2. Homeowners
Accredited Partner

Call Now Toll Free
Get a Quote
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.47/5

First American Home Warranty is a leader in the home warranty industry, proudly serving homeowners for over 30 years. Our comprehensive plans protect homeowner’s budgets from unforeseen expenses due to normal wear and tear of a home's major systems and appliances.

First American Home Warranty Video

BOTTOM LINE

First American Home Warranty has been in the industry for more than three decades. Although plans include some exclusions, the company’s add-on coverage allows customers to tailor the warranty to fit their needs.

PROS

• Termite coverage
  • Available in California, Arizona and Nevada
  • Pest control coverage

CONS

• Cancellation policy
  • Not available in all states

Top First American Home Warranty Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about First American Home Warranty?

I've had the First American Premier Plan for years. Their online claim portal is quick and easy. They have a repair company call the same day or next day and each company has got the job done successfully. I've had many home repairs fixed via First American, so I feel it has been worth the cost.

The contractor was exceptional! Arrived on time, professional and assessed the work needed to be done. He successfully completed the job within a couple of hours, and he left the bathroom clean and with a working toilet. I was very pleased with this entire process!

First American Home Warranty Call Now Toll Free (855) 802-1335 Get a Quote
Call Now Toll Free

First American Home Warranty plans

In business for more than 30 years, First American Home Warranty offers comprehensive plans that protect homeowners’ budgets when critical home systems and appliances break down. When it comes to systems and appliances, there are no age limits. First American Home Warranty will cover a system or appliance provided it is in safe working order at the start of your contract no matter how old it is.

• Basic Plan: Covers essential kitchen appliances, plus washers and dryers.
  • Premier Plan: Includes everything covered by the basic plan, plus coverage for home systems such as heating, electrical and plumbing.

First American Home Warranty cost

First American Home Warranty pricing for annual premiums range from about $300–$500. Prices can vary based on your home size and location, so it’s best to request a quote directly from the company to get a true picture of the cost to cover your house. The service call fee for basic plans is $60, which you’ll pay each time First American sends a technician to your home.

PlanAverage monthly cost
Basic$25
Premier$40

First American Home Warranty coverage

First American Home Warranty covers essential appliances and systems through their two plans. Their Premier Plan offers the most comprehensive coverage, while the Basic Plan is somewhat limited, covering appliances only.

Across their plans, First American Home Warranty offers coverage for the following items. Note that not every item is available on every plan:

• Dishwasher
  • Ceiling fans
  • Garbage disposal
  • Instant hot water dispenser
  • Microwave (built-in only)
  • Trash compactor
  • Electrical
  • Garage door opener
  • Plumbing system
  • Plumbing stoppages

Coverage is also available for pest control services, including subterranean termite treatment.

First American Home Warranty Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about First American Home Warranty?

Original review: Aug. 9, 2020

We’ve had First American for several years and for the most part, it's working out pretty well being able to get a contractor out there, then the work gets done majority of the time, and the fact that I don't have to try to find a contractor on my own to do a job, and the fact that I'm just paying the copay on it. Usually, it gets approved quickly where they can come out and fix whatever the issue is at that time and not to have to go back and forth on it. The fact that I'm able to go online and put a claim makes it easy enough. Usually, we've had appliances replaced also where they haven't been able to fix it and we continue to have an issue. The third time, they'll actually replace it for the same features that we had.

It's nice to have the option where there's the buyout. They just give the money if you wanna upgrade on your own or whatnot. Usually a pretty fair price, so they don't lowball anyone which is nice. We've definitely taken advantage of that. It's also nice because it is wear and tear. We moved into our house several years ago and the furnace went out pretty quickly after that. First American came and replaced it. At the time, there was a little bit of a delay and they were very accommodating where they were able to provide an air conditioner unit as the temporary because they were waiting on getting the new air conditioner in. So, they usually go above and beyond to try to make sure that it doesn't disrupt things.

There were contractors that we've dealt with over the years that were just no-shows. I wish that First American cared more about if we have issues and whatnot. We had one in particular where I was sitting there waiting for the guy to call me. When we put the claim in, they gave us the claim information where we could call the contractor to come out. There was no answer and we were waiting for 24 or 48 hours, then we called First American. First American called them and couldn't be reached. That can be frustrating, and then to be able to get it reassigned to somebody else and wasting three days or five days sometimes where they would assign it to somebody else and they still keep the contractor. It just doesn’t seem like if they're doing that to one of First American’s customers, they should continue with them. So, that's just not a good business practice. Other than that, First American doesn't nickel-and-dime like other ones do.

First American Home Warranty response

Thank you for taking the time to leave a detailed review Heather! We appreciate your business.

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Original review: May 30, 2020

I became a homeowner and got myself a home warranty. I’ve been with First American since 2010. At that time, getting them had to do with the service fee amount for someone to come out. It was also because of the rating that I found First American to have with the customer base. Submitting a claim is easy and I prefer doing it online. Sometimes when getting a live person on the phone, you have to reiterate something. It’s not hard. It’s just that sometimes somebody doesn’t understand what you’re trying to convey whether it’d be on myself or them. But when I go to the online feature to submit a claim, I’m able to type in exactly what I want and hit submit. Also now, the feature to pre-pay for those service fees is in place which makes it a lot easier.

Most recently, I put in two claims with regards to my refrigerator and my washer. It was gonna be a different company coming out for the washer and a different company coming out for the refrigerator. But I ended up cancelling the people coming out for the refrigerator because the report that was submitted by the second to the last person that came said that there was nothing wrong with my refrigerator.

I then asked for a senior technician to come out from a different company and that happened. That person was able to fix the refrigerator. It was in February that he came out for the refrigerator. It was before the whole COVID-19 thing blew up. My refrigerator was having a particular problem on a regular basis consistently. There had to be at least four times that I filed a claim for the same problem and it’s just now starting to do the same thing again. I just found that out last week. I was looking yesterday and the refrigerator is freezing food. It has something to do with the cooling unit. I was going to call and talk to somebody about filing another claim because I don’t wanna continuously pay service fees for the same thing that keeps happening.

My issue with the vendor was with the company that came out before the person who fixed the refrigerator. That guy was a youngster that took pictures of the actual issue but did not submit the pictures to First American. I looked at him do it. He told me that he was gonna put it as a report. He even called his supervisor while he was here to get additional information on what he could and should he do. I’m all for giving young people a chance to get in there and get their experience but something told me that this was the wrong person for the job.

When he submitted his report, he said that there was nothing they could do. I ended up talking to a First American rep about that incident and it turned out he was actually the same one who came back out to the house to fix my washer. He said the washer was making this loud noise when it would get on spin cycle. When the drum would roll, it was making this really loud noise and it sounded like it was going like 100 miles an hour when it was actually spinning the clothes to dry. I was concerned about what my neighbors were gonna think because that thing was that loud.

The youngster said he knew what that was. It was the motherboard that needed to be replaced and it was something about some noise-cancelling equipment. According to him, the spinning wasn’t the problem but cancelling the noise was. Also, this company only comes out to my area on Friday. I had to take off work in order to be here. When he comes back, he said he was gonna order a part. He came with the part and he installed it.

I complained specifically about this youngster because I’m living here alone in my home. He had the nerve to enter my house from the door that leads to the garage. The washer and dryer is in the garage. The hallway that leads from the garage into the house is directly in a straight line connected with my master bedroom. I could have been in there changing clothes. I didn’t lock the door because I thought he was gonna be out there working. I didn’t think about him entering the house. I made sure I just closed the door when he was out there working.

He enters the house and asked if he could use the bathroom. I said okay. This was when COVID-19 was happening. He wasn’t wearing a mask nor gloves. I asked him about it and he said that his company doesn’t provide him with them. I was like, “Should I send him away? Should I allow him to work?" But I figured he was gonna be out in the garage and I would just go wipe everything down once he was done. I didn’t expect him to come into the house.

After I let him use the restroom, he went back out to the garage. I locked the door and I was giving him the benefit of the doubt. When he was done, he tried to come back in. The door handle was just rattling away. He then knocked. I was like, “That’s what you should have been doing in the first place, is knocking. You just don’t walk into a house.” Aside from him being a stranger, I’m a female living alone.

I opened the door and he said he was done. He was then doing a test where it was going through the cycle. He said that it was a 19-minute cycle. He also said that if anything goes wrong, I could always call him. But I asked, "If you leave now and something goes wrong and if I still hear the noise, you’re not gonna have the parts or be able to do anything to fix it anyway, are you?” He said no so I told him to go. I would call the company and let them know if something happens.

He left and sure enough, the noise was there as if he had done nothing to it. I called the company right after the noise happened the same day and reported it. They said I had to call First American which I did. I let them know. They were gonna send the tech back out. It had to be on a Friday and I said I didn't want him to come back out. I wanted somebody else.

I mentioned the times where he tried to enter the home and the fact that he may not know what he’s doing because he replaced two parts on the washer that I had and it’s still doing the same thing. They said they were gonna get a senior technician to come out. I waited for that and somebody was supposed to call me but I ended up calling the company back. They said they don't have senior technicians and the only person available to come out was the youngster and it was gonna be on a Friday. But I said he was not coming back out. I called First American to find out what other options I had. First American got ahold of the company that ended up coming out and they sent a senior technician. By that time, I was working from home, which was good. I didn’t have to take off work.

The time frame on getting from one contractor to the next was no longer than two weeks. Luckily, I was still able to wash clothes because it wasn’t that kind of a problem where the washer was broken. The senior technician came out, looked at, and listened to the washer. I showed him the parts that were replaced because the youngster left the old parts there and put them in the boxes that he brought. The senior technician the youngster replaced two parts that did not need replacing. Those parts were not the problem.

He was an older senior tech guy and told me what he was going to do. When he left, he said he was gonna order some other part and he told me what the problem was. He told me to expect a call so once again, I was waiting. The next thing you know, First American called me and told me that I’ve been approved for a new washer and that came out of West Hills. I asked why since the senior technician said he was gonna order the part for it. The rep was the same guy calling me from First American when I would have an issue and they kinda escalated it.

It was really good and they sent me the specs to look at and I was to let the rep know if the washer was okay with me. I looked it up and it was great. I told them to go ahead and order it which they did. The unit got delivered and installed. But I had to get a dryer to match the washer because it was a GE washer and an LG dryer. I get kind of picky at certain things plus I wanted to get pedestal this time around. Now, everything is okay. But that last experience with this one company and this youngster had me going.

First American Home Warranty response

Hi Theresa. We have definitely gone through many transitions over the years and are continuing to try to find ways to make service fast and efficient so that we may keep our consumer's satisfied. We are happy to hear your satisfaction with the service provided. Thank you for your positive feedback and continued support!

Original review: May 27, 2020

When I submitted my claim, I called on the phone. The people were very nice and they said that they would send somebody out and that someone would contact me within 24 hours. I was very happy with who I talked to. I had two different companies come for the same problem. The first company that came, Vintage, the guy seemed very knowledgeable. But then I had an issue after the fact that he had undone the head on my sweeper to check the diaphragm to see if it was good. Apparently, he didn't put it back on tightly. When he put it back in the pool, it started moving around and vibrating, it worked itself loose again while my pool was green.

Right after that happened, I cleaned my pool and put different chemicals in there to try and get rid of the green and I did exactly what their tech told me to do. At 2 o’clock in the morning, I went out to check my gauge on my pool, and it exploded. The top on the tank started squirting out water. On the band that holds the top to the bottom part, the bolt flew up and hit me in the arm. I immediately set it off and then I told the company, Vintage, about the problem. The lady in their office was not a very nice person. She said that it was not their problem, that they had already submitted their paperwork back to First American, and I needed to call First American to ask for a new claim. I didn’t need to ask for a new claim because it’s still all connected with the same problem that I had when this company came out.

I called First American and told them what the issue was. They told me there was a protocol that they had to do of letting those people know that I had an issue and they needed to give their answer to First American, which they did. The company came back saying that I did not put the filter in right. Well, that was not true, because if I hadn't put the filter in right, the lid wouldn’t have gone on and it wouldn’t have been working for a while.

First American sent out another company and they took care of the issue. They came to put a new band on ‘cause they said that the problem when it blew was not my fault. It was wear and tear because it was copper. I had to wait a week for them to get the part and they put it in. That part’s working, but my pool’s green, and I can’t get it to turn clear. I’m having issues with that now, so it’s been one thing after another, but First American did what they needed to do on what I called on. It’s not their fault that the company that was first sent didn't abide by what they should do to care about their company. They might wanna keep an eye on that first company to see if other people complain.

Overall, I was very satisfied. Their people did their best to keep me informed of what was going on. When I told them what my story was with the first company, I could tell they were not satisfied with how I was treated and that they could see that it affects their company also. First American’s doing a very good job with their employees. They're teaching them to be very knowledgeable and caring and to do their job.

First American Home Warranty response

Hi Linda. It means so much to us to know that you are satisfied with our service. We certainly do our best to select those that will assist in making sure our consumers are satisfied and happy. Thank you for your positive feedback and have a great weekend!

Original review: Nov. 25, 2019

My house is old and paid for, so there's no reason not to protect it against all those things that could go wrong with an older house. I heard about First American Home Warranty through a friend and I signed up with them. The first time I had a claim with them was frustrating because you have to understand that they want to repair rather than replace. But once you understand that they're gonna come out and try to find a way to fix it, even though it might not be fixable, you'd deal with it. So, I have no problem with the process once I understood it.

Filing claims with them can be done in a couple of ways but I do it by the phone. I'm old and I'd like to talk to people.With First American, some reps get back to you right away and some do it a little later and it's a little frustrating that you have to wait for them to get back to you. I also missed one call though. They called my office instead of my cellphone, so I didn't pick it up and I didn't even know who was calling me. Aside from that, when they wanna replace an appliance, you gotta be very tough with them. I have KitchenAid products and they wanted to give me a lower rank microwave. But I have matching KitchenAid appliances and I didn't wanna put a different brand of microwave in the middle of high-end KitchenAid appliances. So, I took the cash, bought a microwave, and made money.

Other than that, the last tech that I dealt with was a fool. He was very urgent, very abrupt, and he knew everything. But he cancelled my appointment even though he was supposed to work for me for the repair of my dishwasher. He was also so angry when I told him that the top rack was hanging half off. He said that that doesn't happen, but I told him that it has happened twice and I had the part in my hand. I understand that some of these guys really don't wanna be doing what they do with First American but I don't know why they're in it, if they don't wanna do it. They let you know that they're not really getting paid a lot, but if they don't wanna do it, then they shouldn't be on the list.

But other than that last tech, the other ones I had were great and they did what they were supposed to do. The one that First American eventually sent our for my dishwasher was great. He understood my problem and didn't waste my time. I already had the problem before, so I knew exactly what was the needed the part and the part number. So, I told him what the part was before he came out, instead of going through a rigmarole with him coming out, saying what part was needed and that he'd be back with it. We skipped a two-appointment process which is a waste of everybody's time. I only pay one copay, so it doesn't matter to me. But I told the guy what I needed and he came with the part, so he got the repair done in one full swoop.

Overall, the warranty works for me and I like the coverage. First American has also done what I expected them to do. I don't know if they're good, bad, or indifferent, but I've had a water heater replaced and they took care of it. They also put in a new microwave for me and they fixed my dishwasher three times. I have the top coverage and for the $600 that I pay annually, which is 50 bucks a month, it's money well spent, especially if you have an older home and your appliances are all very old, like mine. My air conditioner goes out at $6,000 and that's 10 years of payment to make that up. And I guarantee within the next 10 years, if I'm alive, that my air conditioner is gonna go out because it's already 20 years old. So, that's why you protect against the big things.

First American Home Warranty response

Thank you Michael for your review.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2019

I had a garage door problem. First American Home Warranty sent somebody out. I’m not a mechanic, but I said, “I think there’s something wrong with the motor.” Without looking nor testing the motor he said, “We need to change your springs and your rails.” I asked if it was covered and he said no and that’ll be around $1,500. And since he was busy, he would be able to come after dinner on his own time. I said okay, but I got to thinking about it. I looked at our coverage and it looked as though some of that was covered. But the problem was he didn’t look at the motor. I said I'd hold it off and called another garage door place on my own dollar, and asked them to come out and give me a look-see on the problem I got with the door. He came out and he pushed a button, and it was jumping and glitching. He took the cover off, and he said, “It’s your motor.” And I said, “Is it the spring or the rails?” “No, no, those are in good shape.”

I called First American back and they were really good enough to send another company. That company changed the motor and it’s been working perfectly since. Two weeks after that, my commode was overflowing so I called First American. A plumbing guy came out and said, “There’s nothing wrong with your toilet here.” I said, “Well, maybe it’s being stopped up.” He said, “The stoppage is gonna be in your front yard. We’re gonna have to dig it up and find the drain line and then unplug it.” I said, “You can’t put some plumber’s snake? I’ve got one that’s 20 feet long. I just didn’t wanna damage anything."

He said, “No. We can dig in your front yard and that would cost between $1,500 and $2,000, but that’s not gonna be covered.” I said, “Okay. I just don’t wanna do that just yet.” I called First American back again, and they sent another guy out. He said, “There’s nothing wrong with your drain.” He said it’s the toilet fixture itself. The toilet was split. There’s a fine line and that aggravated the flushing problem.

We got three contracts with First American, for our home and two rental properties. So, I was so mad with the two contractors that said that I had to replace the springs and the rails without even looking at the motor, and the other guy who wanted to dig my front yard. This kind experience just happened lately. We have been totally supportive with First American. As a matter of fact, I’m part of the homeowner’s association and I’ve often talked about them. And a lot of the homeowners have gone with them because of my involvement and my positive attitude. My concern was that some contractors try to take advantage of a person without going into the part that was really what was causing the problem.

First American has a couple of bad contractors that are in it for trying to spin the homeowner out of their money when it was something that was so obvious. If there’s a certain number of complaints, that company should be reconsidered for going out. My wife was close to going ahead with agreeing with this rail thing and digging up the front yard, which doesn’t make sense. But after we sorted it through, First American have been absolutely 100% with their response. I would recommend them over everybody else and I guarantee it. Had we not pursued that with First American and got somebody else out, we would’ve been in the red by about $4,000. Other than that, they have been perfect. We’re happy with First American.

First American Home Warranty response

Hello Alan, thank you for your feedback. Our records indicate that we have since dispatched another contractor who replaced the motor to your garage door opener and the job has been completed. Thank you.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 2 stars
    Original review: Sept. 18, 2020

We have had several types of warranty claims that needed immediate attention. Water damage, A/C issues (in 100-degree heat) and appliance issues. The response time in which it took to contact a representative was ridiculously long. The number of times we were transferred after long hold times was ridiculous. The promises of reimbursement checks being mailed were false. As a matter of fact, we are still waiting for a check as I write this review that we were told was mailed on 8-27-2020. Company policies seem to differ with each service rep we speak with. We pay to have this service at our disposal.

We are not unreasonable people. We expect honest straightforward answers to our inquiries. We don't enjoy being told different stories each time we need to follow up. As a matter of fact, it is not our job to follow up, it's yours. Don't have homeowners do your legwork. Call your customers back, set callbacks. Each of the three services we were in need of resulted in long, long hold times and broken promises. The photo attached is unfinished work from more than a year ago. The crew never came back to finish. Shall I go on? Figure it out so as to help the next homeowner in a more expeditious way.

First American Home Warranty response

Hi Joe. We appreciate your feedback. We sincerely apologize for any delays or inconvenience you may have experienced during the handling of your claims. We are currently making all efforts and appropriate changes necessary so that we may be able to provide fast and efficient service. We thank you for your patience and continued support.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2020

Overall we are most satisfied with how our refrigerator claim was handled. The only problem we encountered was getting updated information from claims about the amount we would be given for the cashout determined by First American. Once that happened everything went well and we were able to purchase a new refrigerator close to the specs of the one that failed in a timely matter.

First American Home Warranty response

Thank you Gary for your review.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2020

First American Home Warranty was so responsive to assign the work order to Central Cal Builders. The contractor was very competent and professional in taking care of the problem. The office manager and the assigned technician were superb and customer service oriented. As a result, I am very happy customer.

First American Home Warranty response

Hello Narciso. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to servicing you again in the future.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2020

They were on top of it! I called to schedule a lock change, they called to schedule me in the next business day, for an appointment two days later! Quick and easy! I would definitely recommend to family and friends who are looking for a good home warranty! Very satisfied!

First American Home Warranty response

Thank you Amy for your feedback!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2020

Service is getting better from FA; however, my recent experience with contractor is not favorable. Contractor was in hurry and did not do what was agreed upon during triage. Contractor advised they would reimburse me for materials if I sourced; still have not been reimbursed.

Hello Thomas,

First American apologizes for any inconvenience you may have experienced during the handling of your claim and thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. We are always looking for ways to better our service and your feedback is an invaluable part of the process. At this time, our records indicate that Red Mountain Electric is pending to submit their diagnosis report. Once received, First American will proceed accordingly.

First American Home Warranty coverage exclusions

Coverage exclusions will be outlined in your contract and usually pertain to circumstances outside of normal wear and tear.

Item parts that are deemed nonessential to the core functioning of the appliance or system may also be excluded from coverage. For example, First American Home Warranty will cover your plumbing system but will not cover fixtures, faucets, filters or shower heads. You can find a full list of exclusions via FirstAmerican's sample contract for Texas.

First American Home Warranty coverage limits

First American Home Warranty places dollar limits on certain items. This is the total amount they will pay to access, diagnose, repair and/or replace items covered in your contract. Coverage limits range from $500–$2,500 per item, which is comparable to the industry average home.

ItemFirst American Home Warranty coverage limit
    Concrete encased plumbing and ductwork$500
    Steam, heated water or glycol heating$1,500
    Kitchen refrigerator$2,500
    Additional refrigeration (up to 4 units)$1,000
    Seller’s heating, central air conditioning and ductwork$1,500
    Septic tank system $500
    *Other limits may apply to optional add-on coverage or upgraded coverage.

First American Home Warranty claims

You can submit your claim online or by calling First American’s toll-free number. You’ll need to have your contract number and the make and model of the item needing repair handy.

How to request service from First American Home Warranty:

1. Submit your claim to First American Home Warranty.
    2. They will assign a contractor to your case.
    3. Your service call fee will be due upon the technician’s arrival.

Emergency service: Reasonable efforts will be made to rush service when the system or appliance breakdown causes the home to be uninhabitable.

First American Home Warranty FAQ

Is a home inspection required by First American Home Warranty?

No, a home inspection is not required to get coverage from First American Home Warranty, but pre-existing conditions are generally not covered.

Can I cancel First American Home Warranty before my contract is up?

You can cancel your warranty within seven days of the contract effective date (generally 30 days after purchase). After that period, the contract is considered non-cancelable. A written request must be made to request consideration for cancellation. If approved, you will get a pro-rated refund and be charged a $50 administrative fee.

Is First American Home Warranty worth it?

First American Home Warranty provides coverage for all your essential home systems and household appliances. The pest control services and termite treatment coverage are what makes First American Home Warranty’s plans standout to us. While there are other home warranty companies that provide this coverage, it is not a standard option and we think it’s worth noting. Overall, the price for homebuyers and homeowners not in a real estate transaction is on the lower side compared to the rest of the industry. We think First American offers good coverage at a decent price.

First American Home Warranty Company Information