2. Finance

Find Life Insurance Companies partners near you

About John Hancock Life Insurance

Find Life Insurance Companies partners near you

John Hancock Life Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about John Hancock Life Insurance?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about John Hancock?

Original review: Nov. 25, 2015

On 10/23/2015 I went to my agent to fill out surrender forms to cash out this policy. So I check it out by calling John Hancock, the forms were fill out wrong. Then went back to him have the check direct deposit to my bank on 11/9/15. My has lung cancer. I need money to pay medical bills, they said it's processed and on its way. I think we need to ask. If I would, I die. My wife have this much trouble get money from this company because they got promise out of my bank.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2015

I have not had any major issues with my life insurance company but I wish they gave you the option of doing more things online. Calling them is hard because you are kept on hold for a long period of time and I have more important things to do than spend a lot of time resolving problems.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2015

I had to roll over another account from a different job. I thought it would be a long process but the staff were so friendly and knowledgeable that it was done very quickly and easily. The entire process was very well explained! I would definitely recommend them to everyone looking :)

Original review: Nov. 11, 2015

I have had insurance with John Hancock for the past 15 years. I switched from another insurance company to them because they offered me the most for my money as well as cash investments. To simplify matters relative to premiums, I have them deducted directly from checking account monthly so that I do not have to concern myself with late payments. The company provides me with monthly statements that gives me all relevant information such as policy values, advances in stocks associated with the policy. It has a website where I can go and get answers to all of my questions. To date, my relationship with the company has been excellent and I would recommend them to anyone who needs insurance.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2015

I have had my policy with them for 35 years and am very happy with them. My death benefits has doubled and my cash value is about 30 percent more than I have actually put in. I bought my son a policy when he was an infant for 50,000 and is now worth about 10.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2015

Several years after becoming disabled I had many questions about my policy. This was because I did not originally remember that I had a disability clause in my policy that would enable me to stop paying my monthly deductible. Instead this cost is actually absorbed by the insurance company throughout my disability, which is diagnosed as a lifelong disability. They were extremely helpful and guided me through the paperwork and nuances of my policy. I knew they had my best interest at heart and I was incredibly grateful.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2015

My policy is provided through my employer. Our representative with John Hancock has made himself available to my husband and I for any questions that we have had. Very soon we will be inquiring about more coverage and I know that our questions will be answered fully and in a timely manner as they have in all of the past interactions we have had.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2015

2009 my mom passed away, she & my dad have had Hancock life ins. since 1959. Dad turned in her ins. policy & was told she had taken a loan on the policy & they would take the balance due from his claim. Mom never took a loan from that policy even though they took over $3000.00, it's now 2015 & Dad is still receiving a bill for $3837.77. When I speak to them about this they say it's got to do with increased rates (their rate was locked in 1959). Also, this is the hardest company to find a phone # to speak to an actual person, all their business is done by mail... Why so hard to contact, is it their under-handed way of doing business - would not recommend this company to anyone!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2015

For the last few years, I had individual long term care insurance policy with this company that I allowed to lapse due to financial difficulties on May 10, 2015. I had purchased this policy from Donald ** at the Sarasota FL office on cattle ridge Drive. When my agent D. ** found out about the lapse, he immediately tried to sell me on a different type of insurance policy that he told me would be both life insurance and also disability insurance (the name on the policy is: flexible premium universal life insurance). I told him at that time that I couldn't afford this policy right now because of my financial situation, nor that I needed life insurance because I have no dependents. He said this was also disability insurance. So he pushed on and told me, "let's just see if you can even qualify for this policy first and then you can decide later if you want to enable it."

So I did, went through the medical exam and passed it. Then he called up and told me he was coming by my house to retrieve a check, but again I told him "No", that at that moment (August 27th) I still couldn't afford to pay a premium. Yet he pushed and pushed to get a check out of me with a promise he wouldn't deposit it so I gave him a check but only because I trusted him on his word that he would hold it and not deposit it, until I would initiate a phone call to his office telling them that they could.

I'm self employed and my income is very irregular and the premium is a lot of money to me. Now here is where he literally screwed me. When he made me write out a check and promised me he would NOT deposit it until I initiated a phone call to his office telling him to deposit it. I NEVER made that call but I got a phone call from him 10 days later on September 5th that he wanted to deliver a policy to me, I think he came to my house on September 7 to be precise. I thought this very was odd because I hadn't paid for it (or so I thought) and again I said, "But I can't pay for it now" and he said, "That's okay you have 30 days to see if you can afford it. Just give our office a call when you can afford it and we will deposit the check." I didn't know at that time that my check had already been deposited, so he was lying to me about that.

Then he made me sign tons of pages super fast without showing me what was on these pages even, but again, I trusted him. He apologized for not using carbon paper. I had no idea what I was signing for but I trusted him. BTW, I received zero copies of what I signed!!! I found out later. Meanwhile I'm getting lots of mail and bills, such as medical bills that I had no money to pay for them, so I threw them all on a big pile. If you've ever been this broke, it's hard to face or open any bills if you have no money, hence a big pile started to form.

Today I finally did go through all my mail. Only to discover that he had indeed deposited the check already on September 4, 2015, this was done before he delivered my policy on September 7th, only one week after I gave him the check on August 27th, and without getting my consent to deposit it. I had no knowledge that this had been happening and my fault for not checking my own mail sooner. There's more. He MUST have made me sign something that day on September 7 that would take a premium automatically out of my checking account because I happened to check my statements today as well and see a payment pending. I was shocked when I saw that!

I vaguely do remember signing for this, there were so many pages and he was acting all nervous and fast, chewing gum like a rabbit. I didn't want to sign my consent for that and I told him so. I ABSOLUTELY clearly remember him promising me that he would not use this withdrawal consent until I gave him the green light for it. I NEVER, NEVER DID!!! I'm telling you the truth here, because another piece of mail I opened today showed me a letter written on September 11, 2015 that I had consented for this automatic withdrawal. So he had lied to me then also and just submitted the consent form as soon as he got his hands on it. This came as a huge surprise to me.

When he made me sign all this paperwork so quickly I honestly had no idea that I committed even to ANYTHING AT THAT TIME because he kept assuring me that without my oral approval, he would not engage this policy or deposit the check (which he already had deposited behind my back). Meanwhile, my bank account is overdrawn and I have no way even of bringing the balance above zero. The October payment is still in "pending" state at this moment. It also turns out that this policy is not a disability paying policy! What a freaking liar.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2015

I filed a claim as a beneficiary on a life insurance policy held by John Hancock on my mother. I filled out all the forms sent to me and sent them back registered mail, return receipt. I was told the claim would take approx 10 days. I called back in two weeks when I received no update on the claim. After a lot of confusion and contradictory information about the processing of the claim, I was finally told the claim had in fact already been processed and the check mailed.

14 days later when the check still had not arrived, I called again. Again, all those I spoke with (at least 5 reps) could either not find any information or kept putting me on hold for long periods only to come back and still not have any verifiable information as to the whereabouts of the check. When I asked what address the check was mailed to, they were unable to provide even an address. When I asked for a supervisor, I was put on hold for over 30 minutes. Then the supervisor was also unable to find the address the check was mailed and told me they would get back to me. Nobody seemed to be able to find even the most basic information or even the copies of the claim forms I sent in with all my complete information right on it.

Still later and after another four to five calls and transfers, I reached a Norma ** who recited an incomplete, erroneous address the check was mailed to, even five days earlier than first told to me. Not the address I put on the form. Only now did it become apparent the check was lost. A mistake they made which was only discovered by my insistence on verifying the information. Which took me over three hours and endless aggravation to get out of them. All the while, they kept saying the check is in the mail, just wait on it.

Now at this point, with the service rep acting like it was in some way my fault for their screw up, they said they would stop payment on the check mailed to the incorrect address and resend another check. When I asked that they send it US Priority mail with tracking..... (you won't believe this) they said they are unable to send it by priority mail. Or to a PO Box. A US Post Office PO Box. Only FedEx or UPS. I repeated I did not want a driver leaving it on a doorstep. I wanted it sent to a secure PO Box. She said she couldn't and hung up.

I have never been so frustrated with a company or ever come across a customer service that actually does nothing to provide any customer service. Never mind the entire delay and inconvenience to me is their fault. And they still suggested they were helping me. They had done nothing but tell me what they couldn't find, or didn't have, or couldn't do, or lost or transfer me to someone else that proceeded to recite the same excuses. Not the kind of frustrating responses you would want from a company or anyone, when dealing with issues relating to a death in the family. I have always thought highly of John Hancock as a business. A company with integrity. This has certainly tainted my viewpoint on both their integrity and competence and certainly their sensitivity. Just another big company that doesn't care.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2015

My mother has paid on a policy for more than 20 years. After my father passed, I had to place my mother in a facility in March 2014. John Hancock did begin to reimburse me for their portion. After moving her back to her home in March 2015, I pay for her 24-hours care for the final stage of Alzheimer's. John Hancock refuses to reimburse me for the amount that they pay, even though the received paperwork indicating that mother is on hospice.

Original review: July 14, 2015

The company wants $6000 per year to maintain the policy yet the planned payment is $2200. I agreed to pay $3000 per year to maintain the policy (I am now 72 y/o). So why am I angry? They "borrow" the difference from my $100,000 FV policy, CHARGE ME 5% interest on that "loan", and then REDUCE the $100,000 death value by roughly $3000 per year (ie, 100K becomes 97K, then 94K, etc.). Bottom line: I am required to pay them money but they reduce my policy and charge me interest. I am stuck between a rock and a hard place - do I continue paying premiums to keep the $100 policy (reduced each year) in effect for my wife for when I die, or do I simply cash it in for the accumulated cash value, because there will (if I live long enough) come a time that I will have paid more into the policy than it is worth. Any suggestions? Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.

Original review: June 4, 2015

I have two policy with this company, paying premium over 15 years. About $4000 yearly. Now I have cash value of over $50,000. I needed some cash, so I called to withdraw some cash (not all of them). They will not let me withdraw the cash value. They push for a loan with 5% interest. Why do I make loan to my own money? Why pay interest to them? I have two more policy with Metlife. They were great!! I cashed my cash value and keep my policy in force. Why can they do that?

Original review: May 27, 2015

Called in, waited through the annoying phone prompts to talk to customer service. I just needed the plan address that is required for rolling over to another account. What happened was endless sales pitches and no address. Finally the representative told me he could give me John Hancock's general mailing address. Which is absolutely ridiculous. Was a slap in the face. I wish the same for them.

Original review: April 24, 2015

My father has been in and out of the hospital most of this year. In trying to establish the 100-day elimination period, it's been a nightmare dealing with this company. The 100-day elimination period is like a yo-yo. The elimination day's actually go up and down. My parents have been paying into this fund for 30 years and this service can't go unpunished. If anybody out there is willing to work with me to sue this company, I'd be interested and can be contacted at **.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2015

My father (who passed Oct 2014) opened a Life Ins. policy with JH in 1977 and named his 3 children as beneficiaries. I am the youngest child and dumbfounded at the results. I have no idea the dollar amount of the policy when opened or how much my dad contributed over the years. However, JH indicates that it was a $15.00 policy. In 37 years, it earned $18.00 in dividends which equals a value of $33.00. We each received a check for $11.00. What the hell is that? My father was a math genius, taught math, & invested. He would not have a policy of such nonsense for 37 years. How can we figure this out... did his agent embezzle money (who was his friend and now is in a nursing home with Alzheimer’s) or how do we find exactly what went on with the policy? This is a joke and my dad wouldn't have done this to us.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2015

I was giving a prospectus 23 years ago and since then John Hancock has sent many proxies to my home changing everything that I originally signed up for and the cash value is nowhere close to what the woman who push the policy and told me no information sheet that at 4% this is how much money I would have after 20 years in the policy. They will end up changing everything to do with the policy and I am NOT even one third of what was supposed to be there at 4 percent interest and she explained to me over the past 20 years John Hancock was paying over 11% so I find this miscarriage of justice and I believe fraud was perpetrated.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2015

I am disappointed in many aspects of conversion of a policy to whole life, including use of my checking and draft to it. I would hope that my best interest would have been primary. Not just sale of policy. A long story but it has not been a pleasant transition. I expect organized, accurate, efficient, professional work. The Ability to speak to Corporate Offices to ensure better service. You are nowhere without customers. Respect them and take care to provide the best possible service. Based on my experience I would not recommend this company. I have been a long long term customer and user of JH!! I expect more.

PS. And also you gave 21 million to one fund and gave little back to policy holders what was that about? Clearly you have been making a lot of money.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2015

Deceased father's pension was handled by John Hancock. Worked at Abex Corporation. Sat in account for nearly 30 years. We did not receive any interest on this $168000.00 amount, seems we are due some interest money on that amount. Took years to get that amount released. Can you help. Seems unfair. Any assistance helpful.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2014

They, John Hancock, took my pension check I receive every month back! After they had already put it in my account on the Dec 25 2014!!!! 5 days later I have paid my bills and used my money then today I use my card - no money in my bank acct!!! What! I've been hacked I thought. I run to my bank but no, it was John Hancock who took my check back that was in my acct for 5 days!!!!! This has to be a crime, this is wrong!!! How can they get away with this!! So I call them, they say "oh we paid our check too early!!! So now we took your funds back till Jan 2!!!!" Bull!!! This is their mistake and now I am broke with fees to my bank!!! They should not get away with this!!!!

Original review: Dec. 12, 2014

My mother in law has been trying to surrender 2 of her policies. She is 84 years old and has many health problems. My husband and I have been caring for her for 2 or more years. She has a house and does not want to lose it to back taxes and so she decided to surrender 2 of her policies. For 7 weeks since they sent us the paperwork for her to fill out they have jerked her around, me and my husband. I faxed the paperwork from my job 15 to 20 times. They say wait 24 to 48 hours before it is in the system for them to tell us whether they got it or not. When we call they say they are missing something. Conflicting stories and the rest is absolutely B.S. 84 years old and they are treating her as if she has no right to the money. We called the insurance commissioner today and filing a formal complaint.

Resolution response: Dec. 22, 2014

In response to my complaint, I finally had an agent in Nassau County call me to explain how the dividends work. It seems that the 3 1/2% is only given on your dividends that you allow the company to hold! It is not given on the cash value of the policy! The amount of dividends you receive is based upon their decision and how the market is doing.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2014

I have a whole life policy in force for 23 years. My contract states the interest will be the rate they declare, but will never go lower than 3.50% on amounts on deposit for full policy years. I now have a guaranteed base policy value of 63,507.50 and a total policy cash surrender value of 65,027.72. The dividend I received last year was $2,258.92. This year it was $1,825.47 and I had to pay $874.53 to keep my policy in force. I paid the money and did the calculations on my cash value and my dividends should be a little over $2,220.00! When I asked the two agents I spoke to, what figure do they use to determine my interest, one said $71,074. The next agent said $65,027.72. On my third call, I spoke to a supervisor, who would not give me a figure but explained it goes according to the market. I insisted there is a figure that the dividend is determined on. She said she would have a letter sent out to me showing me the table for configuring the interest. I was already involved in a class action suit many years ago and we were awarded compensation because of their dishonesty. I am very upset and I want to thank you for your attention to this matter!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2014

I have a contract to sell a number of John Hancock annuity payments, submitted on September 24th. According to John Hancock, the transaction would be completed within 20-30 days maximum. A similar transaction was carried out on three previous occasions, each one also handled in a slovenly, unbusinesslike manner. To date, no one in their Structured Settlement Division will provide information as to the status of this transaction. They will neither return phone calls nor speak to me or DRB Capital on the phone. I advised them via Certified Mail in September that this was a medical emergency and to please expedite the process. The letter was never acknowledged and the paperwork remains unfinished.

In another recent incident with John Hancock, I advised them in August that I changed banks and notified John Hancock by FAX and in writing of my new bank account for direct deposit. For TWO MONTHS my annuity payments were deposited in a closed account which was inaccessible to me and cost me money to retrieve. It is still uncertain as to whether my next payment, due in November, will be deposited into the correct account.

I paid $800,000 for an immediate annuity with Manufacturers Life which was subsequently bought out by John Hancock. Everything is handled through their call center in the Philippines. This is also concerning as my personal financial information is being shared with foreign nationals. It is virtually impossible to talk to someone who is actually in control of a particular transaction or request. The company is unresponsive and fails to service their clients in an ethical and timely manner.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2014

In 1998 my wife passed at age 27, John Hancock asked for a few documents which the hospital provided. I was issued an immediate payment of 5000 within 3 days. Issued me 2 checks after in amounts that I requested to cover remaining balance. I was in the U.S. Army at the time and needed cash to get from Washington State to Vermont to bury my wife. John Hancock took care of my needs tenfold. I would not hesitate to refer people to this company. I had life insurance with them also for years but lost track and it has surely been cancelled. But that is of no fault of John Hancock. I may look to them again for insurance in the future. Thanks for your help John Hancock....

Original review: Oct. 25, 2014

I was contacted by this John Hancock Insurance Company 6 months ago about funds from a policy from my grandmother that were going to be released to the state. I spent 6 months of my time and almost $200 assembling all of the paperwork and death certificates required. After 6 months, I received a letter telling me these funds reverted to the state in 2005, 9 years ago! I don't understand how this company tolerates such incompetence. Obviously it's too late for me to receive these funds, but it should not be too late for these incompetent employees to be reprimanded or worse. They initiated this contact, corresponded with me 6 or more times in writing and by phone, and they did not bother to check and see that the funds were not available. They should be ashamed to have such incompetent workers employed by John Hancock.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2014

My mother is now in assisted living, since early April of 2014. She has been paying into JH for at least 30 years and they have amassed nearly $100,000 in payments from her. The requisite 100 days passed in assisted living, and yet the insurance payments did not start on time. After several complaints they paid for only one month, then stopped, for no reason and with no explanation. I now have to have my lawyer take over to get the payments that are due. My mother is fortunate that she has my brother, myself and a lawyer to get the money owed to her by JH. It makes me wonder just how many hundreds of older adults without the support my mother has get scammed by this company.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2014

I lost my mother in June 2013 who was John Hancock Life Insurance policyholder. As her legal executor, I provided the company her death certificate (with county seal) to process her policy. The benefits were paid shortly thereafter. My 82-year-old visually impaired father named my mother as the secondary contact for policy change information. JH continues to deliver correspondence regarding my father's policy to my mother's former address despite acknowledging that she has passed. They argue that my father must write, sign, and send a letter to JH to have my deceased mother's name removed from his policy records. Regrettably, my father will under corneal surgery tomorrow and is simply unable to provide this documentation.

The agent telephoned my father today, while I waited on hold to confirm the situation I described to two JH professionals, neither of whom seem to understand the difficulty many ailing octogenarians encounter with computers and other contemporary communication technologies. Unfortunately, I am on a different coast from my father and am unable to facilitate delivery a form letter with his signature to JH to remove my deceased mother's name from his profile. What is most difficult to accept is the callous customer service the JH agents provided, and the complete disregard for the still painful loss of my mother.

Original review: June 6, 2014

J.H was quick to get their necessary forms to me, that was the end of the promptness. A nurse assessor was supposed to have called and seen my spouse prior to Long Term admission, never told this by J.H. or had any contact with same until I started making waves. Claim Information that I sent all together in one large manila envelope was received by Ins. Co, but J.H. could only find bits and pieces of paperwork. I finally convinced the Claims rep. that if had form X then also had to have form Y as both sent at same time in same envelope. Sounds like left hand doesn't know what right hand doing.

My solution: from now on, all information that I send to J.H. will be by registered mail for which they have to sign upon receipt. Pain in the neck to have to go to that step but looks like what will give me proof as to what was received.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2013

I am glad my parents prepared financially for their health care needs. I am also glad that John Hancock has reimbursed consistently without issue. The issue arose when I attempted to set up assignment of benefits to my father's care provider. We needed to have payments go directly to the provider. Been working on this process for 4-5 months now. The required documents were submitted. Each time I called they said they did not have the documents. Resubmitted them 3 times - faxed, mailed, emailed. No one seemed to care or realize that there may be an issue on their end regarding the missing document.

Finally I asked if it is possible that they are putting my father's documents under my mother's policy. So after 4 aggravating months the mystery was solved. I was told the documents would be moved to my father's policy and submitted for assignments of benefits. I called back 2 weeks later and had to go through the exact same conversation and lengthy hold times. The documents were not moved. The woman on the phone sounded very confident and told me that she would expedite the process so payment would be made to the care provider by the required date. I believed her and shame on me.

Was called by my care provider that they did receive payment. Called John Hancock once again. I'm told payment was sent out beginning of the month and should be there. I ask where the payment was sent. I had to ask the question 3 times to get an actual answer. They did not send it to the care provider. Again I am told that the documents are not there. After being on the phone 25 minutes this time, most of it on hold, they do have the documents and will submit for assignments of benefits.

At this point, I am angry and don't believe what they tell me. I hated taking it out on the person on the other end of the phone but there is a serious lack of caring and follow through going on at John Hancock. Someone is supposed to call me with 48-72 hours. On previous calls I asked to speak with a supervisor and was left on hold entirely too long, asked to have someone call me and was told they don't call out. So I will not be holding my breath waiting for the call back.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2013

I am a weekend care giver for a client of theirs. I have not been paid for 3 months. Every time we call to check on what's going on, we are told something different. I have worked for this lady for over a year. Now, all of the sudden, there is an issue. But nobody seems to know what it is. Very frustrating and unprofessional. GET IT TOGETHER JOHN HANCOCK.

John Hancock Life Insurance Company Information