4.3/5 (12591 ratings)
Author picture
Written by Kathryn Parkman
Edited by Jon Bortin

About American Home Shield

American Home Shield is a home warranty company with over 1.8 million customers. It provides home service contracts that cover major home systems and appliances and offers additional protection for electronics and select maintenance services. The company has access to a network of over 17,000 licensed contractors and has paid out over $2 billion in claims over the past five years.

Pros

• 30-day workmanship guarantee
    • Flexible payment options
    • Does not require maintenance records

Cons

• Not available in Alaska
    • Some customer service complaints

Bottom Line

American Home Shield offers three warranty plans to cover systems and appliances, regardless of age. AHS provides additional coverage for electronics, pools or spas, and roof leak repairs.

American Home Shield Reviews

Over 50k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Shield?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Shield?

Original review: June 5, 2008

Last Tuesday, May 27, I placed a service request for my AC. The vendor came the following day, Wednesday, and diagnosed the problem. The compressor is out, therefore I have no AC. Thursday,5/29, he contacted AHS. The parts were supposed to be in Victoria Tuesday June 3. Since I am a severe asthmatic with a histamine allergy and on medications, I cannot tolerate heat. I explained, to numerous people, that this repair was a medical necessity. I also volunteered to fax doctor reports as proof.

Additionally I stated I was willing to pay the difference between AHS firms buying power? and mine. I volunteered to give FedEx account numbers to expedite freight. Pay overtime if needed All to no avail. I told the AHS supervisor late yesterday afternoon (Wed 6/04) in addition to an email I sent - that if I had not heard from someone about this by noon today CST I was contacting corporate. I did. AHS is owned by Service Master. CEO is Pat Spainhour. I make promises, not empty threats.

Being without AC in Victoria, Texas with heat indices near or exceeding 100 for over a week is absurd to say the least. Two neighbors both realtors, one being the one that recommended AHS are both aware of this situation. At this time neither myself, nor anyone else I know can in good-faith recommend AHS. That is sad, because since 2002 when I first bought my policy I have educated numerous folks AHS and the benefits it provides. No more.

Feeling poorly. Using breathing equipment daily.

Original review: June 5, 2008

Thursday,5/29, he contacted AHS.
    The parts were supposed to be in Victoria Tuesday June 3.

I explained, to numerous people, that this repair was a medical necessity.
    I also volunteered to fax doctor reports as proof.

Additionally:
    1. I stated I was willing to pay the difference between AHS firms buying power? and mine.
    2. I volunteered to give FedEx account numbers to expedite freight.

3. Pay overtime if needed

All to no avail.

I told the AHS supervisor late yesterday afternoon (Wed 6/04) in addition to an email I sent - that if I had not heard from someone about this by noon today CST I was contacting corporate. I did. AHS is owned by Service Master. CEO is Pat S.
    I make promises, not empty threats.

Original review: June 4, 2008

Our Air condition went out Tuesday night so we contacted our home warranty company. We are told by the AC repair person that it will be Friday before they can find time to come out to our house. Well I tell the guy that I will contact our home warranty company and inform them that this is not acceptable since I have 2 kids and it's 95 - 96 degrees outside and with the humidity it's hovering around 102 degrees in the house. So, we call and are told that this company is the ONLY one that can be sent to our house. This is because the repair company is meeting the expectations of the home warranty company.

I start thinking about it a figure out that if the guy comes on Friday between 3 - 5pm if he needs a part and doesn't have it on his truck he is going to say 'Guess it will be Monday folks'. Or I bet if we pay him the overtime he will magically find the part that night nad return the next morning Saturday and fix it for the over time fee. So my wife contacts the home warranty fools and tells them this and they repeat that it's not life threating and that we are out of luck.

I know for a fact we have about 60 AC repair companies in the Birmingham area and for these fools to tell me that this one company is the only one that can do the work is an insult to me and my family.

Original review: June 4, 2008

I signed up with American Home Shield (herein also referred to as AHS) on 08/09/07 and my first payment was charged to my credit card on 08/15/07 as agreed, and every month thereafter on time every time, without fail. On the evening of 04/09/08 our water heater began to leak from the top of the tank. By the morning of 04/10/08 it began also leaking from the bottom. This of course meant that we had to turn off all hot water to our home.

I contacted AHS on 04/10/08 at 11:08AM and they assigned a vendor (ARS Rescue Rooter) and I was contacted by ARS Rescue Rooter within an hour and told they would have a technician come out between 1:00PM and 6:00PM the same day. The technician arrived at 2:15PM and I took him to our crawlspace to surmise the problem. Before even making it to the water heater he shook his head and blurted out code violations (apparently the ARS Rescue Rooter illicit M.O.). To my surprise because I had just purchased the home 2 years prior and we had the crawlspace area thoroughly inspected. He made a call to AHS for approval and I waited to hear about coverage information.

I was contacted by AHS within about 30 minutes, approximately 2:55PM. The AHS Rep. told me that they would cover the water heater because the problem was due to normal wear but he said that he was informed by the vendor that there were code issues in relation to the water heater that would cost an additional $900.00 out of pocket. I spoke with the technician and he stated that he could not perform ANY work without doing ALL the work due to County laws and ARS Rescue Rooter policy. I then asked the technician to provide me with a written copy of the estimate, to my shock he refused and stormed off (right across our new sod, as a mention to his mindset in regard to respect for clientele).

In truth there were no code violations as confirmed by an authentic professional and an inspector. The ONLY additional work possibly considered necessary, not under warranty by AHS, was the compression tank and that is only required if we upgrade the tank we currently had, not simply replace with a comparable item. By the way, the expansion tank is a $20.00 item retail if we had of requested a new one to be installed, and at no time did we request to have ARS to remove our old unit.

I contacted AHS to inform them of the misconduct, attempted extortion and exploitation of a client in a vulnerable situation. I was informed by AHS that I could opt for the Cash Out Option but I would have to wait. To add insult to injury AHS finally offered me a Cash Out offer of $165.00 to cover the cost of the water heater and the labor to repair it. I have since verified with the County and a legitimate plumber that the alleged code violation pointed out by the technician were in fact erroneous and I have had to have the problem repaired on my own at a total cost of $379.44 just for the water heater with labor, and this was at a substantially discounted price from a well known service provider. The lack of cooperation in resolving our issue from AHS is in direct violation of our agreement, resulting in our home having no hot water for four days.

Bottom line, I have been in no way compensated for the four days we were forced to live with cold water only in our home due directly to negligence on the part of American Home Shield. Had I realized that we would be unable to count on American Home Shield I would have had a new water heater installed the same day as the problem occurred. I know several honest plumbing contractors due to my daily field activities. After I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau AHS did send another check for an additional $150.00.

To sum up, service was never provided nor was adequate compensation; which is in direction violation of our agreement. This act by AHS and failure to react responsibly when required nullifies any and all agreements that may have been in effect prior to the morning of 04/10/08 leaving a full amount still due of $312.00.

Original review: June 4, 2008

I am a Farmers Insurance agent that represented AHS as a value to our clients. They have held on to own personal my premium on a cancellation and other customers and will not refund the money. I can't get in touch with anyone that seems to have authority to execute unearned premiums. They have mis-lead me which mis-leads my clients. This isn't good business and holding unearned premium is illiegal.

I have paid $180.00 out of pocket for the product.

Original review: June 3, 2008

I purchased my home in January 2008. By the end of the month, the furnace would run for 5 minutes, off for 10, over and over again. I called AHS and they sent a technician. He looked at the furnace and said there was water in there...he was going to get an electric shock and refused to touch it. He told AHS I needed a new heating unit, evaporator coil, and drain pan, but since there was rust in the unit, it happened before I purchased the home.

AHS would not cover it (of course, the only statement I have is the amount they were charging AHS). I then called another company. For right under $500, they repaired the furnace. They replaced the heat element, sequencer, and a couple of other things. Granted this is an old furnace, but it was then running great. I turned the a/c on June 1 to enjoy lots of warm air.

I called AHS this morning, and the person I spoke with said that since I did not have the furnace fixed the way the guy said it had to be fixed (all of the items he apparently listed even though he wouldn't even touch the furnace), they would also not repair the a/c. I am now waiting to once again pay out of pocket to have my a/c fixed. What kind of shady company is this?

And the best part? When I called my real estate agent in January to complain, he told me that he probably shouldn't have told me to buy the warranty...it's a shady company that does anything it can to get out of paying to do the work.

Original review: June 2, 2008

American Home Shield is an expert, an expert at avoiding its contractual obligations to their consumers. Their home warranty plans are worthless as almost invariably they will point to their customers as negligent and at fault for everything that they have agreed to cover in their contract. From my experience, they do not have an appeal mechanism either - it's their way or the highway.

The folks that one must deal with on their 800 numbers are not knowledgeable, nor are they helpful. They are obviously taught to say no and just get rid of you. Personally, I've had enough and am not going to tolerate their latest contracual breach.

Here are the circumstances of their latest denial: Our Kitchenaid refrigerator stopped cooling. We had a short window to deal with the fix, which would have helped save our considerable foodstocks. A repairman was dispatched. He spent less than 5 minutes on the premises before determining that it was our fault that the refrigerator had failed. He indicated the coils were dirty and therefore we were negligent.

He told me that American Home Shield had instructed them to walk away from any refrigerator repair where there was any sort of dirt on the coils. American Home Shield obviously intimidates their service contractors because our guy indicated that they could get stuck with the repair themselves if they don't do exactly what they are told. In our opinion, a terrible breach of fiduciary duty.

By the way, every refrigerator on the planet has dust build up on the coils and I actually clean the 5% of the coil in our unit periodically that is accessible by the laymen. Otherwise, they cannot be cleaned.

Original review: June 2, 2008

I signed a contract for 1 year with the essential plan home warranty ($356). I asked the question if I could change the plan any time and the answer was yes. Also to confirm I asked if I could keep the essential plan during the winter and change it in the summer when the Central Air system would be included and that is when I would need it. The answer was yes.

When the summer started I called to change my plan and they said I could not change my plan until expiration. I asked to be contacted with a supervisor who told me the same thing. I explained that is not what I was told on the phone and asked if she had a recording of the conversation and she said they do not keep recordings and sorry.

Now I would have to cancel the policy because it is not what I realy need. I could have made the decision from the begining about what plan to pick if the information would have been correct.

Original review: June 2, 2008

Our air conditioner died. We called American Home Shield to help us. We have been customers of theirs for many years. So far our air conditioning has been off for three days. We live in south Texas. It is 90+ degrees outside. AHS gave us the name of a company here in town to do the work for us. We waited a day for them to call. And now we have to wait two more days for them to get the work done.

AHS refused to give us the name of another company to help us. They apparently have a 48 hour rule, and companies can make you wait until they can get to you. Even if it takes a week. AHS locks you in to working with one company. It does not seem logical to me to not be able to have a problem like ours fixed within 24 hours. AHS has very bad customer service, in my opinion.

Original review: May 29, 2008

Numerous times over the course of the past year, I have contacted AHS to repair items that appear to be covered by my Home Warranty Contract. These included my hot water heater and my air conditioner. The contract and website say my plan covers all repairs and breakdowns. However, each time that I make a call (I am charged $55 per service call), they have some way to exclude my claim, whether calling it a maintenance issue (as opposed to repair) or finding some other excuse as to why they can't fix it, etc. They only pocket the $55 and leave me to deal with repairs on my own.

>$165 total costs of service calls >Possible water damage to my neighbor's home (Condensation from my air conditioner was dangerously close to leaking on the person below me - could total in the thousands of $$) >$275 AC repair fee which should have been covered by plan

Original review: May 26, 2008

We bought our home in 1998 in Tyler, TX and the buyers agent we used suggest we have American Home Shield to protect our interests. The first summer the AC stopped working. We called them after fighting on the phone with them for several days they sent someone out to look at it. Mind you, this was August in Texas. The serviceman hodge-podged the unit (which was 15 years old back together and it produced semi-cool air. It was a repeat performance of this scenario for the next 4 summers.

In 2003 our hot water heater broke and the house was full of natural gas fumes AFTER THE FLOOD. We called American Home Shield for service and they sent a plumber and authorized him to install a 20 GALLON TANK in a 3 bedroom 2 bath home for a family of 4. They were quibbling with him over a fee of $10. The plumber said he couldn't finish the job for what they were going to pay him and he was going to leave.

My husband asked for the plumbers cell phone and told American Home Shield that he was going to take his family, our pets and he was going to notify the neighbors that this house was going to blow. We were going to a motel, now. He told American Home Shield they could figure it all out with State Farm insurance AFTER the explosion as to who was at fault. We heard the plumbers phone ring as he was running to his truck. AHS authorized him to do the job right.

In 2004 AHS finally replaced the old AC after years of fighting. To us it was a new unit. We dumped AHS last year. Our new AC failed last week and our new AC, installed in 2004 by AHS was built in 1998. I wondered, at the time, why it didn't come in a box and am wondering now if it wasn't a stolen unit. The a-coil AHS had installed didn't match our system nor did they clean out any of the lines they should have. None of the work they authorized was done according to code. Now, $5000 later we have the new system they should have paid for. Are we angry, no. We are livid. We paid for NOTHING for 7 years and they were happy to take our money.

Economic damages: We just paid $4500 for a new AC and furnace that AHS should have replaced while we were under their coverage. They did not do their work according to code and, truthfully, our house could have burned SEVERAL times because of this. Even the people who put our new system in last week say AHS forces contractors to do shoddy work. I want ALL of the money I have paid over the years to these people back.

Original review: May 24, 2008

The hot water heater was identified during a home inspection as about to fail. The sellers called AHS, which sent out a contractor, to replace the water heater. The contractor stated on the workorder that he crawled under the house, looked all around the water heater and did not find any leak. The water heater was good in his opinion and did not warrant replacement and charged the sellers the $55 service fee.

Three days after I moved into the home, sure enough the water heater started to leak. I called AHS and they sent out another plumber. I presented the contractor with everything I knew about this water heater and that Drain Masters had been out to this address about the same problem. The young man called the authorization department and relayed all the information. Then I was told that because of the identification of the possible failure on the home inspection this was a pre-existing condition and was not covered. BUT! For $750, AHS would replace the water heater for me.

I just said no thank you because this wasn't the first water heater I ever changed in my life. The young plumber asked for the $55 service fee and I said no. He asked me to sign the workorder and I said I was under no legal obiligation to sign the paper. That was then I presented my credentials as a senior mechanical designer and commissioning specialist. I asked the gentleman from the authorization department if they got bonuses for the most claims not fulfilled.

I believe this division of Service Master is setup to defraud consumers especially young and elderly home owners. I tried reaching the authorization department to protest the decision but when I called I was told no one was in. I asked for a supervisor and they would not take my call.

Original review: May 24, 2008

We called American Home Shield to report the A/C not working. They said Denny's A/C would be out to fix it. We finally got an appointment for 8-12 Tuesday morning. I was in a meeting about 8:10 when a strange number called my cell phone. (I had given them my son's cell phone to call because I would be at work) I called my son after the meeting when I heard the voicemail. My son called the technician several times and left voice mails. Finally, around 11 am my son reached the technician. He said he wasn't in the area anymore. Why didn't he answer before or listen to the many voicemails. My son asked why he didn't show up. He said he called and nobody answered so he didn't show. He didn't knock on the door or ring the bell. Nothing.

So we called AHS again and tell them we would like someone with better customer service. They assign Quantum Air. They called within the prescribed 24 hours and made an appointment for Friday between 2 and 5. Did I mention this is in San Antonio, Texas at the END OF MAY? The technician from Quantum shows up just before 5pm. Yes, he used the old, it's not covered due to lack of maintenance then he went up into the attic because the ductwork was also on the work order. He said, Yes, there's a tear in the ductwork. It's 5 o'clock. I've got lots of places to go so we'll call you next Tuesday to MAKE another appointment. We have clocks in the house. We don't need someone to charge $55.00 to give us the time and tell us there is a problem with the ductwork. We called it in. We KNEW there was a problem. I wish I had seen this forum before I signed up. Beware!

The technician wants $500 to CLEAN the a/c. We're looking elsewhere and burning up in the meantime.

Original review: May 23, 2008

I have had problems with my air Conditioning duct since last year I called them in Sept 2007 after couple of visits they found the leak in duct in the main duct and claimed that it was not proper and according to code and put duct tape to stop the leak. The problem has persisted and I had to call them numerous time and finally some found the leak but reported that it was by some body stepped on it.

The duct is in crawl space and toy can hardly sit. The American home sheild claims that this is the opinion of two technicians and wont cover it. I agree with the paeople that this company is not for us and I am going to file complaints with Dept Of Insurance in California and may file A complaints in Small claims court to recover my costs to replace the ducts.

Original review: May 23, 2008

I have a leak in the indoor furnace - there is water underneath it and the carpeting is being soaked. I called AHS last night at 10:30 and spoke to John for a good 30 mins trying to explain what was going on and trying to get some help. At the end of the 30 mins, I was told that a repairman would be out at the house this morning PRIOR to 10 am. I was also told to call back if no one came. I called back at 10:35 am and found out I'm not even scheduled yet. I guess there's NO telling when I'll have a repairman here. I'm very unhappy with the service - they don't give a hoot about helping you out. I certainly will NOT renew with them or recommend them to anyone else.

First I was lied to when they said someone wold be here NOW and secondly when I called back, the 'lady' I spoke to seemed to be high on something as she just didn't get the importance of getting someone out here to fix this problem. I have to sit here and wait fro a phone call to schedule the repair - and God only knows when someone will come out and fix the problem for us. Too bad they don't cover the carpeting which I'll be lucky to save but will most likely have to replace. I am totally upset with AHS.

Carpeting is ruined. Water is seeping under it and it's a mess.

Original review: May 22, 2008

We had leaks in our pipes under the house--40 year old galvanized pipes rotting away. American Home Shield sent out one company. He crawled under the house, found a wet pipe (a very slow leak through corrosion) and told AHS there was no leak. They sent out another person from the same company the next day. This time the leaking spot was dry, so he again reported no leak. I protested that it was leaking the day before, but he said it had to be leaking when he inspected it. He did not collect his $55, which was nice.

I called AHS again, and they sent out a second company. The day before Mike arrived, I crawled under the house myself and cleaned off the corrosion with a wire brush. I then has some nice leaks, one of which I had to seal with a clamp. When the second company arrived, of course they found leaks, and more areas of corrosion. They also found severe corrosion on our water heater connections, which had been improperly installed by a previous AHS contractor 10-15 years earlier. Mike fought with AHS to get us a new water heater and replacement of a lot of the worst of the corroded pipe under our house.

From this experience, I learned how AHS works with its contractors. The work done on our house would have cost me about $1600. The contractor was paid $55 plus $208 for the work AND materials. The water heater alone cost him ~$350. So that company lost a lot of money on this call, but was honest enough to do the job anyway. And Mike essentially worked for nothing on the call, since the workers get a cut of the profit on each call. The first company knew they would lose money, so they lied to get out of doing the job. AHS has has a great scam with their home warranty coverage. Service companies don't want to get stuck with low contract fees for these big jobs, and so do anything to get out of them. This means that coverage is often denied because the contractor has lied to AHS, to minimize or deny the problem or its cause. Dealing with AHS is extremely aggravating, not only because of them, but because they hire the dregs of the industry. Only the dregs are willing to take the pittance that AHS pays them. So we end up with incompetent or inexperienced workers most of the time.

Original review: May 18, 2008

American Home Shield seems like a good idea when you look at the brochure, but I wish I had stayed away. They have given me several reasons to quit using them, but the straw that broke the camel's back was when our ceiling fan stopped working. I filed a claim online by clicking fan needs repair and in the notes column put our ceiling fan no longer works and is smoking. AHS sent someone the next day, immediately (they were always prompt with their ineptitude), and that person got out the ladder, examined the fan, determined the motor had burned out, and said, That'll be $55. And I can't fix it. AHS says it isn't covered.

Why did they send you if the fan isn't covered? I asked. Why was there even a category called 'fan' if they don't repair fans? He shrugged, took my check, and left me with no fan and no money to fix the fan.

I called AHS, explained what happened, and said I was cancelling my service. They said, Don't go. We'll refund you the $55 service fee if you won't go. I said, Ok. That was April 2nd. Each week thereafter I called, begging them to give me the $55 back they promised. First they said it was processing and that would take 30 days.

In March, when that ominous 30 day period was up, I called again. The customer service rep said, Um -- the man who serviced your fan hasn't closed the account yet. You can't get your money until he does. One week later, no money. I call again. Oh -- it looks like we never processed the check. Woops. I'll put in an order to get your refund started. I couldn't believe my ears. Started? I said. I'm going to have to go another 30 days without my money? Yes ma'am, they said. Sorry. But they weren't sorry. I'm still out my $55, not to mention what I've forked over to pay for AHS usually, and I still don't have a ceiling fan that works, and I live in Mississippi and it's HOT here.

Original review: May 18, 2008

On 5/8/08, my wife emailed AHS to report that our a/c was running but was only putting out warm air. She called again 5/9. AHS said the company we were to contact was Consolidated Mechanical. We called C.M. on the 9th and were informed that their weekend schedule was already full, but that a service technician would be at our home to inspect the a/c unit first thing Monday morning. No call, no show on Monday May 12. A technician came on Tuesday May 13 and made his initial assessment. He said he had to get approval for repairs. AHS approved the repairs on Wed. 5/14.

But since this initial contact was made, we have had four(4) separate appointments that the technician has failed to show or call to reschedule. Every time WE had to call the company to find out what was going on. On three(3) of these occasions during conversations with AHS I have asked if alternative contractors were available. Each and every time I was given the same company to fulfill my request. My wife was home all Saturday morning 5/17 waiting for a tech. She called 3 different times to AHS and was told each time that Consolidated Mechanical had a tech in the area and would be getting hold of her ASAP. On the third call she asked to speak herself to the C.M. tech. and was FINALLY told that our a/c would probably not be fixed on Saturday, but he would STILL tell his tech to come by to see if he could do something (of course - no call/no show).

It is now 7:15 A.M. Sunday morning, May 18th, and my air conditioner is STILL not working. The temperature will be 105 today in the Phoenix area - I wonder how hot my house is going to be...

I took 2 half days and one full day off of work to be available for a scheduled technician to come fix my a.c. and only one of these half days did anyone show up. My wife went and purchased 2 fans yesterday to help alleviate some of the heat. (AHS said they would reimburse us up to $60 for fans) We (myself, my wife, and our son) have to make arrangements today to get OUT of our house (even though my wife has reports she needs to get done today for her job) as the heat is making us nauseous. Fans just blow the hot air around, and it is too uncomfortable to stay here. Frustrations are running high in my house - just like the temperatures.

Original review: May 15, 2008

I have put in about 7 requests with AHS in the past 5 months and only one of them has been accepted. Every time 1 of their contractors comes out they have a lengthy reason why the problem is not covered but they sure charge yo the $60 service fee. The most frustrating one was when our 20 year old water heater leaked and AHS rejected the claim because the BK pluming ( one of their contractors) plumber had diagnosed the problem as caused by the water pressure fluctuations caused by City of Charlotte. To top it off BK plumbing quated a ridiculous price for the repair if we chose to hire them to replace the heater. We had a tenant staying in the house therefore the problem had to be resolved immediately.

Needless to say, we hired a different plumber to fix it for $900 the same day. The plumber we used that stated that the rejection reason sounded completely false to him and that the house had a water pressure regulator and that the water heater was 20 yrs old and had to be replace because of it's age. He said that most water heaters last only about 8-10 years. Afterwards I faxed a dispute claim with our plumber's diagnosis to the American Home Shield's Inspection Services. They called me back and asked a number of questions and said that they would refund me $500. When I asked why $500 and not the full $900, the AHS rep told me that that is how much it'd cost them to install a new water heater. Needless to say that I reminded them that if they had accepted the claim in the first place I wouldn't had had to pay the $900. But there was no reasoning with the American Homeshield rep. She told me that I should be happy to get the $500 and I said OK.

This conversation took place on 3/12/08 and AHS told me that it'd take up to a month to get my check via mail. After not receiving it by late April I call AHS back, and got kicked around from dept to dept, from one rep to another and findally AHS told me that the refund had not been closed out and that is why I hadn't gotten my check. Again multiple calls and transfers later, another AHS rep told me that the refund should be close out and I should get my check within 30 days. Still nothing in my mail box.

I just called them again on 5/15/08. American Home Shield, after typical multiple transfers again, I was told that the check hasn;t been sent out by their cash out dept yet, but that the rep will see if they can expedite it and if I don;t get it by 5/23/08, I should call them back. Here I am 2 fulls months later still hoping that they will send me the check. Maybe that's their startegy, relying on people getting frustrated and not having multiple hours to devote to calling AHS and following up. In addition to that I have had 6 plumbing problems rejected for bogus reasons and this company is terrible. I'd never recommend it and I'm not going to renew the contract. Watch out!

$900 plus a service fee of $60 for the rejection.

Original review: May 15, 2008

After being a loyal customer for 10yrs,at a cost of @ $5000, my central AC unit stopped heating.I called AHS,problem solved right? No as a matter of fact the technician that showed up was from ARS, which at the time did'nt mean anything to me. He said my heater relay was burned up,the contactor was burnt up,and my evaporator coils were clogged. He changed out the contactor but said he would have to get AHS to approve the remaining work.

Three days go by so I called ARS to see what was going on and I was told by the receptionist that my claim to AHS was denied. Wondering why the technician never called I got in touch with AHS to find out why. You guessed it I was told I had not kept up the maintenance on that unit( common cop out ). After talking to a supervisor I was told the same thing.

Now fast forward a few months. Anyone who has gone through a s.c. summer can tell you it's like hell on earth. So I decided I can't wait on these uncompassionate losers,and had a unit installed to the tune of over $5000. While getting the estimate I was told ARS(American Residential Services)is owned by my friends at AHS. Now the unit being 20yrs old I gave them a chance to make it right( buy me out of my contract and I would split the cost of a new unit),they said they can't do that.

I've been on this earth a while and I know people can do basically what they want to, within reason. But after all that while I'm typing this I get a call from AHS wanting me to renew my contract,talk about a slap in the face!Needless to say That won,t happen. I urge everyone who reads this to spread the word, let's put these people out of business, new home buyers don't fall for the home warranty rip off.

mental anguish,loss of trust in insurance companies,time spent trying to get someone qualified to hear my case, days with no heat,when ARS got done the AC did'nt work either,and the $5000 for the new unit

Original review: May 14, 2008

I've had a maintenance contract on this home since I bought it - over 10 years. A/C has been iffy, various parts replaced on two or three occasions (fan motor, condensate drain pump). Takes too long, parts never available, but additional services are always recommended at stiff prices. My most recent experience: duct work has leaks, and duct work is covered. Paid $55 for the service tech to tell me that the problem with the duct work is improper installation, which is not covered by AHS.

How am I, the consumer supposed to know that my duct work was improperly installed. AHS didn't inspect if before offering to cover it, but they have accepted the yearly fees. The ducts used to work fine, now they don't, but since it's an improper installation, I'm on my own to fix it. This company is a class action lawsuit waiting to happen. Think The Rainmaker, only this is not about health coverage. My advice to homebuyers, STAY AWAY from this company.

$4000 plus paid in premiums, pain in the butt to get repair work done, always weeks involved to get parts for commonly available items. Contractors consistently identify needs for services not covered by AHS. I have an estimate from a reputable company of $3400 to replace the ductwork.

Original review: May 9, 2008

I live in a suburb of Houston. I have had AHS coverage for several years. Thursday evening my central A/C broke down. I called AHS. They gave me the name of an A/C repair company that would call me on Friday. When I didn't receive a call, I called the company myself. They said they had no service order from AHS. I called AHS, and it took more than 20 minutes to get a custermer service rep. (It appears they give lower priority to calls about existing service orders.) AHS told me they dispatched my service order to a different company. They could not explain why I was initially given the wrong information.

When I contacted the new company, they told me they could not send anyone out until Monday. (Note that afternoon temperatures are in the 90s.) I called AHS again which required another long wait. When I complained about being without A/C through the weekend, the AHS agent told me they only have two providers in my area. AHS HAS CONTRACTS WITH ONLY TWO A/C REPAIR COMPANIES FOR MY PART OF HOUSTON WITH SEVERAL HUNDRED THOUSAND RESIDENTS.

AHS changed my service order to the other company (the one I was originally told). The repairman came out at Noon. He said he would need to replace the fan belt and moter in my condenser unit. Then he told me he could not get the parts until next Wednesday at the earliest. A WEEK TO REPAIR MY A/C. Then he offered me an alternative ... he could replace my A/C condenser today for $4000. So I called other A/C repair companies myself. I found several that could come out today and replace the fan belt and moter for less than $500.

So here are my compaints: 1. I pay $500 anually for a warranty with AHS. But now I learn they only have contracts with two A/C service providers for an area with several hundred thosand residents and homes. 2. Using my AHS warranty, it will take a week to get my A/C repaired when afternoon temperatures are in the 90s. 3. I called around and found multiple A/C repair companies who could fix my A/C (fan belt and moter) same day for less than $500. 4. Was the repairman sent by AHS honest? He said it would take a week to make the repair (because he would have to order parts) if I used the AHS warranty. But he could repair my A/C today if I would purchase a new condenser unit from his company for $4000.

Original review: May 9, 2008

I have been an American Home Sheild customer since July of 2000. I am in the military and had my home built in Sep 1998 and had to leave and was stationed in Korea and then San Antonio TX. My home is in the Dallas TX area but is being rented out. When I first got involved with American Home Sheild I thought it was a good idea. I didn't expect any problems because my house was new. But I had to rent it out so I wanted to make sure the rentors would be taken care of. For the first couple of years no problems. I paid my annual fee and everything was good. Then around 02 I would have to call a service tech and they would show up take their service fee which was $45.00 at the time and leave.

Well to make a long story short. From 02 to 08 there has not been anything that a service call to American Home Sheild was made for has been replace at the expense of AHS. I don't care if it is on their contract to replace with no cost to you they will have the service tech they send out write it up to where you have to incur all the cost to fix. They have not fixed anything with out me having to pay the cost to get it fixed. I personnally installed two garage doors at my house along with a friend of mine who is a carpenter and had the doors tested. One day the spring came loose and the door would come up half way and stop.

The lady renting the house called me and I told her to call AHS. The tech came out and did work on the doors that were not covered and wanted to charge $79.00 dollars. The first thing I asked the guy is what did you do for me to pay you. He named a list of stuff. I installed the doors in April of 07 no one lived in the house until Feb 08 so I could not understand what he had to do to the doors other than tighten the spring. I was told the doors needed regular maint. The wheels and brackets needed greasing and he went on and on. I told him there is no way this needed to be done because I personnally installed the doors myself.

I called AHS an was told he should not have done no work outside of what was contracted before calling AHS. I asked did he call before he did any work and was told no after they look at their logs. So I asked, well who authorized him to do the work? Would you believe I was told [they] did. After I finish blessing them I was told my wife did. I then informed them there is no a chance--my wife would not authorize anything without she and I discussing it. I was then told the tenant did. Me and the tenant got on a conference call with the company and it became my wife again.

We called AHS to complain and was told there is nothing they could do we need to work it out with the company. I took the time to write this to inform anyone that is looking for a company to insure the safety and upkeep of there home do to them having to be absent do not use this company. It is a rip off and there is nothing that could be done about it. Our government don't care because they are all about big business and the customers are the ones suffering. But for anyone that would like to band together and make a push to do something about this I would be the first to raise my hand. One person alone is not enough.

Original review: May 9, 2008

Well to make a long story short. From 02 to 08 there has not been anything that a service call to American Home Sheild was made for has been replace at the expense of AHS. I don't care if it is on their contract to replace with no cost to you they will have the service tech they send out write it up to where you have to incur all the cost to fix. They have not fixed anything with out me having to pay the cost to get it fixed. I personally installed two garage doors at my house along with a friend of mine who is a carpenter and had the doors tested. One day the spring came loose and the door would come up half way and stop. The lady renting the house called me and I told her to call AHS. The tech came out and did work on the doors that were not covered and wanted to charge $79.00 dollars.

I called AHS an was told he should not have done no work outside of what was contracted before calling AHS. I asked did he call you before he did any work and was told no after they look at their logs. So I asked, well who authorized him to do the work? Would you believe I was told you did. After I finish blessing them I was told my wife did. I then informed them there is no a chance my wife would not authorize anything without she and I discussing it. I was then told the tenant did. Me and the tenant got on a conference call with the company and it became my wife again.

Original review: May 8, 2008

I bought this wareranty on the advice of my boss. A few days after getting it, my washing machine went down. i contacted AHS, and they contacted someone to come anr take care of it. That is where thios comedy of errors began.

The first company - Aardvard Appliance Repair - was as rude as possible. They are suppost to call to make an appointment. Well, he said, i am in the neighborhood, so i will be right over. I told him that my wife and I were at work, but he was insistant trhat he come now - to make it easy on us. I tried to schedual an appt, and he got nasty. SO, I canned AHS, and had them remove this person from the call.

The next company, ISC Appliance, did make the appointment, and they informed me they were sending their best tech - someone who basically serviced nothing but Maytag. He came, and after 5 minutes of looking at it, informed my wife that he was not capable of fixing it, it was 'too technical' for him. He collected his fee, and left.

So, now I call AHS, and make another appointment. They call Sears, and schedual someone to come out. He comes, and tells me that because someone had already looked at it, he would not service the machine. Now I am stuck with AHS telling me they are waiting for Sears to give them the diagnosis, Sears telling me they cannot give a diagnosis, because thel will not look at the machine, and AHS Customer Service basically temming me that it is too bad, i jsut ahve to rearrange my li9ve to accomodate them. They informed me that i will have to take a day off of work to have ISC come and pit the lid bacl on the machine, then another day off to have someone come and perform a diagnosis to determine what is wrong - then ANOTHER day to have someone come and try to repair it. For all of the work I am losing, I could ahve BOUGHT a new machine.

These people seem to ahve no concern with actually honoring what they are selling you. Pay your premiums, pay the service fee, and hope you get what you pay for.

Original review: May 8, 2008

We have paid our insurance for 6 years knowing that we would need a new AC unit soon. The company we wanted to do it is allowed only in Polk county. The Company that came was good - here when he said, but AHS would only pay for the motor - not a whole new unit. The unit is 16 yrs old - in Florida so we needed a whole replacement. My husband is disabled and undergoing radiation treatments and needs the AC to work. So now we're out $2600.00 - and they still don't get it. They have 48 hours and they use that time to find the cheapest materials. Don't ever use American Home Shield !

We're out $2600.00 - had no AC for 48 hours in Florida where the temp was 93 and my husband is disabled and going through radiation

Original review: May 5, 2008

I had a hot water tank that was rusted from the inside and the water started coming out brown. Called AHS they sent out a plumber who was there less than 10 minutes, took my $55 service fee only to be told that it's not an item covered under the warranty. I had to then go out and purchase a brand new h/w tank at my expense.

All I could say is why bother to get a home warranty if they won't cover items-I consider this to be a health hazard if they water is coming out brown due to rust on the inside. I will not be renewing my contract because AHS does not like to fix anything worth fixing.

$690 to buy and install new water tank.

Original review: May 3, 2008

I had a broken dishwasher. I requested service in December 2007. A technician came out and told me he had to order a part. After dozens of calls, I was told the part had to be special ordered. After dozens more calls, I was told they would come out to repair the dishwasher.

It is now May 3, 2008 and I have yet to receive a call from anyone to come out to repair the dishwasher. I have called them on a weekly basis, each time the customer service representative promises that someone will call me the next day to schedule the repair. I finally cancelled my contract. AMERICAN HOME SHIELD IS A WASTE OF MONEY.

I have paid for the contract from December 2007 to May 2008 and I paid for the service call.

Original review: May 2, 2008

Air conditioner quit working. Called AHS and they responed promptly. Service tech they sent was a joke and an *******. Stated the problem was improper installation of the unit (return unit should be in the ceiling and not on the floor) and suggested I let him quote that repair.

I contacted a real repair company on my own upon the denial. They stated I had some restriction in my lines. Vacumed and blew the lines out. Put 3 lbs of freon in. Works fine now. Cost me $210.00. The AHS tech did not cash the $55.00 check in time. I got to stop payment. Can anyone say Class Action?

Original review: May 2, 2008

Our water heater broke and flooded our home with water. It had been installed 10 years ago without a safety drain pan. I tried to shut the water off at the tank, but the spigot had corroded, therefore allowing water to continue to gush into and through the tank and into our home. I had to shut down the water to the entire house at the street to stop the flooding. I called American Home Shield (AHS) and filed a claim. This was on a Saturday morning. Their contracted plumbers, J & K Plumbing of McKinney, Texas, did not come out to assess the situation until the following Tuesday afternoon. By then, I had drained the tank and moved it aside so that I could stop off the water inflow pipe, which enabled me to turn the water back on to provide water to the house.

When the plumbers arrived, they immediately collected their $55 service fee, then they informed me that they would not be able to do repairs or replacement because I had moved the appliance from its original spot. They informed me that AHS had denied the claim because they could not verify that the appliance had broken spontaneously. I could have, they insisted, broken the appliance myself when I moved or tried to repair it. I pointed out that my home had been flooded and that I would have no reason to move the water heater unless it was already broken.

AHS never paid on the claim. I was forced to purchase and install a heater on my own. AHS is a RIP OFF. I highly recommend consumers to AVOID AHS,

American Home Shield Company Information