4.2/5 (11175 ratings)
Author picture
Written by Kathryn Parkman
Edited by Jon Bortin

About American Home Shield

American Home Shield is a home warranty company with over 1.8 million customers. It provides home service contracts that cover major home systems and appliances and offers additional protection for electronics and select maintenance services. The company has access to a network of over 17,000 licensed contractors and has paid out over $2 billion in claims over the past five years.

Pros

• 30-day workmanship guarantee
    • Flexible payment options
    • Does not require maintenance records

Cons

• Not available in Alaska
    • Some customer service complaints

Bottom Line

American Home Shield offers three warranty plans to cover systems and appliances, regardless of age. AHS provides additional coverage for electronics, pools or spas, and roof leak repairs.

American Home Shield Reviews

Over 50k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Shield?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Shield?

Original review: May 5, 2008

I had a hot water tank that was rusted from the inside and the water started coming out brown. Called AHS they sent out a plumber who was there less than 10 minutes, took my $55 service fee only to be told that it's not an item covered under the warranty. I had to then go out and purchase a brand new h/w tank at my expense.

All I could say is why bother to get a home warranty if they won't cover items-I consider this to be a health hazard if they water is coming out brown due to rust on the inside. I will not be renewing my contract because AHS does not like to fix anything worth fixing.

$690 to buy and install new water tank.

Original review: May 3, 2008

I had a broken dishwasher. I requested service in December 2007. A technician came out and told me he had to order a part. After dozens of calls, I was told the part had to be special ordered. After dozens more calls, I was told they would come out to repair the dishwasher.

It is now May 3, 2008 and I have yet to receive a call from anyone to come out to repair the dishwasher. I have called them on a weekly basis, each time the customer service representative promises that someone will call me the next day to schedule the repair. I finally cancelled my contract. AMERICAN HOME SHIELD IS A WASTE OF MONEY.

I have paid for the contract from December 2007 to May 2008 and I paid for the service call.

Original review: May 2, 2008

Air conditioner quit working. Called AHS and they responed promptly. Service tech they sent was a joke and an *******. Stated the problem was improper installation of the unit (return unit should be in the ceiling and not on the floor) and suggested I let him quote that repair.

I contacted a real repair company on my own upon the denial. They stated I had some restriction in my lines. Vacumed and blew the lines out. Put 3 lbs of freon in. Works fine now. Cost me $210.00. The AHS tech did not cash the $55.00 check in time. I got to stop payment. Can anyone say Class Action?

Original review: May 2, 2008

Our water heater broke and flooded our home with water. It had been installed 10 years ago without a safety drain pan. I tried to shut the water off at the tank, but the spigot had corroded, therefore allowing water to continue to gush into and through the tank and into our home. I had to shut down the water to the entire house at the street to stop the flooding. I called American Home Shield (AHS) and filed a claim. This was on a Saturday morning. Their contracted plumbers, J & K Plumbing of McKinney, Texas, did not come out to assess the situation until the following Tuesday afternoon. By then, I had drained the tank and moved it aside so that I could stop off the water inflow pipe, which enabled me to turn the water back on to provide water to the house.

When the plumbers arrived, they immediately collected their $55 service fee, then they informed me that they would not be able to do repairs or replacement because I had moved the appliance from its original spot. They informed me that AHS had denied the claim because they could not verify that the appliance had broken spontaneously. I could have, they insisted, broken the appliance myself when I moved or tried to repair it. I pointed out that my home had been flooded and that I would have no reason to move the water heater unless it was already broken.

AHS never paid on the claim. I was forced to purchase and install a heater on my own. AHS is a RIP OFF. I highly recommend consumers to AVOID AHS,

Original review: May 1, 2008

I paid my first year of owning this house and called them to fix my jacuzzi. They came up with some ridiculous excuse and to this day it is still broken. Four hundred dollars unused and down the drain.

I still decided to pay for them again the second year of owning the house and I called them to fix my washing machine. The concluded that something must have come off my clothing....like a piece of string...and wrapped itself around the pump or caused a malfunction in the pump. They sat there and told me in my face that if the pump was broken they would fix or replace it. But since it will still work ( all it needs is repair) they will not touch it. They told me i would have to pay the contractor myself to repair it....costing hundreds of dollars. A complete waste of 800$ in the last two years. They will find any excuse not to service you once they suck you in. STAY AWAY~~!!!!!!

Original review: May 1, 2008

We have paid for American Home Shield (AHS) insurance for years. We have never missed a payment. Our water heater burst on a Saturday. Water flooded the inside of our home, ruined our carpets. Called AHS that Saturday morning. They dispatched their stellar plumbing company, J & K Plumbing of McKinney, who informed us that they would not be able to come until the following Tuesday.

In the meantime, I was forced to shut the water down at the street to prevent further flooding. When I tried to shut the water down at the tank itself, the spigot wouldn't work because of corrosion. There was no way to shut down the water at the tank. I was then forced to cut the intake flow pipe and seal it off with a new spigot so that I could turn on the water to the house so that we could at least have running water until the heater was repaired or replaced.

When J & K Plumbing arrived and saw that I had moved the water heater from the closet to get to the spigot, they phone in to AHS who promptly refused to honor the claim because I had tampered with the appliance before the technician could make his asessment. American Home Shield is a RIP OFF. BUYER BEWARE. Needless to say, we cancelled our policy with this company.

We had to purchase and install our own water heater. AHS never paid a penny towwards this expense. If we had honored their policy to not touch the appliance, we would have either had to go several days without water, or incur further damage to our home.

Original review: April 28, 2008

We bought this house in November of 2006. Recently our 1996 Heil Heat Pump broke beyond repair. It is 14 years old. We called for a claim to repair and was denied several times. Two companies that work for American Home Shield told them that our HVAC unit was too small for our house. Our house measures 2300 square feet. We hired an independant HVAC company. They measured the heating area to be 1245 square feet and claim that it was properly sized. That area is what the heating unit is used for. We faxed this report signed by the independant A&S HVAC company and was once again denied.

Original review: April 27, 2008

We bought this house in November of 2006. Recently our 1996 Heil Heat Pump broke beyond repair. It is 14 years old. We called for a claim to repair and was denied several times. Two companies that work for American Home Shield told them that our HVAC unit was too small for our house. Our house measures 2300 square feet. We hired an independant HVAC company, A&S located at 304 Smith Road Bath, PA . They measured the heating area to be 1245 square feet and claim that it was properly sized. That area is what the heating unit is used for. We faxed this report signed by the independant A&S HVAC company and was once again denied.

We are seniors and depend on the system working properly and cannot afford to pay the thousands they are asking to put a completely new unit in. The heat and air conditioner are connected and can't bare to go through a summer without this necessity. Any help on your part will be sincerely appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Original review: April 27, 2008

On Wednesday April 23rd, I sent an e-mail to American Home Shield requesting service on my central air conditioning system. At 3:17 p.m. two young men appeared said it was the fan on the condenser and left to return the next day. My husband received a phone call from Mike who said the part was going on the truck first thing in the morning to be dispatched to our residence. At 4:00 p.m. on Friday 25 April Mike appeared with the fan, installed it and it did not function. He changed out the breaker switch. No deal! It did not function. At 5:00 p.m. he threw up his hands and said he didn't know what was wrong with it but he would get with his son and work out something? At 7:01 p.m. we received a call from Gary Grimes and he said the air conditioner could not be fixed. AMerican Home Shield was told by Mr. Grimes, that he would call in the info by 8:30 a.m. yesterday 26 April 2008.

According to American Home Shield, they have not as yet 27 April 12:30 p.m. received this call. In the mean time, we have called repeatedly to both Mr. Grimes and American Home Shield to no avail. We have had this service for over 10 years and I like so many other pay $56.00 per month for this service. When I asked American Home Shield why they would send someone from so far out, I was told they can send anyone they wish. Here is the main problem> We have been without Air Conditioning in our home since Thursday 24 April. It is now 3 days later and nothing!

My son and I both have bronchicial asthma for which we need the air to breathe. Who will pay for emergency room service for either of us if we need it because of the lack of interest from the companies involved? Why in the world would any home warranty company send out people who do not work past 5:00 on Friday and not return til 8:30 Monday a.m.? Now that I have not gotten the service and they have failed to call back into American Home Shield I do not know what my alternative should be. I have to wait for authorization from this Air Conditioning company but I sure don't want their service. If I go ouside the network of American Home Shield I will loose any compensation they deem applicable. These are two very sorry companies as far as I am concerned.

Original review: April 25, 2008

I can not believe all the issues with AHS as we had them for 10 years before we moved. I never had one problem with them. I don't know if it is the same any longer but if they can't fix it then they will replace it. If you want something else you have to pay the difference. Is it not like that any longer?

While we had the insurance we had many things over the years that could not be fixed either because they do not make the part or it was unfixable. Upon that we had gotten a new garage door opener which would of cost us over 500.00. We had gotten a new washer machine, a new dishwasher and also a new central air. I moved and was going to get AHS now I don't think I will.

Original review: April 24, 2008

called for service; service denies repair reason garage door opener installed incorrectly. Garage door has worked regularly for five years. Manual entry caused breakage. Repair rquires new motor Home Warranty doesn't want to pay.

now i have to go pay $400 to have it replaced. Insurance is useless.

Original review: April 24, 2008

I have done business with AHS for over 24 years. I have had heating and air conditioning issues, plumbing problems, hot water heater problems, etc. Each time, AHS addressed the problem in a timely fashion. On one occasion, the item could not be repaired because a part was not covered due to a recall. Overall, my experience with this company has been so good that I have given 1 year coverage to my children when they bought their homes. Nothing is perfect, but AHS has been a real asset for us.

`

Original review: April 22, 2008

Typical, we contract with an organization to provide a service to protect the consumer against a large repair bill. We pay our hard earned dollars and in return I want peace of mind when we have a failure of a covered item in our home. In March we logged a service request due to a leaking booster pump which is covered by our policy. When the contractor showed up, he was unable to fix the leak and deemed the installation of an inline chlorinator as the culprit. This invalidated the warranty coverage. Instead he presented me with a bid to fix the pump for $544. Its been a 3 weeks and the pump still leaks. IF they are going to take my money at least honor your commitment!

Not only am I out the cost of replacing the pump which I thought was covered I am still on the hook for the service charge. What a racket!

Original review: April 22, 2008

On Saturday February 23, 2008 I placed a service call for my furnace, specifying that it was not operating, heard water running, smelled gas. Subsequently, your service company Fidalgo did not respond until Tuesday, February 26th, at which time I was out of town and had shut my furnace off. By taking this precautionary measure I probably saved my house from burning down or possibly blowing up the whole neighborhood, due to slow response time. On my last service call using their service, approximately 5 years ago, in the middle of a heat wave in the summer my air conditioner was not working. Fidalgo Company came at that time and didnt really know what was wrong with the unit after making us wait at least 5 days. He claimed he repaired it and it broke again. Fidalgo came again and said he had to order a part and I was without air conditioning for about a month in the middle of a heat wave. Upon returning home I called Fidalgo Heating and scheduled an appointment for Thursday March 6th, 2008. The owner Mr. Fidalgo came and explained to him that it may be the thermostat and he went to the basement and opened the furnace, without removing the motor , informed me that the motor was gone and that it was due to abuse/poor maintenance/dirty and that the warranty would not cover it. He told me that he didnt have time to service the unit or repair it as he had to leave his schedule open for AHS service calls. I was irate, paid him his $55.00 and sent him on his way.

The office then left a message on my voicemail stating that the unit was in disrepair due to my neglect and that it would not be covered. I would say my customer experience has not been stellar. I believe Fidalgo was unprofessional and he represents the company. When I requested another company for a second opinion, did not have one and couldnt provide one. In the future I would recommend that when they refuse to cover a unit under service warranty, deliver the message by speaking directly with the customer, not leaving a voicemail message. I spoke with disputes/customer service division the next business day and was told to have another insured company come and review the furnace situation, which I immediately did.

I called Frasair Company who is well known in my area and had installed this unit 16 years ago in my new home. They stated that the motor burned out due to normal use and age. They cannot diagnosis a motor failure without removing the motor. I have enclosed the bill for review and expect to be reimbursed for this charge. They gladly have taken my money for warranty contract through American Home Mortgage for the last 10 plus years in my new home. I havent used service for at least 5 years. I do not feel I have been properly serviced for this furnace issue.

What kind of service/repair company doesnt have an address on their invoice ? In my 30 years as a homeowner I have never had service done in my house and been given a receipt with no address on the bill. If we cannot come to a mutually agreeable conclusion on this issue --- I expect to be compensated for the repair of my furnace. I will be forced to go the Consumer Affairs Department in all states involved in this problem. I will make a formal complaint to my Mortgage Company, Wells Fargo as well as take this to small claims court. I have recommend dozens of family and friends which I cannot do in good conscience in the future. In fact, if I do not get compensated I will let them know of my experience and let them make their own conclusions.

We had Frasair repair the furnace as instructed by AHS and submitted the bill for $962.00. The sent a letter refusing to pay the bill on April 14th from Vicky Fergson. Frasir who installed the unit said the unit had been maintained and it had failed due to normal use/wear & tear. The unit is 16 years old.

Original review: April 21, 2008

I have had American Home Shield for the past two years and I must say I have been very happy with the service each time I've had to deal with them. Granted, I've never had a problem that needed emergency service. Rather, each of my issues was something that caused an inconvenience but could wait a few days for resolution. The service people who came to my home were pleasant and helpful and each issue was resolved on the first trip.

Original review: April 21, 2008

DO NOT USE AMERICAN HOME SHIELD! It is a scam! They will deny everything due to lack of maintenance. We live in a home with an air-conditioner that is less than five years old and is regularly maintained. Our compressor went out this past thursday and AHS sent out one of their vendors to diagnose the unit. The company refused to cover any repairs because they say our air-filters were dirty. They told me to call back on Monday morning and they may be able to get a second opinion.

After 3 days in Houston, without air condition i called on Monday and they said it would take another 48 hours to get a second opinion.AHS also told me that if the 2nd opinion was the same , we were not covered.We are fixing the unit ourselves and will be taking AHS to court for the repairs.

Original review: April 16, 2008

I made an request for service on my microwave, February 25, 2008. The service tech came out on February 27, 2008 from U.K.H. Inc. DBA California Appliance, 27022 Corral Hollow Road, Tracy, CA 95377. I was charged a $55.00 fee. The receipt said Need Mag I was told that there was a manufacture's warranty on the microwave, so AHS could not repair the microwave. AHS also sent me a letter to this effect, dated Feb. 28, 2008. I called Sear's, where I purchased the microwave. I was told that the warranty was only for one year. The microwave is now two years old. I called AHS office and explained this fact. Since then I've spoken to several of AHS representatives. I was asked if I wanted to replace the microwave or have it repaired. I asked that it be repaired. Then, I got a call asking me to measure the inside and asking about specific features. I told them I felt that was the tech person's job.

On March 5, 2008 UKH was to come, but no one showed up or called. I called AHS and spoke with Shelly on March 5, 2008. She assured she would take care of things. Shelly stated that AHS would give $207.25 towards a new microwave. I told her I wanted it repaired, because it is only two years old. The part was to be ordered and would arrive in approximately ten working days. Today is April 16, and I am still without a microwave. On March 23, 2008 I spoke with Faye from AHS. Again I was asked the same questions about repairs or replacement. Again I was told the part would be ordered. I have not heard from anyone, and I am still without a microwave.

The damage is that each month AHS automatically deducts a payment for a service I have not and I am not receiving. This is fraud. I have been inconvienced for approximately two months because of AHS incompetent service. I am appalled at such incompetence.

Original review: April 15, 2008

I called AHS and they said we need to place another request. So we do, pay the Appliance Co. $55 service fee. The companies AHS contracts are under par. Have no education, cant speak proper language. Looks like none of them even have a diploma in their profession. The technician cant even pull out the frame to see what is going on. He wants to leave as he says it is not installed properly,. We help him open the frame. In couple of seconds he says cant reach Compressor, it is dirty. We clean our system every 3 months. So how come he cant reach the compressor. He calls the Authorization Dept. Says well,i cant reach the compressor as if it is in the Black Hole. The Verdict: DENIED, Case closed,. I have been on the phone with them and arguing but they dont care.

PLEASE IF THE CONSUMER HAS ANY SENSE., DO NOT BUY AMERICAN HOME SHIELD WARRANTY. THEY ARE JUST THERE TO CHEAT YOU OUT OF YOUR SERVICE FEE AND YOU END UP HIRING OUTSIDE COMPANIES TO GET THE ISSUES RESOLVED. EACH AND EVERY REQUEST DENIED ON THE BASIS OF LACK OF MAINTENANCE. WORST COMPANY IN USA. THEY NEED TO SHUT DOWN. SHAME ON THEM AND THE EMPLOYEES THEY HAVE HIRED.

Original review: April 15, 2008

Problem with Sub Zero: We had cooling problem with our refrigerator 6 months ago. We called AHS and had a contractor come in. Took him 4 hours to find the problem and his solution just add Freon. He left and again the same issue. I called AHS and they said we need to place another request. So we do, pay the Appliance Co. $55 service fee. The companies AHS contracts are under par. Have no education, cant speak proper language. Looks like none of them even have a diploma in their profession. The technician cant even pull out the frame to see what is going on. He wants to leave as he says it is not installed properly. We help him open the frame. In couple of seconds he says cant reach Compressor, it is dirty. We clean our system every 3 months. So how come he cant reach the compressor. He calls the Authorization Dept. Says well,i cant reach the compressor as if it is in the Black Hole. The Verdict: DENIED, Case closed,. I have been on the phone with them and arguing but they dont care.

Original review: April 14, 2008

March 2008 AHS has been great about repairing my air conditioner and fixing my ceiling fans. However, when I called about having mold in my dishwasher, it took a more than week for them to get a repair tech to my house. I explained that I first saw mold approximately three weeks ago, and I cleaned it out with bleach. A week later the mold came back, so I cleaned it out again. The tech from Arrow Appliance (Phoenix) spent a whole 5 minutes in my house and said he knew the problem before he even showed up. He said it wasnt installed properly; there was not air gap in the hose and my garbage disposal was backing up into my dishwasher. He said my dishwasher was not repairable; it was unsanitary and needed to be replaced. More than a week later, after numerous phone calls (no one ever answered, we had to leave voicemails), we were told that our claim had been denied due to the diagnosis that the dishwasher wasnt installed properly. I asked why the repairman wouldnt have fixed the problem if all it required was to fix the hose. I asked What did I get for my $55.00? Monica said that the $55.00 charge was for a worker to come out and give a diagnosis, not to repair or fix the problem, and the diagnosis was that it was installed improperly.

We told AHS that we didnt have problems until after our garbage disposal was fixed (by AHS) so they sent out the owner of the company who had replaced the disposal. This gentleman said (of course) that it was installed properly, that he thought the hose had just fallen down from continued use of the dishwasher. I told Monica that I would consider that to be normal wear and tear and she said she could understand why I was confused. Then, she said that they dont know why my dishwasher has mold, but Andy from Arrow Appliance said that he wont stand by his initial diagnosis, and now says that maybe it was installed properly and it just fell down during the three years of use. When I asked Monica why the mold is in my dishwasher if its not because its installed properly, she said she didnt know, that I would need to replace it. I said I dont want to replace the dishwasher and have the same problem occur again. According to her earlier comment, the $55.00 fee was for a diagnosis, but they still couldnt tell me why my dishwasher has mold. If I paid for a diagnosis, then I want one!

Monica said the diagnosis is that the dishwasher has mold. I said that the mold is a symptom; the diagnosis would be the reason why the mold is growing there to begin with. She said that AHS definition of a diagnosis was that my dishwasher has mold. Ive tracked where each time weve called AHS, its taken the rep or supervisor 5 or 6 working days to respond to our calls. Each time they did call back, they would call our home number, even though we repeatedly asked them to call our cell number. We are two hours behind, and when we get the messages at home the office is already closed. When we call back the next day, we get a voicemail and the cycle starts again. I have no choice at this point but to assume they are calling my home number because they really dont want to talk to us.

I feel that my monthly premiums have been a total waste, as well as the $55.00 charge that has resulted in absolutely no service to date.

Original review: April 10, 2008

I have been waiting for my fridge to be repaired for 6 weeks. The policy calls for repair or replace and now they want me to wait another 3 weeks to repair it and the tec has never done a system like this before

no fridge

Original review: April 8, 2008

our refrigirator was acting up and food was beginning to go bad in the freezer so my wife called american home shield they sent out a service tech. and he told us the compressor was bad and it would approx. 400$ to replace. at that time we called american home shield back and they said they wasnted a second opinion so they sent another tech out from a different co. he told my wife that he would have the problem fixed in 10 minutes before he even looked at the refro. then he said that it was a dirty compressor and that it was not covered that we would have to pay 123$ more and american home shield agreed with out even seeing the report from the first tech.

It got so bad when i questioned him about this finding that he begin to advance at me and say did i question his integrity at this point i told him to leave or i would put him out and called the police. then when i called home shield back they continued to go over the same taught talking points but did not even care that all of our food in our freezer had gone bad.

all of our food went bad in our freezer and we don't know about the food in the frig. part but as it stands right now we have no sorce of cold food in our home thanks home shield.

Original review: April 7, 2008

April 6, 2008

I have a service contract with American Home Shield, a home warranty company for many years now. I wish to file a complaint about their fraudulent business practice. I have been paying all their premiums in a timely manner, like a good customer.

Recently, our refrigerator needed repairs. The contractor determined that the condenser needed to be replaced. The company denied service on the pretext that the refrigerator was not in the kitchen. The refrigerator is big and we kept it in the laundry room, right adjacent to the kitchen. In the past the same company has denied claim to repair our microwave, on the pretext that it was not built in and also denied repair on the airconditioner saying that it was not installed properly,even though we live in an area where the home inspection is very stringent and the air conditioner installation was per code and had passed the home inspection.

This company obviously looks for any flimsy reason to deny claim. It appears that there is a dollar amount above which the claim will be denied on one pretext or the other. The reasons for denial defy basic common sense and logic, but the company is allowed to get away with such crafty business practice, because these riders are built into the fine print of the contract. This business is nothing more than a cheap con job, duping millions of people into paying high premiums for dishonest service.

The company puts up a false facade of caring for the customer, sending prompt email reminders about contractor appointments, but denying later repairs. Of course, the contractor charges for the first visit out to identify the problem, so it is obviously in the interest of the company to ensure that he/she comes in to check the problem, so they can claim their service fee.

Original review: April 1, 2008

I have had two experiences with this company, One with my main property and most recently with a vacation property purchased 4 years ago. Both problems involved the air conditioner needing replacing and we had no problems with American Home Shield. We followed their procedures and the replacements were made. My daughter bought a 40 yr old condo 5 months ago and she had an American Home Shield warranty paid by the seller. Shortly after taking ownership she had to replace a washing machine, again no problem. I will use this company when I am ready to sell.

Original review: March 26, 2008

I have had AHS for 6 years and have had an air conditioner (central air), garbage disposal,shower faucet and a hot water tank replaced and it didn't cost anything over what the service fee was.

Original review: March 26, 2008

One of the rear burners on our drop-in electric range ceased to function. We called AHS to have a tech come to our home to repair it. The first tech spent hours diagnosing and replacing everything he could think of and called Whirlpool in his attempt to repair the problem, but he could not. After we informed AHS the range had not been repaired they tried to send him back, he stated we should get a 2nd opinion as there was nothing else he could do. Second company came out, saw who the first one was and stated that JR was the best tech in the area, if he couldn't fix it then he'd contact AHS and ask them to replace the range.

AHS didn't like that and send another tech, who couldn't repair it, then another company and two more techs. Finally after an extended conversation with a Supervisor at AHS they sent a rep from Sears (the 7th tech). He stated that he didn't know what was wrong and everything had already been replaced but he would call AHS and report the problem. He also stated that when he called tech assist they told him he could not state the stove was unrepairable.

Five minutes after he left Sears called to state that the range was operating within normal parameters even though it still shuts off after 5 minutes.

Original review: March 25, 2008

We called AHS 3/6/08 for an emergency repair in our electrical panel breakers. We were without running water and air conditioning. The service call never came and they gave us a schedule 4 days later.

We said we couldn't wait because we have a 11 years old kid who can't be 3 days without water. They advised us to find any electrical handyman in the area and they would pay that bill, so we did. On 3/7 we called to cancel the AHS appointment and asked for instructions for the reimbursement. They told me we needed to ask first for authorization and they never did pay the $140.

Four days later AHS sent an electrician. We told him we already canceled the job and he left.

On top of not paying us the $140 for the emergency repair, they charged us $55 for the handyman who came 3 days after we cancel the job and did nothing.

Original review: March 24, 2008

American Home Shield provides an appliance warranty program, guaranteed for customer satisfaction. We have paid our $550 annual premium faithfully for over 10 years. On Saturday, March 22, our water heater burst at apprx midnight. We tried to clean up, etc, contacted AHS at about 2 AM only to be told it would not be until Monday for their contractor to call us. I called back on Sunday morning to explain that our ceiling and walls had water pouring down, and that we could not wait until Monday. Well today is Monday. I would aggressively push for a class action suit and I am going to aggressively pursue this. I am a Realtor, and have always suggested this program. Not anymore.

My ceilings are sagging, my walls have to be replaced, after 4 1/2 days, taking off 2 days from work, I have had to make arrangements on my own and pay out of pocket to get my hot water heater replaced, and get water in my home. As a Realtor, I will no longer recommend this company. Their advertising is false and misleading.

Original review: March 24, 2008

In January I called for service on my washer and stove. Different technicians were sent for corresponding appliance. The techs for the stove were asking each other what it was as they did not recognize the late 40's early 50's piece. They spoke english with difficulty and left a work order that was not legible and stated prior to departing that a determination would arrive in writing. The determination was that they reported we had broken off what they referred to as a thermostat. It is actually a sensor on the rear burner. Sensors are not broken off and what we reported is that the rear burners do not lite at all and therefore leak gas.

Still leaking gas and by the time the determination arrived, the company told us it was too late to request a second opinion. I was told over the phone I had 3 days to request such and pay for it (no charge if it had been their determination) Their contract clearly states that SENSI burners will be replaced with standard (no sensors). I have been with AHS since 1999/2000

Original review: March 24, 2008

On December 26, 2007 I requested service for the repair of my oven. After I made a request for service call, American Home shield dispatched Appliance Thec Inc. I waited 2 days for a response but nothing seemed to be happening. I called AHS but to my surprise found out that this company apparently is not trained to work on this type of appliance. Then I was told that Sears had been dispatched to repair my oven. I received a phone call from a person with the name of Mike and he told me that a technician would be contacting me within the next 48 hours, but no call was received, and when I called Sears, I was told that the request had been cancelled but they didn't have a name for me as to who cancelled the call.

Then I went back to AHS and I once again was told that another company would be dispatched. Nothing happened and I did the same thing several times. The last time was on January 5, 2008 when I was told that I would be contacted the same day but nothing happened once again. After I sent a complaint to AHS I received a call from Rudy who told me and I am quoting, "This time they're not going to let this one fall through the cracks."

Then a company called Appliance Service Depot was dispatched. We made an appointment on January 12, 2008. The technician checked the oven and told me that a part was needed. After taking down the necessary information about replacing the bad part, he told me that he would check with AHS and order the part. About a week went by and again nothing happened. On Sunday, January 19, 2008, I received a call from the technician, asking me if I want to purchase the part or not. I said to him that he needs to check with AHS for that--not me. He rudely said that I don't have insurance and that I need to pay for the part. I advised him to call AHS. The following day I called AHS and spoke to Rudy and he told me that the part would be ordered and I would be contacted for the replacement. About a week later, the part arrived and the appointment was made for Wednesday January 30, 2008 to replace the part. The technician was late even thought I told him to make me his first job that day. He showed up at 11:00 AM in a bad mood and a sleepy face. He also looked like he was under the influence of alcohol. On top of that, he came with the wrong part, and angrily left when I asked him to leave.

After 3 months the repair has not been done and the oven still doesn't work. After all the time wasted in dealing with this I lost more than $500 in lost income and hours writing or talking on the phone.

American Home Shield Company Information