2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

1.6/5 (102 ratings)
Compare Quotes on Quotewizard

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

About GEICO

GEICO sells auto, home, renters and motorcycle insurance. It has several discount options, including for those who combine its coverage policies. As a direct provider, it can offer lower auto insurance rates than many of its competitors. Policyholders can manage their coverage online or through the company’s mobile app.

Pros

• Affordable policies
  • Several discount options
  • Intuitive website and app

Cons

• Can be pricey for high-risk drivers
  • Few local agents

Bottom Line

GEICO is one of the largest auto insurance providers in the U.S. It has affordable prices, several discount options and an app for policy management. However, it doesn’t employ many local agents.

Top GEICO Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Michael ** assisted with an error I found on my parent's policy with professionalism and in a timely manner. I can't say enough good about Mikey, he has restored my faith in Custo...

Verified

I've had Geico auto insurance over 30 years, and I have found they are the easiest to deal with. Online or mobile app, it makes managing my payments and policy easy… customer serv...

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

About GEICO auto insurance

GEICO is an insurance company that’s served American drivers since 1936, and it’s currently one of the largest coverage providers in the country. The company is known for its affordable rates and various discount options. GEICO focuses on mobile app and online services rather than in-person assistance, but policyholders get access to 24/7 support and roadside assistance.

GEICO car insurance coverage

GEICO offers a variety of car insurance options, including:

• Collision: Pays for damages due to an accident.
  • Comprehensive: Covers vehicle damage caused by theft, vandalism, fire or other incidents.
  • Bodily injury liability: Pays for damages for the other party’s bodily injury or death from an accident when you’re at fault.
  • Property damage liability: Covers damage to someone else’s property from an accident for which you’re at fault.
  • Medical payments: Pays for your medical expenses resulting from an accident.
  • Personal injury protection: Pays for medical treatment, missed wages and other accident-related expenses no matter who’s at fault.
  • Uninsured motorist: Can help cover your injuries or property damage caused by an uninsured driver.
  • Underinsured motorist: Pays for damages caused by drivers without sufficient insurance.

GEICO also offers add-on coverages, such as emergency road service, rental reimbursement and mechanical breakdown insurance.

GEICO car insurance quotes and rates

As with most insurance, GEICO rates vary depending on a number of factors. The company considers your age, location, driving history, gender and more when calculating your rate. For customers who qualify, GEICO does offer several discounts:

• Air bag
  • Military
  • Multivehicle
  • Multipolicy

GEICO auto insurance FAQ

Does GEICO offer classic car coverage?
Yes, GEICO does offer coverage for classic and antique cars. The company has specific criteria for this insurance.
Does GEICO have a safe driver discount?
Yes, GEICO offers discounts for safe drivers, as well as a program called DriveEasy, which uses an app to track your driving. With this app, you can save up to 25%, depending on your driving habits.
Does GEICO have full coverage plans?
GEICO claims there’s no single definition for full coverage insurance. Instead, it emphasizes tailoring coverage to meet your specific needs. GEICO offers vehicle, liability, medical, uninsured motorists and more coverage to meet your needs.
How long is a GEICO quote good for?
GEICO doesn’t specify how long a quote is valid; the length of time varies from provider to provider. Some quotes last for 30 days or more, and some companies update quotes in real time, meaning they could change at any point.

Is GEICO good car insurance?

GEICO is one of the country’s largest insurance providers, and it’s known for its affordable rates and plethora of discounts. It offers 24/7 customer service and roadside assistance, and it focuses on serving policyholders online and through its mobile app, which many find convenient. However, if you prefer managing your policy in person, GEICO may not be the best choice for you.

GEICO Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GEICO?

Original review: Jan. 27, 2021

Geico was at my side during the entire claim process. Kayla and Brent from SC did an exceptional job. Not only w their knowledge, professionalism and updates but they truly cared about me. The accident had me so stressed out. My car had a good bit of damage. Geico covered it all. Provided me with a 30 day rental car and paid all the bills pertaining to this accident in a timely manner. I wish I could give them 10 stars!!!

Original review: Nov. 29, 2020

I have enjoyed being a Geico customer for a few years. When the covid pandemic hit geico took it upon themselves to give a percentage of the customers payments back to them to help during the struggle. To me this has proven that it is more than a company just looking for profit. I use the app to pay my bill which is very convenient. The app also has an option to easily extend your payment date if you are struggling which is great not having to call and explain to a stranger your personal financial situation. I have recently added my daughter to my insurance and the price is very good compared to other insurance companies. I am a very satisfied customer and would not take my business anywhere else.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2020

I've switched companies over the years. Every so many years when I thought my insurance premium was getting too high. I've always gone back to Geico because even though over time the premiums might get higher, when you go back the premiums are stellar. Can't be beat. When and if you have to file a claim geico is fast and a pleasure to do business with. They make the ordeal not quite as traumatic as it could be. Overall even though the premiums go up over time, I would give the company a five star rating. I love that you can use the app and either print out your cards, make changes to your account or file a claim. It's easy and user friendly. Thanks geico.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2020

I have been using Geico insurance for decades and have found them to be a moderately reliable company. I am able, due to my own and my spouses driving record, to insure both of are older vehicles (my 2002 Volvo S40 and her 1999 Mercedes Benz) for around a dollar a day. Granted this is the minimum coverage required by California law, but California law is quite exacting. Plus, the joint value of our cars is less than $4,000.00.

We've only had one accident in all of our years with Geico. It involved us being hit from the rear and being flipped onto the side. Luckily no one was hurt beyond a few scratches and cuts. Geico was the insurer for both vehicles and worked with us until an amicable solution was reached for both parties. And most importantly, did not raise our rates, since we were not at fault. Thus, their claims department, unlike other companies, is just as good as their billing department. Which the latter, as is evident, has always worked with us to keep our car insurance premiums within our budget.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

I have had insurance for a considerable amount of time. For years I was with another insurance company because it was the company my parents dealt with. Can I tell you by switching to GEICO I saved myself so much money! The premiums are reasonable, the customer service is great, and I am beyond pleased. I highly recommend them to young drivers, drivers who have had insurance for a while and are looking to bundle. You will save yourself a lot of money and you will not be compromising the quality of coverage.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2021

Worst insurance company ever. I was hit by someone with Geico insurance. The original rep assigned to me, Joy **, did not give me a call for days after numerous voicemails, and not until I had to go to her supervisor, Jason. After finally getting my statement almost 2 whole weeks after the accident took place, Geico found me 50% liable, not sure how that is when your policyholder hit me, an unmoving car.

Instead of disagreeing and trying to dispute it, I just wanted my car fixed so I got an appointment with a collision shop to estimate the damage. The collision shop estimated the damages at $2,000, while the photos they submitted to Geico, Geico being the scammers that they are only estimated it at $1,040. I then spoke to someone at Geico, Brittini **, who was supposed to set up a car rental for me, as my car was going to be at least 5 days to get fixed. The appointment was supposed to be set, and of course when I arrived at the collision shop no rental appointment was made.

I was also told that Geico would cover the rental, but when they FINALLY got the rental car there Geico tells me that they also will only cover 50% of the rental, leaving me stranded and now having to pay additional money out of pocket that was not budgeted for. Two months after the accident my car is still not fixed, this company is nothing but problems. Trying to get a hold of anyone at this company is damn near impossible, good luck, you are better off going with another company or not having insurance at all.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2021

I had a policy for less than a month before switching to a much cheaper and more quality provider. They notified the DMV to suspend my license. Then they had the nerve to try and bill me another $104.20 for canceling (before my policy even expired) All together costing me $262.20 for 28 days of very mediocre coverage.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2021

Have had a driver's license for 61 years and was involved in 3 minor accidents. Geico increased my premium by over 400%. These accidents did were minor and did no damage to my care. My one year total amount would be over $9,000. Outrageous. Great company until you have an accident. David

Original review: Oct. 13, 2021

On 6/5/2021 my Explorer was rear-ended by an Expedition failing to control his speed on the highway - a minute later a Neon who was also failing to control speed hit the Expedition in turn pushing him back into for a second hit. His insurance took forever to call us back and her insurance which is Geico (and mine also) has been extremely horrible to work with. Not only do you get to be on hold for 45 minutes each time you call - every single customer service person has been ill properly trained. Geico on the Neon's policy has stated that one - the neon states an orange truck hit the expedition and her, then took off.

There is not one single piece of evidence of anything orange being involved. They are also stating (and this is the exact wording) "At this time, we do not see any evidence that our insured pushed the Ford Expedition back into your client’s vehicle. The damages to the front of the Expedition fully support the Expedition rear-ending your client. The police report also makes no mention of a second impact. It is also not feasible that our small vehicle pushed the large Expedition forward into your client’s vehicle causing any actual damage.". Geico really needs to train their adjustors on force, kinetic energy, velocity and momentum - basic physics! They are also failing to see that the driver of the expedition and that myself and the person driving my Explorer have the same exact stories!

They are also failing to see that her air bags deployed causing her to not be able to see and causing a cut on her forehead or that she was more worried about her dog that was in the passenger seat. Geico stated the same in a letter to the insurance board...The police report also states that both the Expedition and Neon failed to control their speeds. Geico also needs to train their Liability Directors and Claims Managers how to properly handle a claims and an investigation. They may need to train them all how to lie the same instead of coming up with several excuses that make no sense.

To date we have received 4 emails by them stating they were going to take care of the claim and to date they have done nothing but be difficult to work with including extremely unprofessional with their responses. The real reason they denied the claim is the fact that a consumer complaint was made against them with the Texas Insurance Board. Beware if an insured by Geico is involved in an accident with you....they will legitimately make the process painstakingly hard and even more stressful if you are not at fault but the Geico party is.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2021

The worst insurance company I have dealt with… A GEICO-insured driver hit my brand new 2021 Honda Passport and, after almost 3 weeks, I am still getting the run around from GEICO to get my car repaired. They recognize the accident was 100% their fault and yet, the process is still stagnant. I called numerous times (always getting an automated service that took me nowhere) until I had select to “buy a new policy” to finally get a live person. I finally got a supervisor on the line who stated that if they cannot make contact with their insurer and that there is a possibility they may refuse coverage to fix my car.

They also stated that it might take several weeks for this process. The supervisor suggested filing the claim with my insurance policy even though this was 100% the other driver’s fault. I advised him that the door of my car does not close properly and when it rains, my brand new 2021 Honda gets wet inside, but why would he care? He suggested taking the car indoors so it does not get wet. Oh OK, I guess I have to file for a building permit to build a structure for my car or I can go the less expensive route and to find an umbrella big enough to cover my entire car. They are leaving me no option but to file a report with the New Jersey Department of Banking and Insurance… Very frustrating in dealing with this company…

GEICO Company Information