Aetna Health Insurance

Aetna Health Insurance

3.9/5 (1981 ratings)
Find a Health Insurance partner

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

About Aetna Health Insurance

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

Aetna Health Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Aetna Health Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Aetna?

Original review: Aug. 26, 2021

Aetna Insurance has been a great help to me. I have never had any kind of problem with the insurance or anyone that I have had to speak with. They have been extremely helpful in answering all my questions, even the dumb ones. They helped me understand how everything will be going for me after being diagnosed with lung cancer. Caring, understanding and helpful. Can't get any better than that.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2020

I have Aetna Max Choice Gold with a high deductible. The good thing is that Aetna is accepted most places. But all prescriptions and non-preventive office visits are subject to deductible which means you pay the whole contracted price of the prescription or visit instead of a copay or %. Another downside is that they seem a little disorganized on the back end at times. Overall decent insurance if you have the $ to pay your deductible.

Get buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2020

The coverage has been decent. Customer service is another story. They don't know what they are talking about. I called in to find out the price of a drug that was not a formulary drug. I was quoted a price and as a result decided to use GoodRX. When I went to pick up the drug at the pharmacy the pharmacist informed me that my insurance price actually was cheaper than GoodRX. That was not what I had been told, this price was about $40 cheaper than what I was quoted. My opinion on this is quite simple. If you are the person on the phone quoting drug prices for a particular insurance plan GET YOUR INFORMATION RIGHT!!! Some of us out here are counting on that information. I was NOT HAPPY with my experience.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2020

I have been with Aetna Complete Care for over a year. It has saved my life and has kept me out of assisted living so I can live at home. With this plan I have home delivered meals, a home health nurse and aid. The plan also includes a care manager with Aetna that helps me with anything I need. I suffered 3 mini strokes in the past 5 years and had a right knee replacement back in February of this year. I was able to get in home therapy at home instead of going to the nursing facility. I am very happy with the services Aetna has and is providing me with my long term care.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2020

Aetna has a lot of pros & cons. They have a dental plan that pays back up to $1700, reimbursement for dentist. The specialist fee was only $20, with no copay for seeing your PCP. I didn’t like paying $200 for a MRI, but I needed it. Next year it’s supposed to be no charge a MRI. They also pay up to $100 for eyeglasses, and you have the option to join a gym and take advantage of the Silver Sneakers program. Not sure if I will keep them for next year, I need to see what’s being offered.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2021

They take forever to process claims/reimbursements. They will deny your claim for the smallest of details. Deductibles are extremely high. HSA spending is not worth it. Customer service is friendly but often times not helpful. It’s so bad that I’m actually considering changing jobs because the health insurance is so bad.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2021

I am a current customer and I am beyond frustrated with this insurance company. I always have to call customer service to get my medicine approved even though my doctor said it is medically necessary for me to have the medicine. Aetna also took 10 days to preauthorize my MRI & now they are denying my surgery stating it's not necessary. Currently I can't sit for more than 10 mins, I can't walk far and I have a Limp, and I can't sleep through the night because my back and knee is hurting that bad. I guess this insurance company would rather I become crippled and have to pay for insurance claims the rest of my life instead of approving my back surgery. What ever happened to Quality of Life?

Original review: Aug. 22, 2021

I have 3 denied claims that should be denied. 1. Before I started order my 1st breast pump with Aetna, I called Aetna to check if it will be covered. The Rep said yes. All I need to do was login to my account and follow the steps and order the pump through Aetna partnership. It was in April 2021. I got the pump but my claim shows "denied". I've been calling so far 5 times and the Rep kept saying it should be covered and they said will push the document again, asked me to wait 7-10 days. Still, it shows "denied" until now, which is end of August.

2. I went into labor in May 26-27, it shows "claim denied" for anesthesia (2nd claim) and pathology specialist (3rd claim). The Rep told me those were not covered because the doctors were not in network. My question to them is I was admitted to In network hospital, and during the labor process, no one told me if I want epidural, I need to pay out of pocket because the doctor who administered it wasn't part of network. The same thing as the pathology specialist, how do I know if the hospital will check the placenta which is part of the labor process and it would be done by a doctor not in network. I didn't even know if the hospital had to check the placenta until I got claim denied.

Bottom line is I was in a lot of pain during delivery, as far as I know Epidural is covered and I believe whatever procedure to follow during labor process should be covered. I've been calling and asking many times, none of them know how to respond and no one process it. Now, all I can do just keep calling and asking. See how far it will go. Aetna is a big company but unreliable one. Watch out peeps! they may said YES YOU ARE COVERED but YOU WILL GET BILLS AT THE END.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2021

My husband had an accident and was in three hospitals for a total of nine weeks. After our $3000 deductible, everything was covered 100%. This was one less thing for me to worry about while he was recovering and not working.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2021

My wife and I have recently become more physically ill at 79 years of age and so we have filed more claims with Aetna. Aetna has responded quickly and paid for much of the charges by our family physician, our eye doctor, and my urologist. I am very happy with Aetna's providing of these charges.

Aetna author review by Joseph Burns

Aetna has been providing health insurance to Connecticut residents since 1853, and today covers people in all 50 states. It is a pioneer in health care legislation and is responsible for making coverage of genetic testing and counseling an industry standard.

• Highly customizable selection of plans: Aetna allows consumers to pick and choose features such as the deductible amount, type of coverage and ability to choose a provider.

• Health insurance bundles: Consumers can easily add dental and vision insurance to their basic health insurance and can bundle insurance with other plans like life insurance.

• Large provider network: Aetna allows consumers to choose from over 587,000 doctors and 5,700 hospitals throughout the United States.

• Offers Medicare Advantage plans: Aetna offers Medicare Advantage plans.

by Joseph Burns Health Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

Aetna Health Insurance Company Information