Find a Health Insurance partner

Help me decide

3.8/5 (191 ratings)
Find a Health Insurance partner

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

About Amerihealth

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

Amerihealth Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Amerihealth?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Amerihealth?

Original review: April 3, 2015

I went through the Marketplace to get a plan with Amerihealth starting in January 2014. Went with their Gold plan to fit my medical needs. All went well for 6 months. When we had "lifestyle" changes in our family, I contacted the Marketplace as required to inform them. They then contact Amerihealth to make required changes to our family plan. What a nightmare... It took months to remove my daughter from the plan as she now had her own insurance through her job, all the time being charged for her.

My other daughter turned 26 but had special needs so a request was approved to keep her on the plan after much adieu! But the premium amounts were all over the place. When we renewed in 2015, they dropped my disabled daughter from our family plan and said she had to get her own plan as that family plan no longer existed. What? So now our premiums go up for my husband and myself and also have to pay for separate coverage for my daughter. The invoices come... My daughter's separate from ours, but on ours- they have her on our plan also- and charging us even more! This took 2 months to get them to understand what they did. But now we have been billed over $300.00 more a month than what the Marketplace has quoted and confirmed.

After going back and forth with Amerihealth and the Marketplace for over 6 months, (even having 3 way calls) they still have not resolved the issue. They have all the correct information when I speak to them on the phone but it is never reflected in my bill. As a result, they are denying an authorization for medication till my premium is paid in full, but I was told not to pay it, wait for the correction to be made in my next invoice.

Every aspect of this company is a mess! They are not the same page there at all! If you call with the same question more than once you are bound to get a different answer from customer service. It's unbelievable that this company exists! I have lots of health issues and all the stress from dealing with their incompetence for the past 6 months has definitely affected my health. I will definitely find a new carrier for 2016!!!

Original review: March 16, 2015

Overcharged on premium with threats of cancellation of coverage unless the 70 dollar overcharge was paid. I finally paid it for fear of cancellation. Months of ongoing requests for my wife's ER doctor at bay shore hospital, now a 3000 Gastro bill. Months and months of calls and rerouting of calls, no follow up, or accountability.

Original review: March 8, 2015

Although the insurance coverage provided may fit your needs, just hope and pray you never need assistance from Customer Service or Billing. I have spent hours on hold and speaking with representatives regarding my now former account. Rarely was an issue addressed in one phone call even though each rep promises to do their job and resolve the issue. Thankfully I moved out of NJ and can no longer avail myself of coverage from AmeriHealth.

I have made THREE telephone requests since December asking for a letter documenting my premiums paid in 2014. My CPA requires this information for tax preparation. I was told each of the three times there would be no problem and yet I still do not have the information I need. I am mailing a letter to the Supervisor of Customer Service today, hoping written correspondence is treated with more respect than a telephone request.

If you are wondering why I don't have copies of the invoices for 2014 it is because the invoices I received were utter nonsense. They show past due amounts even though the account was NEVER in arrears. It would be nearly impossible for anyone to review the invoices and actually determine what was paid. In fact one payment was made via credit card. I was told I would have to show proof of the credit card payment for that payment to be acknowledged. This was ultimately resolved but it took MONTHS to straighten out their oversight.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2015

I had scheduled on Monday to be picked up for Wednesday at 11:25am. However, when I was ready to be picked up at 10:25am, and after 10:40am when I did not receive a phone call I then called the hotline to find out where was my ride. I was then told that they were unable to pick me up and due to the fact that something had happened to their driver and that they were trying to locate another driver for me. My concern is why didn't they tell me earlier? This is not the first time. On another occasion I was stranded for at least an hour because of their driver who claimed that she was unable to locate my address. Their customer services sucks. The people that they have hired to respond to your calls, you can't understand a word that they are saying.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2015

I absolutely recommend to purchase this plan. First of all, they give you the best plans for the price. Believe me, I did research last year, and this year too. Nothing beats Amerihealth. 0 deductibles, 0 coinsurance? Show me another plan in NJ having that, you won't find any! We use this plan for the second year. Me and my children visited doctors multiple times, labs, tests, I even had microsurgery. Plan covered everything as promised with 0 headache.

But let me mention the Cons too. They have the worst possible customer service. So signing up for Amerihealth can be really painful and time consuming. It took us almost a year to solve all mistakes they made during application for the plan. Once that done, I can say only good things about this company. They cover everything as promised. No need to call and beg for something. 100% Happy!

Original review: Feb. 2, 2015

Someone below said they are worse than Comcast, and though that is hard to do, it is so true. I could not log onto their website to review my benefits - of course, I never received a booklet -- because every time I entered my User Name (as verified by email from them) it defaulted to another name. No matter what I did, I could not log on. Sooooo I call them and the woman, to her credit, tried many times to log on herself, to no avail. After more than an hour of nonsense, changing my password from my end and then hers, she could not correct the problem. Though I repeated over and over again that the problem was with my user name, she seemed to ignore what I was saying and stayed fixated on repeatedly changing my password.

I simply wanted to know my benefits, and she could not even access that for me. Finally, I said "how about this -- back me out of the system entirely, then I will re-register." She could not do that. She could not do anything, actually, whatsoever to give me an answer or help in any way, except to tell me that she will send a request in to have my online information looked at and I will get a response in about 30 DAYS. "You mean to tell me that a medical insurance company does not have an in-house tech department??? And how did this glitch end up in my online registration in the first place?" Of course the call ended with her asking me, "Was your problem solved to your satisfaction?" Um, NO! How could she have even considered following her script after all I went through for naught. I was seeing stars. Well, back to the Health Care Exchanges I go. I wish I had read this website before signing up. My fault for that.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2015

I am writing this review on their recent billing and my last 6 mos. with Amerihealth. When we started with Amerihealth in July of 2014, they couldn't get our start date correct so we were double billed until Dec. 2014. This despite me calling repeatedly to straighten it out wasting hours on end. I literally was in tears some days with them being bounced to department, etc. Never mind the fact that while doing so, they cancelled my insurance on me twice. TWICE! Once I found out while checking in to the doctors office. Then whenever a claim went through, it wouldn't be processed correctly. Once again back to waiting forever to straighten that out. They would tell me they were in the wrong and would reprocess it. Great! However, they would get it straightened out only to several months. Later, for some reason, they would take their money back from the doctor's office saying it was a mistake. Back to square one again!

Now on to the billing. When I didn't receive an invoice for Jan. by the end of Dec. I called. They told me bills wouldn't be out until around the 7th of Jan. I didn't receive mine until the 20th of Jan and I promptly paid it. They cashed my check on the 23rd and then on the 27th sent me a threatening past due notice. How funny that the letter states it was due on Jan. 1st and is now overdue and my policy may be terminated. Not only did they say I was overdue for Jan. but also for Feb. which is due Feb. 1st. Who in this world makes these letters up? Please don't blame a computer as somebody is generating these. Every month I have to call and waste my time trying to straighten out THEIR mess. For this aggravation, we pay over $1,400 a month.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2015

It took one and a half hours just to find out if my eye care physician was covered under my insurance. Not only did I have to speak with several people before I got the info I was hung up on once and no one tried to call me back. It was one of the most frustrating calls I have had to deal with. AND it wasn't even routed through another country. These were Americans!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2015

I purchased Amerihealth insurance through the Marketplace. It was the worst decision I have made through my 62 years of life. My insurance went into effect 5/1/14, though it took an additional two months for my pharmacy to accept it because Amerihealth typed in the wrong birthdate. It was a "simple" matter of Jan 16 typed in as Jan 15. I was told by a customer representative that it would take two weeks for the correction to be made. It never was.

In early summer, I developed a benign tumor on my left cheek. My ENT doctor does not accept Amerihealth but because I trust him I paid out-of-pocket for his office visits. When it came time for tests, I used AmeriHealth with its rather large deductible so in effect I was still paying out-of-pocket. The tumor grew to the point of it affecting my hearing and became painful. Once again I went to my ENT doctor who informed me that surgery would be necessary. He then referred me to a colleague who did accept AmeriHealth.

In all fairness, during this time, I became delinquent with a few payments because of the out-of-pocket expenses. AmeriHealth sent me a letter stating that I was behind in my payments and that the sum of $900+ dollars was needed. In that letter they stated their "concern" and guaranteed me that I would not be dropped if payment were made prior to Dec 20, 2014. I paid them immediately on Nov. 24 and the check was cashed on Nov. 27.

Meanwhile, I followed my ENT doctors advice and ent to a doctor who DOES accept AmeriHealth. I was scheduled for surgery on Dec. 5. Everything went well until... billing time! The hospital informed me that my insurance was not valid and that AmeriHealth had dropped me for non-payment! Every other bill I get says the same thing. I received the letter that I was being dropped, post marked DEC. 13.

Now I am looking at a $59,000 hospital bill and about another $30,000 dollars of tests, participating physicians, etc. Once one gets sick, watch out! This company will use every tool at its disposal to screw you over. They Do NOT want to pay anything. I could go on and on about the deception used but I am going to have to save that for my attorneys to deal with. And as a final "kicker" I just got a letter yesterday from them requesting payment to continue my coverage in 2015!!! I will go to the MarketPlace and be sure NOT to select these thieves!

Updated on 5/21/2015 - I will make this as short as possible: When "Obamacare" or the "Affordable Health Care Law" went into effect I signed up... went through the initial glitches, etc., thinking "this is great!" because my former medical insurance payments got ridiculously high. Because the initial Health.gov site was ill-prepared to handle the influx, I decided call the 800 number and sign up by phone. The representative I spoke to was ILL-ADVISED!!! She entered the wrong numbers regarding my income (entered GROSS not NET) and so I was FORCED to purchase my insurance from providers and I chose Amerihealth at $192 a month in NJ.

In May of 2014 I developed a tumor suddenly... A hospital visit to Hackettstown Hospital in the emergency room led to an ER-doctor saying to "not worry... go home and eat lemons" ... (I assumed a calcium build was on his mind, because my Dad had this problem as well). But for that 15 minutes of "sage advice" I was billed about 2 months of wages. ENTER AMERIHEALTH. I slowly slipped and got behind a few months in my payments for premiums I was taking care of the bills stacking up for their Co-payments, I received a letter from Amerihealth stating that I was behind my premiums and that they would not cancel my coverage if I paid by Dec.10, 2014.... I sent them a check and thought all was OK. The check was cashed (proof available) on Nov. 28.

On Dec. 5 I went into surgery at Hackettstown Hospital. No one thought there was a problem... I spent 2 days in the ICU unit and 1 one day in Recovery before I was dismissed. The VERY NEXT DAY Hackettstown Hospital called me up and told me that AMERIHEALTH dropped my policy on 9/30/2014. They would pay NOTHING. AMERIHEALTH continued however by even revoking bills they paid to LabCorp, etc., even to the point of using the excuse of "unnecessary" for my family doctor to request blood transfusions!

And... if this isn't bad enough... what did Amerihealth do with my payments to secure my insurance... The GREEDY ** that run this Insurance Agency took my payments and applied them to a NEW INSURANCE POLICY for 2015 that I DID NOT WANT! Including a letter that stated that (paraphrased) states that since there was a "lapse" in my insurance, that they would consider any and all requests for payments for this issue to be void. THANK YOU AMERIHEALTH! You have placed me into a $95,000 debt! I am in the process of hiring a legal team to look into this matter... but I have little hope.... Debt collectors call everyday... incessantly... and I know that I cannot tell them to contact my lawyers until a case is actually filed. (And I am sure it WILL BE!!!) I advise EVERYONE that is shopping for health company at all cost.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2015

It takes more than 1/2 hour to get anybody live on the phone at this company. When you write via email, they never reply. When you ask them questions, they never give you a straight answer. And all for $500 more per year. This company needs oversight. It is a horror.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2014

Joined Amerihealth NJ after my Cobra Ended in July 2013. Since then I paid them a $1450 monthly fee. As of today they have not paid for any of our services. If I am in PR they don't pay, if we go to the doctor office they don't want to pay, Medications, they don't want to pay. The last one on medications is went to Walgreen's to get my Blood Pressure Medication as I did for 5 years to find out Amerihealth NJ said they won't pay for the medication, they wanted the pharmacist to call the doctor and change my medication for something generic. This was during Thanksgiving weekend so no doctor available.

Had to pay $175 for medication and still waiting for resolution. Latest one is we received letter from them Dec 11 saying that my policy is going to be up over $200 a month due to OBAMA CARE!!! My Question is: How is possible that companies like AmeriHealth NJ abuse and exploits New Jersey Families in such a way and nobody do anything about it? Is there any Government Office here to protect us?

Original review: Nov. 30, 2014

My wife resident in rehab facility whose financial department of Alaris, Cherry Hill, N.J. kept bugging me about co-pay and even had audacity to suggest to disenroll me from current Amerihealth and go with Medicare so that they could get their co-pay. Ironic thing is that they sent me bill for $500 which, would have the check in mail right now. In any event, rehab was worse ever so I went to another home and was promptly told that my wife no longer had coverage with Amerihealth! No notice was ever given. Two checks were cashed by them and the invoices indicate coverage for that pay period was from 12/01/14 to 12/31/14. I also have power of attorney over the wife. Now this seems downright criminal to me in view of the fact that she is at a critical point in her care and their response is to dump her. I should be able to do something about this! She should be re-admitted to the hospital to be re-evaluated. I need help and advice here.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2014

Customer service is not knowledgeable about any information regarding plans, status of plans, status of enrollment, etc. I purchased my policy through Healthcare.gov and they have no status that the plan is in effect and as a result I cannot pay for the insurance. The wait time on Amerihealth is always upwards of 30 minutes and then there are no answers because they have no evidence that I have a plan in effect. This is 4 business days after signing up on Healthcare.gov and Healthcare.gov has a definitive status the plan is in effect. If can't pay for the plan by the start date I can get dropped. Since when do you have to jump through hoops to give a company your money?! We need more options for insurance carriers in New Jersey. This company cannot effectively manage the demand.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2014

Purchased insurance thru the marketplace 2013 for 2014. My experience with Amerihealth NJ has been nothing but stress and aggravation. They switched my plan from the one that I picked thru the marketplace. They have yet to get my bill correct. You sit on hold forever. There is no customer service. This company needs to be investigated and shut down!!! We are into November now and no correction. I paid what I know my premium is minus the subsidy. Called my bank and blocked any attempt by Amerihealth to withdraw any funds. Worst company ever!!!

Original review: Sept. 30, 2014

When Obamacare took effect, I could not keep my BC/BS policy of many years, so I signed up for AmeriHealth directly (NOT through the healthcare exchange). There were multiple enrollment glitches from day one (November 19, 2013). AmeriHealth was unable to resolve multiple errors through their customer service, which has been and remains in a state of utter failure. In exasperation, I filed a formal complaint with the NJ Division of Banking and Insurance on March 1, 2014. Over the next six months (despite countless attempted phone calls, faxes, e-mails, and letters), AmeriHealth failed to resolve the outstanding (but easily resolvable) glitches, potentially leaving me with non-ACA compliant insurance.

Finally, 200 days after the filing of the complaint, they sent me a letter stating the action they would take to resolve the complaint. Sadly, though, they failed to do what their own letter said they would do. I did not think it possible, but AmeriHealth is so incompetent that they are truly WORSE THAN COMCAST. The NJDBI should shut down the AmeriHealth organization and forcibly merge it with an insurance carrier capable of providing at least a minimally competent level of service.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2014

For two days I have been trying to speak with someone at Amerihealth regarding whether a provider is covered under my plan. The doctor is showing on their website as a provider but when I called to make an appointment, the doctor's office was not sure whether they were covered under my particular policy and told me to check with Amerihealth. Such a simple question and yet I was on hold for over 40 minutes on Friday, and have been on hold for over 30 minutes today with no response. I should note that the billing office answers the calls immediately. What is going on? I will be changing insurance companies at the next opportunity.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2014

We signed on with amerihealth through the market place when we were forced out of our old plan. We did receive a subsidy so let me state that we are grateful for that. The policy was sold to us with vision care. My account online states that my family has vision care. The site directs us to Davis Vision in which we have to choose our provider from their list. Upon calling three different providers on the list two said they don't accept Davis Vision and didn't understand why their names are on there. The third did accept and proceeded to take my acct number so she could verify that I actually have vision. Imagine my surprise when she called back and said "you're not covered". She asked that I call to clarify this which I did. Are you ready for this response? Not only do I NOT have vision, I'm forbidden to get it through my subsidized policy. I'd have to buy a separate vision policy if I wanted those benefits.

I took snapshots of my acct where it clearly states I have vision along with my ID card that states I have vision benefits. This policy was sold to us with these benefits. I'm sure I'm not the only one since the woman to whom I spoke with said this has been happening time and time again. This should be investigated big time. The woman at Amerihealth went to double check this for me but when she came back to the phone she said that she already knew the answer to this since she has dealt with this quite a bit throughout the last few months. Last time I checked when you put something into your policy and it's stated on your account, you should be able to depend on receiving "it". Talk about fraud! What to do next...

Original review: July 23, 2014

After canceling my insurance plan (as my current employer now provides coverage) I continue to be charged monthly by AmeriHealth. Not only have they continued to bill me, I have spent hours on hold, multiple times, and only to get nowhere.

Original review: July 17, 2014

I had purchased my Amerihealth plan through the marketplace in May of 2014. The approval was quick and I made my first payment with my Visa card all in the same afternoon. A week later, I received a letter from the marketplace stating my approval and the amount of my subsidy. I waited another week before inquiring about my Amerihealth card and booklet. I was told that even though they had withdrawn from my Visa, and gave me a confirmation number 2 weeks earlier, I was not yet in the system, BUT that my coverage (that I paid for) would be retro to the 1st. That is just about as useless as anything.

So I waited another week to ask about my card and was told they would be sent out in 7-10 business days. When I asked about my booklet, I was told the same thing. My cards did come (over a month after I signed on and wasted a month's payment) but I never received a booklet. Another call. Held on the line nearly 45 minutes just to be told that one would be sent in another 7-10 business days. Nothing came. Called again. Asked for supervisor. Was told that she (the supervisor) would contact the company that handles the booklets and have one expedited for me. She did keep her word and did call me back a few hours later to tell me I should be receiving one within the next couple of days via UPS. 6 days later I did get a "booklet" in the mail, NOT UPS. It was copy paper stapled together. Oh well with that, at least I had one.

Now... billing issues. I also had never received a bill. When I contacted them for that, they verified my address and said I should have received one. I explained again that I didn't and asked to make a payment over the phone. I was placed on hold a second time (30 mins) and was transferred to Billing. I gave all of my information again and told her I was going to be paying with my Visa card. NOPE. Apparently they want your banking information. Routing number and account number. That is the ONLY way to make a payment online or over the phone (unless when they are reeling you in with that first payment... eh-um..paid with my Visa). So due to not having a bank account, my ONLY option is to purchase a money order and send it to some shady PO box in Philadelphia. This company is a joke and it is a chore to manage your account. I haven't even needed to use it yet and it is a headache. Come on open enrollment (Nov. 15th)!

Original review: July 3, 2014

I contacted AmeriHealth on February 17, 2014 requesting my benefit handbook (a hard copy). I have called almost every month since requesting the same thing. I have been given one excuse after another. I have written letters to the Philadelphia, PA office and the Cranbury, NJ office. As of today's date, July 3, 2014, I am still getting waiting. The letters I have received from them have indicated that they were overwhelmed, etc. etc. That they will check into this matter. However, they never include a telephone number to reach them. They just say to contact customer service... which gets you no satisfaction at all. I asked for a telephone number for the person who sent me the letter, but they will not give one to me and instead tell me that they will have someone call me.

Their letters tell you that you should create an online account, which I have, but when you look up information, it is limited. I still want a hard copy of a booklet and it is such a simple request. Why is there such a problem? In their last letter to me the Specialist of Executive Inquiries says that they apologize for the delay in sending one out and to look online. They say that the purpose of their letter was to confirm receipt of my booklet. How can I ever confirm receipt when it never arrives? The have my address correct as I have verified it with them.

Original review: July 3, 2014

On June 27th, I discovered on Amerihealthexpress.com that my son's health insurance was cancelled on March 31, 2014. I continued to receive by mail monthly billing statements and payment due as usual up to and including June 2014. Had I not looked on his account online, I would have never known of this termination. I called insurance company and after staying on hold for over 45 minutes I finally spoke with someone in customer service. Told I had to hold on to be transferred to Member Services. Spoke with Member Services and was told they sent out three letters informing us of the termination because it did not meet the requirements of the Affordable Care Act minimum coverage and that we should select another insurance plan.

The new law states that Individual Plans have until the Anniversary date in 2014 before they have to switch (I have September and they have April). We never received any such letters and the period of time called the "life event" period only allows you 60 days from date of termination. I spoke with a "manager" and was told the letters were sent and when she checks the file as to the dates they were sent, she would call me to re-confirm the fact that there was nothing they could do to help me. In my defense, I explained I never received any notice. I did received billing statements and continued to make payments up to and including June 2014. We also received a new health insurance card in April 2014 (a month after they terminated the insurance).

Bottom line...it is he said she said and the ball is in their court (as I was told). They also informed me that a refund check was processed for all of the payments I made. Question??? Isn't the fact that I am getting a refund check proof that I never received notice(s) of termination? Why would anyone continue to pay for something they no longer had... and... why would the company continue to accept my payments and send me statements in the mail that I did receive??? Because the 60-day period has passed, I cannot get Health Care for my son until open enrollment in October 2014.

He had Labs done at Lab Corp on June 26, 2014 and used his insurance card without any problems. Lab Corp is the lab he must use and when they swiped his card as usual, all was fine. This was the day before we discovered he was terminated. I was told we will have to pay for the labs out of pocket. I need the copies of the supposed three letters sent to me. I have asked but have not received. My son will have no healthcare from now until open enrollment in October.

Original review: June 18, 2014

Never in my life have I had an insurance co. like this one. Only had for 6 months and if I could find another ins. co. I would. Twice now I have been pummeled with medical bills that they don't cover. Never told I was going to have to pay something and then out of the blue I get 2 big bills. I am on a fixed income and this doesn't help matters. This company doesn't even have a dental supplement. I have dental work that needs to be done and twice I got a 45 minute runaround just to find this out. All my previous insurers had dental. Customer service is a nightmare.

Original review: June 9, 2014

Consumer Alert!!! Do not do business with AmeriHealth!!! I bought an off exchange policy effective for 1/1/2014. I paid FULL price for this plan. No subsidy. They never covered me. They refuse to refund my premium. I bought a plan from Horizon which began on March 1, 2014. I contacted the NJ Dept. of Banking and Insurance and filed a complaint.

So far, I'm keeping my fingers crossed. AmeriHealth's customer service - rude with attitude! These Gorillas have no clue what day it is, they simply hang up on you (or they just keep you on hold before they disconnect you.) Now I'm out a significant amount of money. I pray that they eventually go out of business or the State of New Jersey shuts them down. DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT PURCHASING A HEALTH PLAN WITH AMERIHEALTH OF NJ!!!!!

Original review: May 7, 2014

Just recently, got my Amerihealth insurance card 2 days ago. I tried making a appointment with a Dr and was told to call my insurance to make sure they took the insurance. I was on hold for 5:30:16 sec. amazing... frustrated... wanted to scream. As I was on hold, little messages came on. One was to get their app on your phone. I did... I found more information on that phone app than I did on the website. Check it out. Oh, by the way, no one answered and I finally hung up because the 2 portable phones died and I just couldn't take it anymore. I figured since March 30 was the last day to get the insurance, everyone waited for the last minute like me. So the lines were ringing off the hook. I would say in a few weeks it will calm down. Whew... and stay in good health till then. Have a nice day. BTW, when you are able to get customer service, they are very nice and helpful.

Original review: May 6, 2014

Amerihealth cancelled my policy without any significant warning and continued to withdraw funds from my account. After contacting them and getting reassurance that withdrawals will stop, they continued to withdraw funds. I was unable to access my "payment method" from the website due to cancellation of policy evidently caused by Obama's Affordable Care Act. Finally had to get my bank to stop payments to this "Black Hole" and reimburse me for the loss. Their performance has been excellent while my policy was in effect but this transition to welfare-style health care has killed my commitment to this Health care provider. Through this entire ordeal, they sold me a new ACA compliant policy to replace my old one but nothing ever came from that. Trying to call them to get information or status about your "new" policy is next to useless and the quality of their associates has dropped to a zero grade. Because they tried to steal my money, provide no services and don't answer the phone anymore is the reason I recommend you AVOID THEM AT ALL COSTS!!!!

Original review: May 1, 2014

I called them up for many issues on my recently bought health plan and no representative picks up the call and I never got a chance to talk a real person. I hate this... Very intolerable!!

Original review: April 30, 2014

I had a grand mal seizure on April 11, 2014. Doctor increased medication from 250 mg to 500 mg on April 14. That medication needed approval from AMERIHEALTH. Medication approved on April 29, 2014 (2 wks later). Doctor requested an EEG, GLUCOSE, & MRI on April 14. All were approved and done w/ exception of MRI. Went for MRI on April 30. Was not approved. Got home & called AMERIHEALTH. Was told MRI go through a 3rd party & the doctor sent it to the wrong department. I asked to speak to a Manager after being on hold for 46 minutes, spoke w/ manager & voiced my concerns. Upon hanging up I heard Manager laughing w/ someone else. AMERIHEALTH IS A JOKE. They think it’s a joke when you complain about the confusion. Your health, medication, requested tests & concerns should be the focus, not explaining to a customer how wrong the doctor was or third party associates. Never experienced this type of behavior & problems with Charter Health!!!!

Original review: April 28, 2014

I signed up with Amerihealth via healthcare.gov. In the first few months I really had issue with customer support. I couldn't even get down to paying my monthly premium. To some extent I could understand that as they could have been bombarded by subscriber because of the new health care law. The real issue I have is, them not covering prescription drugs they claim they do. I check the drug name on their website whether they cover before I signed up. That is one of the reasons why I signed up. They are giving me a run around in accepting my doctor authorization letter. I have been trying to do this almost every other day for the last two months. My doctor has faxed the letter to 8886715285 multiple times. When I call 8886787012 to check if they have received it, they tell me they have not. They are just too cold about it and say "well, we haven't received, there is nothing we can do." Come on! We live in a techy age. When my fax machine is giving positive sent reports how come they cannot receive it? I think the idea is to have the consumer keep trying and finally the consumer will drop dead!

Original review: April 25, 2014

No one possibly has this much time to manage health insurance without even having an illness. I signed up for this garbage, thanks to Obamacare discontinuing my Horizon policy and have spent endless hours on the phone trying to get my payments resolved. They accepted my payments but refused to credit my account. Now their latest curve ball is they sent me a new ID card and changed my primary care physician to be 2 hours away in South Jersey. Wasn't that nice of them? And I have an appointment with mine in a few days just to get a referral to see an eye doctor. Complete waste of time and money!!!

Original review: April 18, 2014

I became ill on 1/24 and was placed on Disability by my Physician on 1/27/14. My employer had "outsourced" their disability Insurance to AmeriHealth recently in 2013 which most of the employee force had refused to agree to this changes when we were notified, even though we were told it was for the best, NOT. I have exhausted calls and even written to their CEO Judith L. Roman to no avail. Their MO is to tell you in a very curt tone that: "they have NOT received your Physician's paperwork" via fax which is the norm for doctors to fax to insurances and as such they can't make a decision! Hence no check.

I took it upon myself to investigate this issue and the Doctor indeed had proof of it being sent through their fax confirmation logs. I proceeded to re-fax to them and finally they could not deny it any longer since I had my own fax log that it had gone through. However, I was then told that I would have to wait even though they had received the paperwork despite of their denials back in early February! Strangely enough I have found through coworkers that (4) four other employees were told repeatedly as well the same as me that they had not received their doctors faxes (how is this possible in this day and age?) and how does this company gets away with treating those enrolled in their plans so poorly with such heartless scams and why do they prey on the sick and those in need?

Amerihealth Company Information