2. Homeowners
Kirby Vacuum Cleaners

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners Reviews

4.0/5 (281 ratings)

About Kirby Vacuum Cleaners Reviews

For nearly one-hundred years, The Kirby Company has manufactured superior, American-made home cleaning systems. Kirby does not sell directly to the public but continues a long tradition of distributing its home cleaning systems through independent distributors, who are responsible for running their own businesses. Over the years, this distribution system has afforded thousands of men and women the opportunity to live the American dream of owning and operating their own businesses.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kirby Vacuum Cleaners?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kirby?

Original review: April 3, 2019

A young lady came to my door and begged me to do a demonstration. She was new here, from Arkansas and desperately needed to make her numbers. Being a single mom, I said she could clean one carpet. Then it went to hell. She then went and got a guy from her car and I was instantly uncomfortable. Then she left him there! I kept saying I needed to go get my daughter and he said she would be back soon. Three hours later he calls his supervisor and his supervisor keeps telling him to ask me questions. Finally when I agreed to hear the sales speech did the supervisor agree to come over and pick up this guy. But then I couldn't get them to leave. They made all these statements like, for just a $1 you can try it for a month. You have an entire month to return it if you don't like it.

Kirby is a family company, they want you to like the products. So desperate to get them out, I said yes, and gave them $1.50. I followed all their instructions on returning the vacuum. The vacuum doesn't even work anymore! It smells like burnt rubber and turns off after just a couple of min. The receptionist at the main office told me to return the bottom of my contract and write out why I was returning and someone would come pick up my vacuum.

After two weeks, nobody came and I called back and some visiting manager told me I signed a contract and there was nothing they would do. I told them the contract even says "oral notification of cancellation rights". He was extremely rude and basically hung up on me. From then on it has been nothing but hell. I have exhausted every resource trying to get them off my credit. The company even changed its name because it had so many complaints. The creditors call me at all hours of the weekend and talk down to me. I have called the BBB and legal aid and have no idea what else to do. I am a single mom and don't have the money to fight them in court and now my credit is ruined.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Telle, We are very concerned with your message. While The Kirby Company is not affiliated with the agreements of the distributorships, we take matters like yours very seriously. Could you please give us a call so we can further assist you? We look forward to hearing from you!

Original review: April 2, 2019

I own a Kirby and when I bought it, I wanted to buy into the idea that these vacuums are made here, by Americans and sold by the underdog that lives in my community. I paid around 1000$ for this idea believing that I was buying a superior product... I now had my Kirby for less than five years the Kirby vacuum doesn’t want to stay on anymore. I called the Kirby company to find out that Kirby is a company that manufactures vacuums, and a 1000$ vacuum made by them is only good for a 3 years warranty... Hmmm this right here shows you how much they believe in their product. I was told by the Kirby company that was normal wear and tear and Kirby referred me to a local shop so I can get it fix at my cost.

Now brace yourself, I use this vacuum in my house 3-4 a month, and I will use it maybe 2-3 times a year to detail the interior of my car, so there is no overuse here. Well when I looked for a new on/off switch for a Kirby vacuum I about pooped myself! A on/off switch is around 50$ folks and that not even installed! So we are paying 50$ for a on/off switch that can only withstand 300-500 uses?!? My light switch cost less than a 1$ and as been is use since 1968 with not issues!!

Kirby then will tell you that they will rebuilt your vacuum too! The only thing is that you have to pay for sending it, that’s a 120-140$ round trip, oh and let’s not forget the rebuilding fee which does vary depending on which system you own... mine is is 178$. So, just with these 2 charges I could buy 2 spanking new vacuums that are just as powerful if not more than the Kirby with lifetime warranties!! I hope my review can save a least one person from ever buying this waste of money of a vacuum. Kirby will need to evolve if it wants to survive, the word is out and the reviews are low! If they don’t step up and start paying attention they will lose it all.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Sebastien, While The Kirby Company is not affiliated with the agreements of the distributorships, we take reviews like this very seriously. We appreciate you sending us your feedback about your experience.

Original review: March 31, 2019

I have owned my Kirby vacuum since 2000 when I purchased it new. Yes, it is not cheap but it is worth the money if you have allergies. I still use my vacuum cleaner all the time. The vacuum has a self propelled option by clicking the foot pedal. My allergist doctor also said that it is a get vacuum for me to have due to the HEPA filter.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Allison, thank you for your awesome review! We are so happy to hear about this experience with your Kirby, and glad your also doctor gave it the stamp of approval for your allergies!

Original review: March 29, 2019

Last night around 7pm I got a knock on the door, I open and it’s a man claiming to be part of a homeowners business and he needs an honest opinion, he then asked if I consider myself an honest person which I answered yes, and he says. "Well here’s this free Glade air freshener can compliments of my company". He asks if he can do a “free quick demonstration” and I knew immediately it was a scam. I told him I was in the middle of making supper, I literally had a butter knife with butter on it, in my hand and showed it to him, to which he says he’s just the door to door person and Shawna or Shana does the demonstrations, and wants to know if I’ll STILL do the demonstration (I assume because I’m a woman and I was the only one home, he thought I was nervous at the thought of a random guy in my home) to which I said, "No. I don’t have time".

He asks for his Glade air freshener back and I told him, "No problem, I don’t use those and I was going to throw it out anyway." (Air fresheners are bad for you!!) The more I said no, the more info he gave me, he didn’t mention till my second No that he was with Kirby vacuums which my mom made the mistake of buying back in 1996 so I knew immediately he was there to sell though he claimed he wasn’t selling anything (and he wasn’t, Shana or Shawna was). He acted all surprised when I told him no to a free demonstration and said “you don’t want a free cleaning?” I said I have a Meile (spelling might be wrong) vacuum and no. And he finally left. I can’t believe door to door sales pitches are still common, watch out especially come spring and summer 'cause that’s when they come door to door the most.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi R, While The Kirby Company is not affiliated with the agreements of the distributorships, we appreciate reviews like yours that provide us with your feedback on your experience. Thank you for your time to share your feedback.

Original review: March 28, 2019

I hate Kirby. The vacuum is decent. It does do better than our Bissell did. The Sentria 2. The salesman are sneaky as all get out. They DO NOT leave unless you buy. I had this happen before years ago. Bought one. Returned it next day. This time was different. 4 yrs ago it happened again. This time. I kept it. They trick you with dust mites. The scary horror stories and pictures of nasty bugs and sicknesses you can get without it.

This vacuum is BIG, HEAVY, Clunky, and a pain in the **. If you are not very strong. This is not for you. (They will tell you it is their lightest model) You literally have to disassemble it to switch to the hose. Which is a nightmare on its own. You have to switch to go from hard floors to carpet. You have to find the right setting for your carpet height or you will smell burning rubber. Or you will see all the dirt from your carpet bouncing out of the carpet not being sucked up. We also received the "shampooing" package. No idea how to use that. Or how you can shampoo anything with the attachments you get. You do not get a "tank" for the dirty water. We also did not receive any manuals which they said would be in the box.

One problem! You can not EVER reach them. They literally have to contact you if you want any service. Their website is a nightmare. Their auto payment set up is a headache. The belt set up is horrible! It snaps easily. The customer service is awful. Our last payment is due in a week. Auto pay. Just received a phone call. Apparently we are "11 days" late. Yet... no notice and we are set on THEIR auto payment plan. It was pay today or deal with the late payment consequences.

It took 4 yrs to pay it off. Keep that in mind! The other thing. They trick you by saying you get a discount because it is "their display" model. NO. They grab a NEW vacuum each time they sell one so that they can say it is the model. So that you feel like you are getting a HUGE discount. If I could rate this negative stars...it would be NEGATIVE 5+ stars. This company is not worth the vacuum. Not worth the price. Not with the hassle or headache. Not worth the hit to your credit.

It isn't so much the salesman's fault. It is after all their job. Cannot really knock a person who is actually trying to work. But, this company is 100% garbage! If you do decide to buy a Kirby keep these things in mind. MAKE SURE YOU DECIDE AN OWNER'S MANUAL! I hope this review has helped. Whether you decide it is the vacuum for you or not. Just keep all things in mind. T.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Tiffanie, we are deeply concerned about your experience with your Kirby. While The Kirby Company is not affiliated with the agreements of the distributorships, we take these matters very seriously. If you'd like more help with your Kirby and for us to address more of these questions/concerns, we would love to assist you. Please give us a call. Thank you!

Original review: March 28, 2019

I had a lady come to my house and gave me 4 hours pitch on the great vacuum cleaner and all the things it did. I was impressed with the demonstration but I was not looking to buy a vacuum any time soon. Especially one so heavy and expensive. She kept insisting and telling me all the things that a salesman would say, and to put the icing on the cake the last thing she did was telling me that if I purchased the vacuum I was going to have my house cleaned once a month for the next five years. They would come and vacuum the house and every 6 months they would do a thorough cleaning including mattress and ceiling fans...shampooing the carpets, anything the vacuum would do. That caught my attention.

Getting too old to do this on my own, that was the bait...and believing her I acted in good faith and paid her in cash the amount of 2,000.00. Yes, naive and stupid, guess that happens when you get old. Don't know if the agreement is no longer valid, or she left the company without letting us know. The phone calls are unanswered and that is that. Perhaps my mistake besides trusting her was paying that amount of money in cash for something that was too good to be true. There were a few skipped months last year, but this year, January was skipped, and now March, no answer either and no show. The vacuum? Just another overpriced, heavy vacuum that Works well, but so many other less expensive.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Gloria, we are deeply concerned about your experience regarding a Kirby Independent Salesperson. While The Kirby Company is not affiliated with the agreements of the distributorships, we take these matters very seriously. Would you please give us a call so we can further assist you in your questions addressed in your review? We look forward to hearing from you and appreciate you reaching out! Thank you!

Original review: March 28, 2019

We just had purchased a Kirby vacuum system worth 3500 USD/13500 AED here in Dubai UAE after a grueling 4.5 hours of sales pitching from their sales agent. We had repeatedly say NO to their sales agent as we don't have money but ended up purchasing by their sales tactic of one time big time promotions etc. However after 2 hours we had thought that we made a terrible mistake by purchasing the expensive item and immediately called up their sales agent and as well email Kirby company for return. However they said that once the item is sold it could not be returned back and they were hiding under UAE the consumer law that that we can only return item if it's faulty as per signed contract.

We had filed a complaint at Dubai Economic Development Customer Protection (DED) and to make the long story short Dubai Government instructed them to cancel the contract and have the item returned. The Company rep was insisting that we had signed the contract under UAE law but gladly Dubai Government looks after the welfare of the consumer. Now item had been happily returned to them and we had vowed not to entertain sale rep from this Company. So to all UAE residents that had opted to return the item immediately lodge a complain case at DED.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Camilo, we are sorry to read about your experience regarding a Kirby Independent Salesperson while trying to return your Kirby. While The Kirby Company is not affiliated with the agreements of the distributorships, we take these matters very seriously. Thank you for providing us with this feedback on your experience.

Original review: March 28, 2019

It is so long of a story to provide details, but it is so interesting reading all of these negative reviews. I remember back in the 50s when I was a teenager, a Kirby salesman gave my dad a very difficult time when he insisted he would not buy the vacuum. Then again in the 60s one of them came to my home and tried the same gimmicks. Once again, my husband was given a very bad time when he insisted he was not going to buy that vacuum. Then jump to the 90s. I was living alone after my divorce, and I got snookered!

I finally purchased a vacuum. What a mistake. The first pitch was that a friend of mine sent them to me because she was asking them to clean the carpet in one of my rooms as a gift. I thought that was a bit odd, since I really didn't know her that well, but they came in and "cleaned" the carpet. Lousy job. I bought the shampooer to go with it, and that shampooer was worthless. Then I realized that I had purchased a used vacuum, probably one that had been used many times for demonstrations. I know. I've always been a bit gullible. I went through hell trying to get some compensation. I finally gave the vacuum to the local Salvation Army store. This company has been using these tactics for YEARS!! And I have been warning people about them ever since! NO VACUUM CLEANER IS WORTH OVER $2,000!

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Elizabeth, While The Kirby Company is not affiliated with the agreements of the distributorships, we greatly appreciate your feedback on your experience. Thank you again for reaching out and providing feedback on your experience.

Original review: March 24, 2019

A lady was in the neighborhood passing out fliers stating she was new in neighborhood, moved in around the corner and started a new carpet cleaning business in the area and asked if we wanted our carpet cleaned for free. Stated she made a deal with the city (as a new vendor) to clean 50 carpets. Given I have pets, I said Yes. An hour later she showed back up and dropped off a guy with 2 boxes. I assumed he had the carpet cleaning tools in there. He came in, introduced himself and started assembling a vacuum, by Kirby. Maurice was his name. I said "Oh that's the catch".

I allowed him to show me the product. He explained the product detail and demonstrated all its functions as he was putting together. He did a full demo and he actually did a GREAT job. Had he had been the original person I interacted with, I would've bought the vacuum. The product itself was worth having, just not for $1800. I was very close to swiping my credit card...then I read reviews...and seen I could buy it on eBay for $900. I really like the product but the price point is high. That said, the sales lady Hannah needs more training, honesty training.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Debra, While The Kirby Company is not affiliated with the agreements of the distributorships, we greatly apprecaite your feedback on your experience. Thank you again for reaching out and providing your experience.

Original review: March 21, 2019

One day I was working out in my garage when my daughter comes to the garage and says a lady is outside. I walked over to the door and she said she has her own business. Shampooing carpets. She said, "Can I have someone come in and show you how good this machine works? We will do it for free". I said, "What is the catch?" And she said, "Nothing." I said, "Do you Guys clean car carpets?" And she said, "Yes." She also told me that they were going to shampoo my stairs, upstairs, my car for free. I said ok. So I went back to work out and they came over 15 minutes later and as I was resuming my workout they were waiting for me inside my house to finish. I told my kids, "Let them clean the carpets for free. I don't need to be there. And boy did I make a mistake by letting them in.

The presentation took like 3 hours. The guy was very pushy saying things like, "Can you afford 99 a month," I said no and he said, "Well if the rent went up here 99 bucks would you move?" I said yes. He was also saying, "Who cleans your house?" I said I do. He said, "Then It’s your choice whether you buy this vacuum and not your husband's." I said, "Actually it is. We make decisions together." I told him I hate pushy sales people. He cleaned a little stain on my carpet upstairs and that was it. He handed me the application and I told him I wasn’t buying anything. He said, "Help us. Win a trip to SF." I said, "What do I win?" He said we win a trip. He ran my husband's credit and my credit and I told him we don’t want our credit ran because we are trying to buy a house and now it’s on both our credits.

The vacuum is nice and it cleans really well. I ended up buying the vacuum but he took the box it was in and I thought I was going to get a brand new never used vacuum and I didn’t. He gave me the used vacuum from other houses that people didn’t want to buy and I didn’t even notice until a few days later. I have always known Kirby Vacuums to be heavy which is really annoying. I received 2 wood floor cleaners but no shampoo for the carpets and I had to buy some on the Kirby website. It took about 1 month to receive.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Angelica, we are concerned with the experience you experienced with an independent distributor. Could you please give us a call so we can gather more information to further investigate and assist you? We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: March 18, 2019

After reading other reviews about the Kirby company I was so happy I didn't fall for misleading sale pitch at the end. It was a Sunday, my husband and I was relaxing watching TV. A lady knocked on the door and promised that she wasn't here to sell anything. She was an intern and needed to ask some questions about Glade air freshener. I'm not sure why I opened the door but next thing I know she was in my house.

She says, "We're just going to show you something and at the end you tell us a yes or no..." Ok. Well here comes a guy with this damn vacuum... says he wants to clean our floors. Um ok, knock yourself out. HE WAS HERE FOR 5 HOURS! Our only day we have together as a family, and he would not leave! My husband left and stayed in the bedroom throughout presentation after the gentleman won't take no for an answer. He told me all this awesome stuff this vacuum can do and "how dirty my house is" "you don't want your family breathing this stuff in" making me feel like my housekeeping was a failure. I told the gentleman we really couldn't afford it and I couldn't justify to my husband spending that much on something like this. Well he got down to $40.00 per month full cost $999. I didn't buy vacuum and I'm so happy especially after reading all the the reviews. Please don't let anyone from this company in your home.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Jennifer, we are concerned with the experience you experienced with an independent distributor. Could you please give us a call so we can gather more information to further investigate? We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: March 16, 2019

Salesman stayed at my house way too long but of course it was to break me down. I bought the machine months ago and have only used it twice. I hate it and of course now I'm stuck with it. Way too much work in switching everything around. Complete buyers remorse! Should never have let him in my house and definitely should not have let him take my reliable Hoover. This machine is extremely heavy and does not have the ease of use the salesman said it does. I can't say enough how angry I am with myself that I paid so much money for something I'll never use. Of course I can't return it since it's longer than 3 days so I am stuck with it.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Diane, we would love to help you understand and use your Kirby system more so you get the best use for it in your home. Please give us a call so we can further assist you. We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: March 13, 2019

This is long... But so was my stupid meeting with this man. First off, I want to preface that I did NOT purchase a Kirby vacuum, but I had a less than comfortable experience with the salesman that came to my door. Not less that 10 minutes after I got home from work, I got a knock on my door and it was a woman. She asked me how I was doing, told me her name and that she was asking neighbors questions. She asked if I have received a gift today and handed me a trial size of hand sanitizer. I took it and she immediately walked out of my door, saying she was going to let her boss know that I was willing to talk to them. I was confused, but continued. She came back with a gentleman that had two large boxes. They both walked in and the woman said that she was going to let him talk to me because he was much better at it. Okayyy, whatever I guess.

So he starts unboxing and asking if I have heard of Kirby, I say yes I have somewhere but cannot recall where. He explains how long they have been around, asks me what kind of vacuum I have and continues on about his "demo". Mind you, I had no idea this was going to happen, they just sort of rushed me, but it was my fault for letting them in.

He makes a lot of small talk while taking all of these pieces out and assembling them. Speaking to my 5 year old son, talking about and showing me pictures of his daughter, asking what I do for work and saying he was in the military and had been overseas, blah blah... So he finally gets it all put together and has me use my vacuum then goes over it with his. I kid you not... This man vacuumed just about everything he could! Hardwood, carpet, ceiling, bed, pillow, stairs, windows, drapes, blinds, lightbulbs... Talked to me about shampooing, cleaning and waxing my car, being a snow and leaf blower, HE SAID IT ALL!

We finally get to talking about the price and he starts off with saying it would be $61/month for 36 months. I do some math and realize that is almost $2200 (that is after I get the military discount and am not nor do I know anyone in it, the police discount and am definitely not affiliated with police, the homeowner discount which I told him I am renting, as well as discounted for turning my other vacuum in). I'll admit, it was an impressive piece of equipment... But that much for a vacuum just did not sit well with me. He then said he could get it lowered three to four different times. I told him that I wanted to talk to my boyfriend before making that large of a purchase. He asked who does the cleaning me or him, who would pay for it me or him, and just made me quite uncomfortable.

After TWO HOURS, I finally got him out of my house and let him know my boyfriend would be home in about an hour (which I lied about) and I would talk to him and give him a call. He even offered to wait on my porch... How nice of him... NOT! I was finally able to relax after a long day of work (or so I thought), and got in the shower. AS SOON AS I got out, he was knocking at my door again, saying his boss lowered the price and didn't want me to miss this because he just really doesn't want me using my old one anymore and it's a great deal. I told him, again, I wanted to wait. He said when will my BF be back, I said I don't know. I also told him that I wanted to research the reviews and would call him when I could purchase, even if it means I miss the deal.

Another 30 mins goes by and he is KNOCKING AT MY DOOR AGAIN saying they lowered the offer even more. He said I could just start the paperwork so that I do not miss the deal, and decide upon it later. Plus, there was a two week return policy. I was intrigued, I admit. So I mistakenly let him in again to talk through his offer. First thing he said when he sat down was... "So I just want to make sure you are ready because once you sign here, it is yours and you own it." I said, "Sooo I don't have time to think about it?" He said no. Not sure what changed in those three seconds, smh! He also said he wanted to check on the return policy to make sure it was two weeks. Lord.

He "calls" his "boss" to talk through what they can do for me and the final offer they presented me was the full price would be $1099. He was literally repeating what someone on the phone said, verbatim, pausing after every 2-3 words. It was so awkward. At this point, I am getting online and checking reviews and he is still talking and asking me questions... He repeats whatever I say back to the OZ on the phone and comes back with another choppy response. I am absolutely not buying at this point. He asks what I am looking for online and I tell him reviews, prices, etc. He tells me that if I find any online it is likely stolen. LOL, right.

I start standing up to try to get him out and he is still sitting down... I tell him I need to wait for my BF to see this if I am going to be paying $1100 and he still tries to weasel me into it! I want him GONE. I finally get him out after another 45 minutes and he said he will come back in a half hour. I said NO, I will give you a call. I think he must have known I saw something I did not like online, because he finally left me alone. If he comes back today, I am going to have my 6'5" 250lb boyfriend give him a large piece of his mind! This is NOT okay for them to keep doing, especially after he assured me he was not trying to pressure me to buy and gets paid for the demo. I am SO glad I did not buy this, and I may just go and get me a very nice $200 vacuum just because. :)

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Cesalie, we are concerned with your experience with an independent distributor. For us to further assist you and gather more information, could you please give us a call. We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: March 13, 2019

Two days ago, I answered a knock on my door. He introduced himself and said he was cleaning carpets in the area. He said he would like to clean a carpet for me at no charge. I asked if he was from a carpet cleaning company and he said no. He's from Kirby. He practically begged me to let him in to clean my carpet. He said he gets paid for every carpet he cleans and that I would be helping him to earn a paycheck. He promised no sales pitches. I showed him the 3 x 5 carpet I wanted cleaned. My first mistake was allowing him in my home. Trying to get him out was another completely different story. I told him straight out I wasn't buying. I said I need a vacuum cleaner but in no way am I buying one on the spot with researching it. He continued to take each piece out, explain its purpose, connect it to the device, etc. I had a price of $495 in mind. That was the most I was going to spend on a new vacuum cleaner.

When he told me this machine was $2,000.00, I think I laughed. Then during the demonstration he kept talking about how the company was going to send him to Anaheim to Disneyland if he sold six units. And of course he sold five. So, I would be his sixth unit. I said I am sorry. I am saving to take my grandchildren there as well. If I purchase this I may never get there. So, he runs the figures. The price drops to $1499.00 plus taxes. I think I laughed again. He then dropped some salt on a box and placed another box over the salt and used the vacuum cleaner to suck the salt up. He used different filters. He knew what to use a black filter on vs his white filter. Whether demonstrating on a hardwood floor, carpet, or walls and vents. I told him I wasn't buying the unit.

Now the hard sell comes. "Can you afford $1.00 day," he asked me. I said, "Most certainly." He said he could finance it over several years so it wouldn't cost me more than $1 a day. I said it would upset me to see a bill for a very expensive item come in month after month and year after year. I have enough to deal with seeing my mortgage payment. Again, he runs the figures. Now I see him eyeing things in my house. He liked a painting, a statue, etc. He offered to reduce the price further if I would part with some of my treasures. If I purchase this unit right now, not tomorrow, but right now, he can sell me this demo model for $1299.00. Minus my paintings, a figurine, etc.

By the way, I was promised a lifetime guarantee; that Kirby supposedly stands by their product (which from what I researched is false). (I still have my hoover canister which is now 20 years old and never had a problem with it; I think I paid about $249 at the time). I told him I was happy with my Hoover. Well now he offered to reduce the price again if I traded in my hoover. I saw his face getting red in anger that I wasn't buying this unit. I felt his tactics getting more aggressive with his comments. His final pitch was that I'd get the Avalir with all the extras for only $908.00. And, he would get his trip to Disneyland. A win-win for both of us!

Not so fast! I said, "Does that price say $495.00." If I were to purchase a new vacuum, that would be all I would budget for and at that price it would have to cook me dinner. So he cleaned the carpet he had been standing on; NOT the one I asked him to clean, and continued. Now he asked me, why won't I buy this? Why won't I buy this unit and help him get to Disneyland. Pressuring me by saying things like, "You really never intended to buy this unit. (I told him straight out I wasn't buying it). Why? I said I am saving for a trip for my family to take to Disney. If I buy this it will just set me back that much more.

He finally finished his demo of this Avalir. Four hours of my life was wasted putting up with this bullying, guilt-tripping, aggressive sales pitching pressure. FOUR HOURS! It took him five minutes to run that machine over the carpet he was standing on. Ultimately, I did not give in to his bullying me. Do NOT let these people in your home. Go to Craigslist. All the unhappy buyers there are unloading them for under a hundred bucks.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Debra, we are deeply concerned about your experience regarding a Kirby Independent Salesperson. While The Kirby Company is not affiliated with the agreements of the distributorships, we take these matters very seriously. Would you please give us a call so we can further gather information on these salespeople you interacted with to further investigate? We look forward to hearing from you and appreciate you reaching out! Thank you!

Original review: March 12, 2019

Contacting and flirting wife after sale. This group from Maryland came to our home. During the sale my wife contacted me (I work out of town). She needed a new vacuum and so I said sure. Well about three weeks later Mike one of the sales reps contact my wife and asked her to call him some time to chat. She of course thought it would be the lie by but no he wanted to see her again. She said no. So he started texting her selfies and such. Very unprofessional. Don't let these people in your house.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Rich, we are concerned with the experience your wife experienced with an independent distributor. Could you please give us a call so we can gather more information to further investigate and assist you? We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: March 1, 2019

My mother had a Kirby sales person come to her door in a neighborhood where solicitation is strictly prohibited. That didn’t stop them. They sold her a Kirby for over $800 more than the price I could find the same one for online with all of the same attachments. We had to file a small claims lawsuit against the company selling them to get them to negotiate with us and refund $600 of the $1400 they charged for the vacuum and shampoo attachments but we had to return those attachments. If Kirby comes to your home, they are trained to be extremely pushy and will try to rip you off. You should threaten to call the police if they won’t leave your property the first time you ask them to.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi J, While The Kirby Company is not affiliated with the agreements of the distributorships, we take these matters very seriously and appreciate your feedback on the matter. Thank you for your feedback.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

I got a phone call from Bright and Shiny saying that they will come out and clean my carpet for free. I asked if they were selling anything because I was not going to be buying anything. The lady on the phone stated, "No. It is just to get their company out there by word of mouth," a young man came out and I told him if you're selling something you might as well leave because I'm not buying anything. The gentleman said, "No. Just here to clean your carpets," then I see him bring this vacuum out and I was like great here we go. Long story short he did his demo. I said no I'm not buying anything then his manager comes into my house and bullies me for 2 hours till my husband finally caves and gets it and we have only used it 4 times. It does not vacuum it. The belt is always burning and I have gone through 4 belts. DON'T BUY A KIRBY.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

My story is similar to many others. A woman knocked on the door saying she was in college and had partnered with a new cleaning company to get money for school. (She said she received money for each demonstration she scheduled.) She said the company was just looking for exposure and an opportunity to demonstrate their cleaning services, and they would clean 2 rooms for free. I let her in, and she called a group of men to come to my house to demonstrate the vacuum. I'm going to do a lot of fast forwarding here, because they were at my house for over 3 hours. Long story short, after a lot of pressure, lies, and false advertising, I decided to buy the Avalir 2.

After using it just once and reading the owners manual, I realized I had made a mistake. Many of the features were falsely advertised during the demonstration, and I asked a lot of questions that were answered with blatant lies to get me to buy the vacuum. The vacuum has a limited 3 year warranty, not a lifetime warranty as I was told. One of the features I was interested in was being able to shampoo furniture. After reading the manual, I discovered that in order to shampoo furniture, you just spray cleaner all over it and then vacuum it once it's dry. Not exactly what I had in mind.

I was also interested in the blower feature, as I planned to use it to clean my garage. After reading the manual, I discovered the blowing feature can only be used for 60 seconds at a time and using it longer than that voids the warranty. Not as convenient as advertised. The carpet shampoo seemed to remove embedded pet smell from my carpets, but after about 2 days the perfume wore off and I realized the smell had only been masked, not removed. I thought having one machine to do it all would be more convenient, but it's actually more convenient to have multiple machines and just grab the one you need rather than having to switch out attachments.

Luckily, I was able to return the vacuum within the 3 day return window. The vacuum was picked up, but my vacuum they took for a trade-in was not returned. I have been assured that I will not be charged, but with how many lies I have been told by this company I'm not very confident that's true. In the end, I felt very uncomfortable with the sales tactics used, and I wasn't thrilled with the vacuum itself either. My old one was much easier to use, and I don't actually care if it leaves some dirt behind.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I had a knock on my door late last night by a Kirby salesman who said, "I’m here to Scotchgard your new carpet. It’s already been paid for." So since I bought a brand new home I assumed maybe it was part of what the builder does for you so I let him in at that point. He drags out this Kirby vacuum cleaner and said, "Have you ever heard of Kirby," and I said, "If I don’t known it was for Kirby I would not of let you in. I thought that the builders had sent you here." I told him I was not interested in the vacuum cleaner and he persisted on showing me this new 2019 model. He said only take 20 minutes to do that.

After telling him several times I did not want the vacuum he still proceeded to do his little demonstration on top of that he put his hose, his shampoos, his box and all his accessories to the vacuum on my brand new couch! I moved it off of my couch and set it on top of his Kirby box he proceeded to ask me personal questions where I live who’s in the military because he obviously saw the stickers on my car telling me he had military discounts, new homeowner discounts on anon, complemented me about my bedroom set and wanted to know if I was a single parent. It was all very personal and very unnerving.

I could not get that man out of my house fast enough. I cannot stand the pressure tactics. He also said to help him out because he was trying to win a trip Kirby may be a good vacuum cleaner but it’s not worth $3000 and then he tells me that he can turn in my other new vacuum and carpet cleaner and with the military and homeowner discount. I don’t to be paying about 1400 out the door box price but of course it cuts into his commission. I don’t like the persistence of these people and then if you tell them, "No thank you," they still want to bring their manager in to talk to you and get personal information. I will never ever buy a Kirby vacuum.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

We received a phone call asking us if we would like our carpet cleaned for £30, as our dog had just passed we agreed, a young lady turned up nice as pie, until it came to the buying part, my partner had enough and decided to go out, leaving me with 5 hrs of bullying tactics and she had eaten half tin of biscuits. In the end I agreed just to buy just to get rid of her, I felt violated after she left and just cried, 3 yrs later I’m struggling to pay for the Hoover it is sat in garage, don’t ever fall for the scam.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

Updated on 03/04/2019: On 2/26/19 Kirby responded to my review, apologizing for the problems and indicating they were interested in correcting the situation but needed more information. On 2/28/19 I called them citing their request but was told they knew nothing about the response by Kirby. This is a clear example of Kirby trying to make themselves look good when in actual fact they have no intention of correcting the problem. (Confirmed by the following) Today I received a letter from the investigative branch at Kirby saying that since I bought the vacuum from a individual who is not a authorized salesperson (how was I to Know) because he is not a Kirby salesman.

The truth is I did not buy the vacuum from the person they named. Through my own investigation I have determined the name of the dealer/location yet Kirby denies they exist. It is further apparent to me that they will tell lies and manufacture phony evidence (the salesman they named) to save them a dollar. I notified the Kirby representative today that I intend to file suit in small claims court.

Original Review: Yes my first mistake was letting the salesman in my home to do a carpet shampoo free. After paying too much I bought the sales pitch for my wife. She has rheumatoid arthritis badly in her hands and a few months she gave up trying to use the machine and went back to the Dyson. The attachments are so difficult that I can hardly make the changes. In the 10 month of ownership I approached the company wanting to return the machine under the (SENIOR) program, When I learned that the salesman was not a legitimate Kirby representative (so they say) hence they could not help me. The bottom line is Kirby is not interested in protecting their good name, only your money. So beware!!!

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Jimmie, our apologies. Please give us a call at 1-800-494-8586. Thank you and we look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

After using this product for 3-4 years, my opinion has not changed. It is the most difficult product to use. I only use it to vacuum my carpets. To use the carpet cleaner is not easy. Too much disassemble/reassemble time spent. Every part of this machine weighs a ton!! I have offered to give it away for FREE but nobody is interested. Also very expensive to buy bags, shampoo. Not worth a penny I spent.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I bought my Kirby vacuum in 2000. I do not know how I end up meeting a representative from Kirby when I buy a new home. I loved the way it worked and all the features and I bought it. Later on I realized that it was a little pricey but I really liked the potency in this vacuum. After twenty year, I am still in love with my vacuum. I have not found a vacuum that works the way this vacuum work after so many years. It is worth paying more for a vacuum that will last so many years and will do the work. I will recommend this vacuum to everyone!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

This is by far the best vacuum you can buy for your home. It has 3 times the suction power of a Dyson, will pick up 2 or three times as much dirt out of your carpet as a Dyson, or any other brand. The Kirby will last for 25 or more years. They have a lifetime warranty. This is fantastic American made product. I have used a Kirby all of my life. I have used other machines that call themselves vacuums, but none of them compare to a Kirby. It is so frustrating to use another vacuum because they just don't work like my Kirby. They may be a little heavy, but they are easy to push and bottom line, you vacuum to get the carpet clean. If you want clean get a Kirby.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

Okay a friend of mine gave this salesperson my number. We talked on the phone and they said will get our carpet cleaner for free so I was excited. They came at 7 pm because I wanted my husband to be around too. So we invited them in, They told us to first vacuum with our own vacuum. Later they used their vacuum. It was really impressive. The vacuum does a good job. This scammer explained to us how he wants to win a Trip if he gets 15 people to buy the vacuum. She were surprised because we thought they were coming to clean the carpet and go.

Later he called his boss and said that we'll be purchasing the vacuum. Mind you he had not even told us the price of the vacuum. Later he told us it was 2695, so I told him, "Let's first do some research about this vacuum then we'll buy it." He refused and told us that we get it today on a cheaper price which was 2100. He kept insisting, he even showed us a video of Oprah and how bugs' feces end up on our mouths. That's why when people wake up their mouth stinks. We kept insisting we don't have that money. He said we can put 0 down as long as we have a good credit. We told him "Right now we can't buy it." He reduce the price to 1500. The other thing the vacuum he wants to sell to us was the same one he goes around with it to people houses for demonstration. We told him no and he got very upset. He made me very uncomfortable. Am lucky my husband was there, they want to get me to buy something I don't need for 2695. Thank God.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I had a very skilled salesman come to my home and swindle me into buying this hunk of junk. Now I am stuck in ridiculous payments for years. I didn't realize how hard this vacuum is to use until after the 30 days, so now I am stuck.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

I've had my Kirby Sentra for 6 years now. It's the best vacuum cleaner I've ever owned. I've had every other type of big box retail cleaner - Dyson, Shark, Toshiba, Sharp, Bosch, Dirt Devil, Hoover, and every type of shop-vac imaginable - and all have worked fine, however nothing compares to the Kirby. The Kirby is by far, one of the best vacuum cleaners made worldwide.

A few notes; a brand new Kirby is like a brand new Mercedes - they're expensive brand new. If you're looking to buy a Kirby, do what I did and buy a used one from eBay or Amazon. A Kirby is not some Chinese made piece of plastic junk - it'll last a lifetime and there are thousands of testimonials to back that up. It's a solid, heavy duty piece of American made machinery and the company has been in business since 1906. The brand has an international reputation for quality and performance that is over a hundred years old - so for those that don't know the history of the company and product, it's sold on a door-to-door basis, however you can find dealers that repair them and sell used ones.

Many reviewers seem to be in sticker shock at the price of a new Kirby, but put it in perspective. An iPad or tablet computer would set you back the same amount and you'd be lucky if the thing lasted 3 years. Used Kirby's are usually in fantastic shape, however there may be one that was used by some idiot to vacuum gravel driveways, so do your homework just like you would with a used car. Once you've familiarized yourself with your Kirby use it properly - don't lug it up and down the stairs, use the proper disposable cloth bags which do an excellent job of catching dust. The suction power on a Kirby is amazing as well. Once a year, just like your car, take it to a Kirby dealer for a major tune up and cleaning. You'll be glad you did. Your Kirby will last you for much longer than any other vacuum cleaner you've ever bought. I know, because every brand of vacuum cleaner I mentioned above, I don't have anymore. They all broke.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

When my father passed away in October, I got his and my mom's Kirby Sentria. All I can say is, “WOW !! !” It puts my other upright and all others before it, to shame. And the proof is in the dirt collection bag. I vacuum 2 to 3 times a week. Other vacuum’s bags would have to be replaced after many, many uses. But when I started using the Kirby, the carpet and floors were so filthy (I had no idea), I went through 3 bags in the first use. It made me sick to know that all the effort that I had been putting into keeping my floors clean was so pointless.

I liked it so much, I have bought a second Sentria, identical to it. Not because I had a problem, but because I have a large, single story, 4 bedroom, 2800 sq foot home. My spouse helps with the vacuuming and he was having to use the POS vacuum. So, now we both are vacuuming with the same awesome machines. Are they heavy? Yes, very. I would not recommend “one” for a multi story home. Definitely, get one per floor. But hey, it’s a good thing because these beasts are all metal. There’s very little plastic to break on or in a Kirby vacuum. They are built to last generations. They have suction like no other vacuum I’ve ever used. But it’s true, they do appear be be designed for dust, dirt and crumbs only. They do not pick coins or other small plastic or metal objects. I guess Kirby doesn’t want you to vacuum up something that accidentally made it’s way to the floor. It will spit it back out. Another good thing in my opinion.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

We really wished we had seen this website earlier. We recently were offered by the company Bright and Shiny a “free” carpet cleaning if we would allow a sales rep to demonstrate a Kirby Vacuum/carpet cleaner. We were assured there was no pressure to buy and that they would clean two full rooms They just wanted to highlight their machine. He did the demo using white & black filters which appears very impressive. But my $60 vacuum would do the same thing as we do live in the Coachella Valley which is surrounded by desert. He left the filters lying around to prove how good this machine was.

He then asked for a towel to prove that the cleaning fluid mixed with water would not soak into your carpet but would dry within 45 minutes and you would just have to vacuum the powder up. It took over 24 hours and even with fans on, the carpet was still damp in some places. There are black blotches all over the carpet, that the vacuum will not take out. Not only that, our tile floor had water marks all over it from the cleaner, so we had to wash the floor again plus clean out the sink he used.

The carpet is now such a mess, we have to hire a carpet cleaning firm to fix it so much for a “free” carpet cleaning. He started out with a high figure for the cleaner, but said he could give us a better deal as he needed the sale to win a ski trip to Tahoe. Because he was unable to make a deal with us, he made four more offers and the end figure ended up 60% less than the starting price. He was not happy when he left and roughly packed his gear up and left. Lesson learned... Nothing is free.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

Kirby Avalir vacuum is literally the worst investment I have ever made. When the distributor comes to your house and shows you how to use the vacuum, he does a great job showing you how it picks up baking soda from your carpet. But when it comes to general use of this vacuum it is extremely difficult and heavy. It vacuums deep into your carpet. I will give it that much but anything on top of your carpet does not get vacuumed up. It will not do fuzzy cat hair as well as dog hair in anyway. It will not vacuum up small crumbs from under your table. You will go over it and over it and over it wasting your time vacuuming things that will not vacuum up. I am extremely disappointed with this vacuum. I called the distributor a couple months after I bought the vacuum, and he never returned any of my calls. I have contacted Kirby and haven’t heard back from them yet either.

The heaviness of the vacuum is ridiculous. There are plastic connectors to the heavy-metal vacuum part. Every time I pick it up I feel like the handle is going to break off. Carrying it up and downstairs is quite the task. You will be hit in the shins three or four times as you take steps while lifting it. It’s swings around and has no rigidity to the frame of the vacuum. I am not a small woman. I can lift heavy weights. But the effort that this vacuum takes to move from one room to the next or up and downstairs is beyond ridiculous.

I could go all day about how hard it is to put all the attachments on to it. I have read past reviews who said as soon as you get to know the vacuum you will love it. My question for them is, "How much time do you have to play with your vacuum?" Because it is quite intense to put everything together just to vacuum a corner out or a drawer out or stairs off. My suggestion is stay way away from Kirby and their vacuums. You could buy three or four good vacuums for the cost of this one. That would be at least 20 years of vacuums. Don’t buy it.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners Company Information