2. Shopping

Jewelers Mutual Insurance Group

Jewelers Mutual Insurance Group
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.20/5

Jewelers Mutual Insurance Group Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Jewelers Mutual Insurance Group?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Jewelers Mutual Insurance Company?

Original review: Aug. 11, 2020

I lost an insured bracelet so I reported the loss. A few days later we found the bracelet and I cancelled the claim. Now I have to proof to the insurance that I really DO HAVE the bracelet. Had to submit a current photo of the bracelet!!! When I asked about this process I was almost accused of insurance fraud!! Needless to say, I will be looking for another insurance and will also let my jeweler who recommended this insurance know!!!!

Original review: June 12, 2020

During these riots I try to raise my insurance limit. They refuse to raise my limit on top of it give me hard time. Told me that I need to put 200000 fashion jewelry in the safe. They have some real POS people running the underwriters department and account management and unfortunately I realized that after paying them premiums for 2 years without a single claim. Lesson learned. Never again. Don't make the same mistake as me and save yourself. This company will not be there for you during crisis when you actually need insurance company the most. I've cancel my insurance as of today to switch to more reliable company.

Get buying tips about Jewelry Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

I started an application for a custom-designed engagement ring (including a family heirloom diamond) 6 weeks ago & the entire process has been what I would describe as "Amateur Hour". I submitted an application and I never even got a response that they had even received the application or were reviewing it until after I had to call in and ask what the hell is going on. Then, the application was initially declined despite being given a deadline to upload photos of said ring that was 2 weeks away. When I called in, the customer support staff was extremely apologetic and said they were working on fixing their communication processes. I call BS though b/c it seemed like a generic response.

After I uploaded the photos, the application was nearly immediately approved but all the sudden the rates had gone up without informing me in any way. More specifically, when I called it to finalize the application (one of their requirements), they gave me a cost value that was ~$20 higher than the initial quote. The explanation for this was that their rates had been revised higher on January 15th. Again no communication whatsoever from Jewelers Mutual of this higher rate. What's more, the customer support agent that I talked to initially only wanted to provide me a generic contract, and not my contract with the specific quote. Even when I pressed for it, they have refused to give me the documentation of my specific policy/plan until I've paid for it.

Does this not sound sketchy? My confidence in them has dropped considerably despite the recommendation that my jeweler gave me. I'm not concerned by the extra $20 to insure an expensive piece. The point is, if these are the sorts of hoops that one has to jump through just in the application process, I am extremely concerned what I might experience should something happen to the piece and I have to file a claim. Bottom line is that I'm probably not going to insure our priceless ring with Jewelers Mutual given the amateur-level process I've experienced since starting the application process 6 weeks ago, and are actively exploring alternative options.

Original review: March 5, 2019

I had a lost, and it took over a month for them to do anything. Lack of communication. Also they assigned a private investigator as if I made a false claim. Met with the PI and he asked a bunch of irrelevant questions in my eyes. So if you don’t want to be treated as so I wouldn’t recommend this company.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

They refuse to insure engagement rings if you travel, even 4-6 times a year domestically to visit family. Even if it's within the same city or state. They said they have high underwriting requirements on engagement rings so they don't insure engagement rings if you travel.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

Jewelers Mutual was recommended to me by my jeweler. The customer service personnel are wonderful, They are very pleasant, easy to work with and make sure all concerns are addressed. They provide Nordstrom-type customer service. However, their website is terrible. Detailed descriptions are not provided for each piece of jewelry -- just benign words, such as ring, necklace, bracelet, etc. with the appraised amount. The appraisals are not available to be seen online. I have 15 items insured and it's nearly impossible for me to know which piece of jewelry is which with just a simple description of "ring" with the appraised amount. In addition, the website's capability to update an appraisal for a piece of jewelry does not work. Customer Service told me the website is being upgraded. I certainly hope it is done soon.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2016

You couldn't tell that I had severely destroyed my wedding band because this company worked wonders. They buffed scratches, shined metal and precious stones. Were able to make the ring larger than originally was. They gave me multiple discounts on an already low price. I received 3 different discounts, one including an online discount since that is the way I found them. Very professional with beginner prices. Love them and will use and recommend in the future. The claims process couldn't have been simpler. I had no problems with paperwork or payment. Very quick fast and efficient. Thanks for making the process simple.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2016

The repair options are endless. I have had to send in my ring from my grandma at least 7 times since I got it. They were great and friendly with getting it back to me. The discounts are eh okay I supposed. I don't really expect A LOT of discounts since it is for jewelry. I do wish there was more like if it was cheaper to replace something than it is to repair etc etc. I would recommend this for the price. The price was a great price. IT covers a lot for that low monthly cost. I pay 20-30 bucks a month, great for a struggling college student. The claims process goes so swiftly! it was super fast. It took maybe 2 weeks tops to receive my ring back. I enjoy how quick it is to get back. The claims process is so fast.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2016

I found that the options available for obtaining repairs were varied enough that I did not have to worry that I would find one suitable to my needs. I have had other policies in the past that did not provide for as much variety in options. I was unable to get any discounts for my particular policy. I was disappointed that this was the case. However, I later learned through a friend that I was apparently not offered all of the discounts I should have been. The service, pricing options, and peace of mind that I got from having this policy is more than reasonable. I did some comparison shopping prior to purchasing and felt that this was a good value. Filing claims is easy and quick. Any questions I had throughout the process were quickly answered and very helpful. I never felt any questions to be condescending or impolite and all of my questions were addressed.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2016

I used the repair option one time and was happy with the service repair options for repair places and cost. They offered multiple locations for the repair and a convenient option for me. I purchased the insurance to protect the investment and did not do additional jewelry purchasing to use the discounts. Very satisfied with the price of the premiums for what I received in return. Just having the peace of mind for my investment was invaluable. I was happy with the service and quality of repair that I received. I was extremely pleased with the claims process. I submitted a claim for repair and received prompt attention, not a lot of hold time on the phone. The customer service rep was very friendly and said care of my needs and offered options for where I could get the repair service completed.

Jewelers Mutual Insurance Company author review by Cyril Tuohy

The Jewelers Mutual Insurance Company protects individuals as well as businesses from jewelry damage, theft or loss. The company has been in operation for more than 100 years.

• Personal coverage in the United States and Canada: Owners of personal jewelry who are residents of all 50 U.S. states and all 10 provinces and three territories of Canada can benefit from Jewelers Mutual Insurance.

• Local service providers: The company works with local professionals who can repair or replace your jewelry when necessary.

• Jewelers mutual charitable giving fund: Organizations and individuals can submit a request for charitable financial support to the company through the Community Foundation of the Fox Valley.

• Endorsed by the industry: Jewelers Mutual Insurance Company is endorsed by various jeweler organizations, including the American Gem Society, Jewelers of America, Manufacturing Jewelers and Suppliers of America, Canadian Jewelers Association, Canadian Jewelry Group and Jewelers Vigilance Canada.

• Business coverage: Comprehensive coverage for jewelry businesses, including vendors and repair professionals.

by Cyril Tuohy Insurance Contributing Editor

Cyril Tuohy, has covered the insurance industry for more than 15 years. He is an expert at writing about personal and commercial property-casualty insurance and covers life, annuities and retirement as a staff writer for a top insurance trade magazine aimed at insurance agents and financial advisors.

Jewelers Mutual Insurance Group Company Information