2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

2.0/5 (143 ratings)
Compare Quotes on Quotewizard

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

About Progressive Auto Insurance

Progressive sells several different types of vehicle and property insurance. It’s one of the largest auto insurers in the U.S. and offers competitive rates as well as a wide range of discounts, particularly for students, safe drivers and policyholders who make automatic payments.

Pros

• Various discounts
  • Competitive rates
  • Large service area
  • Multiple policy options

Cons

• Prices vary depending on how you buy
  • Some discounts not in some states
  • Not many in-person services

Bottom Line

Progressive offers low-cost car insurance, including options for young drivers. It's ideal for those who want affordable auto coverage and don't mind managing their policies entirely online.

Top Progressive Auto Insurance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

My experience has always been great. When I had to call to report that I had been in an accident, their first question was always "Are you OK? have you been hurt?" They had my bac...

Verified

Brian **, is the claims representative that I’m working with! I’m not the insured customer for this company, you’d never know the difference! Brian is SO accommodating, patient an...

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

About Progressive auto insurance

Progressive is one of America's largest auto insurance companies, serving more than 20 million drivers. The company offers competitive rates in every state and an easy-to-use website with several helpful features and resources.

Progressive auto coverage

Progressive offers basic auto coverage options, which include bodily injury liability, property damage liability, medical payments, comprehensive, collision and uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage. It also has some add-on coverage options, such as:

• Roadside assistance: Pays for emergency services like towing or help with a breakdown or flat tire.
  • Custom parts and equipment protection: If your car has special features like custom wheels, this policy protects them.
  • Rental reimbursement: Covers the cost of a rental car while your vehicle is being replaced or repaired due to a covered accident.
  • Deductible savings bank: Can help save money during each policy period you don’t make a claim.
  • Ride-share: Protects ride-share drivers. It covers your car even when your commercial policy gaps.

Progressive also offers commercial and classic car coverage, as well as insurance for travel in Mexico.

Progressive auto insurance quotes and costs

Progressive rates are determined by coverage type, location and the driver’s age and driving record. An average Progressive policy for someone with a good driving record is about $192 per month, but it could cost as little as $47 monthly. Progressive also offers many discounts, which can make your policy even more affordable. Here’s a look at some discounts that could apply to you:

• Safe driving
  • Homeowner
  • Online quote
  • Pay in full
  • Automatic payment

Progressive also has some handy comparison tools on its website to help you find the right policy for your budget.

Progressive auto insurance FAQ

Does Progressive offer full coverage car insurance?
Progressive doesn’t advertise full coverage policies, but it does offer liability insurance and several additional and customizable coverages.
Does Progressive have accident forgiveness?
Yes. In most states, Progressive offers accident forgiveness through its loyalty rewards program.
Where is Progressive car insurance available?
Progressive car insurance is available in all 50 states.
Does Progressive offer rental car coverage?
Yes, Progressive offers rental car coverage while your car is replaced or repaired due to a covered incident.

Is Progressive car insurance good?

Yes, Progressive is a good auto insurance provider that's available nationwide. While it doesn’t have many agents, Progressive offers reasonable rates online, which you can purchase directly via its website. Overall, its competitive rates, handy add-on coverages like gap and rideshare insurance and various rewards and discounts make Progressive a pretty solid auto insurance pick.

Progressive Auto Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Progressive Auto Insurance?

Original review: Dec. 5, 2020

I have been incredibly satisfied with Progressive insurance. I appreciated having the snapshot device to use when I switched to Progressive to help me be more aware of how I was driving. I was thrilled that when I moved to a different zip code I saved more money. I was also pleased that during Covid, Progressive introduced the Blue Apron Program which gave money back to its customers. Their website is easy to navigate and their customer service is great.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2020

I found out this Agency from a friend. Wow! I was more than impressed with the agent's upbeat and assuring attitude. She knew the different policies and explained each one in plain details, not a lot of jive. She went through each one and noted pros and cons. She found discounts and applied them to afford me the most reasonable quotes for my policy. Instantly I had my documentation that were required and I am a happy camper. Note: Customer service is everything but the company's Service Representatives truly make the difference. 5 star care isn't just given, it's earned. I highly recommend them.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2020

Signing up for a new policy on my van was incredibly easy and the price was so competitive too! I was able to do it all online without the hassle of talking to a salesperson, which I appreciated. I even was able to download my insurance card and all of the related documents as soon as I signed up. I've been very pleased with Progressive and even after shopping around, found theirs to be the best price of all. I highly recommend them as an insurance company for your automobile.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2020

I’ve been a customer with Progressive for three years now and they seem to be the cheapest out all the ones I searched online for I was able to do my entire quote online and was able to get everything I wanted on my policy and was even able to purchase at a cheaper price because I did it online and saved even more by having automatic withdrawal. I’ve shopped around a lot and Progressive had the cheapest for my needs. I have no problems

Original review: Nov. 21, 2020

Progressive is easy to manage your account online but I missed the personal touch. There isn't just one agent that you build a relationship with and that person be your contact for questions or issues. I had my home and car with them and each one increased every year without explanation. When I called the call center, I was given the explanation of the cost of doing business increases. When I asked for help to review my policies, there were no suggestions on how I could save money. The personal touch is what I needed. After many years I looked for and found everything I needed. I left Progressive. Not a bad company, just wasn't what I wanted and needed.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2021

If you get into an accident, do not expect that they will provide you with any service that you paid for in a prompt manner, such as a car rental. I, personally, had to go through hoops to just get an approval number and it came over a day late, which was extremely frustrating. But what is worse is their claims adjusters and department. They are lazy and incompetent. They are not your advocate and only seek to reach a judgement quickly because you, a paying customer, is nothing more than a hassle. And raising your premium matters little to this company. I would look elsewhere and even pay a bit more for better service. Biggest regret is going with this company because they were cheaper. Learned the hard way that you do indeed get what you pay for.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2021

New car < 3 yr old. Never serviced outside the dealership. Progressive refused to pay for a Toyota part AND refused to pay the dealer's labor rate. Cheap insurance is not worth the 50% increase in repairs. Hard Pass.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2021

I bought an auto policy. Paid entire year. On the last month of the policy, I asked for a quote for a new replacement vehicle. The quote was way higher than other competitors, so I cancelled the policy 12 days before the end and was slapped with a $30 cancellation fee, OUTRAGEOUS! WHAT A RIP OFF. I can't believe the insurance commission allows them to get away with this! I will never use them again and do not recommend anyone else either!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2021

I was in an accident, they blamed me for part of it. I wasn't at fault for any of the accident. I have over 5000 in damages on my car. Progressive gave me 958, I couldn't fix the bumper for that. Now I'm left without a car to drive and I work over 30 miles away.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2021

Horrible customer service, professionals at hanging up. They're not there for you in any way, shape or form when you need them. The claims department couldn’t care less about your claim. The stress of dealing with Progressive is borderline criminal.

Progressive Auto Insurance Company Information