Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans
Kaiser Permanente Insurance
3.16/5

Kaiser Permanente Insurance

Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans

Kaiser Permanente Insurance Reviews

Original review: April 7, 2017

My husband got this Kaiser Permanente Insurance through his work. He was deducted almost 500$ on his paycheck without us knowing how much the insurance would be. So we informed the company where he works that we want to opt out of the insurance since it is eating all of the money he got from work. Now, another paycheck and we were only left with 36$ cause kaiser got all of the money! Horrible, horrible! Imagine working 8 hours a day and then on paycheck day, you find out that you are not getting anything because this money eating scumbag is getting all of it! Plus the customer service sucks!!! Never ever choose Kaiser. I hope we can still get our money back!

Original review: April 6, 2017

All the doctors I saw at Kaiser were very inexperienced, and I think that's why they're at Kaiser. They're still learning, and kaiser patients are their training tools to practice on. What's good about Kaiser? It's cheap. And you know what you get when you buy cheap. We're talking about your health, your life. Do you really want to risk that. You deserve better than kaiser doctors. Everyone does.

Original review: April 6, 2017

I'm a 38 yo woman and I've had Kaiser Permanente since 2010. Before Kaiser, I've always had a PPO. At first I liked KP because I had young kids and the convenience of having everything in one place was great. My experience with them was good until I needed treatment outside of what was considered routine. Prior to selecting KP as my health insurance provider, I was diagnosed with Lupus and had been on medication and had been seeing a rheumatologist regularly. Following my first visit with KP, their doctor said that I did not have Lupus and my meds were discontinued. I had not had any MAJOR flare-ups since then but I have had the same symptoms that I had before - the swollen and achy joints, discoid looking rashes on my head, the butterfly rash on my face, and muscle aches.

In December 2016, I went to the doctor complaining of knee pain and instability. An x-ray was ordered but I was advised to lose weight because the x-ray revealed that I had arthritis. Less than a month after the x-ray, I was getting out of my car and my knee buckled - the same knee that had been unstable and in pain the month before. I had an MRI in January and I have a tear in my ACL. I think this injury existed in December when I first sought treatment. It's April and I've been referred for physical therapy but therapy won't repair the torn ligament, so I'm not sure what the point is. I won't have another MRI until May before surgery is considered. In the meantime, I'm in pain and miserable.

Original review: April 6, 2017

Yes I really don't know where to start, but I was taking ** and ** for extreme pain in neck, back, and shoulders. Well when they took away somas due to drs nationwide were stopping prescribing because dangerous. Well then the pain really stepped up. So I told dr he upped my pain med but didn't help so I kept telling him and in emails saying I can't take the pain anymore that I would do anything to reduce my pain. Well he didn't do anything more so I started on anything I could get. When I had a dirty test he cut me off. So I changed drs and the next gave me ** X3 so I tell him that I hold number two because it hurts to move. So he does a x-ray and says "there is your problem. Your intestines are full pressing on spine." Remember 25 years of pain so he gives me 3 **.

So I change drs. This one sends me to physical therapy and says I need a psyc. Well physical therapy said "I don't know why she sent you here because you can't even move." So I ask for a referral. Meanwhile years go by and I'm emailing everyday. The referral for second opinion was denied because Kaiser don't do that. Well member services gave me a ok this once. Well to say my condition is so bad now I barely move I refuse to pick up cholesterol meds, blood pressure meds and I suffer daily because I got my records and went to see another dr but the first thing you see in big letters is DO NOT REFILL **... PLEASE HELP ME.

Original review: April 4, 2017

If you like to schedule appts and communicate with your doctor, KP.org can be a great thing. BUT for FOUR YEARS I have been trying to get my KP.org password set up. FOUR YEARS. IT is 2017 people! This have mailed me 4 passwords. None have worked, it takes "up to 3 weeks" to get another in the USPS. YES they still set up your online account by USPS mail... yet... what they mail doesn't work. Spend 20 min on hold. Get hung up on. Start over. No help "sorry, we have a PROCESS" which apparently NEVER means actually getting me a usable temp. password so I can log on. Talk to "supervisor", who seems to care even less than her CS reps... even after FOUR YEARS.

If you can't as an organization get my online account set up in FOUR YEARS, please, tell me how I can have any confidence that you hire competent doctors and surgeons??? I STRONGLY recommend you don't sign up for Kaiser to meet your health needs. It is as close to medicine by bureaucracy as it gets today in the USA.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kaiser Permanente?

Original review: April 4, 2017

I enrolled in Kaiser Permanente on January 1st, 2017 and had been making my monthly premium payments and even paid a couple months upfront. I called them to make sure that both payments had gone through and that I was all set for the next two months and they said that I was good to go. A month and half into it, I receive a letter in the mail that said I had a balance due. Come to find out, Kaiser had increased my premium with absolutely NO CONTACT, NO INFORMATION, NO LETTER, NO EMAIL!

I joined on January 1st. I was told after I received the threatening letter that ALL premiums increase in the beginning of the year. How can my premium increase already if I had just joined? What kind of BS is this? I said I wasn't made aware of the changes and it didn't make sense to increase a premium that just started with the company and no one was able to help me. I had a Doctor's appoint, which I should be entitled to because I have already paid almost $1000 towards this BS system, just to find out the morning of my appointment that Kaiser had terminated my plan.

Not only is the customer service not helpful, Kaiser's communication with their clients is AWFUL. Also, the person in charge of the mail outs should be fired. No one needs three copies of your ID card or two of your Welcome packets. If anything, send the correct information (I.E. Like if you're gonna increase my premium, I'd like a letter!). This whole health insurance BS is already terrible but my experience with Kaiser was so terrible it is not even deserving of 1 star.

Original review: March 30, 2017

I continue to receive bills for treatment and not one of the bills are the same. I attempted to talk with customer service to straighten out the bill and was provided a totally different bill amount with a 10 year old address. What a mess. Dental work charges are above average. Kaiser is a scam.

Original review: March 27, 2017

I absolutely cannot wait for open season. I have been with Kaiser for 3 years and was going to drop them this past open season had it not been for one doctor that I like. But I cannot tolerate them anymore. Customer service is terrible. I like more personalized care. I feel like I'm just a number in a factory. I go to Kaiser for my primary care physician, OB-GYN and counseling. My PCP rushed through appointments because she had 18 more patients waiting. How is that my problem?! My OB-GYN has terrible bedside manner and treated me like I was being a hypochondriac. Sorry that I actually care about my health and don't want to brush symptoms off until it's too late. My therapist is the best but the overall mental health department is horrible.

Appointments are so scattered that you are not getting the help you really need. Therapy appointments should not be bi-monthly. Then today the nurse I spoke to was very judgemental and had a stuck up tone. I did not call for judgment, I called for an appointment. Just make my appointment so that I can go on about my day. It is bothersome that the doctors and nurses play down a patient's health concerns. So yes, I agree with many of the other complaints here, Kaiser has terrible customer service. I look forward to going back to my PPO insurance where I was able to choose a doctor anywhere I wanted, one that could offer me personalized care and not make me feel like cattle. In the meantime I have requested a new PCP and OB-GYN so we'll see how this goes until open season returns. Oh... the only good thing I like is that everything is in one place (i.e. the pharmacy, the lab and doctors) but that's about all the positivity I have for Kaiser.

Original review: March 26, 2017

We moved here from CA. I worked for 30 yrs. and had my retirement package. I chose Kaiser since I been with them there for over 40 yrs. We moved here in 2015 and my cost for total medical was $97. for everything. My retirement wasn't the total amount cause I wasn't 65 yet, but I planned to find a job in the same field. Well, in July 2016, my medical went up to $400 monthly which caused a hardship for me and husband since I hadn't found a job yet. We received no notice of change or anything. CA said that GA went up on the cost. But I can choose 1 more coverage but it would be 80/20. How do I know what the 20% would be? Then you have to run around town to different locations. So we agreed to keep Kaiser but CA Kaiser is still the same cost. Kaiser don't even have their own hospital here. This is bad if you are on a fixed income.

Original review: March 24, 2017

They make you wait and wait and wait. People are for the most part nice, medical providers are very average, don't ask too many questions, pretend to use hand sanitizer then touch the door knob then the patient. The layers of disorganization and if you have all the time in the world to deal with them, maybe choose this plan. They always make you wait for a callback, appointments - what's the point, you arrive on time and have to wait two hours at least every single time. The locations are far away. No one has time for that. You still have to pay for everything on top of an outrageous premium. This model should not be allowed.

Original review: March 23, 2017

One of our first experiences actually using Kaiser services came earlier this year when our son had an MRI that the doctor recommended for a large cyst on the back of his calf. This was not an emergency visit, but rather a scheduled appointment that the specialist suggested we have to confirm his findings from an x-ray. We paid $100 upon arrival for the MRI... and then received a bill for another $950 for just the one MRI procedure. That's $1050 total out of pocket for one non-invasive scan with a technician! Even scarier, the bill claimed that the total cost for the MRI was $5643 + $160 for the dye. This is the cost of a minor surgery with many hospitals. So we did some research and found that, nationwide, the highest rate for an MRI of any kind is $3600.

On the Kaiser website, estimated cost for all locations that listed basic-mid level leg MRI's was between $250-$1900. What a surprise that there were no listed costs in the East Bay for MRI's through Kaiser. We have called numerous times and no one can provide us with any explanation whatsoever as to why the cost for one straightforward test came to over $5500. We are disgusted with both the outrageous fees this supposed "non-profit" charges as well as the lack of any reasonable explanation for the cost. Unfortunately, since the services and insurance are all bundled at Kaiser individuals have no negotiating power. We would have paid cash if it was possible b/c cash prices for healthcare are typically 75+% less than when run through insurance. But again, not an option with Kaiser. Can't wait to go back to a more reasonable insurance carrier. This is why people are going bankrupt.

Original review: March 18, 2017

My wife has severe back pain and has been waiting months for surgery in order to even stand up straight, but Kaiser refuses to even return her calls or set up a date for surgery. Her pain is so bad that any other plan would have had her in that very week.

Original review: March 15, 2017

It has been one year now that they are trying to process an address change. This means, even though I pay my premiums, when I go in for care, they tell me I am not covered. I have spent days of my life now trying to deal with this. Yes, they cost less, but you will pay for it in the time you lose with them. And I am reluctant to go in for care, because of all the horrible bureaucracy involved. I am now waiting until the end of the year to leave.

Original review: March 14, 2017

I had Kaiser insurance for 7 months, I was honest with all the drs I saw and found none of them would treat me for anything since I admitted I used **. They would not treat me for high blood pressure or diabetes. They all told me to go to emergency until I could test clean. I have used it for 50 years and my side has nearly won the battle and I do not plan to quit now even if it kills me. It has been my experience that If you use ** do not count on any care from Kaiser at all.

Original review: March 9, 2017

I've been with Kaiser for about three years because of its relative affordability in the health care marketplace. Kaiser is competent when it comes to routine, mechanical, procedural health care operations, such as prescribing drugs or taking labs. Kaiser utterly fails, however, when it comes to treating illness beyond pill dispensing or truly caring for its patients. Kaiser doctors are brainwashed to serve the money machine and patients suffer as a result. If you are with Kaiser and you have any real illness, God help you because Kaiser sure as hell won't.

Original review: March 8, 2017

I receive feedback surveys after every clinic visit and feel the surveys are used to deceive people. My appointments have been in Mental Health and the feedback surveys are for Medicine, therefore misleading by my providing answers to my experience with other Kaiser services as being excellent and access to services as excellent after being seen in Mental Health which is the only department within Kaiser that I have experienced that provides inadequate care and access to services are beyond poor. I feel that the surveys can only be used to mislead potential subscribers, especially those who suffer from mental illness and require weekly or bi-weekly therapy, and will also hinder the department's possibilities to grow because the mental health patients can't leave feedback that speaks directly to our experience with their department policies.

They created phone appointments to fill the gap when a patient is in crisis which is good, but no patient should have to tell a psychiatrist or psychotherapist that a patient suffering from mental illness isn't the best judge of whether they're in crisis or not and the need for regular appointments is detrimental to our lives. I am bi-polar and live within 10 miles of three Kaiser offices but have to drive 20+ miles away in order to see a therapist more than once every 60 days.

Original review: March 4, 2017

Thanks to the not Affordable Care Act, and my husband needing a surgery, I had to have my husband on a separate insurance plan last year. For 2017 I wanted to switch him back to the plan the rest of the family is on. On December 13, 2016 I faxed a letter, signed by him, cancelling the policy he was on effective 12/31/16, because he would be on my policy for 2017. Kaiser does not inform customers that they have to cancel the policy they are on when they switch policies. I just happen to know that - that's a whole other issue.

So in late December I receive a bill for my husband's old policy for January 2017. I call Kaiser, go through their whole "system", spending at least 45 minutes on the phone. I am assured that his policy will be cancelled - not to worry about it. Something else came in the mail that led me to not feel to trusting about the policy really being cancelled, so I called them again, spent another 30 to 45 minutes on the phone and was again told it would be cancelled and that I didn't need to worry.

January 3, 2017, my credit card was billed for not only the new policy that we are all on as a family, but it was also billed $872.01 for my husband's old policy. Now I don't know about you, but to me that is a lot of money and it seems like their system should be able to see that he is being billed for two policies, but no. I called and talked to JoAnna **. I was livid and demanded that they refund that amount to my credit card. I was on the phone with her for 48 minutes and the issue wasn't resolved. She asked me if she could call me back. It took several hours before she called me back and she said they would refund my credit card as I had requested. She said it would take a week.

On January 17th, I called, because I had not seen the credit on my credit card. I was told it takes 5 business days and I should see the refund by January 24th. On January 26th, I had not seen the credit on my credit card yet, so I called and spoke with Candice. She told me that it takes two weeks, so I should see the credit by February 2nd. On February 6th I had not see the credit yet, so I called and spoke to Lolita, who couldn't help me and transferred me to Karen. Karen put me on hold a long time. Came back on and then put me back on hold a long time again. Came back and put me on hold a third time. She told me she saw the request for a refund was put in and would be going back to the credit card. She saw that it was requested on 1/17/17 and she said it shows it is being processed.

At this point I was really frustrated. The dates kept getting pushed out of when I should see it by and I never saw it when I was told I was. I was on this particular call for 1 hour and 6 minutes. On 2/15/17, I still had not seen the credit on my credit card, so I called the credit card company and disputed the charge. On March 1, 2107, I received the email bill I get each month to let me know that Kaiser was taking their money from my credit card and the amount was not what it should be - it was a lot lower. In fact it was lower by the amount they were supposed to credit my credit card for. So I called them.

Would you believe this? They credited my account, not my credit card, on 1/23/17. I called several times after that date and NO ONE told me that. It is not how I wanted it done. I wanted it credited to my credit card. But I called several times after 1/23/17 and no one could see that was done? The person who told me this told me that their system is really messed up. It is pretty bad when the employees tell you the system is messed up. He actually told me that the least messy way to fix all of this was for me to leave the credit on my account and call my credit card company and cancel the dispute. If I continued with the dispute, there would be no telling in what ways my Kaiser account might be screwed up.

I am amazed that a company as big as Kaiser can operate like this. You know, if we didn't pay our premium, we would get cancelled. We have to pay it on a certain date. Yet, they can keep money they owe to us as long as they want and they don't have to accurately account for it. Kaiser billing system is an absolute disaster! I am amazed. If I had a choice, I wouldn't be with Kaiser.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2017

My husband and I am a new members at Kaiser, nonsubsidized. I choose a primary. When I showed up for my appointment I was told I didn't have one. The call center confirmed that I did have an appointment but they refused to see me. I then made an appt. online a week later (first available) with a gynecologist. I am 62 have been on hormone pellets for two years and now am experiencing vaginal bleeding and pain. The Dr. did not examine me or do any test but ordered a pelvic ultrasound. 5 days later I had the pelvic ultrasound which showed the density of the lining and fibroids. 5 days later I met with my primary physician for the first time. I explained some problems I was having, he couldn't address the female concerns but did order blood tests.

On Friday I went to Florida, my other home in pain. I made an appointment and was seen immediately by my ob-gyn that I went to prior to Kaiser on my dime. He said the ultrasound was useless, it did not show the location of the fibroids, interior, exterior or in the wall. Bleeding would only be caused if they were on the interior typically. He then did a urine. It came back positive for bacteria and blood. He put me on ** and ** for the pain. I was scheduled this Thursday for a uterine biopsy.

The Gynecologist in Georgia said if there were fibroids she'd remove them. I should have had a hysteroscope which could have detected cancer and the location of the fibroids. I received a bill from Kaiser for over $300 for the worthless ultrasound. The blood work came back. I am anemic and my white count is high. I am still bleeding and still in limbo and do not feel comfortable with this gynecologist. I emailed Kaiser and asked to be seen asap by another gynecologist. The auto response was that they'd get back to me within 14 days.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2017

I visited KP on Fair Oaks Blvd Friday for an appt. The women who checked me in at the station had half her ** exposed and she was robust. Shirt was so low-cut. It stopped short of exposing her nipples. Don’t they have to wear medical attire? Sleazy, unprofessional and inappropriate.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2017

I'm not one to write reviews very often, but after reading so many negative reviews about Kaiser, I felt compelled to create an account and write a positive review. I have been a member of Kaiser off and on (mostly on) for the last 32 years. I have had the same primary care physician for 14 of the last 15 years, and she is amazing. She has always listened to my needs, and under my previous plan, she would order tests, blood work, MRI's, anything that might be beneficial to my treatment, without hesitation. My insurance covered 100% of these costs. She once had me come in on her lunch on a Friday to make sure I was seen before the weekend.

Last year, my insurance changed to a high deductible plan where I ended up paying 100% of my medical costs, she listened and understood when I wanted to hold off on some tests and treatment due to the high out of pocket cost. Over the years, I have emailed her and received an out of office that she was on vacation and would not be able to respond for a couple weeks, and then received a response later that day from her while she was on vacation! I have always felt like I am in control, but she is there to advise, counsel, and make recommendations. She actually listens to her patients!

In 2000, I had a new job that did not offer Kaiser, so I ended up on a PPO plan. I had an accident and hurt my shoulder, I thought it was broken. My doctor thought I had frozen shoulder and referred me to physical therapy. The physical therapist did not agree and was finally able to talk my doctor into referring me to a specialist for an MRI.

I went to the specialist and because I could not reach behind my back, he said it was Frozen Shoulder and would not give me the MRI. It wasn't frozen shoulder, it was torn ligaments like my physical therapist thought, and now I will have a messed up shoulder for the rest of my life because they were too cheap to give me the MRI. I could have had a simple surgery that would have made my torn ligaments heal correctly, but instead I will have pain in my shoulder for the rest of my life. This never would have happened at Kaiser.

When searching for a new job, my number one criteria is that they offer Kaiser. The last company I worked for with the amazing plan that paid for everything took our Kaiser away. I found a new job that offered Kaiser within a year so I could have my wonderful doctor of 15 years again. My only complaint is that on the high deductible plan, their billing is untimely, confusing, and often inaccurate. It's not much fun having to call member services. They are nice, however the wait times are ridiculous (up to an hour) and depending on who you are speaking with, you may end up getting inaccurate and/or conflicting information.

I feel it's still worth it because their doctors are amazing and they truly have my best interests at heart. It is so easy and convenient having a one stop shop for all of my medical needs. Once I have seen a specialist, they are added to my list and I can contact them on my own. I only need my PCP for the initial km referral. My advice to anyone not happy with Kaiser is to find a new primary care physician, keep trying until you find one that is a good fit for you. Once you do this, I believe you will be happy, and like me, will never want to leave Kaiser.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2017

I have had Kaiser for 10 years through my employer. I use it only when it is an absolute must as I have gone through 4 different doctors. They don't stay long. I have been misdiagnosed 4 different times with the same thing that I never had. The Gay doctor I had assumed that because I'm a gay Man I am automatically HIV Poz. I'm not. I filed a complaint against him after the blood work came back. Now, I will admit they are pretty good with taking care of physical injuries. I.e. Sprains and fractures but that's about it. They have been incorrect on 99% of the other stuff to the point to where I had to shell out thousands of dollars for a second opinion.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2017

This is my first and last year to use this medicare insurance. Everywhere they want to send you is much too far away. This is very inconvenient. Tests performed are at a high price.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2017

Kaiser is totally a minimal care “medical” facility on all levels. Mike’s pulse was approximately 30 bpm and he was unable to move his extremities or speak; however, he was conscious. We called 911 and shot of ** to increase his heart rate was given to him on the way to the local hospital. He was at the local hospital for several hours, and they were prepared to have him see the cardiologist if Kaiser would agree to allow him to remain there. Kaiser refused to allow Marshall, the local hospital, to keep him and said they would be sending an ambulance within two hours. Long story, short, it took 8 hours to get him transferred to a Kaiser facility. Kaiser said they did not have enough ambulances, so Marshall had to send a local ambulance to the Kaiser facility.

The Kaiser staff was rude to say the least--so many examples. The first ER doctor we saw—close to 8 p.m.—said that there it was possible vagal nerve fainting. Mike never fainted—the doctor wasn’t listening—he couldn’t control his arms and legs and he couldn’t speak when 911 was called. Doctors for the next several days told him that a 30+ bpm heart rate was just fine and referred numerous times to the high altitude vagal nerve fainting as a cause.

After a two-day nightmare, Mike was released. He was asked to walk to the medical building from the hospital to get a heart monitor. We walked there, got the monitor, and on the way to the car, Mike almost fell. I had him sit in a wheelchair that was nearby, and I went to get the car. Today, his blood pressure and heart rate seem normal, but we don’t know whether or not to anticipate another episode like the one he just experienced.

I strongly feel that Kaiser did absolutely nothing except add stress to an already scary and stressful situation. The doctors were absolutely uncaring and judgmental. I do not have one nice comment to make about the experience. It was a nightmare. There was no outcome. His symptoms and discomfort were dismissed. It was a waste of time to go to Kaiser. I plan to change health care providers as soon as possible.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2017

I have been had Kaiser for 3 years since moving to Colorado and have numerous problems with my insurance premium bills. They has it correct for about a year and then I and see on Social security and it has been messed up since. I advised them as of the SS dollars I received and they just stopped my billing and never reinstated it. I had a medical procedure done during that time and figured there was no problem with my account and then a year later I get a bill for the services, because they say I didn't have insurance. I have called them at least 5 different times on these issues and whoever you talk to, they can't fix it and they give you a ticket number and never get any follow up with them at all. I can't count the month until I am finished with Kaiser.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2017

I discontinued my Kaiser Permanente Health Insurance through California Covered after a year as I was being added to my girlfriend's plan. I continued to receive health insurance through Kaiser but through a separate plan. After discontinuing in December of 2016, I continued to receive a bill for that month. Upon calling Kaiser's billing department, I was told that I needed to cancel officially through California Covered. I then called California Covered whereupon I was told that my plan would be canceled and was issued a reference number to contact Kaiser with if I continued to be billed.

Cut to January 2017 and I am still being billed with the bill being compiled to include January. I called Kaiser and gave them the reference number with the billing department telling me that it was never canceled and that it will now be canceled along with the charges for December and January. It is now February and I just received a payment notice for the months of December, January, and February. Why?! I can't tell if it is basic incompetence or negligence on the part of Kaiser. Either way, they need to fix their billing department.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2017

I have been using Kaiser for 40 years and they constantly improve their services. You as a consumer need to learn how to be a patient. Manage your doctor. When a doctor tells you "Oh, you have this, and you need to take this". DO THE RESEARCH TO FIND OUT. That is called cookie cutter medicine. The Doctor should research your family history and your medical history before making a diagnosis. My sister died of Multiple Myeloma Bone Cancer. If you feel you are not getting what you need, kick it up the food chain. You can ask for a 3rd party Eval. Yes, you can get an Evaluation from another hospital and Kaiser will pay for it. I thank Kaiser for my new Titanium Ankle which removed years of pain. They helped me prevent Diabetes, and kept my Cholesterol in check.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2017

At age 18, I developed proteinuria and was diagnosed by Kaiser Santa Clara urologist as having benign proteinuria. I had urine protein tests every six months to a year, and diagnosis always remained the same. At age 33, I developed severe right flank pain and was diagnosed by Kaiser Santa Clara ER doctor as having kidney stone. Was told, "I can see the stone on the x-ray and you should pass it in a couple days". I never passed a stone.

Over the next year and a half, I had multiple episodes of "kidney stone pain" diagnosed by x-ray and saw the urologist. I have been through childbirth, and this pain was much worse with severe spasms. I finally demanded to see a nephrologist. Looking at my previous x-rays, the nephrologist reported I never had a stone, that the x-rays clearly showed a congenital defect on my right ureter that had now caused right kidney nephrosis. I was scheduled for stent insertion to decompress the kidney.

On the day of stent insertion, after waiting six hours on a gurney for the procedure to start, I was told the doctor had a family emergency, had left the hospital, and the next soonest date the procedure could be done was 6 weeks away. I could not take the pain for another six weeks and arranged to see a nephrologist at Kaiser Santa Teresa.

Over the next two years, my right kidney function continued to decline, despite multiple stents, and when it reached only 15%, I agreed to an elective right kidney removal to eliminate the pain. I also had a child cousin who died at Kaiser Santa Clara after being given an adult dose of medication, so I got rid of Kaiser.

Now, at age 63, I broke my leg on 12/4/16 and was placed on disability until 3/4/16. My employer sponsored insurance expired on 12/31/16. I had to get insurance through Covered California, and could only afford Kaiser. My insurance was to start 01/01/17 and I had appt to see new PCP in first week of January. I could not get an appt to see the orthopedist, without first seeing the PCP. On 12/19/16, I received bill from Kaiser for January, with payment due by the 26th. I sent in the check. The day before my appointment, when I called to confirm because I had not been called, I was told the coverage had been terminated on 12/21/16, for non-payment, with no reason given. I had to re-apply through Covered California for coverage to start 02/01/17.

In the middle of February, I received a letter from Kaiser that my check was denied because the handwritten line gave the cents as 93, and the other line looked like 98. I have had several people look at the returned check, and they all say they both look like 98 (the correct amount). I have never had payment denied for a supposed five cent discrepancy. Also, if Kaiser denied the check on 12/21/16, and payment was due 12/26/16, they could have called me and I could have immediately made a payment over the phone. Why did it take six weeks before I found out why the check was denied?

When I called to schedule my PCP appt at Kaiser Modesto, I specifically explained I was establishing as new patient yearly preventive exam, which is supposed to be no co-pay. The new PCP was very kind and called me before the appt to discuss my need for immediate referral to the orthopedist. At my appt, my history was obtained, the doctor arranged for the referral and ordered labs and x-rays. My heart and lungs were not listened to and I was told the appointment had not been scheduled as my yearly preventive exam, but as appointment for referral, and I was charged a co-pay. I now have to make another appointment for the yearly physical.

When I saw the podiatrist (Kaiser uses podiatrist for lower leg fractures, not orthopedist), I explained I was currently on disability, with return to work date of 03/04/17. He verbally approved for my return to work on that date. On a Monday, when I brought in my return to work approval form to the forms department to be filled out, I was told there was no notation in my chart that I am on disability and they refused the form. I went to the podiatry department, was told the doctor was at lunch, that when he returned a note would be placed in my chart that I am on disability, that I would then be called later that afternoon to return with the forms. I received no call. The next day, I was told that the doctor would place the note in my chart on Thursday, that I would be called when it was done, and that I could turn in my forms on Friday (today).

After again receiving no call, I called and was told the doctor would not agree to fill out the forms, which are due on 2/20/17, and that the forms must be filled out by the doctor who filled out the original disability forms in December. I now have to cash pay (I no longer have insurance with that doctor) full price for an office visit to see that doctor, with them not being able to tell me how much an office visit is. It could be as much as $900.00. I applied for an extension for the paperwork with my employer, and have now been told that if the forms are not received by 2/28/17, I am fired. The Kaiser podiatrist said he is willing to fill out the paperwork, after I have another appointment with him, with soonest available appointment on 03/07/17. I have explained multiple times that if I do not return to work on 03/04/17, I am fired, and that work will not let me return without the return to work papers turned in by 02/28/17.

I will cancel any future appointments with this podiatrist, who lied to me when I spoke to him in person at the visit. I understand there is no legal requirement for doctors to fill out papers for your work, so there is nothing I can do, but when I can change insurance next January, I will again get rid of Kaiser and absolutely will never use it again! I will somehow come up with the money for the higher priced insurance.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2017

I've been with Kaiser since 1986, as I see it they train the Dr.'s not to care anymore. My recent issue is making an Appointment to TALK to a Dr. & I need to re-up some meds. I was denied to speak to a Dr & I have to call pharmacy to get meds that have expired & out of refills. So easy to talk to a Dr & @ the same time have a script called in. But now I'm not allowed to talk to a medical person at all.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2017

My experience with Kaiser has been exactly like Nicole. From hip to knee. Nothing done after years of complaints, unable to sleep at night from pain, and bouncing back and forth from ortho to PT to ortho to PT. Spent 3 1/2 years doing my own Pilates which was very helpful. Tried shots, acupuncture, deep tissue massage, electrical stimulation, etc. Finally sent to Physical Medicine Rehab. The doctor's first solution was to prescribe ** for the pain so I could get some sleep. That was over five years ago and I can sleep at night as long as I take the **. No one seems to care about finding the source and fixing the problem and I have to keep taking the drug. I now have a pacemaker (that went well) and can no longer get an MRI.

Last year when I was scheduled for gall bladder removal, no one foresaw that I because I have a pacemaker, I needed to have surgery in the hospital, not at the clinic, so they sent me home the morning of surgery. Second time, no one had scheduled a pacemaker tech to be with me, as required, but they went forward with the surgery after the tech said they would check in on me after surgery.

In addition to that, I have had ongoing problems over the past year with getting prescriptions forwarded when we are traveling in the winter months. I find out today that the Mail Order Pharmacy puts very little postage (lightweight parcel select which is less than Junk Mail) on the packages and they cannot be forwarded. The computerized records and online capability (second star) is excellent and I will miss that, but on Jan. 1, we dropped Kaiser and went with United Healthcare.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2017

I have gotten progressively sicker dealing w/ KP. They will ignore documented evidence from my current & prior physicians that show I have fulfilled the requirements for more expensive prescriptions. They deny auto-immune related dental issues as not medical, draw out the appeal process, then get sign off on the denial from someone who has never examined my teeth, is like 80 and apparently collecting checks for rubber stamping KP's greed. I have lost count of how many rude people I have dealt with administratively. The medical pros are OK, but they can't really fight for the patient because the insurer is their boss.

Kaiser Permanente Insurance Company Information