2. Homeowners

4.3/5 (15078 ratings)
Get a Quote
Call Now Toll Free

About American Home Shield

American Home Shield is a home warranty company with over 1.8 million customers. It provides home service contracts that cover major home systems and appliances in 49 states. The company has access to a network of over 16,000 licensed contractors and has paid out over $2 billion in claims over the past five years.

Pros

• 30-day workmanship guarantee
    • Flexible payment options
    • Customizable coverage plans

Cons

• Not available in Alaska
    • Some customer service complaints

Bottom Line

American Home Shield offers three warranty plans to cover systems, appliances or both. It's not the cheapest option, but it comes with some extra perks. Add-on coverage is available for electronics, pools and roof leak repairs.

American Home Shield Reviews

Over 50k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Shield?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Shield?

Original review: Oct. 4, 2007

American Home Shield is at it again.... After being loyal paying customers for over eight years, we finally called upon AHS for help, but to no avail........

A Sears serviceman came to our home (per AHS request) to look at our Sears Microwave. He immediately diagnosed the problem as the Wave Guide in the unit being warped. The unit would need to be replaced. AHS classified the Wave Guide as part of the interior lining. (A part they don't cover) The technician informed them that was not true, it was a completely separate component from the lining.

They sent out the technician, he gave his diagnosis, and they went over him and made their own diagnosis in order to not cover the item. AMAZING!!!

When I called AHS to discuss why they had denied the claim, they sent me through the phone tree world to nowhere!! Several calls later and numerous conversations with arrogant, rude and uninformed customer service personel, I was advised that although the contract states exactly what is and what is not covered, some items that are not covered may not infact be listed, it's to their discretion.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2007

As a 72 year old widow, I suppose I was an easy target for American Home Shield after I purchased my condo in a new city, 100 miles from my children. One week after the closing (on July 27, 2007), the downstairs neighbor came to my door and complained of a leak coming from my condo. He assumed it was coming from my air conditioning unit. I called AHS, who sent out a repairman immediately.

That week, the temperatures hovered around 100 degrees during the day. My children became frantic, concerned for my health due to some congestive heart failure and a history of heart attack. Finally, after about 10 failed attempts to reach AHS or the repairman, my daughter contacted an established local business, who replaced the drip pan promptly, and I was able to use the AC again. I didn't mind so much that I had to pay out of my pocket for this expense, I was just relieved to have air-conditioning. However, yesterday, I received a BILL in the mail from AHS for $55!!!! They have the audacity to bill me???? Incredible!

Original review: Sept. 22, 2007

My ceiling fan broke and I requested AHS for repair. The electrician suggested that I buy a replacement fan of my choosing (since they only carry a single standard type) in case it needs replacement. So I promptly bought one. The technician came and told us that it needed replacement and installed the one I had bought. I called AHS for a replacement and was told that I cannot be reimbursed for purchases made prior to the diagnosis of the problem. I told them that I was told by their contractor to do this. They told me that that was inappropriate.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2007

Been with this company for 2 years and made the 1st call this month as my air condition was making a terrible noise. 3 days later a service man came out and said my fan was off and had cracked the top of the unit. He said he had to order parts. I paid him the $55.00 for the call. 2 hours later I received a call telling me my claim was denied as it was a pre-problem. This can not be as the house and unit is only 6 years old and I have lived in house for 4 years. I decided then to cancel my contract but was told I could not do this as my son owns the house.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2007

I am a Realtor and own several properties, I had all of these properties covered under AHS, I also purchased the policies for my real estate clients to give them ease of mind after purchasing a new home. Needless to say AHS has not stood up to any of my personal request for home repairs, I get the run around or am told that the item is not covered under AHS warranty. I am still waiting for someone to get back to me after a service call to AHS about a microwave in one of my rentals. I have now canceled all of my warranties with AHS and am embarrassed when my clents tell me of the experiences they are having with AHS.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2007

I called AHS to report that my ONE bathtub was clogged and not working. It was 100 degrees (plus)where we live in So. California, my children were starting school in a day and we needed a plumber ASAP. We explained that we lived on a hillside because after having horrible experiences with AHS in the past, we knew to preface our request with this. It seems not all plumbers, or at least those employed by AHS will go up steps with their equipment...and we live up steps. So....AHS initially made it an emergency request, however I use the word Emergency term loosely.

Apparently AHS has a different definition of an Emergency home repair than most would. According to them it means they have 24 hours to send someone, however if that someone doesn't know what they're doing or can't/doesn't fix the problem(s), AHS then has another 30 days to fix the problem. The plumber came the day after our initial call and basically shoved the stoppage in the tub down into our pipes so that the water drained out of the tub and a few hours after he left after I did a load of laundry and gave the kids a shower, it ALL clogged up again, but worse. Anything we did then (i.e. flush, brush teeth, etc.) all backed up into the tub. I called Ahs immediately who said they would call the plumber (who we already paid the $55 copay) and have him come back.

I had to pay for a NON American Home Shield Plumber to come and clear my pipes. I also had to take my children to a friend's house to shower for thier FIRST DAY of school. I paid for a service but did NOT recieve FULL service in a timely manner.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2007

I purchased the warranty based on my real estate agent's advice for my mobile home. The dryer was making unbearable squelch sounds when running, so I called the AHS. The technician came, did something, the noise stop, but on the same day, when I ran the dryer, the squelch sounds came back. I called AHS again, no one contacted me after a week, so I called again.

The service company called me back, demanded me to describe the problem, finally another technician came. He changed the drum belt, then the squelch sounds became on and off.

I called AHS again, they told me unless it's the mechanical failure, they are not going to fix it. I requested to talk to the supervisor and the rep told me that she can order a 2nd opinion, but if the outcome is the same, then they want me to pay for the service fee.

I have put up with this company long enough. It is not just wasting my money, but also my time.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2007

I had water leaking under sink. AHS told me to cut off the water, it was not an emergency, and wait from a Thursday to a Monday (4 days) without a kitchen sink.

I called a plumber who came right out . Now I am seeking $538 in reimbursement from AHS.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2007

I have had AHS for the past 3 years. I have been having problems with my a/c. They had a contracter come out and all he did was look around. He never removed anything to see what was making my a/c leak inside my home. He emailed AHS the report saying a pvc pipe was to small and they could not fix the problem my a/c unit.

I had a contracter of my own come out and he found that my drip pan and coils were not good, due to wear and tear. After paying them $789.43, I called AHS back to let them know and basicly they said there was nothing they could do!

Original review: Aug. 22, 2007

My problem with AHS is not with their arranging for service providers to repair deficiencies but rather their website (www.ahsservice.com). I found, as I was trying to submit a service request through their website that my personal information, including my unpublished telephone number, was readily available to any one by simply entering my street address and Zip code.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2007

I am on day 16 of a repair call for my air conditioner. It is a compressor for a Trane air conditioner. Sounds like an easy one, but not for AHS. They take several days for every piece of the puzzle. And all you will hear is this is within guidelines.

My house has been at 82 degrees overnight and 89 during the day for 16 days and counting. I can't sleep in my own bed or cook in my own kitchen.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2007

AHS has denied a claim to replace our AC unit because it is "dirty and has moss growing on it". It's an outdoor unit that is 25 years old! It is dirty, but there is no moss on the unit itself. There is moss growing around the pad it is on.

I have insured this unit for 15 years. The AHS rep said the malfunction is due to no maintenance, but does not tell me what he means. I think this outdoor unit looks pretty good to be 25 years old, and a 5th grader could tell you that it is dirty and rusted because it is old, not poorly maintained.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2007

We had a home warranty through Amercian Home Shield for almost three years. Our air conditioning stopped cooling on two occasions, and though we experienced difficulties in dealing with AHS, ultimately the repairs were made and we paid the service fees.

Three weeks ago, the air conditioning stopped working again. An AHS contractor came out and told us he could not touch the unit because AHS did not cover our type of system and AHS agreed. I called AHS and told them they had already paid for two repairs. They indicated it was a problem with their contractors, not them. I cancelled the policy that day and requested a refund of my premium.

That same day, we had our own contractor respond. He informed us the other contractor was wrong and we did not have the type of system he said we had, therefore AHS should cover it. He made the repairs and we paid him.

AHS sent another contractor and confirmed our system should have been covered. However, because I cancelled the policy with them hours earlier, they would not cover the repairs. AHS didn't want to consider the fact that it was one of their own contractors who had mistakenly identified our system.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2007

My sewer became significantly blocked. Service on the weekend was refused because AHS stated it was not an emergency. I considered it an emergency and had the repair made at a cost of $850. I used a company I choose and not of AHS choosing.

Next I was sent a bill for $55. I have no idea what this bill is for since I did not use AHS.

Note: I checked with plumbers and they informed me there was NOT an extra charge for service on a weekend!

Original review: Aug. 13, 2007

This company who has been sent out by American Home Sheild has been out to fix the air numerous times. Everytime they come out they find a part that needs to be fixed and will solve the problem, however they have replaced almost every part on the a/c unit and have yet to fix it. I usually get 2-3 weeks of my a/c working after they fix it, then it breaks again blowing the usual hot air. They come back out and of course it is another part that needs to be fixed.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2007

For the past 3 years I have had problems with my air conditioning unit. In the summer it blows hot air and in the winter it blows cold air. I have had it fixed numerous times and it will work for about three weeks before breaking again. The terms of my contract state if the appliance can not be fixed it will be replaced, well they have replaced almost every part and it has yet to be fixed!

I have paid numerous service fees of $55. The last time they were out the part that needed to be replaced was $225.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2007

My dishwasher's central nozzle unit was broken and in pieces. I cleaned the dishes out; discarded the broken parts and called AHS.

The tech reported back that the parts were not there and the manager at AHS told me that they don't cover missing parts.

I told him the parts were missing because they were in pieces and discarded. I also told him that my contract doesn't inform me to save broken parts.

He said for all he knows, they could have never been there! Can you believe it? With all of the money I paid them, I could have bought two dishwashers by now.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2007

I requested service for an AC unit that stopped working. The AHS tech said we failed to maintain the unit. After he spoke with AHS he offered to do the work directly and quoted $2,800 to fix the problem.

I became suspicious so I called another technician, who I paid directly, for a second opinion. He agreed that the compressor was bad and needed to be replaced but disagreed that it was a result of poor maintenance.

In the end, I spent $507 to put in the new compressor and to repair what the AHS technician also said was a leak in the freon line. I called AHS, but they denied my request for reimbursement, saying it was over 30 days from the time I placed the claim.

I have cancelled my coverage, but I am still very upset.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2007

I have been a customer of AHS for many years with no major claim. For the first time we had a water heater that leaked and caused damage, so we filed a service request. Finally, after three days and many hours of waiting, a technician came from 70 miles away.

He spent an hour on the phone and then AHS called me to confirm that they WOULD COVER replacement of the water heater tank and the labor, but that I would have to pay them for the disposal of the old tank. I mentioned to him that the city garbage would pick up discarded water heaters. An hour later two different persons called me to say that the coverage was denied... each time with a different reason. The bottom line is that the Co. is not anxious to spend money on any claim but does collect premiums without any scruples.

The replacement of the water htr. will cost me around $1200(est). and if not taken care of immediately, could also cause thousands of $ worth of damage to the walls and interior of the house.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2007

When I got with AHS they promised that they will deliver what they promise but to my surprise, it was the opposite. We have been having problems with our A/C Unit for the past 3-4 years and every time we call AHS they always seems to try to get out of not sending someone. At the time when the A/C Unit started going out I had a 3 year old with asthma and yet they took over 3 days to send someone out to fix the AC Unit. To this day, I have to keep calling them with the same problem and all they do is send someone out to put a band-aid on it until it breaks down again.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2007

I had the air conditioning fail in my townhome on the hottest day of the year in Phoenix (117 degrees). I was on hold 20 minutes, then as I tried again later another 15 minutes. The temperature inside my townhome reached 125 degrees and was un-livable. My tenants renting it couldn't bear it any longer and left...and in Phoenix, having someone live without air conditioning in 125 degrees is criminal. Landlords have been arrested for less.

I had no choice but to call out someone to replace the unit and 3500 dollars later, it was done within 3 days. I never could reach anyone at American Home Shield and when I finally did, they said it would be a couple days before they could send anyone (!), after the fact. I reminded them their contract with me states that they will replace my air conditioning unit in case of failure and I told them I expect them to honor this...they of course denied my claim, stating I didn't try to reach them.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2007

We purchased a house that came with a home warranty. In mid-June we turned on our air conditioning. It worked for about 6 hours then froze up. We called the number in the booklet, they sent someone that determined that the inside unit was broken beyond repair. He reported that to the AHS. After 2 weeks of not hearing anything we called AHS, they were getting a 2nd opinion. So another day of no work waiting for a repairman that confirmed what the 1st one said. He told AHS that you can not replace the inside unit w/o replacing the outside - they will not be compatible because the outside unit is obsolete.

I have called AHS every two days seeking resolution. Always hearing that someone in a different department is handling it. Today, August 2nd, we were told that they will replace with a like unit but since that company does not manufacture a 2 ton unit any longer they will replace with a basic model and we will need to pay for the upgrade. They will give us a basic unit that cools but if we want something suitable to the size of our home we will need to pay for it.

Original review: July 24, 2007

We have had this service with AHS for well over 10 years. The times we have attempted to use it they always find a way to get out of the repair. The most recent thing is the duct work in our attic. Our unit is 25 years old and so is the duct work. Consequently we are having condensation from dripping on the ceiling and through into the house.

The tech came out and went up there. He said the same thing, they were falling apart because of age. But when he phoned the result in to AHS he stated that the vapor barrier was torn on the ducts and AHS doesn't cover that. What do they cover on the ducts, I ask? No one can give me a straight answer except that the vapor barrier is not covered.

Original review: July 23, 2007

A/C went out over the weekend. Contacted AHS and they sent Barker Air Conditioning Service out. They determined the Fan motor was bad and would not cover due to poor maintenance. Barker A/C wants $800.00 to replace the fan motor in the attic. I asked what was expected by AHS. He said that we were to have the Fan Motor removed and cleaned once a year. I said how much is that and he said about $475.00 per cleaning!

Original review: July 15, 2007

I have subscribed to American Home Service protection for over 10 years. Most recently I attempted to have them repair an A/C problem which they have been called on to repair at least 5 times in the past. Rather than replacing a faulty unit they continue to attempt to band aid the problem by replacing individual components instead of the entire system which has now surpassed its reasonable life expectancy.

I could have replaced the entire unit with the money I have wasted on AHS and I would also have avoided exorbitant electric charges which are due in part to the deteriorating efficiency of a patched system. AHS policy of band-aiding problems to avoid appropriate replacement costs is exacerbated by the sloppy and unprofessional work of some of their repair representatives.

Original review: July 10, 2007

This all began on 5/29/07. My A/C was not functioning properly. I placed a service call and someone came out the next day. It was the condensor coil. He recommended that the unit be replaced. The condensor was replaced. shortly after that the unit stopped working. It was another condensor. That was replaced. In mid June the unit again stopped working properly. This time it was the compressor. A different company came out to give a second opinion and concurred with the first company. The compressor was out but a new unit was needed. AHS opted to replace the compressor.

Only a couple of days after the compressor was replaced it went out. Yet another service call was placed. A booster was put on the compressor and that lasted until the next morning. Another call was made. I have had it at this point,

Original review: July 2, 2007

I bought a new home and received an AHS warranty with the home. The kitchen is fairly old and small. There is a Modern Maid Cook & Clean Center there, which is about 30 years old. The oven portion broke and I called AHS. They sent over a technician, I paid my $75 deductible, and the technician said that it could be fixed, but the actual part would have to be rebuilt since it was so old. Or, as an alternative, they offered to pay me out $245. I chose to have the part rebuilt, because with the configuration of the Cook and Clean Center, I would have had to have a lot of structural work done to the kitchen so it would accommodate a normal stove that you would buy today, therefore costing me a fortune. This repair work started in April and it is now July and my oven still isn't fixed.

Original review: June 27, 2007

I have had American Homeshield warranty for about 3 years, and for 3 years I have had problems with my air conditioning system. Each time a service rep come out to my home, they only patch up the system, and a little over a month later I have to call again for service. American Home shield informed me that the only time they could replace the unit if it completely stop working. I have had enough service payments to have purchased a new system myself.

Original review: June 26, 2007

We inherited the AHS contract agreement from previous owner and have renewed for 3 years. Recently the central a/c stopped working and we called. They sent a technician who fiddled with it for about an hour and finally said it was an electrical problem.

So they sent an electrician who replaced some breakers in the box, but the a/c still did not work. So they sent the original a/c repair people back, and the technician said the problem was that the original capacitor size for the compressor was too small. AHS denied the request for replacement because they said it had been put there by someone not authorized by them.

The compressor has worked fine for almost 20 years, but AHS weaseled out of the replacement.

Original review: June 24, 2007

We have had a policy with American Home Shields from 1988 through this year. We were insured by another company for two years but came back to AHS because of its high level of professionalism and standards.

I am sorry to say that we canceled our policy this year. Coverage(s) that we have received in the past were no longer being provided. We did not change contract terms. AHS makes contradictory statements, does not stand behind its contract, and does not promptly return problem calls. There is no excuse for this.

American Home Shield Company Information