Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.34/5

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

Blue Cross of Florida Reviews

Original review: Feb. 24, 2020

I’ve been with Blue Cross of Florida over 10 years with very few claims and now when I need their help with an expensive prescription I need, they give me the most incredible run around. They are only willing to pay for literally a small fraction of what my dr has prescribed. There has to be a better company out there.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2020

Florida Blue is the worst insurance company! You get different answers when you call. They don't cover anything! My biggest regret was choosing this insurance. I asked if they covered weight loss surgery and was told yes. However, after I was signed up, told the cover a gym.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

I obtained Florida Blue insurance and then had to cancel it due to lack of doctors in my area and a long wait for an appointment elsewhere. Not only was the signup process ridiculous as I received emails with discrepancies about my autopay, bill due and login information...I was told it would take 3 days to "see" my cancellation before they could issue a refund. I have called in repeatedly, sat on hold, and have now been told it would take up to 15 days to see the confirmation of my cancellation before they could issue a refund - which will then take 30 days to process. This is unacceptable policy from a corporate conglomerate! They sure waste no time in TAKING money. I wonder how much interest they make off keeping our money for 45 days before they make an effort to refund it!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2020

Been calling for 3 weeks now to get my insurance renewed since they didn’t process it. I have yet to receive a call back and no one can tell me what happened to my insurance. No one ever gives a direct answer and you just get transferred from department to department.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

I needed interim health insurance coverage between COBRA and Medicare. Got coverage from Florida Blue through the health care exchange. Their customer service is substandard; you get conflicting answers when you call. Links in their emails often don't work. The website is poorly designed and frequently down. I'd never consider Florida Blue for a Medicare Advantage plan and will be happy to end this coverage.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Cross of Florida?

Original review: Jan. 4, 2020

I have read many of these reviews and at least feel better about not being the only one being treated so bad. Florida Blue is the equivalent of a Ponzi And/or Pyramid Scheme. One group, customer service, the number on all our membership cards, says do This and then when claim is filed, the claims group says the Service Team had no authority to authorize this action. Net result, Florida Blue pays nothing. Never returns calls and only seems interested in you during the enrollment period. Advice to all: AVOID THIS INSURANCE COMPANY. They add no value.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2019

They stalled on my medications to run out the clock on 2019. The doctors' offices are limited to The Physician's Group. The waiting time for a basic appointment was up to 1 1/2 hours. For a flu shot! I avoided going to my GP because of waiting times. I would. recommend ANY company over Florida Blue. They said I was paid in full, then said I 23.05 short on a payment from months ago. I paid immediately! Still no meds. Horrible company!

Original review: Dec. 21, 2019

The sales lady requested our adjusted gross income to determine if we were eligible for a discount in our monthly premium payments. We took that information from our 2018 1040 line 7 adjusted gross income and confirmed it with her that the line item was correct. Yes confirmed it. I made the first payment to start coverage. Several weeks later I spoke to my CPA friend and he said she was incorrect. They must ask for your modified adjusted gross income which in our case includes my wife's social security annual payments since we file a joint tax return.

So I call Florida Blue and was dispatched to 5 different people over 3 hours and finally reached a man who put me through the application process a second time. I questioned him about that and explained I had submitted an application and simply wanted to correct my MODIFIED Adjusted gross Income figure which was given in error due to the sales lady's mistake. He said, "Well we have to ask all the questions again." Not to worry! After I got off the phone I received an email saying I am now enrolled and need to select my policy which I had selected in November 2019 and had paid the January premium. Another mistake????

Original review: Dec. 20, 2019

I thought I was doing my son a big favor by upgrading from United Health Care Golden Rule (Med. health care plan, that paid 100 dollars on a 6400 overpriced hospital visit that was 40 minutes long), United did not cover any of Dr. visit a few days later, and none of the blood tests, (another 1200 out of pocket). So I upgraded because, I thought since Florida Blue Select cost more and covered more and way less deductibles it showed online plus I was told over the phone also.

I have been on the phone nearly 3 hours calling Doctor's offices I found online within a 50 mile radius of my home that say ONLINE THEY ACCEPT FLORIDA BLUE SELECT. HOWEVER, when I call thinking yes, yay, they accept Florida Blue Select 1835, I get told, "OH NO ma'am. We do not accept Florida Blue SELECT." I said, "Really? Your website says ya'll do and the insurance cost me nearly 1,000 a mo." What in the world is going on with health insurance nowadays???? So so so so so so so frustrating, to say the least. I always had health insurance with my employer and never had issues like I have now. Man, if I could go back to those days, I would do cartwheels down my street, if I was able. I always had coverage and always had solid great coverage on my son.

Now, I am older, unemployed, due to health (not bad but not great), and a divorce left me needing to get my own insurance and also for my son. Make too much for Medicaid, not old enough for Medicare, can't work like I used to be able to, so I am left in the hands of Florida Blue Select, which I thought was accepted and good insurance. I mean, it's not cheap after all. I just don't understand it. What do people like me and my son do for health insurance???? When I can not even find decent doctors in my area or within 50 miles that will even accepts it, die younger or what????

Original review: Dec. 16, 2019

Throughout 2019 we paid almost 20,000 in premiums for an insurance that was rejected by all NYU medical center doctors, rejected by all Cleveland Clinic doctors and at least 4 other specialists. Finally we tried seeing the doctors they accepted and gave up as the quality was awful and we ended paying all appointments out of pocket.

Blue Cross of Florida Company Information