3.4/5 (4738 ratings)

About Assurant Phone Insurance

Assurant is a phone insurance company that provides damage coverage plans. Assurant’s insurance plans are available through several cell phone providers, with costs depending on your mobile carrier’s rates.

Top Assurant Phone Insurance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

My experience was great, the process was seamless without any issues. I processed the request online and the system was user friendly. I received my package in a timely manner and...

Verified

Excellent customer service! Listened carefully to my concerns. Willing to help me and did so expeditiously! I was very pleased with the customer representative and decided to rema...

What is Assurant Phone Insurance?

Assurant Phone Insurance helps customers protect their cell phones. A manufacturer’s warranty usually only covers hardware malfunctions and manufacturer defects, and they typically only last for the first year of your device’s life. If anything happens outside of those issues or that time frame, your warranty won’t help you.

Assurant offers protection plans that cover a variety of potential situations. This includes incidents like theft or loss, issues like water damage or cracks and hardware issues. This coverage provides financial protection if something happens to your phone, which is crucial as cellphones become more expensive.

Assurant is not available to purchase on its own. The company’s insurance plans are only available through the mobile carriers it’s partnered with. Contact your provider to ask about availability and learn about plans and pricing.

Assurant plans

Nearly a dozen carriers work with Assurant, and each has its own Assurant plans and offerings. For example, Xfinity has one plan for iPhone users and another for Android users. T-Mobile, on the other hand, has basic and 360-degree plans that cover both iPhone and Android.

A basic plan covers hardware issues once the manufacturer warranty expires. It also covers accidental damage, loss or theft. Some providers may require a deductible or service fee for specific repairs. Advanced coverage includes AppleCare services (for Apple devices) and tech support, such as Tech PHD or Pocket Geek.

To know exactly what Assurant plans are available to you, contact your mobile carrier or check its Assurant brochure.

Assurant prices

As with the plans that Assurant offers, your insurance cost varies depending on your mobile carrier. Some carriers offer several tiers with a variety of deductibles, while others have a single cost. There are many affordable options for those who want to save and higher-priced options for those who want the best coverage for their devices. Here are some example per-month costs:

• Metro by T-Mobile: $6
  • Bluegrass Cellular: $7.99 to $9.99
  • Spectrum Mobile: $7 to $18
  • Xfinity: $7 to $15
  • T-Mobile: $7 to $25
  • U.S. Cellular: $9.99 to $11.99

Check your provider’s Assurant brochure to see which plans it offers.

Assurant Phone Insurance FAQ

What does Assurant cover?
Assurant covers a variety of issues that aren’t included in your manufacturer’s warranty. These include theft, spills, loss and general malfunction. It also covers device hardware after your manufacturer’s warranty expires.
Does Assurant cover cracked screens?
Assurant may cover a cracked screen if your package includes accidental damage coverage, but there’s usually an extra service fee.
How long does it take Assurant to process a claim?
Customer reviews generally mention a fast claims process with Assurant. Many reviews state claims take 24 hours or less to process.
Does Assurant give new phones?
Assurant doesn’t give new phones as a replacement, usually. It offers customers refurbished phones of similar quality. If there is no refurbished phone available, then Assurant provides a new phone of similar quality. All replacement phones come with a six-month warranty.

Is Assurant legit?

Assurant is a good option for phone insurance. Since Assurant is only available through your phone carrier, your cost and coverage depend largely on your provider. With that said, most carriers have affordable options for phone protection. If you’d rather not risk losing or damaging your phone, Assurant is a good safety net to have.

Assurant Phone Insurance Reviews

Over 10k reviews since 2017

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Assurant Phone Insurance?

Original review: Sept. 16, 2021

I was very happy from the very beginning of this process that's getting my phone replaced because of a cracked screen on my phone. Each person I spoke with during the phone calls I was treated very well with the knowledge Assurant Associates. From the time of my first call to the time that I received my phone and there were a few more calls I made to Assurant and there was not one time I did not get things resolved. I wish all companies in this world add to knowledge to treat people with courtesy and respect that was given not only buy one but by all I spoke with.

I think T-Mobile done very well by using their services. There were a few things I cannot figure out on my phone when I first got it and they resolved that issue right off the bat. I went to a T-Mobile representative at one of the local stores here in Florida and neither one of the associates there have ever seen the phone that I had and didn't know anything about it, so at that time I told them I would just get in touch with Assurant and maybe they could learn something from them while I was there and lo and behold they were very impressed as well with the service call and resolved issues that I cannot figure out myself. Assurant spokesperson at that time really impressed them well they listened in.

Assurant Phone Insurance response

We greatly appreciate the awesome review, Ronald! Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

Get buying tips about Electronics Extended Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 16, 2021

Assurant helped me with getting a new phone due to my phone being damaged when it was dropped. I am very happy about that, but because I used the insurance twice to get replacement phones for two phones that were damaged, Assurant cancelled my insurance which I paid for consistently since I became a customer of Metro and I do not have insurance on my new phone. So if anything happens to this phone, I will need to pay to get another phone either full price or the upgraded price. I am being punished for using the insurance I paid for.

Assurant Phone Insurance response

Victoria, happy to hear we were able to assist you with a replacement. A private message was sent to you with further details.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2021

I have used Assurant many times and have been completely happy with their replacement services. The turnaround to receive new equipment is amazing, their customer service is helpful and the process as a whole is just excellent. With that said... my latest return has left me a little upset. It may seem sorta petty but for me it really didn't sit well. I finally bought a phone without having to make payments on it!! An expensive phone direct from Samsung and wouldn't even use it until insuring it through my carrier. I had meticulously cared for my phone with protective screen cover and case until one morning last week I woke up to a crack in my screen. (I still do not have an answer from my family on how it happened while I was sleeping.) No biggie, right? I have insurance.

I used my insurance to get a replacement for my device and everything went so smooth as always. Except one minor thing that normally wouldn't be a big deal but was for me because I actually bought and paid for a phone for once. They sent me a replacement in BLACK!! I know. Ridiculous. But I spent a lot of money on a pink phone. :-( I made that choice to be a little crazy with my phone for once and I was soo proud I was not making payments on a phone. So to be sent a black phone as replacement for a pink one really upset me. I called Assurant already knowing what their response to this would be. No guarantee for same color replacement. :-( I called my carrier and they sympathized enough with me to offer to try and trade the phone in for the same model in the pink I had originally chosen.

Unfortunately since it is not the newest model, they did not have it available. My carrier did then offer to trade the phone for a newer model in a variety of new color choices. (Great upsell moment, I know LOL) Since I paid for the phone in full, it will be an even trade so I guess at the end of all this there is some resolution.

That is all. I am still happy with the service, the speed, the pricing, etc. But perhaps in the future, if someone has a colored phone... Replace their phone with the same color or warn them first. It was just such a huge disappointment. Thanks.

Assurant Phone Insurance response

Amanda - We always try to match the color. However, the terms and conditions do state color is not guaranteed. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2020

Assurant mobile device insurance seems to be an okay service so far. I give 4 stars in comparison to most other corrupt insurance companies. This is the first time I had to use the insurance and my replacement phone was delivered the next day. It was thought to have been the charging port on the phone that was damaged. It was the charger. I called to tell them what the real problem was and was told all I have to do is ship the replacement device back and they'll refund the deductible. That's in process now as I'm writing this review. The reason I didn't give 5 stars is because the deductible should be lower and the replacement phones should be new phones, not reconditioned phones. The insurance premium and deductible customers pay covers more than the cost of a new phone. We're being cheated out of the premium money we pay each month if the replacement phones we get when we need to use the insurance are used reconditioned phones.

That's typical of insurance companies wanting to do all they can to limit the amount of the customer's money they actually spend on the customer to use their own insurance. They want to keep as much of that money as they can. That's why they put such extreme limitations on what is covered under the insurance. Too bad the USA is built on such greed. No other developed country treats their citizens as badly as the United States.

Assurant Phone Insurance response

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. The deductible amount is dependent on your phone's make and model. Without the coverage, you would have to pay the full retail price to replace your phone. We cover the majority of the cost of the replacement device, and the deductible would be your portion. We apologize if you were not informed that the replacement device may be refurbished. The full details of the coverage are located within your terms and conditions.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2020

The customer service representative was great! She guided me right through the process. It was short, sweet and to the point. I did get aggravated at first because when I originally filed the claim somebody had stolen not only my phone but wallet also which had my ID in it. So I could not complete the process until I had my id. I also had another Metro phone that was not being used at the time that I was going to get my number switched over to but I had the same problem. The ID issue. I couldn't switch service to another phone without my id. So I stewed on this for days. Angry at metro, Assurant, the world and God! But then God I guess told me to calm down because a few days later, by His Grace, someone returned my wallet to my mailbox. And my ID was there with it! Praise God!

At this point I was over my month plan so the phone was technically inactive. So when I called and spoke with the woman she told me that everything would be fine and she would help me get back to where I needed to be. At first I was very angry about not allowing me to pay for the deductible without having to show an id. But now I realize that it is a very safe, smart and secure guideline and procedure that is put there to protect us period even though it was holding me up and really making me sweat and struggle there for a minute, it is a necessary safety precaution. It is put there to protect us from anyone who may want to try and fraudulently make a claim or yada yada yada.

So I am, now that I have my id, lol, glad that it is placed in there. So once the ID was in place I called back, typed in my debit card number and then waited. It seemed my claim was hung up somewhere so I made a quick call back to customer service. Talk to a sweet young lady from Texas who was so very nice, intuitive and knowledgeable. Not to mention she had a thick Texas straw and a great sense of humor lol. Very personable. I asked her what the holdup was and it turned out it was my address. She narrowed it right down to that and we troubleshooted through it to figure out why it wasn't being verified and it only took not even a minute and got the verification! That was late afternoon and wouldn't you know early afternoon the next day I received my phone! I know this was long but I had to give you the full scoop. Thank you so much!

Assurant Phone Insurance response

Thank you for the great feedback. We try really hard to provide a good and secure experience. One of our main goals is consumer security and fraud prevention. We are really happy to hear that you appreciate the process.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2021

I was told by T-Mobile while filing claim my order would be for sure delivered the next day I placed the order. When I got the receipt it said a different date. I called to see if I could change address because I was out of town when I originally made the claim. They told me I couldn’t change the address even tho the phone hadn’t shipped. They said once the phone arrived I could send it back then have it resent. I paid 70 dollars for my sister to ship to me so I wouldn’t have to wait even longer for my phone. I think there should be a better way to change address if the phone hasn’t been shipped.

Assurant Phone Insurance response

We're sorry for the inconvenience, May; but we value your feedback. Thank you for sharing your insight with us regarding our shipping process.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2021

Claim would not go in through website, very poor design. I had to call 3 times and it took 12 full days to receive my phones. Almost all agents are very limited English speaking. Most emails not sent as promised and when I finally received some intelligible service my replacement phone was not shipped EXPEDITED but via UPS GROUND. It took 6 days to get to me. The only thing you have in America is an office in Pennsylvania. You're a scam and a rip-off. You should be ashamed of yourselves. Taking people's money and give almost no service. How do you sleep at night? I am sure your mother would or is very proud of you for screwing all those people.

Assurant Phone Insurance response

We're so sorry for the experience you had but glad your replacement device arrived. Thank you for the insightful feedback.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 3 stars
    Original review: Oct. 16, 2021

The process getting the phone was awesome and quick but 1 week after having the phone the speaker has already blown out on the phone. You can’t listen to any music or watch movies from the speaker. Now hardly working anymore.

Assurant Phone Insurance response

Sorry to hear about the issues with the replacement. We sent you a private message asking for further details.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2021

Very quick, I needed that, thank you. I appreciate all the hard work from everyone. My very first time calling you guys and my experience was 100% effective. Again thank you all for the teamwork. I will definitely recommend.

Assurant Phone Insurance response

Maria - Thank you for recommending us! Glad to hear you had a 5-star experience!

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Oct. 16, 2021

Very frustrating. Gave all my information to the IVR. The IVR said it would save my answers so the CSR could start where I left off. I had to render all the same questions. Frustrating. I had to listen to the pitch to use the website 4 times before I was even allowed to interact with a person, then a computer voice had me input or answer questions. Eleven minutes later I had to answer all the same questions over. Grrrr. How is this process user friendly? Seems they want to put you in submission so you have to use the website. Very bad model. I will never get a phone plan again that utilizes Assurant.

Assurant Phone Insurance response

We're so sorry for the issues you encountered, Lloyd. In the event you still need assistance, please check your private messages.

Assurant Phone Insurance Company Information