2. Homeowners

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners Reviews

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.04/5

Quit paying for costly home repairs

For nearly one-hundred years, The Kirby Company has manufactured superior, American-made home cleaning systems. Kirby does not sell directly to the public but continues a long tradition of distributing its home cleaning systems through independent distributors, who are responsible for running their own businesses. Over the years, this distribution system has afforded thousands of men and women the opportunity to live the American dream of owning and operating their own businesses.

Experience has taught us that customers prefer to try our premium cleaning systems in their own homes before purchasing. Customer satisfaction is our top priority. If customers have any questions or concerns regarding the in-home demonstrations of Kirby cleaning systems or the cleaning systems themselves, please email us at consumer@kirbywhq.com, or call us at 800-494-8586, Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., EST.

View More View More

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners Reviews

Original review: Nov. 26, 2012

At the beginning of the month, 2 sales people came to my house, demonstrated the vacuum, and the lady that was trying to demonstrate the vacuum on my hardwood floor did not even know how to use the buffer and dented my hardwood floor. They both lied to me about the lifetime warranty! But they did not tell us the details about the deductible. We called the next day to cancel and spoke with a manager who said he would sell it to us cheaper. Instead of $3,000, he would give it to me for $1300 and said he would call us back on when they would come and get the vacuum and redo the paperwork.

We called him back to see what was going on because he didn't call me back, and he told me I could not get it for $1300, that I was not qualified (which he never called me back to tell me that), so I told him I just wanted to cancel it. He said he would cancel it since that was what I wanted to do in the first place before he said I could have that deal that I couldn't have again. He said he would call me back to do the cancellation paperwork.

I never did receive a call back, of course. They made us wait after the 3 days of no cancellations, so we called them back again. I told them I was supposed to have it cancelled as we were lied to and it was very bad customer service. He told us he would have it cancelled and give us our stuff back we gave them for trade in which was my vacuum I already had, and an Xbox. I also gave them $100 down payment.

Now it's a couple weeks later, still no call, no stuff, no down payment back, no parts to the new vacuum so I called again, and my niece called. They said they would look into it and call back. Still, no call. I have now received a bill in the mail to pay monthly amounts of about $185 until the $3000 is paid off. I am very upset with this and it sounds like there is nothing I can do now and I have dents in my hardwood floor.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2012

I had a car load of folks pull into my yard and one young lady got out and asked if I had a moment. She said it would take but a couple of minutes, that she was with Kirby and that I didn't have to purchase anything. If she could show me the product, she would get paid. I told her I just have a couple of minutes and my husband was home, so I let her in my house. Then about five people came in my house and unloaded a box. They left a girl to show me the product. She kept on about cleaning my house and I told her she had to leave. She wouldn't take no for an answer until I told her I was going to have my husband force her out of our home. It made me think they were looking in our home to see what they could rob when we weren't at home. I think Kirby needs to find a better way to sell their product. I think it's bad business! I will and have told everyone in my area about this so they don't have these people coming in their homes.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2012

Okay so it’s Saturday evening and we got a knock on the door. I asked before opening the door, “Who is it?” "Larry".... that was all he said. So I had my husband open the door slowly. Apparently, Larry was offering a free carpet or furniture cleaning with no monetary obligation for a charity (Red Cross I think he said). Then he said something about how his boss would let him off early from work if he cleaned just one more carpet or furniture. So we said sure you can clean the couch. He then left and said he'd be back in like 15 mins. Before he left to get the equipment needed, I asked him how long the cleaning would take, and he told us 15 mins. 5 mins. later, "Larry" comes back with some guy and a big box and then "Larry" leaves.

Red flag #1: This new guy came in and started his spiel about the Kirby vacuum and how it’s so revolutionary, that no other company had that technology and that’s why they have no competition, how we would never buy another vacuum again and that it would last for 20-30 years to be passed down to our children. He went on to tell us about the vacuum's lifetime warranty, and then showed us a pamphlet that clearly stated a 3-year warranty.

Red flag # 2: Then he kept repeating how no one else had this technology, and that no other vacuum cleans and reaches deep down the fibers of the carpet. He demonstrated how magnificent the vacuum was and attached a white circular pad in the vacuum and vacuumed a small area of carpet. He showed us that our apartment we just moved into was extremely dirty, and had so much dirt deep down in the fibers. He handed us the vacuum with a new pad in place to try for ourselves, and it picked up the same amount of dirt.

Red flag # 3: He then told us that there were two things we should know about the vacuum: it’s the best on the market, and had no competition and it was expensive. By this time he has talked his way out of his sale, but we let him keep going for the fun of it. He handed us a pamphlet with a $2290 price tag for the vacuum. Under the price tag it said they needed a down payment of $550 with six easy payments of $360 (clearly more than the $2290 price tag with the down payment). So as not to be rude, we asked if we could get one later, but not today. He said they only did door-to-door sales, and that we must buy one today and they had no store or contact number. He said the only store they did have only sold attachments.

We asked him four times if we could call and set up an appointment for him to come back. He said if he came back out, he couldn't give us a deal and we had to pay in full, but if we bought it today, he would waive the down payment. My husband then told him that this was a high pressure sales tactic, and he didn't want to make a purchase that large without first reading some reviews. He said that the company had been around for 100 years, and that everyone on the Internet loves the Kirby. Obviously, he hasn't read this website.

By that time the verbal exchange had gone on for 30 mins. and he had not cleaned our couch at all. (A process we were told would only be 15 minutes.) He asked us if we even wanted the demonstration, and we told him not really. He said that he couldn’t clean our couch without demonstrating it because his boss would see and he would get in trouble. I was wondering if his boss was hiding in the bushes watching through our window. My husband said we could just tell him you demonstrated, and he said no, he could walk in and see that it’s not true. I assumed he was talking about "Larry" the guy who went home.

Finally, after trying to negotiate a product we’re not going to buy, he asked us a final time if we wanted the couch cleaned, and we told him, no thanks. He then took his sweet time to pack up his box. While packing up, he told us for every two people he pitched to he sold one vacuum. We told him it’s ridiculous to not sell out of a store. They had been doing this, door-to-door sales, for 100 years, so why stop now, he said. He asked us one last time if there was no way we could buy this today, and we said, no, not without a review. In a last pathetic attempt for our money, he assured us that people who look at reviews do it while he’s there. Yeah, okay buddy boy. We kindly escorted him out of the door and told him to have a nice day. 45 mins of time wasted.

If anybody comes to your house about a Kirby vacuum, kindly turn them away unless you feel like laughing at terrible sales pitches for 45 mins.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2012

The other day a young girl came to my door and was looking through the glass saying hi and hello as I was walking to the door. When I opened the door, she handed me a container of Lysol wipes and said, "This is for you." Of course I said, "What is this for?" She said, "Just one minute, I have something to show you." She turned and went out to a vehicle full of other people. As she came back to my door with a large box, I asked her if that is a vacuum cleaner and she said yes. I told her I don't need a vacuum cleaner and she just wanted in to show me so she can get paid. I am not letting strangers into my home, especially while I am home alone! She was pushy, but I can be pushy as well if needed. I refused and she left after begging a little bit.

Well last night, my daughter who lives in another state called. Keep in mind her husband is deployed, so she is alone. Two men showed up at her door and handed "something" out of their vehicle. She shut and locked her door, closed the blinds and called the police. They were banging on her door, calling out to her to open the door. She then got her gun out and let the dogs in as well. Not knowing who these people were, considering they had no uniform or name tags, did not identify themselves, are not in a company vehicle, she thought they were trying to get in to harm her. The police got there and they were selling Kirby vacuum cleaners.

I realize that door-to-door sales used to be common, but in this day and time, it is not a good idea! It isn't safe for the customers or the salespeople! I wonder how Kirby screens these people they send door-to-door in an attempt to get inside of customers' homes? I doubt they screen them at all! Kirby, if you are that desperate to sell your vacuums, then you need to find other ways to improve, but sending people in to other people's homes is not a good idea.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2012

A salesman came and cleaned the carpet and talked me into purchasing the machine. The vacuum does not even fluff-up the pile of the carpet and the carpet cleaner doesn't work properly. This machine is way too expensive and too complicated to use. I want my money back.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kirby?

Original review: Nov. 12, 2012

Who solicits their business at night on Sunday even? I knew something shady was going on but the Mrs. fell for it because it was free. I warned her, I didn't want to get involved so I went upstairs to avoid the intrusion. They arrived an hour later around 8. I figured it should not take an hour since it was a non-steam cleaner. This is what they were marketing, no moisture in your carpets, blah, blah, blah. I heard the vacuum going on and off for the past two hours. These guys have no consideration, they were just doing a demo, not cleaning. The carpet still had stains on it and none of it was removed? WTH? If I didn't tell them to leave, they would have been there till midnight. Really, over 2 hours to vacuum one small living room?

Original review: Nov. 7, 2012

Yesterday, a really young girl and guy came to my door (had to be no older then 20 years old) and handed me a free can of air freshener and asked if they could show me a demonstration of their vacuum and that they were getting paid just for showing me. I said, "Sure why not," knowing I would not purchase it, I would get my carpet cleaned and they were getting paid regardless. Well, they left and another young guy actually came in to show it and the first thing I asked was how much it was. He said $5000 in a joking way and I asked again, and he would not tell me.

Well, he was at my house for about 2 hours showing me at which that point I was a little annoyed that it was taking so long, but I'm not the kind of person to be rude and tell him to leave. After the demonstration was over, I said that it was a pretty cool vacuum but there was no way I could pay for this and I had to talk to my boyfriend about it first (since we live together). He would not take no for an answer and he ended up going down from $2800 to $1600 and I still said no! Then he had to use my cell phone to call his boss to come pick him up.

Oh, and he had scattered little filter pad all over my living room rug with dirt and dust all over them to show his boss which was all over my rug that I had to clean up after anyway! Well, he called his boss and he was just sitting on my couch for about 25 minutes until (luckily) my boyfriend came home after I had texted him about these people being here. He told him nicely if he could please wait for his boss to pick him up at the end of the drive way. If he wouldn't have showed up, then he probably would have been sitting there for an hour and then his boss would have tried to badger me into buying the vacuum!

Please, do not even bother opening your door for these people because once they're in, it's very hard to get them out! And by the way, if you really do want one of these vacuums, then buy on Amazon.com or find another online website. I saw one for $1200 brand new. That is why they can lower the price so much - they make you think you are getting a "deal" if you buy it today but it's all ** to get you to buy it.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2012

It’s absolutely terrible that anyone would want to work for this company (Kirby) and go door-to-door begging people to buy a $3000.00 vacuum. I had a salesman come to my door insisting to come in and show me a demo. Also said he would do 2 rooms for free, no strings attached. Well, after 2 and a half hours of listening to him put my house down, my kids, my pets, and pretty much everything in my house that could be cleaned, he ran out of time to do the free rooms. Well I stated that that was part of the plan. So he did. It took him roughly 5 min. to do a room and he left with the floors completely wet and full of soap. I wouldn’t recommend this to anyone. It’s a terrible company.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi . Thank you for letting us know about your experience. We apologize that it did not meet your expectations. Kirby vacuums are sold through independently owned and operated distributorships that perform in-home demonstrations to show off the Kirby system’s many features and performance capabilities. The Kirby Company requires all authorized distributors of its products to operate legally and ethically. Please call our Customer Relations department at 1-800-494-8586 or email us at consumer@kirbywhq.com so that we may address your concerns.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2012

Well, I had a couple of Kirby guys come up to my door to do a demonstration but I kept telling them I didn't want it. They kept on. Well, now I have been trying to get a hold of them and I can't. None of the numbers I have are working. I've had it less than a week and the belt broke on it.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2012

I worked for this company for two weeks in Topeka, KS. They just want young teenagers like us to do the heavy work like risk ourselves driving around and going into houses late at night Monday through Sunday from 11am-10pm selling Kirby vacuums. First, I was excited about working with different people in a fun environment. When I got my first check, it was only for $40 for one week of work. Second week, I received $150 for working five days a week and making four sales. They kept all my commission!

Chad and Brandon, the owners, don't care about anyone but just themselves and money. Two of my co-workers didn't get paid. Don't work for them or any Kirby Company because you are going to be working a lot and making money for them. They are going to be using you as slave like what they did to me! If you can help it, don't let Kirby people in your home. We will have better opportunities with jobs that will pay for vacations and benefits for us! God bless you and hopefully, they’ll be better people who do not take advantage of other people's dreams.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2012

My husband called about a job listing on Craigslist (Kirby vacuum sales) and a guy called him back a week later saying to come to this address in Glendale for the interview. My husband did and the interview went well. The guy said he wanted to see my husband back for a second one, so the next day he went back for a second interview and started training. For a week of driving from Mesa to Glendale, my husband went to this place to train for the position in sales and was told by the guy that he wouldn't have to get dirty again. In the beginning of the second day of training, one person failed to show up that was training alongside my husband. The guy told my husband he couldn't just train one person, so he let my husband go after he had convinced my husband to let his other job go. We have 2 small children and high rent and were left in a pile of crap because of their lowdown **. I own a Kirby vacuum as I was hornswoggled into buying it, but never again will I give them any of my time or money. They are scam artists that have the license to do so.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2012

A salesperson came to my door yesterday asking to demonstrate her product for free in my home. When I declined, she persisted until I handed her back her pamphlet and told her I was not interested. She replied, "Some people just choose to be ignorant." You won't make many sales with your attitude.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2012

I was approached by a man and a woman offering me a free rug cleaning, with the sole purpose that I would tell my neighbors about it. I fell for their line. Then, another man came in and proceeded to set up the Kirby cleaner. I was told it would take 20 minutes. He was here for 90 minutes. After vacuuming, he called his boss. Then came the obnoxious sales pressure. I told him I couldn't afford it as I'm a widow - repeating this same thing at least 20-30 times. I finally told him to get out of my house immediately. What a shame that Kirby's salespeople are told to use such unethical sales tactics, as seen through 500 complaints posted here throughout the U.S.A. Shame on them!

Original review: Oct. 26, 2012

Two years ago, I bought a Kirby in my home through a high-pressure salesman. Unfortunately, I let him take my old Hoover vacuum when he left. It was a much better vacuum and far more convenient. The Kirby is the clumsiest vacuum I have ever used. The power nozzle is particularly difficult to attach and use. I have wound up using the outfit like a canister, pretty much all the time. At over a thousand dollars, this is the most foolish household equipment mistake I have ever made. Live and learn.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2012

I am in Norwalk, CA. There is a pretty looking Latina woman named ** from SK Enterprises (14555 Valley View St., Santa Fe Springs, CA) walking around the neighborhood of Norwalk. She said they are a new distributor of Kirby products (Sentria 2) and offered a deep cleaning of my wooden floors and rugs for free. She said she can have the cleaning crew over in 5 minutes and it would be completely free with no obligation to buy any product. I was suspicious because the deal sounded too good to be true. Although I was very tempted to say, "Okay," I held back so I can research this company first. So I told her, “I don't have time today, but how about you call me tomorrow?” I go online and found all these negative reviews - disaster averted. Thank you, internet! Needless to say, I will simply tell her, "No thank you," when she calls tomorrow.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2012

Sentria II vacuum - Today, salespeople showed up at my house unexpectedly and asked for 20 minutes of our time. One man stayed while the other rushed off in their van to another house and said he'd be back in 20 minutes - more like 2 1/2 hours or more. Big mistake letting them in. Oh and they kept pitching that they have this big contest going on this month, must be every month from other reviews I now read online. They want to make you feel sorry for them. They are so cut throat they would rob an old person blind. I admit, the vacuum is real nice and does have a lot of suction but is heavy. He went on to clutter up my large family room with at least 15 dirty rags that he emptied out of the vacuum, which I asked him "Why don't you pick them up for there was no need to keep them laying around?" He proved his point about its ability. He refused to.

We asked him to vacuum a specific area after he had already used my Dyson and he refused to moving to a new area, so it made it look like it picked up more. He thought we didn't catch that. We told him we were not interested in spending a whopping $3,200 on a vacuum and that we would not buy it. He kept going getting cummier as the minute went. I have a Dyson and I love it. Now mind you, my house is 20 years old with original carpet, which is still half way decent unbelievably. He tried to tell me the Kirby would make it like new. No way. Impossible. It's 20 years old.

He tried to tell me the faults of my Dyson and tried to tell me that the dirt traveled through its motor and had a filter in it. I told him it only had one filter and I showed it to him and that it was washable and reusable, which is in the empty cartridge. He then went on to tell me there was another filter in the motor that needs to be replaced all the time. I told him it does not go through the motor as advertised and I pulled out the manual and proved to him that it didn't and that area was spotless. Another lie.

My Dyson is 10 years old at least and has never broken or needed anything, but emptying the cartridge after use which takes two seconds. At that point, he was still trying to pull apart the motor and I stopped him. He also tried to tell me that the air that shoots out the side to escape was dusty, which it is not. It picks up a lot of debris per vacuum. He neglects to tell you that once a bag gets full, it will naturally have less sucking power. It's not rocket science. Every other bag vacuum is the same. At this time he was seeing he was not dealing with some dumb broad. After telling them we need a roof before a vacuum and more things were a priority, they had the gall to keep pushing it. I don't know how many times I said we could not afford it.

Then, the supposedly owner showed back up, tried to talk us into it too. Now the price went from $3,200 to $1199. Oh why didn't they come out with that price in the first place? It sounded more appealing, but we still could not afford it when other things are more priority at the time. I also refused to turn in my Dyson and my Hoover carpet cleaner for money off and then he said we wouldn't. The guy insisted on shampooing the carpet, which by then they were way overextended their welcome. I let him clean it and I found the attachments to be awkward and the water could spill out of the reservoir and just then, he spilled it. Bad design. It did clean but what a hassle. You had to go over a small area in four different directions continually adding more detergent to the carpet.

Now he said you can buy the bottle of cleaner for $10 and it goes a long way. The man put three cupfuls in the tiny water container, which I thought was an extreme amount. He cleaned a 4x4 area of carpet and the time he was done, half the water with detergent was gone already. At that rate it would take you 10 bottles to clean what you need to clean. Not impressed. Then came more pushing and we just said this took up too much of our time and that we were still not willing to spend $1,199 to use it on our 20-year old carpet. Maybe if it was newer, but it's ready to be replaced or beyond that. We told him no thank you and the somber salesman cleaned up his stuff and repacked it to sell already dirty and used to another person.

You shouldn't do that. Bring in a demo and leave the people an unused in a box. Anyways, they wasted our afternoon which I had a lot to do. It is a good vacuum but just was not worth $3,200 or even $1,199 to us. Very pushy sales tactics that we did not appreciate. I told my husband to never let anyone in anymore no matter what. Last solicitor wanted to sell us a $7,000 water filtration system. Get real! BTW, you can buy the same thing on Amazon for as low as $999 to $1,200 and not deal with the annoying sales pitch. Beware buyers! Do your homework.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2012

Kirby and Distributor use same info with vacuum but do not agree: I purchased a Kirby Vacuum Cleaner for $830.00 cash on 10/03/2012. I was surprised to find myself the object of Preferred Credit Inc., who wished to know when I was going to make my first of 64 individual payments. I am disabled and the vacuum is very heavy to use, so I asked for someone, from the Distributor that I purchased it from, to please come and pick it up, as well as give me back my $830.00.

It is so stated in the Kirby Owner Care Handbook, as follows:

Right of Rescission. The Kirby Company requires its Independent Distributors to adhere to any county, state or local laws or regulations pertaining to consumers' cancellation rights.

Golden Ager/Disabled Consumer Purchase Cancellation Procedure. Any consumer who, at the time of purchasing a Kirby cleaning system, is at least sixty-seven (67) years old or has a disability (regardless of age) which restricts or prevents the consumer's use of the Kirby system, may cancel and rescind the purchase transaction up to nine (9) months after the date of purchase. Upon cancellation of the purchase transaction, the independent Distributor who made the sale will return all the deposits, trade-in merchandise and down payments to the consumer. If trade-in merchandise is no longer available, the independent Distributor will return to the consumer merchandise of an equal value a similar type as that of the trade-in merchandise.

I have taken this Cancellation Procedure right from the page out of the Kirby Owner Care Program Booklet. At this time, I cannot seem to get any contacts to believe what is written in their own 'handout book' that comes with the vacuum cleaner. I am a disabled person who receives Medicare and can easily prove that I am disabled. Hippa disallows me, thankfully, from having to share my personal health with anyone.

I have trouble contacting the distributor, CRM Enterpirses, Inc., Chris **, 3402 Ashland Avenue, St. Joseph, MO 64506 office contact number (only contact number) 816-390-8801. Sometimes, 'Heather' answers and Chris is never there. I did speak to him once asking for money back and would gladly return vacuum and he hung up on me. Now, I have contacted the State Of Kansas District Attorney Consumer Reports, the BBB of MO, and the local police department along with my personal attorney. If just one person from Kirby or CRM would return my calls or be kind to me, this could be settled. Since no one from the 'Seller side' has attempted in any way to contact me, without turning me over to a collection agency when in fact, I had paid cash for this machine, then they would never have contacted me at all. How do you get hold of these folks who will not stand by their Kirby Company statements and promises? Please help me to resolve this problem quickly and as professionally as possible.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2012

I purchased a Kirby vacuum after a high pressure sale that took over an hour and agents would not take no for an answer. I've been paying ever since. The vacuum is cumbersome, does not ever or has ever vacuumed up items on the surface. I vacuum weekly and honestly in the past year have only changed the bag three times. My last cheap vacuum had to be changed after two times of using it. I will never buy another or suggest anyone to buy a Kirby vacuum system at all. As soon as I can, I will be buying another cheap vacuum and getting rid of the Kirby Sentria System. It was not worth the $1,900 I am paying!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2012

The more I read other customers complaints on here, the angrier I get! Last night around 7PM, a young girl asked if I would like to have my carpet shampooed with no obligation to buy anything. I did not know it was to see if I wanted to buy a Kirby Vacuum! She said it would take 30 minutes, but boy oh boy, it lasted until after 10PM! She left and came 2 guys - one owned the company and his employee! The owner left his employee behind so he can demonstrate how to use a Kirby. They really had us going! We decided to buy a Kirby, signed a contract, and everything! Then for some reason, I didn't feel right about what I was getting into. That's when I Googled about Kirby and saw all the five hundred and something complaints!

My heart sunk! All the things the other consumers complained about, I went through the exact same thing - a white van full of people, them vacuuming the sheets on my bed, trading in your vacuum, the high APR, everything! Then I Googled the owner's address and it was an address to a dog salon! Then I was really heated! I texted my fiance and told him what we got ourselves into. He told me don't worry about it, that we will get out of this mess. So he called him and told him to come back today with our vacuum and come get theirs. We were cancelling this contract! He was nervous as hell!

He came back today at 4:30 on the nose and I signed the cancellation notice, got my vacuum back and they got theirs! Oh and it did help that my fiance had on his police cap! He told them last night he worked for the police department, and I assumed they remembered that! We never said he was a cop! But let this be a lesson to me and for you all. Don't fool with them, Kirby salespeople! It's a scam! Do not let them in your home!

Original review: Oct. 16, 2012

I feel so ashamed of how gullible I was this evening. After reading all of these and seeing some identical situations in the complaints, I feel like an absolute moron. A young girl was dropped off in front of my house and acted like a silly little college student trying to promote a local carpet cleaning company. She lied to me. I had no idea a van full of young men, led by an older man were going to come into my home and stay for hours. If you are approached by a young person and it seems fishy, please don't allow them in. If you want a Kirby, buy one off Amazon.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2012

A Kirby salesman from Millenia Distributors Dist. 8813 from Orlando, FL came to my house one day when I was sick. Of course, my carpet needed cleaning so I let him do so. After seeing the product work, I liked it a lot. So, he figured amounts more than three times and would take anything on trade. I had some real expensive evening gowns that I was going to sell so I discussed trading them in. All he could talk about was how he needed one more sale to win a trip to Vegas or to win his son a 4-wheeler. So the more he pressured, I guess I took the bite. Well after he left, I realized that the contract he left after making up about three was not the one I agreed upon and decided to return it with the three days by law that I have and I mailed the necessary paperwork to his office. I kept a copy for myself. I called and cancelled with the finance company which was very nice, but when I finally got someone on the phone at Millenia Distributors out of Orlando, the lady was very ugly and rude.

I told her I've been trying to get my trade in back since the 3rd day and return their product which is like new other than when he cleaned my floor. The lady told me that a district manager would be calling. I have yet to hear from him. I saw them riding around my neighborhood again and went to the store where about four of them were piled up in a can. Scary. All I have done is try to do what the contract said. I do not want the product. I really can't afford it and the lady at the Orlando office said she does not have to return my items which the salesman when I talked to him at the store said he would. And that she would sue me for three times the amount of the vacuum. So this is the type of salesman you deal with when you let a Kirby salesman in your home. Be careful.

I just want my stuff back. Their contract said send by mail signed copy of cancellation within three days and call finance company also to cancel, which I did. Finance company said I am under no obligation with them, but the lady in their office which I have all names refuses to bring my stuff back and pick up their cleaner, or maybe they will pick it up but doesn't want to return my stuff. So what do I do? Any suggestions? I'm sure if the owner of the company knew they have acted this way, he or she would not appreciate it or like it. It's giving Kirby a bad name.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2012

On 09/22/12, two Kirby salesmen knocked on the door of the mother-in-law's house in central Ohio. She told them she was not interested but they pushed open the door and entered the residence. When one of them would show her something, the other would excuse himself and go to another part of the house for 5-10 minutes in some instances. She is in her mid-80's and felt very scared, too scared to call the police with one of them in the room. They stayed for about an hour and she finally convinced them that she was not interested nor could afford to purchase a Kirby.

Afterwards, we happened to stop by and heard the story about the ordeal she had just been through. We took off to find the van that she described and within a block, we saw that a Madison County Sheriff had the van pulled over. When we pulled alongside them to report the problem, the deputy asked which house we were referring to and we told him. The deputy slowly turned the Kirby guy around and showed us he had handcuffs on him. It turns out that there were some houses in town where this same prank was pulled and prescription medication was stolen.

The Kirby salesman was arrested and charged with theft. The preliminary hearing is 10/29/12. This town is outraged at the pushy tactics used to gain entry into the houses and then to steal from some of the elderly residents. That is inexcusable. I pray that Kirby sales tactics are scrutinized and that this salesman, as well as any others involved, is sentenced to a hefty term in jail.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2012

About 4:30PM, a salesperson came to our door trying to sell my wife a free carpet cleaning and a Kirby vacuum cleaner. As she politely declined, the woman lingered around our property. My wife had a feeling that this person wasn't legit. She went outside to find the Kirby salesperson broke into our car and rummaging through its contents. To make a long story short, she confronted her and after she made up a story (and admitted being in the car), we called the police and she was arrested for burglary of a vehicle. Also, this girl had a warrant for her arrest. During her arrest, the police found out another Kirby person in the subdivision next to ours was arrested for stealing jewelry from a house during a demonstration, all within minutes of her arrest. All this was from the same company who sells Kirby vacuum cleaners.

Note to readers: Do not trust this company and its salespeople - they are thieves and crooks.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2012

About 6:00 pm, a very young girl came to the door and handed me a card and said she was putting me in a drawing for a free carpet shampoo. Stupidly, I gave her my phone number and sent her on her way. An hour later, my wife answers the phone, and a different lady says we won the free carpet shampoo. She said they would send some guys over that night to do it. My wife tells me about this, and immediately, a red flag goes up. I called them back and attempted to cancel. The lady said it would only take about 15 minutes and to "not tip the guys". She then literally hung up on me.

So this guy shows up and starts demonstrating a Kirby vacuum. After about an hour of this, I told him he needed to leave, and he kept making calls to someone and stating that they would be there soon and would pick him up. At one point, he even said, "Hurry and get me. They are pretty mad." They showed up two hours after he started calling for a ride. I felt so guilty for the "stranded" guy that I ended up buying the vacuum for $1,200 (way too much). I do like the vacuum, but I still have a bad taste in my mouth over the situation.

My biggest issue with my purchase is that I dropped a lot of money on a company that is dishonest, rude, and greedy. I have no respect for the Kirby company, and I would rather buy a less quality vacuum from a company that deserves the money. They also mentioned early in the deal something about trading in my old vacuum for a cheaper price. Well, they didn't mention it again, and they took it without me even realizing what was happening. It's been three months, and every time I vacuum, I get pissed thinking about that night. Also, one 4 ft. section was all that was shampooed. Don't fall for the lies!

Original review: Oct. 3, 2012

This was the worst sales experience I have ever had! I believed the person coming into my home was for carpet cleaning but instead end up buying a vacuum. The Kirby vacuum is probably a good product overall but not worth the high prices they quote you (over $2,000!). Per Consumer Reports, it’s actually $1,350. The saddest thing is I have had surgery on my back and find the machine too difficult to use, but they convinced me to give up my lightweight Dyson to "get a discount". Now, the machine sits in my closet, and I'm going to have to come up with the money to buy another Dyson! Beware of their sales techniques - they are not upfront at all. Also, when I've called and left messages at the company, I haven't gotten a return call. They seem all warm and friendly in your home, but that's just to get the sale. I won't let another salesperson in my home after this experience.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Kathy. Thank you for letting us know about your experience. We apologize that it did not meet your expectations. Kirby vacuums are sold through independently owned and operated distributorships that perform in-home demonstrations to show off the Kirby system’s many features and performance capabilities. The Kirby Company requires all authorized distributors of its products to operate legally and ethically. Please call our Customer Relations department at 1-800-494-8586 or email us at consumer@kirbywhq.com so that we may address your concerns.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2012

In a moment of weakness, we spent $1,600 on a Kirby vacuum. Shortly after purchase, the belt broke. It has been replaced twice since then. We have had the

vacuum a year and a half. This is not acceptable performance. We have been told by the dealer that belts break but cannot explain why, nor does he care about this. This is also not acceptable. He also told me that he could not afford to drive all the way up there, about a 60 mile round trip, to take a look at the problem. Kirby headquarters also won't deal with this, referring me to the sham dealer that sold me the unit. I am reporting him to the BBB. I know that it is under warranty, but it is a headache to keep running the 30-mile round trip to the nearest Kirby dealer. If we don't get a satisfactory response to this problem, I will report this complaint as well. Thank you for your time.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2012

Whatever Kirby sales people tell you, you can count on it being a lie. First of all, they knocked on our door and said they were a carpet cleaning business that is opening a new store and would like to clean one room for free. Had we known they were vacuum sales people, we would have never let them overhaul our Saturday night (they were there for 3 hours). They used the line that the sales man needed our purchase to get a trip to Hawaii, which apparently is also a lie. They offered to pay the taxes on the machine only to find out later that they did not. Also, they promised me the credit check was a soft check and not a hard inquiry. I woke up this morning to not one, but two hard inquiries on my credit. I do not regret buying the product, I do regret trusting these people that weaseled their way into my home and lied to my face.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2012

Kirby should be more careful who they allow to represent their products! What a bunch of unprofessional people lacking moral ethics! They no-showed me twice. When they finally did show up an hour late for appointment, they said, “Your carpet is too dirty for a whole cleaning - I can only do a small spot.” The price was high, but I owned a Kirby in the past, so I know the quality. I hold out till the price is right, bargaining in a few extras (bags, belts, shampoo and floor care kit) before I purchased it. No regrets. I love the machine. 3 weeks later and many promises and phone calls, I still don't have my promised products. People I gave as a referral are angry about their experiences with unprofessional salespersons! Insulting and rude, they failed to actually clean the carpet as promised. It's a sham to get into your house. Go online and purchase. Save yourself a bunch of aggravation! I am unable to return my machine - which I would - and I would repurchase through a reputable dealer - eBay! Stay away from the Auburn, MA company!

Original review: Sept. 30, 2012

What a bad experience. I was open enough to listen but the pretenses they use about a new local cleaning company they are trying to promote is false and just a way to hide the fact that they are demonstrating Kirby vacuums. I now know why. Who in their right mind ever spend that much money for a vacuum? I am writing this complaint so others would realize that Kirby reps use practices that make you feel like their vacuum is superior. But understand that you only see their demonstration - any decent vacuum will perform the same.

And when I pushed back, they brought in another person that was insulting. I actually had fun exposing them but then it did turn ugly. Be aware. I literally had to be forceful to kick them out. But what's more concerning is when I found out later that the police had to be called when they were threatening other residences with children involved. Later that same day, I talked to another residence who came to the rescue of his neighbor when they refused to leave another residence and called the police. Be aware. I am not saying that Kirby is a terrible vacuum but it is sold through fear and intimidation. It is certainly not worth what they try to sell it for. It is only a vacuum and you can buy something else as good or better for a few hundred bucks. I made a mistake letting the guy in - but he was young and we thought of giving him a chance.

However, when he started with a $2,400 vacuum, I knew it was a joke. We never expected it would have to get so ugly just to get my point across. As a side note, the original sales person left with shaking my hand. I felt bad because these sales people are under so much pressure to close the deal any way they can. What bothers me are the sales and marketing strategies that this company teaches their sales people, who are forced to use such deceptive practices to take advantage of people who maybe don't know better or are intimated in purchasing a product that is mediocre at best.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2012

Yesterday, September 28, 2012, a Kirby vacuum salesman (who said he wasn't selling anything) came to our house. He said he'd make $50 if he could just demonstrate and $50 more if he could shampoo it. Well, my mom told him to go ahead against my protests. He left those round discs with dirt everywhere on our antique furniture and didn't clean it up. The carpet was completely soaked (he said it would dry in 15 to 20 minutes). It was still wet at midnight. He left the kitchen in a mess with sandy mud where he was filling the shampooer.

He told my mom he would put our vacuum back up when he was through and he didn't. My mom is 88 years old and she didn't appreciate any of this or his smart, rude attitude. My vacuum was left with the cord twisted around and he said it was torn up when it wasn't. The girl that was with him said he'd leave us a bag for our vacuum and he did not. His name is Brandon and the phone number he left was **. So far I have contacted the BBB, Kirby, and the state attorney general of Florida. I'm also contacting the Federal Trade Commission and getting a no trespass form from the court house for any Kirby people that will come on my property.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners Company Information