Humana Health Insurance

Humana Health Insurance

2.6/5 (32 ratings)
Find a Health Insurance partner

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

About Humana Health Insurance

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

Humana Health Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Humana Health Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Humana?

Original review: Jan. 22, 2022

We move here in Sebring, FL. 6 years ago and signed with Humana Gold Plus HMO. Their plan allows for no co pay for Primary care Dr. They have many other items that are no deductible and also have dental, Vision and hearing plans. My wife have had many health problems in past 6 years and Humana has been good to us. We sometimes have to go to a larger city for Specialists. My wife developed Chronic Lymphoma Leukemia and her monthly drug bill is close to $18,000 and Humana has faithfully paid all but a couple thousand, and other help from hospital we received.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2022

I have had Humana Gold Plus for two years. I have had many other insurances while working for the same company in the past. Humana Gold Plus seems to be very comparable to the others. Of course this is an Advantage plan as opposed to regular insurance I had when working. I really like the mail order pharmacy but if I had a life saving medication I probably would not trust the mail with it.

Get buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2021

I have been extremely pleased with my insurance. Unfortunately since I have had it, I had to have two shoulder replacements, stay in rehab (for surgeries) and physical therapy. In addition I had a fall and had to go to the ER for concussion tests. I would be in insurmountable debt if I would not have had this excellent insurance.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2021

Since I've been on the "Gold Indemnity" plan, with Humana, for the past 3 years, I am happy to say the following. Humana has fulfilled my needs. They have been very communicable and they are a good company to look into for seniors. Having a supplemental health provider is important. This company has shown to abreast in current affairs and events in the world, world, caters to their members, for getting you the coverage needed, for the expensive cost and fees, of medicines and expensive doctor and hospital visits.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2021

This company has some coverage or perks I wouldn't expect to have such as I have been able to use like food allotment, transportation, when the drivers don't stand you up, over the counter medicine allotment to order from their pharmacy, but you will have to wait a couple of weeks for delivery, but these are good perks. There is also mail order pharmacy, but I don't like their mail order pharmacy, because they try to change the medication sometimes the doctor orders to another type if the one the doctor orders is more expensive. They don't always stay current with medications/doctor's orders or in touch with doctors.

They have trouble getting some medications or filling some prescriptions and it takes a while in fact several phone calls to make these corrections and sometimes to get your medicine takes up to 3 weeks or longer if they mess up. Also depending on which Humana program you have and if you have a secondary insurance in some cases you can get your medication free which is nice but I don't feel it outweighs the problems with their pharmacy.

Also they have dental, hearing, and eye coverage, but the dental, hearing and eye have a low amount you can spend, but because I am on a Medicare HMO some things you or your doctor has to fight with to get qualified for to do certain procedures even simple ones. For instance I have to take a shot every month and sometimes this is a fight because I have to have a nurse or doctor give me the shot, very simple issue that they don't like to cover, and of course some prices seem to go up every year especially medicine and for others I talked to co-payments and prices for coverage go up while some of these perks have been eliminated or have gone down.

At one time way before the pandemic they had a program where a case manager, I can't remember if these were actual nurses, they made house calls for wellness checks every week or two weeks. They eliminated this program and as a single senior I really appreciated this check up in person etc.. Now this is done by phone and mail and is so impersonable and annoying because they ask you the same thing all the time. When you had a case manager that visited you in person, they got to know you and learned your weak and strong areas and didn't have to always ask you some of the same questions. Some even took my vital signs at one time.

Once a year they try to send a doctor to your home but they do nothing for you, but write down your medicine etc.. I find this to be a waste of my time, my belief is they do this to see how long they are going to allow you to have insurance or at what price, etc...Some more unwelcomed things is they are trying to now incorporate psychological treatment only by phone.

In some cases this helps to be able to reach out to someone and should be used as an option available, but not to try to convert those that are in regular mental health care to convert to the phone only, because sometimes you don't know if someone needs help if you have not been able to check out their behavior or actions and I find this to be so wrong to limit mental health to only a phone call, but I do feel it should be an available option especially during times of crisis or like now when some people are shut in and it could also help seniors that don't get out anymore. Also another unwelcomed thing is they call for every little thing usually too early in the morning including when they do auto calls which they do a lot. They do not have an option to stop certain calls they do and leave others to continue that you want to receive, so in other words if you opt out you opt out of all calls.

Original review: May 16, 2022

If you have a problem with your policy, or pharmaceuticals (you will) you will spend an hour or more going through automated systems to get a person who can't you and you need to be transferred. You will then wait again. Horrible.

Original review: April 22, 2022

After having a claim denied, I called several times and spent over 30 min. On hold on a couple occasions. The supervisor couldn’t explain the denial and promised to call me back with answers soon. A week later no callback. Again I was put on hold for WAY too long and another promise of callback.. No callback. These people seem intent on running you around until you give up. #TERRIBLE.

Original review: March 14, 2022

I have had Humana dental and vision since 2018 and used my dental insurance to purchase dentures in Aug 2021. I was informed by dentist office the claim was denied. Spoke to an agent at Humana and she said that the dentist office didn’t show extractions. I told her they didn’t do the extractions, I got extractions and dentures in early 2000’s. She said they only need to write on the claim that they did not do the extractions and they would pay 50% of the bill. I told the dentist what they said. Didn’t hear from the dentist or Humana again. I received a bill last week from the dentist for the same amount. I called Humana before calling the dentist and they said they denied it because the dentist didn’t pull my teeth and the extractions occurred before I purchased their plan. Today is the first time I’ve ever heard such a thing like that.

The sales representative that called me when I purchased the plan told me that they pay for dentures. I specifically asked about dentures because that and vision was the only thing I was concerned about. Today I asked to speak to a supervisor and they not talking to me but sending messages through the customer service. I also told them to cancel my plan and I want a refund from August when they denied the service to this month payment which will be eight months. They said they’d pay from January.

I thought they were a good company but I see they prey on the elderly. I don’t know what consumer affairs will do, but I do know, I will not let this go. They have been taking my money all these years and now I’m using the plan they have trumped up excuses to not pay. They suck. I hope you can do something other than have me write a review. I’m the less bit concerned with my experience being posted on a blog for others to see, I want to know what actions I can take. I’m not writing this review just to be writing.

Original review: March 5, 2022

My mom fell 1/5/2022. Had surgery 1/6/2022. Orthopedic dr requested IH rehabilitation hospital, Humana denied based on her age. We appeal and they denied again. Unfortunately they discriminated because of her age. We paid out of pocket for 11 days in rehabilitation hospital and she did the therapy Humana said she was not capable of achieving! She should have not been put in a box, she lived independently before the fall and is now back home again! Humana should reimburse private paid rehabilitation hospital! We will be looking to change our coverage as well as hers during period of change at the end of this year! Beth **. Gonzales Louisiana.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2022

My Dr and pharmacy (Walgreens) have been working for 3 weeks trying to get a prior authorization done for a drug that I need. They have been given a tremendous run around and this is disgraceful. I need this drug in a certain timeframe and they have given the Drs office the wrong number as to where to send the prior authorization form. This is going on and on and I am totally disgusted!!

Humana author review by Joseph Burns

Humana is one of the largest and best-known health insurance companies in the United States. It offers health care services for individuals, business owners and military personnel.

• Large variety of plans: Consumers can choose between HMOs, PPOs and other plans. There are group plans available for employers.

• Well-known company: Humana has been in business for a long time and is one of the best-known health insurance companies in the United States.

• Supplemental and low-cost options available: Humana offers supplemental insurance for seniors and low-cost insurance for people on fixed incomes.

• HMOs and PPOs are cheaper: Health savings accounts and other plans tend to have higher premiums or higher deductibles.

• Offers Medicare Advantage plans: Humana offers Medicare Advantage plans.

by Joseph Burns Health Insurance Advisor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

Humana Health Insurance Company Information