Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans

Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans

MedPlan Reviews

Original review: Oct. 15, 2016

This company is claiming they are selling health insurance when in fact it is just a discount card you are getting. They take your money and say you have 30 days to cancel. I called the next day and didn't get any response to my request to cancel. After 3 days I finally get someone to cancel but would not refund the entire amount. They told me after 3 days you don't get your application fee back. This is a company that is just out to take your money under the false pretense that

you're getting health insurance. When you figure it out and cancel they use the scam of keeping your application fee. I was never told anything except I had 30 days to cancel and that's it. This company is in the business of lying to get people's money and that's it.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2007

On Nov. 6, 2001, I received a call from MedPlan insurance. I thought that this was an insurance company that I had inquired about online, because I had a new baby; it wasn't. I don't remember who I spoke with, but she told me that I would get the first month free to try out their insurance, but to write a check for $20 in my checkbook, void the check and give them my accounting and routing number. I was told it would cost $349 a year but doing the math now 12 months times $20 isn't $349. I was put on hold to speak to a verifier, a male who asked me routine yes or no questions about my address, name, account. I didn't hear him say anything about taking the $349 out of my account all at once. The verification number they gave me was **.

I received the statement from my bank that had insufficient funds due to the removal of that money. I didn't realize it until I saw the computerized letter what happened to the money. When I received their benefits package, I realized it wasn't an insurance company like they had claimed. I called them to cancel immediately and was told I would be getting a refund. Thinking that it was over with, I threw out my packet. Every time I called to ask about my refund, I asked them why they wanted me to write the initial $20 check if they weren't going to take out $20 and no one could answer that for me.

The second time I called, I was told it would take a month for my refund to process, and each time I called I was told longer and longer, 60 days, 90 days. The third call the lady was very rude, but played the tape for me "apparently agreeing", but still under the idea that it was an insurance company. She used a horribly offensive analogy about whether I would allow someone to throw my child off a building even if I didn't hear them say that is what they were planning. I then asked to speak to her manager and instead was given to an answering machine. I never did hear back from them.

A letter similar to this one was sent to the Colorado Division of Insurance Investigations, the Better Business Bureau of Upstate South Carolina and the Colorado Attorney General's office. All of these resources led me right to where I am now... nowhere after 4 years. I resubmitted all required documents and the way I receive it is that the BBB takes the word of the business and no one even investigated this issue.

Get expert buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2003

We took out supplemental insurance on 5-9-02 for $349.00. We didn't have a need to use it until April of 03. We renewed in May of 03 as we knew we would be incurring some medical bills over the summer. We have tried to use this plan numerous times, only to find out none of our health care providers subscribe to this plan. We tried to call the 1-800-339-0247 to cancel only to find out the number is no longer in service. I had a confirmation number: **, but since my husband took the initial call and filled out the renewal. We are in the process of tracking down all information we have on this subject. We thought we had a supplemental health insurance and have "racked up" health care bills in excess of $2000.00 which we thought would be covered by this plan.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2002

I subscribed to this prescription plan in August, 2001, I called and cancelled said plan on Sept. 19, 2001. I have called several times requesting my money to be refunded and have been given several different explanations including the following responses: it will be sent out by the end of the week; it takes 90 business days; our system is down; I will submit it to accounting; I will submit it to management; try sending a letter to our Chief Operations Officer (I tried that and the letter was returned-undeliverable). The excuses go on and on with no results. I am still waiting for the $349.00 that was taken out of my checking account electronically in August 2001.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2002

On February 09, 2002 I had received a phone call saying that I could have this medical plan that will cover almost 50% of my doctor visits. So I had agree with the terms and they had taken $349.00 out of my moms bank account. When I had gotten my medplan cards I was not satisfied so I had called 2 weeks after on the date of purchase and canceled. Ask for a refund and they told me that I would receive my refund in 3-6 weeks that went on by and still nothing, called them back to see what was going on and they said something about a third party company was down. So then again I've waited till this date and still I haven't gotten any thing back. Called today to find out what is going on and now I got to wait another 4-9 weeks and I feel that this is ridiculous and I want to get my refund back.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MedPlan?

Original review: Sept. 25, 2002

I received a phone call from MedPlan saying the had health insurance that I could try for free for 90 days. She started describing the plan. It sounded great since I am unemployed mother of 4 with no insurance and my daughter needed glasses. So I decided to try it. First the took my money before I even got the 90 day free trial as promised. They overdrawn my savings account, had to pay bank fees on top of that and no doctors in Juneau take this plan. I called and asked for a refund. They say April 30th but I have on my calendar the day I called them and cancelled as the 22nd of April. They said I could get a refund.

I have called them numerous time and asked for someone in charge and they give me a voice mail that I think nobody checks. The first time they told me it would be 30 days to get my refund. 30 days passed, no refund. I call them again and they say 60 days this time. I waited again, I called again and they said 90 days. It's is now September 26th and still have not received a refund check. I hate to see people take advantage of the poor and this is how I feel. They are very dishonest and it's hurt my family in more that one way with this incident.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2002

The first week in March 2002, I was contacted by Joel representing MedPlan. I am disabled and recently lost my secondary insurance. Having need for prescription discounts the described plan sounded workable if it met all my needed requirements. Joel mentioned 35 day trial at no cost to me, review plan and cancel if not as wanted, ie. no charge or cost. If I wanted the plan $349 would be deducted from my checking account after a 35 day trial. We recorded the date as 15 April 2002. This wold give me mailing time along with my 35 day review and trial no cost to me.

I waited and did not receive the information pack till 18 April 2002. My $349 annual charge was withdrawn from my checking account on 15 April 2002. I immediately called and asked why my money was withdrawn without receiving information and the thirty five day trial as agreed. Customer service said MedPlan policy was 30 day trial after payment and if cancelled refund would be made within 30 business days. I asked why so long and she said they used third party billing and funds took that long to be released. Later found check deposited to MedPlan. Patiently waited. Made several phone calls. Different answer each time with no refund.

Early August 2002 called and told refund would be sent to me end of August 2002. First week in September 2002 called several times, transferred to managers, answering voice mail with no response. Constantly told accounting notified should receive, with NO response. This ordeal without refund is in my estimation total fraud. The plan entices those of us that have a need to save money with usage. If it costs money to save greater money it would be acceptable but just taking money with no usable benefit and being told different non preformed response is definitely fraud. 25 September 2002, still waiting for my money.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2002

Received phone in call March 2002 from MedPlan, spoke with Corey offering discount medical insurance. I was told I had 30 days to review for free, but needed my bank account information verify if I was a TN Resident. I was assured that my account would not be drafted. My account was draft that very same day in the amount of $349. I called them and ask to have my money put back into my account. I was told that I would have to wait for my package to come and then I needed to return it back and I would receive my refund in about 3 to 4 weeks. I received no refund. I called and was told that it would take another 4 weeks for accounting dept to process. I have made several phones calls and always have been told that it is still in processing. I called today 9/23 and was forwarded to a voice mail (management team).

Original review: Sept. 20, 2002

I was contacted by phone, and they talked me into trying their program for medical coverage, since I wasn't working at the time. They asked me for my checking account number. They took $349 out of my checking account. When I discovered that this service was not something I wanted, I called in February 2002 to cancel. They said no problem, and they would send my refund. I have been calling these people every month since, and still have not received my refund. I can't afford a lawyer, but I don't know what I can do to get my refund. They say they have a problem with their third party processor, but I don't care. Six, seven months is long enough to wait for a refund. Can you help?

Original review: Sept. 16, 2002

In Jan. 2002, I was Solicited by a MedPlan agent to subscribe insurance for discounted healthcare benefits. I was told that I would have to verify my identify by giving them my checking account number. I eventually gave them the information and told them not to charge my account until I received the info and let them know if I wanted it. I told them I didn't keep money in my checking that I would have to put money in the account if I decided I wanted it. They said that would not be a problem. On 1-30-02, I received several overdrafts from my bank totaling $125.00.

I called MedPlan to cancel the policy explaining to them that I had never actually taken the policy out. His name was "Tobias", he told me I would have to talk to an office manager "John **". He wasn't there but he would leave a voice message for him to contact me. He never called back, I tried to reach him several times but he was never in! I also talked to a woman "Terry" who told me to talk to "Steve" who also has never been there! On 2-1-02, Terry told me to have someone from my bank call her. They did, she told her they couldn't refund my overdraft fee but I would receive my refund of $349.00 in 30 days (3-5-02). I called 3-4-02 to make sure everything was okay. He did say my policy was cancelled 1-31-02 but that it would be 90 days before I got my refund.

I called back 3-18-02. "Krystal" told me my policy had not been cancelled and I couldn't cancel now because it had been over the 30-day period. Looking further into my records, she said yes, she did see it but it would be 30 to 45 days, 90 days from the time I talked to Terry (2-1-02). My husband or I have called several times, we have talked to several different people who have told us we would receive a refund from a week till 90 days. As of today, 9-16-02, I still have not received my refund! I was contacted by "Sandra", one time while I was at work. She left her number on the answering machine for me to call her back 8-27-02. I have called several times and left her messages. She has not called back. Today, 9-16-02, they told me my account was in highest management and I would get my refund in 9 weeks. I think I have given them plenty of time (9 months). All they are doing is giving me the run-around. Any suggestions on this matter would be appreciated.

MedPlan Company Information