2. Homeowners
  3. Home Warranties

Call Now Toll Free
Get a Quote
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.75/5

First American Home Warranty is a leader in the home warranty industry, proudly serving homeowners for over 30 years. Our comprehensive plans protect homeowner’s budgets from unforeseen expenses due to normal wear and tear of a home's major systems and appliances.

First American Home Warranty Video
BOTTOM LINE

First American Home Warranty has been in the industry for more than three decades. Although plans include some exclusions, the company’s add-on coverage allows customers to tailor the warranty to fit their needs.

PROS
  • Termite coverage
  • Available in California, Arizona and Nevada
  • Pest control coverage
CONS
  • Cancellation policy
  • Not available in all states

Top First American Home Warranty Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about First American Home Warranty?

I've had the First American Premier Plan for years. Their online claim portal is quick and easy. They have a repair company call the same day or next day and each company has got the job done successfully. I've had many home repairs fixed via First American, so I feel it has been worth the cost.

The contractor was exceptional! Arrived on time, professional and assessed the work needed to be done. He successfully completed the job within a couple of hours, and he left the bathroom clean and with a working toilet. I was very pleased with this entire process!

First American Home Warranty Call Now Toll Free (855) 802-1335 Get a Quote
Call Now Toll Free

First American Home Warranty plans

In business for more than 30 years, First American Home Warranty offers comprehensive plans that protect homeowners’ budgets when critical home systems and appliances break down. When it comes to systems and appliances, there are no age limits. First American Home Warranty will cover a system or appliance provided it is in safe working order at the start of your contract no matter how old it is.

• Basic Plan: Covers essential kitchen appliances, plus washers and dryers.
  • Premier Plan: Includes everything covered by the basic plan, plus coverage for home systems such as heating, electrical and plumbing.

First American Home Warranty cost

First American Home Warranty pricing for annual premiums range from about $300–$500. Prices can vary based on your home size and location, so it’s best to request a quote directly from the company to get a true picture of the cost to cover your house. The service call fee for basic plans is $60, which you’ll pay each time First American sends a technician to your home.

PlanAverage monthly cost
Basic$25
Premier$40

First American Home Warranty coverage

First American Home Warranty covers essential appliances and systems through their two plans. Their Premier Plan offers the most comprehensive coverage, while the Basic Plan is somewhat limited, covering appliances only.

Across their plans, First American Home Warranty offers coverage for the following items. Note that not every item is available on every plan:

• Dishwasher
  • Ceiling fans
  • Garbage disposal
  • Instant hot water dispenser
  • Microwave (built-in only)
  • Trash compactor
  • Electrical
  • Garage door opener
  • Plumbing system
  • Plumbing stoppages

Coverage is also available for pest control services, including subterranean termite treatment.

First American Home Warranty Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about First American Home Warranty?

Original review: Feb. 14, 2021

The seller of the condo that we bought had purchased the home warranty through First American, and so we've just been turning in some things that were deficient with the condominium. We found problems since we’ve moved in. Everything's been good so far. We had a problem with the garbage disposal and that got fixed rather quickly. The guy came out and said he wouldn't be able to repair it so he had to replace it. He replaced it very quickly. I was really pleased with that guy because he was pushing up against the window where the store was going to be closed where he had to buy the garbage disposal from, and he went and got one, made it there right before they closed, and then came back six o'clock in the evening and installed it. So, I was pretty happy about that.

We did have some issues with the refrigerator. That was another experience we had and initially, it took a while to get the guy from Sears out. Then when he came out, he said he'd have to order parts so he ordered some parts and then he came back about a week later to install them. He installed them, and this is a condo where we're not there all the time. It's a second residence for us. He said he had everything fixed. Then when we got back to the condo, it obviously wasn't fixed because the icemaker wasn't making ice and the freezer still wasn't freezing anything. We had to throw food out that was in the refrigerator because it had gone bad.

We had to get the second guy to come out, and he said the compressor was bad. The refrigerator was completely different than what the first guy fixed. He was going to turn the information in to First American. The decision that First American made was to go ahead and replace it, but it took a couple of weeks to get that guy to come out to be able to see what was wrong. When he came out, it probably took two more weeks before they could finally get somebody and replace the refrigerator. We were without a working refrigerator for the first two months of being in a condo and we were having to buy two bags of ice a day and try to keep our food from spoiling and try to ice things down. So, it was a little bit of a pain there. But that was our only negative experience with them in the long run. They replaced the refrigerator for us, which was nice.

In the long run, I was pleased with the service that we've gotten. If I was recommending the thing, I would tell somebody to be patient and that things don't happen right away. But that's all part of the process. The refrigerator was a little bit aggravating because my wife was ready to just throw the thing out in the parking lot and go buy another one, but I'm glad we waited because they eventually replaced it. But two months without a working refrigerator is kind of bad. It was cool but it wasn't keeping things cold.

Hello,

Thank you for your feedback. Have a great day.

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2020

We’ve had First American for several years and for the most part, it's working out pretty well being able to get a contractor out there, then the work gets done majority of the time, and the fact that I don't have to try to find a contractor on my own to do a job, and the fact that I'm just paying the copay on it. Usually, it gets approved quickly where they can come out and fix whatever the issue is at that time and not to have to go back and forth on it. The fact that I'm able to go online and put a claim makes it easy enough. Usually, we've had appliances replaced also where they haven't been able to fix it and we continue to have an issue. The third time, they'll actually replace it for the same features that we had.

It's nice to have the option where there's the buyout. They just give the money if you wanna upgrade on your own or whatnot. Usually a pretty fair price, so they don't lowball anyone which is nice. We've definitely taken advantage of that. It's also nice because it is wear and tear. We moved into our house several years ago and the furnace went out pretty quickly after that. First American came and replaced it. At the time, there was a little bit of a delay and they were very accommodating where they were able to provide an air conditioner unit as the temporary because they were waiting on getting the new air conditioner in. So, they usually go above and beyond to try to make sure that it doesn't disrupt things.

There were contractors that we've dealt with over the years that were just no-shows. I wish that First American cared more about if we have issues and whatnot. We had one in particular where I was sitting there waiting for the guy to call me. When we put the claim in, they gave us the claim information where we could call the contractor to come out. There was no answer and we were waiting for 24 or 48 hours, then we called First American. First American called them and couldn't be reached. That can be frustrating, and then to be able to get it reassigned to somebody else and wasting three days or five days sometimes where they would assign it to somebody else and they still keep the contractor. It just doesn’t seem like if they're doing that to one of First American’s customers, they should continue with them. So, that's just not a good business practice. Other than that, First American doesn't nickel-and-dime like other ones do.

First American Home Warranty response

Thank you for taking the time to leave a detailed review Heather! We appreciate your business.

Original review: May 30, 2020

I became a homeowner and got myself a home warranty. I’ve been with First American since 2010. At that time, getting them had to do with the service fee amount for someone to come out. It was also because of the rating that I found First American to have with the customer base. Submitting a claim is easy and I prefer doing it online. Sometimes when getting a live person on the phone, you have to reiterate something. It’s not hard. It’s just that sometimes somebody doesn’t understand what you’re trying to convey whether it’d be on myself or them. But when I go to the online feature to submit a claim, I’m able to type in exactly what I want and hit submit. Also now, the feature to pre-pay for those service fees is in place which makes it a lot easier.

Most recently, I put in two claims with regards to my refrigerator and my washer. It was gonna be a different company coming out for the washer and a different company coming out for the refrigerator. But I ended up cancelling the people coming out for the refrigerator because the report that was submitted by the second to the last person that came said that there was nothing wrong with my refrigerator.

I then asked for a senior technician to come out from a different company and that happened. That person was able to fix the refrigerator. It was in February that he came out for the refrigerator. It was before the whole COVID-19 thing blew up. My refrigerator was having a particular problem on a regular basis consistently. There had to be at least four times that I filed a claim for the same problem and it’s just now starting to do the same thing again. I just found that out last week. I was looking yesterday and the refrigerator is freezing food. It has something to do with the cooling unit. I was going to call and talk to somebody about filing another claim because I don’t wanna continuously pay service fees for the same thing that keeps happening.

My issue with the vendor was with the company that came out before the person who fixed the refrigerator. That guy was a youngster that took pictures of the actual issue but did not submit the pictures to First American. I looked at him do it. He told me that he was gonna put it as a report. He even called his supervisor while he was here to get additional information on what he could and should he do. I’m all for giving young people a chance to get in there and get their experience but something told me that this was the wrong person for the job.

When he submitted his report, he said that there was nothing they could do. I ended up talking to a First American rep about that incident and it turned out he was actually the same one who came back out to the house to fix my washer. He said the washer was making this loud noise when it would get on spin cycle. When the drum would roll, it was making this really loud noise and it sounded like it was going like 100 miles an hour when it was actually spinning the clothes to dry. I was concerned about what my neighbors were gonna think because that thing was that loud.

The youngster said he knew what that was. It was the motherboard that needed to be replaced and it was something about some noise-cancelling equipment. According to him, the spinning wasn’t the problem but cancelling the noise was. Also, this company only comes out to my area on Friday. I had to take off work in order to be here. When he comes back, he said he was gonna order a part. He came with the part and he installed it.

I complained specifically about this youngster because I’m living here alone in my home. He had the nerve to enter my house from the door that leads to the garage. The washer and dryer is in the garage. The hallway that leads from the garage into the house is directly in a straight line connected with my master bedroom. I could have been in there changing clothes. I didn’t lock the door because I thought he was gonna be out there working. I didn’t think about him entering the house. I made sure I just closed the door when he was out there working.

He enters the house and asked if he could use the bathroom. I said okay. This was when COVID-19 was happening. He wasn’t wearing a mask nor gloves. I asked him about it and he said that his company doesn’t provide him with them. I was like, “Should I send him away? Should I allow him to work?" But I figured he was gonna be out in the garage and I would just go wipe everything down once he was done. I didn’t expect him to come into the house.

After I let him use the restroom, he went back out to the garage. I locked the door and I was giving him the benefit of the doubt. When he was done, he tried to come back in. The door handle was just rattling away. He then knocked. I was like, “That’s what you should have been doing in the first place, is knocking. You just don’t walk into a house.” Aside from him being a stranger, I’m a female living alone.

I opened the door and he said he was done. He was then doing a test where it was going through the cycle. He said that it was a 19-minute cycle. He also said that if anything goes wrong, I could always call him. But I asked, "If you leave now and something goes wrong and if I still hear the noise, you’re not gonna have the parts or be able to do anything to fix it anyway, are you?” He said no so I told him to go. I would call the company and let them know if something happens.

He left and sure enough, the noise was there as if he had done nothing to it. I called the company right after the noise happened the same day and reported it. They said I had to call First American which I did. I let them know. They were gonna send the tech back out. It had to be on a Friday and I said I didn't want him to come back out. I wanted somebody else.

I mentioned the times where he tried to enter the home and the fact that he may not know what he’s doing because he replaced two parts on the washer that I had and it’s still doing the same thing. They said they were gonna get a senior technician to come out. I waited for that and somebody was supposed to call me but I ended up calling the company back. They said they don't have senior technicians and the only person available to come out was the youngster and it was gonna be on a Friday. But I said he was not coming back out. I called First American to find out what other options I had. First American got ahold of the company that ended up coming out and they sent a senior technician. By that time, I was working from home, which was good. I didn’t have to take off work.

The time frame on getting from one contractor to the next was no longer than two weeks. Luckily, I was still able to wash clothes because it wasn’t that kind of a problem where the washer was broken. The senior technician came out, looked at, and listened to the washer. I showed him the parts that were replaced because the youngster left the old parts there and put them in the boxes that he brought. The senior technician the youngster replaced two parts that did not need replacing. Those parts were not the problem.

He was an older senior tech guy and told me what he was going to do. When he left, he said he was gonna order some other part and he told me what the problem was. He told me to expect a call so once again, I was waiting. The next thing you know, First American called me and told me that I’ve been approved for a new washer and that came out of West Hills. I asked why since the senior technician said he was gonna order the part for it. The rep was the same guy calling me from First American when I would have an issue and they kinda escalated it.

It was really good and they sent me the specs to look at and I was to let the rep know if the washer was okay with me. I looked it up and it was great. I told them to go ahead and order it which they did. The unit got delivered and installed. But I had to get a dryer to match the washer because it was a GE washer and an LG dryer. I get kind of picky at certain things plus I wanted to get pedestal this time around. Now, everything is okay. But that last experience with this one company and this youngster had me going.

First American Home Warranty response

Hi Theresa. We have definitely gone through many transitions over the years and are continuing to try to find ways to make service fast and efficient so that we may keep our consumer's satisfied. We are happy to hear your satisfaction with the service provided. Thank you for your positive feedback and continued support!

Original review: May 27, 2020

When I submitted my claim, I called on the phone. The people were very nice and they said that they would send somebody out and that someone would contact me within 24 hours. I was very happy with who I talked to. I had two different companies come for the same problem. The first company that came, Vintage, the guy seemed very knowledgeable. But then I had an issue after the fact that he had undone the head on my sweeper to check the diaphragm to see if it was good. Apparently, he didn't put it back on tightly. When he put it back in the pool, it started moving around and vibrating, it worked itself loose again while my pool was green.

Right after that happened, I cleaned my pool and put different chemicals in there to try and get rid of the green and I did exactly what their tech told me to do. At 2 o’clock in the morning, I went out to check my gauge on my pool, and it exploded. The top on the tank started squirting out water. On the band that holds the top to the bottom part, the bolt flew up and hit me in the arm. I immediately set it off and then I told the company, Vintage, about the problem. The lady in their office was not a very nice person. She said that it was not their problem, that they had already submitted their paperwork back to First American, and I needed to call First American to ask for a new claim. I didn’t need to ask for a new claim because it’s still all connected with the same problem that I had when this company came out.

I called First American and told them what the issue was. They told me there was a protocol that they had to do of letting those people know that I had an issue and they needed to give their answer to First American, which they did. The company came back saying that I did not put the filter in right. Well, that was not true, because if I hadn't put the filter in right, the lid wouldn’t have gone on and it wouldn’t have been working for a while.

First American sent out another company and they took care of the issue. They came to put a new band on ‘cause they said that the problem when it blew was not my fault. It was wear and tear because it was copper. I had to wait a week for them to get the part and they put it in. That part’s working, but my pool’s green, and I can’t get it to turn clear. I’m having issues with that now, so it’s been one thing after another, but First American did what they needed to do on what I called on. It’s not their fault that the company that was first sent didn't abide by what they should do to care about their company. They might wanna keep an eye on that first company to see if other people complain.

Overall, I was very satisfied. Their people did their best to keep me informed of what was going on. When I told them what my story was with the first company, I could tell they were not satisfied with how I was treated and that they could see that it affects their company also. First American’s doing a very good job with their employees. They're teaching them to be very knowledgeable and caring and to do their job.

First American Home Warranty response

Hi Linda. It means so much to us to know that you are satisfied with our service. We certainly do our best to select those that will assist in making sure our consumers are satisfied and happy. Thank you for your positive feedback and have a great weekend!

Original review: May 24, 2020

I’ve submitted a few claims and they’ve always been submitted via phone. My experience has been pretty good. Some have better conversational English skills while some don’t. But it doesn’t bother me. They’re just very nice, and they process the claim. First American generally sent contractors who seem to be experienced and know what they’re doing. I’m in California and we’re still locked in since February or March so, fortunately, we haven’t had to use them a lot. But when we did, it really worked out well.

We’ve only had a couple of claims - a plumbing claim, and we had to have a dryer replaced. And the company replaced it. The dryer was quite old and it just couldn’t be repaired. And so, the technician agreed to purchase the dryer and have it delivered. I was not home when it was delivered, so they delivered the dryer and it was dropped off. However, it was never connected correctly. Somebody connected it but it’s connected so that I cannot close the door to where it should be. I reported it at least three times. That’s the only complaint I have, and no one has been sent out to fix it. The people where the dryer came from said, “Oh, that’s not our job.” And the warranty people said that’s not their job. So, just at some point, I was going to spend a lot of money to have that repaired. That is the one thing that I thought was poorly handled.

Also, during this whole lockdown, which has been about 14 weeks, our toilet broke and we couldn’t not have it repaired. But the plumber who came was appropriately attired with gloves and a mask and kept his distance. He was one of the few people who we allowed in our house. We’re in the underlying danger group. We’re retired and we’re older. We are trying to be very careful about rigid enforcements. And when I called in the claim, I spoke to the person who took the claim, and they said, “Everybody’s requesting the same thing,” and they would make sure. And when the vendor came, that was true. But the vendor also told me that his company had the same kind of requirements, whether it was to come out for a warranty call or just a customer. However, I was glad that they were plugged in the way I needed. I’ve renewed my warranty once when it lapsed after a year, and I’m going to renew it again this year.

First American Home Warranty response

Hi Caroline. We are here when you need us. Thank you for your feedback and for choosing First American!

Resolution In ProgressRated with 2 stars
    Original review: April 30, 2021

The technician came to check refrigerator but not able to diagnose the issue. Second technician was dispatched and diagnosed issue but told me that the compressor need it to be changed. But he could not change it because it was under manufacturer warranty. He provided me with number and information to call manufacturer. I was still charged $75 dollars for visit and no repair was performed.

Hello Jesus,

Our records indicate you placed a claim for your kitchen refrigerator not working properly. Upon review, DG Refrigerator Repairs reported the compressor failed and needed replacement. However, the LG refrigerator is under part and labor warranty with the manufacturer. Please be advised, We are not responsible for repairs covered under an existing manufacturer's warranty. You may refer to home warranty contract under Limits of Liability, Number Eleven. Please be advised, First American waived the service call fee as a onetime gesture of goodwill. Your claim is considered closed.

Thank you.

Original review: April 25, 2021

The online warranty request submission form is easy to fill out, and I get a response from First American shortly after I submit a request. My warranty requests are usually responded to within a couple days and the work is completed within that same timeframe.

First American Home Warranty response

Thank you for your review Michelle!

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: April 25, 2021

I requested services for stoppages in kitchen sink, the plumber came after 2 days and check the sink for less than 10 sec and said will submit recommendation to my insurance for change of pipe as it was installed wrong, but they did not do anything, I waited for 2 days and called the insurance to follow up, finally scheduled 2 days after, the plumber came and said that they were here before that he did not tell what they will do today and left. The insurance denied the request for not cleared reason, we ended up paying outside plumber to do the job and he did the good job the unclog the sink. How would you deny such request without doing anything first, and others can do for only less than 30 mins, very frustrating.

Original review: April 25, 2021

I have contracts with 1st American home warranty at 2 homes. 1 in Los Angeles in one in Lake Havasu city Arizona. I've used 1st American home a number of times in both homes and been extremely satisfied with the contractors at every Interaction. I've been extremely happy with 1st American home warranties phone Personnel. I have, and will continue to recommend them to friends and family.

First American Home Warranty response

We appreciate your continued business James! Thank you for being a customer for over 10 years. Have a great day!

Original review: April 24, 2021

Since l have had my warranty, l have been extremely pleased with the workman. If they weren't able to finish a job, we would reschedule for the finish. When work was complete, they would be sure to clean up afterwards, which l appreciate!

First American Home Warranty response

Thanks for your review Charlotte!

First American Home Warranty coverage exclusions

Coverage exclusions will be outlined in your contract and usually pertain to circumstances outside of normal wear and tear.

Item parts that are deemed nonessential to the core functioning of the appliance or system may also be excluded from coverage. For example, First American Home Warranty will cover your plumbing system but will not cover fixtures, faucets, filters or shower heads. You can find a full list of exclusions via FirstAmerican's sample contract for Texas.

First American Home Warranty coverage limits

First American Home Warranty places dollar limits on certain items. This is the total amount they will pay to access, diagnose, repair and/or replace items covered in your contract. Coverage limits range from $500–$2,500 per item, which is comparable to the industry average home.

ItemFirst American Home Warranty coverage limit
    Concrete encased plumbing and ductwork$500
    Steam, heated water or glycol heating$1,500
    Kitchen refrigerator$2,500
    Additional refrigeration (up to 4 units)$1,000
    Seller’s heating, central air conditioning and ductwork$1,500
    Septic tank system $500
    *Other limits may apply to optional add-on coverage or upgraded coverage.

First American Home Warranty claims

You can submit your claim online or by calling First American’s toll-free number. You’ll need to have your contract number and the make and model of the item needing repair handy.

How to request service from First American Home Warranty:

1. Submit your claim to First American Home Warranty.
    2. They will assign a contractor to your case.
    3. Your service call fee will be due upon the technician’s arrival.

Emergency service: Reasonable efforts will be made to rush service when the system or appliance breakdown causes the home to be uninhabitable.

First American Home Warranty FAQ

Is a home inspection required by First American Home Warranty?

No, a home inspection is not required to get coverage from First American Home Warranty, but pre-existing conditions are generally not covered.

Can I cancel First American Home Warranty before my contract is up?

You can cancel your warranty within seven days of the contract effective date (generally 30 days after purchase). After that period, the contract is considered non-cancelable. A written request must be made to request consideration for cancellation. If approved, you will get a pro-rated refund and be charged a $50 administrative fee.

Is First American Home Warranty worth it?

First American Home Warranty provides coverage for all your essential home systems and household appliances. The pest control services and termite treatment coverage are what makes First American Home Warranty’s plans standout to us. While there are other home warranty companies that provide this coverage, it is not a standard option and we think it’s worth noting. Overall, the price for homebuyers and homeowners not in a real estate transaction is on the lower side compared to the rest of the industry. We think First American offers good coverage at a decent price.

First American Home Warranty Company Information