2. Automotive
MetLife Auto

MetLife Auto

4.1/5 (952 ratings)
Find a Car Insurance partner

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

About MetLife Auto

MetLife provides home, auto and health insurance throughout the U.S. It offers auto coverage through its website, as well as through some employers. The company provides highly customizable car insurance policies, affordable rates and special discounts, including workplace deals.

Pros

• MyDirect online portal
  • Easy-to-use website
  • Highly customizable

Cons

• Some coverage can be pricey
  • Online portal unavailable for some

Bottom Line

MetLife offers quality auto insurance at affordable rates. Its highly customizable policies include add-on options like identity theft and legal fee coverage. Policyholders can make claims online through its MyDirect portal.

Top MetLife Auto Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about MetLife Auto Insurance?

Verified

Verified

Purchasing from MetLife Auto was a great experience, fast and easy! They were right on the ball and did not try to sell me anything I did not want… Customer service is great, help...

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

What is MetLife auto insurance?

MetLife is a provider that partners with businesses to offer employees auto insurance. It also provides direct coverage through its website. Its customizable insurance features various add-on options, like identity theft and enhanced car rental damage coverage. The company’s 24/7 customer service reps can help you file claims and point you to programs and discounts so you can get the best rates. MetLife also offers special workplace and association discounts.

How does MetLife auto insurance work?

If you're interested in MetLife’s low-cost insurance and various discounts, you can get a free quote on its website; just enter your ZIP code and answer a few quick questions. MetLife will then provide your auto insurance options, each within a different coverage tier, based on your needs. You can then select the coverage you’d like. Once you're a MetLife member, you can easily make changes to your policies online.

Additional coverage options MetLife offers include:

• New car replacement: If you have a new car, MetLife will replace it in the event it's totaled in a covered accident.
  • Major parts replacement: Although not available in all states, this coverage replaces significant car parts damaged in a covered accident.
  • Gap coverage: This helps cover the insurance gap if you're still making payments on your totaled car.
  • Ride-share coverage: This coverage guarantees you and your vehicle are fully covered if you work for a ride-share company.
  • Legal defense coverage: This helps with legal fees associated with a covered accident.
  • Sound system coverage: If you’ve installed a fancy sound system, this protection ensures it stays in great shape.
  • Identity theft coverage: This coverage helps keep your identity protected and restores your info in the event it’s stolen.

MetLife auto insurance quotes and rates

MetLife auto insurance rates depend on several variables, like driver’s age, location, driving record and more. The company seems to offer rates slightly cheaper than some other providers list — overall, though, its rates can be fairly high without discounts, averaging about $486 for six-month coverage without add-ons. Some discounts that can bring down your costs include:

• Good driver
  • Defensive driving course
  • Association
  • Multipolicy
  • Good student
  • MyJourney
  • Deductible savings

Metlife Auto Insurance FAQ

Does MetLife cover windshield replacement?
Yes, MetLife offers windshield replacement within its special parts replacement coverage.
Does MetLife have accident forgiveness?
No, MetLife does not offer accident forgiveness.
What does MetLife auto insurance cover?
MetLife auto insurance covers basics like liability and collision protection, as well as add-ons like sound system and identity theft coverage.
Is MetLife auto insurance available everywhere?
MetLife is available in all 50 states.

Is MetLife auto insurance good?

MetLife is a good company with solid auto coverage and numerous discount options, including workplace deals. It's best for those who qualify for some of its discounts or who want specific and customizable coverage, such as legal fee, identity theft or sound system protection.

MetLife Auto Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MetLife Auto?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about MetLife Auto Insurance?

Original review: Aug. 11, 2021

Metlife should not be in the insurance business. Let me tell my story. My car was hit while it was parked. I filed a claim to MetLife, expecting to hear from within 24 hours, unfortunately a week later. An adjuster from MetLife called and left a message. I called back to find out that The person Who is working on my claim is on a vacation and will not be back in the office till ten days later. Hello hello please get out of the insurance business. Worst insurance company ever.

Original review: July 2, 2021

Not on your side. Metlife/Farmers seem to forget you are the customer. Tend to be argumentative in discussions with them almost to the point of verbally aggressive. Your input isn't really listened to. They fabricate some of the facts to suit their argument. Be Careful.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2020

I have been a loyal customer since 1998 for both auto and home. Tonight, Oct. 5, 2020, I was on hold for 40 minutes and then spoke to a rep to simply cancel my auto on my Honda. Carlos said it was done and I asked to be transferred to tech support because I was locked out of my account. I was on hold for 30 minutes. That rep could not get me onto my account. He tried for an hour without success. He gave me a ticket number and said someone would contact me in the next 5 days.

Someone said that the last time I called but no one has contacted me. I asked the second rep if my policy on my Honda was canceled and he said it was not. So what Carlos did I do not know! I will be canceling as soon as I can get into my account or speak to a rep that can actually help me. If you are currently shopping for insurance and customer service is important to you, MetLife is not your company. It is nigh to impossible to get with a rep and when you do they are incapable of remedying problems.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2020

I’ve filed 1 claim and was informed 8 months later that I am being dropped in the middle of Covid. These representatives are all foreign and can hardly speak English. They will not explain their rationale and deserve a gigantic class action lawsuit. This company is a scam, they have taken my money every single month for 3 years and the second you need the actual service they drop you and kick you to the curb.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

I have a customer waiting at my dealership for the last 6 hours waiting for a stamped RMV form. They gave me 3 different numbers to send it to. Only last one worked and still waiting. Terrible phone system. It took me 10 minutes each time I call to get a person and then they can not transfer me to the right people. They just say they have no idea how long it will take.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

I have a really good agent that discovered I had too much insurance on my house, between that and other discounts she saved me lots of money. I have had one accident and called the 800# and they made the process painless.

Original review: June 29, 2020

I had just made the first payment on my auto insurance policy from MetLife when I had my accident. However this company paid for everything, the towing, the doctor Bill's and the entire estimated cost of the vehicle. This company is absolutely awesome. If you're looking to insure your vehicle don't look any further than MetLife. This is a loyal and reliable company.

Original review: May 12, 2020

I've been with Metlife Auto for 40 yrs. I've also been in Health Care for the same amount of time. I ran over a tractor trailer tire in the middle of the hwy at 4:30am on my way to the Hospital. I'm 6mo away from retirement at 69. I was told that because my car had 215,000 miles on it that the $4000 repairs were cause to total my car. I explained the above to several reps and that all I wanted was to have my car fixed so I could make it to the end of the yr without incurring additional financial burden having to purchase another car, thus delaying my retirement.

They charged me the deductible, even though nothing was fixed. The car, a 2012 Hyundai, was in very good mechanical condition. They paid me about $3500. as what they felt the car was worth. I had to buy a new car for $19,000. In this time of crisis, when other auto insurance companies are giving back, Metlife is only looking out for their investors, not their policyholders. Being a Healthcare worker, a 40 yr policyholder and a 9 yr Vietnam vet and a senior seems to holds no water with them. I talked to a number of people in Metlife. It's like talking to a brick wall. This is not the first incident that I've taken issue with, with Metlife. I am leaving them and going to another insurance company. You should too, before it costs you.

Original review: May 8, 2020

Someone with MetLife auto insurance destroyed my car. After 2 months I am trying to have my money back from a rental car that I paid from my pocket and they just lying, it was not my fault and I sent the copy of the bills, every week they says something different and do not pay me back. It is a nightmare, stay away from this company.

Original review: May 5, 2020

I have been with MetLife Auto for a quite a few years. Always paid my bill on time, not one ticket or accident. In February this year I was on my way home and a man hit me head on. The man didn't have enough insurance to cover for my car that had only 8,000 miles. MetLife ended up covering it, with that being said the man got the ticket yet metlife found a loophole and canceled my policy. When I found out they canceled it I got another insurance. Then they had the nerve to take my insurance out anyways when I found out they had not even covered me the whole month. Called for a supervisor no response. Go figure. Wrote a letter to commissioner of insurance. They said get a lawyer. It has been a headache. So no, I absolutely do not recommend them. Especially when they terminate your policy for a wreck you didn't cause.

MetLife Auto Company Information