Kaiser Permanente Insurance

Kaiser Permanente Insurance

3.9/5 (1757 ratings)
Find a Health Insurance partner

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

About Kaiser Permanente Insurance

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

Kaiser Permanente Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kaiser Permanente Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kaiser Permanente?

Original review: July 6, 2018

5 years ago I had a bunion procedure, the treatment plan was changed during the surgery by the dr. He decided to break my toe and shave the bone from the “inside”, when it was to be done on the outside bone. I have a screw in my toe now. After the procedure, I followed up with the dr and told him my foot was dark blue. He took a picture of it and sent to a dermatologist because he didn’t know what was causing the discoloration of my foot. I never heard back from him and was referred to another specialist who offered to make “corrections”. When searching for an Atty. I couldn’t find one to take on a malpractice case against Kaiser. The dr was transferred to another area. I’m still at Kaiser but will be trying to change insurances now. Beware, Kaiser is an HMO plan that has doctors who graduated at the lowest of the class in medical school.

Original review: July 5, 2018

I'm offended. I had a false positive drug test for ** and asked for a retest. Now they want another drug screen and won't give me results. They are really rude. When I asked for my test results and complained to member services they sent me to records management.

Original review: July 3, 2018

My family and I moved to Northern California few years back. I was already set on changing medical plans but my husband insisted we just give them another chance coming from The Bay Area. I don't have the best health and I am anemic. Once my labs were in and my old doctor would contact me and send in for iron infusion. Anemia basically sucks the life out of you no energy and feeling horrible. My kids are under 10 so I need to be ok. Well I have been anemic numbers the lowest they have been in years and spoke to my doctor and he is like "Ya you take extra vitamins and we will check you again in 6 months." Another time went to ER a few weeks ago had a fever, vomiting and face going numb. Got there took my vitals went to the back sat I a chair. A female doctor came in and said, "Let me swipe your throat. I think you have STREP." No joke!

She did not look in my ear, listen to my heart, ask me anything. She said I'm going to give you antibiotics and I said, "Well when will I know if it's positive?" She said "You Won't since I'm just gonna treat you with antibiotics." I spent a whole 3 minutes with her said one sentence. UNBELIEVABLE!!! Just shove medication/antibiotics down me without knowing whats wrong???? There are many other incidences that I just can't go into. That was the last straw. I'm already tired. I don't have the energy to allow these doctors to expect my health to take a back seat. They are all in the same network read the same notes and really do not care. I am done with Kaiser's choice in not educating these doctors regularly on how to be good doctors compassionate and understanding. It is almost non existent to have good honest and quality care. I have changed plans hope it goes into effect soon.

Original review: July 3, 2018

If you are an addict Kaiser has programs for you. But if you are already on ** for chronic pain, be prepared to get nothing at Kaiser. Maybe after several weeks months of jumping through hoops. Be prepared to detox if becoming a new Kaiser patient.

Original review: June 28, 2018

Kaiser is like Walmart. As long as all you want is toothpaste or toilet paper it’s fine. But if you want a good pair of shoes, a nice suit or a new chair for your living room, Walmart is not the place to shop. Same is true of Kaiser. If all you want is for a GP to order routine tests, prescribe generic prescriptions and check your BP and weight each year, you'll probably give Kaiser 5 stars. But run into anything a wee bit complex with your labs and, IMH and very sad experience, the GPs at Kaiser do not know what they are doing and are likely to miss the issue altogether.

I had three blood labs run which showed a high alert for a blood issue which was way outside of Kaiser's standard range. My GP did not even notice. This issue impacted my energy level and I had been complaining about fatigue for three years. I finally researched the information myself and yep, one of the common effects of this blood issue was fatigue. All that was required to fix it was a simple blood draw called a phlebotomy. It differs only from a blood donation only in that after the blood draw, labs are need to be run to see how much the issue was improved. Kaiser would not do this and recommended that I simply donate blood somewhere else! How's that for a treatment?

In addition to not catching the issue to begin with, three of the labs required needed to be fasting labs done first thing in the morning according to Kaiser's own lab guidelines. I was not told this and all three labs were done after lunch in the afternoon so the results were really meaningless. In the past when I did not need much I would have voted KP a 4 or 5 star rating. Now...1-2. Like Amazon is waking up Walmart, Kaiser needs to realize that there are now new health care providers who are providing good, nonbureaucratic health care at a reasonable price.

I have left KP and will never return because I am certain that it cannot change. It is now a bloated bureaucratic organization structured in such a way that no one involved in healthcare has a personal stake. In a small office, everyone treats a patient both as a patient and a customer because they don't want to lose the business. KP however is so damn big that individual medical practitioners worry only about satisfying the bloated beast that feeds them.

Original review: June 22, 2018

Recently went thru stressful body challenges and was sent to a dozen different tests, blood panels, ultrasounds, cyst drain, endometrial biopsy (no pain meds administered), physical (had to ask Dr to review my file?) and they cannot figure out what is causing excessive bleeding. Asked for hormone testing and was told no? Looking at my bills it seems that they just bounce you around with no intention on you getting better, paid quite a bit in copays and fees. Not one Dr. has reached out with concern or worry, just the template here is the long list of meds you can take (for life!) or surgery. Saddened at this whole experience esp as I still don't know what's wrong. Horrified at this approach and the many stuck in the merry go round to milk your pocket book. Change insurance if you can, Kaiser truly does not care nor want you to get better.

Original review: June 12, 2018

When I first signed up I got calls and welcome packages and they would call to make sure I was all good. Once I started using my expensive meds that they covered I noticed they got more cold. I knew it was real when their electronic payment protocol stopped taking my payments. I was fighting to pay them my premium since it was now late because of their site, they then used that late payment to say they couldn’t reinstate me. Even look at their app and see if you can find a way to pay your bill. Money hungry company who will let you die before they help you.

Original review: June 9, 2018

You are instructed once on exercises to be done at home, then referred to internet app where you notify Kaiser that you have done the exercises. After creating account, I used app. My exercises are prescribed to be done 2-3 times daily, but when I logged in to document I did my second session, the site is frozen. It only lets you document once daily, so, you will probably get admonished on MD visit for not doing your exercises. I tried to delete my account, and there was no way to do so.

Original review: June 8, 2018

I cannot believe how complicated this system is! They want me to give a credit card for my prescription but won't know how much it is until I pay for it. Seriously? I took 2 weeks and several phone calls on hold to find a Dr. I was told no payment for blood test. Now have $100 bill for the test etc etc.

Original review: June 4, 2018

I love Kaiser Permanente Insurance's website and the easy access to my doctor through email. She is always prompt and helpful in answering. I also love the easy access to reports and information.

Original review: June 1, 2018

I injured my knee 9/2017 and went to my primary care doctor who took x-rays and said no bones are broken. I requested a referral to the orthopedic department where the doctor "confirmed" what the primary care doc had said. No bones may be broken but something is wrong because the pain is intense. In April 2018, I finally convinced the orthopedic doc to take an MRI. He goes, "Oh, you have a torn meniscus and need surgery to repair this." He sent an email with the OR scheduler's information. I was told that the doctor had not put in the order!!! And to make things worst, I was told he had no availability until the end of August.

I made several attempts for requesting the OR surgery submission. Today 6/1, I was told the doc is off until Wed. and a note will be left in his box. This SOB has not responded to any of my contacts. I asked to speak to the Chief of Orthopedics Dr. **. At this point, I definitely do NOT want Dr. ** performing surgery on my leg. I will never trust somebody with my life when I have to go over their head to get something done. Kaiser used to be great. I had this insurance for 12+ years. Today I do not recommend Kaiser to anyone.

Original review: May 30, 2018

I had surgery in the Lone Tree Orthopedics Department to repair a torn bicep tendon. After surgery, I told the doctor twice that something didn't feel right, and he assured me that all was fine. I asked three times about PT, since everything I had read on this surgery stated that PT was necessary, but he told me I didn't need it and wouldn't refer me. Several months after I was cleared, I returned to the office to see a different doctor, and he told me that my tendon was not attached and that it was now too late to fix it. I was bounced to another doctor in the office who, after two weeks, finally told me that he would not do the surgery either. I was bounced to a third doctor at a different location, who, thankfully, did agree to do the surgery.

Kaiser continued to charge me for these second and third opinions, and their member services offered no solution, assistance, or support. Instead, I received a form letter that simply repeated my concerns and stated that the appropriate departments would be notified of these concerns. I was hoping that someone from the Lone Tree offices or from member services would simply say, "We're sorry that this happened, and, if you want to attempt a second surgery, we'll support you with our best orthopedic surgeon and our best aftercare," but, of course, no one from either entity ever said that. I would never recommend the Lone Tree Kaiser location to anyone. The lack of accountability and quality care made my experience with them horrible in every way.

Original review: May 30, 2018

I have had Kaiser for years in Virginia through my mother's plan. I feel lucky to be covered, but their system is NOT nearly as user friendly as they pride themselves upon. After one late payment because of a system error through billing, they immediately removed total access. I get that this could be a setting, but it has been a YEAR trying to return access of self-service appointments and prescription refills. Countless phone calls. Still do not have access to it. That means I get to sit through an automated phone process and rude support people (8/10 times) for this problem to still be an issue. And Kaiser mental health? ** believably annoying. Made an appointment for the end of June in MARCH of this year. Okay, whatever. I get a call mid-May told the provider will be out of town, giving me a number to reschedule.

Okay... Call the number and it's a random number. Literally. Finally called today to reschedule because I was so pissed. I waited about two weeks (my bad, whatever) and get told mid-July is when I can first get an appointment. But you all CANCELLED MY APPOINTMENT? Why wasn't I put in the next slot? Why weren't appointments moved to compensate the WEEK my provider took off? I think it's totally ** to cancel someones psychiatric appointment and not have a second option for them. Five plus years with this insurance and I am more disgusted and displeased with them every ** day. Their online system, behavioral health, and customer service is a joke. Providers are fine. Wish I had more options. Difficult to get referrals.

Original review: May 30, 2018

Overbilling. I have the Affordable care act Bronze Plan, all I could afford. I checked with the billing department about the cost of a ** hip injection. I was given a figure of $500 and change. When the bill comes it was $1000. The average cost of a ** injection is $300.

Original review: May 29, 2018

We signed up for the KP Gold plan when our insurance plan left Atlanta. Prices were raised for this year and our premiums this year alone will be $26k. There are many positive things about Kaiser. Everyone is pleasant and the primary doctor is good. Prescriptions are filled at the pharmacy located in the building. The real challenge happens when you need a specialist. I hurt my knee, and the wait to see an orthopedic doctor averages 30 days, even if you cannot walk. I had an X-ray for a $75 copay, and an MRI for $250 more. I aggravated it and was wheeled into their emergency clinic and charged $70 for the copay. I asked for a ** shot, and they don't do it there. I was sent home with an elastic bandage, and told to take ** and ice it... I still could not walk... some value. If you are shopping plans, consider the fact that Kaiser Permanente in Georgia has too many patients and too few specialty doctors. Expect a long, painful wait.

Original review: May 21, 2018

I cannot recommend Kaiser. You are a number there, they don't care. The dermatology department in Roseville is the worst. It takes seven to eight phone calls to get a follow up appointment! Not the next week, you have to wait two months for a follow up appointment and you don't even get the doctor. Then they assign you via system to an appointment without consulting with you if this fits. Similar experience with the Endocrinologist. At this department they give you even a wristband for a normal visit, that shows you already there. How they think about the patient, he or she is just a number. Kaiser is good with the lab work, very easy and very good with the pharmacy. You can also make very easy an appointment with a primary care doctor and OBGYN, the rest is a nightmare. I can't wait to switch back.

Original review: May 17, 2018

It's been over a year, and Dr. ** and the rest of Kaiser have not been able to process my disability properly. We go back and forth, and they still can not do it. They have no clue how to fill out disability paperwork. Also I have been trying to set up an appointment for over 3 weeks. I don't care how far out the appointment is, or where (I will drive to New York from California if that is what I need to do to see a doctor), but they have been unable to set up an appointment.

Original review: May 15, 2018

I went to your Lone Tree office at about 9 or 10 am on Friday to see someone in urgent care because I was told to go to urgent care by my doc. When I got there it was 10 am and I know I had a copay so I went to the desk to pay it and was told that I can't see them until 12 pm. Until then they would not see me because I didn't have an appointment to see urgent care and I would have to call my doc to make an appointment with urgent care so this can only come from home office so I have to believe that your patients are the last thing on Kaiser's mind. It is a shame that Kaiser cares less about their patients but I know now how much Kaiser really cares but at least I can let the internet know that Kaiser would rather see their patients dead than use their time. It is a shame that you are allowed to kill your patients instead of helping them.

Original review: May 14, 2018

I have read a lot of the reviews on here about Kaiser. I find the premiums along the same lines of all other insurances and I shopped around before choosing them. I have no trouble getting an appointment with my provider, that I myself was allowed to pick from an array of providers, even on the same day. They have been thorough and always prescribed medication if it was needed. If I needed to be referred out, they had no problem doing so. I can schedule appointments with my pre-selected specialist online, just as I can with my PCP and urgent care when needed. My prescriptions only take a few minutes to be filled, no waiting. Overall I think they are wonderful and have taken excellent care of my needs.

Original review: May 11, 2018

I have experienced a variety of faults with Kaiser Permanente (KP) with my medical care as well as with the administration. First, I have been lied to at numerous times regarding whether a copay would be assessed or not for having blood drawn through a needle stick versus a standard draw. I was told a stick would be at no cost but the draw would be subject to a copay. After getting a stick done, I was promptly charged a $10 copay. Further, during a post-op visit, was told again no copay however, after the visit received a bill for a $20 copay. KP does not take responsibility or is accountable for these actions.

Also, I was promised a Protime monitor by physician in charge, Dr. Richard ** so that I could home monitor my INR levels due to a pre-existing blood abnormality and we have made an agreement that if I came in to KP for training on the device, I would get it FREE OF CHARGE. The next day, Dr. ** reneged on our agreement. In an effort to escalate to the Medical Director and finally the Chief Administrative Officer, James **, I was informed over the telephone by Mr. ** that they would not honor that agreement since the story just happened to be conveniently changed by Dr. ** when he and Mr. ** spoke about it. Mr. ** was extremely condescending to me as well would not take responsibility to fix the problem. And finally the staff at KP in general is not trained very well since I have repeatedly found them making a multitude of mistakes over time.

Original review: May 1, 2018

For years I have had private insurance, I have also had HMOs. I was never pleased with any of the services of other medical insurance. I thought “Well, I want to pick my own doctors and hospital of my choice”. In actuality Private was crappy. I also had a separate private mental health insurance which never seemed to be proactive. I have heard horror stories of HMOs and Kaiser so I avoided selecting Kaiser. As a person who has a permanent disability both mental and physical I had to make a choice on medical insurance so I selected Kaiser. I have been taken back at the quality of care, I have a choice to pick my own facility or doctor. I do not have to make an appointment with my general practitioner to get a referral for a specialist. All the negatives were not present in all of my experiences with Kaiser, in fact my medical care was of a higher quality than I have ever had with private insurance.

Now on the mental, I also have a choice of facilities and doctor, therapist, group care, programs unknown in my experience with private insurance. What is even more fantastic I have online access to all my medical information as well as all of my providers I have seen. Blood test etc. there is no need to call a private doctor to submit docs or CD on treatment received. My experience with private doctors, most seem preoccupied, maybe it is the high cost of workers comp, leasing facilities and cost to belong to a particular hospital etc. Private medical offices seem to have angry, disappointed sloppy workers.

I when I went to St Jude in Fullerton. They placed me In a room where blood splatters were part of the decor. All the while the nurses are cackling loudly. The workers in my experiences with Kaiser seem thankful, happy and content. I know things can change due to personalities and change in management, but so far so good. I guess it really pays to be a union worker.

Original review: April 27, 2018

I went to the emergency room, last night, because I have an abscess on my tooth and high fever. After waiting for 4 hrs. They did absolutely nothing. No ** for fever. Nothing for pain. Doctor said I am not a dentist. Which I understand, but when a dentist is not available, what are you supposed to do.

Original review: April 24, 2018

If you have Kaiser pray that you don't get injured or sick, because they will send you hidden bills and charges 2 weeks past your procedure. All I had done is an x-ray. Which supposedly cost them $995 dollars, yeah right. You kidding me. I pay $540/month; then had to pay $75 co-pay, then two weeks later another $45 - FOR ONE X-RAY. Btw the x-ray was total waste of time, which I had told them ahead of item.

They punish you for using their services, they want your money. See they advertise that everything is under one umbrella, whoa ho!! Hold your horses, you will be getting different bill from different departments. For 1 single x-ray that took them less than 5 minutes, I have got mailed two separate bills already: "Hospital bill" and "Professional Services bill". I am not looking forward to use Kaiser. They are in for money, not patient care. It's sad they have become so big.

Original review: April 23, 2018

My 103-year-old mother in law broke her hip a little less than 3 weeks ago. This is her 2nd break. The first one (a minor fracture) happened less than a year ago. She is not able to stand on her own 2 feet independently. She obviously can’t walk. She can do nothing for herself. She has pneumonia and even had to have her lungs suctioned yesterday. But Kaiser says “She’ll be ready to go home” at the end of 2 weeks in a rehabilitation center.

We have been taking care of my mother in law for over 5 years. We know what it takes to care for her, but this is beyond our capabilities. It INFURIATES ME that Kaiser declares her ready to be released in her best interest. I’ve been reading up on the mortality rate for the elderly being accelerated if they are discharged too soon after hip surgery. The morbidity rate has a significant increase for those told to go home too soon. She even has a heart murmur that is a comorbid factor in her ability to heal.

I don’t know what to do except make a public complaint. She would benefit so much more from the resources available in a place that is able to meet her medical needs. How does Kaiser expect us to suction her lungs when a pulmonary embolism is a constant threat? I’m scared to death and know that this unfair to both my mother in law and her caregivers here at home (me, my husband, and my sister in law). It is blatant malpractice and it only confirms the concerns we have had about Kaiser Permanente and their level of care for their patients.

Original review: April 23, 2018

I received my paperwork for CONTA coverage the beginning of March 2018. I decided to sign up for it, since I needed medical for 2 months before my new job’s insurance. Bad mistake. Not only did they deposit it, but I wasn’t covered for the month of snatch. 1st time I called after mailing the payment, rep said should only take a few days to kick in. Less than a week later, check was mailed locally to her. I still had no coverage and check had not cleared. I called again and this time was told I had to speak to my work regarding COBRA even after I told her that I already spoke to them and was told they don’t handle because a Kaiser prefers to handle it directly. I called my work again and was told to contact Kaiser. I called and spoke to the same rep who again said I had to talk to my work. Meantime my check cleared my account and I was showing no coverage.

3rd call spoke to same rep again. After insisting she speak to a supervisor she finally admitted she was wrong and it takes 30-35 days to process COBRA to which I said, "Cancel my coverage, because at the end of 45 days I would almost be on my new employers." I also mentioned my check cleared. I got an answer to my complaint and request for refund. They refused even though they admitted I had no coverage for the month of March. Even if I had written the required termination letter it wouldn’t take effect until the next month. But they were more than happy to take a retro letter pushing it back to April instead of May. I am extremely angry and upset with Kaiser. There was no way to terminate March in February and not only that they admitted that I paid for no coverage in March and too bad they were keeping my money despite providing me no coverage.

They are crooks who take your money and if you are entitled to a refund too bad. Also sorry if you had no coverage for the month you paid. Kaiser will be more than happy to go after someone if you had an accident, but when it comes to money they owe you they will lie and cheat you to keep it. For a non profit that is not supposed to be making money off of their customers they are crooks. I love their doctors but their accounting dept is crooked and they need to be investigated for their behavior.

Updated on 05/17/2018: So Kaiser told me I had to appeal to Managed Health Care after my denial by them. They told MHC I was covered the whole month of March, grant it was retroactively and that I asked them to terminate April 1st. Not only that they denied refund again. The things they will do to keep money. Fact #1, I was not covered until March 19th. I called practically almost every day to find out my coverage status. I was told to pay out of my pocket until then and then they would reimburse. After all, I have thousands of dollars for that right. Emergency room for asthma attack, medicine, and counseling appointment. Definitely did not have, plus knowing Kaiser they would take months to reimburse and then skyrocket their prices so I would get less back.

Fact #2 their own contact who talked to me initially about the complaint denial admitted the grievance team did not have all the facts, like their reps giving wrong info and that Medi-Cal covered my emergency room visit earlier that month. Also, I had to cancel a counseling appointment due to no coverage. But, oh sorry they only review once and that is it. But if MHC finds in my favor they will refund. Not, they are fighting to keep the money and lying to do it. Also, their solution. They will talk to their reps. By the way to this day still give wrong info. That April 1st effective date, was their doing. They initially told me to not pay April and it would terminate on its own. Another lie by one of their reps. The day I got their denial in mid April, they told me I needed to write a letter to cancel and they were going to make it retroactive to April 1st out of courtesy.

The whole reason for their denial, I didn’t cancel the month prior. Which is impossible with COBRA, because paperwork does not get sent until month coverage ended by employer which would be March. Not only that because I had an emergency visit at the beginning of March, which I used Medi-Cal because I had no coverage with Kaiser at the time. If they don’t refund my money. I don’t know what to do next.

Original review: April 18, 2018

I have had Kaiser for about 6 years now and have hated it. I thought it was the most cost affordable program but I just hate the system. You have to see your "primary" whose job is to do everything possible not to refer you to a specialist. I do not want to see a primary, pay my co-fee so I can maybe get a referral to the specialist I need to see. My primary is not an orthopedic physician so why do I have to see her?? Oh yeah it is to get as much money as possible and to "weed out" anyone who is just complaining. Then they attach co-fees to many of their procedures such as lab draws and x-rays. I am planning on switching next year since the Kaiser is more for catastrophic than anything else.

Original review: April 17, 2018

We are Kaiser member. For 1st year we have to go see doctor total 4 times and twice they refused to give medicine and asked us to take home remedies like honey and hot water, hot water steam and some Aspirin. We told them that we have tried those and now coming to you we were refused to give prescriptions. Yesterday I was there with pollen allergy and same thing, no medicine prescribed, same answer take over the counter medicine, next day means today I am suffering. I have constant coughing, running nose, my whole throat hurts but no medicine. If they want to give medicine then give me my copay back.

Original review: April 17, 2018

I am very conflicted about whether or not to stay with Kaiser Permanente. I love their physicians and their medical staff, but I abhor their billing process. Yesterday, I received an email stating that I owed $25. However, in the mail I received a refund check for $25 showing an overpayment. There was no indication as to what date of service each of these billing issues were for. The check only showed "Refund for cost share overpayment." When I called for clarification, the Kaiser billing representative couldn't even find the detailed information related to each.

After researching further, she finally told me that the check was for a hospital visit in November 2017 and that the request for payment was for a medical visit on 3/31/2018. I told her that my payment for 3/31/2018 was made at the time of service. She stated that the 3/31/2018 payment was applied to my visit on 3/5/2018. I explained that I received an emailed bill for the 3/5/2018 date of service and paid it online (with confirmation) on 3/28/2018. She indicated that the payment on 3/28/2018 was applied to a service date of 1/26/2018.

As I tried to make each payment correspond so I could confirm how much was due, she could not provide the necessary information. She said that she could only reference doctor visits; hospital and pharmacy records were separate. I requested a payment ledger dating back to December 2016 so that I could perform my own audit. In addition to these frustrating circumstances, I also receive a letter every month indicating a "past due" amount of $0.00 for my premiums (which are automatically debited from my account monthly).

Kaiser's billing methods are atrocious and are definitely NOT USER FRIENDLY! My mother and several other friends/family have left Kaiser previously due to their unclear billing. I am on the verge of doing the same. Their only saving grace at this point is their medical staff. Kaiser, I implore you to update your billing to allow each payment to be applied to the appropriate date of service.

Original review: April 17, 2018

My problem isn’t with the doctors or customer service. It’s just the premiums. It makes me so mad every time I pay the bill, which I pay late every month just to spite them. It all started in July 2016. Previously was paying $179/month for a $40 copay plan, same plan for years. Then I get a letter saying they won’t offer my plan anymore. After all this hassle and jumping through hoops I finally “upgraded” to a $1000 deductible plan for $275/month. I was SO pissed. I hardly had any time to get over it because literally TWO months later I got a similar letter that my plan is no longer available. So again I “upgraded” to a, I think, $1800 deductible plan for $339/month. I am furious at this point. But I got over it, had kept the plan for about a year. Then 2 months ago I went to pay the premium and it is $443!! I hadn’t received a letter this time.

Turns out yet again, for the 3rd time in just over a year, my plan isn’t available, and I had been upgraded to a $2000 deductible plan. I don’t know if it’s like this with all insurance companies, but I am so disgusted with them at this point. I am 30 at the time of this writing. I don’t have existing or pre existing conditions. However I did have a drug problem and have been using the same doctor for recovery which is the only reason I haven’t punted Kaiser in the ** yet. I went from paying $179 a month, not having to pay for any lab tests or anything like that, not having a deductible, to now paying $443 a month, having to pay for all my lab tests, and having a deductible over my head, which even after the deductible is met I’m still responsible for like 30% of the costs. It’s so frustrating. And I’m locked in for the year. There’s nothing I can do about it. Because I didn’t get a notice I wasn’t given a chance to choose a lower priced plan.

I did get the notice in mail eventually, a month after they had already changed the plan. I see people on here saying Kaiser is cheap. Is that really true??? Am I doomed to paying this much for insurance for the rest of my life? It’s more than my car payment. It’s half the cost of my mortgage. I’m worried for the next time they try to do this. Is there no end? Screw Kaiser. Screw the unaffordable care act which caused this mess! And no I get no financial assistance because I’m a ** man with no kids and I make “enough”. This is the only place I have to vent. I don’t think anyone can even comment on this, I created the account just for this. I hope I’m not alone, but I also hope I am alone because this is ridiculous and I don’t wish this on other people.

Original review: April 15, 2018

Preventive Care not covered - I switched to Kaiser this year and I now truly regret it. This is the only year that I have to pay for my annual checkup with same labs I have been done every year. It sounds ridiculous right? But it is true. I had my yearly checkup in Feb. My doctor didn't want to order CBC lab test, which may be covered fully for me at the appointment. She said that they don't do it with a healthy patient which I appear to be. She ordered a few other tests including urine sample. Later I found out that I have to pay 50% for each of the lab test. I questioned their billing and member services department, they just pointed to me to check out their guides on how I can estimate my costs/copays.

In the end, the member service rep told me, basically, all they cover completely is to get my blood pressure, take look at me to see if I look healthy, give me some recommendations, which is to become a vegetarian that my doctor mentioned to me, but lab orders are not consider part of it. Excuse me? I wish that I came to look at this list before I decided to switch to Kaiser. I agree with quite several other complaints here, they don't care about patients. They just want to take patients premium payment and try to do as little as they can to save money. I wish everyone is aware of what they are doing and stay away from wrong choice that I have made.

Kaiser Permanente Insurance Company Information