2. Travel
  3. Travel Insurance

4.2/5 (71 ratings)

About Generali Global Assistance

Generali Global Assistance is a full-service travel insurance service provider that offers three distinct plans built to serve diverse needs. You can compare and contrast plan options and check out various coverages like trip cancellation, baggage loss, medical evacuation and more on the company’s website.

Pros

• Wide variety of services
  • Operates in 25+ countries
  • Offers Iris Identity Protection app

Cons

• Services can be expensive
  • Some services redundant/unnecessary

Bottom Line

Generali offers comprehensive coverage options for travel insurance, identity protection, cyber security, home care and more. It’s available in more than 25 countries, but its services can be expensive for some.

Top Generali Global Assistance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Very easy to apply online. It was a very straightforward process and they help explained all lines of the application. They are very highly rated by many more people than the rest...

Verified

Easy to work with and answered all my questions. I’ve never bought this much insurance before so the jury is still out. The size of the trip is unusual to us. We are hoping to giv...

What is Generali Global Assistance?

Generali Global Assistance is a travel insurance provider that offers a variety of care options and travel-related aid. Its overseas travel, online security and eldercare services include:

• Travel insurance: Protects against lost luggage, cancellation and medical emergency costs.
  • Vacation rental insurance: Provides comprehensive coverage for vacation rental properties.
  • Identity and cyber protection: Wards off online identity theft attempts.
  • Beneficiary companion: Provides care after the passing of a loved one.
  • Travel assistance: Helps with overseas language interpretation, medical assistance and more.
  • Travel risk management: Provides businesses with international travel assistance and risk mitigation.
  • ScamAssist: Helps prevent credit card fraud by rating the scam likelihood of virtual messages.
  • Home care: Partners policyholders with dedicated care advisors to help take care of loved ones at home.

How does Generali Global Assistance work?

Generali Global Assistance has a multinational presence, and its services are available in more than 25 countries.You can sign up for the Generali service of your choice by calling the company. After you speak with a representative to customize a protection plan to your needs, Generali offers the option to add on extra services.

Generali travel insurance costs

Generali doesn’t list prices on its website, but the cost of its travel insurance is based on your individual trip (as stated on its website, average travel insurance prices range from 4% to 12% of the total trip cost). The company offers three different plan levels: Standard, Preferred and Premium. You can request a demo before signing up for the service.

COVID-19 travel coverage

If you, a family member or a traveling companion are diagnosed with COVID-19 before or during your trip and you meet the requirements for coverage due to sickness, you can get trip cancellation, trip interruption, travel delay or medical, dental and emergency assistance/transportation coverage.

The company will also cover additional lodging expenses and a travel insurance extension if you’re required to isolate at your destination and your return is delayed.

Generali Global Assistance FAQ

How do you file a claim with Generali Global Assistance?
Visit the Generali website to submit your claim, which will be reviewed by a company representative.
What services other than travel insurance does Generali offer?
Generali offers various insurance, identity protection and care options, including home care, scam assistance, vacation rental insurance and beneficiary companion services.
Where is Generali available?
It’s available in 25+ countries across the globe. In the U.S., Generali has offices in San Diego, California, and Bethesda, Maryland.
Who owns Generali Global Assistance?
Generali Global Assistance is owned by Europ Assistance North America, Inc., which also owns companies like Trip Mate.

Is Generali Global Assistance worth it?

Generali Global Assistance might be worth it if you want extra protection against credit card or identity fraud when traveling or making online transactions. Most Generali customers find the company’s services helpful in ensuring security and safety during overseas travel and when working online.

Generali Global Assistance Reviews

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Generali Global Assistance?

Original review: Aug. 14, 2021

We were going on vacation in Turks and Caicos and the place required that we had travel insurance. When I did a search, Generali was one of the first ones that popped up that had all the criteria required. Turks and Caicos also recommended them in the top three companies to look at. The villa we stayed at also offered us information on the travel insurance and Generali was number one in their list of options. Overall, Generali came back as one of the top rated companies and that pushed me in that direction.

Generali was one of the better websites that allowed me to pick through different options. I had three tabs open on my browser with the different companies and I was toggling back and forth looking at who's got what. It was really difficult with some of the other companies because there were different options. Generali's website was the easiest to navigate. I just plugged it in and they immediately gave me the three different levels. I could see what I was getting, what it was going to cost me, and how they would different. That just made it really simple. I kept doing the searches on the company because you have no idea what you’re buying because you may not use it. But there were plenty of people who may have had to use it at one point in time.

I would have never considered using Generali if it wasn't for the pandemic and the requirement of the travel. But I found that maybe in the future, I would likely use travel insurance because when you go away and even though you have your own health insurance, it will only cover certain things. If you’re in a foreign country that has limited healthcare options, they may have to send you elsewhere. I read some horror stories of people who had something happen. Somebody had to have dental surgery and there was nobody there on the island to do it, so they had to send them somewhere else. That was covered. If it hadn't been covered, they would have had to pay upwards of $200,000 just to get transported. When I read the binder that came with what I got from Generali, I was surprised at how much stuff they covered. There were things you wouldn't even think of.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thanks Anthony = that is great to hear! Thanks for your business. Enjoy your trip!

Get buying tips about Travel Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2020

I've used Generali before. My mother was sick in the hospital and I had to postpone a trip. They gave me my money back. I was shocked because I've never used it before. You have to fill forms out and get doctors to fill forms. You have to show evidence and I get it because there are a lot of phonies out there. Recently, I was trying to get insurance that has primary medical. I went online, entered names, birth dates, dates of trip, where you're going, and how much you're spending on each person that you want to insure. It generates a number and you're either happy or not happy.

It's easy to fill out the forms. There are three or four choices of what you want. There's a list of a few products that you can choose from. Make sure you know what you're buying. You can't complain if you don't buy the correct product. I've done it enough times that I know what to look for and I'm fine with it. But there are some people that just take the cheapest product and for $20 or $30 more, you can get a better product. When you cut a trip short, they cover that if something were to happen and you have to go home. You can use it as a secondary insurance but if you can get it at a reasonable cost for primary, if something happens, you get reimbursed much quicker. The rates are really good too.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you for your positive review! We appreciate your feedback and the time it took for you to share your experience.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2020

The second time we used Generali, my wife had a medical situation arise that appeared very serious and had to have an operation, and everything turned out fine. We provided them with the proof of the illness and they paid off on the insurance claim. It was very hassle-free so we've continued to use them because when we needed the insurance, it worked.

This year, we had to cancel. A lot of people did cancel some trips. We had bought the insurance and the refund process was a little bit confusing. I didn't know if we bought the insurance through the VRBO site. We called Generali and they said, "You got to call VRBO. It's got to be refunded through them." It was a little bit of a hassle. I called Generali and they said, "You got to get a refund through VRBO." We'd paid for one insurance and we needed a refund because we'd canceled that trip within the canceled time on VRBO. So, we got our money on the house back from VRBO, but we needed to get the insurance back 'cause we didn't use it. We got emails saying they'd refund our premium. But it turned out, somehow, the original debit as well as the credit, disappeared. We never did see a credit but we never did get charged for it. It was within a week or so after booking the house that we cancelled. Maybe they intercepted the original charge.

Generali Global Assistance response

Original review: Oct. 27, 2020

We do a fair amount of international travel. If we do it with a tour company, they usually offer travel insurance, but it's at a high premium. So we've gone on internet and looked at different insurance companies. When you're looking for a price and you pull up a list, there are 20 insurance companies that will come up. Each one of them is gonna have their price and they range anywhere from $100 to $500 for a particular trip, so then you have to look at the small print. When we first did this a few years ago, we looked closely at Generali, and then from that point on, we decided to zero in on this company. We don't understand all the small print and the difference between one company and the other anyway. Generali was was not necessarily the cheapest, but it wasn't the most expensive either. It's the one we felt the most comfortable with.

We've used them five times and purchasing it is straightforward. It's very simple for us because we're used to it, so we know that we have to have the invoice for the trip and flight plans. If it's through a travel company, we need to have that invoice number and a copy of the invoice. This last year we've had a couple of trips that got cancelled because of the COVID. We simply called them up, referenced the trip that we were referring to and then got back to them and let them know that it was rescheduled for 2021. In two cases, there was a premium increase and I argued with this. “How can you give me an increase? We didn't do anything.” However, I understand inflation and how that works. There's also more of a risk going forward because of the uncertainty of international travel.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you for your review and feedback! We understand that while your trip may not have changed, you may be buying insurance coverage further in advance, which could result in a different insurance premium. We wish you safe travels!

Original review: Oct. 1, 2020

Turks and Caicos government recommended Generali. I couldn't go there unless I had Generali, because of COVID-19. I have international insurance with my health insurance. But I had to have that special travel one to go into Turks and Caicos. I had six people going. One of my son's significant other did all six of us online. She was done in one minute. The policy got me into the country and that's what I needed for my vacation for two weeks. It was a $50 policy.

Generali should get hooked up to all these Caribbean islands that are requiring this extra insurance. They need to get with their government and say, “Will you promote our insurance?" Because whenever Americans travel outside the country, if they were an experienced person or if they network, they need to know what they need to go to that country so they go to that travel website. But America has it too. They say, “Oh, don't travel to Russia,” or “Don't travel to China,” or whatever on ours, but it doesn't tell you you have to have insurance going in there. You need to go to the marketing person for your company at the department and just say, “Hey, I was just talking to this lady from Turks and Caicos. This is how she found our company, was from their government," which requires the insurance for the two weeks that I'm there.

Generali Global Assistance response

Thank you for your positive review! Letting us know how we are doing is the best way to ensure the best possible service to all of our customers. We value your feedback and hope you will consider us again for your next trip!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2021

Once we have decided we want a travel insurance the first time, I was looking at different websites and different companies. And Generali was the best one. We've been happy with it.

That's great to hear Antoni. Thanks for choosing to #TravelSmarter

Original review: Sept. 3, 2021

Their policy was very reasonably priced. But we had to cancel because of COVID and they called me right back and answered all my questions. They were very helpful.

Generali Global Assistance response

We're sorry you had to cancel your plans but so glad we could help.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2021

Generali was easy to get ahold of. My wife purchased the travel insurance because we didn't know what was going to go on with COVID. So, it was a little precaution because the trip was so far out.

Thanks for your review!

Original review: Aug. 25, 2021

I had a trip planned and I bought insurance from CSA. I believe it was $378. I am a senior and also have underlying chronic kidney disease. I cancelled my trip due to Covid and received a full refund from the hotel. I put a claim in with CSA for refund on my travel insurance and they denied my claim. I have had to cancel so many trips due to Covid and I have received refunds from everyone, cruises, plane fare, etc. I am disgusted that this company is being so unfair in the times we are going through right now. I guess it is all about the money for them. Terrible customer service, would never use them again. Susan D

Hello Susan.

We are sorry you had to cancel your trip. We remain focused on supporting you and fully understand why many travelers are choosing to postpone their trip. Therefore, we are, as a special accommodation and in the interest of serving our customers in this crisis, allowing customers who were to depart on their trip between January 29, 2020, and September 30, 2021, to modify their plan coverage dates by applying for a voucher to be used for a policy covering a future booking.

To apply for a voucher please phone 800-874-2442.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2021

We traveled to Puerto Rico and when we were going back to Alaska, we had four flights to catch. Our first flight was delayed because the airlines had a staffing issue. That delay would have caused us to miss our other three flights. I called Generali looking to see if that was covered and if they would help us get another flight out of there. They didn't. We had to switch airlines in order to make our other remaining flights. We spent $1,000 because of the delay and because of the coverage. We had to buy last-minute super expensive flight tickets. Because of the delay, everything was not reimbursed. We had to then change our other flights, pay those fees, and buy a hotel overnight. I didn't have a great experience with Generali because I didn't get any assistance.

The representative was fine but the information wasn't given up front. It wasn't disclosed to me that if an airline traveled outside of a certain context that it wouldn't be covered. I was being honest with them. I was told only afterward how the flight would have been covered. I wish I had known that prior to using Generali as a fail-safe for the trip.

Generali Global Assistance response

Hello Mary Catherine. We were sorry to hear of your travel issues. We do see a call into our Customer Service Team about your flight delay, but not an official claim. While "crew rest" isn't a covered event under your policy as this is the Common Carrier's failure to provide travel arrangements, we would recommend you submit a claim for a full review and determination. You can begin the claim process at generalitravel.com/claims

Generali Global Assistance Company Information