2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

3.8/5 (1858 ratings)
Compare Quotes on Quotewizard

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

About Progressive Auto Insurance

Progressive sells several different types of vehicle and property insurance. It’s one of the largest auto insurers in the U.S. and offers competitive rates as well as a wide range of discounts, particularly for students, safe drivers and policyholders who make automatic payments.

Pros

• Various discounts
  • Competitive rates
  • Large service area
  • Multiple policy options

Cons

• Prices vary depending on how you buy
  • Some discounts not in some states
  • Not many in-person services

Bottom Line

Progressive offers low-cost car insurance, including options for young drivers. It's ideal for those who want affordable auto coverage and don't mind managing their policies entirely online.

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

Progressive Auto Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Progressive Auto Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Progressive Auto Insurance?

Original review: April 24, 2018

Progressive is cheaper, easier to pay, easy access and I can check my bill on line. I like the way they help with your policy if needed. They have an app that I can download on to my phone where I have my insurance card electronic instead of fifteen hundred pieces of paper in my car. The app is very helpful in finding the information I need to have on my policy. The app also provides all of my documents that I have had since I began with Progressive. But roadside assistance takes forever, you sit for two hours waiting for the service to show up to your service area. Also they are horrible about providing the right address to the service company.

Original review: April 24, 2018

Progressive Auto Insurance's policy provides the coverage I need at a reasonable price and that is really all I need. My overall experience and the process of purchasing my auto insurance was straightforward and easy. Moreover, all my interactions with sales representatives have been helpful, productive, and friendly. Plus, the mobile application is easy to use and convenient. It has all functionality needed to pay online and email notifications are always very helpful. I was a couple of days late on a payment and could no longer access my account details online. The process to reinstate is also fairly easy but, it would be helpful and convenient to have access online to pay versus calling and speaking to a sales representative to reinstate the policy.

Original review: April 24, 2018

It was easy to sign up online and they give you quotes very quickly but it is annoying that every six months when I have to renew, I have to make a double payment each time which makes those months a little difficult. But I like the roadside assistance. It's easy to use because of the Progressive app which is also nice. On the app you can have proof of insurance, call for assistance, pay your bill. It is all very convenient. But for being someone with no bad driving record it's discouraging that I am charged so much for full coverage. I also would like if they made it cheaper so I could afford to bundle and include renters insurance as well as auto.

Original review: April 24, 2018

Progressive Auto Insurance is very flexible and works with me to make sure I am satisfied with everything they are offering. I was able to purchase online without having to speak with anyone and provided all documents that I could have needed. Moreover, my automobile insurance premium rate has not changed in the past couple of calendar years.

Original review: April 24, 2018

The price of Progressive Auto Insurance for the coverage you get is better than most companies out there. Its coverage was adequate for a decent price. However, coverage could be better and customer service didn't seem to care, and often hard to get answers from.

Original review: April 24, 2018

I purchased my policy over the phone and had immediate coverage. It was easy and simple to do. I have auto pay and they take my premium right out of my bank account so it is hassle free. My insurance cards are mailed every six months. I like my coverage with Progressive because the price is right. I own an older car and they gave me the best rate of anyone. But it is charged to my account at the end of the month instead of the beginning which would be much more convenient.

Original review: April 24, 2018

I am not presently happy with my current insurance policy at all in any way, shape or form. There is absolutely nothing I am getting from my current policy (basic liability insurance for one vehicle) that I could not get from another insurance company for less money. When I switched my current policy to a different vehicle, I was told there would only be a $16 increase in my bill. When the bill arrived, it was $75 increase and when I called was told it was a mistake and the $75 would be my increase.

I live in a better area than I did with the old policy so why the drastic increase? I still have no accidents on my record and a very basic policy, yet I am still paying through the nose for one vehicle. I don't like the fact that my policy rates keep going through the roof despite having no accidents, living in a safe area and driving an older vehicle. The customer service can never answer my questions and it takes hours on the phone to reach them. I am currently looking to switch companies.

Original review: April 24, 2018

I had Progressive many years ago. They were a good company and the prices were good. When I first became a customer they were very helpful and explained everything very well. The process of getting the policy was easy. I did most of it online and purchased online. They outlined all my different payment options I could choose from. But they started raising my premium without giving a reason. I had a hard time getting my questions answered from customer service. They were good in the beginning but once I was a customer for a few years they were like I wasn't important enough to deal with.

Original review: April 24, 2018

I go through a company that I have been with since I was 18 that found the lowest rate for me. It happened to be Progressive and they have been decent. I had one wreck with them once and it was handled fast and painless. So I am overall happy with them. The only reason I would leave was for a better rate. I think I pay too much, but I called one other place for a quote once and it was way higher so I just stayed. I like that I get a lower rate every time I renew. I also like the automatic withdrawal system. That is nice. I like the customer service for the most part. But when it was time to add my teenage driver I didn't understand the laws and rules and a couple different agents weren't so nice about it.

Original review: April 24, 2018

I have had Progressive for a very long time well worth it. They have been good to me since I've had them. They are very helpful when I need them. They have good prices and overall I like them. Insurance policy is amazing. I wouldn't switch to anyone else.

Original review: April 24, 2018

The purchasing process was easy and I also like the convenience of doing everything online and having the app to complete most tasks needed associated with insurance. I was able to choose exactly what coverage I needed or wanted and was able to add or decline as I pleased. I also like the peace of mind with having the roadside assistance option. The payments were low for more coverage and offered better product options.The price for full coverage versus state minimum requirement was not a huge gap difference. And the variety of coverage options gives enough flexibility to allow many choices. But I want lower payments and more discounts. Price really seems to be the only issue with insurance as well as having to pay a large sum when you renew the policy.

Original review: April 24, 2018

Choosing and opening the policy was very simple. It was all done online and didn't take very long. Adding or removing vehicles is also simple. I can do everything online and it is convenient. I am also satisfied with the cost of my current insurance in comparison to other companies I've used in the past. However, I dislike the fact that you cannot remove anyone from your policy without that person calling, even if the policy is in your name.

Original review: April 24, 2018

With my insurance company, I matter. They always answer questions completely and always with a person not the computer. Our needs for our vehicles are met custom tailored to us. From sales to customer service they are always very helpful and proficient. If anyone needs to be treated like a customer not a number, Progressive is my best advice.

Original review: April 24, 2018

I have been with Progressive for about 3yrs. They have great rates for females my age. Their customer service and rates are awesome to me. Once they are called upon, they are great about making sure that you have the help that you need. I would recommend them to anyone else who is looking to be insured. But I suggest they extend the grace period as two to three days is not enough time in my book.

Original review: April 24, 2018

Progressive is 100% there for you. I've had them for years and wouldn't change one thing about them. They did all the work for me when I got in my accident. They came out and did all the photos and got my insurance claim done and did within 24 hours. Just absolutely love them. It's also very very cheap and all of the customer service 24 hours. We get 24 hour care. AAA comes out and helps from anywhere in my state. I am completely 100% Satisfied by this company.

Original review: April 24, 2018

My experience with Progressive Auto Insurance was mediocre. Having the ability to sign up for my policy online was convenient and to pay monthly was nice, it gave flexibility to cancel if I wasn't happy. But I dislike cancelling via phone and being stuck on hold for a while, and the refund policy was a bit long. As a loyal customer for five years, the price continuing to go up drove me to another company and I've been with that company for 6 years now.

Original review: April 23, 2018

They work with you. They were fast and very helpful when I had to file my claim. They went over everything with me which was very helpful for me. They even called me to see how I was doing. They even found me a plan that would work for me so I would not have a lapse in my insurance until I got another car.

Original review: April 23, 2018

On February 1, 2018. a Progressive insurer was riding a truck carrying multiple bales of hay, uncovered and not tied down on 58 highway. The bale of hay flew into my vehicle at 55mph and hit every area of my vehicle before bursting in the road after another truck hit the hay. I contacted Progressive Ins. First person took my call was a male. He was very rude. He didn't ask if I were okay or anything. Then, my adjuster was Reta **. She acted as if she was so concerned, NOT. I went through 5 adjusters that came out to inspect my vehicle. I had to run off the road and hit the shoulder because of the driver's carelessness. I suffered damages to my vehicle and bodily damage. Reta said for my inconvenience, broken glasses, and days out of work, I was offer $1700! WOW!

After my vehicle was repaired, my attorney told me that I was entitled to diminished value for my vehicle. Reta ** told me that I had a car accident on my vehicle in June 2010. I told her that was a lie. I never had an accident with my vehicle. ** stated she could not give me diminished value because that is what her report showed. I went to the NCDMV office in Raleigh.

I stayed there 3 hours and went to several departments to get proof that, again she was a liar. NCDMV stated they were the only "Real Official Title" agency in North Carolina to get an official title history. My title history showed no accidents on my vehicle from the time it left the manufacturer until I purchased the vehicle from a dealership. I was the second owner. I have since file a complaint with the NC Insurance Commissioner. I am hoping that Progressive be fined or lose their license to practice insurance in North Carolina. They are very rude people and it was not my fault. Their insurer was 100% at fault... hailing hay to go feed her horses and endangering other people lives. The animals were going to be fine.

Original review: April 23, 2018

Purchasing with Progressive Auto Insurance was really easy. The simplicity of it all. They are always so polite, informative and eager to please their customers. I like that they are quick to respond. They were at my house doing the quote for an accident within 5 hrs. Then within a week I had my settlement. However, their prices are way too high. But I have found them to be the best so I'll pay it.

Original review: April 23, 2018

I had an accident that was not my fault at all and Progressive was helpful. And when I had an accident, they were super easy to work with and were right there when I needed them. Everything was done in a very timely manner. My overall experience with Progressive has been very good. I do wish that they had a local office though. I would have liked it if they had a representative that could have met with me face to face. I really wish that they had been a little more into the whole communication thing.

Original review: April 23, 2018

Progressive Auto Insurance's price is good. Plus, they have fast action on accident's questions. I enjoy going there and the people are nice and courteous. They help work with you when you need to make payment arrangements and schedule your payments at a certain time. I can do it online or over the phone. Generally the best company around.

Original review: April 23, 2018

Purchasing the insurance was a very easy process. The representatives were very helpful and very informative. They answered all questions I had and made the whole process run smoothly. I really like that my policies for both vehicles were at a cheap rate. I like their tier plan to where you can earn more incentives the longer you have been with them. I find that very rewarding and gives incentive to stay with the company and not to shop around for cheaper car insurance. But I wish Progressive included free accident forgiveness immediately and not after 5 years of being with the company. It would bring in more clientele for them as well as make their customers a lot happier.

Original review: April 23, 2018

They were ok despite but frequent price increases. Have up to date detailed information on any changes to policy and they had good service if involved in auto accident. But they need to be more compassionate about what their customers are going through. I liked them till they dropped me when I divorced. They should have offered me some kind of insurance when I needed them. I helped make the payments and felt left out in the cold. I may try them again someday but not currently interested in them unless they offer me a deal too good to pass up.

Original review: April 23, 2018

I went through an agency who found my insurance for me, taking into account cost, and my expectations. I have always thought Progressive Auto Insurance cared about their customers even when we were not able to work out mutually beneficial agreements, it still felt like they sympathized. Also, I like their customer service, that I'm always able to talk to a real person within a reasonable time frame. They have also been flexible to my situation in the past, which is invaluable. However, often when calling in off hours, their customer service people are obviously not in this country. Sometimes their accents are so thick that it is difficult to understand them, and on one occasion they had trouble understanding me. But overall, my experience has been good.

Original review: April 23, 2018

I like that, in order to give the consumer, myself the best coverage for the most competitive rate, they compare prices & coverage with other competitors and share that information with the consumers so we know exactly how much money were saving. I would replace the woman they use in all of their marketing ads, Flo. She's really annoying and she's been on for far too long. Overall, I've had great experience in setting up, discussing and determining which policies are the best match for myself and my family. Every single transaction and conversations with Progressive agents has been excellent & I'm very pleased by how I'm treated. They have great customer service and everyone should consider Progressive and give them a chance.

Original review: April 23, 2018

I liked that they offered paperless billing and auto pay because I did not have to remember to pay the bill monthly. The policy offered uninsured motorist which I liked because not everyone carries insurance like they are supposed to. I also liked that they were available anytime online or by phone because accidents happen and not always during normal business hours. But I did not like that they did not notify me when my rates would go up, even without having any accidents. When we would call or go online for their 24-hour service, the customer service was subpar and the majority of the time the individual on the other end of the phone call seemed rude and bothered that we called.

Our overall experience with this company was not well. The policies they offered at their "competitive rates" was generally higher than the company we are currently with. They wanted to charge more even when we were accident-free and their customer service was a big turn off. We switched to Geico and now have all the coverage we need at less than what we were paying through Progressive.

Original review: April 23, 2018

This was my first auto insurance policy. It was extremely expensive because I was a young, inexperienced driver. Any insurance would have been expensive, so I chose the one with the best service and reputation. Great customer service and a variety of options to fit your needs and budget. The claims process is clear and uncomplicated as well. They make everything easy for you. The only problem I had was the price.

Original review: April 23, 2018

Progressive provides the Lowest premiums with my new driver being added to the policy. Love the Gap coverage. Easy website makes buying policy and claim reporting easy. I was able to change desires coverages in order to see price differences. They have great service after filing a claim or when I have general policy questions as well. But I did not find that the renters insurance policy provided a competitive premium though so I have to use a different company for that coverage. Overall, my experience over the last 3 years has been extremely positive.

Original review: April 23, 2018

I have Progressive and I have a great experience. The workers are great and I like the company. Customer service is great, never rude, always answers your questions on time and in a friendly matter, and they will let you know if you're late. They're always there when I need help or when I have a issue. For the most part they really work with you on what your price range is and will let you get an extension if you need one. They have good rates but they need more valuable rates.

Original review: April 23, 2018

It's always a pain to enroll with an insurance company no matter the size big or small. Also it is always very time consuming to call, to enroll, and to get any help or any information. With a bigger company like Progressive...I like the most is its Easy access to call and they are Usually always available because of the 24 hour customer service they provide to their customers. Unlike a local company, with them, you get what you need when you need it without any hassle. I love that. But price is the most major issue to me as a customer. So when doing my shopping this is what I look for first and go to the best company for the best price. That's why I cancelled my coverage with Pogressive. They say they are the cheapest but they aren't.

Progressive Auto Insurance Company Information