4.3/5 (11760 ratings)
Author picture
Written by Kathryn Parkman
Edited by Jon Bortin

About American Home Shield

American Home Shield is a home warranty company with over 1.8 million customers. It provides home service contracts that cover major home systems and appliances and offers additional protection for electronics and select maintenance services. The company has access to a network of over 17,000 licensed contractors and has paid out over $2 billion in claims over the past five years.

Pros

• 30-day workmanship guarantee
    • Flexible payment options
    • Does not require maintenance records

Cons

• Not available in Alaska
    • Some customer service complaints

Bottom Line

American Home Shield offers three warranty plans to cover systems and appliances, regardless of age. AHS provides additional coverage for electronics, pools or spas, and roof leak repairs.

American Home Shield Reviews

Over 50k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Shield?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Shield?

Original review: Jan. 25, 2013

I am a real estate agent and have recommended AHS to numerous clients per my broker. I bought my own house in May and being that it was built in 1970 decided after a few months I should go ahead and use the service myself. I signed up right after Christmas, starting the new year out right. My contract went into effect on January 8. Around January 14th, after the furnace had been working hard with the cold temperatures we had been having, it stopped heating good. I diagnosed it myself by the code that was emitted on the furnace. I knew it was something to do with it not getting enough power to the blower.

I called AHS and scheduled a service call. That day, I had a local company contact me and we set up the appointment for the next morning. The technician couldn't get any response from the heater. He came back the next day after getting some info from AHS and determined it was the control board that talks to the motor. He showed me the 2 spots that were burned out basically. A day or two later, he called and said AHS won't cover it due to the inability to determine if the unit was working prior to his visit. Excuse me? Why would I have called a service call in if it could be determined that it was working? This is the verbiage AHS stated the technician gave them: When unit is turned on, there is no response. So this unit would not have passed a simple test of turning itself on. Found a variable speed blower motor and the module that controls the speed failed.

According to AHS, that verbiage makes me fall under #1. Coverage only includes the items stated as covered, excluding all others and is subject to the limitations, exclusions and provisions stated in this contract. “d. Undetectable pre-existing conditions which are defects or mechanical failures that could not have been detected by a visual inspection and/or simple mechanical test. A visual inspection of the covered item verifies that it appears structurally intact and without damage or missing parts that would indicate inoperability. A simple mechanical test is defined as turning the item on and off to ensure that it is operational. While turned on, the item should operate without causing damage, irregular sounds, smoke or other abnormal outcomes."

If AHS wants not to cover items that can't be determined if they had a pre-existing condition or not, then it seems to me, as with life insurance, an initial inspection should be done. Otherwise, this company looks like it is just using any old excuse to not cover an item. Terrible, terrible customer service. I tried to get to research as another negative experience stated and I was told I couldn't get there unless it was put in the system that way. But I was put in as denial; therefore, I couldn't get anyone to speak with me. I got an address for Corporate Headquarters in Carroll, Iowa and was told that I could put it to the attention of Complaints or Legal Department. No thanks to any of you, Tara in Memphis, Tennessee, Jackie in GA (she was not allowed to tell me what city in GA), and Delphine in Memphis Customer Relations Associate. I did at least cancel today and get them to refund the 1 month I paid. I will never recommend this company again to any homebuyers or sellers and not only will I not recommend, but I would tell people to stay away.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2013

My family had just moved, had two very sick babies and it was a couple of days before Christmas. Just a few notes: I had a deep plumbing blockage, so they sent their plumber (AtoZ Plumbing and AC) that took my $60 deductible. They damaged my brand new sink (I only lived in the house for a week) and he didn't fix the problem. So we called AHS back and AHS said they would send another plumbing company. The next plumbing company could not be there until a whole week later. I told AHS that was unacceptable, so they approved me for an emergency fix to call an outside plumber. Wow! AHS only contracts with two plumbers in the Greater Jacksonville area or does that mean only two plumbers will do business with them?!

I called around for a plumber that met AHS's guidelines, so they would cover the plumbing services. Now they will not reimburse me for the plumbing I paid for ($186) since Turner Plumbing did not contact their claims department prior to performing the service. The plumber I used said he called. I can't debate this because it is word against word. However, I believe Turner Plumbing charged a reasonable price for four hours' worth their time and they fixed the problem (with no damages). I am a consumer stuck in a hard place where the insurance company has taken advantage of a person being in a crisis! I am out $186 for plumbing cost, $60 for a deductible and a broken sink. I will not be doing business with AHS and will not be referring anyone to them in the future.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2013

This company does not provide a worthwhile service. If they were honest with the customers and lived up to what they promise to do, that would be a different story but unfortunately, IMHO they do not. Besides the fact that they are reluctant to cover a service or item, they work with rather sub-par service companies, so you get relatively poor results from the work they do. I was with AHS for about six years and each time I had a claim with very few exceptions, I had a severe hassle getting the service I needed and getting AHS to cover that service.

I will describe one situation where they were upfront and I had no hassle whatsoever. I had a ceiling fanlight fail and they came out, charged me $60, and then told me to go buy a comparable fan and they would install it. I did, let them know, and they came out the next day and installed it. It sounds like a great company to work with, no? But the problem is the new fan cost the same $60 I gave them for the service call, so I really only got the installation free from them which I recognize has value, but would not be a reason to have the $45 insurance.

Here is an instance where they ultimately delivered, but not in a timely fashion. We had a burst hot-water pipe in our attic, so we had to shut the hot water line in the entire house until the leak was fixed. They sent out a very poorly-equipped plumbing company, who took about one week to get the job done (it was a simple job of opening the wall - we knew exactly where to open it - and replacing a section of pipe). The delay was due to them not having the correct equipment for the first three times the guy came out to do the job. Once, he didn't have the right saw to open that section of wall. The next time, he didn't have a crimping tool for galvanized steel piping and the third time, he came too late in the day to see what he was doing (?!). So we went for about a week without hot water (we showered by our neighbors - ugh!). That doesn't sound like a worthwhile service to me.

Now, let me tell you about some instances where they did not deliver. I had a water heater fail, so they sent out a company to check it out, and they told me the installed heater was not done to code, and they would replace the water heater if I paid them $1,200 to upgrade to code. Well, I thought that was a bit steep (they said I had to install a sump pump and strap the new heater for earthquake safety, which I didn't think should cost $1200), so I got a few estimates, and to make a long story short, I took their cash-out option ($550), and I got a new water heater, installed to code, with a sump pump and earthquake-safety strapping, all for $900 (which means I paid a net $350 for what AHS wanted $1200 for). Sounds like somebody was trying to rip me off, no?

Another story was when my A/C compressor needed to be replaced, and they came out, charged me $60, and told me that my A/C was installed incorrectly (it was 9 inches from the house wall, and it needed to be 12 inches), which was the reason for the compressor's failure. I told them I wanted a second opinion, so they sent out another sub-par contracting company, who said that I had not done proper maintenance on the unit (they claimed the coils were dirty), which caused the failure. I fought that too, claiming that it seemed they were looking for excuses not to pay for the compressor, and the real reason for the failure was that it was seventeen years old, which is about the average life expectancy for that type of compressor. I also forwarded to them receipts showing that I had indeed serviced the unit on a regular basis, and the last service had been just a few weeks before the failure, so the coils were certainly not dirty.

I had a long arbitration process with them and I paid two independent A/C companies to come out and give their own diagnoses, which were basically that the compressor died a natural old-age death, and its replacement should be covered. In the end, they denied the claim and I dropped their service and had the unit replaced by a regular A/C company. After that, I sent them a final letter of intent, informing them that I would be taking them to small claims court for the cost of my new unit. They immediately responded, informing me that they would pay me for the compressor, which is what their maximum cash-out responsibility was, and they sent me $915. If you like doing business the way I have described above, then they're the company for you. The only reason I gave them 1 star is because you can't give zero stars!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2013

I had a sewer backup that left the bottom 3 rooms of my home flooded with water over an inch deep. I called the service number and was told they would notify a local company to unclog and siphon out water, and that American Home Shield would consider this an emergency. I would need to wait for 2 to 2.5 hours for the contractor to call back before coming out. I waited for 2 hours then called American Home Shield to advise them of no call back. The attendant checked records on my case, then told me that the company was not going to come out as the weather was bad and the roads were dangerous. We had just had 2 inches of snow and it was cold, but the highways and roads were crowded with resort visitors and locals going about daily business. We live in a mountain resort area.

I advised the attendant of this fact and requested that another vendor/contractor be called. I again would have to wait 2 to 2.5 hours for a call back. As I had already had unsatisfactory service from AHS, I began calling other local companies and quickly found one that would come and do the work for me. I did not call AHS to cancel as I wanted to see if I would get a call back. About 8 to 9 hours later, after the blockage and the siphoning of water was completed, I called AHS to check on the status of my claim. I was told that they could not find anybody to come out and do the required work. When I requested that they look at the claim I had made, they verified that AHS was considering this as an emergency.

I made the complaint that no one had called me to tell me this. I then cancelled my "dispatch" call, telling them that I had already had the problem taken care of. I wondered to this person what it would be like if I had not gone around AHS and gotten someone to come and assist me. I received the address for the complaint department. End of phone call (also, I think, my association with AHS).

Original review: Jan. 8, 2013

I've been with AHS for many years and have paid dues with credit card, without any disruption of service. I was just terminated by them, saying I've had too many complaints. My summary of their service is below average, at best. Almost each time that I had a problem, the service rep said something was not up to code and he could fix it for $$$. That happened each and every time. AHS is as corrupt as they come, and I am glad not to be with them anymore. It's a fraudulent company in every respect. Find another home warranty company. Beware!

Original review: Jan. 7, 2013

I was very happy with AHS when I first got a plan with the purchase of my new home. I had an issue with my hot water heater and they promptly sent someone out to fix it. I had the same experience with my air conditioner. However, this year, my hot water heater started leaking and they sent out a subcontractor to fix it and the guy was incredibly rude. He told me they were going to replace the hot water heater but I needed to pay $1,100 in costs that would not be covered to put in a new gas line. This sounded very fishy to me, so I called for two separate quotes from outside companies.

Just as I expected, there was absolutely no need for a new gas line. I called AHS and told them what had happened and they said, "Well, too late. The water heater had been ordered and it could not be returned," and there was no cash out option available so I would just have to pay the extra to their contractor. I filed a complaint with BBB and called on a daily basis asking to talk to a supervisor. I told them that they could just give me the hot water heater they had purchased for my home and I would have someone else put it in.

They said they couldn't do that and it would have to be their contractor. I started throwing around the thought of calling a lawyer and I was able to be transferred to a supervisor. They never called me back so I called in several more times. I finally got someone who asked if I had been assigned to Research yet. Oh, happy day! I got a Research agent who worked with me to get this resolved. They ended up allowing me to take the water heater that was ordered and I just paid to have it put in myself to avoid any other hassle.

Needless to say, I am unhappy that they did not remedy this without me having to railroad them for a month and a half. I will not be renewing my contract. I feel if I wouldn't have threatened to seek legal advice, they would have continued to tell me, "Tough luck." That is not a good way to do business. It was the subcontractor who screwed this up for them. In my opinion, I would have expected them to fire them and bend over backwards to make it right with me. That's what good customer service is.

But just as a help, ask to be assigned to Research if you have a problem like this!

Original review: Jan. 5, 2013

I have had AHS for 3 years on my new-to-me home. Generally I was satisfied on the repair and plumbing service issues. This year, they went up again on the co-pay to $75. Then my 16-year-old water heater went out. It was a high end made by State, a 40-gal 40,000-BTU with their self-cleaning swirl water filler feature. I wanted the replacement to have those key features. But, no! AHS wanted me to have the mid-line model without the self-cleaning feature. I ended up taking a cash-out option and buying the one I wanted. AHS broke out what they were covering and were fair with the service contractors (after all, they need for them to come to future jobs).

We weren't that far apart on what I felt was fair, and I knew they weren't covering retail. I don't begrudge them making an honest profit either. I just felt they didn't really care about me feeling fairly treated. I will take my business elsewhere, and they end up paying that way with lost revenue from me and anyone else I can deter from doing business with them.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2013

So my story starts in 2005. We received a one-year contract with the purchase of my townhouse. We have forced heat and air. Two to three times a year, I call AHS in to fix my furnace. There is a switch and motherboard that annually breaks. AHS keeps fixing the same thing, putting a bandaid on it and never fixes the system. When we first moved in, they installed a brand new condenser outside at no charge. Now, they will be coming tomorrow to put another motherboard in. Twice a year, I'm paying $95 for bandaids. When will they replace the system that they insured?

Well last week, I received a letter stating AHS is officially dropping us, with no explanation. So I called them and they explained that with the amount of services and costs that incurred over the years, AHS has put too much money out for my contract. The % to ratio fell outside the standard acceptable range. As of February, I'm dropped. With all of the bandaids, they should be replacing this unit. Can anyone help me?

Original review: Jan. 3, 2013

I put in a service request for dishwasher repair. The part was no longer available. AHS Appliance purchasing department took 6 weeks to find a dishwasher replacement. The dishwasher did not have all the features that the old one had and had some features I did not want. They insisted this dishwasher was the best they could do. It took 5 days for the dishwasher to get here. It has been two weeks and I am still waiting to have it installed. I called the installer they listed as coming and made an appointment with him. He never showed. I called AHS and they said he had me scheduled for that day. I told them I was not going to be home, my husband was having cancer treatment.

In the meantime, I had a 4th request within a year for repair to my water heater. I scheduled all doctor appointments around that repair person to come. I called the company and they said they also installed dishwashers. I called AHS and told them to send the order to the company repairing the water heater. They said they could not do that because they were not on their list for dishwasher installation. I asked for a supervisor or manager and they said no one was available. They would email them and ask them to call me. They would call somewhere between 24-48 hours. Eight weeks, I still have no dishwasher. One year and still I don't have a probably working water heater. Don't buy a contract from them.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2013

When I first got AHS in 2001, I loved it. It was $35/month and $30 for a service call. They came out and fixed plumbing, HVAC, electrical and dishwasher. I was very pleased being a single mother with a home.

1. Their prices have gone up, $47.67/month and $60.00 for a service call.
    2. They no longer cover all the things they used to cover.

3. The service providers are incompetent and lazy.

I needed my heat fixed. One time it took a week for the guy to get to me and then another week to fix it. Then it was not fixed right so I had to hire someone out of the phone book. Last time they would only come between 10-4, when everyone who has a job is working. So I ended up calling someone out of the phone book. Out of the last 5 service calls I have made for HVAC, I have had to call someone out of the phone book after paying $60 for the service calls. They came out and fixed my dryer twice and both times it was not fixed. I paid for two service calls. I finally called a mom and pop repair service that has been in business for decades. They came out and fixed my dryer for about $300. AHS would not reimburse me and I was out the money for the two service calls.

I ended up calling someone from the phone book for garbage disposal. They used to honor service call, but now they keep saying they no longer cover these items even though I had them fixed by them in the past. I have had AHS since August 2001 and now in January of 2013 I have decided that after having to hire outside help for things on 99% of my calls over the last 4 years, to cancel my membership. My most recent repair was $260 and as you can see, that would pay for itself in 4 months including the service call fee. So not going to pay anymore for nothing. There was a time when AHS would reimburse you if their service provider didn't do the job, but over the last few years they stopped reimbursing me for having to call outside help.

I have also learned that even though HVAC companies must be licensed to be on-call, the worker who actually comes to your home to do the work in most cases is not licensed. Right now, my HVAC system in my attic looks like the time machine on a comedy movie with the way it has been "rigged." I am ashamed to say this was done by my AHS.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2012

I am the POA for my grandmother who has dementia/Alzheimer's disease and is in an assisted living facility. I rented out her house and the tenants had a problem with the oven. I called AHS hoping they would fix it, wishful thinking huh? My first call was on 9/17/12 and a week later, we were able to get a contractor to look at the oven for the $95.00 service fee. Within a couple of weeks, he replaced something and said the oven would work fine now. No such luck. Sometime later, my tenant was calling me again because it stopped working.

By this time it was about Thanksgiving and my tenant would be without an oven because now the contractor said that the part of the oven would need to be sent out to be rebuilt and take an additional 6 weeks to fix. Uh oh! AHS has it in the contract saying they are not responsible for any delays, how slick. I also would like to mention that the money we make from renting goes towards her care and because of this waste of time and money, we're out the cost of the contract which was over $1,500.00 for 3 years and I bought a new oven for $1,250.00 - the $135.00 check they sent me because I opted out for the oven to get fixed and canceled the contract.

I also would like to mention I made a complaint to the BBB which proved to be a waste of time because it was closed quickly and not resolved anyway. And AHS of course has an A rating. I still, to this day, can't believe the horrible experience I had with AHS. From my experience and what I have read on these complaint boards, they will do anything besides replacing an appliance and do not care if you stay or go. They had no interest in working with me whatsoever! Stay clear of AHS.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2012

We had a plumbing disaster on a weekend, and AHS said they couldn't find anyone available. So they told us to use our regular plumber and they would reimburse us. Two hours later when our plumber was working on the problem, an AHS plumber called to come. When we called to tell AHS what was wrong, they said we had no authorization and they would not cover anything. Unfortunately, the reps who told us to find our own plumber didn't record that in the AHS system. This cost us $250 just for a diagnosis. Then we will have the AHS plumber do the rest of the job (for another $80+).

Original review: Dec. 29, 2012

It is impossible to retrieve your information online if you do not have your account number. It says you can enter your email which I did, and then I get a response saying that the email does not exist, even though they have used this email address for years, at least 10. I called them, tried to do the automated thing were you say your issue, and of course that does not work either. After being on hold for 20 minutes, the person reads me my email address and asks if it is correct (it is the same one I had tried to enter online). I then tell her about the issue I had with the system telling me that my email was invalid. She says, "Oh, just register as a new client (I have been with them since 2000)." Just to move forward, I started doing that and it re-asked me all the questions about my address, types of appliances, etc.

Are you kidding me? Now, you may think that I should just know my account number, but you know, I don't remember something I use maybe two times a year. I should be able to retrieve this number with my email address, as their site states, without getting an invalid response and having to waste my time explaining myself to a rep who just doesn't care. It is ridiculous. I receive emails all the time from AHS on that email account, so it made no sense that they would say it was invalid. This is not the first time I have told them about this and nothing has ever been done. But that is not all. My credit card on file had expired and I got a note saying that it was past due. This was three months ago and back then, I called and gave her all the pertinent information.

Today, I get a collection letter for $333.65 which represents all of 2013. I have always paid monthly, but you know, since I have had such a hassle even getting to someone, I told her to just pay the balance. She said that was $99 and something. She had no idea why I got a collection notice for $333. Such idiots. So, if you want to waste an hour or so (between trying online, then being on hold when you call, then trying to explain to someone who has no inkling to help you, and then writing this review), then AHS is the perfect place for you. If you prefer to do business with a company that has a decent web interface that actually works, has an automated system that actually works when you clearly state the problem, and has reps who can actually tell you the correct amount, then AHS is not the place for you.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2012

We bought our house around 2006 and were given the typical one-year warranty with the sale. We had American Home Shield before and actually had a furnace replaced several years ago with no problem. But this time, we had some problems with an outlet that kept kicking off the fridge, so they sent someone out. It wasn't an electrician, just a handyman. He said the fuse was loose in the panel and replaced it. That didn't fix the problem so another technician was sent out with a little more experience with electrical problems. He fixed something else, and of course, still no luck after he left. I ended up just replacing an outlet in the kitchen myself and the problem was solved and we were out the fee for the technician coming out.

The big problem came several months later. Our A/C unit stopped working in July, and they sent out a tech to look at it. He determined he could not repair it or replace it because he saw evidence that it was not properly maintained over the years. He told me that the unit itself was supposed to be cleaned yearly with a special type of chemical and some other things I don't remember at this time. We ended up paying over $2,000 out of our pocket to have a new unit installed. And of course as soon as we could, we cancelled our warranty.

I was happy to see the letter I got several months ago about the class action lawsuit and that we could resubmit our claim for review. I actually had high hopes that we would finally get some justice. Well that was very short-lived once it became clear to me that they were the ones reviewing the claims, and of course, they denied it again.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2012

After many years of being covered by AHS, I received a letter stating that my contract would not be renewed at the end of its expiration date. No reason was given nor was a reason given when I called to inquire. That's not exactly the type of customer service that I expected from a company whose services I have had for so many years! Nor is it the customer service that I expected from a company to which I had sent so many customers via my real estate business.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2012

My washing machine broke in October. A technician was sent out to repair it and he had to order a new belt, which would take a week to arrive. He returned to put on the belt. The machine worked but sounded like it was going to blast off to the moon. After 3 loads, it broke again. I called AHS and the repairman returned. Now it was a problem with the transmission and would take 2 weeks arrive (how is it arriving? Wagon train?). He returned to replace the transmission. Oops! The rotor is corroded! He needed to order a new one. "Should be faster than before," he says. He returned a few days later. "Oh no! AHS sent the wrong transmission. I'll back." The technician has been to my home four times and my washing machine still isn't fixed. It had been nearly three months!

The AHS customer service reps gave me nothing but a runaround through the entire process. "We'll check into it. We'll get back to you" was a typical response. I didn't get attention until I sent a letter to the president of the company! I would be very careful before signing up with this company. I have been a customer for 11 years and can't believe the treatment I have received. They truly do not want to provide a replacement appliance at all costs. I have been without a washing machine for nearly 60 days and American Home Shield could care less. They will stonewall you to the point that you get so frustrated that you buy the replacement yourself. My next letter is going to the Better Business Bureau. They shouldn't be allowed to do business in this manner.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2012

We had a leak, could not get service till 25 hrs later. Plumber stated he could not get authorization from AHS. I called, got through, then the plumber spoke with AHS and because we plugged the leak, we were denied coverage. I guess if we would have let the leak go through the walls and tiles, then we would have been covered. This is the most ridiculous excuse I have ever heard of. Believe me, I am cancelling my contract with AHS and if you have a contract with them, good luck!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2012

I called American Home Shield because my downstairs heat was not working properly. They dispatched Comfort Zone. The contractor apparently had no idea what he was doing and disconnected all of the zone valves. Now, I went from having too much heat to no heat. When I called the company to dispatch another contractor, Always Air said that all the zones were disconnected and would not fix it. Now American Home Shield will not fix it and says the contractor said he did not do it. I have been a customer for 2 years and my heat worked fine in the past. They said that if I pay to have them connected, they will honor any problems. I am very angry at how they can send a contractor into my house, break my system, and not feel any remorse. I will never do business with them again.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2012

This is a rip-off company. Do not buy into their protection plans. I've been an AHS customer for four years with only one service call and it was addressed. Now after calling in to look at my current contract and to see if I need to add any additional coverage, I was given false information from a rep. about services that would be covered if I changed to a certain plan. As customers, we do not have the option to view plans online before we change or accept any plans. We are only going by what AHS rep tells us. I ended up changing my plan to get what I thought would cover some additional items in my home. Now I need some repairs and have found out that the additional items that I inquired about isn't covered after I was told when I renewed my plan that it would be covered. I've called AHS for about two days now and each rep tells me that they are sorry that I was given misleading information, but there is nothing they can do and my plan doesn't cover the service that I need.

No one is trying to assist due to the misrepresentation of their reps. They even told me that if they did add the additional coverage to my plan that I can't have that service taken care of by AHS because it wasn't included in my new plan when the issue happened. That’s not my fault it wasn’t added when I called in about having additional coverage and the rep told me it would be! The different reps have transferred me to several different departments that have no idea why I'm calling or can't even help me. When I asked to speak to management, I once was put on hold for about 10 minutes and then transferred to a company that nothing to do with AHS. Now I've called again and they said that a manager will call me back within 24-48 hours. That is a bunch of **. This is a rip off company. Do not buy into their protection plans. They have horrible service TX. I will also be filing a complaint with the BBB.

These are some of the coverage that I wanted to make sure I had: Coverage Plus Package - garage door openers. Covered: Wiring? Motor? Switches? Receiver unit? Rail/trolley assembly? Hinges? Springs? Remote transmitters. Not covered: Door or door track assemblies. I was switched to this plan (don't forget that I wasn't able to view the plan online, I only went by what the rep said) thinking that all the information would be covered that is covered on the above information. On the new plan, I have (3x # appliance plan: garage door openers. Covered: All components and parts, except. Not covered: Door or door track assemblies. When I called in on 11/28 and 11/29, the rep is stating that the information in the coverage plus package is not covered in my current plan and I specifically told the rep that I talked to when renewing my contract that I wanted to make sure all that was included in any new plan that I was getting and she said that it was. Now my springs are not covered and are needing to be replaced! AHS is stating they are not able to help me in any way!

Original review: Nov. 29, 2012

I received an AHS Warranty with my home purchase. For the last two months when I change the furnace filter, it is soaking wet. So, I called AHS and had a company come out on November 20, 2012 and look at the furnace. The service guy said the syconoid on the humidifier was stuck open and that was what was causing the problem. He then disconnected it from the system so it would not keep leaking water. On November 21st, I called AHS to see if the issue was covered, and I was told the company that came out has not sent in the problem yet. I called again on November 27th and spoke to Grace. She tried to call the company that came out to see what the issue is and also emailed them, still no reply.

I called again on November 29, 2012 and talked to Stephanie who told me it was not her job to fix the problem and it was not her job to decide what was wrong with the system. I am very mad. The company that came out was supposed to call AHS to let them know what was wrong so it can be decided what the next step is. I called AHS 3 times and the customer service is awful. They don’t follow through with getting to the root of the problem. All they want to do is tell you what is not their job to do. Then, she proceeded to tell me it was not covered. Oh really? How do you know that when you don’t even know what is wrong with the system!? I do not recommend this company. They have very poor service.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2012

Our microwave stopped working properly and was determined by the repairperson sent by American Home Shield to need replacement. First, the contract states that American Home Shield will only cover the basic functions of the appliance and not the color, dimensions, or brand. Because of this, we were offered a black or white microwave to replace a stainless steel (high-end brand name) one. We opted to upgrade in order to get the stainless steel version of the replacement, which was $50, plus a $50 fee. Then upon install, the wrong size trim kit was sent as it was too small for the micro. After waiting another week, the larger size arrived but upon install does not fit properly. The design of the trim kit has a bell shaped curve at the top which causes our cabinets above the space to no longer close. After calling customer service, they advised me that American Home Shield would not provide any remedy for this problem because it's the customer's responsibility to verify measurements. We did on the microwave, but were not provided anything about the trim kit.

Additionally, I was told that the contract specifies they do not need to replace according to the size. I was advised to modify my cabinets, which makes zero sense to do, as they are custom and this microwave could need replacing sooner rather than later; or I can try to find a trim kit of another brand that will fit, on my own dime. I'm doubtful that this will even be possible to find one that fits both microwave and cabinet space. I maintain that I had no way to know that this design was not going to work, and if it would have come properly the first time, I would have simply refused both the micro and trim kit, as it doesn't fit. My major issues with this company are that the replacement is not comparable to the existing appliance, causing the customer to pay extra for a comparable item. Then, if there's any issue whatsoever, the company will not remedy it or accept any responsibility and hide behind the language in the contract.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2012

I was a member of American Home Shield and asked for AC repairs. AHS brought in local HVAC contractor. Contractor spent one minute and stated that most of the other units in surrounding buildings have the same problem and he couldn't fix it. He also said he will not charge service fee. AHS sent me bill for $75 for contractor that stated he couldn't fix the problem. This was in mid September in Glendale, CA where the temperature was close to 100 degrees F. I called Home Shield and they didn't want to refund $75 service fee. I told them it was unfair as they can send multiple contractors that can't do the work and charge service fees for all of them? It's unbelievable that these companies can do this to hardworking Americans.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2012

I have been a customer of American Home Shield for about 11 years - way longer than I should have been. However, this year they have pulled the final straws: My washing machine was approximately one and a half, maybe 2 years old. The computerized panel board had gone out. I told AHS when I called in the order. They assigned a major department store to repair it. They didn't come out for the initial visit for weeks. Of course, it was the panel board that needed to be replaced as suspected. They had to order the part and it would take a couple of weeks to get to my house. Once it arrived, I had to call (major department store) to make an appointment to have the board installed. All in all, it took 7 weeks to get a simple repair done. The part that was shipped to my house that took a couple weeks to arrive came from Farmers Branch, TX - a distance of 30 miles from my house. I would have gladly driven to Farmers Branch to get the part to get my washer repaired.

AHS replaced the A+ (BBB rating) heating and air company they had sent out for years with a C- (BBB rating) heating and air company because the A+ company wanted to repair the systems and AHS only wanted a band-aid put on them, and that is all they would pay for. I never had a complaint when the A+ company came out. System wasn't working. Called AHS who sent out C- company. The compressor blew up in front of the repairman. There was no way he could put a band-aid on it so it had to be replaced. The compressor was replaced but not the tubing the freon goes through. All the freon leaked out because of a crack in the old tubing.

When C- company came back out, they charged me another service fee because according to them it was not the same repair. However, in talking to 4 other heating and air companies while getting bids on a new system, they told me the tubing comes with the compressor and should have been replaced along with the compressor. I am mailing my cancellation today registered and signed receipt requested before they cancel me and forget to tell me.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2012

We purchased our house in 2006, after a thorough home inspection by a certified CA home inspector. Within the year, the air conditioning unit broke and we paid a couple thousand dollars to replace the unit. Even though there was "no known defect or mechanical failure which existed at the time coverage began, the defect or mechanical failure was not known by the buyer or could not have been detectable by the buyer, seller or agent by visual inspection or by simple mechanical tests" (taken from our AHS Home Warranty Contract), American Home Shield denied coverage. The American Home Shield recommended vendor claimed that the 7-year-old system, which was working fine for 7 years, was installed incorrectly.

When we disputed the claim with AHS (and went up the chain of command), they then claimed that the recommended vendor was not authorized. A subsequent re-submission to AHS under the Faught Class Action suit was also denied, claiming incorrect installation, even though the defect or mechanical failure was not known, or could have been visibly detected by us, the inspector, the agents, etc. Due to my experience with AHS, I would never recommend them for home warranty.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2012

Why does AHS never answer any complaints? This is very worrying. Up to now, we have had 5+ years of excellent service. We have now a problem with the pool pump which they have repaired on other occasions and taken $170 extra per year for the cover. Now, we have a play on words saying it is a pool heat pump. It’s not a pump at all; it condenses the heat pumped around by the pool pump which they have just replaced the casing on because it was leaking. Why now are we not covered when they can get the item wholesale and fix it for $2,000 when it will cost me $3,500 retail? If they had asked us to contribute, we would not have objected. Perhaps, they will refund the $1,000 paid over the years. No, I forgot they don't answer complaints.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2012

Minus 10 (-10), if I could, I would have given to them. They have unprofessional low grade contractors. I had leakage from the ceiling of my utiliity room (2-story house). Expected was some plumbing issue in upstairs toilet. I called them at 5 pm on Saturday to dispatch emergency service as I had to shut down my entire house. They found contractor plumbing company named Quality Heating and Plumbing Company here in Houston, Texas. They came at 12 pm of Sunday afternoon. Plumber Jeremy cut off 10 by 10 hole in my utility room ceiling and diagnosed problem with upstairs toilet bowl. He went upstairs, pulled the toilet bowl off the floor and tore everything apart, and said he didn't have parts and couldn't do anything. I told him I could buy him parts from Lowe's or Home Depot. He got mad and said he couldn't do it and slammed door on my face and left! Can you believe it?

I called American Home Shield and CS Rep after keeping me on hold for an hour. They told me they couldn't do anything, to stop the leak right now and have to wait for the part, in a day or two. My leak is still going on and there is no supervisor there or nobody could help me while I am paying every month a premium to this pathetic company!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2012

On October 18, I requested service on my 1 1/2 year old Whirlpool Cabrio washer. It is November 20 and it is still not repaired. One contractor came out 3 times with 3 different parts - it’s still not working. Their repairman said he could not fix it. I contacted a Whirlpool certified company on my own. They came out and said I need a new washer because the repairs would be as much as a new washer. He waived his fee and left. Today, another repair company came out sent by AHS. He said he could not fix it and left. AHS would not discuss it with me, as the serviceman had not called them yet. AHS told me they would call me within 48 hours. Meantime, I do not have a working washer. I have already missed work for 4 and half days. I am an independent contractor so I have lost approximately $960 in income. How many more weeks will this go on?

Original review: Nov. 20, 2012

I called today about servicing my dishwasher. I found out the rate is now $75 a house call. The rate went from $25 to now $75 a house call! I mean, why have or continue the service? I told the lady I want the complaint department because that is a ridiculous jump.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2012

Do not use AHS. Find someone else! We have had AHS for 6 years and have a few issues (25 year old refrigerator, compressor went out and capacitor SP?) each time they fixed it at a high cost. But because they use a Central Parts Warehouse, it takes weeks to get the part and them to schedule another repairman. Therefore, I was out a fridge at Christmas for 4 weeks and their customer service laughed. The latest was their service fee increase from $60 to $75 and didn't bother to let me know for 2 months after they renewed my contract.

I found another company and have been in the process of cancelling with them for two months. They still try to charge my credit card, to which I have reported it as fraud. I needed a letter stating that my coverage with them was cancelled so the new company would pick on the date I had cancelled (continued coverage) and they still haven't mailed it. Customer service told me, "Well, that’s what happens when you cancel. We take you out of the system and we don't 'have' to do anything." I’m done with these jokers, steer clear! You'd think being part of ServiceMaster, it would at least have a better customer service relationship, hmm.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2012

I received a letter today from AHS stating that my policy will not be renewed because I have had too many claims. My claim cost the company too much money to make the repair. I have been with AHS since 2005, so that means eight long years. I never heard of anything like this before. I did not pick the company that came to my home. I do not understand why I was told that I had too many claims, since sometimes, they would have to send someone out for a second quote. I hope everyone look at their contract and cancel with them before they have the chance to your contract. I am not happy at all. Sometimes, it would take about month for a tech to come out to make the repair. Because first, they would said it was not covered. Plus when I called today, I was told I could talk to anyone about my contract being canceled and I would have to write them.

American Home Shield Company Information