2. Homeowners
  3. Vacuum Cleaners

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners Reviews

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.65/5

For nearly one-hundred years, The Kirby Company has manufactured superior, American-made home cleaning systems. Kirby does not sell directly to the public but continues a long tradition of distributing its home cleaning systems through independent distributors, who are responsible for running their own businesses. Over the years, this distribution system has afforded thousands of men and women the opportunity to live the American dream of owning and operating their own businesses.

Experience has taught us that customers prefer to try our premium cleaning systems in their own homes before purchasing. Customer satisfaction is our top priority. If customers have any questions or concerns regarding the in-home demonstrations of Kirby cleaning systems or the cleaning systems themselves, please email us at consumer@kirbywhq.com, or call us at 800-494-8586, Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., EST.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kirby Vacuum Cleaners?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kirby?

Original review: Aug. 19, 2013

My first part after my husband purchased the Kirby, representatives left my house, went to my mom's who passed July 16th from cancer. After coming to the door my mom told them no. One, she doesn't own any carpet but second, she has a 10 year old Kirby in her attic she didn't use anyway. After they tried to push their way in but I intervened, they then pulled across my mom's lawn, cut her grass up. When I got home I called the number they left from their dispatch out of Durham, NC. They claimed to not know them and told me all she could do was go get the mini van's tags and call the police, nothing they could do.

My main reason for the review a year and six months of my husband paying monthly on this vacuum, it doesn't have suction anymore. They won't send anyone out and no authorized repair person wouldn't fix it because they wouldn't give me a referral. After speaking to 4 different people they want me to continue to try stuff on it myself. I have 3 boys and paying approximately $1500.00 Or more for it. Now I still got to be a repairman really...

Original review: Aug. 19, 2013

Out of the blue, two reps knocked on our door with a small bottle of dishwashing detergent. I let them in - I am a sales person and know how hard cold calling is and I called my husband to hear the spiel, since I'm not the one who vacuums. Hubby thought it could help save us from replacing the carpet on the stairs. I SPECIFICALLY asked about the return policy (3 biz days) and restocking fee (I was told $10). We were told we could get this price of $1100 if we sent our Electrolux as a trade in.

We decided it wasn't worth the 1100 and the next day, husband went to the office on the distributors card to get our old vacuum back and get our money back. Patrick told him $50 return fee (rip off) and 10 days to get our money back. WE waited 10 days, and when no check arrived we tracked him down and he told my husband he could write a check but it would bounce. We told him it would be way easier and cheaper to just return our money. Kirby told us they have nothing to do with distributors and don't get any money from them (huh??). Shame on us for having faith in a legal document with KIRBY written all over it. It's a horrible racket. If we get our money I'll repost the results.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hello Mrs. Borek, I spoke with your husband Steven yesterday and confirmed the refund information to him. He was happy to hear the resolution finally came. We again apologize for the delay and appreciate the patience as we mediated this matter for your husband and yourself.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2013

The salesman was pushy. It was evening time and he did not tell us about the three day return policy. We bought the machine we thought it was 30 days return policy. When we called for refund they told us we cannot so we are stuck with it and also very heavy and is not user friendly.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2013

I was told by the sales person that since these are minor stains that they will come right out. Well they have yet to come out. I wish that sales person would come back to my front door. I would take my old vacuum cleaner back and throw him out of my yard.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2013

Got a new Kirby a month ago. 3 belts have been ate up after the first 2. I had someone who sold Kirby's to come put the 3rd one on and after 2 times of sweeping it was burnt up also. I called the office. The lady was rude and didn’t have much to say. She said you didn’t put it on the right way. I asked her what she was going to do since this sweeper is 30 days old and I paid a lot of money for this brand new sweeper. She didn’t say anything.

I told her I had a lifetime warranty on it. She said, “Well bring it into the office and I will look at it.” I said fix it. She said no, look at it. So I have to drive 2 hrs away to take my expensive brand new 30 day old sweeper to someone who is just going to look at it. I will NEVER buy a Kirby EVER again. This is the worst sweeper and people I have ever had to deal with. I will make sure I tell everyone I know about the Kirby sweeper and what kind of customer service I received.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2013

About two and half weeks ago I was solicited at my home by a Kirby door-to-door salesman. Even though I repeatedly told him I was unemployed and had no income he continued his sales pitch for 2 hours! I finally said I'd buy the dammed thing and he had my lie on the sales contract stating that I was currently employed by my former employer though I told him several times that I had left that job seven months ago. I tried repeatedly to cancel the purchase during the three day grace period, but couldn't get through to a customer service representative. I used the Kirby roughly 5 times since I bought it 17 days ago and it no longer works. I have taken it apart 6 times trying to clear clogs of carpet & pet hair and it just doesn't work.

Every time I have taken it apart it seems to operate worse than it did prior; it will hardly suck anything up and has to be jammed across the carpet. I am a full time student, living at home and I thought I would purchase this vacuum as a gift for my mother, but instead it's turned into a $2,000 lemon! I have to pay the full amount of $1997 to have the company take it away, or spend $35 and take time out of my schedule to wait on a repairman to service this vacuum less than 20 days after purchase! DO NOT BUY THIS PIECE OF JUNK!!!!!

Original review: Aug. 3, 2013

They called me for a demonstration on the carpet cleaning and I said yes but never called, never showed up. How unprofessional is that? I also tried to call them with the phone number they gave me and never any answer to that number.

Original review: July 31, 2013

He was pushy. I bought it and have hated it since!! It's too big, it's too bulky and it has never worked right. The belt continuously comes off... It doesn't shampoo, it just pushed the soap around on the floor.... I bought the Sentria upright and paid 1200 plus for it and I now have it on a garage sale site for 250 dollars and will not even get that much out of it! So yes I am very dissatisfied with Kirby!

Original review: July 26, 2013

A telemarketer from Kirby called on 7/24 and talked me into participating in a customer review trial of their product. After turning her down a couple times she finally convinced me to do it with the incentive of a trial cleaning of my couches. She then informs me that it has to be the following night, 7/25. I agreed as long as it was at 7pm because I work until 6pm. She tells me it's no problem. "The guys take appointments until 9." The next night I get off work at 6 and try to run to the grocery store thinking I have an hour. I get a call from my kid at 615pm saying the guys already there. I turn around and go home. I was getting annoyed. Not a good way to start a review.

I get home and say to the guy "I wasn't expecting you until 7." He says, "Oh well, you are here now. I changed your time because I wanted to get my day done early"... WHAT? So his time is apparently more important than mine. Okay... So we continue with the review. He proceeds to ask me about cleaning my carpets. I informed him the same thing I told the telemarketer that I rent my home and do not want to take the chance of damaging my landlord's carpet. In a very snotty tone this man says, "This machine/company has been around for a hundred years. It's not going to hurt your carpets." At this point my husband and I had heard enough. We told him he had to leave.

After yelling more rude and explicit language to my husband, he left. I come to find out later that he was also rude to my neighbor whom I share a duplex with. He parked in her driveway and she came out and informed him of the mistake and asked him to move over to my driveway. After moving his car he yelled out to her "is this okay for you nosy lady?" I am not likely to do business with Kirby anytime soon.

Original review: July 13, 2013

Now, let me tell you that this experience is from when the GSIX was still being sold. My parents had actually not heard of the whole "We'll shampoo your carpet." Instead, they wanted a Kirby (since my grandma had one for 17 years at that point) so they contacted the local Kirby distributor. I'll give you the rundown. The first guy wouldn't leave the property, so my dad brought down his baseball bat. That scared the guy off. The second guy was kind and they actually bought the Kirby from them.

Most people are dissatisfied with the salesmen, and the people who say that the Kirby they bought died the next day are either liars or received a unit that was left outside and had some real problems. There have been 4 Kirbys in my family. Two of them have been bought via door-to-door salesmen. One Heritage II, two G6's, and a Sentria. My grandma's Heritage II died after 26 years of service so she bought a used G6 and it's been running strong for 3 years. My parent's G6 has been running strong for the past 13 years and it won't be dying anytime soon.

Lastly, I bought myself a used Sentria off of Craigslist, which has been sitting outside for 2 years and has sucked up some pretty nasty stuff. After a good cleaning, it runs like it's brand new. I love it. So if you are not impressed by the Kirby a salesman shows you, tell them to forcefully leave, and either buy a GSix, G7 (Diamond), Sentria, or a Sentria II from eBay or Craigslist. I swear you won't be disappointed. I don't agree with the sales tactic, but if are really that impressed, go with a used one. If you find one that's dirty, take it to your local vacuum store and they'll fix it right up.

Original review: July 11, 2013

My Kirby has stopped gliding across the floor. It will go easy for a few swipes, and then it's like it puts on brakes. It's all I can do to push it. I have a bad back, and the reason I bought the Kirby was because it felt like it was self-propelled. It pretty much pulled itself. Now, it will glide for a few strokes, and then it hangs up like the brakes are on. But it will try to go backward by itself. I have took this vacuum to Salisbury three times now, but I still have the same problem. The manager says he can push it fine, and I told him he doesn't have a bad back. It is still hard to push. One of the other salesmen told me the new Kirby had corrected that problem, so I know by that that there is a lot of complaints out there. This has been my 3rd time with the same problem. I want a new one now because mine is a lemon. The man does not know how to work on these machines. What can I do to get mine replaced with a new one?

Original review: July 10, 2013

On June 12, 2013, there was a Kirby salesman at my parents' house when I got home from work. I watched the salesman do parts of his spiel and decided I could do a lot with this. So I purchased one. After purchasing it all that night I regretted buying it so the very next day I called and talked to Jessica and she said they had already charged my card but Randy, the salesperson, would call me to pick it up. Never did I receive a call from Randy so I called back. On June 22nd, Randy without calling showed up to pick it up. During this whole time, I was calling Jessica to see when they were going to credit my card and the response was, "When Randy gets time, he will credit you." As of July 9th, I have yet to see a credit on my card or a phone call from anyone in their office. I'm still trying to get my money back.

Original review: July 3, 2013

The two salespeople who did the demonstrating and contract were very personable and friendly. The idea of using guilt to enhance their salesmanship (i.e. we NEED the bonuses, we NEED the sales, we NEED to get our tuition paid, etc.) was effective. Based on the demonstration, we made the purchase using a check. After they left, I did some research including reading the 833 complaints and experiences of people like myself, and some reviews of the product and its support services. It turns out that the device is far overpriced. Many folks had unfavorable experiences with payments, operation of the device, getting service when it was needed, and overall were unhappy with the experience. Many had their machines taken in exchange and after cancelling the sale, they were unable to get them back. Others had trouble getting their money back.

I did some further research and found the company I was dealing with had a D- rating with the local BBB. They claim not to be members of the BBB (a warning flag) and so that couldn't be so. However, it is listed on the BBB site, so why would they misrepresent this business? So since the reviews overwhelmingly noted the machine was overpriced, support was hard to get, and service was also poor, I cancelled my order within the 3-day limit. They don't make it easy. I sent a telegram, fax and registered letter to get their attention. Fortunately, I also stopped payment on the check at the same time. It cost a few dollars, but was worth it. They knew I meant business. The sales representative came and got the device within an hour; my money remained in my account, and I was happy I got out of a bad situation.

I would recommend you not leave any salesman who comes to your house inside. These days, there is no telling what could happen. I think the day of this type of salesmanship is over and should join the history books.

Original review: June 29, 2013

First, let me say that I feel very bad at the unprofessional experiences these dear people received. I sold Kirby's back when I was 17. I did not want to be in sales at the time, but what the heck, I would make an effort and be able to say I tried. I went through the training and did my demos to family and friends. I did enjoy showing the product and meeting so many wonderful people. My first sale was a surprise. The older gentleman (they were all older, I was 17) welcomed me in to his home, and it was a free shampoo or wax offer. Well, I was mortified he had 40-year old furniture and NO carpet, just throw rugs. Not to be undone, I gave him my best demo on a throw rug, and when it came time to close the sale, I called the office as instructed (remember, this was my first). My office manager answered and attempted to talk me through the sale. I asked the customer if he found the demo to his liking. I pointed out the best features, and I asked if he would like to have it. He stated yes, he did.

I then asked, of the products I showed, what he wanted. He stated ALL. I said, “Okay, and how would you like to pay?” Now remember, my manager is still on the phone and offering that we can finance. My customer said CASH!!! Well, I was flabbergasted (as my manager!). I asked why he wanted it, being he had only older furniture and bare floors. He stated that he was completely impressed with my demo. He further stated that he had purchased new furniture and carpet and was due the following week; and that it would most likely make his new furniture last longer, as I told him it would with the proper maintenance with the Kirby. I was not rude or pushy. I just showed just what a great product could do. I showed how to use it by just clicking down until the motor sound changes, no further as it would be like pushing a large load of dirt with a spoon (which unfortunately, most users do think, the lower the better). He gave me cash and I left the KIRBY.

WOW! I did not believe it. I further had many good times demo and selling my Kirby. And yes, there were very many who did not want one; and after I went through their objections and pointing out the positives, I said, “Fine. If you can't, perhaps you know who does.” My best no-sale resulted with them keeping me for dinner - yes, dinner! They would not let me leave and gave me referrals as well. I just want to say it’s not a scam, but maybe misunderstood. I also agree that there are some who are misrepresenting the company and should be reported. I have NEVER been forced to leave a customer’s home - maybe because I respected them first. So please, if you have an opportunity to purchase a Kirby, be it new or used, it is the best made and outperforms all, including the Dyson. It’s the only one that does pick up the carpet and pulls all of the dirt from under, as well as from the carpet. Do a web search and see. I know I have had one for 40+ years. See if any other vacuum can last and perform that long!!! Thank you so much for reading my long comment, but I just wanted to put in my 2 cents or 25 cents in.

Original review: June 29, 2013

I will never purchase another Kirby Vacuum again. It’s definitely not worth the enormous price! It smells, it's heavy, and it’s hard to attach different attachments! I traded in my Electrolux for it, and I missed it from day 2 and ever since! Beware people, they put on a good show for you, but don't bother. It's not worth a quarter of what you will pay!

Original review: June 28, 2013

I purchased a Kirby Home Cleaning System after a demonstration in my home on June 18, 2013. They took my Electrolux vacuum cleaner as a trade-in on the Kirby. After considering the cost of the product, I experienced buyer's regret and called to cancel the transaction on June 19, 2013. Representative Don ** along with Andrew ** came to my home on June 21, 2013 and reclaimed the Kirby System but did not return MY vacuum cleaner. Don ** said that he wasn't expecting this and told me that someone would return my vacuum the next day, June 22, 2013. No one showed up... I called his office and left a message with Jeannie to have Don ** call me on June 24, 2013. I never received a return call. On June 25, 2013, I called again. On June 26, I called again.

On June 27, 2013, I called yet again and was told that my vacuum would be returned to me on June 28, 2013 between 11:00 am and 12:30 pm. On June 28, 2013, I received a call from Jeannie saying that the car broke down and that my vacuum would be returned to me in the evening. I told her that if I didn't have my property returned to me by 5:00 pm that I would register a complaint with the police, the Better Business Bureau and the Kirby Company. I have just placed a call to the number provided by the salesman and there is no answer. Time is 5:37 pm, June 28, 2013.

Original review: June 24, 2013

They claim that using their product is easy to use that even the elderly can use it. This is a lie. The vacuum is extremely heavy and difficult to move around in a room. It did not pick up all the dirt on the carpet. I had to have my son go around after and pick up the pieces of trash it left on the floor. Also, the use of the extra attachments are very difficult to figure out and when you are in the middle of trying to vacuum with a very heavy vacuum, stopping and trying to figure out how to put on the attachments is wasting time and energy that you need to finish cleaning. I do not like this product and would not recommend it to to anyone. We have a housekeeper that comes once a week to clean some parts of the house and she refused to use the Kirby because of the difficulty it requires to use.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hello Tracey, Please give our technical support department a call at 1-800-437-7170, they are available to assists with any questions for your Kirby.

Original review: June 20, 2013

Clearly, everyone here has had the same experience, so I'll try to make it short. I am familiar with the Kirby vac and have high vacuum needs. I have a Dalmatian who sheds and leaves hair flying all over our house all the time. In the past 7 years, I have had at least 7 different vacuums. My husband DID purchase a Kirby. I'm shocked that he did it, but he did. But I base my purchase decisions on customer service and had it been my decision, I would have said HELL NO.

I have to start by saying I don't have any respect for this company's practices AT ALL. They lure people who are desperately in need of money with false claims of the money they're going to make. When you see their ads in the paper, they don't mention Kirby or door-to-door sales. The "kids" that sold me my vacuum had been roaming the city in a van all day. They hadn't eaten in many hours and were asking for glasses of water, popsicles, coffee, etc. One kid went back to the van and when I went outside, I saw him eating plain bread out of a bread bag. I asked the female if they were going to eat after they left (it was past 7:00) and she said, "No. To eat, you need money. Unfortunately, we'll be doing sales until 10 or 11 tonight."

First of all, there were a total of FOUR sales people in and out of my 630 square foot house! Two of them were "trainees." Once they got in, they treated my house like their own which made me highly uncomfortable. Two of the guys actually fell asleep at different times during the demo. Three of them were very shabbily dressed, did not look professional or trustworthy at all. One man was so large he couldn't keep his pants up and I saw way more of this man's backside than I needed to see. Only the head honcho was nicely dressed, but even he came in talking about how he had "dropped a cherry" in his lap (burning cigarette ash) and had burned a hole in his pants. Two of the trainees excused themselves to smoke and twice they discussed buying and smoking marijuana.

They stayed on my property for SIX HOURS! I could've died. I have a two-year old that I sent with the neighbor kids because he was restless. When the kids broke out the water hose, one of the guys actually started playing with them and began spraying down his co-workers while they were vacuuming out my OPEN car. It was a total debacle. Once my husband arrived home and they were trying to close the deal with him, I finally announced that I was "shutting this operation down." It was time for dinner and hubby needed to make his decision and they had to leave. I was appalled when he opted to buy the vacuum. They lure you in with a promise to shampoo your carpet, which I desperately needed. But after 6 hours, they never did the job.

The supervisor returned the next day claiming he had lost my husband's application. (Now, I'm wondering where it went and how much of our personal information was on that piece of paper.) Mind you, they tell you they'll only be in your neighborhood "today only." So if you want their deal, you have to act immediately. But when Matt showed back up at our door, he started bragging about how he'd sold three more vacs that day. Obviously, he'd been in the area all day. I find it hard to believe that a company with such a high quality product cannot afford to hire better quality sales people, properly train their sales people on appropriate customer service, and come up with a better marketing plan all together.

I feel sick and guilty that we bought this vacuum cleaner. I'm sure we did all those kids a favor but I typically make it a point not to spend my money with companies who mistreat their employees. Kirby exemplifies that. If you buy a Kirby, please buy from eBay or a retail store. DO NOT ALLOW KIRBY SALES PEOPLE IN YOUR HOME AND DO NOT PURCHASE A VACUUM FROM AN INDEPENDENT SALES PERSON! Maybe if they lose sales with their disgusting practices, they will find another way to sell their product.

Original review: June 17, 2013

They come in with dawn offering to give it to us free (not even mentioning a Kirby) and took a whole hour explanation on "how it works". Very bad service and don't let them in. PRICE IS OUTRAGEOUS! No permits at all. Bottom line, don't let them in.

Original review: June 15, 2013

I am a woman in my 50's with severe back and knee injuries. I live with my daughter and son-in-law. Yesterday afternoon, at about 4:30, I was out in front of my house watering the lawn and my kids were out of town for the evening. A young woman approached me and handed me a post card/sales card and told me that she was trying to win a cruise from Kirby and told me that they would come in and shampoo the carpet of one room of my home for free. She asked me if I was familiar with Kirby Vacuums. I told her that I was as we had one when I was a kid and actually, recently our vacuum cleaner had broken and my son-in-law was dying to buy a Kirby. I told her that if the shampooing was free, "by all means, shampoo our carpet."

I also told her that my daughter and son-in-law were not home for the evening and my son-in-law would be the one to make the final decision on a purchase. She said they would be in our area until 9PM. I told her they wouldn't be home until very late; however, I had the authority to make decisions in the home so it was okay for them to come in while they were not home, and I would be calling them to tell them of the offer. She told me she had to move on to the next house, but that her supervisor would be by in about 15 minutes. I agreed and started moving all the furniture out of the living room and corralled our two VERY large dogs into the bathroom (neither being easy to do).

As per her promise, a few minutes later the supervisor showed up. He checked out the carpet and I explained to him that my son-in-law really wanted a Kirby and if they had a payment plan, would very likely contact them today to discuss a purchase of the machine. I also explained to them that we have an 8-month-old baby who has recently started crawling and that within minutes of being on the floor, his feet tops, hands and knees are black. That we also needed a vacuum that worked well and we would use on a daily basis. I also told him that I had called my daughter and told her of the visit. Her husband was very excited and told me to have them leave a sales packet so he could look it over when he got home later in the evening and call them today.

The supervisor said he had to go pick up his girls and would be right back to get the carpet for the baby. I told him I would be done moving everything off the carpet by the time he got back (which I did and ended up messing up my bad knee when doing so). Once done, I sat down and waited for their return. I waited and waited and waited. They never returned (not even to tell me they could not do the demonstration today). Three hours later, I finally decided they were not coming back, put everything back in place and proceeded to make myself some dinner. When my kids got home at about midnight, the first thing my son-in-law did was ask me where the Kirby sales packet was. When I told him that they never returned, he was VERY disappointed. He said that he had every intention of buying their product today.

We live in a very small rural mountain community. Everyone has dogs, cats and other animals and it is very dusty up here so a lot of dust, pet hair and dirt gets deep into carpets. Right after the girl left to get her supervisor, I was on Facebook and saw that several of our friends had been visited by Kirby yesterday and had their carpets cleaned. They all said if the vacuum wasn't so expensive, they would buy one because they were amazed at how deeply the machine cleaned. However, in all of the posts, the one negative thing was how long their sales pitch is and how difficult it was to get the salespeople to leave. I, however, didn't mind because we had very serious interest in the purchase.

This is a very poor sales practice and the supervisor basically screwed himself as well as his team out of a sale/commission. I have sent a formal complaint to Kirby's corporate office and hopefully they do get back to us because even after this experience, my son-in-law still intend on purchasing their product. However, I will make certain that the supervisor from yesterday does not get any credit/commission for the sale.

Original review: June 7, 2013

We had a knock at our door and there stood a young petite lady who foisted a package at me and began talking very fast. By the time I glanced down to see what she had thrust at me, I told her we have our own laundry detergent that we use. Within a blink of an eye, she was back holding a vacuum cleaner and in our home, talking very fast the whole time and began doing demonstrations on our room floor. The suction was impressive. She kept up a nonstop chatter. I went to go get my husband who was working outside to witness this.

At varying times, we tried to get her to say a price regarding this product, but it was skirted with nonstop chatter and more demonstrating! We had no idea she was going to be here for over 3 hours!!! My husband was late for a meeting because of her lengthy stay. My husband wrote a check and signed the form. After she left, we mulled over what we had done. We had second thoughts. The next day, I called and cancelled our contract. Then I had my husband mail in our cancellation on the contract. We placed many phone calls to come get their equipment. I did not use the vacuum cleaner since we weren't going to keep it. We had gathered all their attachments, paper brochures, and DVD in their special box.

What a run-around we got. Phone calls were not returned, answers of whoever we needed to talk to not being available, and to call back tomorrow. They finally came and retrieved their vacuum cleaner. Again, we waited for our money back. More phone calls placed. We were even told, "The check is in the mail!” Wrong! More phone calls made, more runaround, call back tomorrow, we'll call you, and we will be at your home after 3pm. We did a whole lot of waiting for nothing!!! My husband phoned again 2 days ago and was told a check would be written right away and mailed. He would have it by Friday. Well, it's Friday. We received our mail and guess what? No check! Imagine that?

So my husband phoned again, and was told he would get a call back. We waited 15 minutes, no call back. So my husband called again. He was told again that a check was written and mailed out 2 days ago. Tomorrow will be a month since my husband wrote out a check for a down payment of over $500. I had never heard of Kirby vacuum cleaners before, but will make it a point to tell all the people I know about their service. The vacuum appears to be made very well, but there are too many attachments, it’s too expensive, and too heavy to lift upstairs to cart around. I realize that salespeople are just doing their job, but they need to be upfront concerning the cost of the item. I don't think the public appreciates the pushiness of the hard-sell. I now have a “No Solicitors” sign at our front door.

Kirby needs to have a different approach with potential customers, like a store to have customers come in to them, have a lighter weight product, come down in price, and ditch the hard-sell approach, which is a turn-off. I have always heard that "word of mouth” is the best advertising there is. I am sure there are other good vacuum cleaners on the market without the cost, weight, the hard-sell approach and much better customer service relations. I find it hard to believe that with this kind of response, the company could still be in the business all the many years they claim. We are disappointed.

Original review: June 1, 2013

This company markets their vacuum through home demonstrations. Nothing wrong with that, however, leading someone on with vague promises is wrong. Case in point: I was out and about today and received a call from someone stating that I had been given a gift certificate from my friend (she gave me my friend's name). I'm not actually sure about what she said, but I got the impression that she was selling a "cleaning service" and that these gift certificates for a free cleaning of one room was their way of getting the word out. That sounded reasonable to me. She said that they had a cancellation and that if I could be home at 11:30, they would do two rooms. Fine, I said even though I had other plans.

I dropped by my friend on the way home to find out what this was about. I soon learned that it was a sales pitch for a vacuum cleaner. Well, I don't need a new vacuum cleaner. I have a Dyson and I love it. She said that they were at her house for about three hours. The price started at $2,500, then went to $1,500 and then went to $1,200.00. I said, "Thanks for getting me hooked into this. I'm calling and cancelling." Of course, there was no answer. So I went home and when the person showed up, I met them outside, said I had cancelled, and was not interested. He didn't go away, so I got very firm and said, "You have to leave or I'm dialing 911." He said he had to talk with his supervisor. I said, "You have one minute and then I dial 911."

He got the supervisor on the phone and handed it to me. I told the supervisor I wasn't interested. He kept yapping and yapping and I finally said, "Look, I'm 63. What that means is that most of my life is behind me and I don't like to have my time wasted and three hours to get carpets cleaned is a waste of my time." He kept on yapping and so I handed the phone back to the guy and told him to leave as this was private property. He did turn around and went. Lesson learned. If they make it into your house and overstay their welcome, tell them firmly to leave. Don't say you have other things to do. Just say, "I'm done. Please leave." If they don't leave, state that you will call the police if they don't. It's such a scam. No vacuum in the world is worth it. JUST SAY NO!

Original review: May 30, 2013

I know that the door to door salesmen are doing their jobs and are out to support their families. I don't think anyone would argue that point. But taking advantage is another thing. Last week a salesman knocked on the door of my mother-in-law. She let the two people in. They began their spill about the sweeper. It sounded good to her and as she said, they were so nice. She repeatedly told them she didn't want the sweeper. First of all, she is 87 years old. She has to walk with a walker and really has a tough time navigating it. She can't run a sweeper and walk along with the walker. They stayed at her house until nine that evening. She is usually in bed by 8.

They finally convinced her to buy. They set up the financing for her. She traded in an Oreck sweeper (which she really loved). They said they would give her a $1,000.00 for that sweeper. How can that be? I really think they took advantage of her. I was finally able to get a hold of the salesman and did get him to come pick it up. He set up a time so that my husband and I could be there when this happened. I called to verify this and he told me he could not come at that time. He arranged a time in the middle of the day. I made few phone calls and had someone come to be there when he arrived. I think he did not want to listen to what we had to say about his tactics. Thanks for listening. I feel better already.

Original review: May 29, 2013

I love my Kirby Vacuum!!! So much negativity on here about the Kirby, but it's really not the vacuum everyone is upset with. It is the Door-to-Door Salesman. Not sure how a salesman pushes himself into a home or forces someone of buy a vacuum or anything else for that matter. They are working and doing their job of being a door-to-door salesman. If you don't want them in your home, tell them NO and shut the door. We all do this daily with internet, Satellite TV, landscapers and whoever else should come to solicit at your door. Just tell them no, you're not interested!!! Pretty easy.

I have never worked for Kirby and am not a salesman, but I must defend a good product amongst all this negativity. Bought my first Kirby Vacuum about 15 years ago. With several dogs, cats and a large yard, I find this to be the best vacuum made. Never has broken down or had to be repaired. Just keeps on working, removing dirt, dander, pet hair and whatever else is in my home. It is a very good, durable product!! I have spent 15 years in janitorial and facility maintenance, and this is the best residential (and commercial) vacuum out there. Much easier to use than the high priced, commercial models.

In my 15 years of Kirby ownership, I would have burned up many of those cheapy models. I know my Kirby will keep on going strong for another 15 years. For the $1,100 (1998), I have a vacuum (with carpet cleaner and all attachments) that will last me a lifetime. The thing is solid!! So if you're on here to look at Kirby online reviews, the Kirby is a very good product IMO and should last forever. If you're mad about a door-to-door salesman, he's just trying to do his sales job to make a buck to feed his family. If you can't afford a nice vacuum to make your cleaning easier, then tell them NO at the door. Nothing is free, so if they want to clean your carpets for FREE, understand that you will also need to hear their sales pitch on the product that is cleaning your carpet for free.

Original review: May 27, 2013

I was asked if Kirby could come and do a demo at my house. Having had one many years ago, I agreed. The salesman Mohamed promised that their back up service was great and his manager Kavir phoned me about 5 times trying to convince me to buy the Kirby. I was told that the salesman also needed this sale to win a competition. So with this in mind, I agreed to buy it. Initially, it was to be done over a period of time, my deductions. But when I gave my credit card number, they had drawn it all at once. I discovered it immediately and was promised that this would be sorted out. Subsequent to that, I spoke with the manager and was given a cash price of less R500 so I allowed the transaction to go through provided they return my R500. It was agreed but to date, I have not received anything. My belt on the Kirby broke and it took 3 weeks + to get it replaced. The salesman stopped taking my calls, yet prior to that, he was willing to chat. I would not recommend that anyone purchase a Kirby if there is no branch in your city and especially from these guys. I am disappointed with their lack of professionalism.

Original review: May 20, 2013

Years ago, I sold Kirby Vacuums for around half a year. Reading the usually very amusing and sometimes sad tales on this page, I wanted to say a few things, to offer some insight. In some cases, I will defend the company, but in others, not so much. Ready on... People who say the product is not good honestly are not using it correctly. While the purpose of the in-home demonstration is to sell it, part of the focus is also showing how it's used properly. If it's difficult, you're doing it wrong. It's self-propelled, so I don't understand "hard to push". Just put it in gear. Even if the demonstrator did not properly show how to use it (and they're supposed to spend at least 15 minutes with someone AFTER making a sale, making sure they're comfortable with their new purchase), they do now come with DVDs which are there for a reason.

About trade-ins... they're not a scam, but they are a sham. You don't need to trade anything in to get the price lowered to the bare minimum. The trade-in is to make you feel like you're haggling. You can trade in a light bulb and get the same value. As a matter of fact, I didn't even know this when I was a dealer at first. I had to call the office once because a woman wanted to buy the machine but did not have a vacuum to trade. I was told it didn't actually matter, just give her the standard discount. People who traded in things like guns or cars (!) ... this I don't even understand. In that case, you likely got ripped off by a shady dealer (and not all of them are shady) who wanted to pawn your stuff. To the people who "want their old vacuum back", good luck. It's probably gone. Usually they have loads of vacuums lying around. Take your pick, but expecting it back... Why do you think they would hold on to them? The place I worked for dumped most of the trade-in vacuums at Goodwill.

There is not a lifetime warranty; there is a 3-year warranty. Some distributors falsely tell their dealers that there is a lifetime warranty. They are being dishonest to their employees who tell the customers this and yes, they do believe it most of the time. The lifetime guarantee is that they will service or refurbish your machine for either free or a nominal fee depending on what it is - it's all there in writing. That is coming from the distributors, who are not actually part of Kirby, and if they cease to exist, so does this guarantee. The actual warranty from Kirby lasts 3 years. A huge majority of the complaints on here are from victims of the van crews. Those people are the worst, and I sympathize with the people who fell in with their unscrupulous dealings. Telling you it will only last 15 minutes is a sham and a lie, and personally, I was always honest and would tell customers it was around 90 minutes. Sometimes it would take longer, sometimes less, but this was the average.

If someone had to leave at a certain time, I didn't want to waste my time NOT finishing the demo! I would reschedule! My advice: If your demo wasn't set up by a telemarketer, do not let anyone into your house. The reason the dealers do not have nice clothes, nice cars, their own business cards, etc., is because Kirby distributors treat their employees like trash. They make very little, but are promised thousands of dollars, cruises and all sorts of ridiculous prizes that are impossible to attain unless they spend all of their time doing these demos and are particularly good at it, and even then Kirby finds a way to screw them over. When you are hired, you are promised a set paycheck per week that you do a certain amount of demos (usually 15 in a week) and then a commission from sales that is 200 dollars per machine. What they DON'T tell you is that it's either/or, not both. You can't get the commission AND the paycheck, and it's very hard to actually do 15 demos in a week, AND the 15 demos=money only lasts for the first month of employment.

They also don't tell you that the 200-dollar commission is rarely seen, because this is only for prime loans and people who pay in full. The majority of people who buy this machine finance it, and unless they have perfect credit (and really, who does?) it's a subprime loan with no collateral. The dealer makes... 50 dollars. They do not get paid just for doing the demo. They do not get trips just for doing demos and they do not get "credit" college or otherwise for doing it. I deeply sympathize with the people who had experiences with dealers turning rude. We were not trained to be rude. Here's a small trade secret: The training video that shows how to do a demo, with actors as the demonstrator and customers... does not result in a sale. They showed that to show that most of the time, people say no. Yes, you can lower the price, haggle and try to sweet talk the person, but at least for us appointment people, once you are sure the person is NOT buying it, you still want them to have had a good experience. Why? Because you want sales leads from them. This is another reason not to deal with the van goons. They don't care about leads. They go door to door. Never let them in, ever.

The people who are kvetching about "I didn't know I only had 3 days to cancel" - Too bad, so sad. Yes, they probably didn't tell you this. I was trained to inform the customer of their rights, and I did so, but not everyone is trained to do so, and even some who are, don't. But any judge or COMPETENT lawyer will tell you that when you sign a legally binding contract, it is your responsibility to read it. Signing the dotted line and putting the date not only signifies your intention to honor your end of the bargain, but also that you understand the terms in full. I was raised to always read what I sign. It's a shame some people weren't.

To the people who say, "I told them to leave and they ignored me" - I simply don't believe you. They have to leave if you say leave. You probably didn't say leave. Saying "I have to be somewhere soon..." and dropping hints doesn't mean you said leave. If you can't bring yourself to say, "I'm sorry, but you're not going to be making a sale here today. This demonstration is over and I need you to pack everything up and leave," then you need go get some guts. And who cares if they need a ride? They can wait outside, not in your house. Of course they are deceptive in getting in. You're told you're getting a free cleaning - nothing is free. Yes, they are supposed to clean and shampoo one room for you, and yes this is free. But it is a sales pitch. But honestly, you don't have the right to be angry about it. If they told people, "Hey, can we set up this machine and talk to you about it for 90 minutes trying to sell it to you?” they'd never get any appointments. This is no different than being offered a free hotel stay and having to put up with a timeshare sales pitch. Nothing is ever truly free; grow up.

The reason that Kirbys are not sold in stores is twofold. One, the markup would make them more expensive than they already are (and dealers who tell you what the actual cost is are lying, no distributor would actually tell their dealers this info) and secondly the demonstration is important to actually showing how the machine works and how to use it. It is not newbie friendly, that's why they now come with DVDs. Lastly, have sympathy for the poor fools that do this. When I worked there, I had to use my own car and my own gas to drive many miles a day to different towns, often times for demos that would be cancelled at the last minute or to people who had no intention of buying it, but I had to do the entire demo anyway to try and get leads from them. I was not paid for my time unless I made a sale, and 9 out of 10 sales made, the distributor would tell me it was a subprime loan and I would get 50 dollars. Sometimes you can only sell 2 in a week, and you don't know if you're going to get 400 dollars or 100 dollars. To this day, I do not know and can never know if the whole subprime loan thing was a scam or not, if the distributor would just pocket the extra commission and send me on my way with 50 bucks.

These things are very tough to sell and Kirby dealers can get disparate. It's a harsh job with no benefits and no guaranteed paycheck for working 60 or 80 hour weeks. And if you felt unsafe having strangers in your home, think of how unsafe you can feel going into several strangers homes a day... It goes two ways. Sometimes they are shifty and nervous because they don't know if YOU are a maniac or a criminal. At times, I did not feel safe in certain houses - it's a truth that many fail to consider. Kirby dealers are promised the world; they are convinced that it is the best job in the world and that they are going to make thousands of dollars per week and win all sorts of fabulous prizes. Everyone has to stay "positive" at all times, and sometimes even have to attend sales seminars in which slogans and songs are pounded into their heads like brainwashing; and no, you don't get paid for attending these places; and yes, you have to drive there yourself. In retrospect, it was a job I was very glad to leave, and I wouldn't recommend anybody try it.

As for the actual Vacuum cleaners? They're the best on the market, and worth paying about 1100 to 1500 dollars on (people who are told they are 3500 or some ridiculous number are being lied to, the actual MSRP is on the side of the box), if you can afford it. How do you know if you can afford it? If you feel comfortable writing a check or handing over a credit card. Financing a vacuum cleaner is a ridiculous concept. If the only way you can have this thing is to pay monthly for it, you don't need it, no matter what horror stories of dust mites you are told.

Original review: May 16, 2013

I had a Kirby salesman come to my house. Nor will I ever buy a Kirby; however, I will never let a salesperson in my house to do a demo again. Not only was he pushy, he stayed longer than two hours. I asked him not to go back to my bedroom and he did. That was rude. Don't get me wrong, my house was clean but that's why it's called my bedroom!! When the lady and guy came to the house at 2 pm, I told them that I had to start dinner so they had to be done by 2:30. He didn't leave until after 4 pm. I tried to tell them I had a hair appointment w/ my best friend and he still stayed. It wasn't worth the "free" six pack of Pepsi when it took up all my time. The 15 min. for the carpet to dry - what a joke - it's still wet. Thanks but no, thanks!

Original review: May 16, 2013

I worked there and did lots of hours and sold 7 vacuums and they did not pay me a cent.

Original review: May 16, 2013

I am writing this because of my own experience. Hopefully, people will be able to read this, learn from my experience, and not have to go through what I went through. Here is my story. I live in Watertown, NY. A few months ago, I was looking on my local Craigslist for work. I saw a very vague ad under general help. It didn't say anything about the company name or what positions would be open. I called the number and was answered by personnel. When I call a number, I think that they should answer with the company name. Anyways, I said that I am responding to the notice or ad on Craigslist. The girl said that she wanted me to come in for an interview like in three hours that same day. I told her that I wouldn't be able to do that but was happy to come in that Monday for an interview.

I arrived that Monday to the office. I got out of my car and started walking to the front entrance. There was no sign on the building. Everyone was standing outside smoking. And I have to say that does not bother me but I don't think that's professional at all. I went into the office and was given an application, after I was looked at like I was a creature from Mars. Anyways, I filled out the application which didn't say anything about what position I was applying for. I was then called in for my interview. The girl who interviewed me was wearing way too much makeup and way too tight clothes. She never said what I would be doing, just said that the company has been in business for 99 years and that it must be a great company if it has been in business that long. The interview was extremely short like 10 minutes. In my opinion, that is not long enough for an interview. I was then told to call back between 6-7 that night. I called back and was informed that I got the job. I was told to come back the following Wednesday for orientation which was not paid, may I mention.

I came in for the following three days. At the beginning, they told me that I would be at the office calling people and setting up appointments. At the end of the training, I was informed I would be going door to door and knocking in, which means pushing yourself into someone's home and making them sit through a grueling 2 1/2 - 5 hour session. I quit that night because I felt I was lied to and extremely led on. Also, I have one last message. If your name is Time ** and you live on ** in Sackets Harbor, NY, you are full of **. You and Cassie lie to hundreds of people. You just want to lie to people. People, save yourselves. Don't let Kirby sales people into your home or go to the office and apply. The consequences are never ending.

Original review: May 16, 2013

A guy named Isaiah who works for y'all in the Duson and Scott, Louisiana area came into our house, pushed his way in while I just got home and started supper. He took all his equipment out not even asking if we wanted a demonstration. He stayed from 5:30pm until 10:00 last night. He proceeded to use our restroom, asked my daughter for a drink and then towards the end of his demonstration knowing we still had not had supper, took baths or any our family time, he asked for supper to eat and beer to drink. We made it very clear we could not afford it plus we get up at 3am for work and bedtime is at 8:30. It didn't bother him. He still pushed and pushed his limit. My husband and I thought it was very, very unprofessional, plus his manager left him there with no ride until after 10:30. That's when we finally got to do our normal routine after work. We are not satisfied with him.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners Company Information