2. Homeowners

4.3/5 (15078 ratings)
Get a Quote
Call Now Toll Free

About American Home Shield

American Home Shield is a home warranty company with over 1.8 million customers. It provides home service contracts that cover major home systems and appliances in 49 states. The company has access to a network of over 16,000 licensed contractors and has paid out over $2 billion in claims over the past five years.

Pros

• 30-day workmanship guarantee
    • Flexible payment options
    • Customizable coverage plans

Cons

• Not available in Alaska
    • Some customer service complaints

Bottom Line

American Home Shield offers three warranty plans to cover systems, appliances or both. It's not the cheapest option, but it comes with some extra perks. Add-on coverage is available for electronics, pools and roof leak repairs.

Top American Home Shield Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

… They came down and assessed the problem. They determined the part that needed to be ordered and they ordered it. Then, they came back and fixed it. I wish the part could be deli...

Verified

I feel secure having something like American Home Shield and paying that monthly premium that when things happen, there's a company that is easy to deal with that's not gonna run ...

American Home Shield coverage

American Home Shield offers home warranties that cover up to 21 of the most common household systems and major appliances, regardless of their age. When a covered item breaks down from wear and tear, you pay a trade service call fee (ranging from $75 to $125, depending on your contract), and American Home Shield pays to have it repaired or replaced by a licensed, independent contractor in the company’s network.

Keep in mind that American Home Shield will not reimburse you for services performed without its prior authorization, so you must go through the proper claims process. In other words, you can’t perform repairs yourself or hire a contractor outside the company’s network without authorization.

Systems Plan
    The Systems Plan covers repairs and replacements of components and parts in 11 home systems, no matter their make, model or age:
    • Air conditioning (including ductwork)
    • Heating (including ductwork)
    • Electrical
    • Doorbells
    • Smoke detectors
    • Ceiling fans
    • Plumbing (including stoppages)
    • Water heaters
    • Garbage disposals
    • Instant hot/cold water dispensers
    • Central vacuums
    Appliance Plan
    The Appliance Plan covers repairs and replacements of components of 10 home appliances, regardless of age, make or model:
    • Refrigerators
    • Free-standing ice makers
    • Garage door openers
    • Built-in food centers
    Combo Plan
    The Combo Plan combines all covered items in the Systems and Appliance plans. The company says that over 70% of customers choose this plan.
    Optional add-on coverage
    American Home Shield lets you add on optional coverages if you purchase the Systems Plan, Appliances Plan or Combo Plan. Optional coverages include the following:
    • Guest unit
    • Pools
    • Spas
    • Septic pump
    • Well pump
    • Roof leak repairs
    • Electronics

Compare American Home Shield plans

American Home Shield offers three home warranty plans covering major appliances, systems or a combination of both. The standard AHS warranty contract is 12 months. Once you have a plan, you can get a discount when you buy coverage for another property. Customers also get discounts when they buy new air filters and appliances.

CoverageWhat it covers
    Appliance Plan10 major appliances
    Systems Plan11 major systems
    Combo Plan*21 appliances and systems

*Most popular plan

American Home Shield cost

On average, the cost of American Home Shield’s most popular coverage, the Combo Plan, is around $60 a month. American Home Shield customers typically pay monthly. Your total monthly cost will vary depending on which plan and service call fee you select. The trade service call fee is the amount you pay for each service or repair visit.

AHS lets you choose if you want your trade service fee to be $75, $100 or $125. You can select a higher trade service call fee in exchange for a lower monthly payment or a lower fee for a higher monthly payment.

American Home Shield provides free quotes after you provide your address and contact information. If you decide to cover more than one home, you can qualify for a $50 discount as long as the additional home is under 5,000 square feet. AHS customers also save on air filters and new appliances. Successfully referring a customer earns you a $25 Amazon gift card.

American Home Shield exclusions

Plans generally won’t cover routine maintenance, cosmetic defects or system or appliance upgrades. Coverage doesn’t apply if a system or appliance stops working because of misuse or abuse. It also doesn’t cover malfunctions due to lightning strikes or fire; for protection from these events, you need homeowners insurance.

Depending on your service contract’s terms, specific parts or components of a covered system or appliance could be excluded. For instance, the Systems Plan may cover toilets and related mechanisms under the plumbing section but exclude stoppages caused by collapsed, damaged or broken sewer lines outside your house’s main foundation. Garage door openers are covered, but the door and door track assemblies might not be.

AHS does cover undetectable preexisting conditions, items without maintenance records and breakdowns due to corrosion. However, it won’t pay to repair or replace something still covered by a manufacturer’s warranty or by a builder.

American Home Shield coverage limits

American Home Shield will pay up to $3,000 per system or appliance to diagnose a problem and repair or replace the covered item. A coverage limit is the maximum dollar amount a home warranty company is willing to pay out per item or per contract term.

In some cases, if the cost of diagnosis and repair or replacement of an item is above the cap, the company instead provides a cash payment. It might also offer cash if a repair isn’t possible and a replacement is not available.

American Home Shield FAQ

How do I file a claim with American Home Shield?
    You can file a claim with AHS online or by calling. Once you submit your claim, the company will contact a service contractor within 48 hours. The contractor will then contact you to schedule a service appointment. You will pay the service call fee specified in your contract for the contractor to come to your home. After the contractor makes a diagnosis, AHS decides if the issue is covered as part of your contract.
    Does American Home Shield require a home inspection?
    No, American Home Shield does not require a home inspection for a home warranty contract. You don’t have to provide maintenance records to be eligible for covered repairs, either.
    Can I cancel an American Home Shield warranty plan at any time?
    Yes, you can cancel an AHS plan at any time. Cancel in the first 30 days to receive a full refund. Cancel at any time after 30 days and receive a prorated refund for the remainder of your term; an administrative fee may apply.
    Is there a limit on repairs?
    There is no limit on the number of repairs during a contract period. However, you should check your contract for dollar limits per covered item or per term.

Is American Home Shield worth it?

Some customers choose American Home Shield when they move into an older house and aren’t sure everything is in the greatest condition, hoping to save money down the road. Others choose the company in anticipation of selling their home to avoid unexpected repair costs.

Overall, we find that American Home Shield offers good coverage at a fair rate. Prices are on the higher end of average for the industry but still pretty competitive, considering the level of coverage provided. It’s an especially smart fit if you like the idea of managing everything online.

Ultimately, whether or not buying a home warranty is worth it depends on a few factors, like the age of your appliances and systems and how willing you are to risk paying 100% out of pocket for repairs. If you still can’t decide, read about the pros and cons of home warranties next.

American Home Shield video reviews

video thumbnail
    Theophilus: My name's Theophilus and I live in Indiana. And what got me into purchasing a home warranty is because we are a family of five, we're young, and we just have a lot of things that we cherish, and it only made sense to get a home warranty to cover things if anything ever were to go wrong. When we first purchased our home, our realtor gave us many options in terms of home warranty. And I went through, I like to do my research as my wife knows, but we kept coming back to American Home Shield because they had a really fair deductible rate and it just seemed like they had a good connection to at least the people or the workers that were around me. And especially when I saw company names that I was already familiar with in my hometown. Applying for American Home Shield warranty services is really simple. If you have a smartphone or if you have access to a computer, it's as simple as logging onto the website and hitting the apply button. What I love about this process is that you can actually have someone get in touch with you really quickly. And they are very, very intuitive in terms of listing all the packages out and you can actually go through and see exactly what it is that you're going to need. Like, your needs are going to be met just by looking at what packages they offer. If you know that you have a very old home with very old electric, well, you can choose that option in one of their standard packages. Everything's listed and you can see it pretty easily. They're not hiding anything. And like I said, I love the fact that someone can contact you and you can walk through that process with them. It's a very simple and intuitive process. The people that I've worked with from American Home Shield and the people that they've contracted out are very knowledgeable. Everybody was very nice, very courteous, and very professional. One of the best experiences that I had is when our AC unit actually went out. I went online, I hit the application button to let them know that, Hey, my AC unit is out. I was already covered and within the 24 hours, I had somebody contacting me. They spoke to me about the issues. They let me know how sorry they were. And they really made me feel comfortable and they let me know that they were on my side. I didn't once think that they were just out for money or anything like that. No, they really genuinely wanted to help me. And within that 48 hours, I had somebody overnight at my house working to repair the AC unit. So it just goes to show you that trust goes a long way with a company like American Home Shield. My home warranty purchase of American Home Shield is definitely worth it. Like I said, we're a family of five and there's a lot of things that we cherish. I'm a musician. I have a lot of expensive equipment and we just happened to purchase an old home. And with old homes come a lot of different problems. And it just makes sense that I'm covered with a company like American Home Shield. They make things really easy for a busy family like us. There's no hassle, so it's definitely worth it. I recommend it to anybody out there.
    video thumbnail
    Lucky: My name is Lucky and I live in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. And the reason why I was interested in buying a home warranty was originally when I purchased my home, they offered it to me, but I declined it. And after a year or so, I realized my house being built in the mid-eighties that home warranty's probably going to be a good decision. And I'm so glad I did that about five years ago because I've used my home warranty numerous times and have saved myself so much money. I chose American Home Shield because my inspector, upon me purchasing my home, they had suggested that I should get a home warranty because my house was built in the mid-eighties. I declined that original offer and lived with myself for about a year. Until my sister-in-law said, Hey, you need to get a home warranty plan just to have as a backup, just in case something happens with your house being built in the mid-eighties. So I took her advice. Reviewed American Home Shield and all the different options you can have with different plans and I am so happy I did that. I've had my home warranty plan in effect for about five years now and have used them numerous times and grateful that I did. When I logged into the American Home Shield website, it asks specific questions about the size of your home, what it's made of, any type of special characteristics, maybe how old your roof is or what type of flooring you have. Everything was pretty much self explanatory because you just answered the questions. And once you... You pretty much learning about your house while you're answering all these questions at the same time. You're given the option to figure out what's your best plan and what would be the cost out of pocket versus how much the company would pay for if there was a something broke down. And with all the specific repairs that are in their contract, they take care of almost everything in this house from a small items, ceiling fan versus a slab leak, which I've had both. I've used both of those. And you can think that's just small minor but a new fan and having someone come and install it, that was worth it. And along with my slab leak, I had having someone have to drill a big hole in my living room floor, under a wood floor. That could have been a lot, very stressful on someone. But knowing that I had my warranty there behind me to take care of everything and glad I did. The service in dealing with the company, they have very knowledgeable representatives. They're always there to answer my questions, whether it's on the website, where you can log in and ask questions that way, or if you want to just give them a call. Before and after the repair is done, you're hearing from them, whether it's on a text message or saying the repair man is on his way. They do do follow ups and make sure that you're happy with the service. And I like doing surveys. So I'm always giving them a great shout out and everything. And all their contractors and their partners that they work with, the customer service even with them that are not entirely affiliated with the American Home Shield, but they are the repair man that come out and do the jobs, everyone's been great. They're all very, seems like they have a caring heart. They want to make sure that everything was done right, everything was done in a timely manner. They want to make sure that the customer's happy. And I've always been very pleased in dealing with American Home Shield personally, and all their affiliates. Purchasing American Home Shield and their warranty products and the warranty service that they offer, it was definitely worth it. I would do it again. I always refer them to other people, homeowners that have had their houses for many years and people that just bought a new home. I said, Hey, you make sure you get that American Home Shield the warranty service, because you might need it. You're going to need it. And it's going to definitely be worth it in the future. And you might not see an immediate problem now, but you just never know when something's going to break down. So yes, it was 100% worth it and I would do it again. And I would most likely probably do it actually, when I bought my home the same day, just to have it there. And I would keep telling people to buy this plan. You're going to use it and whether or not you have a home or not, I still tell people about my home warranty. Even people that are in an apartment somewhere, I tell them that what I have and that they, in the future, they need to get it.

American Home Shield Reviews

Over 50k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Shield?

Original review: Nov. 15, 2021

Sometime in July, I got the new contract from AHS because it was coming up in August and the price went up. So, I called them and I asked why. The guy told me that the rates of the contractors they use have gone up, so they had to go up on the price. But he said they would like to keep me as a customer, so he was going to drop my bill back down. The price was going to be 57.99 and he said he dropped it down to 50.99. And it was for the agreement from 8/26/21 to 8/25/22. Bu when I called again because I wanted to add in the electronics package, somebody told me that that information was not put in their records. I was so frustrated until it was pathetic, but I was thinking that maybe I needed to wait until August when my contract starts up again then I'd call them back.

In the meantime, I got a new bill for 56.99 again and they were saying that they didn't see where the guy I talked to had made this adjustment But I got a new contract agreement with 50.99 on it and they couldn't explain that. I then asked adding the electronic package on and they said they could add it on but I'd have to pay the whole amount and it wouldn't take effect until 2022. So, I've got to pay you this entire amount for 200 and something dollars and it wouldn't take place. So, I called back because when you call back, you get somebody different every time. I talked to this girl and she said she could add the electronic package on starting September 26th of this year and my bill was going to go to 68.99. I said that was fine. But she called me back and said she wasn't able to do that. That was a mistake and I told her that not to add the electronic package on anymore as I didn't want it.

Then, I had a claim for my hot water heater that started leaking. I called AHS and they sent this company out called Action Mechanical Services. And when they told me that was who it was going to be, I went on the Better Business Bureau to check everybody out. Action Mechanical Services had all kinds of complaints. Then, I talked to a relative of mine and she said they came to her house, and they were terrible. They didn't believe the COVID was real and they didn't want to wear any masks. So, when the guy came out here, I asked if he had a mask and he said he didn't need it. He said he had COVID and he already had his vaccination. He then looked at the hot water heater, took a picture, and was here for about five minutes. That company was awful and I don't ever want them again.

At another time, my faucet on the outside broke where my husband couldn't cut the water off. Then, the other one in the back of the house is leaking. So, I put in a claim online for the faucets. But Action Mechanical popped up as my contractor, so I called AHS and told them that I didn't want them to come. But when I called, the representative said that they don't cover our faucets outside. But I told him that my sister that lives over in Jennings, Missouri said that they fixed hers. He then told me to hold on and I could barely understand him either, but he was better that the previous rep I talked to. When he came back, he confirmed that they do not cover the faucets on the outside. So, I told him no to take that $100 out of my account because as soon as you call or place a service online, they immediately take that $100. So, they canceled the claim and they did not take the $100.

After that, I got an email from American Home Shield saying that I needed to contact them about my service request as soon as possible. So, I called and I got this young lady who I could not understand at all. She was saying that our part was going to be $800 but I didn't understand what it was for. And we went on and on until she finally said that they could just give us a pay-out. I told her to send me what they were going to pay for the hot water heater and they sent me a check for $596, which did not pay for my hot water heater. So, we went to another company and AHS said that whoever we were going to use, we got to send them their complete invoice or they'd see what they did because now, I would be covering this water heater. So, I sent that to them and they sent me the little $596 that wasn't enough to pay for the hot water heater.

I also had to call AHS when my furnace wouldn't cut on and they didn't send that Action Mechanical out. It was another company called Budget Air Conditioning Heating and Plumbing and they were really good. The ladies in the office where very professional and they had good customer service. The guy that came out said it was the motor and he put a new one in. He also put his mask on and we talked about that before they came. I asked if their technician had a mask and their rep said he did. She also said they wanted to make sure that no one in our home was sick and I told her that I'd have on a mask too. They were very nice and courteous. Everything went well and the furnace worked really well until Friday. But they put it in on November 1st and Friday was November 13th.

That Friday, the house was cold and my husband had even turned the thermostat up to 85 to get the furnace to come on but it wouldn't. So, I called AHS and they didn't charge me again. Their rep said that I wouldn't get charged $100 because this was what they called a recall. And they were going to have the same people, which is Budget Heating and Cooling. So, I'm waiting on them today.

All in all, the biggest issue I had with AHS was having several different people telling me something different about me trying to add on the electronics package and with my monthly bill. It was just so confusing. But I haven't canceled and I'm going to keep them because I have family members that have them and they haven't had any issues.

With the provider I had before, you can call your own people to come out and you have to pay for the service, then they will reimburse you for part of it. That happened with my washer. To get it fixed was going to cost $600 and they only wanted to pay 400. I don't need anything like that and wondered what would happen if I don't have all that money upfront. That was when my sister said that with American Home Shield, you pay your deductible and they send somebody out. Then they just take care of it. So, I said I was going to switch to them. Then, I talked to my sister-in-law, she has American Home Shield and she said they had to buy her a new stove and she didn't have any issues. So, that's why I went to American Home Shield and I haven't had a real issue with them yet. So far, it seems like things have been working pretty good and I would refer them to someone.

Terry,

Thanks for sharing your AHS experience. Please let us know if you need assistance in regards to your warranty.

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 4, 2021

There was water all over my floor and at first, I thought it was my air conditioner because sometimes if you don't use your air for a period of time, it gets clogged up. So, I called American Home Shield and made an appointment for my air. The techs came out. They did the work, cleaned my unit and all, and that evening, water was still coming from somewhere. I called American Home Shield back and said, "Look, this guy didn't complete the job because my floor still got water." They sent a guy from another company, and when he was checking out the air, I happened to look down by my water heater and that was when I saw where the water is. I said, "Oh, my god. The water is coming from here." So, he looked at it. He said, "This thing is old. This is no good." I said, "Well, let me call American Home Shield and have them send someone out to look at my water heater."

I called and I made another service call for them to come and look at my water heater. I was right. They sent United Air out and the tech got from underneath and said, "This is shot. It's gone." I figured it would be because it was old. He wrote the ticket up and then he said they would let American Home Shield know what was going on and American Home Shield would contact me. I had to end up calling American Home Shield to find out what was going on. I was still getting water in my floor every day.

Once I called American Home Shield, they said it was up to the contractor. They had told the contractor what they cover, which is a new heater and removing the old heater and the installation of the new one. Then to make it up to compliance, I would have to pay out of pocket to the contractor. So I said, "Okay. Well, let me call the contractor because you all are telling me what you're going to do, but you're not telling me anything about the contractor's price." They said, "Well, you have to call the contractor."

I called and talked to the contractor. He gave me a price. I told him, "Give me a couple of days to think about it, because it's quite a bit of money. Well, okay. I'm gonna have to talk it over with my husband. In the meantime, I will call American Home Shield and let them know, ask them how much time do I have to make up my mind. Because I want to go over it with my husband and all." I called them back and told them that I hadn't made a final decision, and I would get back to them. With me saying that, the gentleman that I talked to had put in a cash out slip. I never asked anybody for a cash out slip. When I didn't hear from them, I called them back the day before yesterday. I was like, "Okay. Can somebody tell me what's going on? Because I've talked to my husband, we're gonna go ahead with the contract, so I need to know what's going on." They said, "Oh, well, you requested the cash out." But I didn't request such thing.

Yesterday, I had to call American Home Shield back to find out, "Well, what's going on with the cash out? Because you're telling me I have to wait on the email from you all to decline it and tell you I'm gonna go on with the estimate and stuff that I was given. And I talked to you days ago, so it doesn't take that long to send me a damn email." The rep said, "Well, give it another 48 hours." I said, "No. I will not because my floor is wet and yours isn't." This morning, I woke up and called American Home Shield back again because I've never received anything once again from them. I talked to this young lady, and she went on and put the order through for me with United Air Temp so I can go ahead and start getting the work done. She sent them an email. The contractor was great. This guy would call me. He would update me.

I kept American Home Shield for the simple fact that I felt like in the long run, if something did happen, I'd have some protection. I just would like for them to have better response time and better communication. I'd also like them to go through the verbals when they're making this contract. If I call and I ask them, "Well, what's covered," and they tell me, "Your stove, your heater, your air, your this, your that," they should let me know, " We cover the water unit itself. But if there's any extra work beyond that, that's an out of pocket cost for you." They should not have me thinking that I'm paying them this money for a month, year after year, and then when something breaks in my house, they're gonna tell me, "Oh, we're gonna replace your water heater, and we're going to replace them to take it out and the installation cost. But any other work besides that, that's on you." What the hell am I paying them for if they didn't tell me that beforehand?

People need to know that beforehand, especially during this time going through this great pandemic. People are already stretched. People can't even afford half the things they could afford. People are out here surviving, just trying to keep a roof over their heads. American Home Shield needs to be more compassionate to their customers, instead of more compassionate for their company. Before now, I would tell people, "Oh, I think it's probably a pretty good investment." But now, I would tell them to weigh their options and look into other people that offer the same type of service and make them thoroughly go over that contract with them.

Bertha,
      Thank you for sharing your recent experiences with us. We are happy that we were able to get the issue resolved for you and we look forward to our continued business together.

Have a great day.

Original review: June 10, 2021

If you call American Home Shield, they will be responsive and get whatever vendor they've assigned to you to escalate the work order and show up faster. They may put you on hold for a while but they will get to somebody that you can't get to. However, the follow-up when something is wrong and getting something fixed is an act of God. My washing machine shreds all my clothes and it's been two and a half months. They ordered all the parts on March 25th and all but one part is in which is the plastic piece I could pop in and off myself. They won't do a partial repair on it so I'm not a happy camper about that. At what point will American Home Shield get me a new washing machine like they're supposed to? I have to hand wash everything except for my house right now.

I have two American Home Shield accounts, one for my house and one for my mother's house. On my mother's, there was a claim for a built-in microwave. My sister was there and they told my sister it couldn't be repaired and that they would replace it. I've been trying to get it replaced for a year and apparently, they went to Parts and Parts didn't think it was clear that it needed to be replaced or that the guy couldn't fix it. They never called me back and agreed to that. I've been calling them monthly for a year now. Now, they say it's too late for it. But it's like my washing machine. It's now going on three months and it's not fixed.

My mother's hot water heater blew. The guys that came out on the plumbing knew it needed another one and I've called American Home Shield twice. With the hot water heater, American Home Shield pays for the replacement but you always pay the upcharge for the plumbing and technician. I called American Home Shield yesterday and they didn't know what the quote was. They said AZ Plumbing was supposed to call me but no one's called me to give me a number or what I need to do. I called AZ Plumbing and asked. They said I had to pay the upcharge first which was $404.25. Once I paid it, they'd schedule it. I paid the money and scheduled it for Friday.

As long as you're a squeaky wheel with the contractors, then you can get service. I had the appointment scheduled for tomorrow for my AC unit between 12:00 and 4:00, and the guy called back and said, "I got you changed to 9:00 to 12:00." I said, "I can't do 9:00 to 12:00. I told you that before because I have a doctor's appointment at 8:45. There's zero chance that I can do that morning slot." He said, "Then we can get you in two weeks." I said, "No, you can't. You can give me the original slot I told you before." We finally agreed that he'd do 10:30. Tomorrow, when he comes out to fix my air conditioner, maybe I'll get lucky and they'll be able to fix it there or maybe they'll order a part then I'll be without it for a couple of weeks.

The service on American Home Shield is good but it takes a long time to get things fixed especially this year. The first time, the AC unit was broken for three weeks before they could fix it and get parts in. Then last year, it was only broken for two days before they could fix it. But they always fix it and it always costs less than buying a new unit.

The contract is well worth it financially because American Home Shield does cover all the things that are going to go wrong. There is always a service charge so you don't want to call them for something minor because the service charge is material. But generally, it's a really good value for the service. The only big problem is nobody wants to replace anything even though that's usually the easiest and probably the least cost way. For my mom's house, things would break in the house and it would be 1,400 here and 1,300 there and 1,500 there. With the hot water heater, I knew there'd be an upcharge and the upcharge is $900 to bring it to a totally different code.

American Home Shield has been very helpful whenever I've called and tried to find where things are. When I call them, they're very patient and I go through every problem I have every time I call them which these days seems to be daily. They're polite and they tell me what to do. They will track down the vendors, find them and try to escalate. If you don't like a vendor you're working with, they will switch the vendor out for you. Without exception, they do everything possible on what they're doing.

But American Home Shield probably doesn't pay their contractors that much. Their contractors may not communicate as well as they should. Some are good but most of them, you get what you pay for and they've negotiated contracts that are a good price for them. That means that you need to sit on top of the contractor that American Home Shield selects and you have to plan that it's going to take longer than if you just called somebody and did it in cash. But the differential in cost, if you want to be able to plan something and budget, is well worth it. If you have an older property, you save three to four times what the all in amount that you pay to American Home Shield. For my mom's house, it went from costing me $3,000 to $6,000 a year to something that's $75 a month plus $100 a charge. That's a much more manageable thing. I would definitely recommend American Home Shield. I have friends that have some competing services and their issues are more than mine.

American Home Shield response

We appreciate you taken time to share your warranty experience. We look forward to handling your AHS needs. Have an amazing week.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2021

B-N-K got cancelled because they said they couldn't come until Tuesday. Then American Home Shield sent out Emergency Plumbing. The guy came out, sat in the utility room, ripped out the insulation. After taking the tube pinch covers off that cover where the pilot window is under the hot water heaters, walked out to my septic tank, and said, “You got a carpet in here and there's CO2 cartridges in there,” which were not.

There were tampon dispensers and kids’ wipes that were supposed to be disposable and washable. And the long story short, he said, “You need to get your septic drained, and then I'll come back.” He thought it was a big freaking joke, and he was laughing. And then I called up and said, “Hey, I've got the company coming.” But this guy, he already marked that he closed out the account. And I was like, “What do you mean he closed it out? He didn't even do anything. He told me I gotta get my septic drained.”

So, then AHS sent out the third company. It was two nice young gentlemen. They rooted the whole house, but they didn't run the water after they did that from all the different faucets. So, we had a backup a second time. And then we called them right back. They came right back and they took care of it. And we've been good to go since. Our water heater tanks are fine. They were great. We would use them again.

I tell everyone to get a warranty with AHS. I sell warranties for a living for RVs and cars for 20 years. I’ve always used AHS as a selling tool. Because I pay 75 bucks a month and then when something goes wrong, I pay them 75. And I like being able to be able to go to work and then my wife calls and they take care of it.

Last time, I heard the first one that AHS sent out, and I was like, “Didn't they come out to my house once before?” When they put in the two hot water heaters, those guys tried charging me 550 to bring it up to code according to them. So, I had to get a second opinion, and AHS had to do a cashout. The guy came in and, for 1,400 bucks, put in two hot water heater tanks and said, “You were perfectly up to code.” If they don’t wanna do business with you, they're not happy with what AHS pays them out as retail booked hours or labor hours, then they should just not do business with AHS.

I just had a problem with the air conditioner. It's gonna be eleven below zero on Monday, that's why we're not worried about the air conditioner. But the guy came out, he said, “Your unit’s 30 years old. It keeps popping the breaker. It's probably a bad compressor. I'm gonna put in for a new AC unit.” Next thing, they went, "They're putting in for a new AC unit," and no one called me for two weeks while I was in Tampa. I was in Jacksonville, Florida. And all of a sudden, I got back. So, I went, “I don't want this to go by the wayside when it gets hot again. What? Are we gonna be screwed with no AC?” They were like, “Oh, they said you did a cashout.” I went, “What are you talking about? You guys said you were gonna put a compressor in, and I said I didn't understand why you wanna put $800, $900 in for a compressor.”

And then they want me to pay $500 for Freon, because the old units, it's expensive Freon. It's about $80 a pound. I said, “If I was gonna put 500, and you guys are gonna put 800, 900, why don't we put that towards a new unit? And I'll pay the difference and put in a brand-new unit.” Because AHS sells parts. But I didn't realize they don't sell ACs and heaters. They only sell ovens and refrigerators and dishwashers for the kitchen.

Then when I asked why they didn't cover an air conditioning unit replacement, they said because the tech from the company AHS sent out only put in for a compressor. I was like, "I'm telling you, I wouldn't lie to you guys. I've watched out for you guys and told you when my parts started working again, to cancel service and not have them come out and pay for it even though these companies were telling you guys to pay." AHS has told me in the past when it was my icemaker for the second time in one year, “Well, if the guy tells us it’s fine, we're gonna still replace it.” I was like, “Why would he tell you it's not fine? He doesn't get paid to not replace it.” So, I did what AHS told me, and I appreciate them replacing it a second time but it was still working. And he said, “Well, it's defective. It's going on and off.” I was like, “Okay. You know better than me.”

I called AHS. And they said, “Well, if you were to put in for an AC ‘cause it's 30 years old, we would’ve put in a new unit.” I called his employer. They were like, “Yeah. He just told us it needed a compressor.” I said, “I swear to God on my kid, I should get struck down right now, this guy looked at me eye to eye and said, 'You need a new AC.'” And he said, “I'm gonna put in for it, but I'm gonna tell you, they're probably gonna just give you a compressor.” And then all of a sudden, AHS said, “Well, that's all they put in, so that's all we can cover.” Meanwhile, now I don't have a compressor. And when it gets hot out here again, my AC would not work. I asked about the cashout. So, they told the company that they're not doing the compressor, and they returned the part.

I was told by AHS, they document, they will not charge me the service call. Just call when the weather breaks. Because even if he did replace the compressor, it still has to be over 50 degrees for them to charge it. And then I was also told that it's $500 to charge it. But even if I pay the charging fee and he puts the compressor, and if it’s still not fixing it because the whole system is shot, somebody said they would reimburse me the money for the $500 freon. Then I talked to the third person a day later at AHS. They were like, “Yeah. That's not accurate.” Overall, I've never had a problem until the last year or two. But other than that, we have given AHS seven grand in seven years, and they have probably paid out five grand. We're still okay with that. Maybe even they broke even.

Anthony,

Taking care of our customers is the main goal here at AHS. I am glad that you were happy with the work done. We look forward to servicing you in the future as needed. Enjoy your day.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2021

We had a funny noise coming out of our furnace. Since we heat with natural gas, I called the natural gas people. They came out and they told me those were unfamiliar sounds, so I had to call a heating and air company. So, I called Home Shield and they told me that they would have somebody, a vendor, reach out to me. That was at three o'clock in the morning and they told me that if nobody contacted me by 7:00 or 8:00 the morning, I should call them back. So I did, because the vendor that they had originally set me up with never called. Home Shield then told me that they would reach out to that vendor one more time and when they didn't get a response either, they sent out this last heating and air company. And their tech came out on the same day and the man seemed to know what he was doing.

When he arrived, the heat didn't make that sound anymore because Virginia Natural Gas told me to turn the heat off and not to turn it back on until the company came out. The tech said that the filter needed to be changed, so he changed the filter. Then, the foil wrapping around the furnace that seals the two pieces together was loose and he rewrapped that. He told me that if I heard the sound again, I should record then I should call him and he would come back to see. But he looked inside the furnace and said it was running smoothly as far as he could see.

Other than that, I'm still having one issue with my refrigerator. I called in a ticket before Thanksgiving since my refrigerator was not cooling and the icemaker was not making ice. The techs came out they fixed the icemaker, but the refrigerator was still not cooling. So, I called back the company who came out to fix the icemaker and they came back out. They ordered a part and they put the part on the refrigerator. They said to give it a day or two to see if the refrigerator starts to cool with the new part.

When it didn't cool down like it should, I call them back and this was on December the 8th. They came back out and said they had to order another part as the other one was defective. We've been going on since then about this with the refrigerator and it's still not cooling properly. I've called the contractor that came out and they said that they're going to look in to see if the part that came a particular day was our part, but I haven't gotten any feedback from the company.

I've called Home Shield back and told them that my refrigerator is still not cooling. The company was going to order parts. And Home Shield, the last time I talked with them, they told me that the parts had been delivered and they reached out to the contractor and they didn't get an answer so they sent, I guess, a text or email and I hadn't heard anything from them yet. So I don't know what's going on with the contractor. But the refrigerator still is not fixed.

Nocona: Is there anything that you think American Home Shield could do to improve the process overall? What would you like to see them do differently to make it an easier process?

MONICA: Really, I guess it just depends on the contractor. Home Shield, they take the complaints. They get you paired up with a contractor and they text you the information who's coming out or who's supposed to be coming out and all. And now, let me tell you this. I had my washing machine to go out on me and they could not replace it because they didn't have one in stock equivalent to the one that I had. So then they sent me the check to purchase one on my own. I had to go out and purchase one on my own.

That process was fine. I would say it just depends on the vendors that they use, the contractors that they use. Like I said, for the most part, I've had a smooth, I guess, fix to my appliances, but this particular one for the my refrigerator, and this company had come out to do my washing machine too. They fixed my washing machine too. And the freezer, like I said, the icemaker’s making ice but I don't know what broke down in the refrigerator process. I don't know why they have been responding back to me. And Home Shield, they're very nice when you call them. I can't see what else they could do to make the process any easier because it’s fairly all cut and dry. [Laughs]

You call them. They take the complaint and then they set you up with contractors, whoever’s gonna come out to fix the problem. Right now, I can't say. I can't think of anything.

Nocona: If you were going to rate your overall experience with American Home Shield from one to five, a five means you'd still recommend the program for other people and a one means you're very dissatisfied with how they've handled your claims, where do you think you’d put them?

MONICA: I would give them a 5 because it's very convenient to me when something breaks down and you don't have to worry about well, who am I gonna call, looking in the phonebook or online as to who you can call to come out to fix the problem. The only thing is this particular problem with my refrigerator, the last time I call Home Shield, they said that if I didn't hear anything, to call them back, and they would move my request up the ladder, I guess, to the next level of service in the company, I guess. And I don't know if they will send somebody else out to fix the problem. I just hadn't had a chance to call them back myself because I've got other things going on [Laughs] and I'm trying to get things -- one fire put out before the other. But I would rate them as a 5 because it takes the worry out of trying to find somebody to come to fix your problem.

Nocona: Is it okay if we do share your comments as a review for American Home Shield to help people that are considering getting coverage?

MONICA: Sure. Sure. Yeah. Like I say, it takes the worry out of trying to find somebody to come to fix the problem. And you can dial a number and they can find somebody for you and send them out.

Nocona: Right. It takes out some of the legwork.

MONICA: Yes, yes. But since I'm talking to you -- I don't know if you know or not -- but if I can't get in touch with the people that are coming out now or did come out, will they send my request to another company to have them to come out? I don't know what the problem is. I don't know if the person is sick.

Nocona: I think there is a time limit on it. But I think you should definitely call customer service back at American Home Shield and let them know that you haven't heard or been responded to, and that you're kind of concerned that maybe they've dropped the ball and you might need somebody else to come take care of the problem.

MONICA: Yeah. Because with the pandemic going on, you don't know whether people are sick and can’t do what they promise to do. And then too,, if they're sick, you don't really want them coming in your house. [Laughs] You don't know. But yeah, but I would give them a 5 because it takes the worry out of finding somebody for your troubles.

American Home Shield response

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: Nov. 23, 2021

My washer went out in Sep of 2021. On my dashboard the work order was closed and said possible replacement. I received a email stating they would give me $379.00 for a thousand dollar washer or they would order parts. I let them order parts and waited my 6 weeks. I called them and got nowhere with customer service. I had to call sales and told them I want out of my contract. They asked why and sent me to another department. That department was a bust and they sent me to another person. Her name was Cladia and she stated that they would have a answer in 24 hours and I would receive a phone call.

That time came and went so I called them again. Got the same basic run around until they got me to appliance replacement department. They again said they need 48 hours for an answer. I asked, "When is the drop dead time for a answer." Again I was told there is no deadline for answer. I asked if it could take another 3 or 6 months. The answer was, "Quite possible." Every time I have a repair I go through this same process. Customer service only has certain responses to questions. They cannot connect you to a supervisor. They say a supervisor will contact you in 24 hours. Twice I call back about supervisor when they don't call. The service people suck. Would highly recommend shopping elsewhere for insurance if you value customer service.

Troy,

Thanks for sharing your warranty experience. I apologize for the inconvenience we've caused you. My name is Robert and I would like to speak to you more about your claim.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2021

I had an air conditioning system leak and the contractor came in two days. I showed the service technician where the problem was. He didn't do a whole lot of diagnostic from there and fixed the problem. It was not the most impressive repair that I've seen. He cut some PVC piping and just left it in the yard without even telling me he was doing that. It's not a huge thing to address, but he could have been a little more professional about it.

Also, the repair he did in the attic was haphazard. There was a drain line from the evaporator unit that he ended up propping up with a plastic water bottle which wasn't very professional. He could've used a strap, hung it from the ceiling or supported it in some other way, but he chose not to do that. So, it felt like he was rushing and not doing a thorough job.

American Home Shield response

We are happy to know that AHS is beneficial to you. Thanks for sharing your warranty experience. Have great week.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: Nov. 22, 2021

I had a heat pump issue. When I would turn my heater on, it would blow out cold air. I called AHS to tell them about the issue and I needed somebody to service my heat pump. They referred Sevier Climate Control and the tech came. He said that all I had to do was switch some wires around. He got my heater working and it was blowing out hot air. But a day or so after that technician left, it got cold and I turned my heater on. It was doing the same thing it did prior to him coming. I took pictures of my thermostat dropping down in degrees because the house was getting colder and colder.

I called AHS again and they referred the same company to come again. But instead of coming to me right away, they came the following Monday, which was three days later from the time I called. The technician, not aware that his company had already come, told me that I'm out of Freon. I immediately texted the previous guy that came and asked if he checked the Freon. He said he did, that I was full, and that he sent me a picture. But the new guy was saying that I'm completely out of Freon and that there's damage to my unit like somebody stole my Freon. While that technician was here, he had my AC constantly running and he would not let me turn it off. And I heard something that sounded like a generator.

Then, he went upstairs in my attic drilling something. The first tech said he would talk to the guy and next thing you know, that guy in the attic gets a phone call and was rushing out of my house really fast. While he was out there talking, I noticed that there was another man with him that I had never seen come in the house. The guy said it was his service manager. He didn't know why the first tech was saying there was Freon in there because there was no Freon in there. I asked if somebody was trying to mess with my unit and the guy played on the fact that I'm thinking that. He did all this damage to it and siphoned my Freon. I contacted AHS the same day it happened and said they need to send another guy out here to see what that man did to my unit.

Instead of AHS sending somebody out right away to inspect this man's work, they kept saying they need to investigate and talk to the service guy that just came out. For three weeks, I kept getting the runaround to American Home Shield. Since this guy left, I no longer have AC and I still don't have heat and it took three weeks for them to get in the resolution. By the time they called me back, I'm speaking to two different supervisors. Their solution was I got to pay another $75 for them to send another technician out and for that technician to see that this is not normal wear and tear. I just got the house inspected. The AC works and I have Freon and stuff in order for me to get the house.

I asked why I gotta pay $75 again. I told them I had the text messages and the picture of the results from their technician originally came out and they refused. They didn't even ask me for the proof. All they're trying to do is find a way not to help me get my heat pump fixed or give me Freon. I asked them for my money back. I paid close to $2,000 to get the whole full package for them to service everything in my home and instead of me getting all my money back, they only cut me a check for $900. They got all that $2,000 minus $900 plus $75 for each technician I've called and their hidden cost for service, application fees, and all this kind of stuff too. I'm still without money to get Freon in my home.

I had the information and AHS refused to get my proof to help their customer. Also, I didn't get to talk to an American person my whole time asking for a supervisor. Nobody was an American person until it came time for me to ask for my money back. I made like nine phone calls to these people, all foreigners, and they kept saying they couldn't transfer me to a supervisor. I have to wait up to 48 hours to receive a phone call from a supervisor and half the time, I still don't get a supervisor. I get someone in the escalation team who still doesn't want to transfer me to a supervisor. I would never recommend AHS to anybody.

Latrina,

Original review: Nov. 21, 2021

My neighbor had AHS and he was telling me that any time that something broke, the job was good and it wasn't expensive. Recently, the furnace was on, but it would never cut off when it reaches a certain temperature. It would just constantly stay on. We called the technician back and he adjusted it. That was what he said he did the first time - he adjusted it. AHS is very professional and their contractors come out as soon as possible. Compared to the pandemic with everybody putting you on hold for months and months, that was very good timing.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2021

I had a toilet that was stopped up and a leaky faucet. The contractor fixed both but the communication was what bothered me. It seemed like I was pursuing them to do a follow up because nobody was calling me. When the plumber came, he fixed the toilet off the top. The faucet was a little bit more of an issue because he didn't know why it was leaking. When he figured it out, he had to get the part. He said as soon as he had the part, he would come back and fix it. For two weeks, I was the one calling asking them if they were coming back.

When American Home Shield has somebody coming out to your house, they don't set up the appointment for you. You have to call that contractor and set up the appointment yourself. Since I knew that already and when I called American Home Shield and was put on hold, I thought of going ahead and calling the plumbing company myself. When I called them, they said, "The part came in. We'll go ahead and send the plumber out to your house."

Once that call was complete, not only did the plumbing company sent me an email saying my appointment had been set up but also all of a sudden American Home Shield sent the same text and email saying somebody was coming out to my house to fix the issue. But if I hadn't called, I wouldn't have heard from anybody. American Home Shield failed me in that aspect. Also, when I called, they said the service was closed out. That was where American Home Shield slacked with me because they should have kept the call open and communicated with me to make me feel that I have not been forgotten. It shouldn't be closed out because the faucet wasn't fixed.

Lisa,

We appreciate you taking time to share your warranty experience. We look forward to handling your AHS needs. I do apologize for any inconvenience. Have an amazing week.

American Home Shield Company Information