Call Now Toll Free
Compare Quotes
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.16/5

Cigna Health Insurance Call Now Toll Free (855) 564-1052 Compare Quotes

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now
Call Now Toll Free

Cigna Health Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cigna Health Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cigna?

Original review: March 21, 2020

Words cannot express how extremely disappointed I am in Cigna right now, as a global health insurance company. My employer has had our health insurance coverage benefits through them for about 4 years now, and I hadn’t had any problems with them up until very recently. Cigna had initially stated that they would gladly cover the testing costs for those of us who might be exhibiting possible symptoms of COVID-19/Corona Virus, no questions asked.

After experiencing immense difficulty breathing, as well as having a persistent cough and fever which wouldn’t go away for several days, I had finally attempted to take advantage of Cigna’s offer earlier in the week and seek out COVID 19 testing, only for them to basically go back on their promise, stating that I would not be covered for this particular test since it “does not meet the definition of medical necessity, as outlined in your specific plan.” (Luckily, it turns out that I didn’t actually have the virus, but now I’m stuck with a bunch of hefty medical bills from the hospital and laboratory, due to Cigna’s false promises of covering potentially affected persons…. A promise which they never delivered on.)

My employer’s HR department has also been going around and around with Cigna trying to get them to reverse their decision and cover the costs of my tests. However, they are getting nowhere fast with Cigna, who continues to use the legal jargon within the plan documents to their advantage. My HR representative even confided in me that when all of this is over with, they are probably going to strongly consider dropping Cigna as our health insurer, and honestly, I really cannot blame her at all for advocating for this decision. After all, would anyone out there including a family with children really want to entrust a health insurance company which stares a global pandemic in the face, only to do the morally and socially irresponsible thing by refusing to do their part in order to prevent contagion? (No, I didn’t think so..)

Truth be told, it just honestly seems to me like Cigna is basically trying to use legal technicalities and the ‘fine print’ to weasel their way out of covering a truly “medically necessary” test which they’d expressly and explicitly promised they would cover for the employees within our company, only a few days earlier. To Cigna, it would appear to me as though the almighty dollar essentially wins out every time, when compared to the health (and potential survival) of another human being’s life. To say that I am inordinately disappointed in all of the dishonesty, deception, and underhanded denial tactics which Cigna has used, simply to sell out their values for a stack of greenbacks, would certainly be an understatement!

Original review: March 19, 2020

Cigna started out by lying about my provider. It wouldn't be as bad but they also denied my daughter her doctor as well. They actually tried to blame me for their error, but continued to refuse to allow us to see our doctor. Customer service is the worst I have ever experienced, and they refuse to allow the customer to speak with anyone with any actual authority. There's a reason this company makes billions in profit.

Original review: March 18, 2020

I was offered Cigna Dental insurance through my employer and had a choice between the insurance that either paid for orthodontia or did not. Since I have had problems with a tooth and my dentist though it be helped by straightening my teeth I chose the plan that included adult orthodontia and paid more per month. I had a minor dental procedure done that was covered under my plan and Cigna Dental denied the entire claim saying it wasn't covered. I had invisible aligners to straighten my teeth and Cigna Dental denied the entire claim saying that they aren't covered.

I provided them the copy of the benefit summary from my My.Cigna.com account showing that I am covered for adult orthodontia and the other claim. Their response was that they didn't cover it. So, in essence they will provide you written information that says they cover things that they will promptly deny when you submit a claim. I will NEVER have another plan with Cigna Dental and am sharing my experience with my employer and everyone else that I can. If someone had warned me about this scam I would have saved more than $500 that I'm wasting on dental "insurance" that doesn't pay for anything.

Original review: March 18, 2020

Customer service is useless when you have questions about a claim. I am a cancer patient and they deny about every request at first, they want peer to peer when they already know I have CANCER, they delayed my treatments, they denied the pain med (just **).. They basically say.. doctor needs to prove medical necessity (PET scan, Radiation, MRI, CT, surgery for the port... etc). I think once they HAVE the actual diagnosis they should approve when a oncologist request, do they think we are doing this for FUN...I want to live but they just want us to die I think so they don't have to pay the claims. WORSE EVER!!! If the cancer does not kill me first they will!!!!

Original review: March 17, 2020

Their phone support is horrible. They start with a one minute statement about who they don't discriminate against. Their service people do not speak American English. They don't listen. They are uninterruptible. They read statements because they have to. They show no evidence of being able to think.

Cigna Health Insurance response

Hi John. I'm so sorry you've had trouble when reaching out to Cigna and I'd like the chance to look into your questions. Please email me at LetUsHelpU@cigna.com. I can help. -CM

Original review: March 9, 2020

Cigna will deny everything at least once even if you have stage 4 cancer. Chemotherapy, ct, pet, they have denied it all... they are more than happy to take your money, however. Case management does not help achieve anything. It's a waste of time. Their mail order pharmacy, Accredo, is worse. I'm two weeks late getting my medication. HORRIBLE!

Original review: March 9, 2020

My wife have had severe pain and nausea so we went to the closest urgent care. We paid $40 dollar to see the provider. Two weeks later we got hit with $244 dollar bill. Cigna refused to pay anything. Cigna stated that "the urgent care is out of network. Even though the doctor is in-network we still bill you as out of network". The doctors we saw are in network with cigna and cigna refused to compensate for anything. We pay almost 3K a year for health insurance and on top of that they manipulate the system where we pay more out of our pockets. So next year we are definitely changing insurance to BLUE CROSS.

Original review: March 6, 2020

Cigna dental insurance is a joke. After my 1 year wait period is over, they increase premiums by 27% and my premiums + deductible is now just a few hundred dollars below the plan maximum! How else could one be ripped off? Stay away from this company.

Original review: March 4, 2020

Issue #1 - ‪I recently moved to the next town (about 20 miles away to a more rural area) and upon providing my change of address I received notification from @Cigna that I will have to pay an additional $100/month for insurance premiums for which I will see no benefit.‬ ‪I will still be utilizing my same doctors, in the same network I had before I moved. Basically @Cigna is making more money off of me every month for no change as far as claims go on their end. They are charging more simply because I moved. Does this seem customer centric to you? ‬Yeah me neither! Seems to me @Cigna needs to fix this issue to allow people to utilize the same doctors/network they were using before a move without having to pay an additional cost. You CAN and SHOULD do better @Cigna! ‬

Issue #2 - I recently moved….and have nothing but problems with my Cigna stuff since I moved. First I had the issue I already reported where I am being forced into the OAP network even though I am not changing doctors. So Cigna gets to make more money off of me each month even though there will be no change in who/where my claims come from.

Now I just had my doctor submit a mail order Rx to the pharmacy. Well I get a voicemail from ES saying there is a problem with my address and I need to call them back by March 4th to resolve it or they will cancel my Rx order. So I call immediately to the number they left on my voicemail. 1-844-223-6738. I am placed on hold for 10 min. They the computerized system comes back and says “I’m sorry this line is busy, please do call back again though so we can resolve this issue. You can also try calling 1-855-853-4198.” And it promptly hung up on me. Mind you I was calling THEM back per their request and after 10 min. on hold they just hung up on me! That is TERRIBLE customer service and certainly not customer centric or the message I think Cigna wants to be sending its customers.

So next I try the second number given and same thing after 10 min on hold it hangs up on me again with basically the same message. “Please try again so we can resolve this issue before March 4th.“ Ok so now I have wasted 20 min of my time trying to do this and gotten literally NOWHERE! Luckily I am a Cigna employee and know other methods to try. So I called the Cigna mail order pharmacy number I found online. I got through immediately! The lady who answered was helpful even though she wasn’t the one I was supposed to be contacting. She got my address updated in the system and resolved the issue!

That is the kind of customer service I expect from Cigna and our Customer Centric mentality.

I think you should know what is being done to other clients by Express Scripts mail order pharmacy because you are going to have some VERY unhappy clients that are being told to continually call back after being placed on hold for 10 min and then hung up on. Because those other people might not know to try to get around the system the way I did so all they can go off of is ES message they leave and the message they give before they hang up on them.

If I was a customer who experienced this I would be very vocal about wanting to NOT have Cigna b/c I wouldn’t want to have to deal with that every time there was a question about something. Mind you, like me, some of those people only ever contact Cigna about MO Rx stuff so that is the only place of contact they have with Cigna (or someone they see as Cigna). So they will never know how the rest of Cigna tries very hard to be customer centric and live our values. All they get is a terrible first, second, third, fourth, and last impression if they are just continuously trying to get through on the numbers provided in the message. I am fairly certain this isn’t how Cigna wants to come across to its customers. I would recommend resolving this immediately! Either by bringing the calls back to Cigna or making sure ES is handling Cigna's business and customers properly.

I would also like to point out I haven’t received any response to the first item I referenced above which was submitted to you last week. And I can’t get a resolution to that either. I keep submitting cases and they keep closing them without contacting me. I was trying to avoid speaking negatively of Cigna on Twitter because I do believe we try to live our values. However, since no one has/will make any attempt to contact me on it and they just keep closing my cases in the system I will be posting on Twitter about my negative experiences with both the move and Cigna forcing me into a network I am not using AND my Express Scripts Experience. I will also be sending an email to the proper upper management team so that they are directly aware of the situations.

I am sorry it has come to this but I will be posting it from my customer prospective and not an employee perspective so that I am not violating any of the social media Terms of Use. I have already reached out to a legal friend of mine and they confirmed that I have EVERY right to post publicly about my experiences as a CUSTOMER with Cigna. Hopefully this is actually getting to someone who also believes in and lives the Cigna Values and it is being looked into and handled and not just filed by a computer system. Since sending these complaints to Cigna I still haven’t received a response of any kind from them.

Original review: March 3, 2020

Cigna doesn't cover anything. I pay over $500/month for the best plan my company offers and I have a $7K deductible. I have a $10,000 Mental health deductible. My son was denied a MRI. He is a child. Every doctor I go to is denied. I am literally medically poor because of this insurance. I avoid the doctor at all cost due to the insane amount of debt I'm in over my medical bills and lack of help from my insurance company. There is a healthcare crisis in the USA. They need to fix this. I have a lump and I can't even go to a doc to check it out due to the horrible coverage. There is no help with preventative care for anything.

Cigna Health Insurance Company Information