Get a Quote

2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

1.5/5 (39 ratings)

About Allstate Auto Insurance

Allstate is an auto insurance company with a large network of agents throughout the country. It offers online quotes and provides coverage for cars, motorcycles and ATVs. You can file claims with Allstate online, and the company extends discounts for bundling multiple insurance policies.

Pros

• Coverage in all states
  • Various discount programs
  • Innovative technological resources

Cons

• Premium increases after first term
  • Ride for Hire not in all states

Bottom Line

Allstate offers standard auto coverage all throughout the U.S., as well as various discount packages. Its technology resources for drivers (e.g., Drivewise) aid in improving policyholders’ driving, which can help lower rates.

Top Allstate Auto Insurance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I have been a customer of Allstate for over 30 years.My agent Jordie ** and Assistant Dee makes sure I have the best coverage. When I had an accident, the claim was processed quic...

Verified

...after my agent retired, I started shopping around and found an Allstate agent who introduced me to a whole new world in insurance needs… Allstate's customer service has been gr...

About Allstate auto insurance

Allstate offers auto, home, renters, term life, condo, motorcycle and business insurance, as well as other coverage options. Allstate’s agents give auto policyholders personalized help and technological tools like Drivewise, and the company also offers specialty policies — e.g., classic car insurance and auto coverage for travel to Mexico.

Allstate extends its specialized packages to teen drivers, students and rideshare operators. Its policies include rewards, a safe driving bonus, accident forgiveness and new car replacement. Accident forgiveness coverage ensures a driver’s rates remain the same after an accident even if it’s their fault.

Allstate auto insurance coverage

To get a quote for Allstate’s car insurance, you’ll need to provide your name, date of birth and address, as well as the year, make and model of your vehicle. You can file a claim and track it through the client portal. You’ll pick the type of coverage you want, choosing from:

• Collision
  • Personal umbrella
  • Uninsured
  • Rental reimbursement
  • Personal injury protection

After choosing your coverage, you’ll set coverage limits and select deductibles (make sure you take your state laws into consideration). Policyholders have access to resources like Drivewise and rideshare insurance, and some qualify for price cuts including new car and multipolicy discounts.

Allstate auto insurance rates

Average Allstate car insurance rates vary from around $1,770 to $1,983 per year. You can claim new car, multipolicy or teen driver discounts, and the company rewards good drivers with points that are redeemable for gift cards, sweepstakes and daily deals.

Allstate’s accident forgiveness policy ensures your rates won’t increase after an accident even if it’s your fault, and its Deductible Rewards program takes $100 off deductibles after sign-up and a further $100 off each year for safe driving (up to $500). Its Ride for Hire rideshare program provides deductible gap coverage for damages up to $2,500 but isn’t available in every state.

Allstate auto insurance FAQ

How much does Allstate car insurance cost?
Cost depends on various factors, including the driver’s age and car model. For example, a 25-year-old driver will pay between $2,000 and $2,100, a 35-year-old driver will pay around $1,850 and a 60-year-old will pay about $1,750. The average cost per annum is $1,880.
Does Allstate have comprehensive car insurance coverage?
Yes. Its comprehensive coverage is for damage related to vandalism, hail, fallen trees, theft and other circumstances.
How far back in your driving record does Allstate look?
In most cases, Allstate checks your record up to five years prior.
How can I lower the price of my Allstate car insurance?
You should avoid getting speeding tickets, consider changing your coverage and focus on safe driving. You might qualify for bonus rewards, which reduce rates for responsible drivers. You can also get discounts for signing multiple policies, buying a new car or achieving good grades. Setting higher deductibles or parking your car in a garage will also lower your premiums.

Is Allstate car insurance good?

Allstate offers an easy-to-file claims process, and its services are available nationwide. While its rates can be a bit costly compared to competitors’, Allstate’s auto insurance is a solid option for drivers looking for convenient and accessible coverage with several policy options and flexible add-ons.

Allstate Auto Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allstate Auto Insurance?

Original review: Dec. 5, 2021

Was rear ended by an Allstate customer, police report and common sense says it was 100% their fault. Took me a month and a bunch of going back and forth with them before Allstate would even accept the claim. Kept trying to say they hadn't heard from their customer so they couldn't "verify" my claim. Yeah, her car was totaled, I'm sure she just forgot to call you.

Once they finally moved forward they tried to say all I needed was my bumper "refinished". A plastic bumper with holes and tears in it. They offered a tiny fraction of the quote I sent them from my mechanic. Which involved replacing the bumper, the underlying structure, and the rear subframe. Instead of working with me Allstate ignored me from that point on. They called my mechanic, who told them the same thing I had. In response to that they coughed up a little bit more, but still far short of the quote. In their revised estimate they added a few more parts but still insisted on refinishing the bumper. I told them no, they ignored me, and neither me nor my mechanic have heard from them since. At no point did they actually come out and look at the damage, this was all done over the phone. So now I have a damaged vehicle and will be out of pocket about $1000 to repair it. Garbage company, stay away.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2021

I have been an Allstate member for 30 years. They have never done me wrong!! Claims, houses, cars, customer service… It’s all been excellent!!! Both my local agent and the global customer service agents have always been friendly, answered my questions and been so helpful!!!

Original review: Nov. 16, 2021

Two occasions: first occasion was when Allstate didn’t want to finish my repairs on my veh when a deer jumped in front of. They waited their precious time and went over my 30 days on my rental and I just now knowing I owed a rental company. I asked several times can someone come out and do a full inspection and nothing happened. That virtual thing is not good. Allstate left me to still fix the remaining of my car and and rental I had.

2nd time is when Ed ** felt with all my information given it was either not enough or not to his standards and denied my theft claim at my home. I went through the deposition he assigned and everything. I gave him a lot of information to review. I even asked did he want to come to my home. From December to March I waited patiently to just find out today my claim was denied. I got a feeling I was ** and the deposition was **. He didn’t want to believe me or her. She is your lawyer. Why would she want to side with me. I presented my evidence and he didn’t like her judgement. Allstate is not for the people. I spent my money on allstate and I wish I never did. They need better agents and a better system. I will NEVER recommend ALLSTATE!!!!

Original review: Nov. 9, 2021

Beware of James **. Agency Fountain Hills Az. The agent did not let me know that when I purchased a boat policy it would not be refundable if I moved and cancelled before term ended, although car and home policies are refundable. Amy said it was in the "Fine Print" of the policy. Typical of Allstate. Would recommend State Farm.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2021

Rep did not have knowledge of insurance. I asked some very basic questions about my insurance. He did not know and continued to be put on hold 4 times in 15 min of conversation. I may be switching insurance. I need to have someone that has knowledge about the insurance they work for.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2021

- Allstate customer from 1994 to 2005. - Full coverage. - We were stopped at a red light. - No sound, no warning -- an uninsured driver fell asleep on his way home from work, foot pressed on gas pedal, rear-ended us at minimum 65MPH. - Impact thrust our car 50 feet forward. If there were any traffic in the intersection at that moment, we would have been car-ponged and killed for sure. - My head whiplashed against the head rest so hard that it broke out and fell behind the seat. I blacked out from the concussion. My wife's whiplash was almost as bad. It's an absolutely miracle that our toddler was unharmed (save for seatbelt-burns). Thank God we only had 1 child at the time, because with the position we were hit, the other child would have been killed instantly.

- The car was so completely totaled, the only salvage-able part was the hood over the engine. Every single other part was impact-rippled and damaged, including the roof and front fenders of the car. - During the initial 90 days after the accident, we knew exactly what life felt like for arthritis-plagued 80+ year olds. We understood what the term "dull, sapping, ever-present pain" truly means. - MRIs show that I now have 2 herniated discs in my neck. My wife has 1.

- Allstate refused to respond to our claim for exactly 1 year (somehow, by law, insurance companies are allowed 365 days before they must respond) -- they responded literally hours before the deadline. - Allstate had dozens of photos of the car, had the full report of the scene of the accident, had our MRIs and chiropractor report... and their response to our claim was: "We are not convinced that your injuries were caused by this accident. We are refusing your claim."

- I could give details of the next 2 years of taking legal action against Allstate -- but the best way to summarize it would be: Instead of just paying us our insured amount (less than six figures), Allstate spent at least 3 times that amount (close to a quarter-million) in lawyer and research (dirt-digging) expenses. It's not an exaggeration to say that they went after us like an over-zealous prosecuting attorney determined to pin a manslaughter charge on a jaywalker.

- In the end? I lost my business, I had to find employment (despite my condition) that couldn't cover our bills, we lost our home... we lost everything. We had to move in with relatives, pennyless, and had to start all over. - And I still suffer from 2 herniated discs in my neck and occasional severe migraines that are triggered when I am not careful in how I position my neck, and how I position my head when I sleep.

It is said that the lowest levels of Hell are reserved for "betrayers." However, there must be level lower than that, because there is a class of inhumans that the English language has no vocabulary for that can only be described as "beyond betrayers." I propose that this class of infernal beings be titled "Allstate Claim Decision Makers and Lawyers."

Original review: Oct. 22, 2021

Family member involved in minor accident with at fault driver being an Allstate member. Even the other driver admitted that it was his fault -- he pulled out from a parked space and neglected to look for traffic. Luckily no one was hurt -- just damage to two vehicles. The accident happened almost two months ago. We have submitted documentation twice (I guess they lost it the first time) and answered all of Allstate's questions, but no reimbursement for the damage to our vehicle. Wonder if the Allstate member got his claim taken care of???? We sure didn't!

Original review: Oct. 18, 2021

Allstate says "you're in good hands." I called them for a quote for an auto policy tonight. I have a perfect driving record but did have claims last year. NONE of them were my fault. I pay about 1500.00 per year regularly. Allstate quoted me 5,100.00 for a year 520 per month for a basic Auto policy with their platinum plan. And I have NO surcharges on my record for over 25 years. STAY AWAY. THEIR PRICES ARE INSANE.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

I filed a collision claim 5 days ago and no one contacted me yet. I was able to get the claim advisor's name and number after shooting a lot of emails and making a lot of calls. She (Olivia **) did not contact me at all. She is not available to be contacted. No one is listening. I seem to be talking with walls. It's frustrating and disappointing.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2021

The windshield window cracked, and I was referred to a repair shop. After changing the windshield window four times, it still leaks. Allstate refuses to change the repair shop and thinks I should go to the same shop!! Despite several phone calls, they declined my request to talk to the supervisor.

Allstate Auto Insurance Company Information