Genworth Long Term Care Insurance

Genworth Long Term Care
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.29/5

Since writing our first policy in 1871 as The Life Insurance Company of Virginia, we've been committed to helping people achieve and protect the comfort of financial security. Today, even in this challenging environment, Genworth is strategically focused on helping more people realize the dream of homeownership and navigate the financial challenges of aging.

For millions of people across the U.S., we provide financial security and protection through long term care funding solutions. Our mortgage insurance can help you secure low down payment loans and realize the dream of home ownership faster – even for the first time. When you’re financially secure, you have the freedom to get where you want to go— no matter what path you want to take. With Genworth, you’ll never have to go it alone.

Genworth is headquartered in Richmond, Virginia, and we conduct business in all 50 states. Our main office locations in the U.S. are Lynchburg, VA, Raleigh, NC, Richmond, VA, and Stamford, CT.

Genworth Long Term Care Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Genworth Long Term Care?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Genworth?

Original review: July 13, 2016

When I purchased my GE Long Term Care Policy, I was told they don't raise premiums on these policies. I looked at the history of the company and at that time, it was true. I was worried it was going to be like my Blue Cross health insurance policy which never failed to raise premiums every year and every birthday. However, not only has this former GE entity increased premiums over the past few years... It's gotten way out of control. With the latest 30% annual increase and the promise to do it again in the future, they appear to have gotten as out of control as their medical health insurance counterparts.

I am now being told that if I can no longer afford my new premium, which has more than doubled to $5000+/year, I can lower my daily benefit. Wow, this sounds so familiar and hits home so hard. Prior to going on Medicare, this perfectly healthy female was paying close $2000 per month for the privilege of having a $1750 deductible Blue Cross PPO. It was called PPO1500, but, when I turned 64, they raised my deductible and my premiums at the same time. Being healthy, I never met my deductible so it was money right into the hands of the insurance company. It was unbelievable. I am so grateful for my Medicare... Every single day.

The licensed insurance agent who sold me this insurance policy is now dead... But I have his communication saved + every piece of paper I have received or sent regarding this policy. When I purchased this GE insurance policy, I entered into a contract. For the specified amount of money I was to pay them, I would receive the correlating benefit I chose as my option for care. The whole point of this policy is peace of mind as I age or get debilitated They promised to care for me, at the level I chose, if and when I am unable to care for myself.

However, Genworth (GNW), is now its own corporate entity; similar to every other corporation on Wall Street. The corporations have turned their backs on us. Their primary objective is growing their bottom line while in turn returning profit to their investors, quarter over quarter. This fact in itself precludes their purported primary objective of providing a specific amount of long-term care to me, for the agreed-upon premium, specified, I pay for coverage. It was clear that if I did not pay this premium in a timely manner that coverage would cease. It was not clear that the premium would rise, based on their corporate greed. It was also not clear that they would disengage from one corporation in order to become another entity altogether. The only thing that remains consistent is my semi-annual bill in the mail.

GE knew the business it was entering into when they offered my contract for long term care. They have analysts that project into the future and map out their growth based on their products. Those of us who decided to proactively insure our illness and aging have invested much money toward this objective. What is it that Genworth wants or thinks we should do when we get too ill or too old to care for ourselves? Will we be treated like worthless entities, lined up in cots, waiting to die, in some large institution somewhere?

I’m also going to submit this horrific injustice to the more liberal consumer friendly Bernie Sanders, who can perhaps address it along with the healthcare debacle and social security threats he's attempting to make right. Watch out Genworth, we the people are coming for you! As we the boomers age, the corporations are going to attempt to take advantage of us more and more until they are stopped. I am going to try to stop them. I am going to lodge a formal complaint with my insurance commissioner in California and seek a law firm to file a class action lawsuit. This is now my Cause célèbre.

Original review: July 7, 2016

My wife and I both purchased policies in 2009. We were encouraged to purchase the policies as soon as possible to insure that our rates would be affordable and told that the premiums would not go up. Now, a mere seven years later, NY State has allowed Genworth 60% increases. This is a pure bait & switch that NY State should be protecting the consumers from. As a consumer I did everything I could to protect myself and my family. Now seven years later and $25K out of pocket I'm told I need to pay up more or cut my coverage. When is the insurance industry going to be held accountable and when is NYS Department of Insurance going to start to protect the taxpayers and policy holders of New York State? Please forward any information regarding a class action suit against Genworth.

Original review: June 18, 2016

With more than 27,000 invested in a policy with Genworth, my premium has almost doubled and I am now retired on a fixed income and cannot afford this increase... I was going to have to make a sacrifice to make the original premium, which I was TOLD would NEVER increase... Thanks for the lies and robbing me of my security!

Original review: June 17, 2016

My father didn't receive his May quarterly statement. He knows when the statements come for his life insurance policy that he has had since 1984!! He called and they stated he should receive it soon. Well he did... usually it's 244.87 per quarter. He received a premium notice - of $1200.00. REALLY... This is robbery!!! He's on a fixed income. He's ready for a class action lawsuit!! What can he do... What recourse should be taken here!! Anyone???

Original review: June 13, 2016

In 2014 all choices I had were for 4 years. I choose option 3. In 2015 the choices were not the same, they inserted 3 year options where the year before it was for 4 years. I just checked the box I had checked in 2014 on my 2015 option page. Did not realize it was for 3 years. Almost the same amt. of money so I checked that same box. This year my option paper came and it had only 3 yr. options on it. I called, the girl thought it was funny. I said "Oh I can go down in years but never back up" and she said yes. So now I am paying for a three year plan which was slightly lower from my four year plan by maybe 100 dollars. These insurance companies get you with their tricks by publishing their materials to look similar to what you are used to. That is all I have to say.

Original review: June 7, 2016

I have recently received the lamentable rate hikes and noted that many have called for a class action suit in their evaluations. No one seems to have brought such a suit and I would love to be apprised of the status of such a suit if there is one. I will sign it.

Original review: May 25, 2016

We have had their long term care insurance since 2001 with no increase in premiums until about 9 months ago. Now it increased again with a notice this month, May 2016. These increases have amounted to just under $700.00 a quarter. That means nearly $2800.00 a year. This is unbelievable, especially since we are now retired, on a fixed income and may need this coverage before long. How in the world can the insurance commission of every state allow this to happen? We have excellent coverage, one that they no longer write. It's apparent they are attempting to force us to reduce coverage by taking another policy and supposedly reduce our premiums but in fact will continue to raise the rate no matter what we do.

We have well over $60,000 invested in this insurance and feel we can't afford to drop it now but afraid it won't be long and we won't be able to afford it any longer. We feel a class action suit needs to happen against this company. Shame on them for attacking seniors like this, especially when these policies were written they knew full well we were all baby boomers, a lot of us, and the costs to cover needs would likely be great. Naturally one day it had to be paid out so plan for it. That's only Good Business Practice. If a Class Action suit is in the works or to be in the works count us in!!!

Original review: May 23, 2016

My mother thought she was covered, but this has been terrible. They only cover $100 per day. You have to pay home upfront then get reimbursed. They do not cover until your medicare runs out. Medicare cut her off at 71 days, she has glioblastoma, can barely walk due to issues from the prednisone. My mom worked and paid her taxes all her life, purchased a plan for just in case, feels ripped off by Genworth.

Original review: May 21, 2016

My wife and I have had Genworth LTC insurance for thirty years. Now that we are retired and on a fixed income, they have raised our premiums so high it's impossible to keep the insurance. They do not seem to care that we had their insurance for that many years and never missed a payment. There is no remorse from this company. It's not fair for us to just give up that many years and money down the drain. There should be some kind of consideration of payback.

Original review: May 20, 2016

If Genworth is actually granted permission to raise rates in California almost 96%, then all subscribers should be given the option to get out of the program with a complete refund of all premiums paid PLUS interest! I signed up for Long Term Care in 2001. I was told if I died before 65, all premiums would be refunded minus benefits. Well, Genworth is effectively killing off this program for most of us before we can use it and after we have been paying 15 years of premiums. Genworth should be FORCED to return all premiums paid plus interest, given their usurious policies. What a hoax this has turned out to be!

Original review: May 15, 2016

After seven years with Genworth, we have been hit this year with a 60% rate increase. I have been looking for a way to bring a class action suit against this company. My husband and I simply cannot afford to pay the new rates, but we are in our seventies and are likely to need the coverage. Through research I have uncovered the shady financial practices at Genworth. What is in the news now is the securities lawsuit, but in 2009 a lawsuit was brought against them for the alleged transfer of assets out of its long-term care reserves (the plaintiff lost). Had those assets remained in place, the argument went, they would have generated enough funds to cover the future costs of Genworth's LTC clients. I called the New York State Insurance Department and their lawyer explained that the rate increase was approved by the state. Some consumer protection agency!

Original review: May 14, 2016

My husband and I have had LTCI with Genworth, formerly GE since July 2000. At the time, the agent did say that the premiums would probably not increase. They did increase 3 years ago, but at an understandable rate. The increase this year was at a whopping 63%. Both Genworth's and NYS Dept of Insurance actions are deplorable. Both my husband and I are on a fixed income and we are not sure how we can afford such a rate increase and are also unsure of what we are to do about it. We are open to join a class action suit, if one exists.

Original review: May 13, 2016

We have had Genworth for 10 years. Unfortunately, we now have to use it & all of a sudden we get a letter telling us what the increases are or how to lower them by dropping some of the coverages. Where is the Insurance Dept.? How do they allow a 60% increase. I agree with another complaint... This should go back to the shareholders & management of Genworth. We should not be penalized for their errors. Class action suit is definitely what we have to do.

Original review: May 10, 2016

My wife and I have had Genworth LTC insurance since 2001. We have just been informed of a 25 percent increase in premium, the third increase in the past four years -- a total of 52 percent. I am in my 80's, my wife in her 70's and we are in fixed income. We will have to cut costs of food or medicine or otherwise lower our standard of living. We can't afford to drop it because in the next few years, we may really need it. Genworth offers a solution to reduce our coverage while maintaining the current price. We can't afford that either as when we bought, we purchased the maximum amount that would fit our budget. What are we to do?

Original review: May 5, 2016

My mother just received notice that her long-term care insurance premium is going up 54%. From roughly $9,500 to roughly $14,500 a year. She has had this policy for many years. A sudden increase of this magnitude is an outrage. I'm finding nothing on the NYS Department of Financial Services Department website about this yet.

Original review: May 5, 2016

Genworth is trying to "isolate" the Long Term Care part of their business from their other insurance products. I believe the ultimate goal of their strategy is to isolate the LTC business with the assistance of the State Regulatory Commissions so that they can make this business "insolvent" which will force the policies to be administered by various states' "Life and Health Insurance Guaranty Associations." Usually the maximum amount of this coverage would only be $300,000 and you would still have to pay the premiums. Between 2009 and 2014 Genworth claims to have lost over $2 billion and have requested rate increases ranging from 33 to 130 percent.

In 2013 they increased our premiums by 44% and 60%. I read from others in New York state that they are getting 60% increases. I think my wife and I are going to cut our losses and not pay any more premiums after had paid $44,000 for the past 13 years. PLEASE WRITE TO YOUR RESPECTIVE GOVERNORS AND STATE INSURANCE COMMISSIONERS WITH YOUR CONCERNS.

Original review: May 4, 2016

When I opened my premium this month, absolute shock after paying all these years, and knowing how many more years I have to pay, to see this HUGE premium increase. I simply cannot afford to keep an annual premium this size. It's been tough to keep up the premium annually as it is, and I feel like all the years I have paid in have been money flushed down the drain.

Original review: April 30, 2016

I have Genworth a long time (used to be part of General Electric). At time of long-term care purchase, I was told rates would NEVER go up. Well, up, up, up they go. Sure, I have the option to reduce my premiums by reducing my coverage, but DUH - why would I do that. Better to drop the policy. NJ Insurance Commission allows them to up their rates; they are just as guilty when they know that many seniors are on a fixed income. Wonder if they get a kickback in licensing fees! Hmmm. To those of you that gave Genworth more than 3 stars, it seems you've never used the policy and are commenting on customer service, etc. Well - wait until you're paying thru the wazoo like the rest of us!

Original review: April 16, 2016

I have the insurance since 12/2002. I have spoken to the company once or twice in that time and all my questions were answered immediately. I have a dollar amount of coverage. When the dollar amount of coverage is used then coverage ends. I could use the coverage amount while at home, by having someone come to my home to care for me. However, if I need a medical facility I would be covered for that up to my dollar amount. I believe the value is good. Since I no longer have to pay yearly premiums my coverage is limited. The coverage I have is my choice and I will still receive medical type benefits. I declined to continue to pay the premium because of the cost but I did not lost the premiums I paid. I will have that money to pay future benefits.

Original review: April 13, 2016

The 60% increase in Long Term Insurance should be absorbed by the stockholders because this was caused by a company error. Customers are NOT held accountable in any business failures due to company mismanagement. I suspect the agents we told to write as many policies as possible just for the revenue. Now the Ponzi pot is drying up! LET'S GET THIS CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT GOING!!!

Original review: April 12, 2016

They have a simple billing and payment process. Policy is clearly explained. I have no need to use customer service. I just pay a bill annually. There are a number of options, each clearly explained. Comparisons were made (at the time of purchase) to current rates. Projections of possible costs and scenarios were clearly laid out. I opted for complete coverage, with an initial period of 3 months self-pay before coverage kicks in. It was the costliest option but it's what my husband wanted because of health issues he had seen his father go through. It seemed very expensive at the time that we signed up but was comparable to other plans and had the best ratings. So far, the rates have not changed while the rates of other companies have changed.

Original review: April 8, 2016

Sometimes, the employees tend to be a little standoffish which is not a good thing. I expect to feel welcomed into the company like family. But instead, I feel like they feel as though they're obligated to be nice to me. Policy options stand well with me right now. I just like the company and the way that they handle themselves. Which is why I would recommend it to my friends and family. Coverage isn't that well with me. However, they do make me happy most of the time which is why I chose that option. I just think the employees should be taught to be nicer to their clients.

Original review: April 7, 2016

I bought Genworth Long Term Care Ins. 12 years ago at the age of 56. I was told by the sales rep that my premiums would never go up. I'm now retired on a fixed income and just received a letter that I will be getting a 60% increase in my premiums. I have 12 years of payments invested in this policy and now the company puts me up against the wall with little choice? It is obvious from the steep increase that Genworth is trying to force people to cancel their policies. How did the State of New York approve such a large increase? If there is a Class Action Suit count me in.

Original review: March 31, 2016

Genworth sold me their long term healthcare plan when I was 21 years old. I have been paying in for 14 years. The reason I purchased it at 21 was to ensure I never had to pay the high premiums people pay when they buy these policies at 50+. The sales person even let me know the premium doesn't increase and since I am buying it at such a young age I am well positioned to always pay the current premium. Additionally they stopped offering the life insurance plan I have, this seems like a very convenient way to force people into a less inclusive plan. Well last week I got a letter that stated they are raising premiums by 60% even though the year before they said the money I have already invested has been growing steadily above the level I would typically need for a day. This is clearly a way for their executives to make higher bonuses and has nothing to do with its clients. I do not understand how the state of NY approved this.

Original review: March 29, 2016

My wife and I purchased a LTC policy about 5 years ago. Age (Late 50's early 60's). It was expensive, but we thought we were doing the right thing. We just received a notice that our 2 policies were each increased 60%. Well what can I say, we obviously can't afford this. I am afraid to keep premiums as is and downgrade benefits because there will be another hike down the road! Kind of like throwing good money after bad. We lost our money (I guess we'll get a small credit towards what we paid). Had I known this I would have never took these policies out!! Please let me know if a class action suit comes up. I'll sign up!

Original review: March 27, 2016

My husband had the insurance with GENWORTH and never had to use it. He passes away two years ago and still did not use it as he passed away in his sleep. This was after paying for 18 years. About two years ago I received an increase in my premiums. The amount was small. I had no problems with that. However this 60% increase has to be looked into. It is outrageous!

Original review: March 26, 2016

My parents divorced in the late 70's. My mother took a policy on my father "just in case". She has paid in over 45,000 dollars. Her surrender is 57 dollars. She has passed. Her last month premium was 455.00. Robbed for many years. I plan to file a class action suit. ** if you would like to join me.

Original review: March 20, 2016

We have had Genworth Long Term Care Insurance for 20 years and have never used it. They raised our rates 68%. My husband is 71 and I am 68. We have no idea what to do. This company needs to GO!! They are ruining people's lives. I am guessing we have invested 80,000 in premiums so far. Just worried of what to do now.

Original review: March 18, 2016

I had a heads up about the increase from a friend. I received the 60%-increase letter today. Feeling disgusted, angry and scared. Any class action lawsuit, count me in.

Original review: March 17, 2016

I bought Genworth Long Term Healthcare under the assumption I was being a responsible adult. I wanted to spare my children the worry of how to take of me in case I needed long term care. I'm now 72 bought the policy seven years ago. I had a policy for five-year care. Where is the responsibility of the Genworth? Did they not calculate cost of health care rising, people living longer? Any company estimate on housing costs to repair things can change. But a estimate that goes up 54% would put most people out of business. I was told by customer service that their rate increase was approved by New York State. How can such a large increase be allowed? Right now I'm trying to figure what to do. Lose 35,00 dollars and long term health care as a gift to Genworth because that's what it will be if I discontinue my coverage. I really am not too happy about this. I was trusting a company to have a bit of my interest in mind. How wrong can I have been?

Genworth Long Term Care Company Information