4.3/5 (11738 ratings)
Author picture
Written by Kathryn Parkman
Edited by Jon Bortin

About American Home Shield

American Home Shield is a home warranty company with over 1.8 million customers. It provides home service contracts that cover major home systems and appliances and offers additional protection for electronics and select maintenance services. The company has access to a network of over 17,000 licensed contractors and has paid out over $2 billion in claims over the past five years.

Pros

• 30-day workmanship guarantee
    • Flexible payment options
    • Does not require maintenance records

Cons

• Not available in Alaska
    • Some customer service complaints

Bottom Line

American Home Shield offers three warranty plans to cover systems and appliances, regardless of age. AHS provides additional coverage for electronics, pools or spas, and roof leak repairs.

American Home Shield Reviews

Over 50k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Shield?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Shield?

Original review: Feb. 8, 2008

I purchased a condo for my son, a student at college, that included a warranty from AMS. My first call, six months later, involving a water leak, was never returned. I called the company 24 hours later to be informed that they could not find a plumber in the area (10 miles from Charlotte NC), but they were actively looking. Eight hours later, no call, I called again with the same response. They would not accept a list of plumbers from me as they had to be on their approved list. Only after requesting my contract be canceled did they give me authorization to call a plumber.

I called a service person, had the leak fixed within the hour and the resulting charge was less than the co-pay AHS charges! Upon inquiring about their guaranteed response time, they offered that if I pay more money to classify my problem as an emergency they could find a plumber. In two days they never initiated a call to notify me of any status. I have found hundreds of complaints with the same story. They are a SCAM.

An expensive lesson learned. To add insult to injury, I received notice that my renewal was due a few weeks after the incident. I declined their offer!

Original review: Feb. 6, 2008

We called AHS after finding out our furnace was giving out high amounts of carbon monoxide. AHS called a provider who called us within 1 hour of our first call to AHS. The company came out to my house and stated I had a cracked housing on the furnace. At that time the company shut off my gas and unplugged all wires to the furnace leaving us with NO heat in sub zero weather. The service provider wrote up his work order had me sign it and collected his service fee. The next morning the service provided sent another person out to look at the furnace to see what I would need to replace it and get back to AHS. The service provider stated that I had a few options to choose from but only gave me a quote on one, which of course was there highest priced furnace.

The provider left my house and later that after noon we received a call stating that AHS would not pay for that furnace as they considered it an upgrade. AHS us they would only play $2953 as a cash out option. AHS never called us. We called back a few times that day, now this all started on Thursday, Friday evening we were still waiting for a call back, with no call back friday night, so saturday we called back they stated they were still waiting approvals. with no call on sunday from AHS. Monday we decided to call again to AHS. at that time the person answered said she understood we are without heat in subzero weather but they are waiting for answer from supervisors. Well after that call and much searching on the internet, I decided it was time to call a higher up person. I got hold of Carolyn, the CEO secretary, and she was great.. and a huge help. Learned a lot about how things work with AHS.

All said and done we have done with the cash out but the furnace cost us $5331 and ASH will cover $2953 of it. Now I do have to state this is an upgrade which AHS does not cover. But AHS also can't find anyone in my local area to put what they want in which is a builder's quality furnace. So what was turning out bad has worked out good and a huge lesson learned. Still waiting for the cash out, they say it takes 7 day from the time we fax a paid receipt for the furnace.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2008

Shortly after moving into my new home 2 years ago, my air conditioning on my heat pump went out. When I realized that AHS covered this item fully, I contacted them to have the air conditioning repaired. They sent out a series of 10 contractors to 'fix' the air conditioning. Literally - 10. None - I repeat NONE - of them have been able to get my air conditioning to work longer than 3 months. They have spent hundreds, if not thousands of dollars. At one point, due to their incompetency and that of their contractors (I filed a complaint about one of them on line with Angie's list, but AHS still sends them business - amazing), last summer for 2 LONG weeks in San Antonio Texas, I had absolutely no air conditioning. It was the most miserable 2 weeks of my life. Plus, I have 2 small children, one with asthma. Can you imagine? They paid for me to have 3 of those days in a hotel (a very cheap one) and that was all they did. Afterwards, the AC worked for another 3 months and went out again. I've called and their ridiculous customer service center will not transfer me to a supervisor, they just take messages. I called the corporate office and left messages for their Executive team but no one responds. I can easily say that this is the worst company I have ever done business with. At this point, all I have is a ton of receipts and no air conditioning.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2008

They could not fix the ceiling leak. When they were able to fix it, within weeks it started leaking again. AHS sent people to my home again and showed the pipe to me, which was put in last time. It was leaking, and they said it was my fault. Even though the guy who came to fix it told me quietly, it is not my fault. But the AHS people did not listen. Also, I complained to the CEO of the company in writing but got no response. In addition, they are charging me $95 per call while the rest are charging $55.

Too many of my work hours wasted not to mention my money and pain in dealing with them....

Original review: Feb. 1, 2008

My wife and I bought a home in Dec. '07 that came with a year of coverage by American Home Shield. We called for service on our central heat. We were told that the heating element had a sequencer that was out, and the evaporator coil was 35% restricted. Also the return air was undersized, and the ductwork in the attic was in the way of the service panel. American Home Shield denied service stating that all problems were due to improper install. I've worked in this trade most of my life and know that the sequencer and the dirty coil were due to normal wear and tear. The return air is undersized, and I can correct that myself. The furnace and ductwork are in the attic, and there is limited space there to work in. There is nowhere for the ductwork to be moved to. The service man that diagnosed the problem was probably 6'5 and 300 pounds. An average size man like myself has no problem getting around the ductwork.

When I called to dispute this with American Home Shield they said that they have to go by what the tech. said in his diagnosis, and that all problems are due to improper installation. I called the service company that diagnosed these problems, and they stated that the sequencer on the element and the dirty coil were normal wear and tear and that American Home Shield were notorious for making their own interpretation of diagnosis to fit their own needs, which is obviously denying claims for service. I would advise anyone looking for a home warranty service to carefully study the choices that are available, as I should have done.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2008

This is about the 20th time we've dealt with this company, but to no avail for reasons that are too many to mention. Bottom line is this, they cover items in AND out of the home when they feel like it, and not according to the contract. We have a problem that may be on the outside of the home that they won't cover. At one point they covered a pretty minor EXterior electrical problem we had with our home years ago, which naturally caused us to believe they covered the exterior regardless of what the contract states.

But when the plumbing on our home's exterior starts leaking, they say no. The plumber obviously told them how much it would cost after he called them soon after he received the service fee. The woman on the phone was very persistent on telling me they wouldn't pay for anything, which didn't surprise me one bit.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2008

My hot water heater has been providing inconsistent water temperature and rust-colored water. It is almost 18 years old. I called AHS and had a service call. The tech claimed it was only a faulty thermostat, but AHS would not cover it because they claimed it was not working due to insufficient maintenance. I called to appeal the decision TWICE. They could not care less. Are there ANY reputable home warranty companies out there?

Original review: Jan. 25, 2008

I purchased a house in early 2007, it came with an AHS warranty. In May I phoned and reported that the dishwasher was not washing plates/cups/etc. They eventually had a company come out. It is now Jan 2008 - 9months later and I'm still trying to get the dishwasher repaired under their warranty program! They've sent techs out from various companies over this time frame -- items replaced to date: pump, ball, both wash arms/wands, heating element.

I believe that I contracted meningitis because the dishwasher is not cleaning items properly. Additionally, I have had to take at least 4 vacation days off from work to be present for the tech to diagnose/repair the dishwasher. THIS IS UNBELIEVABLE! Final straw, the AHS reps would like to know why I don't hand wash everything until they get the dishwasher fixed? I was told that they must have a tech give them a mechanical fault and it must be replaced. Gosh, the tech working for another company now dictates to AHS! How does AHS stay in business?

Original review: Jan. 23, 2008

We bought the home warranty when we settled on our house, we noticed a leak in our ceiling, called AHS, and they sent out a plumber. The plumber alone was hard to set up appointments with, but when they finally came out three days after placing the call they determined it was a leak behind our faucet in our shower and tub. It would take a day to get the parts in, but it would be covered. Two days later we find out that no, it won't be covered because it needs an upgrade so now we are spending $355 on a faucet.

When they come to install it the work order is wrong and they forgot a part, so we could not use the shower but we could use the tub. My husband took a bath and 10 gallons of water came through my ceiling as it turns out the tub had damage no one told us about. AHS has paid for two $40 valves while we have paid $355 and are now looking at thousands for a new tub. We called to ask what exactly was covered, we are calm people, my husband was hung up on and when I called back I was snickered at. The supervisor I spoke with gave me attitude. They are the rudest people I have ever dealt with, I feel cheated and insulted. I would not recommend them at all. it would have been so much easier for us to call a plumber we trusted than to put up with their shenanigans, once you pay for the policy they do not care.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2008

Our AHS Contract of no value. After seven years of paying on this insurance policy, we tried to process a claim to replace an unrepairable dishwasher and it was denied. Three attempts were made to repair it, necessitating three service charges ($165 total) and time off work. Conclusion was well water caused build up and it would just continue to happen. Claim was denied and canceling the contract would incur additional charges - no refund.

No repair, no refund, no option to cancel. Out $375 annual contract, $165 in charges and one and a half days of work, not to mention six phone calls.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2008

I have used AHS services 3 times and the problem is still not corrected. I have been unable to get a qualified technician to come to the house and because I have had water backed up in my basement three times, without prompt remediation of my problem, there is damage to the flooring.

I have requested two times to have a different technician sent, but I was told that I would have to pay again. The technician incorrectly diagnoses the problem each time that he comes to visit. Additionally, this technician is very rude, creates a large mess that he refuses to clean up and refuses to interact with women.

When I asked to speak to a supervisor, each time I was told that no supervisor was available and someone would return my call. A supervisor never returned my call.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2008

I filed a AHS service request for a faulty bathroom exhaust fan that was out of service for a week. It stopped working suddenly. AHS sent a service technician who wanted to collect the service fee before he performed the job. I was suspicious, and I called AHS to find out what happens if the service technician couldn't do the job. The representative assured me that it was the procedure, and if the job is not performed properly and the issue is not addressed they will send another company to fix the problem--and that no service fee will be due for subsequent calls. So I paid the technician with a check for $55. Then he spent five minutes looking at it, said the motor needs to be replaced and will be back to replace it after getting an authorization from AHS. He did a passing comment that it needs to be cleaned once every 4 months or so. And I told him that I clean the dust off of it every couple of months. There is no maintenance that needs to be done on this fan (which is a Nutone exhaust fan according to the installation manual that is published on the web).

Then a few hours later I get a call from AHS stating that they were informed by the electrician that it was a maintenance issue. I was asking how it can be a maintenance issue when you cannot do any maintenance on the motor which is not functioning. They were giving their usual excuses. I demanded that I needed a second opinion and that I was not prepared to pay another service fee. Then as a result they 'denied' the service. After spending more time on the phone they said that they will send another vendor to look at it, and if the second opinion also determines it is a maintenance issue that I should pay the service fee again. The term 'maintenance' is subjective. There is no maintenance procedure in the manufacturer's manual itself. So what maintenance other than simple cleaning (external to the motor) are they talking about? Surely they can't be expecting me to open up the fan motor every few months and clean it, right? Then they would have another reason: Interference, and not normal wear and tear.

I have had enough of them I am going to cancel the membership. By the way, if anyone is interested I have all the conversations with them and contradicting statements of coverage policy on tape. And yes, I disclosed to them that I am recording the conversations. I've lost the cost of AHS membership, service fees, and emotional stress.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2008

On 1/11/08 the water heater started leaking. I called AHS; they sent out a techinician on 1/13/08. Technician said and wrote on estimate that the water heater needed to be replaced. AHS called me on 1/14/08 saying that there were an extra $800 work that needed to be done that was not covered by the policy. This would bring everything up to code. I thought that was kind of weird since the house is only 5 years new. I hired a different contractor out of my own money to look at the water heater because AHS would not send another plumber for a second opinion.

Ends up being that everything is up to code. After this finding, I complained to the plumber (Accurate Plumbing) to reduce their extra cost to $435. I told this to AHS, saying I didn't trust the current contractor, and they didn't care. Their customer service is so rude. I would not recommend AHS to anyone. Their cash-out option is ridiculous.....Almost a week later and the contractor won't start the work, and now I have to go out of pocket to get someone dependable to start any type of work.

Family has been without hot water for almost a week.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2008

My wife and I purchased this home last year in July. The AHS contract due to expire in February was included with the purchase. Basically my experience with AHS has been disappointing. Our stove has a computer controlled clock, timer and temperature control that started beeping intermittantly and losing what you had programmed into it. I requested service from AHS who sent a repairman out who basically recommended replacing a few parts. AHS calls me and announces that they are going to replace the entire stove and I will be responsible at my expense for disposal of the old one. I wondered who would pay to have the floor fixed if they damaged that while moving the old one out and the new one in. The unit they offered as a replacement was a much cheaper unit without the same features. I was told if I wanted a nicer unit I could pay the difference. I ordered the parts myself online and kept my 'defective' stove.

I am currently dealing with this approach to fix a heat pump that is in need of a few parts, mainly switches. After making the intial service call, a local company sent a technician who forced the unit to use it's auxilliary heat strips all the time, which made my electricity bill double, but provided heat. AHS claims that parts are not available and want to rip out that unit and replace it with a new one and I get to pay for a new pad under it, a work permit, a rain shield, and disposal of the old unit, all to the tune of over $800 dollars. After reading some of the experiences of other people, I imagined days without heat while they left a gaping hole in my house. I requested information on the replacement unit and they told me it could be one of three but they weren't sure, it was a 'package'. I told them I wanted everything in writing to make an informed decision and I then called another friend recommend HVAC repairman who is coming tommorrow to look at the unit. He felt sure that parts were readily available. My neighborhood has dozens of this same style unit still running just fine. Why do so many companys waste so much? Haven't we got enough stuff in landfills? Wouldn't it be nice if these people fixed what needed to be fixed honestly instead of trying to rip off the Insurance companies and the customer? I recommend all homeowners to educate themselves about home appliances and repairs, don't be at the mercy of this system that generates so much waste and frustration.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2008

Put in a request to fix heat pump 2 weeks ago. To date three different companies have come out and said two breakers in the air handler need to be replaced, however no one has replaced them.

Today I called AHS and it seems my problem has gone to the research department. When I asked to speak to a supervisor I get forwarded to voice mail.

It will be a cold day in ---- before I re-new this contract. This is poor service, at best.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2008

Our Amana heater stopped working on Christmas night. I placed a service order in to AHS the next morning. Their contractor, sent a technician out on December 28th. They said that they needed to replace the compressor. When that failed to work they said that they needed to replace the control panel. After installing the new panel, the unit still failed to work and they then made another visit to install a motor and wheel.

It has been three weeks and five visits and my family still does not have heat. American Home Shield has been totally unresponsive as to replacing the heat pump to this point.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2008

On Jan 2, 2008 we contacted AHS because every time we used our oven, our carbon monoxide (CO) detector would go off. I was told a rep from Sears would call and set up an appointment. No one called. On Jan 7th, I called Sears and they said a contractor would come out the following day. On Jan 8th I waited during the prearranged time (12-5pm) and no one showed. I called AHS back. They told me the appointment was actually for the following day. I was furious, but ok. On Jan 9th, I waited again.

The repairman for A&E, a subcontractor of Sears, called me and explained he did not have the proper equipment to deal with CO and told me to call the gas company. Our gas company tech arrived, tested the oven, and it was indeed putting out over the safe amount of CO. He turned off the gas line to the oven in order to make sure it was safe.

As of Jan 12th, we still are without our range. I lost count of how many people we talked to explaining over and over it was not a gas leak, but a carbon monoxide leak. Finally, on Jan 13th we'd had enough. We searched the web and found the presidents name (Dave Crawford), the Senior VP of Legal. We called their main number and left messages. Low and behold we got calls the next day. Unfortunately, they still were not helpful. When speaking with someone from the Presidents Line, she was one of the worst. We had been without a stove for 12 days now. She offered $60 to buy and electric skillet!

When I pressed her as to what a reasonable amount of time to find a qualified repairman was, her attitude was 'as long as it takes'. I was told I could do whatever I wanted outside the parameters of the contract, but for AHS to pay for it they had to find a qualified repairman. She even told me that just because the gas company confirmed the leak didnt mean there was a problem! To date we are still waiting!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2008

My wife and I have carried and renewed an AHS contract for the past 5 years. I am not sure why as the service left much to be desired and we could never get a plumber within our service area in a timely fashion as stated in the AHS contract. This year we received another renewal form after giving it much thought I realized we are idiots!!!! In my opinion, American Home Shield takes our premium and gives nothing in return except grief, aggravation, and lame excuses.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2008

Our hot water heater failed and was leaking gallons and gallons of water into our garage and out into the street. This was discovered at 6:45 AM. We were told that this was not and emergency by AHS standards and told that someone would contact us within 4 business hours!

We advised that we had a 3 month old infant and now had no hot water and low water pressure on the cold water. We were told that it would be called an emergency now.

After repeated phone calls to check the status of our service, the contracted plumber arrived at our house 5 hours later! They spent less than 10 minutes deciding that the water heater needed to be replaced and left to contact AHS for approval. The plumber called back at 3:15 to say that he would not be able to return until the next morning between 8 to 10am .

By the time this gets fixed, we will have been without hot water for over 24 hours and missed 2 days of work each, on what they call an emergency. I'd hate to see what they do on a non-emergency.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2008

I was provided a Home Warranty Contract throgh American Home Shield (AHS) as part of buying my home at the following address: 11300 SW 128th Street, Miami Florida. The Air Conditioning unit's heating is not opperational. It was 32 degrees, I called the AHS and they advised that before they can attend the service call $ 40.00 would have to be paid that was due at closing.

I called the realtor and she advised that the payment had been paid in full. I realize that by contract there is a 75 service call fee but I cannot someone from AHS to service my request after $ 555.00 was paid for the premium even though my contract states that annual rate is $ 525.00 so why are they tryin to get an additional $ 40.00? I have a three year old son and we have no heat in the house!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2008

I have had an AHS policy for several years and tried to use it twice. Once it was for a broken pipe and the scam that AHS and their contractor perpetrated at that incident caused me to realize I was not dealing with an ethical organization. But, I forgot to cancel the plan. So when I had a dishwasher problem two years later, I called AHS. First the tech came out and said that it was under warranty - why they would presume to know more than either Sears or me, was mind-boggling, but now I realize it was to stall the repairs. When I demanded that they come out to service it, they did, and they ordered a part. Two weeks later they returned and of course it was the wrong part. AHS and the contractor are beyond rude. I have now waited for four weeks, no one will return my calls and when I do reach a person I am told it was an honest mistake. But no one will make good on the contract and I plan to take them to small claims court for a new dishwasher, as the contract says they will fix or replace the appliances. Evidently fixing is not an option. I look forward to explaining AHS non-performance to a judge who I am confident will view the AHS history of deceptive tactics as reprehensible.

Four weeks of non-performance by AHS and their incompetent contractor.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2008

They have been trying to fix our fridge for the last 6 months and have not been able to do that. They have sent so many contractors to look into it, and all of them come out with different excuses or causes for the malfunction. They have probably spent more money in dealing with these ineffective people. American Home Shield is PENNY WISE POUND FOOLISH IN THEIR APPROACH. Having people answering the complaints and trying to decide what to do is a no-commonsense approach.

Have been living with that fridge for over six months. Presently the fridge is leaking water. They say someone will come in one week's time. Can you please help deal with these inefficient people? Wasted so many hours waiting for them and asking time off from work. Who is to pay for my time lost waiting for these unproductive bunch of human beings?

Original review: Dec. 17, 2007

In the middle of September 2007 our dishwasher in our new home quit. American Homeshield sent a Sears repairman out and he ordered parts and set up a return date for the repair. After repeated weeks of no part or repairman, I finally had a different repairman show up with the wrong part. They supposedly ordered the correct part and it is almort Christmas and no repair yet. I threatened them with the Better Business Bureau and someone named Michelle promised a Repair Date of December 17th. Well today is the 17th and American Homeshield will not replace my dishwasher even though it was put off one more time. I spoke with a rep that called me back and after speaking to Sears he was so upset that he was given the runaround, he said that another American Homeshield Rep. would contact me regarding this matter. I am getting ready to buy a washing machine today and I guarantee that it will not be a Sears brand nor will I cover it under American Homeshield. I can't wait to see what this next person tells me with this latest delay. All I want is a dishwasher before Christmas but they do not care if 3 months have passed. They do not seem to care if they are reported or what their customer service ratings are.

I have taken off 12 days of work to wait on repairs. If they want to pay me for my salary, I could buy another dishwasher.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2007

My air conditioner started leaking. AHS sent a company to look at it. This company had been to my home on three other occasions for the same reason. Each time they fixed the problem temporarily. I was told the drains were clog.

On the last visit the tech called AHS and told them the problem was caused by an improper install. Not one time before did the tech ever indicate that there was an improper install.

AHS requested a second opinion. I agreed however when the new company called I informed them that I wanted to have my own tech present when they came out. They refused, stating they were not going to allow someone to watch over their shoulders.

I called AHS to dispatch another company. I am waiting for their call and will have my response hopefully this week.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2007

I called American Home Shield to request service on water heater that was not functioning. The emergency number on their web page is the same number as the basic number!

When I finally talked to a rep to request emergency service, her response was that it did not constitute an emergency and unfortunately there was nothing they could do. The floor supervisor simply towed the same line. When I asked what guidelines are used to determine what constitutes an emergency request she informed me it was AHS policy not to divulge emergency guidelines.

She finally said my policy stated that they have 2 working days or 48 hours to fix the problem.

As a policy holder I should have full disclosure to emergency guidelines.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2007

I had placed a service repair to American Home Shielf for a leaking valve in my shower. AHS provided a technician who came out and repaired the problem. The said technician from Black Sea Corporation, cut a hole in my wall to gain access. AHS gave approval for the cutting in the wall as for the repair. I was told by the technician that I would need to contact AHS for repair to the wall. I called AHS and was told that they couldn't find a dry wall technician, and that they would offer me a cash out of only $70.00 to find someone on my own to repair the wall. I told them I wanted them to find someone to repair the wall. It has been almost 2 weeks, and my wall still has a hole in it and cold air is coming into my home. I haven't run my heater as it is senseless, as the warm air just escapes.

Finally, someone came out to take a look at it today, and AHS told the drywall repairman that they would only pay him $150.00 to repair the wall, but only to its rough stage, and I would have to pickup the cost of having the wall finished back to its original state! Is this fair? I am finally having the walled fixed, but will now have to dish out money to get it back to what it was before they cut into it.

Since the hole was made, it has been quite cold in my home. Two of us, who are the owners, have gotten sick due the constant cold air in the house.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2007

I purchased a house and as a condition of the sale, I was offered a policy for my Vital Systems and appliances. After being in the house for three months the A/C went out in the middle of summer (I live in Florida, so you can imagine what I was going through). After trying to get a AHA approved tech out (at $50), they said they could not exchange the unit do to a failure of proper maintinence from the previous homeowners. Today, (12/6/07) I called to cancel my service after receiving a contract extension letter. They gave me the run around for 30 minutes and then after to speaking to the rep, she asked to record me for the record. After that was done, she mentions that there will be admin fee's subtracted from the prorated amount left on the policy and a decision would be made within 21 days. They take your money and when something fails, they refuse to cover it. They should be ashamed of themselves for asking for a contract renewal!

I paid $5000 for a new A/C unit myself.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2007

Husband called AHS last week. We have a leak in the main water line. Are we covered? They asked if the leak was in the foundation. He replied no. It was outside before the house. They replied no problem it's covered. AHS Called a plumber and set the appointment. Today the plumber comes out looks at the leak calls AHS and then tells me it's not covered because it's outside the home, and wants the service charge of $55.00. I said no way and called AHS.

After talking to several people and calling different numbers I finally get a floor supervisor Monica. She starts out really nice and then became very rude. She says our contract states it does not cover outside the home. When asked why was my husband told it was. She says we should have read the contract. When I asked her why do they have you push #3 to find out if something is covered or not when calling if they themselves don't know. When I told her I wanted to cancel the home warranty and they could take the $55.00 charge out of my refund. She was telling me the addresses before I could even finish. In order to get a refund you must submit in writing to a P.O.Box. It's quite obvious that this company does not care about their customers nor do the employees

Original review: Nov. 28, 2007

A service call was made to AHS for a small electrical problem. $55 service fee was charged, no repair was made and an estimate given for approximately $200 for repair. Owner should have been notified that such work was not warranted.

Page 5, states electrical system is covered. Refusal of repair is not in dispute, however the $55 service fee is. It is misleading and not in good faith.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2007

In July 2007 our AC made clicking noises and would not stay on. AHS sent out Avalanche to service it, and they sent out a non-certified HVAC tech who simply said it was dirty, and they denied the claim. When I asked Avalanche for the tech's HVAC cert # they simply sent me back the $55 service fee. Meanwhile AHS refused to cancel my account and continued to bill me--even after THREE FAXES and several phone calls.

TODAY they hit me for another $37 monthly FEE--FOR NOTHING! Through a co-worker I had a certified HVAC tech correctly fix my AC: a simple relay switch. I paid $180, and my AC has been working fine since then; and American Home Shield is still billing me despite my cancel instructions!!!

American Home Shield Company Information