2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

Compare Quotes on Quotewizard
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.89/5
Based on 1,860 ratings submitted in the last year

Progressive sells several different types of vehicle and property insurance. It’s one of the largest auto insurers in the U.S. and offers competitive rates as well as a wide range of discounts, particularly for students, safe drivers and policyholders who make automatic payments.

Progressive Auto Insurance Compare Quotes on Quotewizard

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started
Compare Quotes on Quotewizard

Progressive Auto Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Progressive Auto Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Progressive Auto Insurance?

Original review: April 23, 2018

I have had a decent experience outside of the intrusive tracking/monitoring device, but I am secondary on the account. I was only added later to save money and for convenience. I like the low priced family plans, and the very easy to use website. I also enjoy the fact that I don't have to think about payments, they come directly out of my partner's account. Autopay is great! But I dislike that we must plug in a tracking device to our vehicle to maintain the low prices. It's very intrusive and invades our privacy! It also beeps every time it perceives that you brake too hard, it makes you feel like you're being watched and judged at all times... and living in Minnesota with the snow and ice, sometimes braking hard is necessary!

Original review: April 23, 2018

I like the name your price tool and I like the commercials. The employees are friendly and very accommodating. Insurance was easy to get and the quote was fast. I got my cards in the mail pretty fast and their website is nice and easy to use. I’m overall pretty satisfied with the company. The price is a little too high and I would improve bringing the prices down. Also they shouldn’t send so many emails to their customers.

Original review: April 22, 2018

I like that my auto insurance policy is a good price point with variables in deductibles and low cost and mediocre coverage for full coverage and the aggressiveness in price comparison quotes on a monthly basis. The customer service has been very satisfactory and helpful and the friendly reminders with up to date information is a refreshing opening in the market today. But I would like lower premiums for more coverage and more options to choose from with a wider variety of coverage. The accident insurance part is way too risky on a buyers end.

Original review: April 22, 2018

The process of purchasing the insurance was a little confusing so I had my parents help me. I also asked staff questions before purchasing a certain coverage plan. I have full coverage and they are easy to reach and the staff is supportive and easy to talk to. When I got in an accident the staff was professional and caring towards my case. But maybe the insurance could be a little less expensive. Otherwise they do everything as they should.

Original review: April 22, 2018

Progressive Auto Insurance is a joke. And I'm very disappointed with them. They were very nice, but they lied to me. In addition, I never got one discount and I wish they would have gave better ones. They need to be more polite and call to make changes to help the working man. Moreover, I didn't like having that computer plugged into my car. It beeped every time I hit the breaks and I think it was stupid to use this. Plus, they were a lot higher on insurance than who I have now. I found a different company to use who was a lot cheaper and gave me better discounts on my insurance that's why I don't use Progressive now.

Original review: April 22, 2018

I love Progressive Auto Insurance. To get this insurance is really easy. I just need my paperwork for my car and state what premium I want and what deductible. Also, the expiration that they give is really helpful to me. I like that they are always there to assist me on whatever I need help. The price is excellent but Progressive raises it. When I went in to pay my bill they had told me that it was $5 more than what I was paying and there was no explanation to why the price went up.

Original review: April 22, 2018

After researching various insurance companies, Progressive has some of the cheapest prices. And since we have little need for auto insurance due to being safe drivers, the only reason we have it is because it is the law. We never have any accidents and only carry insurance as, well... as insurance just in case, lol. So, as long as it's cheap, we are good. When we recently bought a new truck, all it took was a quick visit online and voila, we were covered. My wife handles it all online. If I was crazy rich and didn't care about throwing away my money, I might consider changing companies.

Original review: April 22, 2018

Progressive's insurance coverage was right for my vehicle needs and it was the cheapest I found at the time. Everything was explained to me before I decided to purchase the policy. The purchasing of a policy was quick and easy. Their online quotes and apps were simple, and there were someone there and ready to chat with me if I had any questions. I really liked that feature, because I didn't have to wait nor did I have to call just to get answers. The employees were customer friendly. And treated me with the utmost respect. My experience with Progressive was great.

Original review: April 22, 2018

Progressive has fast & friendly service, they not only give rates for comparison, but if you are in an accident, they will come to the accident site, and if necessary requirements are met, they will cut a check on the spot. However, your policy is NOT TRANSFERABLE to another state, meaning you have to start a new policy for that state, and it's possible that your rates will increase, due to the insurance requirements for that particular state. IF this issue was corrected, that would be one less thing to worry about when relocating to another state. Also if you're in a NO FAULT accident & your NEW CAR is totaled, Progressive should have a NEW CAR REPLACEMENT policy, where they replace your car same year or 1 year higher, and the online rate discount quote you receive should also be available.

If you have to go to an office to complete your policy, and if you go out of town to visit & unfortunately get stopped by the police, they should be able to see your coverage when they run your tag through their system because when I went out of town & I took ill my son used my car. And when he was stopped by the police, he received a ticket for not having insurance coverage, when in fact the car was insured. When I brought the issue to Progressive, I was informed that because I was covered at the time, and my policy was written in Florida, there was a chance that, that particular state would not recognize the coverage, again because my Florida coverage requirements may not have been the same for that particular state, and I was on the hook for the ticket.

There should be a way that no matter where you visit your coverage should be recognized in every state, not just the state it was issued in. If this is not possible we as policyholders will continue to pay for tickets received outside the issuing state, OR Progressive can pay for the ticket, OR Progressive can reimburse you for the ticket by deducting the cost of the ticket from your monthly payment. That will ensure Progressive won't lose any new customers, OR the current policyholders, to another insurance company, that offers New Car Replacement and the insurance coverage is recognize when visiting another state.

And lastly lower the rates by partnering with a few companies and offering their employees coverage with the option of automatic deduction from their payroll check, while still meeting state requirements for full coverage with Comp & Collision coverage with a $500 deductible that is required for new cars in most states. And once these adjustments are implemented Progressive can have the Monopoly on car insurance but all in all Progressive is a wonderful company, I have recommended Progressive to family and friends. My over all experience with the process was great, when I had questions or concerns, I was able to do a live chat which was very helpful and with service like that, Progressive will always have me as a loyal and faithful customer.

Original review: April 22, 2018

I like that the majority of the quote/updates are done online. I can easily view/change things on their website or through their app. Also they offer many discounts. The process for purchasing insurance through Progressive was SO easy. I did it in one day, within less than an hour. It was super fast and easy to understand. I was able to print everything out I needed that day and then was mailed other papers in the future. However, my insurance has progressively gotten more expensive over the past year. I haven't had any accidents or tickets. Not sure why a loyal customer with a clean record would have their insurance rates go up.

Original review: April 22, 2018

This insurance provider’s prices are pretty low, and it was quick, convenient and easy to get set up. The auto payment was very convenient for us and being able to call a representative gave us peace of mind. However, Progressive handled one of our claims without proper communication with us. We had no idea that they had already settled the claim with the other party. We had to do our own investigating and digging to figure out what had happened. This is the main reason we switched providers.

Original review: April 22, 2018

Purchasing the Progressive auto insurance policy was easy and quick. Progressive looks out for people. Also great representation. I have had great exprience with this company since I have been with them. I really like this company. They help with getting the best deals. It is the best company I have found. I like the multi driver discount for extra drivers, safe driving record for when you don't get into a accident, cheap rates allow for easier payments and all kinds of discounts for me. Since I am a safe driver Progressive allows me for cheaper rates.

Original review: April 22, 2018

Has good variety of coverage. Cheaper and very friendly people who work in the office. Easy to get a hold of and make changes to my policy. The agent is very helpful and knowledgeable. If he isn't available he has a very knowledgeable secretary who is always happy to help with quotes and types of coverage. Very easy to get coverage started with auto draft from the bank. But Progressive could be cheaper. If rate was same without having to have it auto drafted from my account. More activity more chances of mistakes in my bank account. Also longer hours and more accessible from the computer.

Original review: April 22, 2018

I purchased my insurance policy online, and eventually had to speak to a representative who then helped me complete my purchase because I wanted to get the full coverage. I like Progressive Insurance company because I am never on hold for more than 2 minutes when I call into customer service. I have road side assistance through Progressive and I have only used it once however that experience was nice and the assistance came really fast. I was on the NJ parkway when my vehicle started flashing some lights on the dashboard, I called the road side assistance and I had someone with me in about fifteen minutes. It felt nice to have someone come to my aide quickly because it can get super creepy super quickly being stuck.

Original review: April 22, 2018

I liked the snapshot feature we got with Progressive. It was neat and helped save us money by giving us some more discounts until we unfortunately had to return it after using it for 6 months because that was the deal. I didn't like how expensive some of the policies were as well as the layout of their website, which was a little hard to navigate. The process of purchasing our auto insurance policy was long and time consuming. We had to repeat some information a few times while checking out and had to restart a couple of times because the site booted us off after a certain time if we didn't answer in a certain amount of time. But the overall experience we had with Progressive was good.

Original review: April 22, 2018

The overall purchasing process with this insurance company was easy and straightforward. I did it all online and they even chatted with me to help me get the best price. I like that they have settled my claims in the past quickly and efficiently. The employees are nice and helpful and I felt taken care of when I spoke to them both on the phone and online. But I dislike that my insurance payment has gone up because of no fault accidents I have had in the past. This has been a strain financially to keep my insurance.

Original review: April 22, 2018

Progressive has really great customer service and when I would need to call for any issues or questions I never once dealt with a rude or unhelpful agent. I also loved how user friendly the website is. When I went on to set up the policy, it was a very streamlined and easy process. I also liked that I could print the ID cards from home. However, the cost for the Progressive insurance premiums was too expensive and they never lowered the cost over time the 2 years I had them. We were able to move to another agency for cheaper.

Original review: April 22, 2018

It's been a number of years since I was insured with Progressive. Customer service was good and the language was accessible. Purchasing the insurance was a fairly streamlined process. Progressive is fine but a little more expensive than my current policyholder, which is why I changed over to Geico Insurance.

Original review: April 22, 2018

I was pleased with my overall experience and process of purchasing my policy. Everything is done completely online. All forms are signed electronically except for one set which had to mailed to me and faxed or mailed back. It was very simple though and the policy started right away. Plus policy cards can be mailed or printed online. Easy to access claims forms and great customer service. Very affordable options available too. Discounts for multicar, students, and no accidents plus more available. Prices lowered if you add homeowners, renters, or some other kinds of policies with them. But roadside assistance offered is not wonderful. I would work to improve that which is an additional cost added to your policy already. So you would think you would be able to choose what you want out of it. But really it's a very basic roadside assistance.

Original review: April 21, 2018

HORRENDOUS customer service! A waste of money when customer service is rude, condescending and combative. Forget that I saved $540 a year going elsewhere. It's where the customer service is argumentative and harmful. They added a person to my insurance policy that I have no relation to, without communicating a policy change to me "the authorized policy holder". They corrected the mistake upon my call, but gave me a partial refund (short $120) and acted like it was my fault. I immediately switched insurance companies, called back to cancel, and with much argument about my switching my business elsewhere. They contacted my State motor vehicle department reporting "no insurance" when I gave them my new insurance information on my cancellation call.

In my opinion, what this is: A mediocre middle of the road insurance underwriter who obviously caters to people with average to poor credit ratings. The level of employees that serve in customer service (I have dealt with six of them including a manager) is below average in customer service skills. Almost like a boiler room breeding in negativity. If you have exceptional credit, exceptional driving record, Progressive is NOT for people like us. When I switched to my new insurance company, I noticed a much higher level of customer service (and yes the money I saved) (which is not the only factor). I have never had a claim, so I cannot speak about the level of service on that.

Original review: April 21, 2018

I liked that they, Progressive, gives you a price comparisons almost immediately online from other insurance companies. Sometimes they are not the cheapest but it felt like they were being extremely honest. One other company was cheaper but I felt Progressive was more trustworthy. Their customer service is pretty good as well but I would like to improve the price. Insurance is very expensive and I'd like to see prices normalize and decrease. Making insurance more affordable ensures more people would have coverage, protecting us all, including insurance companies. My overall experience I feel was pretty normal.

Original review: April 21, 2018

We've been with Progressive for 8+ years. I appreciate that you can change your policy at any time online. I also like the deductible deposit program, discounts, reward program, coverage on property, good customer service, good at issuing payment for submitted claims. Overall, reputable company. But because Michigan is a no-fault state, we have high insurance premiums. In addition, accidents stay on our records for 3 years and impacts our premium price for that amount of time as well.

Original review: April 21, 2018

Progressive was the cheapest insurance company that I could find at the time. The site is easy to navigate and it was easy to choose and get a policy. They also have several payment options to choose from. However, what I dislike is that I have not even had a ticket in around 15 years and I am 60 years old and I have three cars on my policy but instead of the rates going down they seem to keep going up.

Original review: April 21, 2018

My experience with Progressive has been amazing. They go out of their way to make sure you get exactly what you're looking for. The loyalty program is a great feature because you get more incentives each year that you're with them. The incentives you get definitely pay off in the long run. The recovery service is also a great feature but it needs to be included in the liability insurance as well and not just the full coverage. I would still recommend Progressive to anyone looking for insurance.

Original review: April 21, 2018

We like using Progressive for our insurance company because we were able to access their services online. We found their rates to be comparatively less than other insurances for the same policy type and we have continued to find them easy to use and work with as we have upgraded and changed our vehicles. So far we have had a very smooth experience with Progressive regarding purchasing insurance. If we had to go through the process again there is little that we would change. We periodically review our insurance coverage to ensure we are receiving the best-priced coverage for our needs, as such we hope that the rates will remain competitive.

The company has an average rating for satisfaction and that a number of people have reported online that the customer service is not always to a high standard or quality. That would be very concerning if we needed to make a claim which we have not as yet had to do. Other than that the only thing we could ask for would be even better rates and extension of coverage.

Original review: April 21, 2018

I’m pleased with Progressive as a whole. The billing is easy to deal with. The commercials are pretty entertaining. But there isn’t a location close to my home and that I had to go through another broker to access a Progressive policy.

Original review: April 21, 2018

Progressive has people that really care about the customers. I've had issues with my job and they really did everything they could to help me keep insurance on my vehicle. They are very reasonable and I've referred plenty of people to them. One of the best.

Original review: April 21, 2018

Cheap and great customer service. They're always friendly and helpful and easy to talk with. They always take time to address any concerns you have. No matter what time of day they are always there. I know all I got to do is pick up the phone and give them a call and they will be there with quick answers. They are very easy to work with and they explain your rights and your policy and terms that you can understand and make it not so hard to.

Every time I've had a problem they've been there to help me with no questions asked. They also have very competitive rates and offer the same quality service that you would find in a more expensive insurance. Very happy with the service. But there need to be more offices close to home instead of always having to try to get them on the phone. And more local offices would really increase the business and their customer base. Local office is also employing local people which makes it and more personable people.

Original review: April 21, 2018

Window replacement was quick and easy. It was affordable and came invaluable. I just called and they sent me to a reliable company and my window was installed in less then 15 minutes. Most insurance company don't offer window replacement and I don't like that. Now I always ask for window replacement for any insurance company that I get insurance from. However, the policy cost of Progressive became high. I had to have a SR22 but no tickets on my license and it wasn't suspended. I didn't have any accidents either. I had an old warranty that I was unaware of. Progressive doesn't pay enough to fix your car and rental car when you have an accident. Insurance company need to provide better for their customers and rates need to be more affordable so that if we do get in an accident they will pay for all of the cost.

Original review: April 21, 2018

I like Progressive cause you can compare their prices with the other top name insurance companies, like Geico, State Farm, etc. Also Progressive have better customer service than other leading insurance customers. I like their 24/7 customer claim service and the sales staff are courteous and friendly. I like their payments are affordable. But they don't have a disappearing deductible policy. Also I don’t like that Progressive don’t have products for business customers and that they don’t have a BBB (Better Business Bureau) rating. This gives customers a good service for finding out information about a certain insurance customer. Other than that, I have a good overall experience with this company.

Progressive Auto Insurance Company Information