Compare Health Insurance Companies

Research top Health Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

This company is claiming they are selling health insurance when in fact it is just a discount card you are getting. They take your money and say you have 30 days to cancel. I called the next day and didn't get any response to my request to cancel. After 3 days I finally get someone to cancel but would not refund the entire amount. They told me after 3 days you don't get your application fee back. This is a company that is just out to take your money under the false pretense that

you're getting health insurance. When you figure it out and cancel they use the scam of keeping your application fee. I was never told anything except I had 30 days to cancel and that's it. This company is in the business of lying to get people's money and that's it.

On Nov. 6, 2001, I received a call from MedPlan insurance. I thought that this was an insurance company that I had inquired about online, because I had a new baby; it wasn't. I don't remember who I spoke with, but she told me that I would get the first month free to try out their insurance, but to write a check for $20 in my checkbook, void the check and give them my accounting and routing number. I was told it would cost $349 a year but doing the math now 12 months times $20 isn't $349. I was put on hold to speak to a verifier, a male who asked me routine yes or no questions about my address, name, account. I didn't hear him say anything about taking the $349 out of my account all at once. The verification number they gave me was **.

I received the statement from my bank that had insufficient funds due to the removal of that money. I didn't realize it until I saw the computerized letter what happened to the money. When I received their benefits package, I realized it wasn't an insurance company like they had claimed. I called them to cancel immediately and was told I would be getting a refund. Thinking that it was over with, I threw out my packet. Every time I called to ask about my refund, I asked them why they wanted me to write the initial $20 check if they weren't going to take out $20 and no one could answer that for me.

The second time I called, I was told it would take a month for my refund to process, and each time I called I was told longer and longer, 60 days, 90 days. The third call the lady was very rude, but played the tape for me "apparently agreeing", but still under the idea that it was an insurance company. She used a horribly offensive analogy about whether I would allow someone to throw my child off a building even if I didn't hear them say that is what they were planning. I then asked to speak to her manager and instead was given to an answering machine. I never did hear back from them.

A letter similar to this one was sent to the Colorado Division of Insurance Investigations, the Better Business Bureau of Upstate South Carolina and the Colorado Attorney General's office. All of these resources led me right to where I am now... nowhere after 4 years. I resubmitted all required documents and the way I receive it is that the BBB takes the word of the business and no one even investigated this issue.

We took out supplemental insurance on 5-9-02 for $349.00. We didn't have a need to use it until April of 03. We renewed in May of 03 as we knew we would be incurring some medical bills over the summer. We have tried to use this plan numerous times, only to find out none of our health care providers subscribe to this plan. We tried to call the 1-800-339-0247 to cancel only to find out the number is no longer in service. I had a confirmation number: **, but since my husband took the initial call and filled out the renewal. We are in the process of tracking down all information we have on this subject. We thought we had a supplemental health insurance and have "racked up" health care bills in excess of $2000.00 which we thought would be covered by this plan.

I subscribed to this prescription plan in August, 2001, I called and cancelled said plan on Sept. 19, 2001. I have called several times requesting my money to be refunded and have been given several different explanations including the following responses: it will be sent out by the end of the week; it takes 90 business days; our system is down; I will submit it to accounting; I will submit it to management; try sending a letter to our Chief Operations Officer (I tried that and the letter was returned-undeliverable). The excuses go on and on with no results. I am still waiting for the $349.00 that was taken out of my checking account electronically in August 2001.

On February 09, 2002 I had received a phone call saying that I could have this medical plan that will cover almost 50% of my doctor visits. So I had agree with the terms and they had taken $349.00 out of my moms bank account. When I had gotten my medplan cards I was not satisfied so I had called 2 weeks after on the date of purchase and canceled. Ask for a refund and they told me that I would receive my refund in 3-6 weeks that went on by and still nothing, called them back to see what was going on and they said something about a third party company was down. So then again I've waited till this date and still I haven't gotten any thing back. Called today to find out what is going on and now I got to wait another 4-9 weeks and I feel that this is ridiculous and I want to get my refund back.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MedPlan?

For more information about reviews on please visit our FAQ.

I received a phone call from MedPlan saying the had health insurance that I could try for free for 90 days. She started describing the plan. It sounded great since I am unemployed mother of 4 with no insurance and my daughter needed glasses. So I decided to try it. First the took my money before I even got the 90 day free trial as promised. They overdrawn my savings account, had to pay bank fees on top of that and no doctors in Juneau take this plan. I called and asked for a refund. They say April 30th but I have on my calendar the day I called them and cancelled as the 22nd of April. They said I could get a refund.

I have called them numerous time and asked for someone in charge and they give me a voice mail that I think nobody checks. The first time they told me it would be 30 days to get my refund. 30 days passed, no refund. I call them again and they say 60 days this time. I waited again, I called again and they said 90 days. It's is now September 26th and still have not received a refund check. I hate to see people take advantage of the poor and this is how I feel. They are very dishonest and it's hurt my family in more that one way with this incident.

The first week in March 2002, I was contacted by Joel representing MedPlan. I am disabled and recently lost my secondary insurance. Having need for prescription discounts the described plan sounded workable if it met all my needed requirements. Joel mentioned 35 day trial at no cost to me, review plan and cancel if not as wanted, ie. no charge or cost. If I wanted the plan $349 would be deducted from my checking account after a 35 day trial. We recorded the date as 15 April 2002. This wold give me mailing time along with my 35 day review and trial no cost to me.

I waited and did not receive the information pack till 18 April 2002. My $349 annual charge was withdrawn from my checking account on 15 April 2002. I immediately called and asked why my money was withdrawn without receiving information and the thirty five day trial as agreed. Customer service said MedPlan policy was 30 day trial after payment and if cancelled refund would be made within 30 business days. I asked why so long and she said they used third party billing and funds took that long to be released. Later found check deposited to MedPlan. Patiently waited. Made several phone calls. Different answer each time with no refund.

Early August 2002 called and told refund would be sent to me end of August 2002. First week in September 2002 called several times, transferred to managers, answering voice mail with no response. Constantly told accounting notified should receive, with NO response. This ordeal without refund is in my estimation total fraud. The plan entices those of us that have a need to save money with usage. If it costs money to save greater money it would be acceptable but just taking money with no usable benefit and being told different non preformed response is definitely fraud. 25 September 2002, still waiting for my money.

Received phone in call March 2002 from MedPlan, spoke with Corey offering discount medical insurance. I was told I had 30 days to review for free, but needed my bank account information verify if I was a TN Resident. I was assured that my account would not be drafted. My account was draft that very same day in the amount of $349. I called them and ask to have my money put back into my account. I was told that I would have to wait for my package to come and then I needed to return it back and I would receive my refund in about 3 to 4 weeks. I received no refund. I called and was told that it would take another 4 weeks for accounting dept to process. I have made several phones calls and always have been told that it is still in processing. I called today 9/23 and was forwarded to a voice mail (management team).

I was contacted by phone, and they talked me into trying their program for medical coverage, since I wasn't working at the time. They asked me for my checking account number. They took $349 out of my checking account. When I discovered that this service was not something I wanted, I called in February 2002 to cancel. They said no problem, and they would send my refund. I have been calling these people every month since, and still have not received my refund. I can't afford a lawyer, but I don't know what I can do to get my refund. They say they have a problem with their third party processor, but I don't care. Six, seven months is long enough to wait for a refund. Can you help?

In Jan. 2002, I was Solicited by a MedPlan agent to subscribe insurance for discounted healthcare benefits. I was told that I would have to verify my identify by giving them my checking account number. I eventually gave them the information and told them not to charge my account until I received the info and let them know if I wanted it. I told them I didn't keep money in my checking that I would have to put money in the account if I decided I wanted it. They said that would not be a problem. On 1-30-02, I received several overdrafts from my bank totaling $125.00.

I called MedPlan to cancel the policy explaining to them that I had never actually taken the policy out. His name was "Tobias", he told me I would have to talk to an office manager "John **". He wasn't there but he would leave a voice message for him to contact me. He never called back, I tried to reach him several times but he was never in! I also talked to a woman "Terry" who told me to talk to "Steve" who also has never been there! On 2-1-02, Terry told me to have someone from my bank call her. They did, she told her they couldn't refund my overdraft fee but I would receive my refund of $349.00 in 30 days (3-5-02). I called 3-4-02 to make sure everything was okay. He did say my policy was cancelled 1-31-02 but that it would be 90 days before I got my refund.

I called back 3-18-02. "Krystal" told me my policy had not been cancelled and I couldn't cancel now because it had been over the 30-day period. Looking further into my records, she said yes, she did see it but it would be 30 to 45 days, 90 days from the time I talked to Terry (2-1-02). My husband or I have called several times, we have talked to several different people who have told us we would receive a refund from a week till 90 days. As of today, 9-16-02, I still have not received my refund! I was contacted by "Sandra", one time while I was at work. She left her number on the answering machine for me to call her back 8-27-02. I have called several times and left her messages. She has not called back. Today, 9-16-02, they told me my account was in highest management and I would get my refund in 9 weeks. I think I have given them plenty of time (9 months). All they are doing is giving me the run-around. Any suggestions on this matter would be appreciated.

MedPlan is well known to this website as I see the many complaints, as well as the online press releases from Florida, Missouri and New York Attorneys General Offices, respectively. However, to deal with their legal wranglings, they stay one step ahead of their accusers by going under another name, "Global Healthcare" operating out of Toronto, Canada. [see my experience of entering their call center below]

See [see] and look in the Pharmacy section to see businesses with good reputations being used to sell a medical discount card that doesn't exist. The stated head office is false, the 1-800 numbers do come to their head office here. FYI, I am a freelance journalist in Toronto, Canada who answered a newspaper advertisement. It was Global or Global Healthcare, later known as Medplan currently being sued by the respective states of Florida, New York, South Dakota, and Missouri, with a cease and desist or order from Maryland.

I was appalled by this call centre's brutalizing tactics to scam US citizens and stayed there only 7 days to gather information. Information I turned over to both Canadian and American police authorities and is as follows: a] current address/other business names b] multiple internal documents on the phoney product and material instructing how telephone solicitors are supposed to trick the American public into giving their bank accounts [ie. scripts] without telling them c] Medplan/Global current bank account [via a paycheck] d] internal documents with various company names and addresses

Note: AG's office in NY has taken another banking institution [Citibank] to court and won over their practice of empowering such companies to debit other people's accounts [often without their expressed knowledge]. With respect to relevant data bases and law enforcement agencies:

1. US Trade Commission, file # 2253926.
2. Canadian Phonebusters [provincial/federal law enforcement task force] 1-888-495-8501 file # 197459
3. Locally, I have been in contact with Detectives Phil ** and Shane ** [Badge #**] @ ** [direct] in the Fraud Squad of Toronto Police Services who has local jurisdiction in this matter.
4. Canadian Competition Bureau File # 3018367
5. FBI/National White collar Crime Centre: - File # I02082718541611
6. US Better Business Bureau national headquarters [in NY?]

In response to a lack of interest by each of these competition bureau and police authorities in Canada, all of whom claim they must have complainants and are without, would encourage your readers to contact their local police authorities and Attorney General's Office. But especially the police. American police need better communication with ours who have asked me, "Who's going to pay for victims to come up here? "All say they have substantial information on MedPlan/Global, but since 911 [World Trade Centre disaster] they claim to have been told by their superiors that their resources go elsewhere [ie. border patrol, biker gangs].

After researching this topic for 2 weeks now, it appears police are willing to turn their backs by claiming more pressing matters. In the week I worked their MedPlan/Global, they collected between $17,000 to $25,000 each DAY. According to a recent advertisement in a local publication, I see they've expanded to a total of 6 locations in two short weeks.

So it's rather odd to see states wanting to fine them $5,000 - they make that between 9am - 12pm. May I again stress the victims contact their local police since criminal charges are the only way to stop these crooks as civil or the competition bureau appear restricted to a limit, with no power to go in to seize the database to get victim's monies returned.

Overview of call center experience:

MedPlan or Global Healthcare claims to offer medical discount cards for dental, vision, non-prescription drugs for $359 each. Over the phone, they tell a US citizen they have an important medical package being sent to their home and they verify their address [from their computer database]. The respondent says, "yes, yes, yes" to each aspect of their particulars and then US respondents are asked for to verification their bank account number.

If the person balks, the interviewer says, "No, no, I don't want you to send me a cheque, we just verify your number. Have you got an old used cheque sent back from the bank? Now, remember this is your medical package that belongs to you, so just verify your account and we can send it right out to you ... " The interviewer has a list of state banks and their branch numbers, so they can start verbalize the numbers, giving the impression they already have the account number.

I've heard interviewers say, "How we got your name. Perhaps it was your doctor who sent us your name because he thinks you need this package. " Once the bank account is given, a supervisor comes on the phone claiming to be the shipping dept. and reconfirms all the information, but not until he tells the respondent, "This portion of the call is taped for your security. "

If the respondent asks a question during this taped portion, as, "Will this be taken out of my bank account right now? I don't want that." The supervisor will stop the tape and return it to the beginning. S/he will tell the respondent that they are not allowed to ask questions during this portion of the conversation as it is "verification time and you're just supposed to say 'yes'". The question will then be answered and dismissed, in the end, the tape is turned back on with a very beat up respondent saying, "Yes, yes, Yes".

Then the supervisor says, "Ok, well that's effective immediately and well send you out the package right away." Towards the end of the shift, the supervisor reviews each of the tapes to ensure there is no question. I have witnessed a supervisor stay on the line as long as 15 minutes and upon hanging up, said, "It took me 15 minutes to stop her from crying so she wouldn't be blubbering on the tape. Stupid American! Now lets get that money." The call center employees then applauds the original interviewer and the supervisor who made the scam.

I received a call that they were offering health insurance at a discounted cost of $349 and I asked them if I could receive some information on the insurance. They then proceded to ask me for my checking account information. I had asked them if the money was going to be removed from my account right away or if it would be removed if I decided to purchase the insurance and from what I understood they were not going to take it out of my account.

But in the long run they ended up taking the money out of my checking account and when I found this out I called them and they said that I could get a refund if I canceled within the first 30 days. So I did and that was on March 8th, 2002 and today's date is July 31st, 2002 and I still have not received my refund. I have called them many times and each time they kept telling me that I would receive my refund by the end of July. I just called them today and they said that their systems were down and that I would probably have to wait another week. I have been very patient so far, but this is getting ridiculous.

My mother recieved a phone call from MedPlan about discount health insurance, the woman convinced her that this was the plan for her and she gave them our joint checking account number and a voided check number. After getting off the phone my mother starting thinking and got scared about it. She called me at work and asked me to call them back and see what I thought. I called them back the same day and asked them to cancel the transaction they said they would, no problem. Well they didn't cancel and they took $350.00 from our account. That was on January 29, 2002 to this day I'm still calling them trying to get her money back with no success.

My mother is 79 and my father is 84. They are not wealthy people and really can't afford to waste $350.00, My mother keeps saying it was a lesson well learned.

These people called me about their discount services. At the time I was not working so I did not have the $349 to give them, but the plan sounded good, so the lady that I spoke with agreed to call me back in 2 months to see if I had the money and if I still wanted to try the plan. Well 2 months later, my checking account was debited $349 without her calling back or even sending me any information.

As soon as I found this out from my bank, I immediately called MedPlan and cancelled the service. This was on May 1st, 2002. Here it is now the end of July 2002 and I am still waiting on my refund. When I cancelled it the representative told me it would take 30 business days. A month went by and I never recieved it so I called back and asked what the hold up was. Then they told me it would take up to 45 business days. So another month went by and I never received my refund. When I called back for the 3rd time, they said it usually takes 90 business days. They won't let me speak with any supervisors or even an accounts payable department. I'm beginning to wonder if the company is even real.

I was contacted by a telemarketer that told me they would send me free information. I received the information and looked it over, but did not notice the mentioning of $349. My fiance and I went to the bank to withdraw money and noticed there was a $349 shortage of money. I then went home and looked at the information package. I contacted them to cancel and was told it would take 30 days to get my money back. This was March 5, 2002. I called back again and was told 60 days. Then was told 90 days. Then was told 4 1\2 months.

The operators have been rude, they have hung up on me and my fiance and when I have asked to talk to the manager, he is never there. I have heard the recording confirming my order and I can tell that it was tampered with. The money was from my income tax return. We almost got evicted and we have a baby under a year old. It also was going to catch up on bills and help to get my driver's license back. It caused a hardship on us because I hadn't been back to work for long and we were trying to get caught up.

I got a call from a MedPlan representative to try their plan. I agreed to try it for 30 days. I then received a statement from my bank that I was overdrawn. I called to find out what and they said MedPlan had already took out the money 349.00 for this plan, which was not supposed to happen until 30 days was up. I then called them to refund my money to me, and they said it would be 2 months before I got it back. I have made several phone calls to them, they keep telling me the same thing. I have had to pay several returned check fees because of them. I believe they should pay all these returned check fees. Thank you. I have wasted time on trying to get my money back, I have had to pay overdrawn check fees. I have been very stressed out over this. I don't like to have returned checks from my bank.

The plan was purchased by my mother Evelyn ** on 02/26/02 and canceled on 03/13/02. The plan agreed to a full refund within 90 days. Each time I inquire of the status of the account I am given a new refund date which is another 30 day later. Policy ID# **. Evelyn ** passed away on 03/18/02. The money is part of her estate willed to her grandchildren. Thank you.

I received a phone call from one of their representatives telling me about their discounts on medical, dental and eye exams -- all I had to do was look over the booklet of information and if I liked it I could accept it and pay $349 for the year or call them and pay nothing.
Without them even sending me the booklet they charged my credit card the $349. I've tried calling to cancel the subscription but they never answer the phone. I've been charged by my bank $40. in returned checks but they still continue to try to charge me. I continue daily to call them with no result. I was told that I would not be charged unless I agreed to subscribe.
I'm being charged fees from my bank that I cannot afford. How do I stop this?

Desiree should send a certified, return-receipt-requested letter to the company, instructing them to stop charging her and to refund all previous payments. If that doesn't work, she should file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission. Unfortunately, she may have to close her existing bank account and open a new one to avoid further unauthorized debits.

MedPlan Company Profile