2. Finance

MetLife Life

3.5/5 (184 ratings)

Find Life Insurance Companies partners near you

About MetLife Life

MetLife provides home, auto and health insurance to clients in the United States.

Find Life Insurance Companies partners near you

MetLife Life Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MetLife Life?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about MetLife?

Original review: Oct. 21, 2021

My mother was gifted a Metlife whole life policy for her 16th birthday in 1943 for the sum of $1000. She recently passed this year. The total value of the policy today is $1526.25, a total appreciation of 52.6% after 78 years! If the policy even kept up with inflation, it would be worth $15,856.07 today! Basically, this amounts to spitting on my mother's grave. These people are crooks, don't deal with them.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2021

My mom passed away in 2006 but this company MetLife thought that they were smart. When Social Security said that I had $17,000 in their possession they had told me I can wait 10 days and I'm going to send me a letter in the mail telling me how much I have to pay in order to get my insurance. As soon as I waited the 10 days I called them for receive anything and they told me I wasn't eligible anymore. The page that I had found from disappeared. Luckily I copied it before that, they change the date of her death and I never got paid into this day. I'm still fighting it. I would stay away from this company is very terrible. I have to relive my mother's death every single day and I have no idea who to talk to so beware.

Get buying tips about Life Insurance Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2021

Horrible company, first you are connected to a robot, keeps asking for the same information. After waiting 15 minutes while artificial typing in the background, you are connected to an agent, who does everything in her power to prevent you from cashing out of the policy. Finally you are told that you have wait two weeks to hear from them whether they will allow you to cash out of the policy.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2021

I lost my copy of my Metropolitan Life insurance policy in a move. With most insurance companies, you can obtain policy information quickly on line. Not MetLife. Their website was down, so I contacted their customer service to obtain a copy of my policy. I was told that I need a pin to access my account. I asked for a pin and was told they have to mail it (not text or email, but send it via U.S. mail). I'm not kidding! I asked them to email a copy of my policy, and was transferred to an unmanned telephone number. Estimated time 5+ business days for the pin. I am watching my mail for a pin to log into my account. Consider this when you are looking for insurance!

Original review: Aug. 13, 2021

I had a Metlife life insurance policy since I was a child. Noticed recently that my mother who has passed was my beneficiary. I called them and he sent me a 5 page form to put my kids on the policy. Got their SS numbers, filled out the forms, sent it in. Did not make copies cause this is a simple request, and I shredded their SS numbers. Did I get to do it? No, I get a nasty letter that I had neglected one signature of an uninterested party and supposedly my whole 5 page request was destroyed. And included back to me was a 10 page form!!!! What???? If I die tomorrow, who gets my money?

Luckily, my brother in law said cancel the policy, and get the cash value. Good idea. One of the nice phone guys sent me another 5 page form to fill out. This time I made copies, had a lawyer check it, since I was doing my Will anyway. Then called them back again....Many calls by this time!!! Went thru the form again with the phone guy!!! Wasted many hours of their time and certainly my time!!! Yes, I got the money!!! This could have been so simple.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2021

I submitted an auto claim which was not looked at till a week later. My car was hit by another car while it was parked in a parking lot. I call and leave messages, nobody call back. Very very bad customer service. If you looking for a piece of mind then MetLife is not your insurance company.

Original review: May 22, 2021

Summarize go away from this company in UAE. I had Business in my country and need bank account in UAE and RAK bank representative forced me to buy Metlife policy to open account to my company without any Auditing (Blackmail). My question are head office in USA knew what Metlife UAE did and how they sell their policies ???? For years I try contact them to cash back my policy but couldn't reach them then when I moved to Canada I successfully got them and sent them all surrender filled forms. They told me they will deduct 55000 US$ because I not trust them I said ok. They told me they need 10 working days to transfer surrender value then they said they need 3 days to review then they didn't answer my emails since month ???? I need one from the head office contact me. I have all evidences of what I said and I need my money back. I feel stolen. They are cheater.

Original review: May 21, 2021

Frustration, irritation, regret - that's all I feel dealing with this company. To start with I was badly disinformed about the policy. I was told I can withdraw my money without any loss after the 1st year. In reality for 5 years I can't withdraw money without high charges. Secondly, to move money to different funds, I have to submit signature and come in person every time. I don't have a car, so traveling down to their office in Dubai is bad. Last time I tried to change the funds, I had to appear in person 3 times, because signature won't match! Finally I couldn't move my funds and I lost the opportunity to make at least something. I also have to say that while the value of my investment didn't grow, I was heavily charged with fees. With MetLife investments I'm loosing money every year. All I wanted in some security in life. Instead I got headache and stress.

Original review: March 31, 2021

MetLife Insurance Helpful Suggestions. I recently had a terrible experience with Metlife (ML) while trying to surrender 3 life ins policies and collect the associated cash values. The issue was finally resolved after 6 Months of extreme frustration. I would like to offer suggestions from my experience that may prove helpful to those having difficulty with ML. Per my case (individual life ins purchased 30 yrs ago by Mother for 3 grandchildren).... ML no longer sells independent life ins policies and will not meet face to face to discuss such policies with anyone, anywhere, at any time. Despite what customer service reps say, ML will only respond via mail and claim delivery may take 15 days. ML will not confirm delivery of or reply to faxes or emails. ML will not return phone calls.

ML rep may or may not offer to mail you the necessary forms which could take a month – BUT you can access the forms immediately at ML self-service here, https://www.metlife.com/support-and-manage/current-customers/individual-life-insurance/self-service/. Call the help # on the form to ensure entries are suitable as forms are not user friendly and will be rejected if not entered a certain way which you won’t know until a letter arrives in mail a month or so later.

Example – How to surrender a life ins policy and collect cash value...For life ins – owner is the purchaser, insured may be someone else (ex. Grandchildren), beneficiaries are specified in policy. When owner dies, ownership automatically transfers to their estate. ML requires court documents from will probate process to identify executor of estate. The executor can then transfer ownership of the policies from the estate to themself by submitting the Absolute Assignment form (see self-service link above). The new policy owner can then surrender the policy and receive cash value by submitting the Full Policy Surrender Request form (see self-service link above).

For best results I strongly recommend accessing the forms from self-service link then fax AND email all necessary forms at the same time (to avoid the month-to-month mailing runaround). Then call customer service to verify receipt. Forms will likely involve dozens of pages with some requiring witness signatures, etc... If dissatisfied with ML service, file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and/or your State Corporation Commission. I believe both will intervene with ML on your behalf. Again, these comments are based on my personal experience. If you received better service, great. If you had difficulty like me I hope you find these suggestions helpful. Good Luck !

Original review: March 8, 2021

My father died January 2 2021. He has a small group life insurance through Ford motor company. It’s 60 days and zero contact from MetLife, unless we call. They said it’s under a internal review. They can’t tell us why or give any timeline. 2 weeks ago they told us they were still looking for paperwork from Ford after we told them we spoke with them. It changed to internal review and they didn’t need anything from us, but can’t tell us what’s going on.

Take a Life Insurance Quiz. Get matched with an Authorized Partner.

MetLife author review by Neal Frankle

Headquartered in New York City, MetLife, Inc. is the holding company for Metropolitan Life Insurance Company (Met Life). The parent company (MetLife, Inc.) is one of the largest insurance sales companies in the world — MetLife, Inc. has over 90 million customers in over 60 countries across the globe.

• Wide range of products: Besides offering a complete line of life insurance, Met also sells auto, dental, disability, long-term care, and small-business insurance.

• Competitive: Met is often very competitive in a variety of different product markets.

• Convenient: Provides one-stop shopping for customers who value that service.

• Convenience: Customers may become complacent and opt for the convenience of having one company handle all their insurance needs rather than shop for the best product for each area.

• Risk: Having one company provide all the insurance needs for an individual or company increases risk.

by Neal Frankle Life Insurance Contributing Editor

Neal Frankle is a Certified Financial Planner in Los Angeles. He is the publisher of WealthPilgrim.com, an information resource for consumers. He has been a professional financial advisor since 1991 and is the editor of www.MCMHA.org.

MetLife Life Company Information