Call Now Toll Free
Compare Quotes
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.23/5

Kaiser Permanente Insurance Call Now Toll Free (855) 651-9886 Compare Quotes

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now
Call Now Toll Free

Kaiser Permanente Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kaiser Permanente Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kaiser Permanente?

Original review: March 27, 2018

I have always been pleased with Kaiser until my husband who I will not name has been treated so poorly that I wouldn't wish this hospital on my worst enemy. There is no doubt that our healthcare system is in a sad state of disrepair, but to be abused by a psychiatrist is reprehensible. That is precisely what happened to my husband after he was accused of hurting staff intentionally. PNES - look it up. To add insult to injury, my husband was accused of attacking said physician after this man threatened me with his words and his posturing. Since when is a patient who has been in the hospital for close to two weeks, pumped full of drugs, prematurely kicked out only to return less than 24 hours later after getting injured at a "skilled" nursing facility, deemed the aggressor?

While all of this went down, there was security present (because my husband is intentionally hurting nurses... sarcasm intended here), and the DIRECTOR OF PATIENT CARE SERVICES!?!? Our lawyer does not feel this is a battle worth fighting, but I say NO. This doctor should not be practicing medicine and needs to be held accountable. Training MUST take place on how to respect patients as the Kaiser code says that they do (I scream BS).

Original review: March 27, 2018

Surprisingly, as I've always had a PPO insurance coverage, Kaiser has worked out well for me at a fraction of the cost for all services. PPO insurance ran me about $2500.00 per year and my year to date payout at Kaiser is about $400.00.

Original review: March 26, 2018

This review is for Kaiser and Frank **. You are responsible for my Mother’s death. You failed to provide adequate medical care for my Mom. My Mom found out just two days before her death that she had Stage 4 bladder cancer with metastasis which had spread to her liver. ** is such a quack that he told my Mom, at her final appointment (08/17/2017) with him, that she was healthy, and she wouldn’t have to see him for another three months --- My Mom was dead three weeks later. My Mom was extremely jaundiced with spider angiomas on her torso and face, yet ** said she was healthy. My Mother told ** that she had blood in her urine, constant nosebleeds, was very fatigued, unable to eat, had severe stomach and flank pain yet ** said she was fine. All ** wanted to discuss was how his wife was one of the Laborers and they own a lot of land.

We, again, requested to see a liver specialist and to have a CT scan done immediately but ** said it was unnecessary, placated us by saying he would do a CT scan in three months. My Mom and I knew ** was wrong, so we made another appointment, returned on 08/21/2017 with Dr. **. He took one look at my Mom and could see her health was not good. ** ordered a CT scan stat and a liver panel test. My Mom and I drove to Kern Radiology then returned to Kaiser. ** told my Mom her CT scan was clear and she probably had a bladder infection. However, he said her bilirubin levels were almost double what they should be. We were never told by ** about a MELD score, or a liver transplant should be considered.

Following morning we received a phone call that the CT scan was not clear as ** had stated; instead it displayed a network of lesions on my Mother’s liver. ** called my Mother and said he would finally arrange an appointment IN TWO WEEKS with a hepatologist in Los Angeles. My Mother again stated that she didn’t feel well. ** told her just to wait until she saw the liver specialist. Two of the lesions were over 5 cm which meant they were growing for some time. I emailed Dr. ** and requested a cancer test be conducted immediately. ** never emailed back. Seeing that my Mother’s health was declining, I emailed ** and requested a direct admission into the hospital. ** never returned the email.

My Mother was hospitalized in March/2017 when a lesion was detected on the right lobe of her liver and hardening of her bladder wall. ** noted this yet never fulfilled his duty to refer my Mother to a hepatologist. ** also failed to observe obvious signs of bladder cancer. ** and Kaiser repeatedly dismissed my Mother’s bladder issue as a UTI. Any over the age of 70 with constant blood in the urine, flank pain and problems with urinating should undergo tests for bladder cancer. We were never told by ** about a MELD score, or a liver transplant should be considered. My Mom went to UCLA Ronald Reagan Medical and told she needed a liver transplant ASAP. The doctors at UCLA were horrified that my Mom’s health was allowed to deteriorate by Kaiser. UCLA performed a biopsy and cancer tests (which I had requested Kaiser conduct, but they denied), and it was discovered my Mom had cancerous lesions over her entire liver.

Members of a health insurance company should not have to beg for services. Kaiser forces members into a network that leads to dead ends. Kaiser essentially is just a giant urgent care. Frank ** should not be practicing medicine. I will be moving to have his medical license revoked. If he is your physician, then switch to another immediately. ** epitomizes everything Kaiser is notorious for: lazy, placating, incompetent, apathetic, and views your health through the lens of cost-benefit analysis so that Kaiser can keep their expenses down and profits up. ** is worthless and should be in prison. I had to stand over my sweet Mother’s coffin because of **. I stood in front of a chapel full of family and friends at my Mom’s funeral and explained what ** and Kaiser had done. My family is proceeding with a wrongful death medical malpractice and bad faith lawsuit against Frank ** and Kaiser Permanente.

Original review: March 25, 2018

The doctors are amazing. Very thorough. It is easy to pay for services that I need. If additional owed it is very minimal and they send the costs owed in one invoice to make it easy.

Original review: March 24, 2018

Kaiser “doctors” are little more than insurance adjusters. They literally will refuse to provide complete blood panel and other tests for a thorough diagnosis, for the fear of diagnosing a problem that would require expensive treatment. Wife went to her doctor and brought up some health issues. The doctor did a blood test which indicated a problem. The doctor prescribed medication to alleviate the symptoms of the problem, to mask them, but didn’t have a complete diagnosis. When the wife requested a complete blood test, the doctor flat out refused. When I asked for a diagnosis, and how the doctor could prescribe medication without having any idea what was causing the issue, she had an audacity to say “A blood test is just a snapshot in time, and therefore I don’t believe it’s necessary to know the full panel, as the medication will alleviate the symptoms”.

At that point I literally told off the doctor, requested a statement of refusal for treatment, which she provided. All the appointments were a waste of time and money. We contacted a private doctor and paid for all the tests out of pocket. That doctor diagnosed the problem and prescribed medications to actually treat my wife. Next step is to file a formal complaint, dispute the charges for appointments, contact the medical board with a complaint of misdiagnosis, insurance general to file a complaint for refusal of treatment, and retain a lawyer for advice and possibly a lawsuit. My advice to anyone who is not with Kaiser, stay away, far, far away. Those who are, leave. Those who had been wronged, file complaint with Kaiser, with the medical board, with your state’s insurance general and definitely contact a lawyer for advice.

Original review: March 23, 2018

For four months I have had quite pain in my upper right area I’ve had two MRIs, CAT scan, radiation nuclear imaging, I’ve had scopes down my throat, and my butt, why I don’t know? The pain is in my right quad area, after all this and two trips to the emergency room, they still can’t confirm what’s the matter with my body, I’ve been saying gallbladder because of the pain issues, however because of just sludge in the gallbladder it will not perform surgery, all pain indications are saying I have a bad gallbladder and I have a saying I have some nerve damage.

Original review: March 23, 2018

I belonged to Kaiser in the Bay Area before moving to the Puget Sound area. Kaiser was the best I've ever had. Kaiser recently acquired Group Health in Washington state. I'm giving it at least another year to get itself organized before seriously considering rejoining.

Original review: March 22, 2018

In order to see a dentist at Kaiser it is a months-long wait for a regular appointment and weeks for "urgent care" and you're still at risk of getting bumped. Even though the consumer pays a monthly premium they are still charged $25.00 for emergency same-day appointments. This whole thing stinks of fraud.

Original review: March 22, 2018

We have been with KP for 43+ years. Lots of positive changes in those years. They are much more personal now. I see my doctors 95% of the time. Referrals have become quick and easy. Rx are easy to refill and I can be seen across the nation if traveling.

Original review: March 21, 2018

I am primarily concerned about the rising costs of coverage, especially since I am approaching Medicare eligibility; unsure of what the future holds.

Original review: March 20, 2018

A new job necessitated changing insurance providers to Kaiser, at 18 weeks pregnant. 21 weeks pregnant by the time I could finally book an appointment, my visit with my new OBGYN was atrocious. No urine sample, which had been standard at my last practice to monitor for deadly preeclampsia. No ultrasound, even though I was overdue for the critical anatomy scan. In fact, the doctor tried to schedule one as I sat on the exam chair and couldn’t find me an appointment slot for another three weeks out. On top of that, they don’t piggyback appointments so I have to come in for the ultrasound separate from my monthly checkups. I don’t get much PTO for doctor’s visits and this is a waste of what I have.

The doctor also explained how labor will work at a Kaiser hospital: I have to call their nurse hotline when I think I’m in labor so they can tell me which of the three inconveniently placed affiliate hospitals I should go to. The closest one is 30 minutes away, the next closest is 1 hour. (To compare: there is at least one non-affiliated hospital 15 minutes from my home.) If the Kaiser beds are all full but I show up anyway because I didn’t call the nurse hotline or it filled up during the trip, the doctor literally said I would “deliver in the hallway behind a curtain.” She was not joking. I was horrified by their callous attitude, their overbooked physicians and techs, and the general inconvenience of Kaiser’s locations and doctor choices. I’m changing providers right away out to protect myself and my baby.

Original review: March 20, 2018

Kaiser is great if you are healthy and do not need any medical attention. To try and get to a specialist you need to be at death's door. Kaiser gives just the basic care and nothing more.

Original review: March 19, 2018

Kaiser has moved to a new low level for medicine. There is a conflict with insurance company hiring doctors, with receive bonuses for non-treatment or cheaper way to get patient out the door. I have seen this process in action and it is scary. They deny needed treatments, referrals, and other medically necessary procedures. I have been misdiagnosed for 3 months and after being giving wrong meds, blurry MRI, referrals for 2nd opinion for surgery being denied, I am in a bad health position. It is Kaiser's fault.

Original review: March 19, 2018

I moved 5 miles, same doctor same hospital, I kept getting letters, "I moved out of the district, I needed to reapply". I called twice and asked why, they said to throw the papers away and ignore them, so I did, they rescinded my insurance. Verbal grievance they ignored me. Written grievance I received a call. Yes I should get it back but I didn't. The letters are all poorly written, I can read and understand contracts but these were really bad.

Original review: March 18, 2018

I've had Kaiser insurance for many years and I like that all your services are connected and all your doctors have access to your files. The coverage is great and the ability to get same day appointments is awesome, especially in the pediatric department.

Original review: March 16, 2018

Kaiser Permanente pain clinic is very poor, preferring to be responsive to politics rather than the patients who are paying their premiums. I finally went outside Kaiser, found relief and am fighting for reimbursement. One tip is that if you make a verbal complaint to customer service it goes nowhere. In order to get your complaint addressed. You must make it formal and in writing. I love my primary care doctor and when I have needed surgery, those services have been outstanding. But behavioral health doctors are apathetic and offer no help of value. The pain clinic is the worst. They respond as if from a script and don’t process what patients say or what staff should be observing, just the scripted response. They see addiction in everyone instead of real people with legitimate conditions that explain their severe pain. If you cannot meditate your way out of pain, too bad!

Original review: March 16, 2018

I had been struggling with unexplained health issues/abnormalities for months on end, but paying off college loans and slow business at my workplace had left my budget too tight to try to figure out what was going on. I was finally urged to book a consultation with a specialist to try to figure out the problem, and was given a copay estimate of $50, and nobody at Kaiser bothered to tell me what it would actually cost me.

The consultation visit did give me a lot of good information and helped me understand options and feel better about my situation, but I was absolutely floored when a week later I was slammed with my bill. The cost of the consultation visit (which was only about 35 minutes and no tests were run) was $345.50. Three hundred. And forty five dollars. Just to talk to a doctor. My insurance only covered $50 out of it. I never would have booked the appointment if I knew I would be set back on my bills and eating nothing but rice for a month, over something that I could have easily just scoured the internet for answers.

Original review: March 13, 2018

I have had Kaiser for about 7 years (out of necessity, it's what my previous jobs provided). Kaiser has literally left me with scars and depression. A feeling like my pain doesn't matter, and if I talk to someone about it they won't believe me. The first time my back went out, they kept sending me home with stretches. I finally had to demand an MRI. The MRI showed that I had a disc that had slipped into my sciatic nerve. I then had a discectomy surgery. My surgeon was ok...not the best bedside manner but at least believed my pain. Recently my back has flared up. I saw a different doctor who scolded me for not stretching enough and gave me crap pain meds that don't work. Every time I've gone back I've been questioned. My pain is at a 9 or 10 on bad days. This is also ignoring everything I've gone through with my Endometriosis.

I was given an IUD, and the doctor refused to investigate to see if I needed surgery. (Endometriosis is a surgical disease and my last surgery was about 10 years ago.) Kaiser treats people like numbers, and not like people. Thank goodness my husband's insurance changed to Cigna and I have more options now to get my back the attention it needs. I don't understand how Kaiser doesn't get sued more often. Oh and the best part? They want you to do everything in house but don't have any ERs. I had to make a trip to the ER recently and they left me with a $1,000 bill because it wasn't within Kaiser coverage. They really screw you over. Kaiser tries to control you and make sure all the services you get are with them, but then they don't provide you with good treatment or care. I really hope something is done about Kaiser. After 7 years, I won't miss them.

Original review: March 13, 2018

I thought that I had a good plan and did not realize that I has additional charges until just recently when they provided it on my co-pay receipt that there may be additional charges. I was turned over to collections before I had the chance to discuss the misunderstanding. The billing system always shows nothing when I click on it. It is often difficult to push for any treatments and care beyond medications.

Original review: March 12, 2018

I have been with Kaiser for many years. They are the best health provider. I worked for the company for over 10 years. I would recommend Kaiser to anyone who needs a health care provider.

Original review: March 11, 2018

I've been having payment issues with Kaiser for the past several months and I've heard the same complaint from other people. I paid online in January and they said it didn't go through. I paid a second time and both payments went through... we're talking $845/month. Then, even though it was their fault I had to wait 10 days for a refund. Then I paid in February and again, they said my premium payment was declined. However, my bank statement showed it went through and was not declined or refunded. I've called Kaiser at least 10 times - about 8 hours on the phone - faxed them my bank statement and even though this started in early February and it is now mid-March, it still hasn't been resolved. Every CSR doesn't read the notes when I call and asks me the same questions. Some even suggest I pay my premium again. SOOOOOO frustrating.

Original review: March 10, 2018

Last year I reported to KP customer service that my webpage would not allow me to pay my medical bills online via credit card. My pharmacy bills were no problem. But every time I got to the last step of medical bill payment a pop up would appear saying, "Error - We are unable to process your payment at this time - Please try again later." I was told that a case manager would help. She never returned any phone calls. After receiving several from email responses thanking me for reporting this issue and telling me that the problem would be addressed within 5 to 10 business days, NOTHING ever happened. NO CONTACT, NO FIXING, NO FOLLOW UP, NOTHING. NO tech help every contacted me to either get a full description of the problem or make themselves available to fix it.

I did get a letter from KP about 4 months later saying the problem had been fixed and thanking me again for bringing it to their attention. Now after a full year the problem stills exists!!! I reported it again and am getting the same runaround from absolutely disgracefully incompetent customer service. I tried being polite and patient last year. This year I'm having fun informing these disgustingly apathetic and ignorant morons of my precise opinions of them. Point here is that it doesn't matter how you treat them, they are not listening anyway.

On the positive side, I've been overall happy with the actual medical service at KP with doctors and nurses all being very good. Customer service personnel however varies greatly with actually being very good, as long as there is no problem to deal with. If you actually have an issue that needs resolution, forget it. They are completely incompetent, condescending, and disgracefully apathetic in any professional desire to actually successfully solve an issue. We'll see what happens next year as I am sure this problem will persist with these idiots.

Original review: March 10, 2018

Wow. After 32 years, they boot me for a late premium payment. Now that I'm on Medicare and not employer sponsored they just throw you out for the slightest reason. Great loyalty Kaiser. Wow! I'm blown away.

Original review: March 9, 2018

We've been Kaiser members for over 25 years -- both Georgia and California. Kaiser in California was a world above Kaiser in Georgia. Every department in Kaiser Georgia is more incompetent than the next. If you get a bill that you don't understand, don't bother calling them to have it explained because they don't know what the bill is for either. You will be disconnected and transferred from department to department, and each person you speak to will give you different information. Why bother having a PCP? I've seen my PCP one time. I've seen 5 different doctors last year. "FIRST AVAILABLE " appointments are booked a minimum of 2 months out. If you go to urgent care, you will sit for hours. On one occasion, I waited there 8 hours for a doctor to read an x-ray.

Finally I asked a Kaiser employee who was mopping the floor (as no one else was around) to find out how much longer I would have to wait. When the doctor finally showed up, he didn't even step into the room. He didn't introduce himself. He simply poked his head in the door and said, "It looks ok. Follow up with your PCP." Really??? If I could get an appointment with my PCP, I wouldn't be here in urgent care.

When I complained to my doctor via email (because that seems to be the only access I have to him) he told me that Kaiser has added 80,000 new patients. Then why haven't they added sufficient doctors and staff to accommodate those 80,000 new patients. After all the years of being a Kaiser member, I am ready to cut ties with them. And perhaps the worst thing of all is that they just flat don't care that their service has turned so awful. They don't care about their patients. You are nothing more than an ID Number and a co-pay to them. Please think twice before contracting with Kaiser, Georgia.

Original review: March 8, 2018

I'VE HAD IT!!!! Every time I email, call or see someone directly here, NO ONE is on the same page. I just emailed about needing chiropractic services and they responded via email I sent to my primary care doctor that I need to call Kaiser's bogus customer service number to get an answer and speak to a specialist first. I call the customer service number, press the number to speak to a specialist after an annoying robot system is forced upon me, and the rep says "EMAIL YOUR PRIMARY CARE DOCTOR TO FIRST." I JUST DID THAT AND THEY SAID CALL SPECIALTY SERVICES??!! And also, I've been through a hellacious year and a half trying to get a reimbursement for premiums I paid but was covered via Medi-Cal and am now owed $1000. I've called 14 different numbers during 20 phone calls over 18 months and 2 hearings and no one still has an answer for where my money's at!!?? Kaiser!!!!

Original review: March 6, 2018

In August, 2017, I went to my primary of 18 years for a arrhythmia in my heart. Went through 24 hr monitor, abnormal, next 2 week event monitor, abnormal, next stress test which showed as my primary told me, 31/2 weeks later when I called about sinus infection, "Oh, btw, you have quite a bit of heart blockage". Long story short, got cardiologist but still waiting for ok from primary to do angioplasty. I have 11 siblings and 7 of them died of heart disease before age 72. I’m 70!! Think I’m going to be number 8! Kaiser has gotten terrible since I went on Medicare. If I live to next year I’m out of Kaiser.

Original review: March 4, 2018

Kaiser Permanente has been my healthcare provider for a few years and I've experienced nothing but the very best medical attention each time at the Reston and Tysons Medical Centers in Northern Virginia. All of the doctors, nurses and staff are exceptional, and always treat me with kindness, empathy and compassion. They also explain things very clearly, which eases my mind and helps take the fear out of being unwell.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

I just became insured through the Washington marketplace this year on Feb 1st with Kaiser. I had gone to my naturopath originally in late January for weight loss, upper right quadrant abdominal pain, nausea & vomiting, night sweats, and swollen lymph nodes that had been swelling on and off for a while. She sent me for an abdominal MRI which revealed a mass that is either a adenoma or hepatocellular carcinoma. She recommended I follow up with an MD for further testing asap. I saw a Kaiser doctor Feb. 6Th. He would not listen to me. I told him the symptoms I was there for and referred him to the MRI I had sent ahead of time. He insisted I had acid reflux and prescribed **. I insisted I do not have pain in my stomach area or acid reflux, as I had acid reflux a decade ago and am very familiar with it. I was an MA and I know my A&P. He said return in 3 weeks.

In the past two weeks the pain has become so severe I can't work. I returned to my naturopath who advised to stop taking **, she said I do not have acid reflux and all my symptoms point to liver dysfunction and an immune response. I have been to the ER, where they just prescribed ** and said follow up with my MD as scheduled. I then had more pain even with the ** and trouble breathing and swelling in my abdomen so I went to Kaiser urgent care. They gave me a ** shot which did not ease my pain. So they suggested 9 ** a day, knowing I have a mass in my liver which is poorly functioning, and follow up with my MD.

Now my right arm is swollen and my right side of my rib cage is so painful I can't lay any direction. I went to a chiropractor who said I have no ribs out but said it appears I have lymphedema. I have been sending these messages to Kaiser. I am not being treated. I'm told based on my age [32] they will not biopsy the liver mass unless it's 5 cm, even though I have worsening symptoms associated with cancer. This is the worst care I have ever received and I am now hiring an attorney. I am unable to purchase private insurance because enrollment is closed and I am stuck with this awful facility.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

So when I first signed up for the Washington State Health Insurance, I was assigned Group Health as my provider, Group Health covered my medications and had even approved of fully covering a $466 experimental heart medication (that I need to take so I can live like a normal person). When Kaiser bought Group Health I was told my coverage would remain exactly the same. But it definitely did not. Kaiser no longer covered my heart meds because I "hadn't tried every other option" according to their records, even though I had and it was in Group Health's records. So then my cardiologist had to send over my records multiple times because Kaiser supposedly didn't get them. Kaiser even said I didn't have the proper referral to a Cardiologist in the first place and I then had to get re-referred to him in order for my prescription and records to be considered valid.

This was something that I have never experienced with insurance before, not with Lifewise or Group Health and it's not something I am currently experiencing with Molina. It's only Kaiser, and nobody should trust them when they say they only provide the best insurance, and I wholeheartedly believe that any positive reviews of them must be sponsored, because they simply are disorganized and outright lie to their customers.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

During a "phone appointment", with this new doctor Catherine who had never seen me, she made it clear that she never read my file, and had still already made her mind up BEFORE calling, to deny me necessary medication for pain and infection. She was rude, condescending, and even made false accusations against me! She only wanted to pass the buck and send me to other doctors that I have already been to, with only negative results. I am getting another doctor immediately. The ones at Kaiser rarely treat you as a whole person, and have even tried to get me to do physical therapy exercises that caused serious damage because they don't think of the body as a whole unit.

Kaiser Permanente Insurance Company Information