2. Homeowners
  3. Vacuum Cleaners

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners Reviews

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.79/5

For nearly one-hundred years, The Kirby Company has manufactured superior, American-made home cleaning systems. Kirby does not sell directly to the public but continues a long tradition of distributing its home cleaning systems through independent distributors, who are responsible for running their own businesses. Over the years, this distribution system has afforded thousands of men and women the opportunity to live the American dream of owning and operating their own businesses.

Experience has taught us that customers prefer to try our premium cleaning systems in their own homes before purchasing. Customer satisfaction is our top priority. If customers have any questions or concerns regarding the in-home demonstrations of Kirby cleaning systems or the cleaning systems themselves, please email us at consumer@kirbywhq.com, or call us at 800-494-8586, Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., EST.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kirby Vacuum Cleaners?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kirby?

Original review: Dec. 24, 2013

My neighborhood has gone downhill in last 20 years. The first time I saw older gentleman I thought he was stepfather on my security camera. I told him I was not interested and did not make purchases without discussing with my husband. Today in Dec 23, 2013 a young girl rang my door. Thinking it was my beautiful daughter-in-law, I open it. I was expecting my mom and step dad shortly. She asks if she can demonstrate what turns out to be a Kirby vacuum. Next thing them older man was back and the young girl left. All alone with man I did not know. I had my pastor trying to call me, my mom came shortly. He said they were opening up store here which is downright lie. He went thru demonstration trying to show what things my new commercial grade vacuum left behind.

I have owned two Kirbys and hated them, they are not worth the money. I expressed concern for the young girl driving around knocking on doors. The man spewed out how I did not buy purchases without consulting my hubby. I recognized him then. Insulted me which made me defensive. I started getting angry thinking who is this man and realizing I had been scammed letting this person in my house. He ruined my only Christmas time with my mom. Lost his temper at me and question my faith saying he was feeling uplifted before he entered my phone. The little girl said they were trying to win a trip. He called into his manager asking my name and address so supposedly he, gets this bonus. Like a fool I gave it to him and like this other person I am scared they might come back and rob me.

The vacuum was over 3000 dollars, he dropped it down to 900 dollars. I said no. He never gave me his name nor card and I am realizing what a dummy I was because he used that little girl to get in home. He knew I would never had let him in. I have hidden security cameras everywhere and I am licensed to carry a weapon. But I want to know who the Hades he called and who has my name and address. I didn't appreciate his deception nor attitude. My husband said he had told him no, week earlier when I was ill. I wish I had asked who he was giving my name and address to. When I warn him this neighborhood has went bad, I stayed here to help my father-in-law who had cancer and was given 6 months to live but lived ten years. I want to move.

I asked if he tried this neighborhood that might actually want to buy one. He called them snobs not wanting working man like him in. He reminded me of an ex-con. I felt guilty thinking that but my hubby said he was the one that was deceptive and attacking my faith because I worried about that little girl. I am sure she has no training in self-defense nor target practice, I have been robbed few times so now I have all my bases covered in where I hid cameras and record and hide recorder. To be insulted, deceived, and my time ruined by this deception has me angry.

I am calling every Kirby near Conyers, Georgia and find out who took my name and address. I have No Solicitation signs posted. And I will look more clearly at who is walking around the. Neighborhood. I pray this is no scam to go back to break in. I am always at home and thankfully the constitution protects my right to defend my loved ones. I feel deceived and his outburst was unprofessional and scary. I looked up and there is no Kirby store in Conyers, Georgia and I called and there is no permit for any being built nor applied for permit to have one. So some older man whose name I was never given, is using a young girl to gain access to people in a neighborhood that has had a lot of break-ins.

Bless him if he is legit and needing income but no one in this economy can afford a 3000 dollar vacuum. You are lucky if you even have a job. I am making calls tomorrow to find out if he was legitimate and find out who he gave my address and name to. My hubby is right, he is not to feel sorry for, he knew I was not interested and used that girl to deceive. I have warned all the elderly neighbors I grew up with but the crime rate has shot up. I am not going to any place I do not know. Has anyone else had this happen in the Conyers, Georgia area? Did anyone get his card? He is not quite 6 ft, grey hair, a short grey beard, **, slim, blue eyes, missing tooth in back of mouth, slim frame with short petite blonde hair. ** girl wearing brown cap and jacket. I did not see what they were driving and I am too tired to rewind all cams to find out. They were in city part of Conyers, Georgia off of old Salem Road?

Original review: Dec. 20, 2013

I was approached yesterday afternoon, by a door to door salesman. He said they were opening a new cleaning supply store near here, and could he show me a few products? Next thing I know, he says he needs some floor space to demonstrate his products. In he comes with boxes, and starts to assemble a Kirby vacuum. Over four hours later he finally left. While he was polite, and courteous, I was totally taken by surprise with his tactics. Furthermore, he wanted to use my phone to make business calls to his manager, etc. These people were not local, and will probably not return.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2013

The Kirby salesmen were dropped off at our house and persistently asked if they could come in to demonstrate their product, not taking no for an answer. They stayed for 4 HOURS! There were two salesmen - one male, one female. The male was ok. He pretty much stayed quiet the whole time. But the female came into our home acting as if it were her own. She walks through my house on her own going through all the rooms, opening doors without permission! She even asked us to make her a sandwich!

She was very rude, especially considering we didn't want them to come in in the first place. Their visit was absolutely ridiculous! I felt as if my home were invaded. I couldn't believe they stayed for 4 hours! After repeatedly telling them we were not interested in their product. I was very disappointed with their service and neglect of the word "NO".

Original review: Dec. 19, 2013

I have had about three Kirby Hoovers upgrading them each time that we had one. My wife at the time said that they were too heavy for her to lift so I took it up the stairs for her. I really do think that people prefer different Hoovers to use other than a Kirby. I get on with it fine. I wouldn't be without my Hoover at all. I do get phone calls to say that a man will be in your area to come and see your hoover and do a good clean over on it. I am here to see that it is done properly which it is because it is stripped down and cleaned with a rag and WD forty and then cleaned with a rag. It is well done.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2013

About a year or so ago I was very desperate for a job and was looking at Craigslist constantly. I found this extremely vague add listing nothing about the company itself but promising $2,000 a month to begin and an immediate interview. I don't know why I thought for even a second that it would lead to something legit, but again I was desperate. Still a bit skeptical, I made sure to ask two straight-out questions: 1. do we have to buy anything or invest? 2. what is the name of the company? She said "no, we do not." And two, the name was "The 1, 2, 3 Group". I guess each location makes up some random name so that they don't have to name the company. I couldn't find anything about that name on the internet, so I guess I assumed that the company was new but also didn't have any complaints. Either way, I drove an hour to the interview and met with a woman. It was a small rented office with cheap furniture, nothing permanent and it looked like they moved in the day before. The woman I met with was.. interesting. Metallic blue eye shadow, lip liner and dark brown lipstick, drawn-in eyebrows and tacky fake nails. But hey, for $2,000 a month I'll pretend not to judge anyone. She explained that it was a vacuum sales company. I remember straight out asking her if we had to make our own appointments and she said "no, our "canvassers" do that for you, the appointment is already set up." The woman called me that evening to tell me I was hired.

There was 4 of us in the training, we were all about 18-22. The first day of training she spent literally over three hours telling us her entire life story. She began from when she was a kid, the first jobs she had, her first boyfriend, the most random things. We were all so confused and had no idea why we were wasting our time, in unpaid "training" sitting there listening to this woman talk about herself for three hours. Finally she started actually talking about the job, and she did this huge show about all these trips we would be taking. She made it all seem so easy and amazing, talking about how not only do we get $2,000 a month but we would also be making a ton of money on commission, conveniently failing to mention that you get either/or and not both. Slowly things would come out, usually with my asking questions that she would very reluctantly answer. I didn't return to the second day of training.

I don't doubt that the vacuums are good, I know they are.. but the dishonestly is just incredibly frustrating and absurd. This many people complaining about rude, aggressive sales people, not being able to get their money back even in the 3 day period or contact anyone, employees not getting paid. To the few people defending Kirby on here.. how can you possibly defend a company that has endless upon endless reports of this kind of stuff? There is no excuse, and it's not okay.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2013

Had a demo that I was promised would be 20 min and remove a perspiration stain from a sofa. After wasting an hour and a half of my time, scrubbing so hard he damaged the slip cover the stain is still there. On top of that, my girl friend told me after they left the guy asked for her phone number and in my driveway the next morning was a bunch of their black filters I had to pick up. Come into someone's home under false pretenses, damage their property, and behave outrageously disrespectfully toward your host/potential customer... what a great bunch of people.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2013

I used my older model Kirby for over 12 years, with little or no problems. I was talked into upgrading for a wooing $800, plus turn in my old vacuum. I don't know what I was thinking, but I did it and I'm PISSED! Some crook came to my door 2 years ago and I've been unsatisfied every since. It doesn't pick up like the old one. I have to purchase an Oreck to substitute for the disaster of the new Kirby. I tried to contact the company but got the runaround and the sales person didn't put his distributor's number on the paperwork. DON'T TRUST THE KIRBY ANY MORE AND I'VE BEEN SCAMMED! This is sad, because I encouraged 13 of my friends to purchase Kirbys in the past. I've since then told others not to WASTE THEIR TIME! It's such a shame to have such a quality product go down in it's performance. SHAME, but don't WASTE time or money on this CON-VACUUM - It doesn't work! Buy an ORECK instead!

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Benita, We are disappointed to learn that you are unhappy your Kirby Sentria home care system.

For over ninety-five (95) years, The Kirby Company has prided itself on creating a product known for its quality, reliability, and performance. The Sentria, like all models of Kirby home cleaning systems, was designed and constructed with state-of-the-art technology to become a leader in the home cleaning industry.

There are several reasons why the Kirby may not be picking up. First check to see if the brush roll is rotating. If it is not turning freely, the belt is slipping, broken, or not engaged properly. You can also check to see if the bag is full or the air intake is clogged.

You may also contact Kirby Direct for technical assistance to ensure your Kirby home cleaning system is set up properly at 1-800-437-7170. Kirby Direct is in the office Monday through Friday from 8 am to 7:30 pm and on Saturday from 9 am to 5 pm ET.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2013

Well, my husband was deployed to Afghanistan in a few weeks, and we were letting go of our apartment so I can stay with family temporarily. We needed to get our carpet cleaned for two rooms, and we had found a note on our door when we got back from running an errand saying a cleaning company in the area wanted to clean one room carpet for free to test out their product, no obligations. So we thought it was perfect, but we didn't call because we were busy. Then later, someone knocked on the door and asked if we had gotten their flyer, we said yes, and we agreed they could clean our carpet for free but that we weren't going to buy any of their products. So she says someone in half an hour would come by and it would only take 20 minutes. Well, she took an hour. It was about 2:30 pm, she left a major mess with all the circle stuff with the dirt all over our wood floors.

My husband was packing while I was watching my daughter and listening to this sales girl talk and talk about the vacuum, and she started following my husband wherever he went. Whether it was in the kitchen, or in our daughter’s room. I thought it was very unprofessional. Not to mention she was wearing a short shirt that looks like it was from when she was 16 years old, her ass crack was showing every time she bent down. My husband got very uncomfortable especially since she kept grabbing his shoulder and talking to him about his military life. I have never had a Kirby vacuum in my life, and since we have a baby, she said it wouldn't be healthy for her without one etc. And me as a new parent started to get paranoid because of the mite, and the dust. We ended up making installments of 134 a month, and we are making additional payments, the total cost is $2,800.

Now I look back and totally she scammed us, my husband’s father paid 1500 for the exact same vacuum. I personally think these vacuums are great, but not for the price. There are cheaper vacuums that do and have the exact same thing, that aren't expensive. Plus the sales girl was disrespectful by showing her ass crack and following my husband and grabbing his shoulder around the house, when he and I had told her I would be the one she needed to talk to. If it wasn't for my daughter, we wouldn't have had an interest and we would have told her to get the eff out. I guess we are just young and dumb beginner parents for falling to buy this stupid vacuum. Not to mention I was the one who convinced my husband, because he had no interest at all. I will never again open my door to any Kirby reps or purchase another product from them. Not worth it.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

We are disappointed to learn that you are unhappy with your home care system.

Since The Kirby Company is not involved in the retail sales of its home cleaning systems, we are unable to cancel purchases or rescind contracts between distributors and their customers.

If you would like to contact us we can forward your comments to the independent distributorship and ask that you are contacted. Please call us at 1-800-494-8586, Monday through Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., EST.

We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2013

We traded our Dyson vacuum and steam cleaner for a Kirby vacuum and optional carpet cleaner. First lesson, never buy anything over $100 that you can't return or get required equipment from a local store. Bags have to be ordered online, belts as well. The belts last for approximately 2 uses before burning up. The second lesson, the girl who sold us this burning piece of ** (belts literally fill house with smell of burnt rubber) is a career college student because she came back 5 years later wanting to sell us another one. If anyone wants this piece of **, will gladly trade for a Dyson.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

We are disappointed to learn that you are unhappy with the new Sentria home care system.

state-of-the-art technology to become a leader in the home cleaning industry.

For technical assistance over the phone or to purchase parts and supplies, you may contact Kirby Direct at 1-800-437-7170. Kirby Direct is in the office Monday through Friday 8a.m. to 7:30 p.m. and on Saturday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Eastern Time.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2013

About 4pm today, two 18-20 somethings knocked on my door offering a free 1-2 room carpet cleaning. They only asked that you tell family or friends if you liked the job done. I figured it was an actual cleaning service trying to get its name out - those have come around before in my complex. They assured me it was pet safe and dries within 45 minutes, which would have been ok since I have to leave for class at 6pm. So I say yes and move my 50lb fold out ottoman and the rest of my stuff off the floor so it can be cleaned. 10 minutes later, one of them comes back and a new guy comes in with giant boxes. We confirm they can clean the living room and one of them leaves, leaving me alone in the apartment with one man. (I'm a young lady, living by myself, but I wasn't worried. I have knives and thin walls.)

He starts the Talk. The SALES TALK. And I'm like, "WHOA, HEY. You said you were going to clean my carpet for free press, nothing about buying anything." Then they throw around insults to my current vacuum, which, yes, is a piece of ** but it works ok. He chooses a 3x4 square of my carpet to repeatedly vacuum until 5:18pm, talking nonstop about how dangerous my current vacuum is, how much ** is in my air, and blah blah blah. I knew immediately that this was a bad idea but it got worse. He starts going on about this "Pie in the face" contest he has with another salesman, whoever wins gets to throw a pie in the others face. I don't think that'll happen. He asked me to help him get there. Then he gave me the story about him being 19 and having a baby already. Dude, your bad decisions are not on me. I am not responsible for helping you.

While he's doing the demo, he keeps calling someone about this being "His trip to Tahoe", and the way he worded it sounded so much like "When I sell this girl a vacuum, I'm rich enough to go to Tahoe." And I infer that was his suggestion by the rest of the reviews too, that they claim trips will be coming up. I get very angry when he starts trying to learn about what kind of credit I have, if I'd do a payment plan, how it's "$3500" from the office, and whatever, how he's such a great salesman he's authorized to do deals for me. "You won't even do it for 2$ a day? 35$ A month?" ** no! I am up to my gills in debt as it is!!! While he's vacuuming onto little white circles, I google Kirby reviews and found this page. I told him he had to hurry because I got to go to class. Then he tried to use the damn thing on my BED - MY BED - which I just had delivered to me, brand new, 2 days ago! NO.

I told him "I am NOT buying anything today. It's not happening." He said, "That's fine, I get paid anyways," in such an arrogant, snotty way I wanted to throttle him. I made him pack his things, and he kept calling his manager like "It's just bad timing. She's not confident enough. Set up my next appointment.” And when he was leaving, being the polite gal I am I said, "Better luck next house." To which he replied, "Oh, I sell at all the houses." NOT AT MY HOUSE. I've never hoped someone actually doesn't get paid for their job more. This sheer arrogance of this guy and his "You'll buy because I want you to" attitude just pissed me off. And I just lost 2 precious hours off on one of the only 2 days a week I am going to school instead of working. Ugh.

HHello Gabri,

The Kirby Company takes all complaints seriously and apologizes for the conduct of the distributorship’s representative. Although the relationship between The Kirby Company and its distributorships is that of vendor/vendee, we expect the distributors to conduct themselves and their businesses in professional manners.

We would like to contact the owner of the distributorship to review your comments with him/her. Please contact our Customer Relations Department at 1-800-494-8586, Mon-Fri, 8am-5pm est.

We look forward to assisting you.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2013

I was excited for the young man selling the Kirby vacuum cleaner. He was talking about winning a trip for his upcoming wedding and going to Mexico. I let him pitch his product and do the vacuuming of my dining room and bedroom carpet. After all that was said and done, I felt pressured into purchasing the vacuum cleaner and he had explained that I had five days to think about this purchase. After much consideration and going over my finances, I'd realized that it could not fit into my budget.

I called the company and explained this situation on the fourth day and was told it was too late to change my mind. He explained that it was only three days to state that I had to cancel this order. What a scam. I now have to report him to Consumer Affairs and close my banking account. This is a joke. What type of people are out here trying to steal your hard earned money. Kirby has really done a dis-service to the public as well as myself. I would never recommend Kirby to anyone else.

Hello Mattie,

The Kirby Company manufactures high quality cleaning systems, which it sells to independently owned and operated businesses or “distributorships.” These distributorships, through a network of salespeople or “dealers,” then sell the cleaning systems to consumer end-users via in-home demonstrations. As such, the relationship between The Kirby Company and the distributorships is that of vendor/vendee.

As stated on your contract, you had three business days to cancel the purchase of your Kirby system. Your cancellation request must have been in writing and postmarked no later than the third business day after the sale. This three-day cancellation policy is a federal law known as the "Cooling-Off Rule.”

If you would like to contact us we can forward your comments to the independent distributorship and ask that you are contacted to discuss you cancellation request please call us at 1-800-494-8586, Monday through Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., EST.

We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2013

We had a gal come to the door trying to sell a vacuum and while we told her we weren't interested nor could afford it, she wanted to come in and clean a room for us. We went with it. After one late appointment they came in and the woman proceed to vacuum a portion of one room about 2 square feet. She never got off her butt the whole time just kept making these circular screens with dirt on them to show how good the vacuum was.

All along we kept saying we couldn't afford it and that the one we bought 5 years earlier we were never happy with. When the manager would pop his head in the house he tried the hard sell and finally left. You could tell he was doing his best polite routine, but we must have told them over 10x we weren't going to buy another as we were not happy with the one we had. And on that note it never worked right the moment after we got it.

Lifetime warranty? No they told us that because we took our $2,500 vacuum somewhere else to get fixed warranty was no good. Their nearest store at the time 100 miles away. Anyways they suck, not worth the money. Hire a carpet cleaner better than a 2,500 dollar vacuum. IMHO, that whole thing about cleaning a room really chapped my hide. They make promises thinking that even after being told we didn't like the product they could get in and make the sale. Dyson makes a good vacuum for a fraction of the cost.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2013

Easy way to avoid them is to answer door, take the gift they are giving, look at them and tell them you already have a Kirby vacuum. I was actually conned into getting one same thing. You all have went through the white circles, how disgusting it was, blah blah blah. About 3 years later, a new one shows up and do what I mentioned first but surprised him. I actually didn't know how to put the carpet cleaner piece on so I said, "Hey, can you show me how to do this?" He showed me, was really nice and left. Guess he figured he couldn't sell me a newer model that was probably identical to the one I had just a few more years newer. So if anything, just tell them you already own one. If they like to lie, so can you.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2013

Purchased a Kirby vacuum on 10/16/2013 on the guidelines that it would be better for my home than my Dyson was and that their bags were reusable (which, by the way, I just found out that they're not). So not only was this item falsely advertised to me when I purchased it, but the company of distributors that I purchased it from are as rude and ruthless as could be. Great 8 Enterprise LLC is who employs the seller who we purchased it from whose name was Issac.

They're all liars and will say anything to get you to buy the item whether it's true or not. I am prepared to stop payment on it, as well as contact the local news stations to make a fuss, the Better Business Bureau. I will do whatever I have to do to get this fixed. Save your time, money, and the hassle of getting ripped off. DON'T BUY A KIRBY!!!!

Ms. Haynes,

As a matter of information, the Company manufactures high quality cleaning system, which it sells to independently owned and operated businesses or “distributorships,” such as Great 8 Enterprises. These distributorships, through a network of salespeople or “dealers,” then sell the cleaning systems to consumer end-users via in-home demonstrations. As such, the Company’s relationship with the distributorships is that of vendor/vendee.

However we show you have contacted our Customer Relations Department and a complaint was opened on your behalf. We will continue to mediate this matter as you work with the Independent Distributor towards a resolution.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2013

I think that the actual vacuum is wonderful. If I could afford it I would buy one in a heartbeat. My opinions all changed today. I still love the vacuum, but the disrespect I received from the "manager" I will never purchase a Kirby vacuum; I don't care how wonderful it is. Today, a young lady came to my door and gave me a free can of Lysol wipes. I knew it was the Kirby sales and I thought I don't have much to do why not let her talk. This young lady was great, very kind, very talkative and showed me a great product. During the shampoo portion, the manager came into my house. He asked me multiple questions for example: "What is stopping me from buying the vacuum?" I told him we cannot afford a new vacuum, as we recently incurred a large debt. I told him that I have to discuss this potential purchase with my husband, as the vacuum is over $1,000. I told him I discuss all purchases over $100 with my husband before I make a purchase.

The manager looked at me like I was insane! He said, "So when you go on a road trip and are spending over $100 on gas, you have to talk to your husband?" I said, "Yes, but we would have discussed my road trip and the potential expenses before I leave." I told him my husband makes the income and I stay home and I can't spend a bunch of our income without his approval. He told me, "A pretty girl like you should be able to buy what you want". I said, "Our family doesn't work that way." He says, "But this is an investment in your house and the care of your carpet".

Correct, but I wouldn't go out and buy brand new carpet without my husband's approval and he wouldn't do the same without me! He also told me I could afford the $45 a month payment, I said no I can't because I do not have an income and I would like to be able to pay for my heat this winter instead. To get this guy out of the house I told him to give me the salesgirl's number and I will call her if my husband is interested. He tries the friends and family discount and writes it out on a scrap, ripped up piece of notebook paper. As they were packing up the Kirby, he told the young lady, "We will let her keep her Dyson, I can understand the sentimental value the Dyson has (it was a wedding gift)". I look at him and think, you better not touch my vacuum and get out of my house. I really do not want them to come to my house anymore, because this is not the first time.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2013

I purchased a Kirby on 9/20/13. Almost immediately they were at my door wanting to take it back stating that they could not take my checking account. I informed them that if they took Visa they had to take it. I also informed them that I bill draft from the account all the time. I also asked why they did not inform me that I had to do the checking account draft in order to purchase it. All he could say was sorry and get a real account. I informed him he could take the vacuum and return the contract as well as my old vacuum. That was like pulling teeth. Took them a couple of weeks and two visits in one day to take the vacuum and return my old one. Wish I had seen this website first.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2013

I worked for Kirby for two and a half weeks. When I responded to the newspaper advertisement, the receptionist told me that it was an international customer service job. She said that I would not need any training and that I would be making a guaranteed $2000 a week starting out. That I needed no experience, they would train me and I would be able to advance in my career with them within a year. I went in for the interview, then the story changed. The recruiter told me that they make parts for the vacuum, and that their business is expanding to hire new employees because of the new parts, and that I would not be interacting with any. He said that my orientation would be four days and two of those would be paid for. It turned out that orientation was two weeks long. Then after the orientation, he told me that we would be paid for one week of orientation.

The third week, he told us that one of those weeks we worked was a week in the hole. So we were not paid for either week. He told me that I would be trained for LPS. It stands for nothing other than some ** they make up. He said I would be knocking doors, setting up appointments, and giving away free gifts to the homeowner. What he didn't tell me was that we were to bomb rush the people and force our way into their home if they accepted the free gift which was a dollar product from Dollar Tree. We had to rehearse a script, which was full of lies, telling them that I was with a new company who just opened down the street from them, and that we were in town from a different city here for the weekend. We were to tell them any lie we could to get them to accept the free gift, then run back to the van, and grab a Kirby. Tell them the name of the model, and then force our way into their home and set up in front of their TV and tell them that a "technician" would come and put on the demo. The so-called technician was actually another sales person just like me.

Before I took the job as a LPS, he told me that I could be a dealer, someone who puts on the demos and that the appointments would be set up for us. He did not tell us that I would be doing both and that the people did not actually know that we were coming to their homes. Kirby is full of lies. They lie to the homeowners and to the employees. They often look for young people with the promise of making $5000 plus a month. But what they don't tell you is they only make that much money if you are the owner who has lots of crews going out for them selling the vacuum for $3000. The actual price of the vacuum is $500. The retail price is $1359. They mark it up so much that they make lots of of money off one sale and the dealers only make $200. They promise you lots of vacations and free gifts for selling but they never deliver on their promises.

If you are young, don't get fooled and discouraged by their lies and empty promises. I didn't like having to lie to people and bomb rush my way into their home and try and scam them out of their money. I'm just not that kind of person. Today was my last day working for them and I will never return to that place at all. If it sounds too good to be true, it is.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2013

While I was at work one night, my husband with the best intentions traded in my Dyson and carpet shampooer for $260.00 off the price of a Kirby. WRONG ANSWER! He immediately began calling them that same evening to get our equipment back and return the Kirby. The sales reps did not leave a direct contact number, only the number to the "financing" company. After about 15 phone calls, they finally agreed to come back, but said they were in meetings. They specifically asked my husband who disagreed with the purchase and what time I went to work. Knowing that I left for work at 1400, they arrived at 1342. My husband said the original seller was behind this BIG GUY and neither one of them had my old equipment. He said he came to demonstrate the power of the Kirby.

I told him I didn't care if the Kirby could suck $100.00 from the crack of a politician's **, I wanted my Dyson back. He then began to insult my husband by saying, "Oh I can see who the boss is in this family". I now informed him that he had twelve minutes before I had to leave for work, and I wanted my vacuum back, NOW! "It's in a van coming here now, we couldn't fit it in with us. But I am prepared to make you a sweet deal on this vacuum". Finally, I told him I had 5 minutes before I needed to walk out the door and I wasn't even dressed for work, so unless he wanted to see me parading around naked in 30 seconds, he needed to step out and leave my stuff on the porch (mother of 4, not a pretty sight). He stood there and stared me down another 20 seconds before I started to pull off my top and walk away, he finally scuttled out the door leaving my stuff on the porch. Moral of the story... A mom knows how to deal with brats! All this for a vacuum sale?

Original review: Oct. 2, 2013

I was "greeted" at my kitchen window by a big helloooooo as I was beginning to fix supper. Had I not been standing at the sink where she could see me, I honestly would not have even gone to the door. My free gift was a can of Glade Lavender Air Freshener! This was at approximately 5:15 pm. I knew EXACTLY what they were. I advised them immediately that I was trying to get supper fixed. My husband was on his way home (a 1 1/2 hour drive), his stepfather had passed away and we had other obligations. The supervisor assured me it would only take a FEW minutes. That way they could get credit for the demo. I stupidly let them in. She got in a van and left. After about an hour, I reminded the salesman of our situation, to please give us the condensed version. I actually did this quite a few times. He just kept rolling!! Fast talker!

We were of course shown the white pads to show the nasty we were living in. He spilled about a 1/2 container of water on the floor and asked for a towel to wipe it up. I asked him why he didn't suck it up with the Kirby and he kept right on talking. Again, fast talker! He then proceeded to our bedroom, pulls the covers off of our bed and puts on a dust mask. We are then honored with the black pads covered in "dead skin, dust mites, droppings and bacteria." "This is why I use a dust mask! This makes you sick! This causes COPD!!" Really???? How have we lived all these years without this magnificent machine called Kirby????

Now we get the "what would it take to leave this machine in your home?" And again, for probably the 15th time, I attempt explaining our situation and that we really do have things to do. For that he says he will give a $400 "time discount." Very fast talker!! Attempting again and I hear how he only needs 1 more sale for a trip to Florida. Another attempt and in comes the manager. When I start explaining to her what our situation is, she apologizes and he starts telling her it is all his fault that it took so long!!! Yep, very fast talker!!! ENOUGH!!!!! It is now 8 pm and we are so done.

I understand this is their job. They were both nice and never got rude or pushy. But with what we had going on, this 2 1/2 hours of crap was the last thing we needed to be dealing with!!! So much for a few minutes of listening for them to get credit. No nice no more!!!! Never happen again! Oh but wait, I DID get a can of Lavender Glade out of the deal!!!! DO NOT let these people in unless you have a lot of time to spare!!!!!

Original review: Sept. 25, 2013

Got what I expected; my Mom had dealt with them in the 70s, and had a really bad experience. Called me multiple times to come over. Said they would clean one of the rugs in my home. Arranged for them to come over around 1:00 so I could take my daughter outside while they worked. Got the expected heavy duty sales pitch, but the guy (and his wife) could see I was not a sale, and he laid off pretty quick. Asked if he was going to clean my rug as promised, he said "I ain't no maid". I exited for the backyard with my daughter. They skedaddled. Checked to make sure they didn't steal anything; they didn't. All I can say is if they come over: 1. No, they will not clean the rug as stated. 2. Be sure to have something else planned you can run off to avoid them.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2013

And have been around for 99 years, blah blah blah. I leave the interview feeling like I am being sucked into a scam because the questions asked in the interview were so non-specific that I was confused about what they were actually looking for.

I came home and started researching. Well, after about 5 minutes of reading these reviews/complaints by both consumers and former employees, I called the young lady back and asked specifically what I would really be doing. She said initially everyone starts out at entry level doing demonstrations. I said I would have to think about it overnight and call back in the morning. I read some more and decided that I would not take my chances because I am a single parent and can not afford to use my time, gas, etc. for no guaranteed income.

I called the young lady this morning and told her I was not interested in taking any chances in getting involved with this company because my research has shown that they use the same dishonest approach with their employees as they do their customers and I would like to keep my good name and integrity. She seemed to be annoyed that I caught on to her so quickly. Thanks for the internet!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2013

I should have never let my wife answer the door. God knows I love her, but that was a waste of 3 hours of my life. Where the heck did the nice lady go to? Next thing I know we are removing items out of my 5-year-old's room, and going for the big demo. How many white filters does it take. I was starting to wonder if what was on the pads was the carpet itself. I'm sure if I continued to push the Bissell over and over the same spot, it could pull a lot of dirt too. As soon as my wife left to get the girls from school, I asked how much this thing was, $3,250.00. I would start thinking about a different manufacturer if that's how much it needs to be sold for.

One salesman turns into two, and I'm just ready for them to get out. Oh, last salesman says he will give me a one-time offer. $1,250.00. I can't tell anyone, but for me, he would sacrifice the $2,000.00 discount. At this point I'm sure they're taking a big hit on the price. I mean for sure they are losing money. I told my wife anything looks good when it's 50% and higher off the original price. But knowing the original price has been marked up, probably somewhere between 800 and 1000%, just makes me sick to know people are actually buying the thing. To top it off, after they left, I called my friend to tell him the experience, and guess who was there. He doesn't even have a carpet, and still was going to demo. Funny, funny.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2013

Yesterday night, two women showed up to my door, handing me free shampoo and cleaner, asking if they can demonstrate a product they were selling and that it was the last sale they needed so they can go home. So I told them yes, but I was going to go the movies so it would have to be quick. They said it wouldn't take longer than 30 mins and that they would be back shortly with the product. When the door bell rang, I expected the girls but to my surprise, two odd-looking men were there with the product saying that they will do the demonstration.

At the time, I didn't think too much about it, thinking the girls probably got to leave. They introduced themselves and one said that he will be doing the demonstration and that his partner was new and was going to be taking notes over his sales approach. Again, I didn't think too much of it, so I let him continue with the demonstration. After maybe 20 little circular filters thrown on my floor with the dirt it had picked up, I told him that he should really get packed up so I could leave. After that he told me he only needed to show me two things and that it wouldn't take more than 3 mins, I let him continue. He told me to show him to my room so he could clean the bed. He pulls back the sheets and starts to clean.

The salesmen just kept talking how it will pay for itself and that it's good for my health. I told him that the movie was about to start and if I were to leave at that moment I would make it on time. He then got on his phone to his supervisor, who at the time was outside in the van. He told me how I am going to pay for it, and I told him wasn't because $3000 was too much for vacuum. He then lowered it to $28000 with payments of $85 a month. Again told him that the price was still too high so he lowered it again to $2400 with payments of $75 a month. So then the conversation went something like this:

Salesman: Why are you not interested? Me: I only get two checks a month and that is just enough for bills (even though I did have more money, but he doesn't know that). Salesman: So what will happen when they raise the rent in your home will you have to move out? (with an annoying tone). Me: That won't happen since the house is paid for. Salesman: Nice comeback (does a little laugh), but what about if your car insurance raises, are you not going to drive or how would you pay for that? Me: I would pay for it with the money I save not buying this vacuum (Really annoyed since I missed my movie and he was aware about it too) Salesman: Well let's get my supervisor in here to see what kind of deal he can offer you to purchase this vacuum from me. Me: That's fine but can you start packing up.

The rep starts taking it apart. The guy who has been taking notes the entire time started to help the rep pack the vacuum, and the rep tells the guy to leave it that he isn't packing it up yet, he is only cleaning it. Once the supervisor comes in, I was worried because he was big with a large tattoo on his forearm (not that I have anything against tattoos but this tattoo did not seem professional and looked more like the ones you get in prison). So the supervisor tells me what amount would I be comfortable with. I told him that I wouldn't spend more than $500. He then replies saying that for that amount he would give me three.

At this point, I wouldn't have taken it if it was free because the more I thought about the situation the more I knew this was garbage. I tell the supervisor "Well I don't need three, but since you're lowering it, might as well just leave me one for $50." The supervisor said he can't make that happen. At this point, I tell him that I won't take it then. I turn to the rep and tell him if it's a lot of work to pack it up. He replies with a slightly angry face saying "It actually isn't." So I told him, "Then you should really hurry it up". After 2 and a half hours of this, I missed the showtime I wanted to make it to. I did end up going to the movies that night, but I could not get the idea that they came into my house to "sell" me a vacuum, and took "notes". I am honestly worried they will break in and steal my belongings. I'm honestly fearing for my life right now.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2013

Selling Kirby Vacuum cleaners was the only job my 19-year-old could find and I could not believe the amount of hours they wanted him to work, the utter lying on the part of other salesmen about how much they made, and the complete dishonesty about how much money he could make. Kirby takes advantage of young people to super hard sell an incredibly overpriced piece of machinery nobody needs. Having done that, they make it virtually impossible to make any money.

Having watched my son go through what he went through and how hard he tried in his first foray out in the work world was disgusting, and they had him so sold on getting rich it took a former Kirby salesman whose door he just happened to knock on to talk him out of it and see it for the utter scam it is. I felt so bad for him, and how he sees the work world now, and I don't blame him. Be aware that the positive stuff you read, about selling OR owning a Kirby is placed there by the company itself. Go to a lot of websites and you see the same ones over and over. No one would praise a product or its selling again and again.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2013

The Kirby salesman knocked on our door asking to use the phone to call his ride. Then not even using the phone, he starts with his pitch about cleaning our rugs for free. He started on the living room soaking carpet with cleaner, vacuumed a li'l, then asked to go upstairs to bedroom to do mattress. He then takes everything off our bed and stands on the bed with his shoes on vacuuming. And more talking, he stayed for 4 and a half hrs. We told him we weren't interested. He wouldn't go. Finally I gave in and bought the damn thing. He lied on our app about how long we lived there. After all is done, he sits down and asks what we are having dinner basically trying to invite himself. Finally he starts to leave, and then he starts asking for cigarettes. Very unprofessional. Also the warranty store's voice mail is full and it's always closed. It's a $3000 door stop.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2013

A nice guy, appears to be in his mid-twenties, walked up to me while I was washing my car in the driveway and claim he was throwing a sales pitch for college credits. He was going to dry clean carpet in any room of my choosing for free to demonstrate an economical, long lasting machine. I accepted his offer and he return 15 minutes later with his boss and the equipment. I expect the demonstration to last at most is an hour so that he can pursue other potentials. Instead he just kept elaborating how much dry dirt the Kirby can suck up.

After two hours of placing circular filter patches collected by the Kirby, he finally start to shampoo the carpet. Upon his near completion his boss shows up and began pushing the pricing that goes beyond the discount offered by his sales rep during his demonstration. Price came down from $2300 to $1360. I was never interested in the Kirby so I declined. The boss left and the young sales rep continue to complete his work. The sales rep again offers discount stating the $1360 is MSRP and he is willing to sacrifice his commission to make a sale. Just prior to disassemble the Kirby, his boss shows up again and elaborate the effectiveness of the Kirby and offered additional discount to assist financial and college credit benefit to his young sales rep who is a single father. His final price is now $960.

The demonstration and the sales pitch always make Kirby in comparison with other vacuum cleaners and not with a carpet cleaning machine so I never had interest in a Kirby. The boss left and the sales rep continue to wrap his work. This whole demonstration/sales pitch lasted 3 and an half hours and told the sales rep that I need to leave. The poor sales rep gave me one final plea stating that he will be chewed out if he does not make the sale and that I took advantage of his free demonstration and he will not receive any college credit nor any financial gain. I felt sorry for him so I gave him $10 and a bottle of beer. To avoid one last encounter with his boss I left him at the curbside and went grocery shopping.

The demonstration was impressive in that the Kirby do appear to pull up and capture embedded dirt in the carpet. Although how much more dirt the Kirby can suck in comparison with my existing Karcher vacuum cleaner is questionable. However, to clean the carpet, a wet solution was applied which contradict the Kirby "dry" cleaning method. The emphasis on capturing dirt with placement of 3 dozen filter patches is redundant and the trade in offer for my existing vacuum was absurd. There were too many inconsistencies with the sales rep background stories with the background stories share by his boss in that their sales pitch need more congruency. The following day the stains on the carpet is still visible.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2013

A very nice lady knocked on my door and asked if we were up for a free cleaning in trade for an introduction to the Kirby cleaning system. We had a carpeted sunroom which needed cleaning and had some to spare so we welcomed them in. I listened to the whole selling speech and was somewhat impressed with the "vacuum". But I'm giving it a star review because I feel buyers should be aware.

#1) No vacuum in the world is worth 3,000.00. #2) Being a proud owner of a Dyson, 90% of the things they claimed no other vacuum does is false. #3) These guys are in search for incompulsive buyers. Using the tactics of "you won't be able to buy a Kirby once I walk out the door" doesn't cut these days in age. Are you kidding me! What company sells products like this anyone. #4) Flexible payments plans at 25% interest rate! Really, wow! Now you can't blame them if they find someone dumb enough to take that offer. #5) Fools had no clue my wife and I tagged team and played the old game of "bad cop, good cop". I showed I was totally willing to buy the vacuum and my wife did not. The salesman out of desperation to make the sale first offered us a same as cash deal. 1 year to pay no interest charged, or also known as a year interest free. Then offered 1,000 off; then at $1,500 or 50%; then a whopping $1002.00 for the unit from 3,000. Really if we wanna we could have lowered even more, but we just got tire of playing the game and told them "no."

Be a cautious buyer! The sale tactics used to sell a product say a lot about it. I smelled this one a mile away. P.S. Attached is a photo with the last offer made. Very professional of the salesperson to write it in back of a blank receipt and kindly asked me not to share it with anyone. Oops, sorry for not listening.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2013

I was interrupted one day. A Kirby salesman came to my door uninvited. They were scooping the area to find people to steal and lie to. This is what salespeople do best. They lie and steal. While he was a nice guy and expected me to hear him talk, he failed to hear mine. I have severe injuries. Had I used the vacuum and not him, I would have known that it was not for me. The vac is a pain in the rear. You have so many parts to connect and disconnect. The vac is very heavy, not ideal for people with injuries. Using it, I was bruised and in severe pain.

They only give you 3 days to decide which is completely unfair practices in sales. So I am stuck with a vacuum that costs me when it is said and done with over $3500 because they took in exchange some expensive items I have to reduce the cost, then added it back on in interest. The vac in summary is worth only around $300. It is not the best like they claim. They use mental abuse and other psychological tactics to lure people into their scams. I am one very disappointed customer and hope one day the law will step in and put a stop to these scammers.

Resolution response: Sept. 4, 2013

A follow up to my motor burned up:

I was able to take my Kirby Vacuum to a local sweeper shop in Cincinnati (North Bend Road) first thing on Tuesday morning. I told them what happened and they determined the problem right away and they replaced the FAN. The fan blades were slightly melted and bent due to the extreme heat from filling my girls' inflatable toy. The service was great, the two gentleman at the shop made a point to show me what was wrong and advised me not use my Kirby to blow up mattresses and small pools.

I was very happy with their service and will return for updated service and parts for my Kirby. I'll stick to an air pump and/or our shop vac with the Kirby attachments to fill anymore toys/pools/mattresses.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2013

I have had my Kirby Sentria sweeper nearly one year (09-07-13), without any additional problems. Although I am on my third belt as it simply tears apart. The Kirby has been a great tool to blow up an air mattress, and my kid's swimming pool. While blowing up one of their fillable toys, the motor burned up. It got very hot and started smoking. The connected area was terribly hot to the touch. I had been blowing up this toy on and off for 15 minutes, stopping and starting to blow up different sections. I heard a whining noise and the motor died. I let it cool down for about 30 minutes and tried to run the normal sweeper. The motor did the same whining sound and died (We completed blowing up the toy with the shop vacuum without any issues).

Of course it is the holiday weekend, so I will be taking this in to the Kirby shop Tuesday morning. I am concerned about the motor due to the three torn belts and now dead motor - this leads me to believe this sweeper may have had issues from the start. I hope to follow up with better news in a few days.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2013

Kirby is the best vacuum you will ever own. I will explain common complaints and solutions so you can understand them.

"Hard to push" - This, I don't understand. Put it in gear first!
    "Too many attachments" - You don't need to use them all, and they're nice to have on hand.
    "Too hard to change things" - Easy when you know how.
    "I want my old vacuum back" - Tough. The trade in is a sham. They just throw them away.
    "Kirby sucks" - In a good way right?
    "The people are horrible" - The Kirby company has no relation with the distributor other than licensing.
    "They barged in" - Just say no and shut the door.
    "They promised a free shampooing" - Assert this point and don't let them leave until they do it.

"(S)he asked for food and water" - Tell them tough, you should eat beforehand.

Hope these common complaints help.

Now for the vacuum, they are the BEST vacuum cleaner and shampooer on the market. There are two kinds of vacuums, Kirbys and every other kind. Don't compare them to a normal vac, they are NOT normal. They are built to last. If you take care of them they will last forever. I have several Kirbys, the oldest from 1977 and the newest from 2003, and they all work like the day they were made.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Noah, Thank you for the positive words, we agree Kirby is a superior vacuum cleaner.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners Company Information