2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

3.8/5 (1858 ratings)
Compare Quotes on Quotewizard

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

About Progressive Auto Insurance

Progressive sells several different types of vehicle and property insurance. It’s one of the largest auto insurers in the U.S. and offers competitive rates as well as a wide range of discounts, particularly for students, safe drivers and policyholders who make automatic payments.

Pros

• Various discounts
  • Competitive rates
  • Large service area
  • Multiple policy options

Cons

• Prices vary depending on how you buy
  • Some discounts not in some states
  • Not many in-person services

Bottom Line

Progressive offers low-cost car insurance, including options for young drivers. It's ideal for those who want affordable auto coverage and don't mind managing their policies entirely online.

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

Progressive Auto Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Progressive Auto Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Progressive Auto Insurance?

Original review: April 21, 2018

Cheap and great customer service. They're always friendly and helpful and easy to talk with. They always take time to address any concerns you have. No matter what time of day they are always there. I know all I got to do is pick up the phone and give them a call and they will be there with quick answers. They are very easy to work with and they explain your rights and your policy and terms that you can understand and make it not so hard to.

Every time I've had a problem they've been there to help me with no questions asked. They also have very competitive rates and offer the same quality service that you would find in a more expensive insurance. Very happy with the service. But there need to be more offices close to home instead of always having to try to get them on the phone. And more local offices would really increase the business and their customer base. Local office is also employing local people which makes it and more personable people.

Original review: April 21, 2018

Window replacement was quick and easy. It was affordable and came invaluable. I just called and they sent me to a reliable company and my window was installed in less then 15 minutes. Most insurance company don't offer window replacement and I don't like that. Now I always ask for window replacement for any insurance company that I get insurance from. However, the policy cost of Progressive became high. I had to have a SR22 but no tickets on my license and it wasn't suspended. I didn't have any accidents either. I had an old warranty that I was unaware of. Progressive doesn't pay enough to fix your car and rental car when you have an accident. Insurance company need to provide better for their customers and rates need to be more affordable so that if we do get in an accident they will pay for all of the cost.

Original review: April 21, 2018

I like Progressive cause you can compare their prices with the other top name insurance companies, like Geico, State Farm, etc. Also Progressive have better customer service than other leading insurance customers. I like their 24/7 customer claim service and the sales staff are courteous and friendly. I like their payments are affordable. But they don't have a disappearing deductible policy. Also I don’t like that Progressive don’t have products for business customers and that they don’t have a BBB (Better Business Bureau) rating. This gives customers a good service for finding out information about a certain insurance customer. Other than that, I have a good overall experience with this company.

Original review: April 21, 2018

I like that they have cheaper rates than most other major insurance companies. I also like that I can add my renter’s insurance to my policy. Very convenient! They have friendly customer service and has a variety of things I can add such as roadside assistance and rental car. I love that every time I call they go out of their way to help me. But after you have been with them for a while they sometimes increase the prices. If you haven't had any accidents they should decrease the price of your plan.

Original review: April 21, 2018

Shopped at different companies online for quotes and Progressive had the cheapest quote when originally looking for insurance. Purchased it online and received documents in the mail a short time later. It was fairly simple. Also, easy to make automatic payments online, easy to get quote updates every year and have an app for phone use. But I dislike the rate increase every renewal period, despite being with the company long term and having no claims or accidents. Have to call and try and get rate reduced.

Original review: April 21, 2018

My Progressive insurance broker is awesome! Treated me good when I had my accident, was quick to resolve issues or add or subtract vehicles over the phone. Plus, they have very reasonable prices on all their policies. I just wish they'd look into accident forgiveness. Also good drivers should be rewarded for their good driving. But overall, I'm satisfied and would recommend Progressive to family and friends.

Original review: April 21, 2018

Setting up the policy was pretty typical. My account was billed and paid on a monthly basis via a monthly statement and insurance cards were mailed to my house. The rates were good up until my son had an accident. Progressive doesn't seem like a very good company. My policy was cancelled and this seems unfair or even unethical as you pay the premiums every month but as soon as you actually have to use the services, you are dropped. So they will gladly take your money every month but if you actually ask them to do their job, they have no interest and want to drop you.

Original review: April 21, 2018

I purchased my initial policy with Progressive over the phone. After a few years I went to a local insurance agent, who doesn't represent only one company, and he was able to keep my same policy but change a few things in my favor and overall I keep saving money, it's great! I like their Snapshot device that can help you get a discount by driving better. It beeps very loudly if you accelerate or decelerate too quickly and you quickly pay more attention once it goes off on you once. Anyhow, I'm not sure if they have a mobile app to access your insurance cards but that would be very convenient for those who live in states where an electronic ID card is acceptable.

Original review: April 21, 2018

The lady was very nice and very helpful when helping me get the coverage I needed. I like that they have a person you are actually talking to when you call. Progressive is quick to deal with a claim after an accident and the service is also fast. They were helpful to tell me the closest place I could get it fixed that also supplied a courtesy vehicle. But their rates go up every time the policy is due. If a driving record has not changed, rates should only go down. I also do not think your rates should be based on the type of car you drive either. Maybe the cost of the vehicle, but the driving record should be considered, not sports car or family car.

Original review: April 21, 2018

Purchasing my insurance was very simple and Progressive offered amazing rates. Reasonable rates and great customer service. Always able to answer my questions. They worked with me every step of the process. They were simply amazing and helpful. They made purchasing as smooth as possible. They know exactly what I want and gave it to me. They've always explained everything in detail to make sure that I understood what was going on with my policy. And even when switching vehicles I've never had an issue with them.

Original review: April 20, 2018

Progressive Auto Insurance is one of the best and I like the decent rates they have for their policy. Even though policies today's date rates are so high and won't cover enough, Progressive still pay with no hassle when claim are post. I don't think that any other company does that. But it would be nice if they could lower their rates for something way more affordable and cover more. I can assure that they would have way more customer than any other insurance company. But my experience with Progressive was not bad. I like Progressive so much.

Original review: April 20, 2018

Customer service on the phone was quick and easy. Any changes we needed were instant. When we needed to file a claim, they wrapped it up in 2 phone calls. Received payment very quickly, too. Everything was over the phone, we didn’t have to go in anywhere to sign anything. Simple and fast. Easy questions that helped us get discounts. But I wish there would be discounts on regular rates for driving low miles in a year. The plug-in driving monitor was not helpful and I didn’t like it at all. They also need to change their commercials. Flo is getting a bit annoying.

Original review: April 20, 2018

I have liability and it's super cheap. I only pay 58 dollars for my pickup, which I pay online. I like that I can switch my insurance on my vehicles any day and not have to jump through hoops. Though the interface on their website and ease of access could use some improvement. But overall, I love my insurance. My agent is personable and I can walk right in her office and have a conversation about my policy or life in general. I like her so much I invited her to my wedding.

Original review: April 20, 2018

The experience I had with this company was absolutely awful. I speak English only, I was born and raised in the United States; and although everyone is entitled to a job, it is difficult for me to communicate with the customer service. Also, insurance companies including Progressive should not be allowed to put a person at fault or not at fault in a collision. This should be left up to law enforcement.

Original review: April 20, 2018

I purchased the policy through an agent, so it was pretty painless. I just went in when I bought my new car, they compared the different policies for me and gave me my options and I chose the one that looked the best. They offered roadside assistance with their full-coverage and various discounts. At the time, this was a new concept, the only discounts being offered were if you bundled home and auto insurances. But I didn't own a home, I was a college student. Since then I've been impressed by the customer service I've received whenever I need to fix the windshield or the one time I had an accident. They've been really great.

Like the discounts too. When I had an accident they were really easy to work with and provided a rental while my car was being repaired. Then, after a short while, that accident was cleaned off my record and I became eligible for discounts again. I've been really pleased with the cost too. Everyone would like to pay less, but I really can't complain too much because they give me discounts for safe driving and the time I've had the policy.

Original review: April 20, 2018

I like the price, the ease of electronic payments and easy to use website. The length of time I have been with them gives me a discount, like ease of printing coverage cards and information, never have to speak to a person. They handle everything electronically. Give me payment options including all at once or installments. But could be better. Dislike ridiculous premium increases. When called them about it I was told the state, SC, votes to ALLOW them so the HAD, to increase. But they lied to me, the state of SC did not force them to increase my premium. I hate lying companies like this one. Other than being lied to the experience is good. Easy to use website and at least they will answer the phone when you call and it is an English speaking person.

Original review: April 20, 2018

Progressive is reliable and I'm satisfied but a cheaper policy rate would be ideal and would be what I'm looking for but I will stick with what I've got for now.

Original review: April 20, 2018

I am a big fan of Progressive Auto Insurance. It was very easy to get a quote and I was happy with the pricing. They have fair prices with great customer service. Purchasing the policy was very quick, easy, and smooth. I did not need to deal with anyone over the phone, and the website was easy to use. I have been a loyal customer for a long time, and wish there were more benefits and discounts for long-term customers.

Original review: April 20, 2018

So far my experience with Progressive Auto Insurance has been alright and I have been completely satisfied with the company. Customer service is polite and helpful. My policy covers everything I need. I like the price for the amount of coverage I receive on both of my vehicles. However, I dislike that the prices are changing from what I was originally quoted and now going to cost me more than before. So I'm going to have to change insurance companies now.

Original review: April 20, 2018

Cuts out a check in person in the event of a wreck and you can choose a place that you want to fix your vehicle or give a quote. They never take forever to get you an inspector to look at damages to your vehicle either. All the staff are extremely helpful and nice as well. But I canceled my policy because I sold the vehicle I had on that policy and they still charged me for the remainder of my term even though I no longer had a car in my possession. Also, I was unaware of that until it was in collections and on my credit. They should charge less if you have good driving history. Most people pay out of pocket for insurance and never have to use it. So it’s only fair that those people pay less for car insurance. At least until they finally have to use it then maybe let it raise in price. Nonetheless I would come back to Progressive again.

Original review: April 20, 2018

Progressive is quick to take care of a claim and treats their customers like they actually care. For an insurance company they're all right. They've always treated me great, like each customer not just another claim number. Progressive was informative and helpful, kind and supportive... nice and personable. Easy to work with and very relaxed.

Original review: April 20, 2018

The customer service is wonderful and the representatives are very clear on all the details when you call to ask a question. The details of my policy was explained in a detailed matter and when I needed an extra insurance card, I did not have any issue getting another one. The moment I spoke to inquire about insurance to the moment I became a customer was very pleasant. I was not pressured into getting more than I needed.

Original review: April 20, 2018

The process of buying Progressive insurance was very easy and straightforward. Their policy is very easy to understand and they are affordable. The features that I liked about Progressive was that it was affordable. They had good customer service. They were lenient with being so many days after the due date. They had a reasonable grace period before they considered your payment past due. What I most dislike about Progressive insurance is that once someone files against you. The representatives did not want to listen to anything I had to say. Then when I told my insurance agent that I was done. She did not cancel my plan. She completely ignored me. I told her that I would not give Progressive another penny. So now Progressive are trying to say that I owe them money. I just hope one doesn't have an accident or something. Because after that the payment for liability becomes extremely high.

Original review: April 20, 2018

Progressive is too expensive but I have no choice because of my driving record. Purchasing went well except when the insurance company made a mistake with my bank account. They do not take the money out for payment that caused me to have no insurance and a suspended license.

Original review: April 20, 2018

We signed up online for our policy and my experience has been really good. Like the price of the policy for the coverage. Also they have wonderful customer service. I have had such wonderful experience with them. They save us money and help to make sure we are getting every discount we qualify for. They called us 6 months in to see if they could save us some money and they could and they will call again in another 6 months.

Original review: April 19, 2018

We tried to get a good price from many different companies and Progressive is the one that we found to be the most affordable. The process for signing up was very easy. I was glad that I was able to do it all online at my own convenience. I also like that we can check stuff out from an app. It makes it much easier to be able to find out information about my policy. It is also very easy to get in touch with a representative when I need to and they seem very informed about my account. Overall I'm glad that I can have affordable insurance, but I don't like that my monthly price changed. Not only did it go up a considerable amount, but I wasn't informed of the change before it happened. I also have it set up to automatically take out a payment each month and I don't like how it never actually comes out on the correct day. Sometimes it's several days later and it makes it harder to keep up with my finances.

Original review: April 19, 2018

I had a really good experience when shopping for my insurance policy because Progressive checked other companies’ prices as well as theirs. I opted for them because they had better coverage for not much more than the other companies. They are convenient to use and have always treated me well. The app is easy to follow along with and when I have called in the past I got to speak with an actual person and not just the machine. But I would like to be able to choose my payment due date. At this point, the payment comes out at the same time as my car payment and that can be a little stressful from time to time.

Original review: April 19, 2018

They have fast customer service and good prices, and friendly people. I like to have a popular company as my insurance company. I will probably keep them for a while longer. But they are a little expensive. And I hate their commercials. I do not like Flo. She gets on my nerves, and she looks like she has bad breath all the time. When I tried to drop a car from my policy, Progressive charged me for an extra 3 weeks. I did not like that and looked around for another company but it would cost more to switch so I just stayed. But overall, it has been good.

Original review: April 19, 2018

I am very happy with my Progressive Auto Insurance. The company provides good services at reasonable rates and great customer service. They have been great to do business with and I like that they offer other products as well. It was easy to set up my policy online and if there are any changes, they update me immediately. It's also convenient and everything I need, like getting the insurance card, viewing the policy and paying it, is easy to access and is available to me 24 hours, 7 days a week online. I also enjoy the funny commercials. Who wouldn't like Flo? Overall, my experience is great and I highly recommend Progressive to family and friends.

Original review: April 19, 2018

It’s ok. Coverage is good but the rest is just eh and it could be better. The plug-in discount thing for my car, I like how it gets me discounts based on my driving. However, no wiggle room for bill pay. Sometimes I need to change a bill date but cannot change it through the app or website as well.

Progressive Auto Insurance Company Information