3.4/5 (2420 ratings)
Compare Quotes on Quotewizard

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

About Nationwide Insurance - Auto

Nationwide provides auto insurance for drivers across the country. It’s a mutual insurance company entirely owned by its policyholders, so it has the ability to focus on clients without having to cater to investors. Nationwide offers basic, standard and premium coverages and a range of add-ons and discounts.

Pros

• Customizable policies
  • Highly rated customer service
  • Many discount options

Cons

• Not available in all states
  • Expensive policies

Bottom Line

Nationwide is an auto insurance provider with highly customizable coverage options, a well-established reputation and agents throughout the country. It’s not available in all states, though, and its policies can be pricey.

Top Nationwide Insurance - Auto Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I switched to Nationwide recently from Progressive… 2 weeks into my switch I left my sunroof open during a storm and had very bad mold damage. I could not have been more pleased w...

Verified

I've had Nationwide for decades and have always been happy with my coverage and service. On the few occasions I've needed to file a claim they have responded rapidly, and took car...

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

What is Nationwide car insurance?

Nationwide is one of the largest insurance providers in the U.S. It provides flexible auto coverage and services in select states across the nation. The company offers reliable and affordable car insurance with customizable policies so you can create and pay only for the coverage you need.

Nationwide car insurance coverage

Nationwide offers typical policies that are highly customizable. Its coverage includes:

• Bodily injury liability: Helps pay for medical bills or loss of income due to an accident you caused.
  • Property damage liability: Aids in covering damages to another person's vehicle or property due to a covered accident you caused.
  • Personal injury protection: Can help with medical bills and loss of income due to a covered accident.
  • Uninsured or underinsured motorist: Covers costs if you’re hit by someone with no or insufficient auto insurance.
  • Medical payments: Helps pay for medical expenses if injuries from a covered auto accident put you or your passenger(s) in the hospital.

Nationwide also offers several other customizable coverage options, including collision, comprehensive, rental car, towing and labor and more.

Nationwide auto insurance quotes and costs

Nationwide doesn’t have a set rate for auto insurance, but its average annual policy costs seem to land around $1,864. This is a bit pricey; however, rates depend on your customizations and coverage needs. Other factors that affect your car insurance rates include your age, location and driving record. We recommend getting a quote based on your exact needs and situation. Keep in mind Nationwide does offer discounts and money-saving programs, including:

• SmartRide: Discount based on a device that tracks how safely you drive; you get 10% off just for enrolling and up to 40% off depending on your driving.
  • SmartMiles: Mileage-based discount; the less you drive, the less you pay.
  • Vanishing Deductible: Earn credit toward your deductible after three years of safe driving with no claims.

Nationwide car insurance FAQ

Does Nationwide have accident forgiveness?
Yes, Nationwide does offer accident forgiveness as add-on coverage.
Where is Nationwide car insurance available?
Nationwide is available in all states except Alaska, Hawaii, Louisiana and Massachusetts.
Does Nationwide have a full coverage car insurance plan?
Yes, Nationwide offers full coverage that's highly customizable.
Does Nationwide cover windshield repair?
Yes, Nationwide does offer windshield repair.

Is Nationwide car insurance good?

Nationwide offers legit and highly customizable auto insurance. Although its policies can be pricey, it could be worth it if you want the reliability of a well-established and financially stable insurance company. Its plans are also highly customizable. Especially if you have a clean driving record and can install its SmartRide device to gain discounts, Nationwide might be worth the extra cost.

Nationwide Insurance - Auto Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nationwide Insurance - Auto?

Original review: May 24, 2022

A Nationwide policyholder was not watching traffic slow down so he rear ended me. Then lied to shift his blame. Nationwide said they’d go by the police report but now refuse. In so many ways it’s obvious that it was their policyholder’s fault but they refuse to look at it. They don’t want to take responsibility. They want to see it their way and refuse to look at the facts objectively. Nationwide is not on the side of truth.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2021

Due to an extremely windy day, I ran out of gas on I-90. My mistake. Didn’t pay attention to the gauge because usually I can make it 450+ miles on a tank. Call NW. It’s an hour before they get a service to help me AND they are an hour away. Sat on the side of the road in windy, freezing conditions. Then the service tech makes me pay for the gas out of my own pocket. $7.25 a gallon. All I have is $20, so he gladly pockets the rest. No one at Nationwide really cares, no apology, no sorry to hear that, etc. Shopping for new insurance after being with Nationwide for 13 years.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2021

AVOID Nationwide. I had my car insurance with them for 49 years. Changed a vehicle and they jacked me around on billing for 4 months so badly that I finally cancelled. It was a nightmare. Went with another well known insurer. Better coverage at 40% less cost. Bye Bye Nationwide....

Original review: Oct. 15, 2021

I have never had such a hard time with my Insurance Company, I have spent over 2 weeks trying to get my ID cards to prove I have covered insurance, they want to charge me an extra $31.00 to mail it, they assure me it is on line, but the cards are for April 20, 2021-Oct 20, 2021. This is expiring in 5 days, but who cares. I am so tired of trying to get what is due to me, I don't know what kind of policy. I have nothing. And of course I have made over 5 calls and the representatives that answer the phone knows nothing and when you asked for a call back, of course you get again nothing. But they have no problem taking money out of my account every month. Can someone please help me with Nationwide.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2021

Caught a flat at 10am, called Nationwide immediately. Was given an ETA of an hour - all the while, the app was not updating the service provider's ETA. I call again to find that the company was NEVER coming. At 11:57, I get assigned a new provider whose ETA says 60min again. Same thing happening with the app. 60min passes and I call again to find out the ETA has been moved yet again to an hour or more!! It is now 2pm!!!! ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS SERVICE!!! Why are you all contracting very shady companies who are ALL reviewed horribly on BBB?! For insurance quotes as expensive as this, I am HIGHLY dissatisfied with the quality of service and LACK OF URGENCY. If this is to be expected every time I need roadside assistance, I will be switching insurance companies ASAP!!!

Original review: Aug. 29, 2021

They arbitrarily denied my claim. They did not come to look at my car and had they done their job they would not have been able to deny it because it clearly shows that their insured was at fault. When I spoke to a team member in the claims department I was told the claim was denied because there were conflicting statements between myself and the woman who backed into my car. I asked to speak with the woman who denied my claim and was told she would call me and she didn’t. I haven’t been able to reach her since.

Original review: March 3, 2021

I found out that Nationwide Insurance's view of negotiation was 'it our way or the highway'. They were very unreasonable to work with and the amount they were offering was well below what I could replace the vehicle for, with the same make, model and mileage. I would only deal with them if I wanted cut-rate insurance coverage.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2021

Customer for 18 years, Home & Auto. Never had a single problem, payments always made on time. I set up auto pay to pay my bill every month at the 24th for as long as I can remember. 2 months ago I moved out of the state of Maryland, I own properties in two states. My Maryland home had not been sold but had been placed on the market. I submitted a change of address to the Post office and requested mail be FWD to my new address. A non account specific letter (junk mail) from Nationwide was Returned to Sender rather than FWD by the post office. Nationwide has some policy to Cancel any Auto payments upon notice that a customer no longer lives at the address on record. NO email notification, No phone call notification, auto payment canceled. NO notice of payment not made, I check two weeks later policy canceled.

I had the options to reinstate which I did immediately. After reinstatement I was told that I was no longer able to set up auto pay and payments must be made directly. That my January payment had been covered with my reinstatement cost and my next payment was due in February. They DID NOT tell me that Direct payments have a DIFFERENT due date than scheduled auto payments. I set a calendar reminder to make my payment Feb 24th, like I have done for years, while I was still on the phone with the agent!

Surprise... Direct payments are due on the 3rd, I log in to make my Feb 24th payment, my policy is canceled AGAIN. AGAIN with NO contact via email or phone or mail. "It is the customer's responsibility to make sure all payments are made on time." Nationwide will not reinstate me as a customer. State of Maryland charges $150 per vehicle from the day your policy is canceled and Most insurance companies will not cover you without prior insurance which I now don't have. This is ridiculous customer service after years of loyal ON TIME payments.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2020

We had to file a claim for one of our properties and I cannot recommend Nationwide enough. We got payment within 2 weeks of the incident and it was very professionally handled. All the construction people said that this timing is unheard of from an insurance company. I will be a customer for life. Thank you so much Nationwide for making this event a very positive experience.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2020

When offers signed up with this company I thought the prices were great. However within 6 months my premium went up for no reason. Their prices are too high and your best bet is to keep searching for automobile insurance. And don't even try to get a refund because I'm trying now. I canceled the policy and don't do the electronic funds either out of your account. It is horrendous trying to get your money back from them. And when you call in to make a change on your account you get someone from another state not the state that you live in. And the Smart Ride app don't even do it. It's worthless.

Nationwide Insurance - Auto Company Information