Kemper - Auto

Kemper - Auto

3.6/5 (158 ratings)
Find a Car Insurance partner

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

About Kemper - Auto

Kemper offers low-cost car insurance, nonstandard policies and various discounts in 26 states. It carries basic and customized coverage packages and policies for high-risk drivers who have trouble finding insurance elsewhere. The company provides pet protection and accident forgiveness options, but its specialty coverage is available only in California.

Pros

• Variety of discounts
  • Flexible payment plans
  • Nonstandard insurance options

Cons

• Not available in all states
  • Specialty coverage only in Calif.

Bottom Line

Kemper specializes in competitive auto policy rates and offers several discounts, such as retro loyalty, safe driving and multipolicy reductions. It provides nonstandard coverage options in California.

Top Kemper - Auto Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kemper?

Verified

I love this company. They are way cheaper than most and they have great customer service. I just had a deer hit my car and they were great… Best company by far. They were so helpf...

Verified

… As a young adult insurance costs can be very high. I like that Kemper took into account my clean driving record and everything to provide a cost that is manageable for someone m...

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

What is Kemper auto insurance?

Kemper specializes in low-cost auto insurance through its direct-to-consumer model and streamlined marketing efforts. Kemper offers discounts for multipolicy coverage, referrals, paperless billing and safe driving. The company also extends discounts to policyholders who’ve been insured for twelve continuous months or more and to drivers 55 or older who complete a state-approved accident prevention course. It provides nonstandard coverage in California.

Kemper coverage options

Kemper’s coverage includes extras like accident forgiveness and renewal assurance. It also offers pet protection, which pays up to $2,000 if your cat or dog is injured in a covered accident, as well as enhanced car seat replacement with no deductible. Kemper’s dependent protection also provides up to $1,000 in daycare costs if a covered accident leaves you unable to care for your child.

Kemper has a roadside assistance option, which helps out if you get a flat tire, run out of gas or need a jumpstart or towing. Its other coverages include:

• Rental car reimbursement
  • Trip interruption coverage
  • Guaranteed repairs by a network facility

In some areas, Kemper provides nonstandard auto insurance options for hard-to-insure customers. The company also offers SR-22 insurance and a reconditioned vehicle program that insures vehicles with salvage titles.

Kemper insurance quotes and costs

Kemper doesn’t disclose its rates online, but you can apply for a quote on its website. Its policyholders can save money by bundling policies or paying all or some of their premiums upfront. You can choose between an annual, semiannual, quarterly or monthly payment plan, and many Kemper customers qualify for a down payment of one month’s premium.

Kemper auto insurance FAQ

Who owns Kemper?
Kemper is owned by Infinity Property and Casualty Corporation.
Does Kemper offer gap insurance?
Yes, Kemper offers gap insurance for drivers whose vehicles are declared a total loss.
How do I file a claim with Kemper?
You can contact a claims representative 24/7 to file a claim or do so online.
Where is Kemper auto insurance available?
Kemper auto insurance is available in 26 states: Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Minnesota, Missouri, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, Washington and Wisconsin.

Is Kemper insurance good?

Kemper’s many discounts can help policyholders save money by bundling coverage, paying electronically, driving safely and more. If you’ve been continuously insured by another auto insurance company for 12 months or more, you can switch to Kemper and qualify for a discount. While Kemper’s policies aren’t available in all states, we recommend looking into it if you live in its service area.

Kemper - Auto Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kemper - Auto?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kemper?

Original review: May 6, 2022

Try to fix my Truck in my preferred body shop and they coursed me into taking it to one of their DRPs. Huge mistake! Their preferred body shop was no good. I have to take the truck back due to a poor paint job and bodywork. The adjusters are bullies. Especially Abraham **. Mr ** was rude and very unprofessional. They try to give you the least amount possible and hope you take it. I feel sorry for anybody who would have to deal with Kemper.

Original review: April 19, 2022

I was rear end on Friday night and we exchanged insurance info. Come Monday, I get in touch with my insurance company to give them her info. They call me back and say, "Sorry about your luck." State Farm scared them because they said there wasn't anything they can do about it. I would give it zero if possible. POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 30, 2022

This insurance company has to be the absolute worst. They have the worst customer service. They do not return your call. I hate and wish no one has to go through them for claims because is just awful. I have been with them for over 8 years. When my car got hit while packer by a drunk driver it was a haste dealing with them. It happened in May 25, 2021 and a year later my car is still waiting for an approval to get fixed. I finally got fed up and cancelled my policy. I do not recommend them at all.

Original review: March 4, 2022

One of the worst experience customer service and managing claims I've ever had. Someone insured by them hit me and as I am writing this review, it has been 10 days that I have not received any response regarding my claim, or offering a loaner car and fixing my car, whatsoever! 10 days and I do not have any clue what the hell is happening to my claim. THIS IS JUST RIDICULOUS. HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE!

Original review: Feb. 23, 2022

Consumer BEWARE!! -0 stars for Kemper…. 1 star is generous! This is THE WORST Company I have EVER dealt with. We were customers for years. Had 2 incidents over 5+ years. Both times we got the time around from them. No follow up. No customer service. SO unprofessional and inadequate. Our “adjuster” never contacted US, instead they worked with the the other party to get THEIR side of the story. Will use ANY loophole they can to ensure they “can’t” cover your claim.

Jocelyn was horrible…. Her voicemail in the middle of summer was still her holiday (Christmas greeting!! In July). She was always out of the office when we tried to contact her. And she would tell us she never received our email or voicemail even tho we had the email chain & would show her our call log history. Everyone that works there is a JOKE! They are a SCAM!! Ended up canceling our policy to get a better policy for less. Lesson learned. Kemper Auto insurance will close their doors soon. These type of business won’t survive. They are out to get your money. Insurance is a fraud and Kemper is a perfect example of a joke of a company!

Original review: Feb. 18, 2022

This company is a joke. My son was hit by one of their insured and the adjuster don't even answer calls back or emails. This is what happens when someone buys insurance from this high risk insurers and defeat the purpose of having insurance. Drag claims as long as they can hoping for the affected party to get tired. You read so many complaints about this company, A class action suit should be filed.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2022

This is a horrible company!! Their client hit us and is totally at fault. All they wanted to pay was $253, and didn’t send out an adjuster, that was by looking at their photo claims app. The damage was far more extensive than that. We have had nothing but a runaround from them. DO NOT EVER USE THIS COMPANY!! They’re con artists, even their clients cannot get them to help them. We will most likely have to retain an attorney and go to court to receive any kind of payment for the actual damages.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2022

Got in a major accident with a Kemper-insured motorist. Driver took left turn in front of me where I was traveling 60+ MPH. My 2021 van which I owned was totaled, windows smashed, frame bent, van flipped over upside down, destroyed. My life was ruined. Could not get a van like it for under $50k, BUT I OWNED IT not the banks. These vipers at Kemper play games and runarounds and why they are still in business legally is beyond me. Accident was 1/19/22 and I am still waiting on them. They do NOT return calls. They do NOT answer calls. The rats working there should be jailed.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2022

Claim of a stolen vehicle and having to constantly email and call with no response! Finally settled and our claim adjuster, Malcom, issued the payment to an incorrect name. Never answers his phone! I will shop elsewhere for insurance!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2022

My car was hit by someone insured by this company. It was on a Friday and our car was not safe to operate on the road since the bumper was hanging from the car and the rear wheel and tire were damaged. The adjuster, Yarithza M, called me randomly and left a message. I was in a meeting so I called back 15 minutes later and left a voicemail. Nothing. I called back three more times that day. Nothing.

I called the number she left on her voicemail for her supervisor, Holly M. The number that she provided was disconnected. I called back to the customer service rep and asked for Holly M's number. Of course, the voicemail came on and I left a message. I have since called either Yarithza, Holly or the customer service group over 10 times! Customer service transferred me to Holly's voicemail twice. They escalated to Yarithza and Holly twice. There's no one else that can help, and apparently they don't know who's Holly's manager. It's a dead end. I'm going on 5 days without a car all because someone insured by them hit me while I was stopped at a red light.

Kemper - Auto Company Information