4.3/5 (12209 ratings)
Author picture
Written by Kathryn Parkman
Edited by Jon Bortin

About American Home Shield

American Home Shield is a home warranty company with over 1.8 million customers. It provides home service contracts that cover major home systems and appliances and offers additional protection for electronics and select maintenance services. The company has access to a network of over 17,000 licensed contractors and has paid out over $2 billion in claims over the past five years.

Pros

• 30-day workmanship guarantee
    • Flexible payment options
    • Does not require maintenance records

Cons

• Not available in Alaska
    • Some customer service complaints

Bottom Line

American Home Shield offers three warranty plans to cover systems and appliances, regardless of age. AHS provides additional coverage for electronics, pools or spas, and roof leak repairs.

American Home Shield Reviews

Over 50k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Shield?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Shield?

Original review: April 2, 2009

In June 2008, I noticed my AC wasn't cooling properly. I bought it in 1996 and had done annual maintenance and other necessary repairs over the last 13 years. First thing out of their mouth was that they were not going to replace my AC because I didn't maintain it properly. I called a couple more times with no better results. It was very hot, as FL is during the summer, so after a week of getting nowhere with AHS and the inside temp nearing 90°, I decided to have an AC installed now and fight as we go. Since I'd been told about improper maintenance, I decided to go through my file and I found most all of my receipts from the annual maintenance and other repairs done. I'd had the AC for 13 years. I called AHS again and said I had my receipts for maintenance and other repairs. The woman on the phone was helpful and she told me, “Hold on to the receipts, as they are good proof that you did take care of the AC.”

That very afternoon, there were 2 phone messages from Ms. ** asking me to call her. We spoke on the phone the next morning and she said she didn't care what proof I had about proper maintenance or what the other lady from AHS said. Now she claims that I never gave them a chance to look over the old AC (actually they did & I have that receipt to prove it!). The monetary damages were a little over $5500. Since I'd owned the home since 1994 and had used AHS Service a few times for nothing major, I was shocked when I was talked to so rudely. Ms. ** did offer me 2 coupons for $60 to go away. I turned her down.

Original review: April 2, 2009

On June 2008, I noticed my AC wasn't cooling properly. I'd bought it in 1996 and had done annual maintenance and other necessary repairs over the last 13 years. First things out of their mouth is that they are not going to replace my AC because I didn't maintain it properly. I called a couple more times with no better results. It was very hot as FL is during the summer. So after a week of getting nowhere with AHS and the inside temp nearing 90, I decided to have an AC installed now and fight as we go. Since I'd been told about improper maintenance, I decided to go through my file and I found most all of my receipts from annual maintenance and other repairs done.

I'd had the AC for 13 years. I called AHS again and said I had my receipts for maintenance and other repairs. The woman on the phone was helpful and she told me to hold onto the receipts as they are good proof that I did take care of the AC. That very afternoon, there were two phone messages from Ms. ** asking me to call her. We spoke on the phone the next morning and she said she didn't care what proof I had about proper maintenance or what the other lady from AHS said. Now she claims that I never gave them a chance to look over the old AC (actually, they did and I have that receipt to prove it!).

Original review: April 2, 2009

In June 2008, I noticed my AC wasn't cooling properly. I'd bought it in 1996 and had done annual maintenance, and other necessary repairs over the last 16 years. First things out of their mouth is that they are not going to replace my AC because I didn't maintain it properly. I called a couple more times with no better results. It was very hot as FL is during the summer. So after a week of getting nowhere with AHS and the inside temp nearing 90, I decided to have an AC installed now and fight as we go. Since I'd been told about improper maintenance, I decided to go through my file and I found most all of my receipts from annual maintenance and other repairs done.

I had the AC for 13 years. I called AHS again and said I had my receipts for maintenance and other repairs. The woman on the phone was helpful, and she told me to hold onto the receipts as they are good proof that you did take care of the AC. That very afternoon, there were 2 phone messages from Ms. Jensen asking me to call her. We spoke on the phone the next morning, and she said she didn't care what proof I had about proper maintenance or what the other lady from AHS said. Now she claims that I never gave them a chance to look over the old AC (actually, they did and I have that receipt to prove it!).

Original review: March 31, 2009

I contacted AHS to tell them that my oven was throwing out a lot of steam and/or smoke and that the door wasn't properly closing. I bought the house less than 1 year ago and the oven is at least 25 years old. I have a 9 year old daughter and this is just an accident waiting to happen and can't be a healthy environment. The first company that came out told me the oven was fine and nothing was wrong. I asked for another company and they came out and found 3 things wrong and reported that back to AHS. Then AHS contacted me and said it wasn't normal wear and tear and that a bracket was bent and that caused the seal to not work. Because it wasn't normal wear and tear it wasn't covered! The bracket is not bent and the seal is 25 yrs old! I called them back and said I could send them pictures and asked for another company and they said if they sent a third company out that they would need to charge me again. Honestly, I think they just wear you out until you give up which is where I am at with this whole thing.

Original review: March 30, 2009

We have used the service of American Home Shield since 12/01/2007 paying charges monthly. At the expiration date of our present contract I decided not to continue the services and accordingly attempted to call them numerous times only to be placed on Hold for an unacceptable period of time. On 23 March 09 I received a letter signed by a Vermisha **, Accounting Department stating I owed a past due amount of $333.32 and if that money wasn't paid I may be the subject of collection procedures. I take exception to implication and threats of this nature and should it be necessary will defend my credit thru legal offices available.

Original review: March 30, 2009

My washing machine broke down and I contacted AHS whom I have had a contract with for 8 yrs. They sent a serviceman out 3 separate times and 4 weeks later I still have a broken machine. Their customer service really is a waste of time as they only answer they give is to send the same company that can't fix my machine out. I will not renew with AHS this year and I would never recommend anyone to purchase their warranty. I live 40 miles one way from a laundromat and it cost me $2.00 per load to wash and $1.25 per load to dry, add this to the cost of an 80 miles round trip every week for 4 wks and my out of pocket expense is around $200 so far and still no resolution.

Original review: March 27, 2009

We purchased the American Home Shield when we bought our house. Our real estate agent suggested it was an investment to safeguard ourselves against unexpected failures of appliances, etc. Our first year in the house was fine - we didn't need to claim anything. We received the renewal bill, and feeling safe that we were purchasing a 'safeguard' against the possibility of unexpected expenses, we wrote the check for $500 and believed their assurance that they covered 'all appliances, with guaranteed satisfaction.'

In the past two months, our dishwasher failed. It is a listed item, and American Home Shield took the claim when we filed it, and they assigned a contractor to fix the problem. A contractor contacted us one day later, came the following day and after spending 10 minutes diagnosed that the clasp required to hold the door shut on the dishwasher was defective. He needed to 'order the part,' which was a simple metal bracket. He required that we pay the contractual $60.00 for his visit, and he made an appointment with me to come one week later with the part and replace it. He stated it was a simple repair and should take 10 minutes.

I took a 1/2 day off from work to be at home when he agreed, but to my surprise - no contractor arrived. I could not reach him at his 'work' number and when I called AHS, they could only leave a message. To make a long story short, this pattern I described above repeated itself TWO more times where AHS stated they reached the contractor and he had to order the part. He made an appointment with me and then did not show for it. I've missed three 1/2 days of work as a result, and still have a broken dishwasher.

I have spent hours on the phone with AHS (I have kept a log - if you DO sign up with them, I highly recommend you keep a log). This contractor has never shown up again, but AHS will not assign a new contractor to me because he has spent money ordering a part and so he is now committed to the repair. I have demanded that they send a new repair person to complete the work, only to get the run around. I have moved up the chain of command at AHS, only to be told we are sorry, but all we can do is call the contractor and 'remind' him that he has an appointment with you. American Home Shield even refused to refund my $60.00 I paid for the lack of service I was to receive.

A word of advice to those thinking of buying an American Home Shield policy, don't do it. From an actuarial standpoint, they are in a winning position - much like the way a casino operates. They bid out jobs to the lowest bidder, and then they do not represent the interest of the homeowner when the service call goes bad. Instead, they put up an impenetrable smokescreen and you are left with absolutely NO recourse. You are out your $500 policy and your $60 for the visit. You would be MUCH better off placing $500 a year in a CD. If you have a catastrophic failure once every 3-5 years, you will have already saved $1500 to $2500 PLUS interest towards the repair. And most repairs, such as this one for our dishwasher, would have cost AT MOST $150 if we had hired a private repair person on our own.

I can't emphasize it enough. This company does a great job of presenting themselves as your GUARDIANS against failure, safeguarding you against the terrible unknowns which are lurking in your home just waiting to wreak havoc on your critical cash flow. They are charlatans, bordering on criminal in how they misrepresent their intent to protect you. They are in business to spend as little of the $500 you send them, and with you paying $60 every time you request a service call, they make off like bandits with exactly that - most of your hard earned money. Save, invest safely, and build your own protective cushion. But whatever you do, if I can offer you any unsolicited but sincere advice, DON'T trust this company and don't sign up and give them any of your money. You are getting ripped off and they are getting rich.

Original review: March 26, 2009

I called a service order in on my leaking kitchen faucet. AHS scheduled a technician to come out from Greenway Home Services. The technician came out and was in my house all of ten minutes, five spent on the phone trying to see if my kitchen faucet was covered and it was not. American Home Shield called later after the technician was gone (I refused to pay the sixty dollar service fee) to tell me kitchen faucets was not covered.

I received a bill from American Home Shield for the sixty dollars. I called and discussed this with a rude customer representative by the name of Andrea. I told her it was not fair for me to pay sixty dollars when I was not told the leaking kitchen faucet was not covered. I owe a sixty dollar service fee plus I had to purchase my own faucet and pay a plumber to install it.

I got 10 minutes of waiting for sixty dollars. The representative told me to read my contract. My contract says plumbing, which this was plumbing to me. I asked her when I stated leaking kitchen faucet how was that confusing to the person scheduling the service when there is no kitchen faucet under your sink with the plumbing. This was a mistake on their part and I have to pay for it.

Original review: March 26, 2009

On Feb. 16th, I had a large, flooding leak in my home. I called dispatch & reported it. The first plumber came out. Said it was a valve in toilet. Fixed it. 2 days later flooding was still occurring. Acme plumbers came out & fixed the wax seal to toilet. Both plumbers overlooked the initial problem. It was a refrigerator valve that was leaking & NEVER discovered by either plumber... So it continued to flood the home until March 2nd when Acme Plumbing finally found it. I now have $7000 damage done to my home due to the fact that the initial problem of flooding>the valve> was never found in the beginning!!

Acme has lied & said it was the toilet to cover themselves. It was not the toilet... Yesterday, March 25th, I spoke to Andrea in the legal dept, as I sent the estimate for repairs to her along with damage photos to get my home fixed. She stated, "Denied, no coverage due to secondary damage as stated in our contract." I told her that I have secondary damage due to the fact that neither plumber contracted through AHS found the real & original problem, source of the leak, the refrigerator valve. I just want my home repaired!! Thank you.

Original review: March 25, 2009

Warranty seemed like a good idea, so when purchased condo in July 2008, got AHS Warranty. Subsequent flooding of kitchen/dining area caused by leaking dishwasher caused extensive damage... floors, flooring, cabinets, etc. Called AHS. Was contacted by appliance repairman who looked at problem, told me he needed authorization to fix and left. After three days w/ no contact, phoned and was told that AHS disallowed the repair because built-in dishwasher was improperly installed! I purchased the condo & warranty in good faith. Why should I be held responsible for a system that was working properly for four months and then broke REGARDLESS of the reason? AHS is terrible. I'm glad there's a class action suit against them!

Original review: March 23, 2009

Contacted AHS to have my microwave repaired; they dispatched Piedmont Mechanical Contractors, Inc. The Piedmont Mechanical technician took the control panel off the microwave and identified that it was a broken door latch that needed to be replaced. When the technician arrived at my home, I demonstrated that the panel was fully functional, but the microwave would not turn on nor would the door open. The technician stated that he did not have parts for a Sharp microwave and asked if I could identify the company that I had previously ordered a door button from on-line.

As I was doing that in another room, the technician proceeded to dismantle the microwave and then to put the control panel back on. Upon doing this a piece was broken off the control panel and it would not reattach. He then blamed it on me stating that I had attempted to repair it myself which was absolutely NOT the truth. He then stated that he had to make a phone call, left my home, got in his truck and took off. At no point did he issue a work order, invoice or anything signifying my authorization for services or acknowledging any services rendered.

I contact both Piedmont Mechanical and AHS to file a complaint. I was told that it would be reviewed by AHS, but no one ever called to get my account of the incident that occurred. I was contacted by the individual who decided that the appeal would be denied (again without ever getting my account of the story and I had witnesses that the microwave control panel was fully functional prior to the repair tech taking it off the microwave). I was further told that AHS did not care if I had witnesses or pictures (which I did) that unless I had pictures of the tech physically breaking the microwave they would deny my appeal. Subsequently, over one month after this incident, I am being billed $55 from AHS on behalf of Piedmont Mechanical Contractors, Inc.

I have contacted Ashley, the owner Piedmont Mechanical Contractors, Inc. and he agreed on the phone to have the $55 service fee refunded but I would have to contact AHS directly to make this happen. I did so and was on hold with the rep when she called. She came back on the line and stated that Ashley of Piedmont Mechanical refused to have the service fee waived. Upon following up with Ashley he stated that he was never asked whether he agreed to waive the service fee. So now I am told by AHS that I owe them $55 for a service call which I never authorized in writing for which a work order or invoice was never issued to me by the technician who was dispatched to my home on 2/20/09. Consequences: $55 service fee as described above - no work order, no invoice ever presented by technician nor signed by me. Microwave that needed a part costing less than $10 (door latch) to be functional again now had to be totally replaced. Replacement of microwave to cost a minimum of $400 plus installation.

Original review: March 22, 2009

In October 2008 the shower valve in my bathroom broke. AHS sent Total Quality Plumbers out who sent in a request to have it replaced. The valve can not be fixed. The valve is brass and AHS would only approve to replace it with chrome. Everything else in my bathroom is brass plated. We offered to pay the difference between the brass and the chrome and AHS, refused. Said we could get chrome or nothing!! We asked them to pay the labor (which they would have to pay if the chrome was put in) and we would supply the fixture, but they refused again. When asked if we hired our own plumber would they reimburse us for the labor and they said they would pay only $53.00.

They are being unreasonable. They promise to have a supervisor or manager look in to it, but we have had no satisfactory response. We have used AHS for 3 different homes and over 20 years, they used to replace with like item and on occasion we could upgrade and pay the difference. Now they are just being ridiculous.

Original review: March 19, 2009

No hot water. Pilot light in hot water heater kept going out. After 1 month and 4 visits from AHS, the problem is still not remedied. They ordered a replacement valve from the manufacturer and installed it. Water heater did still not work. Then the plumber says that the venting of the water heater was set up wrong and that's why pilot light goes out. Well, how can that be when the unit worked fine for years?? Now I'm in battle with AHS for a 2nd opinion because they won't pay for re-venting as that is a preexisting condition. I am not a plumber but their explanation makes absolutely no sense. Think I'm being scammed by AHS.

Original review: March 18, 2009

This company is just about the worst I have ever encountered. I have been waiting more than a month for my Heating/AC unit to be repaired. It's broken as of this date, I have no heat coming from my unit. They had a company come out back in January, the person sent had no knowledge of what he was checking on, told me the unit was supposed to make exploding noise. I told the repair person find I'll let it run until it stops, the problem was it never stopped. It produced no heat, made noise, to the point my next door neighbor came over and beat on my door telling me about the noise. I called American Home Shield back in Feb. and told them the unit was not heating my home and something had to be done. They sent the same company back to check my unit, the repairman said it's the compressor. I was told it would take a couple of days for them to receive the compressor. I told the service center that I was going to have surgery and needed heat in my home.

A week later after having to be in a cold house they came back and said they installed a compressor. I was home and no one ever came to my door and let me know they had been and repaired the unit. I called and was told the unit had been repaired. I informed them that if it had that it was not working and I needed heat that I was home in bed sick. I was told that they would call the repair center back out. The temperature dropped to 19 degrees, it was some of the coldest nights we had in SC, and I had no heat and not one person called or came by to repair my unit. I even called the repair center and talked with the repairman and he said he could come by and he never came. I had to sleep in my home under my electric blanket with socks and layers of clothing on to keep warn. I called American Home Shield and begged for help, no one even bother to call me back. I called them again the next week and was told that the company that had come out had to be sent back and that there was nothing they could do.

The repair service is incompetent, but AHS insist on recalling them back to look at the system. They came out last Thursday. I was told the compressor was bad that they would have to order another one, that a lot of the compressors they received from AHS were bad. It's been a week and I still don't have heat. I was told by the repairman that AHS would not let them replace a unit, that they would have to cut parts out and pcs mill the unit. What kind of service is this? I pay AHS every month for service, yet I'm not receiving service. I'm a single senior citizen and I have taken out this insurance to protect me in case of a big expensive repair. This is a horrible hardship and great expense. No one living in American should have to go through this, when they have paid for insurance to protect this from happening. This company needs to be closed.

Original review: March 17, 2009

My water heater began to leak on 3/12/09 so I called American Home Shield on 3/13/09. Representative was courteous and scheduled a company. The first company never contacted me, so I contacted them and they advised they were not able to get out until Wednesday of next week. So I called American Home Shield back as an emergency request. A company, Gennaro's Plumbing, Inc., had scheduled with me the next day. An older gentleman came the next day and within minutes ending of time blocked. He glanced at the heater during the same time asking for the $55 payment, stated the heater needs to be replaced and will submit the claim today. He was out so quick; he left his personal beautiful writing pen.

The next day, another plumbing service called and came out - not knowing it’s a different company. Told us the first claim was denied based info submitted on the claim. Second plumber came out and advised the first plumber claim denial was untrue because the diagnosis he gave does not happen to copper pipes which our home has. However, he was unable to fix the water heater without out of pocket expense for us. He advised us to dispute the claim, and they would back up this untrue statement submitted by the first plumber. They have been taking my money for 14 years. Consequences: I still have a leaky water heater and having to keep pan empty by dumping when I leave home; the water has to shutoff.

Original review: March 17, 2009

We have had numerous problems with old faucet fixtures leaking whenever used, coming loose from their "attachment". We had problems with showers and nothing is covered under the plan the sellers purchased. With the plumbing fixtures, they refused to replace corroded old fixtures and we paid the $55 co-pay to have a plumber come out and "tighten" it. We complained that the fixture leaked. Well, they make the fixture or buy it or install it so they can't cover it. We complained that the kitchen sink fixture is constantly coming loose and needs tightening. We're concerned that possibly when installed, washers weren't used, so then the excuse is that as long as it works, they can't do anything... not even disassemble and check for washers or incorrect screws.

The electric fan/light in one bath is missing parts, but no, they can't deal with it as it was "pre-existing". A cabinet in the kitchen was falling off the wall. No, they didn't install it. We have paid for our own carpenter and plumbers and have located an electrician. Save your money for repairs as this company is worthless. We will not renew. There is always a reason not to cover something...

Original review: March 12, 2009

I bought my home in March of '06 with a home warranty as part of the sale package. In Aug. '06, I called American Home Shield because my air conditioner was not cooling properly. The temperature outside was in the upper 90's and 100's for several days. My thermostat would not read below 82 degrees. I called AHS about the problem and they had a heating/cooling company called Precision Heating/Cooling call me to set up an appointment. They came that day at approx. 5pm. The service tech told me that he topped off the system with freon and he recommended the unit be cleaned. He also said that the unit just couldn't keep up with the heat. Cleaning the condenser coil might help. He left. The system started cooling better. When cold weather got here, I noticed that the thermostat indicated that the emergency heat was on every time the heat came on, heat strips I think they are called. My power bills were very high.

The next spring, when I turned on the air conditioning, it was not cooling properly again. I was not sure what to do because I did not really think the original problem was properly taken care of the past summer. I called American Home Shield again and was told my warranty had run out. It had expired in early March and I called in mid-March. I told them that I didn't think the problem was fixed last summer and the lady told me that they had paid a claim on my warranty. I told her they had not paid a claim. She said the Heating/Cooling co. had filed a claim about replacing a shredder (schrader?) valve. I told her there was nothing about that on my paperwork and read her what was printed by the service tech. There was nothing they could do since the warranty was expired.

I called Precision soon after and was told they would call me back after checking with the service tech "David" because he was on vacation. I never got a call back. I am extremely disappointed with both companies and I believe I was ripped off by both companies. I ended up having to pay $2,700 to have a new system in April. I was told by the new Heating/Cooling company that the old system was totally shot and had many repairs done on it through the years. I have received many offers from this warranty company to renew my contract and wouldn't touch them with a 10-foot pole! I did receive a notice of the class action lawsuit and I hope that if they are found guilty of wrongdoing that they have to pay for it.

Original review: March 12, 2009

I read many bad experiences that people had with American Home Shield. We had one but other than that, they've been great. The one we had involved an Air Conditioning/Electrical Company. The technicians were really hard sell sales people who came in, told us it wasn't covered then suggested expensive solutions. We fell for it once. After that, we had a pool pump problem and same company came out to tell us it was a lightning strike and it wasn't covered. My husband told him to handover the pool pump and get out of our house before he throws him out. We called AHS back, they apologized, sent a reputable pool company out and they fixed the problem in 10 minutes, not a lightning strike.

Again, we had another problem with our A/C, sent the same company out and told us that whoever serviced it the last time didn't know what they were doing... it was the company he worked for. Again, my husband kicked him out and we called AHS back. They sent another very honest, very nice company called Air Flow and we've requested them ever since and on top of it, we also buy our maintenance of the unit from them every year. I put the other company on the ban list from our home and they've noted it in our file every year, "DO NOT SEND such and such company." Well, I've called them again today. My 13-year old unit is blowing hot air, so stay tuned... They are sending Air Flow again. If it is unfixable, supposedly they have to replace it. Let's see if I become one of the complainants.

Original review: March 12, 2009

You are billing my credit card and I never signed-up for any services from your company. I have called my credit card company and I am having your charge removed from my statement. Please stop billing me and credit me for any previous charges you may have billed.

Original review: March 11, 2009

On March 1, 2009, my microwave started emitting fire inside the unit. I thought I had left foil paper on my baked potato. I opened the microwave, took out the potato and searched for foil paper. Didn't find any. I put the potato back in the microwave and the same thing happened but this time even more fire sparks shot out from the microwave and lots of smoke. I thought it was going to blow up. Okay, so I called American Home Shield and reported just what I said above and they sent out a technician that said, "I don't know how to work on this type of microwave." Come on people, this is not rocket scientist stuff if you are a well qualified technician. So he left out the door and called AHS to let them know he does not know how to do his job. Duh! Beavis.

AHS sent out a guy from Sears that has been doing this for 16 years and he called in to make his recommendation to the repair of the microwave and guess what, yes, you got it. The idiot on the other end that has not seen the microwave and denies part of the repair. The transformer and the fuse blew in the microwave but he will only authorize those two pieces to be replaced. I'm thinking, what about the other components connected directly to the transformer? Seems to me those should be replaced too. So now, I have to wait until the two parts are delivered by UPS and the Sears technician gets to come back on March 19, 2009. Then I get to use or not use the microwave until it really blows up. Some people do not know their you-know-what from a hole in the ground.

Original review: March 9, 2009

During my contract time from 2006 – 2008, I had approximately six service requests. Of the six service calls, only one was completed without further issues. In addition, another client that I had referred to AHS had several issues with a repair that they had submitted to AHS. The repair was not done properly and caused flooding and damage to their home. It then resulted in legal counsel and them cancelling their policy with AHS in order to get someone else to complete the repair. It was at that time that I questioned renewing policy. My decision was finalized when I learned that there was a class action lawsuit again AHS for unethical business practices. My renewal was due in August 2008.

I received a letter in the mail requesting my renewal which at that time I did not respond. I was not renewing my policy with AHS. I was notified this Saturday, March 7, 2009, by a collection agency that there was a balance due to AHS. After investigating how this could be, I found that AHS conducted an auto renew without my authorization and had charged my bank account $41.67 per month for August, September and October of 2008. They were unable to continue to charge my account due to my debit card expiring. I contacted AHS on March 9, 2009 at 3:00pm and was told that there was nothing they could do for me. They put me on auto renew after my first year expired (which I had to call to renew for the second year). I asked them if they could retroactively cancel the policy and would not comply.

Original review: March 9, 2009

I am a senior citizen trying to live on a fixed income. I have had a contract at this house with American Home Shield for 17 years and at two homes previously. I was devastated when AHS informed me MY costs to replace a 40 gallon water heater would be $775! After five days with no hot water and numerous calls, I requested a cash out which is only $275. One of the things I learned when pricing water heaters and installation is that instead of the $150 for permits quoted by AHS in their replacement costs, it is only $35. I have recommended AHS to many people over the years and am truly sorry now that I did.

Original review: March 9, 2009

The hot water tank was not producing hot water. There was no leaking, just no hot water. I called American Home Shield and they said they would send someone out but not till the following Tuesday. I was calling them on a Friday. I asked if I could bring in a local plumber who had already agreed to be at the house in one hour. AHS said no since the plumber they had under contract was responding within the time frame of the contract with AHS. I called the local plumber who came out in the one hour time frame, charged me $75.00 for the visit. Not much different than the anticipated AHS contract charge. Bottom line, the thermostats on the tank were not functioning properly and the water tank was still covered by the manufacturer for parts. AHS has definitely lost a customer.

Original review: March 8, 2009

I contacted American Home Shield in December or January about problems with my bathtub faucet, water heater and basement sink. It took a while for the repairs to occur for the bathtub faucet and basement sink after inspection, but it was done. I was still having problems with the water heater and another technician was sent to the home. He replaced a part, but I continued to have water leakage from the water heater and the pilot light continues to go out every so often. I reported this to American Home Shield and another technician was sent to the home. I was told that he could not find anything wrong with the water heater.

I emailed photos showing that it had leaked and was told that the technician needed to actually see it leaking while inspecting it. I told Kimberly, who is the representative for AHS, that I called as soon as possible and the offices were closed. I need to have the problem resolved and I was told there is nothing that can be done without the technician actually seeing the pilot light out and water flowing. I told Kimberly this is not possible if no one comes out right away and the offices are closed. They seem to think because the leaking stopped, that it solves the problem. But it doesn't because it keeps occurring. Also, the company AHS used for the inspection is called Choice Plumbing. Please help. Thank you.

Original review: March 8, 2009

I've had American Home Shield for at least 2 years. In 2008, I discovered my oven was not working. I called American Home Shield and reported it. They sent the information to a contractor. So I set up an appointment with them. They discovered I needed a new part. They returned later and replaced the part and the oven still didn't work. However, I reported it to AHS. They sent the same back and this guy had such a bad attitude and stated that he would report it to AHS for them to send another company out.

We didn't hear from AHS. Since I didn't use my oven much, I didn't think about it for a while. In January of this year 2009, I reported it again to AHS and they contacted Artis Maintenance. The representative stated they would meet me between 6:00 pm and 7:00 pm; however, he didn't show up until 9:00 pm. I reported it to AHS and the representative did not say anything. Okay, Artis Maintenance specialist said that the part would be ordered within 3 days. However, I did not hear from them until 2 weeks later. I called them to find out if they had received the part and if it came. They did not get my message. I set up an appointment for that Thursday in January between the hours of 5:00 pm to 7:00 pm and they did not show up.

So I called AHS and reported it. I was off work that following Monday and asked if they could come out that Monday and the representative stated they were booked and it was impossible so I asked if they could be there that Saturday and she said they were booked on that day and she suggested that I could get AHS to get another company to come out and repair the oven. I called AHS that following Monday and asked if they could do this and the representative stated she would find out and call me back. However, she never called back so I called them. They stated they don't work like that and that they would work with Artis Maintenance to reschedule the appointment so they did set it up again for that Thursday at 6:00 pm, March 5, 2009.

Guess what? They did not show up again. So I called AHS again and asked to speak with the manager. When he got on the phone, it sounded just like the representative that I had spoken with earlier. He stated that he would call Artis Maintenance and see what happened. I told him that I really did not want to deal with that company anymore and asked if they could send another company to do the repair and he stated they could not do this because they would have to reorder the part and the part they ordered they would have to put it on the shelf and I would have to pay for the part being on the shelf. He had a very, very bad attitude and I told him they don't care about their customers at all and I pay a monthly fee to them for nothing and I stated that I wanted my service fee of $55 back. He stated that I could not get that back and he was going to do it his way and questions about it.

Anyway, this company really doesn't need to be in business. Today is Saturday, March 7, 2009 and my oven is not working and according to the manager, I must wait until Monday to find out what the manager decided to do. My advice is, whoever you are, please do not sign-up with this company. Their service as a whole is the worst of all. Take my advice and run as far as you can from them.

Original review: March 5, 2009

Brad, an agent for A-US Air Condition of Texas, Ltd., came to my house on 3 March 2009 at the recommendation of ACH, to see why my A/C stopped working (the Honeywell thermostat model number T8011R showed no readings, and the AC/heat would not come on).

After going into the attic and looking at the circuit breaker box, he concluded that inside the box, the circuit breakers were loose. He took my $60.00 and left after advising me that this was an electrical problem and he would refer it back to ACH for assignment of an electrician. My thoughts are if I called about an electrical problem, they (ACH) should have sent a qualified electrician rather than a HANDYMAN with general electrical skills.

The next day, I was contacted by ALL PURPOSE ELECTRIC/Deryck **/**/Cell **/FAX ** at ** Canyon Lake, TX 78133. They came and looked at the circuit breaker box, and concluded it was not grounded properly and that the wire used was improper so it melted the circuit breakers. Now the box and rewiring the box with proper wire would be needed to correct the problem at a cost of $500. Total amount at this point is $560. Upon contacting ACH for authorization to repair, ACH contacted me (Authorization Agent on 6 March 2009). I was advised by the ACH Authorization Agent that they would not pay for any of the repairs because the circuit breaker box was improperly installed (per the input provided to the ACH Authorization Agent from ALL PURPOSE ELECTRIC Agents). Therefore, I, the homeowner, would have to pay all the cost: $500 for repair, and the $60 fee. This just did not add up to me, since my house is only four years old (built in 2005 by Plute). I requested a form to dispute ACH's non-payment of this claim, and was provided only with a telephone number to register my complaint (1-877-489-8329).

I called the ACH agent to voice my complaint and was advised by Ed ** (another Authorization Agent) that I could get a second opinion at the cost of an additional $60.00. However, if the second electrician came up with the same opinion, I would have to pay the full cost of repair. The situation was, I had to wait when they (ACH) could schedule the second opinion. Therefore, my A/C was not fixed. The ACH Authorization Agent stated I need not meet emergency conditions, according to ACH guidelines. The temperature in Texas runs above 90 degrees in San Antonio/Cibolo. The ACH agent stated his weather stated the temperature is in the 80s, and therefore, I was not authorized for emergency service. At the conclusion, the agent stated I could voice a complaint with the home office president if I was not satisfied with the service provided and the conclusions made regarding my issue. He provided the name and address of the ACH home office president. I will write a letter of concern to the president.

This situation really concerns me because this is the second issue I have had with ACH. The other matter is they refused to pay for a garage door service I had made about three months ago. In that case, they refused to reimburse me because I did not contact them prior to having the service made. I have only been with ACH for one/two years, but my experience with them gave me an indication on why the United Service Automobile Association (USAA) of San Antonio, TX does not indorse them for homeowners policy anymore. They have failed to render any services and honor any claims. Their main objective to me is to see how many claims they can deny.

Original review: March 5, 2009

I reported my refrigerator malfunction to AHS who referred repair to West Coast Chief Repair in Los Angeles. I was given the diagnosis of a bad compressor due to dusty coils which, of course, was denied due to a deferred maintenance dust loophole, which I may have believed if my husband was not such a nutcase who personally dusts the refrigerator coils on a monthly basis. Another company pointed out that since my Sub Zero refrigerator runs both the freezer and refrigerator from the same condenser coils, that both the freezer and refrigerator should be compromised if the dusty coils were the problem. This is not the case. The freezer is running like new. Interestingly, West Coast keeps calling to see if they can do the repair privately for $1200. It sounds like conflict of interest and/or a setup to me.

American Home Shield gave no service and I am left with a refrigerator that does not work that West Coast continues to offer to fix for $1200. American Home Shield offered to give me another opinion if I was willing to pay another $60 service call but then reneged because of too much time passing. The second opinion game only rubs salt into the wound because you get to pay another $60 for more non-service. We already experienced this issue with an even worse scenario on our furnace a couple years ago but that is another story. Bottom line. American Home Shied is a consumer fraud company and we will not be signing another one of their worthless contracts.

Issues I have had with American Home Shield:

-AC problems at my home in Mount Pleasant, Texas. The repairman that came out said the condenser needed replacing and that he had to order a new unit. It took two months and several calls from me before he showed up to replace the unit. When he arrived, he had ordered the wrong unit and had to reorder it. It took another six weeks before he actually replaced the unit. No AC for about 4 months.

- Leak in a water heater at my home in Denton, Texas. The repairman came out and said the temperature was too high and that the unit was okay. A short time later, my wife came home to a flooded room. The same repairman came out and said that the water heater needed replacing. Really! It needed replacing the first time he came out. He gave a quote for the none-covered charges, which were about twice the cost of replacing a water heater. I requested that AHS send a second repairman and was told they did not send second repairmen out. I then requested quotes from three other repair companies. All three quotes came in lower than the AHS quote for just the none-covered items. The three quotes I received included a water heater and installation. Interesting how other companies can buy a water heater, install it, and bring everything up to code for less than an AHS repairman can bring things up to code. I ended up not using AHS for the replacement and paid for the replacement of the water heater myself and still paid less than if I used my AHS warranty. This was a big savings to AHS as I paid to replace something that I had been paying a home warranty on for a number of years. Not such a savings to me.

-The blower motor went out in the furnace at my home in Denton, Texas, and again I called AHS to service an appliance since I was still paying for a home warranty. Again, AHS sent me a repairman that I do not believe is honest or trustworthy. He quoted to AHS charges of $1620 on none-covered items. In the breakdown of charges was $875 to dispose of the old unit, which anyone that has ever replaced a furnace knows is bogus. I didn't argue the point. I just asked if I could dispose of the unit myself. AHS told me it was up to Ron's Appliance and AC service. When I called Ron's, they said sure, but quickly added another $800 in charges and stated that it was for labor of the none-covered items. I called back to AHS and was told that his original quote did include labor. AHS stated they would get with Ron's and then back to me.

I did not hear back from AHS but, several days later, did hear from Ron's, and he said that they were going to replace the blower. I told him that I needed to talk to AHS before that could happen, so I called back to AHS. Again, I was told that Ron's quote did include labor but that AHS needed to call Ron's to see what was going on. Well, when AHS called Ron's, suddenly the none-covered charges were back up to around $1500. I then asked AHS to provide me with a breakdown of the non-covered items, which I still have not received. I requested a quote from a different AC service provider and received a quote of about $1500 more than Ron's wanted to charge for the none covered charges. I then asked AHS for a buyout so I could use the repairman of my choice. They offered me $620 for the buyout and stated that this included the price of the furnace and the labor to install it.

Original review: March 5, 2009

I purchased my new home in February 2008 and my microwave stopped working in December of that year. It was one of the home appliances covered under my homeowners 10-Year Home Warranty program from the above company. I first contacted American Home Shield Corporation (AHS) on January 9, 2009, to file a claim for repair. As of this date (3-4-09), I am still awaiting repair of my microwave. Next Monday (3-9-09), it will have been 2 months waiting for parts to arrive at AHS (and for them to contact a local electrical company in Augusta, Georgia, to fix this appliance).

Earlier in this process (after approximately 6 weeks), I was initially given a cash settlement offer of $244.00, in lieu of waiting for parts and repair from a local company. As I did not want to purchase a new appliance myself (and consequently pay for an electrician to install it), I declined that offer at that time. In hindsight, if I had known that AHS is apparently a "non-responsive" Home Warranty Company, I probably should have taken them up on this offer.

When I called yesterday 4-4-09 (Tuesday) to check on the status of my microwave repair parts, the AHS contact person could not reach their Purchasing Department, nor could she tell me what was happening, as no information had been placed into the computer (regarding an updated status of repair parts). I was told that I would be contacted by AHS later that day, either at my home telephone or on my mobile phone. When I got home and saw that no message had been forthcoming, I then called AHS a second time, at approximately 7:00pm EST. I received a very courteous and apologetic AHS contact person, who apologized for placing me on hold, to again call their Purchasing Department. After some 3-4 minutes, my hold status was terminated and I was hearing the initial electronic welcome to American Home Shield Corporation format. Rather than call a third time that day, I elected to drive home and try the next day. No representative from AHS called me back that night (either on my home or mobile phones)!

When I called today (3-4-09), I was told that I could not ask for a refund, as parts had already been ordered, per Purchasing Department. I then asked to speak with a supervisor, who confirmed that since parts were on order, AHS could not offer a refund at this time. This supervisor (a Ms. **) re-assured me that repair parts are scheduled to arrive on Monday (3-9-09) at that she will call me back to confirm this.

I recently became aware that AHS has recently signed a Preliminary Consent Decree with the Superior Court of the State of California for the County of San Diego - Case No: 37-2007-0007125-CU-BT-Cts - Plaintiffs Karon and L. B. Chip Edelson, on behalf of themselves and all other similarly situated versus American Home Shield of California, Inc., American Home Shield Corporation and DOES 1-20 - Signed by Judge Steven R. Denton, Presiding, dated 12-31-2008/ This Court is awaiting comments from all plaintiffs, with comment period ending 3-31-09.

Apparently, I am not the only plaintiff still running into problems with AHS and its apparent lack of customer focus, as noted above. The company does not return phone calls, in my experience, but AHS changed its bumper music while being put on hold and continuing to receive assurances that "Your time is important to them" and that they will be promptly back on the line to attend to your questions.

As of now, my microwave still does not work. I will be contacting Clark Howard before next Monday to see if I can change my Home Owners Insurance Company, after my microwave IS repaired.

American Home Shield Company Information