! That is what I have to live on! They think I have all this money in the bank. I don't!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Social Security Disability?

Was diagnosed with learning and mental issues when I was born. My parents and I were denied for whatever reasons... so flash forward to 2016. I've been diagnosed with a handful of mental issues since 2012 and have had nerve damage in my right hand since 2010 (I can't use my right hand very well and now I have issues with my left hand). I have a hard time handling things, lifting, etc. and I have a very hard time working with people and dealing with them. I've lost 3 of my jobs due to altercations with my bosses. I've been denied before now went to court and it was stated in court there is no jobs I can work in the USA due to my mental issues. The judge refused to take any of the evidence into consideration so I was denied. My lawyer appealed it and the courts found the judge was in the right... of course.

I reapplied October 2016. I gave SS about 50 papers backing up my claims many from social services stating I'm unable to work (to their standards). Multiple doctors in the last 6 years. Been arrested and unable to remember what had happened. Been to multiple therapy sessions for anger and such. Been medicated on many anti depression and anxiety and never pain meds (if I take any it states I should drive or operate or do basically anything since they make me very drowsy). Denied again today Jan 3rd 2017... stating the same crap... this time they said that they couldn't obtain other reports (even though I gave them all the medical documents personally about 50+ pages). The letter basically said I'm lying and there's nothing to back up my claims. No place will hire me due to my hand issue since it's a visible thing. But none will put it in writing.

I know and have met people who were drug addicts, drunks, sad sometimes and they got full disability... I feel if I was an illegal immigrant or had a different skin color I'd get that in a heartbeat. This country and state are so messed up that hardworking Americans get messed with when they need the help. So to anyone applying all I can say is lie your ass off to those morons. They want to give benefits to the ones who make the numbers in the media look good. Or change your nationality...

Hate to sound like a ** but I've personally sat there in the office in Syracuse and listened to city folks tell each other what to say, how to say it, and saying "What does it matter they gotta give us money or we'll scream discrimination." The whole system is a joke. It's not in place to help out those who actually need it. It's there to help out people who are more likely to vote a certain way.

In July 2016 I was set up as payee for my disabled son at SSI. As I left they told me first payment for August would be sent by check to me. Weeks went by, I called them about 100 times, not exaggerating either. Each person got told me something different when they opened file up. Said it was mailed, another said it was direct deposited into my personal bank account, others said it was just sent... should have any day. This went on for a month with me calling everyday at my lunch break at Poughkeepsie, NY office and the Baltimore office after work till 7 p.m.

Finally one of them put a trace on it and found it was sitting in Direct Express account which I never even received a card to withdraw funds. In lieu of all this they sent me a back check of funds due to my son for $98 which was a totally different 5 named person. Mine is 2 names only. I returned that check and they said that person was not even in their computer. Where did this made up name come from then? There is definitely some fraud going on there at the SSI office behind the scenes.

Then to deal with Direct Express to try and get a card mailed from them here a month later while funds have been sitting there is as a whole other story dealing with them and getting them to even mail a card. They would tell me SSI has authorize it and SSI would say that they have nothing to do with Direct Express, and it's out of their hands once leaving the SSI office. Biggest stress I ever had to deal with with any establishment, total nightmare and exhausting while caring for a disabled family member.

At SSI you wait on hold forever and when someone finally picks up, they hang up on you. 8 out of 10 times this is the case. They lie, each one tells you different info from your file. They just lie to get you off the phone so you can call back and hopefully get someone else there to deal with so they don't have to do their job. I am customer service all day with my job and with less important dealings, and my boss would never stand for so many errors, and hanging up on people, and being rude. The majority of them should be screened and fired.

I feel so bad for an actual, disabled person like a veteran or such having to deal with them. Pretty sure SSI knows they will eventually give up because the stress is so high with their ignorance and that's what SSI hopes for, people to give up and go away. That is definitely the impression I got, and I am of sound mind doing this as a payee for my son, and I almost lost it. They are horrible and someone needs to screen these calls and see what goes on. Direct Express the same, but this main complaint is directed at SSI as I already put my complaint for Direct Express.

Overall I think Social Security is failing people who truly need help. Although I know our Government has a lot of pull in how much is provided to the people who is on Social Security But I also Believe that social Security should stand up more than what they do and fight back. It's not right that certain people In America is suffering from a Disorder preventing them from being able to get out there and work like the rest without any Disorders, preventing them from being able to do their Job. But yet so many people complain about having to give a little back to people who truly need help and can't do the work they wish they could do. If they put themselves in the same people's shoes for a day then they would understand if they aren't too ignorant of course or filled with greed that some people truly do need the help.

When it comes down to it they get it back in the end. Also everyone is paying taxes in America. It's not just the working class. There are people have stacks of money in the bank but still act like it's going to kill them to give back a little when they aren't even spending it or using. They are able to work and continue collecting the same time sticking their nose up being filled with greed. Also not to mention this year's raise for the first time in a long time people on Social Security gets a raise for only two dollars. While rent and utilities are outrageous. Becoming more outrageous each year. That's not right.

My mother is on Social Security. She is unable to work mentally and physically. She struggles all the time paying her bills and keeping her rent paid because Social Security is not giving enough to cover. There are times she has froze in the winter because she can't afford the prices of gas so she uses electric heaters which then raises her Electric sky high. Not to mention her landlord is a slum landlord filled with greed that barely does any work on her home still after living in her home 20 some years and struggled to pay for repairs that the landlord would not have done herself. My mother recently signed up for HUD housing. For anyone who knows how HUD works it takes a long time sometimes for HUD too.

So in the meantime my mother is struggling still to this day while her landlord is raising her rent believe it or not because that is just greedy this woman is. She claims she is a Christian but yet so vile. She lives in a huge beautiful home. She wears gold and has a Vehicle that talks back to her and goes on vacations for months without a care in the world. She makes most her living ripping off her residents. America is becoming Greedy. It's shameful and it's absolutely disgusting with all of this greed. Social Security should step up more and do something more. It's nice what they are doing in this time frame but it's not enough and people struggling hard core month after month. It's time for some positive changes because if not America isn't even worth staying in.

I have a friend who was declared 80% disabled 20 years ago from brain surgery that left him impaired. In August of 2014 he was wrecked in my truck by a bigger truck that broke his neck and gave him four more brain injuries. While six months in rehab, they gave him the wrong pain med which swelled his brain and required burr holes to be drilled in his skull and shunts put in to relieve the pressure - another brain injury. So what does SS do? This year they REDUCED his disability by $100/mo. On top of that, he got a letter saying that the "great" state of Texas would no longer pay his Part B of Medicare, with NO explanation as to WHY. I have written the Governor's Committee more than once but have not received the courtesy or respect of a reply. This man can barely fend for himself and has no family. I am on a small fixed income also but am trying to help him as much as I can. Why is he being treated this way?

I was run down by a car as pedestrian car ran light left me at my own mercy no camera in lights, 4 below zero, broken fracture face, right knee injury surgery repair, lost my city job of a lifetime, only allow FMLA 1 year city policy. After using my sick and vacation time couldn't afford to pay COBRA insurance, only able to repair fracture - nose, cheek, right knee with job insurance. Having a special child, no insurance, had to go to public assistance, unable to have both shoulder surgery from injury, lost 145 pounds, unable to eat, only straw. Public assistance put me through process 45 to 90 days, appointments and physical, their doctor send their social worker to apply for disability. Had surgery April facial fractures. In August knee surgery was denied after she cancel my state physical with disability doctors, lying broken no income, not even able to attend physical therapy bd of education forgot to place my autistic son in school that year...

The analyst denied me few days after my knee surgery, and knew that I needed to have both shoulders repair. To this day lost function of my arms, no doctor would put me back within the year time frame. My hospital was private. No more job. Private insurance they stop seeing me. Didn't accept public insurance by the time received it... unfortunately lost my job. Orthopedic surgeon want me to finish physical therapy, city policy didn't extend 16 day request. Fall risk hx of spinal surgeries, fibromyalgia, and hip injury. Had to hire attorney for appeal. Waited 27 month, pay 6000 fee, and public assistance back... already public assistance cut me off, SSD hasn't provide me with award letter awaiting 60 to 90 day process.

Meantime have no medical doctor anymore. Now I have Medicare she doesn't accept no pain meds, no doctors, have to start all over... yet when I lost job insurance had to endure withdrawal, no medical care 7 month... Public assistance cut off, meantime I don't have money, nor any information on what I am receiving, being charged 121 dollars Medicare 2 years back... didn't have a refrigerator weeks, 2 children, debts, and for eviction since the accident. How can I find a way to drag myself every day to find a doctor, have no strength, carfare, and have to deal with the process. They deny you so you can go to assistance get nothing back... yet can't get answers, waiting for award letter, receiving next month, yet meantime have no care. Looking for a new doctor, public assistance says that am receiving something that SSD never told me with discontinued letter.

Didn't even receive public assistance today, yet the cut off after the first. Very sick, can't even push my walker to go anywhere. Loss function of hands from shoulder injuries neuropathy. They have people playing with your life. Denied me in my condition. Didn't let the SSD doctors determine that she cancel my appointment. Sent me letter. Lying on recliner. No income yet nothing debts, daughter college due loans, loans, medical bills. Now I lost teeth and paid for dental out of pocket. Meantime people making decisions, conditions deteriorated waiting 27 month for hearing. Don't have strength, metro card to carry myself to find help. Already have no public assistance before cut off date. At my own mercy and God...

Canton, Ohio FO has applied the "holding out clause" to imply that there was an overpay on my SSI. They are using a VOID relationship to my first biological cousin and considering him my legal spouse for SSI. Under Social Security Federal Regulations Subpart R-Relationships 20 CFR 416.1806 and SI 00501.150 Determining Whether a Marital Relationship Exist D. When two individuals are no longer considered married for SSI purposes: they will find, that they are NOT to use the holding out clause in my situation, as in both states, where we resided (Ohio and Mississippi) our relationship was VOID in all aspects from the beginning, because of being so closely related.

After bringing this up (State Laws and SSA Rules) to Canton, Ohio FO Supervisor, he claims the holding out clause was applied, because we had a child together (their stories and excuses contently changing, to excuse/cover their errors) & using my daughter, for the excuse of using the "holding out clause" (and not fallowing Laws/SSA rules) would fall under Discrimination of Parental Status under SSA Policy as well. Also: FO disallowed an appeal, by saying it was non appealable! Because of the errors of Local FO here in Canton ,Ohio. They are implying, that I OWE THEM an overpay, so they applied my Social Security retroactive payment due ME toward this "overpay" and REFUSES to fix any and all errors made by them (thus causing a HUGE financial burden to myself and minor children/likely will lose our home with no place to go).

I have provided proof of errors, Laws and Rules as evidence to local FO, yet their excuses continue and errors are never corrected (as well as reviews I turn in to FO does NOT seem to have been submitted, according to the 1-888-772-1213 number). I have are rare geneticdisease and likely will never see the money actually owed to me in my lifetime sadly... nor will my children! This FO needs an audit BADLY as the misuse of power is obvious and abundant.

Reading these reviews is heartbreaking and soul crushing! Mainly because I now realize that what I'm going through appears to be standard operating procedures for SSA. I was in a car accident a couple years ago. The guy who rear-ended my car was under-insured. I lost my job of 12 years, my second job of almost 5 years, it took me two more years to complete my degree. This accident just messed with my life on so many levels. Last February I decided to apply for SSDI. My application was denied for reasons that contradicted my medical records. So I filed for Reconsideration. I sent in (thankfully with a USPS tracker) ~45 more pages of medical records, specifically pinpointing why the original denial was incorrect. I even sent back a copy of my work history form and underlined each task that my medical records show I cannot perform anymore.

About a month later I received a letter from SSA. In it, they claimed a rep had spoken with me over the phone about two weeks prior (no such call ever took place). The letter claimed my reconsideration arrived too late, and that I agreed it arrived too late but said it was a mailing issue! Never, ever did this conversation take place. I went straight down to my local office with a copy of the USPS mail receipt. The rep went into a back office and came out several minutes later. She said they gave me an exception and my records were sent over for reconsideration.

Fast forward two months later: I open a letter today AGAIN denying me for the same reasons as before! I was blown away! The records I submitted clearly demonstrated that this was not a valid reason for denial. Then I looked closer. They only considered records my chiropractor sent in a few weeks ago. No mention of the 45 pages of records from my PCP, MRI's, Neurologist, etc... that I packaged up and sent to them myself along with my reconsideration application 3 months ago!

I got a letter the other day from a law firm telling me my mortgage has been accelerated by my lender. What are my options now? To sit back and wait on some future hearing date while my home is foreclosed on and I end up in a shelter? I don't have family members who can take me in. This is an absolute nightmare! I worked so hard to buy my home and all because some under-insured jerk couldn't keep his eyes on the road I'm going to lose my home! I've lost my job, my lifestyle, everything I'd worked so hard to build! I paid into SSDI to protect me from something like this, but they're literally expediting my descent into my own personal hell right now! Now I see all these complaints on this page. I feel like it's utterly hopeless!

Well in a last ditch effort I emailed my rep in Congress. I explained what happened and asked if his office would call over to SSA to ask them why they did not consider the medical reports I submitted. If I go in myself, they'll just tell me I have to wait for a hearing date to bring this issue up. But if a Congressman's office calls over, maybe they'll admit they screwed up and go back and review everything I submitted.

I am 22-years-old and have PTSD and severe anxiety and depression from years of sexual abuse to the point that most of the time I do not leave the house. I applied for disability while still living in Oregon around April of this year but lost a place to live and had to move back in with my family, so my case was moved back to Texas around June. I have gone through tests with a therapist and a psychiatrist and have a formal medical diagnosis (in writing) that I do have PTSD. I sent in all of the paperwork I needed, including my diagnosis, but in August I received a letter saying they had set me up with an appointment to meet with someone in September because I was "lacking information" towards my disability.

I met with Dr. Stephen ** earlier this month and I can say with certainty that if you are ever told you have an appointment with this man, do not go. Call disability services and ask to meet with someone else. He was belligerent and passive-aggressive throughout the entirety of the appointment. He would ask horribly personal questions about my abuse and constantly be fact-checking over things that did not matter (such as whether I was with my grandparents or parents at the time; things as simple as that he would berate me about). It was as if, simply because I was going in for a psychological disability and not a physical one, he had already assumed right off the bat that I had to be lying as if it's not possible for someone to be mentally disabled.

He also seemed to write off my symptoms immediately once I said I wasn't currently going to therapy because I couldn't afford it, and the fact that I had gone to a therapist in San Angelo instead of Abilene (San Angelo is 20 minutes away); he said "Why are you going all the way over there when you can get pills for that here?" and "So you're not getting treatment for all these symptoms you supposedly have?" As if despite me having no money because I don't have a job and not being able to go to therapy AND because I don't WANT to take medication (it's a lengthy process and doesn't always help, I just want counseling/therapy if at all possible for treatment), I don't have PTSD at all.

At one point he started asking "have you ever wanted to kill yourself" and asking me to go into detail how often I thought about this and what the reasons behind it were, after just asking about my abuse in detail (which is not something I wanted to talk about; no one with trauma WANTS to talk about this to a stranger). I was already having flashbacks from going into it and talking about in detail that I have suicidal depression cause me to have a panic attack there in the room with him. I couldn't focus and tears were streaming down my face. He immediately transitioned into asking me very simple math, logic and history questions at this point, such as: "Who is the president right now?" "What is 100 minus 7?" etc. and though I was panicking and crying I was able to answer most of them; anyone could have, though I couldn't focus enough to answer questions about what particular euphemisms/phrases meant.

As soon as he finished (there were about 10 or so questions like this), he said "okay that's all we need from you" and sent me away. I was treated with cruelty and hostility for the entirety of the appointment as if he was trying to goad me into breaking down. Two weeks later I get denied disability as I am not "defined as disabled by the state." Apparently because I can answer a few simple math and logic questions after being goaded into a panic attack, I am fit to work. Because having a panic attack is a totally acceptable thing in a workplace environment, apparently, and doing average work is as plainly simple as figuring out what 7 subtracted from 100 is.

I am going to try to appeal but it just seems like Texas disability determination and services is horrible in general by my own personal experience of cruelty with Stephen ** and by all the numerous reviews on this website (the bulk of which are from people in Texas), I don't think anything positive is going to come from it, and I honestly don't think I have the energy to keep going at it like this on my own. Most people get lawyers to help them with this sort of thing but I Have No Money in the first place, how am I supposed to afford that? This whole system is horrible.

This is a very sore subject with me because in 2013 that happened to me. There is nothing that you can do because in urban Social Security Cases it takes over a year to just hear your case. I was a student at Kaplan Career Institute in Detroit - I was finishing up an externship to finish the course. Near my last day I happened to run into a person whom used to work for a company named Northwestern Tech. I had been fired from just a year before! This person runs to or call the Social Security Administration office and tells them that I was working and furthermore he saw me get paid and left twenty-five pounds. For that reason alone I was denied. It has taken my five -years' just to get to this point again. I truly feel very strongly that if some person outright lies and you get a negative report. Then those people involved should not only be fined but the person whom is damaged should get every cent of his back pay. Even with having a Parkinson's disease.

I was T-boned on my motorcycle by a F-150 in 2007. I was dead then I was not supposed to have a left leg. I did keep my leg and I'm alive... I've had problems with my legs since then not to mention many other problems. It's 2016 I have spent most of it in the hospital because now my right knee is blowing up I can barely walk... 4 lawyers 2 social workers and no one can understand why they keep turning me down. Now they have played me so long they told me I do not qualify for SSD because of no work. Screwing me out of any back pay at all or work credits to help me get a better amount per month.

I have lost everything, have not seen my kids in years, and I'm homeless. I'm writing this from the ER right now. I was also told I'm HIV and having difficulty with that too. FL see me as disabled and put me on Medicaid as of 4/2016. But SSI SSD have turned me down yet again telling me that I'm not that serious. So I'm dying and I can't walk and I'm pretty much living in the hospital but I'm not that serious. Even the lawyers have said they don't understand... said they have had people with way less and yet they keep turning me down for SSI and now telling me I do not qualify for SSD. This is a very messed up system.

My son has been deemed disabled since 2010. He finally received SSD benefits since 2014. Since then we have not received back payment and every month SSD states I'm making money. I'm not. I called SSD April 2, 2016 where I gave them income change. I was told that I would receive a call from my local within 7/10 days. A month later nothing. I took all my paper work to the Norristown local office, where I was treated as a criminal from Ms. Casey. She told me the paperwork I brought was not good enough. The same paperwork the 800 number told me I needed. I could have smacked the crap out her. After Casey insist that I make more than I do I had to get up and leave before I went to jail. Now July I received payment of 566. Now August I get a letter stating that because I'm receiving a special one time payment from someone that I get no benefits.

Who the hell am I getting money from. I get 1178 a month that is it. I also have to pay back 3000 dollars for overpayment. They have been trying to tell me that I make over 4000 a month. Whose social security number are they using? Not mine. I don't have food to feed my kids. I make 1178 a month and my rent is 1200. I am behind on rent. Shut off notices, and to complete that my disable child has no health insurance. I can't even pay for his medication. Why is not social security being looked into for fraud towards Americans. Why are they getting away with it. On top of me writing a speak letter to social security they did not comply with the laws and provide me a hearing. I am returning there again tomorrow to the office to find out where they are coming up with this money that I don't get. Then I guess I will have to get another lawyer.

I applied for disability benefits in Aug 2015 after being diagnosed with Stage 2 Lung cancer and having half my left lung removed 8/10. I was denied and I requested a review. Denied again as they did not feel my condition was "terminal" and I asked that they please share the cure for cancer then I appealed that second denial which was to the Adjudication Law Judge for hearing and at this point hired an attorney in Jan 2016.

Then in less than 5 weeks by March 10 2016 I was completely blind in my left eye due to rare eye cancer tumor detaching my retina and it took my vision in left eye. The left eye was also diagnosed with glaucoma on 4/19/16. I called SSA OAH that was handling my case and the lady advised me I should file Dire Needs letter and to have my attys do that for me. SUPPOSEDLY this will get your case looked at and could make determination without a hearing. I found a template for DIRE NEEDS letter online. Did it myself and my attys sent to SSA in APRIL 29 2016 and as of JULY 22 2016 nothing has been done.

I am totally broke. I live with my 79 yr old mother in a small one bedroom apt and I am 56 years old. I worked most of my adult life and put money into system. I have earned the credits or points to be eligible for disability but when I need the system to be there for me they are not. The SSA literally is hoping I die of cancer before they have to pay out one dime of what I deserve and desperately need. I also underwent 20 radiation treatments on my left eye trying to remove tumor and hopes I might get some sight back to no avail.

I am having issues still with area of my ribs/chest where chest tube was inserted ALMOST A YEAR AGO and RADIATION shrank the tumor ever so slightly in left eye but prognosis is highly unlikely I will ever regain my SIGHT in left eye. And the 6/21 appt with glaucoma doctor says my right eye has gotten somewhat weaker since APRIL 19th report.

I'm at my ropes end I have FILED a CONGRESSIONAL INQUIRY with my congressman who said they were supposed to get a "response" from SSA by 7/18 or that I could receive a response. Well I got a letter from a totally different SSA Office (not Office of Appeals and Hearings) in Denton Tx wanting me to verify statements I made with them during a phone conversation they think they had with me while I was having an upper left lobectomy on 8/10/15. Was in ICU for 24 hours after and in PCU till released on 8/14/15 and there is no way in hell they spoke to me while I was undergoing major surgery. This was alarming to me... Getting this letter however my lackadaisical attorneys shrugged it off and just suggested I ignore the LTR.

I am going to follow up Monday 7/25 with my Congressman and use the fact that it's election year to light a fire under someone. This is ridiculous. And why is there no outside 3rd party to handle complaints against SSA? Do you really think they are policing themselves?? And that's what they want us to think yet look how inefficient and poorly operated this gov't agency is. It's as bad as the recent light shown on Veterans Administration and all the horrible inefficiencies and mishandling and mistakes made within VA and I am certain it's much more rabid and widespread within SOCIAL SECURITY ADMINISTRATION.

So CONGRESSMEN... SENATORS... REPRESENTATIVES. WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO TO FIX SSA? Because it's broken and NEEDS to be fixed so it will be more cost effective as an agency of gov't and to have some kind of efficiency rating other than negatives. That's costing we the people even more money because of its total lack of effectiveness and efficacy.

I got married to an able body person in 2013. At that time I was considered a disabled adult child. When we officially got married they took that away. Then put me on SSI, however now that my wife works and I don't because I can't find a job. The amount given from SSI isn't enough. You're only allowed to make $2,400 before taxes are taken out. I would like to see if we can make the threshold a bit bigger so that two people can live a little more comfortably. I don't think it's fair for other people in the same situation to have to live this. If I were to marry someone that had disability my status as a disabled adult child would not have changed.

July 3, 2016 - I was to receive my usual monthly disability payment for my daughter but I have not received anything this month. There were no prior notices, no phone calls, not even stating why they were going to discontinue payments, who, what, where, when, how or why. It just stopped out of the blue. Based upon the above comments I have read, I am not in any means going to complain about not receiving a monthly payment. I still receive disability. I am just lost for words why they did not send a letter, no phone calls or anything to this nature. Just one month you got it and the next month it's gone. I also plead the Blood of Jesus over each and every last person's case and situation regarding this subject and matter. Amen.

June 4, 2016 I received an "ineligible" for SSD because Chris ** claimed I never applied. However, she was wrong. I filled out the complete application for the claim and sent it back to her. In addition, she failed to call me on the interview day at the scheduled time. I called this office they told me they would call back at 3PM. They never called. Then, they set me up another interview not until June 20. However, in the meantime I received the form with 6 pages, I filled out every question. It took me 2 1/2 hours to fill out this claim. I sent it in the same day it arrived in my mail. Result: I receive mail today that stated Chris ** claimed I never sent the claim in so I was "ineligible"!

How could this be when I filled out every form sent to me? I was available for that interview call and not one ever even called me? I sent that claim form in for SSD and Chris ** claimed I never sent it in? What is going on in this office? They never call you and they lose your claim forms? I am beyond furious and am calling an attorney!

SSDI is an insurance benefit paid to workers who have earned this benefit due to their work as a U.S. citizen should they become disabled. The Social Security System is more than broken. If this were a business, it would have busted. I continue to be baffled at the abject incompetence, wastefulness, total lack of effective communication, inconsistencies, and hatefulness of SSA employees. Does SSA specifically look to hire hateful, vindictive people who can't tie their own shoelaces, or what? The amount of redundant paperwork, each stamped with a notice of the "Paperwork Reduction Act" is a sick joke.

I seriously wonder if there has been a top-down directive to wear the disabled down so they give up, and forfeit what is rightfully theirs rather than fighting the system year after year. I also wonder if there is money being funneled from beneficiaries to the accounts of employees or higher ups who relentlessly harass those receiving disability payments in order to get their benefits stopped?

I am being retaliated against only because I called and visited the SSA office looking for backpay that was due to me. The agents and supervisors have reworked my case each time I complained and twice stopped my payments and twice cut my payments by $377.00. Each time I call I am mocked, demeaned and spoken to in an unprofessional manner. I have been hung up on and told that I would be contacted back by a supervisor but was not. Now they have stopped my benefits again. I thought it was my right to question agents about policies and procedures, but this made me a target for the SSA. They are bullies and need to be stopped!

I've been on SSDI since 2002. I've been reviewed in Nov. of 2015. March 7th, 2016, I get a letter from SSA stating that I'm no longer disabled. They stated that in 2002, I was approved because of Affective Disorders. That now I still have affective disorders, but now suffer from COPD (stage C), diabetes, obesity, sleep apnea, nerve damage due to diabetes. However they claim that they have evidence that I'm no longer disabled... They never told me or the Congresswoman for my area what evidence they have. I thought they were supposed to tell us through the "Freedom of Information Act"?

I got the letter on March 7th, I filed an appeal and had it stamped on March 9th, within the 10 period so I can still receive my benefits during the appeal process. The SSA office somehow lost my paperwork and acted surprised that I had copies that were stamped by their workers. They mysteriously found my paperwork 30 days later! Still too late, I don't know if I'll get my next month's check so I can pay rent, electric, etc. My landlord will start eviction on the 4th if rent is not paid!

I've been on SSDI for many mental issues and for many years. I was under the impression that a trial to work period (TWP) was any job I wanted to try. SSDI told me that because I was given a job by a family friend that has me answering phones and washing literally three windows three days a week. I tried the 8 hour day, couldn't do it, so they allowed me to change my hours to better suit my needs. So basically I am working way under the $810.00 SGA for 2016 but why is SSDI still on my butt? I have sent them every time card since I started. Why does SSDI do this to people?

Back pay is really late. I have tried my local SSA office many times.the management lady said that she was in touch with a contact at another office and that my back pay was still in process. My disappointing complaints are that it has taken too long. September 3rd of 2014 was my holey fully favorable Dec. It is April 20th of 2016. I'm going to lose my home vehicle and possibly my life. Among me being a type 2 diabetic. I have too many health issues to put in this post. Please help me. God I'm at the end. So awful.

I have been a recipient of SSD for nearly 20 years due to disability in the category of "unlikely to improve." I have had 3 reviews in the past and been approved on all past reviews. My medical diagnoses have been agreed upon by 3 different doctors. I was up for review again (4th time) in February of 2012. I went to the review meeting. The examiner was extremely unprofessional, over 30 minutes late to my review, talking on her cell phone to other people, shuffling through paperwork not related to me or my case, and answering the door to other people who were extremely annoyed at her tardiness. She directly told me that she believed I was never disabled and there was no evidence in my case files to support a disability. Did SSD make a mistake for 20 years?

A few weeks later I received a cessation notice in the mail stating I was "better" and could work. The explanation for cessation was withheld from my cessation notification (that was referenced as an attachment). In past reviews, I've been given proper paperwork, now that I am cut off, I've received nothing. I received no appeal form, no return envelope, no cessation explanation, and no legal rights brochure. I had to verbally call and demand an explanation. I waited for the postal mail for the cessation explanation form. The form was very vague and just said there was never any evidence to support being on disability but they have evidence that I've improved yet no reason was stated. I had to find the form to appeal as they didn't provide me one, and by all appearances they made it difficult for me to appeal on purpose.

They then claimed I didn't respond within the 10-day deadline yet acknowledged in their response letter that they received "incomplete information" and included two additional forms I never received the first time. I was also given a template form SSA-795 to fill outdated 2002. The most current copy is from 2015. I'm being asked to fill out forms that are out-of-date by 13 years. I am astounded at the level of unprofessionalism, lack of transparency, and lack of information to file an appeal.

I have attempted to talk to attorneys regarding my case. I have contacted my State Senator to invoke a Congressional Review as I do believe they are purposely giving me the runaround to deny me benefits. I am expected to replace my income in less than 60 days and am facing bankruptcy as a result if I cannot pay my bills. I do not qualify for vocational rehabilitation in my local county as the only programs that are available are for people who've been laid off and qualify for unemployment, neither of which I qualify for.

I think that it is a shame that asked by the Social Security disability office that if you are unable to understand or speak English that they will get an interpreter for you. This is why the Social Security is almost broke because they're paying people that don't even deserve or have paid into Social Security.

UPDATED ON 04/17/2016: I filed in 2009. I was denied. I appealed it only to keep being denied. Now I have another diagnosis of post-traumatic stress disorder and hip pain, back pain, bulging disc from an accident I had that did not require surgery but now has sciatica nerve damage no surgery can fix. I had worked all nine years for credit up to 2009 but was denied when I reapplied now. I've been told I didn't qualify for my disability benefits, that I paid into. I don't understand with a diagnosis from my doctors why they will not grant me my social security disability or my SSI. Go figure. I have not worked since 2009. Did they not think that if I was able to that I would have? It's my money and I need it now...

I do not understand why 80% of Americans who have paid in to SSDI their whole working life HAVE to pay a lawyer to get the government to do their job. Then you have to wait 8 months to 1.5 years to get the money. If I did that to the IRS, a bank, or credit card I would have to pay a penalty and interest. It is funny how the government is so hung up about amnesty for ILLEGAL immigrants, but don't care about LEGAL citizens. I have nothing against America. I LOVE MY COUNTRY, but I feel like the government cares about the rest of the world and not their own. I would love to see everyone that oversee SSDI have all assets frozen, live on nothing without help from friends, or family for 1.5 years then maybe SSDI will be streamlined.

My disability is a fraction of what I made in wages. I was attacked and severely injured. This complicated a rare hereditary disorder. I have asked for help with anything to survive, and not one federal or local agency will help me. I am not a bum looking for a handout. I have worked and paid taxes all my working life. However, rent is more than my benefit in Portland. I have followed all of your rules. I have called the lists of referrals. They are either non-existent or the phone number is discontinued.

I always end up being told to call a DV shelter. I don't agree with shelters as any kind of solution for a person who was severely traumatized and has Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. I used to do volunteer work for a shelter and it was uninhabitable. I was a teacher and counselor, so I was given the children of the drugged out non-citizen women to tutor. I did the "right things" in life. I deserve a home. I paid taxes - a lot of taxes!

Now, I have a cervical rib stuck in the artery to my heart, and cannot get health insurance. I was told by a disability advocate that I would have health insurance because of my rare disability. Oregon took it away after a year. I was beaten up by an apartment staff manager and he broke my left cervical rib again. He kicked my medical assist dog until he died. I will die also without medical care and someone to manipulate this extra rib off of my artery. The right cervical rib caused blood clots in my leg and a pulmonary embolism. I had a subclavian aneurysm when the left cervical rib hit the artery to my heart. No one cared. My civil and human rights have been taken away, and I have been left to die. Born and raised in the USA!

In 1997 my oldest daughter died of cancer and I have the same cancer but did not die. It was a unbelievable time for me and my family. I was under the doctor's care for cancer and mental problems. I had talked with social security many times even though they have no record of the telephone calls. After my daughter died and I received cancer treatments I later got better. I called social security regarding trying to go back to work. They said I had a trial period to return to work and I was still under the doctor's care. l went back to work and told ss who after I returned the checks sends them back to me. I was suffering from many problems and thought the checks were due me since I was not aware of the legal issues.

Now, after many years at the age of 69 my ss check is being held for a overpayment. Also I have a bad criminal record and employer who run a background check see I was convicted of a felony. I have no income and cannot get a job. Ss has denied and appeals for me and will not accept a payment plan. In court I was given a public defender who wanted me to agree to a plea agreement and I was never given a chance to present my side of the story. This is the end of my life.

Social Security Disability Company Profile