1.59/5
Based on 194 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

Social Security Disability

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Aug. 29, 2017

218 Social Security Disability Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

I have applied 3 times. Since 2008 they keep denying me. I have multiple disabilities. Degenerative disc disease in lower back, COPD, Atrial Fibrillation, arthritis in both knees, severe depression, anxiety attacks. I walk with a cane most of the time. I don't sleep because of the pain. But they deny me because I worked my whole life and they will have to pay me the max. I know people with less problems than I have and got it the first time because they never paid into it and received the minimum. So you tell me that's not discrimination. I will be homeless soon because I had to spend my 401K to survive and it's gone.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2017

Hi I'm David. I am 43yrs old. I have worked as a laborer for 24yrs at the same job. I was injured by the negligence of another employee. I injured my lower back. After doctor review was told I had the back of a 70 yr old. That it has been worked to death. I'm currently on anxiety, depression, pain, and ADD medication. I got a lawyer and was advised to sign up for total social security disability benefits. Lawyer told me no problem. Well I waited over 2 1/2 yrs for court and the day came I was in a room with a judge from Kansas on a big screen TV. Basically I was denied. Judge also wanted to know why I hadn't been to the hospital or doctor besides my psychiatrist. I told him I was told there was no surgery or anything else could be done to improve my back. Plus told him I have a $5000 deductible insurance and my wife was only income for our family which includes 2 of my 3 children still at home.

Well he gave me idea jobs I could still do which I never heard of or can find and if they are out there then their not in my state of WV so I was denied. I was shocked. Knowing of others that were awarded disability benefits and didn't deserve them. They could do any normal daily tasks. Lawyer told me because of economy it is now almost impossible to get benefits. Within the time I got my denial letter I received a letter from my lawyer he no longer wanted to represent me. So now 1 yr later nobody will hire me with my limitations and medications I'm on. I have daily panic attacks and severe depression. My wife has the only family income. We have grown apart. She has but almost completely distance herself from me and I don't blame her. She barely makes over the eligibility amount for any government help. Car ready to die. She waited old clothes has no spending money. She is miserable and I am to blame.

My youngest daughter is the one that is hurt most of all. Started jr you know how cruel kids can be so I won't go into details. I'm still applying for jobs daily but never hear back. I have no support from my parents because of their financial problems. Sometimes I don't want to live anymore so my wife can get on with her life and find someone to support her. I love her with all my heart. We have been married 24yrs and lived good. Wasn't near wealthy but both incomes we lived fine vacations out to eat shopping and more. Now go nowhere. We don't talk or even sleep in same bed. She sleeps with my daughter. I know she wants to end our marriage but know I have nowhere to go so that is why I have the thoughts I so I won't be a burden any longer. I have run out of hope for the future. I just keep thinking that judge had my life in his hands and he decided to end my life and future.

I believed in the system. I have never been in trouble not even a speeding ticket. I worked 5 to 6 days a week at a good job. Then my life and future came to a stand still in one day. The first time being injured right after being denied a person I know who has worked maybe 6 yrs of her life drug user very over weight and lazy that received food stamps and other help was granted her disability benefits and came to me and apologized because I was more deserving of benefits than her. Everyone I know were in shock I was denied but what sticks with me is what my lawyer said was "You're too honest." But wouldn't explain why and also said yes if it was 6yrs ago you would have been a sure in. When I hired a lawyer it first was one of the other lawyers of the firm and when my trial day came I met with the lawyer the day before to go over everything.

It was a lawyer I never met before. He was skimming through my papers and said I would have liked to have had this and this and said "Well I will try my best in the trial." He barely spoke 5 words like I was by myself. I even had a panic attack in the court room. I could barely sit in the chair because one of my problems is I can't sit or stand longer than 20 minutes or so. Still today there is no change. My back is as good as it will ever be. I tried going back to my old job on light duty was there part time for 3 weeks then let go. Terms were I wasn't capable of working due to the effects of medication. I was heart broke 24 yrs of excellent service and now thrown away like trash. After I thought about it I was just a charity case. A small business can't pay someone to work and not able to work. I ran that place before getting hurt and the guy who was the reason for my injury was now in my old position.

It hurt me so bad that I had thoughts of hurting him and thoughts of he did what he did to injure me on purpose. He was always very jealous of me but it couldn't be proved. Beat it all he was part of the decision to let me go. So I need help can anyone give me advice or employment. I'm at my wit's end. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. If as take the time to read I hope someone can give me the answer before I lose my family. I'm worth helping. Nothing I have written hasn't been exaggerated. I'm a honest guy that believes in good miracles and karma reach me at my Gmail **. Thank you. God bless.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: July 26, 2017

My son was awarded benefits by judge June 19, 2017. Was given Joanne ** as case worker!! Did my perc interview. She immediately started to tell lies about my paperwork and all buying her time. Had to get congress involved. That's what made it worse. She hasn't been doing her job correctly and lies to her superiors about things. Of course she has been there 20 something years but where is the respect of people. My son didn't ask to have a disability and her job is to get the ball rolling not stop it. She is just an evil woman. She purposely screwed up my son's payments and wouldn't even release his backpay so he could get a tutor. School starts in Columbus Ga on August 7th and she telling me to pay for a tutor with Medicaid.

And to make matters worse his backpay is for 21,000 and change but she won't release it until she pays all 6 of his attorneys but my paperwork shows his backpay is 15,000. So the attorneys are already paid smh. Another lie. Then to end this she told me monday she has already paid 4 attorneys and she's paying them day by day. 2 more to go. God sits up high and looks down low Joanne??? Columbus Ga social security office.

Original review: July 14, 2017

My daughter has been on disability for 16 years. She has been up for review several times and was deemed unable to work. So now, this last review, she went through the medical and mental review process. When I took her to the mental review, the fact that she needed an interpreter because she is mostly deaf fell on deaf ears! I was not allowed in, and, strangely, she returned to the waiting room within five minutes. What sort of evaluation was she given? The medical was fine, that doctor went through her records and questioned us, both of us, extensively, waiting patiently while I explained what he was saying and asking to my daughter. Why wasn't she given the same courtesy for the mental review? Her denial letter was based solely on that five minute review with a verbatim list from the paperwork I filled out about her complaints for ONE DAY.

None of the problems she really was dealing with which is why she was deemed disabled: PTSD, ADHD, organic mental disorder, antisocial behavior, and schizophrenia and other psychotic disorders. "The evidence shows that you are no longer disabled. Your health has improved and you are able to work starting in 05/17." Based on a five-minute interview that she probably couldn't hear.

Original review: June 30, 2017

My name is Kenneth **. I called +1-800-772-1213. I waited for almost an hour on the phone just a few minutes ago and when the A man answered the phone he was extremely rude. You could just hear the nasty attitude in his voice. I told him I didn't need his attitude that is not why I called and he made a smart remark back to me so I hung up. This is totally outrageous to be treating people like that when we have to call them to ask for their help. I worked all my life to pay my social security in and when I need help I expect to have somebody that I can help being mentally and physically disabled that will help me make decisions when I need to call Social Security. Totally outrageous. Thank you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Social Security Disability?

Original review: June 30, 2017

In 2007 after I was diagnosed with MS and unable to see due to Optic Neuritis, I filed a claim for SSDI while still in the hospital. At the time, I had about 30 non-active brain lesions, 3 non active lesions in my T-Spine, and 1 active lesion in my C-Spine. I was also experiencing significant cognitive impairment. Six years later, after I was already back to work for 2 years, my case made it in front of an ALJ who found in my favor for a closed period. Because my case was transferred from 1 state to another, when I moved to accept work, I was mailed my case file on a CD. I was able to read all of the hideous comments made by the examiners on my claim.

Many of the comments implying that I was somehow faking my symptoms and I was the scum of the earth. I live alone and have no family. If I hadn't been a pretty high earner in my past, I would not have financially survived the 6 years I had to wait. The weird thing is, I had plenty of current medical records and was attending frequent doctors appointments yet they continued to ignore my medical records and sent me to multiple CEs. The DDS also ignored and discredited their own CE reports because they found in favor of my disability. I was sent on 4-5 CEs in total.

Six years later I am have filed again and I am in worse shape than I was when I filed the first time. Here was the denial letter I got in the mail, 6 months after filing a claim. The only condition I listed when I filed, was MS but apparently they dig through records and pick and choose whatever they want. Not sure why they would do that.

"You say that you are disabled because of multiple sclerosis, spinal cord lesions, atrophy of the brain and spinal cord, damage to the optic nerve of your eye, migraines and memory issues. Although your condition is currently severe, it is expected to improve. We have determined that your condition is not expected to remain severe enough for 12 months in a row to keep you from working."

Optic nerve damage, brain and spinal cord atrophy persist and do not reverse themselves. In light of that fact, how can anyone with half a brain cell state that my condition is expected to improve and not last 12 months... it has already lasted at least 10 years and they already have the documentation that proves that. Wretched system, humiliating, degrading, demoralizing to have to go through this process being treated like a criminal, simply for being sick.

Original review: June 29, 2017

I was calling to check the status of my claim. He basically told me if I call 3 or 4 more times they will be blowing smoke up my butt. I told him I was in 60 day mark. He said my lawyer was just paid and if he send a message it will be another 45 to 60 days and would slow down my process of getting paid and in the social security world nothing never on time and the number everybody was giving me was wrong. Just disrespectful.

Original review: June 23, 2017

I have had MPD, Depression, Anxiety, PTSD, and chronic back pain most of my life. In 2011 I had my first back surgery, and in 2015 I had another surgery for the same reason in the same spot on my back for a revision surgery. I was accepted for SSI and Social Security back in 2013, and things were gradually getting better for me. Lo and behold, though, I randomly get selected for a case review with no warning, no explanation, no nothing in 2016. I just lost my job (again) from SA, and told my worker this. She made note of this, and then I had to see a quack psychiatrist by the name of Arthur ** for my review. He spoke to me for a whopping 10 - 15 minutes, interrupting me when I told him about my medical history, told me to stop talking multiple times, and only asked questions about my mother, father, and siblings. Yeah like THAT is going to be useful at all. He rudely told me to leave his office after I got frustrated with him.

The whole time I spoke with him I was shaking so badly, I couldn't even look at him in the face for more than a few seconds due to my anxiety wracking my body with tremors. A few months later (after they already shut me off) I get his review in the mail. The liar stated that I told him that I don't have any disability, claimed that I was faking my back pain saying I was "taking small steps and trying to look as impaired as possible", he even went as far to say in his review that I told him I was using cannabis. I NEVER smoke that crap due to my childhood trauma and PTSD. He also claimed that I had been working for about a year at Salvation Army, and I have proof that I had only worked there for about 5 months. He claimed he did a thorough review, and that he didn't think I was disabled.

On this ONE lying ** claim, without calling my therapist, doctor, or psychiatrist, without calling my last job about how I lost that job (I had tremors that rendered me unconscious and I had to be wheeled out on a stretcher to go to the hospital. After that, I had no energy, or was conscious long enough to stay working. Due to my health, they had to let me go). No, they didn't look into ANY of the information that I submitted. They just listened to this lying **. They then stated that I owed them money because of overpayment of money while I was working. I still don't see how they could have overpaid me when I submitted EVERY pay stub I received to my worker as soon as I got it. They deducted money from my checks accordingly, and yet they claim that I still owe them money.

Are you saying that I shouldn't work at all? I was only making 8$ an hour for crying out loud! I had to get a lawyer for an appeal and a hearing in front of the ALJ, and hopefully all this will be fixed. But because of one lying psychiatrist, I have no money, no home, and no health insurance. Great for someone with 2 back surgeries under her belt. This country is a joke.

Original review: June 1, 2017

I have a daughter with ASD who collects disability and has a part time job. I needed to give them copies of her savings bonds which she has no access to plus a letter from her dad stating that he has them and she has no access to. I did this a few years ago. All of a sudden, recently, they don't have a record of this and I have to make copies again. Plus needed her check stubs from last year. Copied ALL of this information. Brought it and handed it in myself. Got a call a month later about another issue. I inquired about what I brought in. The lady said they received the copies I brought in. She just needed 1 more piece of information, which I faxed and she confirmed that she got that also.

Now this is a month later. I got a call that they didn't receive any copies of the bonds. I told her when I brought the bond and check copies in. She said to bring the bond copies in in a couple of days or her benefits will stop. I can't understand how in the heck they lose important documents for the people and don't even blame you for not sending it. This is not the first time it happened. Whether I mail or bring anything in they lose it. Why can just save info as you bring or send it in? We do have computers nowadays. These offices are so careless and disorganized. I'm totally disgusted.

Original review: May 26, 2017

I receive Social Security Disability. My SSD deposit dates into my bank account fall on the 3rd Wednesday of every month. The issue is that because of the way Social Security does the deposits each month they OFTEN FALL 5 WEEKS OUT FROM THE DATE OF RECEIVING THE LAST CHECK. We are supposed to receive our Disability checks ONCE A MONTH, which is every 30 days or 31 days depending on how many days in the month... But the way the deposits are set up almost every other month the deposit date is 5 WEEKS FROM THE LAST DEPOSIT. How can Social Security get away with this is my question?

I have 3 children and no other income as I obviously am disabled and cannot work. I solely rely on my SSD to pay my rent, bills, car payment etc... yet I am consistently behind on ALL my bills and racking up late fees/late charges EACH AND EVERY MONTH due to the fact that I often have to go 5 WEEKS BETWEEN DEPOSITS. This is simply WRONG. The bills come EVERY MONTH, 30 DAYS IN A MONTH but I cannot pay them on time as I have to constantly go 5 weeks between deposits. I have creditors calling constantly, I have hundreds upon hundreds of dollars racked up in late fees, I get utility shut off notices every month which I then have to try to explain my SSD is 5 weeks out and I will be in to try to pay it and the late fee the next week. It's constantly causing me stress, anxiety, and going that long between deposits is NOT RIGHT. Why Is this being allowed???

Honestly how would the SSD employees like to go 5 WEEKS out between pay checks? Would that be allowed? To only have to pay them ONCE EVERY 5 WEEKS??? Why is it OK to do this to disability recipients? When most of us have no other income. That is a long time to have to go between checks. Something needs to be done to fix this so we can receive our deposits each month as we are supposed to... why haven't they figured out a new system to remedy this situation? Because they have to pay less each year out in disability benefits due to making the deposits 5 weeks out instead of 4. They end up not having to pay a full 12 months of SSD benefits.

This is so damn wrong and I'm really sick and tired of having to go without money and late fees piling up because I can't pay my bills on time each month because I don't get my deposit each month... I have to go longer and wait 5 weeks. I hope enough people complain that they are FORCED to fix this situation as it's extremely wrong and shouldn't have been implemented this way in the first damn place as we are clearly having to go longer than a month to get our deposits. This shouldn't be legal.

Original review: March 15, 2017

I would like to understand how someone who has never seen someone have a seizure, or has never experienced a seizure can determine medical disability. This is a very broken system, that no one really cares about! I don't understand what one has to do in order to be approved, other than be dying! I mean it is almost like the "Dr.'s" who approve/deny people put about 6 claims on a wall throw a dart and 1 person is approved while everyone else is denied! I have a seizure disorder, more than 3 seizures a month. Brain damage which led me to have chronic migraines, personality disorder, mood disorder, major depression, and bipolar tendencies ALL DIAGNOSED and included in my claim!... I have NEVER held a job for more than 6 months, due to these conditions. I am 32, I live with my mother, I cannot legally drive, I take medication to treat all my issues, I have tried working and it is not successful...

I have applied for disability 7 times since I was 17 and each time I have been denied... This time I was sure I would get approved because they added my specific types of seizures to their disability list, I made sure to include the most graphic explanation of my migraines, my Dr. signed a letter stating he believes it is not medically advisable for me to obtain employment due to the fact that my seizures are random, I do not have typical warning signs and they are grand mal in nature. His letter stated that I could possibly be a liability to the company if I have a seizure on the job! STILL TODAY I get my little letter that says you are not medically disabled... Oh here is the big kicker. I already have medicaid due to being pregnant 4 years ago! I am just so upset and angry... I don't know what else I can do to get approved. Attorneys do not take SSI claims which is what I have because I have never held a job long enough to pay into SS.

I guess I am doomed to mooch off my mother for the rest of my life... I think I would be better dead... At least then my mother could claim my life insurance and my son would have a productive childhood without the burden of a mother who cannot obtain employment and is refused by her government to help her. I HATE the SSA. They are a scam and full of lies! Honestly I would love for one of these "doctors" to tell me the type of employment they think I can do... I would gladly go to work! I would honestly like to see the credentials of a TEXAS MEDICAL DOCTOR who determines if a person is disabled. I meet the qualifications according to the little "disability pamphlet" I was given... You have to prove you cannot work, I did that...

I cannot legally drive to and from a job, I do not have reliable transportation to get me to and from a job, I spend 4-7 days a week in bed due to migraines that cause VOMITING, I have at least 3 seizures a month which leave me debilitated for days afterwards due to the pain in my body, I have plenty of mental problems... I have proof I cannot work as I HAVE ALWAYS TRIED... never holding a job for more than 6 months... I have been subjected to discrimination in the workplace because of my disability (which I cannot call a disability because some moron sitting in a desk making 60k a year says I am not disabled), I have been fired or not hired at all because my employer or possible employer knows about my seizures and does not want to take on the liability!

SERIOUSLY how much more proof is required for a person to be "disabled according to the state of Texas"... It is horrible and makes people like me feel like they would be better off dead, at least then the guilt of being a mooch on one's family would go away! It is sick, and if the public were allowed to know more about the process it would change!

Original review: Feb. 26, 2017

I have been disabled all my life and recently left an abusive mother who lied about rent costs and now even with bank statements and evidence. They want me to pay for my abuser's lie and kick me off ssi knowing I am epileptic and have ptsd as well as vertigo. They have not put my appeals in and lied then after investigation they did their job but now again threatening me to take me off ssi. I have been sick since I was a child. One person's lie is costing me my health and safety even after the abuse is over they side with the abuser. I was treated rudely every time I went into an office to explain. Sent numerous papers with unreachable deadlines and nothing helped just threats and cuts and if I lose insurance I can't go talk to a therapist for the abuse I endured.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2017

I have been disabled for about 7 years. I did get paid once $35000.00 then told to get more medical evidence and reappeal so that is what I did. The new judge called me a liar and a con artist so I walked out telling her if I was a drug addict in the state of MA I would not even have to be in front of her. So I had her go in front of an appeals council. She was terminated and I won my case.

It has now been 3 years and 59 days and I have yet to see a dime. Now really if I was to put a needle in my arm in this lovely state I would have it all. Tell me please how that works. I am not sorry but if you choose to make that your lifestyle we as a working society should not have to pay for it. I would kill to be able to go back to work. I hate sitting home everyday but due to my migraines I can't. I just do see how this is for my lawyer who will only see $6000. After all his hard work has not gotten anywhere. I wish we had a phone # to call to find out what is going on with SSI. LOL, like that will ever happen.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2017

My husband was diagnosed of colon cancer stage 3a last June, 2015 and had a multiple surgery, chemotherapy as well it's been almost one year and half but we still keep on waiting. They denied us twice already and last December they found out that the cancer of my husband is back and still waiting for the disability. I don't have work because I need to care of him and our daughter and now he's under chemo and radiation therapy at the same time.

What is the social security been waiting to approve my husband disability? We don't have money to spend for our everyday life. They waiting for my husband to die first before they make an action. That's unfair. Me and husband keep on working before he got that cancer. They don't have a heart to understand our situation. I hope someone will help us and try to investigate why the social security take a long time to process the disability benefits because we both exhausted mentally and emotionally of what happened to us now.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2017

I have been getting SSI for years and I had gotten a lump sum settlement for two bad hernia mesh and did the spend down. Sent in my receipts and when I did my renewal for my SSI they had lost my receipts and the copy of my settlement check! So I went to the bank, got all my bank statements to show my spend down, turned that in just like they asked then said that I need to send receipts in that they lost in July and said I can't get my SSI till I have receipts which are all on my bank statement! That is what I have to live on! They think I have all this money in the bank. I don't!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2017

Was diagnosed with learning and mental issues when I was born. My parents and I were denied for whatever reasons... so flash forward to 2016. I've been diagnosed with a handful of mental issues since 2012 and have had nerve damage in my right hand since 2010 (I can't use my right hand very well and now I have issues with my left hand). I have a hard time handling things, lifting, etc. and I have a very hard time working with people and dealing with them. I've lost 3 of my jobs due to altercations with my bosses. I've been denied before now went to court and it was stated in court there is no jobs I can work in the USA due to my mental issues. The judge refused to take any of the evidence into consideration so I was denied. My lawyer appealed it and the courts found the judge was in the right... of course.

I reapplied October 2016. I gave SS about 50 papers backing up my claims many from social services stating I'm unable to work (to their standards). Multiple doctors in the last 6 years. Been arrested and unable to remember what had happened. Been to multiple therapy sessions for anger and such. Been medicated on many anti depression and anxiety and never pain meds (if I take any it states I should drive or operate or do basically anything since they make me very drowsy). Denied again today Jan 3rd 2017... stating the same crap... this time they said that they couldn't obtain other reports (even though I gave them all the medical documents personally about 50+ pages). The letter basically said I'm lying and there's nothing to back up my claims. No place will hire me due to my hand issue since it's a visible thing. But none will put it in writing.

I know and have met people who were drug addicts, drunks, sad sometimes and they got full disability... I feel if I was an illegal immigrant or had a different skin color I'd get that in a heartbeat. This country and state are so messed up that hardworking Americans get messed with when they need the help. So to anyone applying all I can say is lie your ass off to those morons. They want to give benefits to the ones who make the numbers in the media look good. Or change your nationality...

Hate to sound like a ** but I've personally sat there in the office in Syracuse and listened to city folks tell each other what to say, how to say it, and saying "What does it matter they gotta give us money or we'll scream discrimination." The whole system is a joke. It's not in place to help out those who actually need it. It's there to help out people who are more likely to vote a certain way.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2016

In July 2016 I was set up as payee for my disabled son at SSI. As I left they told me first payment for August would be sent by check to me. Weeks went by, I called them about 100 times, not exaggerating either. Each person got told me something different when they opened file up. Said it was mailed, another said it was direct deposited into my personal bank account, others said it was just sent... should have any day. This went on for a month with me calling everyday at my lunch break at Poughkeepsie, NY office and the Baltimore office after work till 7 p.m.

Finally one of them put a trace on it and found it was sitting in Direct Express account which I never even received a card to withdraw funds. In lieu of all this they sent me a back check of funds due to my son for $98 which was a totally different 5 named person. Mine is 2 names only. I returned that check and they said that person was not even in their computer. Where did this made up name come from then? There is definitely some fraud going on there at the SSI office behind the scenes.

Then to deal with Direct Express to try and get a card mailed from them here a month later while funds have been sitting there is as a whole other story dealing with them and getting them to even mail a card. They would tell me SSI has authorize it and SSI would say that they have nothing to do with Direct Express, and it's out of their hands once leaving the SSI office. Biggest stress I ever had to deal with with any establishment, total nightmare and exhausting while caring for a disabled family member.

At SSI you wait on hold forever and when someone finally picks up, they hang up on you. 8 out of 10 times this is the case. They lie, each one tells you different info from your file. They just lie to get you off the phone so you can call back and hopefully get someone else there to deal with so they don't have to do their job. I am customer service all day with my job and with less important dealings, and my boss would never stand for so many errors, and hanging up on people, and being rude. The majority of them should be screened and fired.

I feel so bad for an actual, disabled person like a veteran or such having to deal with them. Pretty sure SSI knows they will eventually give up because the stress is so high with their ignorance and that's what SSI hopes for, people to give up and go away. That is definitely the impression I got, and I am of sound mind doing this as a payee for my son, and I almost lost it. They are horrible and someone needs to screen these calls and see what goes on. Direct Express the same, but this main complaint is directed at SSI as I already put my complaint for Direct Express.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2016

Overall I think Social Security is failing people who truly need help. Although I know our Government has a lot of pull in how much is provided to the people who is on Social Security But I also Believe that social Security should stand up more than what they do and fight back. It's not right that certain people In America is suffering from a Disorder preventing them from being able to get out there and work like the rest without any Disorders, preventing them from being able to do their Job. But yet so many people complain about having to give a little back to people who truly need help and can't do the work they wish they could do. If they put themselves in the same people's shoes for a day then they would understand if they aren't too ignorant of course or filled with greed that some people truly do need the help.

When it comes down to it they get it back in the end. Also everyone is paying taxes in America. It's not just the working class. There are people have stacks of money in the bank but still act like it's going to kill them to give back a little when they aren't even spending it or using. They are able to work and continue collecting the same time sticking their nose up being filled with greed. Also not to mention this year's raise for the first time in a long time people on Social Security gets a raise for only two dollars. While rent and utilities are outrageous. Becoming more outrageous each year. That's not right.

My mother is on Social Security. She is unable to work mentally and physically. She struggles all the time paying her bills and keeping her rent paid because Social Security is not giving enough to cover. There are times she has froze in the winter because she can't afford the prices of gas so she uses electric heaters which then raises her Electric sky high. Not to mention her landlord is a slum landlord filled with greed that barely does any work on her home still after living in her home 20 some years and struggled to pay for repairs that the landlord would not have done herself. My mother recently signed up for HUD housing. For anyone who knows how HUD works it takes a long time sometimes for HUD too.

So in the meantime my mother is struggling still to this day while her landlord is raising her rent believe it or not because that is just greedy this woman is. She claims she is a Christian but yet so vile. She lives in a huge beautiful home. She wears gold and has a Vehicle that talks back to her and goes on vacations for months without a care in the world. She makes most her living ripping off her residents. America is becoming Greedy. It's shameful and it's absolutely disgusting with all of this greed. Social Security should step up more and do something more. It's nice what they are doing in this time frame but it's not enough and people struggling hard core month after month. It's time for some positive changes because if not America isn't even worth staying in.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2016

I have a friend who was declared 80% disabled 20 years ago from brain surgery that left him impaired. In August of 2014 he was wrecked in my truck by a bigger truck that broke his neck and gave him four more brain injuries. While six months in rehab, they gave him the wrong pain med which swelled his brain and required burr holes to be drilled in his skull and shunts put in to relieve the pressure - another brain injury. So what does SS do? This year they REDUCED his disability by $100/mo. On top of that, he got a letter saying that the "great" state of Texas would no longer pay his Part B of Medicare, with NO explanation as to WHY. I have written the Governor's Committee more than once but have not received the courtesy or respect of a reply. This man can barely fend for himself and has no family. I am on a small fixed income also but am trying to help him as much as I can. Why is he being treated this way?

Original review: Oct. 25, 2016

I was run down by a car as pedestrian car ran light left me at my own mercy no camera in lights, 4 below zero, broken fracture face, right knee injury surgery repair, lost my city job of a lifetime, only allow FMLA 1 year city policy. After using my sick and vacation time couldn't afford to pay COBRA insurance, only able to repair fracture - nose, cheek, right knee with job insurance. Having a special child, no insurance, had to go to public assistance, unable to have both shoulder surgery from injury, lost 145 pounds, unable to eat, only straw. Public assistance put me through process 45 to 90 days, appointments and physical, their doctor send their social worker to apply for disability. Had surgery April facial fractures. In August knee surgery was denied after she cancel my state physical with disability doctors, lying broken no income, not even able to attend physical therapy bd of education forgot to place my autistic son in school that year...

The analyst denied me few days after my knee surgery, and knew that I needed to have both shoulders repair. To this day lost function of my arms, no doctor would put me back within the year time frame. My hospital was private. No more job. Private insurance they stop seeing me. Didn't accept public insurance by the time received it... unfortunately lost my job. Orthopedic surgeon want me to finish physical therapy, city policy didn't extend 16 day request. Fall risk hx of spinal surgeries, fibromyalgia, and hip injury. Had to hire attorney for appeal. Waited 27 month, pay 6000 fee, and public assistance back... already public assistance cut me off, SSD hasn't provide me with award letter awaiting 60 to 90 day process.

Meantime have no medical doctor anymore. Now I have Medicare she doesn't accept no pain meds, no doctors, have to start all over... yet when I lost job insurance had to endure withdrawal, no medical care 7 month... Public assistance cut off, meantime I don't have money, nor any information on what I am receiving, being charged 121 dollars Medicare 2 years back... didn't have a refrigerator weeks, 2 children, debts, and for eviction since the accident. How can I find a way to drag myself every day to find a doctor, have no strength, carfare, and have to deal with the process. They deny you so you can go to assistance get nothing back... yet can't get answers, waiting for award letter, receiving next month, yet meantime have no care. Looking for a new doctor, public assistance says that am receiving something that SSD never told me with discontinued letter.

Didn't even receive public assistance today, yet the cut off after the first. Very sick, can't even push my walker to go anywhere. Loss function of hands from shoulder injuries neuropathy. They have people playing with your life. Denied me in my condition. Didn't let the SSD doctors determine that she cancel my appointment. Sent me letter. Lying on recliner. No income yet nothing debts, daughter college due loans, loans, medical bills. Now I lost teeth and paid for dental out of pocket. Meantime people making decisions, conditions deteriorated waiting 27 month for hearing. Don't have strength, metro card to carry myself to find help. Already have no public assistance before cut off date. At my own mercy and God...

Original review: Oct. 12, 2016

Canton, Ohio FO has applied the "holding out clause" to imply that there was an overpay on my SSI. They are using a VOID relationship to my first biological cousin and considering him my legal spouse for SSI. Under Social Security Federal Regulations Subpart R-Relationships 20 CFR 416.1806 and SI 00501.150 Determining Whether a Marital Relationship Exist D. When two individuals are no longer considered married for SSI purposes: they will find, that they are NOT to use the holding out clause in my situation, as in both states, where we resided (Ohio and Mississippi) our relationship was VOID in all aspects from the beginning, because of being so closely related.

After bringing this up (State Laws and SSA Rules) to Canton, Ohio FO Supervisor, he claims the holding out clause was applied, because we had a child together (their stories and excuses contently changing, to excuse/cover their errors) & using my daughter, for the excuse of using the "holding out clause" (and not fallowing Laws/SSA rules) would fall under Discrimination of Parental Status under SSA Policy as well. Also: FO disallowed an appeal, by saying it was non appealable! Because of the errors of Local FO here in Canton ,Ohio. They are implying, that I OWE THEM an overpay, so they applied my Social Security retroactive payment due ME toward this "overpay" and REFUSES to fix any and all errors made by them (thus causing a HUGE financial burden to myself and minor children/likely will lose our home with no place to go).

I have provided proof of errors, Laws and Rules as evidence to local FO, yet their excuses continue and errors are never corrected (as well as reviews I turn in to FO does NOT seem to have been submitted, according to the 1-888-772-1213 number). I have are rare geneticdisease and likely will never see the money actually owed to me in my lifetime sadly... nor will my children! This FO needs an audit BADLY as the misuse of power is obvious and abundant.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2016

Reading these reviews is heartbreaking and soul crushing! Mainly because I now realize that what I'm going through appears to be standard operating procedures for SSA. I was in a car accident a couple years ago. The guy who rear-ended my car was under-insured. I lost my job of 12 years, my second job of almost 5 years, it took me two more years to complete my degree. This accident just messed with my life on so many levels. Last February I decided to apply for SSDI. My application was denied for reasons that contradicted my medical records. So I filed for Reconsideration. I sent in (thankfully with a USPS tracker) ~45 more pages of medical records, specifically pinpointing why the original denial was incorrect. I even sent back a copy of my work history form and underlined each task that my medical records show I cannot perform anymore.

About a month later I received a letter from SSA. In it, they claimed a rep had spoken with me over the phone about two weeks prior (no such call ever took place). The letter claimed my reconsideration arrived too late, and that I agreed it arrived too late but said it was a mailing issue! Never, ever did this conversation take place. I went straight down to my local office with a copy of the USPS mail receipt. The rep went into a back office and came out several minutes later. She said they gave me an exception and my records were sent over for reconsideration.

Fast forward two months later: I open a letter today AGAIN denying me for the same reasons as before! I was blown away! The records I submitted clearly demonstrated that this was not a valid reason for denial. Then I looked closer. They only considered records my chiropractor sent in a few weeks ago. No mention of the 45 pages of records from my PCP, MRI's, Neurologist, etc... that I packaged up and sent to them myself along with my reconsideration application 3 months ago!

I got a letter the other day from a law firm telling me my mortgage has been accelerated by my lender. What are my options now? To sit back and wait on some future hearing date while my home is foreclosed on and I end up in a shelter? I don't have family members who can take me in. This is an absolute nightmare! I worked so hard to buy my home and all because some under-insured jerk couldn't keep his eyes on the road I'm going to lose my home! I've lost my job, my lifestyle, everything I'd worked so hard to build! I paid into SSDI to protect me from something like this, but they're literally expediting my descent into my own personal hell right now! Now I see all these complaints on this page. I feel like it's utterly hopeless!

Well in a last ditch effort I emailed my rep in Congress. I explained what happened and asked if his office would call over to SSA to ask them why they did not consider the medical reports I submitted. If I go in myself, they'll just tell me I have to wait for a hearing date to bring this issue up. But if a Congressman's office calls over, maybe they'll admit they screwed up and go back and review everything I submitted.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2016

I am 22-years-old and have PTSD and severe anxiety and depression from years of sexual abuse to the point that most of the time I do not leave the house. I applied for disability while still living in Oregon around April of this year but lost a place to live and had to move back in with my family, so my case was moved back to Texas around June. I have gone through tests with a therapist and a psychiatrist and have a formal medical diagnosis (in writing) that I do have PTSD. I sent in all of the paperwork I needed, including my diagnosis, but in August I received a letter saying they had set me up with an appointment to meet with someone in September because I was "lacking information" towards my disability.

I met with Dr. Stephen ** earlier this month and I can say with certainty that if you are ever told you have an appointment with this man, do not go. Call disability services and ask to meet with someone else. He was belligerent and passive-aggressive throughout the entirety of the appointment. He would ask horribly personal questions about my abuse and constantly be fact-checking over things that did not matter (such as whether I was with my grandparents or parents at the time; things as simple as that he would berate me about). It was as if, simply because I was going in for a psychological disability and not a physical one, he had already assumed right off the bat that I had to be lying as if it's not possible for someone to be mentally disabled.

He also seemed to write off my symptoms immediately once I said I wasn't currently going to therapy because I couldn't afford it, and the fact that I had gone to a therapist in San Angelo instead of Abilene (San Angelo is 20 minutes away); he said "Why are you going all the way over there when you can get pills for that here?" and "So you're not getting treatment for all these symptoms you supposedly have?" As if despite me having no money because I don't have a job and not being able to go to therapy AND because I don't WANT to take medication (it's a lengthy process and doesn't always help, I just want counseling/therapy if at all possible for treatment), I don't have PTSD at all.

At one point he started asking "have you ever wanted to kill yourself" and asking me to go into detail how often I thought about this and what the reasons behind it were, after just asking about my abuse in detail (which is not something I wanted to talk about; no one with trauma WANTS to talk about this to a stranger). I was already having flashbacks from going into it and talking about in detail that I have suicidal depression cause me to have a panic attack there in the room with him. I couldn't focus and tears were streaming down my face. He immediately transitioned into asking me very simple math, logic and history questions at this point, such as: "Who is the president right now?" "What is 100 minus 7?" etc. and though I was panicking and crying I was able to answer most of them; anyone could have, though I couldn't focus enough to answer questions about what particular euphemisms/phrases meant.

As soon as he finished (there were about 10 or so questions like this), he said "okay that's all we need from you" and sent me away. I was treated with cruelty and hostility for the entirety of the appointment as if he was trying to goad me into breaking down. Two weeks later I get denied disability as I am not "defined as disabled by the state." Apparently because I can answer a few simple math and logic questions after being goaded into a panic attack, I am fit to work. Because having a panic attack is a totally acceptable thing in a workplace environment, apparently, and doing average work is as plainly simple as figuring out what 7 subtracted from 100 is.

I am going to try to appeal but it just seems like Texas disability determination and services is horrible in general by my own personal experience of cruelty with Stephen ** and by all the numerous reviews on this website (the bulk of which are from people in Texas), I don't think anything positive is going to come from it, and I honestly don't think I have the energy to keep going at it like this on my own. Most people get lawyers to help them with this sort of thing but I Have No Money in the first place, how am I supposed to afford that? This whole system is horrible.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2016

This is a very sore subject with me because in 2013 that happened to me. There is nothing that you can do because in urban Social Security Cases it takes over a year to just hear your case. I was a student at Kaplan Career Institute in Detroit - I was finishing up an externship to finish the course. Near my last day I happened to run into a person whom used to work for a company named Northwestern Tech. I had been fired from just a year before! This person runs to or call the Social Security Administration office and tells them that I was working and furthermore he saw me get paid and left twenty-five pounds. For that reason alone I was denied. It has taken my five -years' just to get to this point again. I truly feel very strongly that if some person outright lies and you get a negative report. Then those people involved should not only be fined but the person whom is damaged should get every cent of his back pay. Even with having a Parkinson's disease.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2016

I was T-boned on my motorcycle by a F-150 in 2007. I was dead then I was not supposed to have a left leg. I did keep my leg and I'm alive... I've had problems with my legs since then not to mention many other problems. It's 2016 I have spent most of it in the hospital because now my right knee is blowing up I can barely walk... 4 lawyers 2 social workers and no one can understand why they keep turning me down. Now they have played me so long they told me I do not qualify for SSD because of no work. Screwing me out of any back pay at all or work credits to help me get a better amount per month.

I have lost everything, have not seen my kids in years, and I'm homeless. I'm writing this from the ER right now. I was also told I'm HIV and having difficulty with that too. FL see me as disabled and put me on Medicaid as of 4/2016. But SSI SSD have turned me down yet again telling me that I'm not that serious. So I'm dying and I can't walk and I'm pretty much living in the hospital but I'm not that serious. Even the lawyers have said they don't understand... said they have had people with way less and yet they keep turning me down for SSI and now telling me I do not qualify for SSD. This is a very messed up system.

Original review: July 31, 2016

My son has been deemed disabled since 2010. He finally received SSD benefits since 2014. Since then we have not received back payment and every month SSD states I'm making money. I'm not. I called SSD April 2, 2016 where I gave them income change. I was told that I would receive a call from my local within 7/10 days. A month later nothing. I took all my paper work to the Norristown local office, where I was treated as a criminal from Ms. Casey. She told me the paperwork I brought was not good enough. The same paperwork the 800 number told me I needed. I could have smacked the crap out her. After Casey insist that I make more than I do I had to get up and leave before I went to jail. Now July I received payment of 566. Now August I get a letter stating that because I'm receiving a special one time payment from someone that I get no benefits.

Who the hell am I getting money from. I get 1178 a month that is it. I also have to pay back 3000 dollars for overpayment. They have been trying to tell me that I make over 4000 a month. Whose social security number are they using? Not mine. I don't have food to feed my kids. I make 1178 a month and my rent is 1200. I am behind on rent. Shut off notices, and to complete that my disable child has no health insurance. I can't even pay for his medication. Why is not social security being looked into for fraud towards Americans. Why are they getting away with it. On top of me writing a speak letter to social security they did not comply with the laws and provide me a hearing. I am returning there again tomorrow to the office to find out where they are coming up with this money that I don't get. Then I guess I will have to get another lawyer.

Original review: July 24, 2016

I applied for disability benefits in Aug 2015 after being diagnosed with Stage 2 Lung cancer and having half my left lung removed 8/10. I was denied and I requested a review. Denied again as they did not feel my condition was "terminal" and I asked that they please share the cure for cancer then I appealed that second denial which was to the Adjudication Law Judge for hearing and at this point hired an attorney in Jan 2016.

Then in less than 5 weeks by March 10 2016 I was completely blind in my left eye due to rare eye cancer tumor detaching my retina and it took my vision in left eye. The left eye was also diagnosed with glaucoma on 4/19/16. I called SSA OAH that was handling my case and the lady advised me I should file Dire Needs letter and to have my attys do that for me. SUPPOSEDLY this will get your case looked at and could make determination without a hearing. I found a template for DIRE NEEDS letter online. Did it myself and my attys sent to SSA in APRIL 29 2016 and as of JULY 22 2016 nothing has been done.

I am totally broke. I live with my 79 yr old mother in a small one bedroom apt and I am 56 years old. I worked most of my adult life and put money into system. I have earned the credits or points to be eligible for disability but when I need the system to be there for me they are not. The SSA literally is hoping I die of cancer before they have to pay out one dime of what I deserve and desperately need. I also underwent 20 radiation treatments on my left eye trying to remove tumor and hopes I might get some sight back to no avail.

I am having issues still with area of my ribs/chest where chest tube was inserted ALMOST A YEAR AGO and RADIATION shrank the tumor ever so slightly in left eye but prognosis is highly unlikely I will ever regain my SIGHT in left eye. And the 6/21 appt with glaucoma doctor says my right eye has gotten somewhat weaker since APRIL 19th report.

I'm at my ropes end I have FILED a CONGRESSIONAL INQUIRY with my congressman who said they were supposed to get a "response" from SSA by 7/18 or that I could receive a response. Well I got a letter from a totally different SSA Office (not Office of Appeals and Hearings) in Denton Tx wanting me to verify statements I made with them during a phone conversation they think they had with me while I was having an upper left lobectomy on 8/10/15. Was in ICU for 24 hours after and in PCU till released on 8/14/15 and there is no way in hell they spoke to me while I was undergoing major surgery. This was alarming to me... Getting this letter however my lackadaisical attorneys shrugged it off and just suggested I ignore the LTR.

I am going to follow up Monday 7/25 with my Congressman and use the fact that it's election year to light a fire under someone. This is ridiculous. And why is there no outside 3rd party to handle complaints against SSA? Do you really think they are policing themselves?? And that's what they want us to think yet look how inefficient and poorly operated this gov't agency is. It's as bad as the recent light shown on Veterans Administration and all the horrible inefficiencies and mishandling and mistakes made within VA and I am certain it's much more rabid and widespread within SOCIAL SECURITY ADMINISTRATION.

So CONGRESSMEN... SENATORS... REPRESENTATIVES. WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO TO FIX SSA? Because it's broken and NEEDS to be fixed so it will be more cost effective as an agency of gov't and to have some kind of efficiency rating other than negatives. That's costing we the people even more money because of its total lack of effectiveness and efficacy.

Original review: July 8, 2016

I got married to an able body person in 2013. At that time I was considered a disabled adult child. When we officially got married they took that away. Then put me on SSI, however now that my wife works and I don't because I can't find a job. The amount given from SSI isn't enough. You're only allowed to make $2,400 before taxes are taken out. I would like to see if we can make the threshold a bit bigger so that two people can live a little more comfortably. I don't think it's fair for other people in the same situation to have to live this. If I were to marry someone that had disability my status as a disabled adult child would not have changed.

Original review: July 6, 2016

July 3, 2016 - I was to receive my usual monthly disability payment for my daughter but I have not received anything this month. There were no prior notices, no phone calls, not even stating why they were going to discontinue payments, who, what, where, when, how or why. It just stopped out of the blue. Based upon the above comments I have read, I am not in any means going to complain about not receiving a monthly payment. I still receive disability. I am just lost for words why they did not send a letter, no phone calls or anything to this nature. Just one month you got it and the next month it's gone. I also plead the Blood of Jesus over each and every last person's case and situation regarding this subject and matter. Amen.

Original review: June 4, 2016

June 4, 2016 I received an "ineligible" for SSD because Chris ** claimed I never applied. However, she was wrong. I filled out the complete application for the claim and sent it back to her. In addition, she failed to call me on the interview day at the scheduled time. I called this office they told me they would call back at 3PM. They never called. Then, they set me up another interview not until June 20. However, in the meantime I received the form with 6 pages, I filled out every question. It took me 2 1/2 hours to fill out this claim. I sent it in the same day it arrived in my mail. Result: I receive mail today that stated Chris ** claimed I never sent the claim in so I was "ineligible"!

How could this be when I filled out every form sent to me? I was available for that interview call and not one ever even called me? I sent that claim form in for SSD and Chris ** claimed I never sent it in? What is going on in this office? They never call you and they lose your claim forms? I am beyond furious and am calling an attorney!

Social Security Disability Company Information