4.3/5 (11738 ratings)
Author picture
Written by Kathryn Parkman
Edited by Jon Bortin

About American Home Shield

American Home Shield is a home warranty company with over 1.8 million customers. It provides home service contracts that cover major home systems and appliances and offers additional protection for electronics and select maintenance services. The company has access to a network of over 17,000 licensed contractors and has paid out over $2 billion in claims over the past five years.

Pros

• 30-day workmanship guarantee
    • Flexible payment options
    • Does not require maintenance records

Cons

• Not available in Alaska
    • Some customer service complaints

Bottom Line

American Home Shield offers three warranty plans to cover systems and appliances, regardless of age. AHS provides additional coverage for electronics, pools or spas, and roof leak repairs.

American Home Shield Reviews

Over 50k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Shield?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Shield?

Original review: July 19, 2012

I had my A/C unit fail during a 100-degree week in Chicago. I called AHS and like everyone else, I was on hold for 20 minutes. I waited. When they finally answered, I said my A/C unit is not working. They looked up the available contractors in my area. I had one. Long story short, they said to have the work done and send in the invoice for payment. Guess what? They declined the payment to me because I didn't have my contractor wait on the phone for 40 minutes like I did to have this job authorized. I'm on the phone right now for 38 minutes and 19 seconds and I am being transferred for the third time. What a joke.

Original review: July 19, 2012

Three and a half years ago, my air-conditioner went out. The tech recommended replacing it. I was told they would have to replace the inside heat pump and the outside unit so they are compatible with each other. Well, American Home Shield said, “No, we want to just repair it with new parts.” Then on June 13, 2012, my A/C’s pipes freeze up and the water in the basement from the heat pump went everywhere. They sent Energy Solutions from Delaware and the tech was acting like he didn't even want to be at my house. He put freon in my unit outside and said I may have a leak. Well, sure enough two weeks later my A/C breaks again. The same tech comes out and seals one leak and fills with freon again. Well, here we are again on 7/17/12 and the outside unit breaks. I called AHS and they said this is way too many complaints - the unit needs to be replaced.

The new tech/company was very nice and said he can't believe Energy Solutions didn't tell me all the problems with the unit. There is not just one leak - there are several. Plus the wires are shot and the whole unit outside has to be replaced. I thought, by law, you can't replace just one unit. You have to replace both so they are compatible with each other. I am waiting to hear from the warranty company. It better be good news. I have a class action suit (Lara ** vs. AHS) that the attorney wants me to submit because I was denied new units 3 and 1/2 years ago. I will fill that out and pray they replace both units.

Original review: July 18, 2012

On the Thursday prior to Memorial Day, I emailed in a service request to AHS thinking the plumber could call and set up an appointment for the next week. I did not expect immediate service due to the holiday and my dripping shower could wait a few more days. I received confirmation of the request with the name of United Heating and Air on it. I waited Thursday and Friday for a call from UHA - nothing. So, on Friday, I called them thinking that since I was at work, maybe they called my home phone instead of the instructed cell phone number. The young lady who answered the phone asked for an order number, left me on hold, and then returned to tell me that someone would call me back that afternoon. Nothing. I waited most of the day on Saturday, got angry and got online and cancelled the request. Time got by me and a week later, I called this time (waited 37 minutes on the phone) and requested service. I was told by the gal what had happened and how I didn't want UHA to service me. I was sent a confirmation for another plumber.

Once again, a couple of days went by and nothing happened. I called this one and was told that they did not service my area and that AHS had been informed. AHS never informed me and I had been waiting. I got on the phone again (28-minute wait) and told that gal what happened and she said she'd take care of it. I received a confirmation and UHA once again had been assigned to me. This time I received a call from their rep and scheduled an appointment. But after telling the gal what happened the first time, she started screaming at me and telling me off. I told her I had a copy of the May confirmation printed out and would give it to the repairman to bring back to the office.

On June 11th, Mike the repairman came to my house to stop the drip. After going to Home Depot for parts and banging the crap out of the valve in my shower to the point where the cartridge was in a thousand pieces, he informed me the problem was fixed. That night I went to shower and the hot and cold had been reversed. I didn't call it in again because I was leaving on a cruise and couldn't arrange anyone to take care of meeting a repairman. When I returned on the 18th, I went to shower again and there was water spewing out of the handle of the shower in a steady spurt. Again, I called (another 24-minute wait) and the AHS rep was nice and informed me that I was reporting the problem within the "fix it for free" period. On June 19th, repairman Tommy came from UHA, changed the cartridge again, but pulled me into the bathroom to hear the leak in the wall. It appeared to me that repairman Mike's banging and clanging damaged something in the wall that caused the water to spew out and that Tommy got the spurting out to stop, but now it was spurting in.

He informed me that I'd need a leak specialist to locate the source. I asked him to shut the water off and said there was no need because the water was leaking in the wall and it would sink down to the slab and be absorbed. Now, I'm no plumber, but that sure didn't make much sense. I should've shut the water main off, but again I got side-tracked and was totally forgotten. By the next day repairman Chris showed up to locate the leak. It was in the shower valve right behind where repairman Mike had a party banging and clanging. Chris shut the water off inside the wall and said he had to order a valve and would return when the part came in to change it. But he announced I have major water damage (not covered by AHS) and he called a restoration service he knew (handy, huh?) that showed up on my door about 30 minutes after he left. Of course, the damage was $2500 and it would take 5 days to clean up.

Meanwhile, this time I did listen to my "little voices" and told him I'd think about it. No water damage was visible anywhere, so I decided not to allow this restoration company that wanted to start immediately to do anything. Again, the next day Chris returned, changed the valve, and all is working okay now. Once the wall was opened, there was no water damage, there’s no mold, and there’s a tiny bit of dampness that I dried out myself using fans. I left the wall open for a couple of days and used several fans to circulate air just to be on the safe side.

Usually, AHS calls for a follow-up to want to know how I would rate the service. There’s nothing this time, though. I was charged the initial $60 for Mike to screw everything up. I was not charged for Tommy's visit or Chris's two visits. I didn't expect to pay for Tommy's visit as he was fixing the reversal of hot and cold. But I figured AHS would call the new leak a new problem and I'd be charged for Chris's two visits. I wasn't and I thought to myself, “How nice.” Well, it's July 17 now and I got the bill for $60. I'm just going to pay it and get this behind me.

I have been a customer of AHS for over 10 years for three different residences. I have had to use them several times over the years and have never had any problems. But I have not used them in over 3 years until this incident. I was shocked that I got a recording and a huge wait when calling in. I used to always call in and got a person immediately. I always got follow-up calls and there was a pool of service people available for each specialty. Evidently, UHA is their only plumber in this area and they're 35 miles away from my home. I'd say AHS has gone to the dogs and it's time for a change. So, currently I'm shopping around for another home warranty company. And I'd advise others considering signing with AHS to keep shopping before committing. For existing customers, if you cancel, don't forget there will be a waiting period with the next warranty service that you will purchase and you might want to consider overlapping coverage for a couple of months.

Original review: July 17, 2012

Water leakage in the master bathroom shower - I called AHS. They sent a plumber in October to fix the problem. Also, I paid additionally over $400 on that service call. Today, July 2012, I am having the same problem. I turned on the shower and water was flooding down the stairs. I requested service again. They sent ARS plumbing service on July 17, 2012. The plumber came out. I told him that I forgot to mention also that the toilet needs to be looked at because sometimes it continues to run and I have to shake the knob. The plumber said he will only fix the shower, so I asked him to leave.

He slammed my door in my face. I called AHS to schedule a new plumber from a different company to come out. They tell me, "No, it will be from the ARS plumbing company but a different person." So I said, "Let me speak to your supervisor." The customer service person named Andrew said that the supervisor will tell me the same thing. I was put on hold for 45 minutes and Andrew never returned to the phone. While on hold with the home phone, I called on my cellphone, spoke to KC out of Memphis. She put me on hold for 15 minutes. Then she came back, no upper management person. KC said that someone in management will have to contact me. So, I have a leaking shower with no scheduled service and I have been with AHS a long time. What am I paying you month to month for? Bad service contract and bad customer service. I will be sending a legal complaint.

Original review: July 17, 2012

I called on July 10th because my A/C unit went out. It is now 7 days later and I still do not have a unit although this situation was considered an emergency. Instead of replacing the 16 years old unit and getting it over with, they are on the elusive search for a compressor to work on the old unit. I have tenants living without A/C in the Georgia heat for 7 days.

Original review: July 13, 2012

I had a premium contract with AHS and when my air conditioner compressor went out, AHS and their local contractor stumbled around for a full week and did nothing while my family lived through 110+ degree temperatures with the AC unit out. I had been calling them daily to check status, and got nothing but robotic employees reading canned policy statements out of their manual. I finally got in touch with the local sales rep through my broker who purchased the warranty after six days and she found that AHS had still not ordered the part. It is still not fixed and likely won't be until Monday, 10 days with no AC in the middle of the hottest part of summer in Arizona. I would never do business with this company again. Absolutely stay away from American Home Shield.

Original review: July 13, 2012

They sent A&P Electric to our house to fix our a/c unit. They came and said the drip pan needed replacing and would order it. We never heard back from the a/c company. When we called them 3 days later, they said they were waiting on approval from American Home Shield. After several calls, we finally got a "story" that our a/c was installed incorrectly. So they would not cover it but that it would cost $2,500 to repair. Our a/c unit was installed 10 years ago and our home inspection would have caught any incorrect installation. Crock, and $2,500 for a drip pan?! Really? No thanks, I'll contract a reputable a/c company. AHS is crooked and really sad customer service, 45-minute wait time just to get someone on the phone. Oh yea, and we got the same story. You can pay another $60 for a second opinion! Ha!

Original review: July 12, 2012

I purchased a home a year ago and used American Home Shield. I purchased their most comprehensive (and expensive) coverage package, which was to cover everything from ceiling fans to pool heating and electric. In fact, they cover absolutely nothing. I have a ceiling fan dangling from the ceiling by wires. They had me pay the usual $60 to a repair person who said it was routine maintenance and would not cover. They told me for another $60, I could get a second opinion and maybe they would reconsider.

Needless to say, it was cheaper and faster for me to by my own new ceiling fan. I called about by pool heater. They said they found a nest next to some of the wires, which suggests pests may have damaged the wires. Since they do not cover pest damage, they would not cover. I then had a problem with my pool electric pump. They said that the wires were old and some of them went through a pipe. Apparently, they don't do pipes, so, of course, no coverage. I tried to look up my contract on the website, but the website appears to be administered by an 11-year old, because you only get an error message when you try to view your contract or click on any of the links that don't actually appear.

The service is just as bad. Every call begins with at least a 20 minute wait. When I asked why they don't cover what they say, I was told, "We just don't." I asked to speak to a supervisor. The customer service guy said he was the supervisor. When I continued asking questions, he said he would have his supervisor call me. Their contract is a complete sham.

Original review: July 12, 2012

I had a technician out to do a tune up on our AC in June. He said that our unit was in bad shape and needed a lot of work. I said that we have a home warranty plan and we would go through them. I had a technician from All Right Heating and Cooling out a couple of days later. I told him what the first technician told me was wrong. This guy, Toby, looked confused. He said he would go look at the unit and see what he could find. He came back saying an inaccurate sized capacitor was installed. We had this capacitor installed two years ago, also by a contractor from AHS.

I spoke with a supervisor about this at AHS and was supposed to get a reimbursement check for this latest visit since it was incorrectly installed. I was told to expect it within 14-21 days. It will be 21 days tomorrow and it has not yet been processed. They can't tell me when I will receive it. On a side note, I have spoken with AC technicians who will not work with AHS because they are slow in reimbursing them.

Anyhow, after having the capacitor replaced, I was told by Toby that our house should start cooling off. It has not. Our AC runs all day just to maintain the current temperature of 80, even though I have been told in 95 degree weather, it should be able to cool down no problem to 75 degrees. I called AHS to have them come back out to look at my AC. This time, he said that there is not enough Freon. This is one week after being told by a Nate, certified technician, that it was overcharged. Most likely now my AC is overcharged. My AC is not cooling down. I fear our AC is completely going out and having to wait, I don't know how long to have it fixed.

Original review: July 12, 2012

I was sent a flyer about the warranty. General coverage was stated, but no specifics. I paid in advance. Meanwhile, I went to their website to discover more about coverage. The item I was worried about was specifically stated that it was covered. However, when the actual policy came, I later found out that the item I was most interested in was listed as not covered. Sure enough, several months later, that system did in fact fail, and AHS would not authorize its repair. I immediately rechecked their website, and there it was again, listed as a covered part. So, how many of you out there have issues where the AHS promotional material says or implies that something is covered, only to find at claim time, the policy says it is not? If this situation fits your circumstance, reply to my email. I may have a remedy.

Original review: July 12, 2012

After having AHS for 9 years, and making monthly payments, my AC unit stopped working. I called for service. It took 1-1/2 days to get someone to my house. The service tech said the unit had taken a power surge and called AHS. AHS called me right back and told me they would not pay for the repairs due to the cause being a power surge. I have a SurgeGuard on my house from the electric company, which I pay a rental fee for each month. This SurgeGuard showed that there was no power surge into my house. I had no damage to any other items in my house. I explained this to the AHS person on the phone. She became rude and acted like I was annoying her. She kept stating they would not cover the damage. She kept offering to send out another company to re-assess the unit for another $75 charge. I will be looking into joining the class action lawsuits against AHS. They can kiss this contract good-bye.

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: July 11, 2012

We have had multiple service calls on an A/C unit. All they do is band aid the problem - adding freon every month when it should only need to be done yearly, if at all. As long as they get it going, even if it's for a few weeks, they call it fixed and just wait for your next claim. Meanwhile, you get charged yet another service fee. I have talked to others who said they are a scam and that they never replace anything! Put your money in reserve, don't give it to a company who is dishonest and unethical!

Original review: July 10, 2012

I called for service. The plumber came and refused to do the work and Home Shield billed me for the service call, $100. They never fixed anything.

Original review: July 10, 2012

Central air repair/replacement issue - On 5/28/12, I called American Home Shield for an emergency repair to a central air conditioning unit that was dripping through my bedroom ceiling from the attic. The technician stated the coil was rusted and had to be replaced and not repaired. He ordered the part and stated it would take about 7 days for delivery of the part.

It is now day 44 and still not repaired. AHS has stated there is no ETD (Estimated Time of Delivery) for the part since the unit is no longer manufactured and needed to be custom built. They said I could wait (indefinitely) for the part or take a "buyout", which means they pay me what they would pay the contractor and I find my own repair person. If there is no other manufacturer that can provide this part, and no date for delivery, then I would be back where I started and worse, would have to get a new unit at my expense.

Due to the record-breaking heat waves and storms here in NJ, this is a health situation. I am 67 years old, have a heart condition, have asthma, and have sleep apnea. I do animal rescue and my dogs are suffering from the heat also. AHS has authorized $100 toward a fan and I have purchased 2 tower fans for my pets. Since I am only getting a runaround from the technician, manufacturer, etc., about repairing this unit, the only other option is to replace it. I am going in for major surgery on August 7th and will be coming home to recuperate… with no air in my upstairs unit. Please help!

Original review: July 7, 2012

I have been without a washer and dryer for 10 weeks; I contacted AHS for service the first of May. I have been through 2 service repair representatives and have had over five home visits that have resulted in a new part and/or repair needed after each visit. I was also assigned an AHS service representative as liaison who in the beginning was somewhat helpful; however, her follow-up and communication skills are lacking significantly. As of yesterday, 06 July12, I have not received a follow-up call and/or a phone call from a manager or any one in a corporate position at AHS.

My washer and dryer are still broken, and I am on Weekend 10 of spending an average of $40 at the laundromat (there are 4 adults in my household). The irony to this all is that AHS has debited my account 2 times for their monthly payments over this 10-week ordeal. However, they have not fulfilled their end of our contract. Yesterday, when I called and tried to speak with a manager, I was told they were offering to reimburse my $75 towards a new washer and dryer. I was very confused - $75? I have paid almost $100 in AHS monthly fees and almost $400 in 10 weeks in laundromat visits.

Nonetheless, my spouse and I are both in the military. So we have had to miss valuable time at work so that the repair person could assess our washer/dryer issues. All this for $75 towards replacing a 5-year-old GE top-of-the-line washer/dryer? I feel insulted by the jester! Prior to this incident, I have had to utilize AHS only a handful of times in a 10-year period. Yes, I have been a very loyal customer for 10 years. My experiences before were taken care of with little to no frustration; however, they have made up for their 10 years of little to no frustration with this incident and the lack of any type of customer service, empathy, sympathy or integrity.

Original review: July 6, 2012

We had a narrow crack in our cast iron drain pipe in a closet under the bathroom. It was eye-level to waist-level long. We can't use our bathroom. The crack is accessible since we had a restorer strip the area of all plaster and lathe and clean the area. This crack is covered by the pipe coverage but states that should any repair be obstructed by cement, they give a $500 payout. This is not. However, since they said there could be a chance of causing a crack in the area above when they repair the pipe, they will give us $500 flat fee and not pay to fix the visible and accessible pipe. The cracked area is between two bells so there is less likelihood of the crack happening so there is no reason not to pay for it to be fixed. Of course, the plumber they sent said he could definitely do it with no problem, gave me a quote, but then tried to get approval for the cost of going through cement which is what caused this red flag.

They have given me the runaround since June 19 and it's now the 6th. No bathroom and they keep telling me they are investigating the situation. I've had my home insurance send a plumber and a structural engineer assess the area and repair. They both said the plumber should be okay to do this. I also have pictures and the written estimate from their plumber which says nothing of the cement slab. This is horrendous customer service and management. I also have little confidence in their vendors. We got this warranty when we bought the house. But when we sold our old house, we went with Choice Home Warranty. I definitely recommend them over AHS.

Original review: July 6, 2012

New home - First issue was with the water leak on the inside of the house (outside faucet). After waiting for many days before a plumber responded, the plumber said he needed $60 to see the faucet, then would need to make another trip to get the part to repair. Each visit is $60, so we are looking at at least $120 for a $20 part. Second issue, water leaks in the basement from the main water line. It was in fine print that they wouldn't cover. Third issue, on the 4th of July, our A/C went out. We called and they said they would immediately dispatch. So on the 5th, my wife called to check on the status. The company said that company they are using to subcontract doesn't have voicemail and they don't answer the phone. So now it is the 6th and they said give them another 24 hours to respond. It's over 100 degrees here and I have small children. We called up another company, but they are booked now since we are coming up on a weekend. Each time you call, expect to wait at least 30 minutes before you get a response. Very, very poor service.

Original review: July 6, 2012

I signed up for systems plan coverage and pay $37 a month. I talked with Gwen at the GFA, GA office, and then I got a contract for three payments, totaling $444. I sent a void check to deduct the $37 a month automatic draft. Next thing I know, AHS is taking out $111 on June 1, 2012 with another contract fee invoice of $148 to be taken out on June 8th. This was not our agreement and when I talked with Gwen, she said she did not know why they did this. She would check on this. I heard nothing so I stopped payment on the $111. Is this how you do everyone? I am a widow and I can't have $148 come out in three payments. I now get a past due notice for $407. Nobody knows what is going on. Please let me know what is going on. If this is the way you treat customers, I don't need it!

Original review: July 4, 2012

I filed a service request today, July 4, 2012, for my A/C. They sent out their company United Air Temp. They came out and said my compressor was burnt out and if I do not pay them $385 to clean the coils, they were going to send pictures and deny my claim. Later, the man said it was only $165 just to do the coils so I told him to go ahead. Then In just a few minutes later, he came back and said the it's the casing outside. It was deteriorating due to the weather and had AHS deny the request. At that time, I did not realize that United Air Temps is owned by AHS. The guy left at that point without even telling me and did absolutely nothing. This was not the first time I had problems with AHS. Around 2 years ago, I was going to court (against a renter) for one of my properties. I needed a detailed report from AHS. AHS asked for a $25 for the paperwork. As of today, 2 years later, I went to court with no paperwork and they never gave me my $25 back. Beware.

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: July 3, 2012

I called in about my broken water heater. They had someone out the following day. The plumber claimed that it would cost $485 for a sediment trap, $120.00 for another charge, and $50.00 to rid the old hot water heater. I called around and found that the sediment trap is $10.00 worth of nipples, two lines is called drip legs or drip trap. I called back to AHS who said they have no control over what is being charged but I could get a cash payment and take care of it myself. This is the third day I do not have hot water. They said it would take 72 hours for me to learn what the cash settlement would be. They honestly think it's okay for our family to be without hot water forever? I also believe the $485 is a way for them to get money to pay for the hot water tank. What a scam.

Original review: June 30, 2012

I made a service call on 5/19/12 to American Home Shield warranty for a service request for repair for my dishwasher. I received a confirmation of my request from American Home Shield warranty on 5/20/12. A man from HAR Appliance Repair that was contacted by American Home Shield warranty called and a service appointment was scheduled for May 24, 2012 .The HAR Appliance repairmen came out on 5/24/12. It was stated that my dishwasher was unrepairable and needed to be replaced. In less than 10 minutes, I was paying the repairman from HAR Appliance $60 for the service call.

I finally received a call on 5/30/12 made by Jordan from American Home Shield saying she had to find a model to replace my non-working dishwasher, a model that was cheaper than the dishwasher than I currently have. Jordan stated she had to get a model to be approved by a supervisor from their company. I was also informed by Jordan that she would have to call me back another day with a model of dishwasher that their company would pay for. I received a phone message and an email on 5/31/12 with a dishwasher model that American Home Shield had chosen as a replacement dishwasher.

I called on June 1, 2012 and I spoke to a Jane from American Home Shield. I gave her my information and explained that I had received a phone about a model of dishwasher that had been chosen as a replacement dishwasher from American Home Shield. I accepted the model that American Home Shield had chosen and approved a dishwasher as follows: appliance, dishwasher; brand offered, Frigidaire; and model number offered, FGHD2471K B/W. I placed the order with Jane. I thought the dishwasher had already been ordered by Jane on June 1, 2012.

However, I received another letter dated June 4, 2012 stating that they were offering me this: appliance, dishwasher; brand offered, Whirlpool’ model number offered, Wdt710PAY W/B. American Home Shield was offering a different dishwasher than what Jane had ordered on June 1, 2012. It is very difficult to get in contact with American Home Shield. I have not heard from American Home Shield and it is now June 30, 2012.

I am trying to get the dishwasher replaced with a comparable dishwasher than I currently have, which was considered to be non-repairable, and needed it to be replaced by the technician that was sent out by American Home Shield. It is very difficult to get in contact with the American Home Shield. It is June 30, 2012 and I have not heard from American Home Shield. My dishwasher has not been replaced as stated in the home warranty contact. I have had this home warranty insurance for several years and never really needed to use it until now. I have gotten the royal around from American Home Shield in replacing my dishwasher.

Original review: June 29, 2012

Air conditioner went out in over 100-degree Texas heat. AHS had a contractor come out. The contractor was inconsistent/questionable integrity (told us our parts were "in", then told us the parts had not arrived). The contractor was unreliable (they did not show up for established appointment day or give us a courtesy call). Another time, they came at 9:15 pm when we were told to expect them between 5 and 9 pm. A few days later, the contractor arrived for repair without the needed parts and kept putting off our repair. It has been two weeks since we requested the repair. Nothing has been done to repair our AC. When we attempt to contact AHS, we get shuttled to different "specialists", have call "hold" times exceeding 30 minutes, and absolutely no resolution. Avoid this company!

Original review: June 29, 2012

On June 8th, we called AHS to report our refrigerator was not working. Our building maintenance man said the fridge was over 20 years old and was not repairable but AHS would not listen and assigned the issue to Sears for repair. Sears dropped the ball and we never got a repairman out for almost a week. When he came, they had to order parts that took almost a week to get and it was several days before they came to put the parts in and within 24 hours of the repair, the refrigerator quit again. A second repair person came out several days later and did more repair and within 24 hours, the refrigerator quit again. Now three days later and they are telling us no one can come out until tomorrow which will be the June 30th. On top of all this, every time we call AHS, we have to wait more than 30 minutes to even get anyone on the phone. Twenty one days without a refrigerator and at this rate, I doubt we will have a working one within the next week.

Original review: June 29, 2012

On 6/22/12, I was having problems with my air conditioner. So, I contacted AHS about the problem and was told that they would have someone come out on the 25th, which was Monday. Okay, for the time being I decided to buy a small window unit to keep my family cool during the 100-plus weekend temperature. So Monday a so-called tech from Harkins A/C (avoid this company, too) came out to check my unit. After inspecting, I was told that an email would be sent to AHS about the problem as my unit (pay attention) outside was leaking out the coils and could not be replaced.

Well, the following day no one called, so I gave Harkins a call and was told that they hadn't spoken with anyone about my claim. Okay! I called AHS and that's when I was told that the unit would not be replaced due to the unit inside the house being clogged and not installed correctly and not having enough air supply which caused the hole on the outside unit. No way in hell! So, I called AHS back the following day to dispute the claim made by Harkins A/C. I then asked for a second opinion from another company and was put on hold for a while. Finally, someone came back and told me that they were the only one on their list for that type of work.

Okay, being that I have a child who has Down’s syndrome, has holes in her heart and also suffers from breathing problems, I would have to fend for myself after paying for a warranty over 3 years. I then contacted Ward Mechanical who installed the unit in my attic 4 years ago and the owner himself came out to check their work personally. He then stated that if something was not right, they would replace it for free (work done 4 years ago). After inspecting, I was then told that everything was ok, but my condenser was dirty and needed cleaning. Still, it does not have anything to do with the part outside getting a hole inside of it. So, after $2000-plus I had to replace my unit out of pocket and will be dropping AHS after this statement and I would not recommend American Home Shield and Harkins A/C to no one ever to cover or fix anything, not even a damn sandwich.

Original review: June 28, 2012

I have had preventative maintenance contract on my HVAC system with Air Reliant since 2008 and another company for 3 years before that. My HVAC system has been checked and cleaned every 6 months for this time. I have also paid for warranty with American Home Shield for several years. The air conditioner was checked in April and cleaned, and it was working fine, and by Air Reliant's records, it was working better than required. But the air conditioner quit working last week.

AHS sent Oxford Heating and Air (which, by the way, has 14 complaints to BBB mostly for warranty issues) to diagnose the problem. They said the compressor was blown due to lack of maintenance and that the condenser coil was 90% clogged. I looked, and condenser coil was not clogged at all. You can see right through the slats, which means air can flow freely through slats.

I took pictures. The AHS rep discussed the pictures with me. In our discussion, he did not describe the pictures we were looking at simultaneously. He insisted the pictures indicate the unit is clogged. However, I can clearly see through the coils in the same picture. AHS has denied my claim and refused to send someone from a more reputable company to diagnose the problem. Air Reliant previously contracted with AHS, but they discontinued because of this deceptive practice.

Original review: June 28, 2012

Last Monday, June 18, 2012, I had a scheduled appointment with an AHS-recommended plumber. The plumber was scheduled to come out between the morning and noon (12:00). At 9:00AM, I received a call from the plumber that he would not be coming due to the rain. I assured the plumber that it had rained earlier that morning, but it was no longer raining. He informed me that it was raining where he was. This made no sense to me. I communicated with Mr. ** that if it was raining in Bowie or wherever his truck was parked, it should not affect the weather here in DC. I called AHS and was pretty much told one and the same. After the integrity was lost with Mr. **, I requested that I be rescheduled with another company.

Needless to say, AHS attempted to force me to allow Mr. ** come another date. I literally had to stand my grounds and communicate to AHS that they could not and will not push a contractor on me who lacks integrity. With that said, I was rescheduled with ARS Rescue Rooters. Not good. I had a scheduled appointment for yesterday, Wednesday, June 27, 2012 between 1 and 6PM. I called 9-ish on the date to confirm my appointment and was assured of my appointment. At approximately 3:20PM, I received a call from AHS who informed me that the technician would not get to my home until 6:00PM. Not in agreement, I politely confirmed with the caller. I immediately left the house off to a nearby store.

I returned at 4:20PM and was informed by my neighbor that the plumber had just left. She assured the technician, Greg, ARS Rescue Rooter, that I would be right back. I contacted AHS and shared my dismay as to them confirming 6:00PM and the technician showing up at 3:55PM. After a nonchalant disposition received from the administrative person who answered, "We'll call you back in an hour," it's now approximately 4:30 and I called back to AHS and was assured that the plumber was on his way back to my home. Needless to say, no one showed up. I'm so dissatisfied with American Home Shield. I've been a customer for approximately two years and this is the first time I've contacted American Home Shield to rectify a problem, to no avail. This experience has left me with no faith in American Home Shield or its contractors. I expected better of American Home Shield.

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: June 27, 2012

My pool service called me stating my pool heater was leaking. I called AHS they stated they would have Hawaiian Pools come out to take care of it. I asked if I could have someone else due to a previous problem with that company. They stated no because they were the only person they were contracted with. The following day, I received a home phone call and email from Hawaiian Pools, stating they wanted to come out the same day, but I didn't get the messages until I got home some hours later. I called them immediately and they had an attitude because they were unable to contact me. I told them I would be home the following morning if they could come. Then, they told me they were very busy and I would have to wait and see.

The following morning, a tech showed up. He checked the problem and told me to top up the pool which I did. He then stated he would call AHS and I paid him $75 call out fee. The following day, AHS called stating that the tech had told them that the pools' ph was 6.8, and they would not pay for any repairs or new items. I took a sample of water to be tested and it showed 8.2. When I called Hawaiian Pools, he stated that my pool was overflowing? Strange, why would he ask me to top it up? I have a weekly professional pool service that does the chemical check weekly. This is all a scam not to pay for repairs which is covered in the contract.

Original review: June 26, 2012

On the first call to AHS for a simple dripping shower, they sent a plumber who didn't repair it and said we needed a new shower head, but they didn't have one that would work for us. I had to pay AHS $60 for sending the lame plumber. Then, I had to call another plumber and pay again to get it fixed and it was not the shower head - it was a part inside the shower faucet.

On the second call to AHS for the wine cooler, it was denied. It was not covered/read fine print. On the third call to AHS for beverage refrigerator, we asked if it was covered and was told yes and they sent out appliance repair. They left and told me they would order the part and call when ready. Okay, I thought we are 1 for 3! Two days later I get a call from AHS: “This is not covered under a clause in the contract. Bye.” I called the appliance repair and asked them to order the part and repair and I will pay, but now they just don't know what part it is and can't do it. So now I get to pay another $60 to AHS for nothing! Now, I have to pay another $69 to the appliance rescue center that was recommended by the manufacturer to come out. No way am I signing on with this company again! Think long and hard, people.

Original review: June 26, 2012

I have filed 3 service requests with them. Each has been denied based on not being conditions of normal wear and tear. The most recent was a denied claim to replace a 25 year old air compressor. They claim it is due to a kinked drip line, which would have been there at the time that the warranty was issued. The cost to me will now be somewhere between $3,000 and $6,000, based on estimates by service providers they sent out. To date I have spent approximately $1,000 with AHS, and I have received nothing in return. I believe their company to be fraudulent, preying on people who wish to be protected from eventual wear and tear. The company issues warranties based on conditions that they do not verify, send out providers who are told to find a reason to fault the homeowner and then deny the claims.

Original review: June 26, 2012

The drain line on evaporator coil was running water on one of the center main beams under the house. American Home Shield says its Myers’ problem, write a letter to American Home Shield legal department and they would look at it. I can’t get anyone from Myers to return my call. I have all dates of call and names of who I spoke with. Myers called American Home Shield and told them the problem was fixed, case closed. The repair man from Myers came to the house and did not go under the house to look at the problem. He chose to look at the pictures on my husband’s cell phone and because my husband ran a PVC pipe from under the house to stop water from running on the beam, I guess he called AHS and said resolved (per AHS). My next step will be legal. AHS denies that they paid for the drain line. It is connected to the evaporator coil that Myers installed. Myers denies they ran the drain line; they said they don’t go under the house. Hello, it is attached to the coil.

American Home Shield Company Information