2. Homeowners
Kirby Vacuum Cleaners

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners Reviews

4.0/5 (286 ratings)

About Kirby Vacuum Cleaners Reviews

For nearly one-hundred years, The Kirby Company has manufactured superior, American-made home cleaning systems. Kirby does not sell directly to the public but continues a long tradition of distributing its home cleaning systems through independent distributors, who are responsible for running their own businesses. Over the years, this distribution system has afforded thousands of men and women the opportunity to live the American dream of owning and operating their own businesses.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kirby Vacuum Cleaners?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kirby?

Original review: Jan. 29, 2014

I am 18 years old, starting school in the fall and looking for a job to save up money. I've been looking for about 3 months now. I saw an ad on a website saying "HIRING IMMEDIATELY" and it said a bunch of things how I can make 500 dollars a week, plus commission. I called the number, got an interview for 2 hours later (They didn't even ask my age or last name). I rushed to get ready and took a bus, since I don't have a car right now. I got there, filled out an application, and got the interview. The woman said I would be perfect for the job and I could make 500 dollars without making a sale! IMAGINE THAT!

But anyways, throughout the whole interview the woman never told me the company name. She then told me to come back today for orientation which was suppose to last 90 minutes with free lunch, it was actually 3 hours and they didn't let us leave the room. It was about 30 people there who all "got the job". What company can just hire 30 people a day? And they explained to us that we were going to sell vacuums door to door. Let me add that these vacuums are 3000 dollars. And we would make 500 dollars as long as we showed 15 people the vacuums.

They asked me for a list of people I knew (names and numbers) they are just looking for number to harass people. On my way back home, on the bus, I kept thinking about how this didn't sit right with me. It's not, this job is a scam, it will waste your time, and others time, please do yourself a favor. DO NOT apply to this job unless you have NOTHING GOING ON and can afford to waste your days selling 3000 dollar vacuums.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2014

They promised me interest free for 24 months and now they are saying they can't honor it because the salesman didn't put it on the contract. This company is awful and very rude. Please don't buy from them. It's not worth the headache and lies!

Original review: Jan. 27, 2014

My father recently passed away and owned a Kirby vacuum I knew nothing about if it was paid for or not. They took over a month to make contact. I'm guessing the day his payment was late, they didn't contact me. They instead contacted my aunt who has nothing to do with this, told her to pay for it or get sued. When I, well my stepmom, called to see what the options where, it was the same pay for it or get sued. The only other option is to take it back to them which is a 30 min drive. No working with us where they would come get it. Pay for it, bring it back to us, or get sued. Kirby vacuums are apparently worth more than a human life and they don't care about anything other than the money.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2014

It was a Wednesday, a cold snowy day and my daughter was home sick. I hear a knock at the front door. I answer and see a young man holding an air freshener. I was confused at what was going on and the guy said that he had a quick demonstration he would like to do and it would only take a few minutes. At first I thought it was something to do with air fresheners since he handed me one. Then he went to a van that was being driven by a woman and got this bundle. When he got inside he started telling me about Kirby. I was fortunate that my husband was working from home that day. He came down to check and see what was going on and then went back to work.

This guy kept going on and on. He stayed in the living room the entire time, but I also blocked the door so he would not venture to any other rooms. Our bedrooms are all on the second floor. He gave me the personal story about kids and how he was let go from another job. He also told me about how he could win a free trip. He told me the line about how much the vacuum was and I shook my head. I told him that we were not in any financial shape to buy this. He should have noticed that our neighborhood is not a well to do section of the city. Most of the people in our area work and not many have this kind of money for a vacuum. He lowered the price and I still said no. He lowered it again and made a comment that how can we pass up such a good deal - $10 a week is great and who can't afford that?! I was upset.

One who is this person telling me who can afford that. I shook my head and told him that I couldn't. I wished him well. He used our phone to call his manager who came and picked him up. He didn't wait long. I am not sure why we didn't get any calls, perhaps it is because we have an unlisted number. The entire time he is saying how much stuff the vacuum was getting up and showing me the white circles. I wasn't so surprised since our carpets are over 17 years old and we have cats and well children. Never mind I had to go over the spot where he put baking soda on the carpet. Sure his vacuum got a lot of it up, but I had to finish the job later. I was not happy with all of the attachments. Seems like a lot of work taking apart and putting together. All the parts that go along with. What are the odds of losing one or not using them?

This entire thing took over 2 hours. This guy even tried to hook my husband in on this. Not happy with this at all. Never ever tell someone that it will take a few minutes when you know it will take hours. At the end of the entire deal I felt mad and cheated. Cheated out of two plus hours of my time and tending to my sick child. Mad because I should not have let him in the first place. He tried the personal story, he tried the trip deal, he tried the guilt trip, he tried lowering the price. It is the same story every time. Beware. They blindside you to get in your door. I think they take up so much time so that we as the consumer will give up, get frustrated and just buy the thing in order to get them out of our homes.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2014

My mom is out gardening in the back while I'm (female, 18yrs old) in the house & suddenly hear a knock on the door. I open it to see a tall, maybe late 20's, man with a bottle of laundry detergent. I saw his eyes glance at me up & down... super awkward. Then he (let's name him "Bob") says with a smile, "Hi, we were in the neighborhood today & we are handing out free laundry detergents. Would you like it?" I replied, "Sure." Then Bob said, "Did you have a few moments for us so that we could show a few of our products today? It won't take too long. I thought maybe he'd be showing us some new laundry detergent products & since we already got a free bottle, I said, "Sure." Then he said he needed to tell his boss & get the items so he walked back into the van parked by our mailbox.

Bob & the boss came in with a huge box, maybe 3ft tall. Right then & there, I realized I had made the mistake of letting these people in as I realized they were from Kirby. -.-' His boss got back into the van. Bob makes some small talk with me so that it's not so awkward & then asks where my parents are & right then, my mom comes back into the house from gardening. I tell her that these people are here to show us their products & she shakes her head, "Well we're not gonna buy anything... & we need to leave the house to do some errands right now." I started feeling bad for Bob & as he realized we had to leave home, he ran back outside to tell his boss. At that moment, the boss was backing out of our driveway & started driving down the road already. Bob quietly curses & asks to use our phone. He calls the boss & says, "Hey, the mom is leaving right now. (Silence) Yeah, she's leaving right now" & hangs up.

I guess they knew they couldn't make any $ out of me since I was just a teenager. Lol. Anyways, Bob seemed like a decent person so I did apologize again & he assured me that it was all right & that he'd already earned some commission just letting him into our house. His boss turned the car around & Bob was taking the Kirby vacuum back into the car. Right before leaving though, he asked for the free bottle of laundry detergent back. I said sure & handed it back. Good thing my mom came to the rescue or else we would've had to listen & watch them clean our house for hours. I do give them a 2 star rating only because back when I was a child, around 6-7yrs old, I remember them coming into the house where they vacuumed our entire carpet, leaving the white patches of dirt on it. My mom told them over and over again that we couldn't afford the Kirby vacuum, & the manager left pretty mad. They just couldn't take No for an answer & although I do understand that this is their job, they don't need to be so extremely pressuring about it.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2014

It's amazing that Kirby has been running this racket for two decades and the stories are identical to my experiences. First off, as a kid in about 6th grade I remember these people coming over my house. I chuckled at the little circle things and remember leaving to go play with a friend. About 3 hours later my sister came to get me and said we were heading out. I was caught off guard but it turned out it was my mom's way of getting these crackpots out of our home.

Fast forward years later to when I'm 19 years old (I'm now 37). At 19 I responded to an ad that guaranteed $400 per week for setting up and displaying a product. The headline was something to the effect of "marketing career". I call up and they ask me if I could set up and display products. Sounded easy enough. And for $400 per week, at 19, it sounded great. I go for the interview and was in for a few minutes. It was a sad scene with grown men and woman clearly in need of employment. I was told I'd be called back later with a final decision. I was thrilled when I was called and they told me I was hired. I remember excitingly telling my mother that I would be making $400 per week just setting up and displaying products. She asked me what kind of products. I paused and realized that after a brief interview and a 40-minute video about Warren Buffet, I had absolutely no freaking idea what I would be setting up and displaying in this new marketing endeavor. Who cares? 400 dollars per week at 19 years old is huge!!!

I get to the first day of training after hitting up Sears for some new pants and neckties. Although young, I was intelligent, and after 3 minutes of training I would be doing more than "setting up and displaying" this vacuum. I instantly had flashbacks to when they visited my home. Now it was my turn to scam them. I figured I'd stick it out for two weeks and get the $400 per week I was guaranteed for a total of $800. I went on a few sales trips with different sales people and the experiences shared here are identical to what was occurring those days in 1998.

Although the sales people were mostly in their early 20s, a few years older than me, they were dumber than a 10-year-old and all believed they would be running their own shop someday and become millionaires selling Kirbys. While they were busy fawning the owner whose office was filled with sports memorabilia with obviously phony signatures, I was busy maintaining a 4.0 GPA while going to college at night at a major university duping these people for $800.

One day they told me I was ready to go out on my own. I'd have to "practice" on a friend or family member and hen have the friend or family member call them just to "verify" that I did it. I go to my friend's house and convey this whole story. We are just cracking up at the losers who think they can make a living. It's about 8 at night and I tell him he now has to call and pretend I did a presentation (at this point we are a little buzzed). I was mortified when I found out that what was supposed to be a practice session was really a sales pitch. I still laugh to this day when I remember my friend muting the phone and yelling, "this ** is trying to sell me a $3,000 vacuum cleaner!!!" However, the funniest part - he was a wealthy kid and bought the damn vacuum cleaner in his credit card!!! He's a successful attorney now.

I now have two days left to play along before I quit on Friday and collect my $800. I did go to a few houses and perform the free carpet cleaning and actually did the pitch In a weak way. I was supposed to use their phone to call my boss so they could merely "verify that I was there". I told the person they were actually talking to a salesman who would try to sell this piece of junk. I told them to tell the person they weren't interested and to just hang up.

I quit at the end of the day and collected my $800. I walked by a meeting room and told all the misfits they were nuts if they thought they would make a living doing this. The owner got mad and threatened to remove me if I didn't leave ASAP. I begged him to touch me and walked out on my own. Because of my current successes, I can look back and laugh. However, these ads are still out and I feel bad for the people who (1) respond thinking they can make a real living and waste a few days until they realize it's a joke, (2) those who stick it out longer, and (3) the people at home who let these people in under the guise of a free carpet cleaning and waste 3 hours with these vultures.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2014

I purchased a Kirby vacuum for the second time. I believe the motor went out on the first one and I either forgot the rebuild promise or it was not in existence then... I believe that was over 30 years ago. My biggest complaint is that the vacuum is very very heavy. So, if you think you might take your sweeper outside to sweep the car, think again... It is really heavy to lug around. And cleaning the mattress... very difficult because it is so heavy. It was all I could do to drag it back and forth on the mattress... Forget easily guiding it across. I don't know if it cleaned it well or not.. Who would know? I doubt I would do it very often. I wish I had refused to give them my other sweeper because now I don't have something to easily clean my car with and I am not about to buy another sweeper to just do the car.

It was interesting about the price too. They started out at over $2400 and I finally took the offer at $1000. Now how can that be and they still make money? The answer is, they still did make money. There is evidently a huge markup on the thing. I almost returned it after the 3-day period but decided to keep it. Am I glad I did? I don't know for sure. It does seem to clean the floors pretty well even when I forget to engage the belt...oops.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2014

I bought a Kirby 6 months ago (or close to). I have a Dyson (which I love!) and thought that it may be worth it to purchase "the best". It wasn't. I hate the vacuum and wish I had never wasted so much money. I even waited to express my opinion until after moving just in case our carpet or tile were just a pain. It seems that no matter the flooring the Kirby doesn't want to suck anything on the surface. I can now clearly see why Kirby representatives use our good vacuum first. It may pick up the deep down dirt, but I have no time or patience as a mom/wife/teacher to sweat putting the vacuum together after already cleaning the floor with another vacuum. I will continue to express my opinion in the hopes that no one will ever make the same mistake I did. Save your money and your sanity!

Original review: Jan. 14, 2014

I must have been hypnotized. To think that a vacuum can cost $2800 is insane. I was shown demo after demo how the Kirby vac can remove deep down dirt from carpet. What I didn't realize is that the dirt was never completely removed after several tries. I was given a receipt for $1800.00 on 36 month payment plan. I did not take the time to check to total ($78.00.36 = $2808). The finance charge should be included in the original quote. Is it the finance company or Kirby? I will be reporting to the Attorney General to see what he will do. Please folks beware of Kirby Sales. They are the best scammers in the world. I take the blame for being so stupid to fall for such a scam. I must add - the vacuum is not better, only much heavier than most. I was given a trade in value of $50-100 for my older model. I will never buy another Kirby.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2014

This whole operation was not normal at all. A man was left at my door with this machine and of course I let him in where he stayed for the next two hours :/ WOW. I told the guy at the very beginning that there was no way that I was buying, but he went into this long and drawn out demo all the while answering "business" calls. He had little white circles all over the place. He even went to the bedroom where he showed me how horrible of a disaster my bed was and kept saying that it surely did not matter to him if I bought the thing or not, all he wanted was $25 for doing the demonstration. Whatever.

I let him do the demo and as I said it took about two hours and some goofy "manager" came over talking the price down and saying that this was an extremely good price and blah, blah, blah. I stuck with my no and then they acted annoyed and angry! The so called manager left AGAIN!? And FINALLY came back to get this guy out of my house. WTH kind of operation is this?!?!?! No people. Please do not let yourselves get scammed into this madness.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2014

More or less talked into buying this cleaner especially when the demo is so convincing and they want you to make the decision on the spot. This is the worst vacuum cleaner ever - heavy and bad for my back, attachments are a pain to use. Service in Australia is non existent. Rang a number in Brisbane a few times about a complimentary service, no one ever showed or rang back. Parts are expensive. Wish I could sell it. Had it for about 5 years now, so it's not worth a pinch of **... Posted a complaint the first week I had it and no response from Kirby at all.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2014

Me and my fiance just moved to Phoenix. We looked on Craigslist for jobs and saw one that said "$2000 month, no experience needed. Interview today, just call." So I call and a lady told us the company. It's called Kairose. I specifically asked what kind of job it is because I don't care to do sales. She assured me it wasn't sales so we set up an interview, fill out info and boom, she said we were hired. I asked what it is we will be assigned to, she says the Kirby. I'm like wth is a Kirby. Then she goes, "We will go into further details during training."

So I'm skeptical but desperate for work, go to training and it's sales..... One, she lied about the name; two, everything was written on script... Let me sum it up. A guy gets up there telling his personal life then trips and awards the exact way you have all heard it. The next day, they teach you how to put a vacuum together. Today, we learned how to scam. In other words, no it's not an answer. So a few mins ago, my fiance and I google Kirby reviews and found this. I'm reporting Kirby. It's a false advertisement, a scam. Not only that but everything is a script on paper. I still have it for evidence.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2014

The salesman just wouldn't give up! My husband & I felt sorry enough for the young man doing the demo, that we caved in & bought the stupid Kirby! I HATE IT! The salesman said "women" designed this one & afterwards, I thought about it & decided NO WOMAN in her right mind would design such a stupid vacuum! No on-board attachments...have to take the damn thing apart to put attachments on! WAY TOO MUCH OF A HASSLE!! They're just as heavy as I remember them being! I would LOVE to "unload" this thing, but no one would pay for it! I would pay one cent for another Kirby! EVER!! Don't waste your money! I wish I had my bagless Hoover back!! Do yourself a favor & buy ANY vacuum besides a Kirby!! I wish we had never bought one! I pity anyone who gets "suckered" into it as we did. I truly felt pushed into it!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2014

I had a salesman come to my door today, stating he was giving "free carpet cleaning". Who doesn't want that?! Not thinking I let him in, he said he had to tell his manager and he'd be back in a few minutes. So the 2 men came in and the "manager" introduced himself then left and said he'd be back. The original guy, let's call him Jim, continued with his demonstration asking me how often I vacuum and asked me to bring it out. He used these white circular pads to show me all the dirt, (wow made me feel dirty). He then began to walk over to my bedroom, without asking, and started vacuuming my mattress showing me on the black pads how dirty it was. He then told me that for $1000 down and only $349 a month I could own a Kirby.

First of all my cat payment isn't that much, why would I pay that for a vacuum? He then asked to use my phone since he had "no service" and called his boss to lower the price. Boss man lowered it to $0 down, no payments for 3 mos, and only $185/m. Still too pricey for me. At this point I made my mind up that I'm not buying this thing. His attitude does change a little, he doesn't become rude but he does try to make me feel guilty. Luckily for me I don't usually feel pressured. He begins vacuuming the living room and piling the white pads all over the kitchen floor! His manager will be counting the pads to make sure he actually worked. (Really??) He then asks to call his manager so they could shampoo the carpet.

The manager was a different guy, and he had to have been the pushiest sales man ever! Telling me, who cares what my husband thinks or who can't afford $2 a day? He should have stayed home, he definitely made me not want to buy it. Then he said, "Fine, I'll give it to you dirt cheap, I'm not making money and Jim won't be getting any commission". He gave me such a low quote who wouldn't want to buy it?! Me! I told him, "No, and nothing would change my mind." He must have gotten frustrated because he said, "You'll never own a Kirby for this price with that attitude." And walked out the door. Poor Jim was left to clean my carpet in silence. He tried to talk me into it a little bit more

And shared some personal stories with me (not sure how true they were). Then finally he was ready to leave. He used my phone one last time to call his manager, (where did he go?) and said goodbye and handed me a card. He waited outside for about another 30 mins before his manager came back. Now Jim left around 530pm.. At 0930 & 1115 I got calls from his manager (ignored of course). Finally he texted me stating, "Call me". Pretending not to know who he was I simply texted back, "Who's this". And I got "Wrong person". I'm not really sure what to think of this presentation. I hate pushy salesmen. Being the paranoid person I am, I began to think if this was a scam (I'm going to come home to any empty house) or if Jim was simply much nicer than his boss and manager. I did call the boss with a restricted number and he did answer. Anyone else have a weird situation with these gigs?

Original review: Jan. 1, 2014

I hate Kirby that all I got to say is not worth my money at all. Especially, I hate the seller. She force me to buy and she stole my good vacuum to trade over this ** to make me buy it. So hate Kirby employee in Saint Paul, Minnesota.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2013

On Dec. 13th, Friday evening, a Kirby salesman talks my 82 year old mother into buying a $1,900.00 vacuum. They would not take no for a answer. When I got home, she told me what happened. She was so upset and started to cry. I called the very next morning and canceled the order and told them my mom could not afford it. I told them absolutely not to charge her credit card and he said I had hurt his feelings because he wouldn't do that. They said they would come by and pick it up the following Thursday and return her vacuum.

Guess what? When they returned, they would not take the vacuum back even though my mom repeatedly asked them to. They conveniently forgot her vacuum that they had taken and insisted on coming back to demonstrate the vacuum for me. And the credit card, you guessed it. I got back from vacation and they had charged her card for the vacuum. I am so angry. They lied, they bullied my elderly mother, and they refused to take no for an answer. I contacted mom's credit company and they are helping to remove the charges. My advice, don't let them in the door.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2013

My neighborhood has gone downhill in last 20 years. The first time I saw older gentleman I thought he was stepfather on my security camera. I told him I was not interested and did not make purchases without discussing with my husband. Today in Dec 23, 2013 a young girl rang my door. Thinking it was my beautiful daughter-in-law, I open it. I was expecting my mom and step dad shortly. She asks if she can demonstrate what turns out to be a Kirby vacuum. Next thing them older man was back and the young girl left. All alone with man I did not know. I had my pastor trying to call me, my mom came shortly. He said they were opening up store here which is downright lie. He went thru demonstration trying to show what things my new commercial grade vacuum left behind.

I have owned two Kirbys and hated them, they are not worth the money. I expressed concern for the young girl driving around knocking on doors. The man spewed out how I did not buy purchases without consulting my hubby. I recognized him then. Insulted me which made me defensive. I started getting angry thinking who is this man and realizing I had been scammed letting this person in my house. He ruined my only Christmas time with my mom. Lost his temper at me and question my faith saying he was feeling uplifted before he entered my phone. The little girl said they were trying to win a trip. He called into his manager asking my name and address so supposedly he, gets this bonus. Like a fool I gave it to him and like this other person I am scared they might come back and rob me.

The vacuum was over 3000 dollars, he dropped it down to 900 dollars. I said no. He never gave me his name nor card and I am realizing what a dummy I was because he used that little girl to get in home. He knew I would never had let him in. I have hidden security cameras everywhere and I am licensed to carry a weapon. But I want to know who the Hades he called and who has my name and address. I didn't appreciate his deception nor attitude. My husband said he had told him no, week earlier when I was ill. I wish I had asked who he was giving my name and address to. When I warn him this neighborhood has went bad, I stayed here to help my father-in-law who had cancer and was given 6 months to live but lived ten years. I want to move.

I asked if he tried this neighborhood that might actually want to buy one. He called them snobs not wanting working man like him in. He reminded me of an ex-con. I felt guilty thinking that but my hubby said he was the one that was deceptive and attacking my faith because I worried about that little girl. I am sure she has no training in self-defense nor target practice, I have been robbed few times so now I have all my bases covered in where I hid cameras and record and hide recorder. To be insulted, deceived, and my time ruined by this deception has me angry.

I am calling every Kirby near Conyers, Georgia and find out who took my name and address. I have No Solicitation signs posted. And I will look more clearly at who is walking around the. Neighborhood. I pray this is no scam to go back to break in. I am always at home and thankfully the constitution protects my right to defend my loved ones. I feel deceived and his outburst was unprofessional and scary. I looked up and there is no Kirby store in Conyers, Georgia and I called and there is no permit for any being built nor applied for permit to have one. So some older man whose name I was never given, is using a young girl to gain access to people in a neighborhood that has had a lot of break-ins.

Bless him if he is legit and needing income but no one in this economy can afford a 3000 dollar vacuum. You are lucky if you even have a job. I am making calls tomorrow to find out if he was legitimate and find out who he gave my address and name to. My hubby is right, he is not to feel sorry for, he knew I was not interested and used that girl to deceive. I have warned all the elderly neighbors I grew up with but the crime rate has shot up. I am not going to any place I do not know. Has anyone else had this happen in the Conyers, Georgia area? Did anyone get his card? He is not quite 6 ft, grey hair, a short grey beard, **, slim, blue eyes, missing tooth in back of mouth, slim frame with short petite blonde hair. ** girl wearing brown cap and jacket. I did not see what they were driving and I am too tired to rewind all cams to find out. They were in city part of Conyers, Georgia off of old Salem Road?

Original review: Dec. 20, 2013

I was approached yesterday afternoon, by a door to door salesman. He said they were opening a new cleaning supply store near here, and could he show me a few products? Next thing I know, he says he needs some floor space to demonstrate his products. In he comes with boxes, and starts to assemble a Kirby vacuum. Over four hours later he finally left. While he was polite, and courteous, I was totally taken by surprise with his tactics. Furthermore, he wanted to use my phone to make business calls to his manager, etc. These people were not local, and will probably not return.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2013

The Kirby salesmen were dropped off at our house and persistently asked if they could come in to demonstrate their product, not taking no for an answer. They stayed for 4 HOURS! There were two salesmen - one male, one female. The male was ok. He pretty much stayed quiet the whole time. But the female came into our home acting as if it were her own. She walks through my house on her own going through all the rooms, opening doors without permission! She even asked us to make her a sandwich!

She was very rude, especially considering we didn't want them to come in in the first place. Their visit was absolutely ridiculous! I felt as if my home were invaded. I couldn't believe they stayed for 4 hours! After repeatedly telling them we were not interested in their product. I was very disappointed with their service and neglect of the word "NO".

Original review: Dec. 19, 2013

I have had about three Kirby Hoovers upgrading them each time that we had one. My wife at the time said that they were too heavy for her to lift so I took it up the stairs for her. I really do think that people prefer different Hoovers to use other than a Kirby. I get on with it fine. I wouldn't be without my Hoover at all. I do get phone calls to say that a man will be in your area to come and see your hoover and do a good clean over on it. I am here to see that it is done properly which it is because it is stripped down and cleaned with a rag and WD forty and then cleaned with a rag. It is well done.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2013

About a year or so ago I was very desperate for a job and was looking at Craigslist constantly. I found this extremely vague add listing nothing about the company itself but promising $2,000 a month to begin and an immediate interview. I don't know why I thought for even a second that it would lead to something legit, but again I was desperate. Still a bit skeptical, I made sure to ask two straight-out questions: 1. do we have to buy anything or invest? 2. what is the name of the company? She said "no, we do not." And two, the name was "The 1, 2, 3 Group". I guess each location makes up some random name so that they don't have to name the company. I couldn't find anything about that name on the internet, so I guess I assumed that the company was new but also didn't have any complaints. Either way, I drove an hour to the interview and met with a woman. It was a small rented office with cheap furniture, nothing permanent and it looked like they moved in the day before. The woman I met with was.. interesting. Metallic blue eye shadow, lip liner and dark brown lipstick, drawn-in eyebrows and tacky fake nails. But hey, for $2,000 a month I'll pretend not to judge anyone. She explained that it was a vacuum sales company. I remember straight out asking her if we had to make our own appointments and she said "no, our "canvassers" do that for you, the appointment is already set up." The woman called me that evening to tell me I was hired.

There was 4 of us in the training, we were all about 18-22. The first day of training she spent literally over three hours telling us her entire life story. She began from when she was a kid, the first jobs she had, her first boyfriend, the most random things. We were all so confused and had no idea why we were wasting our time, in unpaid "training" sitting there listening to this woman talk about herself for three hours. Finally she started actually talking about the job, and she did this huge show about all these trips we would be taking. She made it all seem so easy and amazing, talking about how not only do we get $2,000 a month but we would also be making a ton of money on commission, conveniently failing to mention that you get either/or and not both. Slowly things would come out, usually with my asking questions that she would very reluctantly answer. I didn't return to the second day of training.

I don't doubt that the vacuums are good, I know they are.. but the dishonestly is just incredibly frustrating and absurd. This many people complaining about rude, aggressive sales people, not being able to get their money back even in the 3 day period or contact anyone, employees not getting paid. To the few people defending Kirby on here.. how can you possibly defend a company that has endless upon endless reports of this kind of stuff? There is no excuse, and it's not okay.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2013

Had a demo that I was promised would be 20 min and remove a perspiration stain from a sofa. After wasting an hour and a half of my time, scrubbing so hard he damaged the slip cover the stain is still there. On top of that, my girl friend told me after they left the guy asked for her phone number and in my driveway the next morning was a bunch of their black filters I had to pick up. Come into someone's home under false pretenses, damage their property, and behave outrageously disrespectfully toward your host/potential customer... what a great bunch of people.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2013

I used my older model Kirby for over 12 years, with little or no problems. I was talked into upgrading for a wooing $800, plus turn in my old vacuum. I don't know what I was thinking, but I did it and I'm PISSED! Some crook came to my door 2 years ago and I've been unsatisfied every since. It doesn't pick up like the old one. I have to purchase an Oreck to substitute for the disaster of the new Kirby. I tried to contact the company but got the runaround and the sales person didn't put his distributor's number on the paperwork. DON'T TRUST THE KIRBY ANY MORE AND I'VE BEEN SCAMMED! This is sad, because I encouraged 13 of my friends to purchase Kirbys in the past. I've since then told others not to WASTE THEIR TIME! It's such a shame to have such a quality product go down in it's performance. SHAME, but don't WASTE time or money on this CON-VACUUM - It doesn't work! Buy an ORECK instead!

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Benita, We are disappointed to learn that you are unhappy your Kirby Sentria home care system.

For over ninety-five (95) years, The Kirby Company has prided itself on creating a product known for its quality, reliability, and performance. The Sentria, like all models of Kirby home cleaning systems, was designed and constructed with state-of-the-art technology to become a leader in the home cleaning industry.

There are several reasons why the Kirby may not be picking up. First check to see if the brush roll is rotating. If it is not turning freely, the belt is slipping, broken, or not engaged properly. You can also check to see if the bag is full or the air intake is clogged.

You may also contact Kirby Direct for technical assistance to ensure your Kirby home cleaning system is set up properly at 1-800-437-7170. Kirby Direct is in the office Monday through Friday from 8 am to 7:30 pm and on Saturday from 9 am to 5 pm ET.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2013

Well, my husband was deployed to Afghanistan in a few weeks, and we were letting go of our apartment so I can stay with family temporarily. We needed to get our carpet cleaned for two rooms, and we had found a note on our door when we got back from running an errand saying a cleaning company in the area wanted to clean one room carpet for free to test out their product, no obligations. So we thought it was perfect, but we didn't call because we were busy. Then later, someone knocked on the door and asked if we had gotten their flyer, we said yes, and we agreed they could clean our carpet for free but that we weren't going to buy any of their products. So she says someone in half an hour would come by and it would only take 20 minutes. Well, she took an hour. It was about 2:30 pm, she left a major mess with all the circle stuff with the dirt all over our wood floors.

My husband was packing while I was watching my daughter and listening to this sales girl talk and talk about the vacuum, and she started following my husband wherever he went. Whether it was in the kitchen, or in our daughter’s room. I thought it was very unprofessional. Not to mention she was wearing a short shirt that looks like it was from when she was 16 years old, her ass crack was showing every time she bent down. My husband got very uncomfortable especially since she kept grabbing his shoulder and talking to him about his military life. I have never had a Kirby vacuum in my life, and since we have a baby, she said it wouldn't be healthy for her without one etc. And me as a new parent started to get paranoid because of the mite, and the dust. We ended up making installments of 134 a month, and we are making additional payments, the total cost is $2,800.

Now I look back and totally she scammed us, my husband’s father paid 1500 for the exact same vacuum. I personally think these vacuums are great, but not for the price. There are cheaper vacuums that do and have the exact same thing, that aren't expensive. Plus the sales girl was disrespectful by showing her ass crack and following my husband and grabbing his shoulder around the house, when he and I had told her I would be the one she needed to talk to. If it wasn't for my daughter, we wouldn't have had an interest and we would have told her to get the eff out. I guess we are just young and dumb beginner parents for falling to buy this stupid vacuum. Not to mention I was the one who convinced my husband, because he had no interest at all. I will never again open my door to any Kirby reps or purchase another product from them. Not worth it.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

We are disappointed to learn that you are unhappy with your home care system.

Since The Kirby Company is not involved in the retail sales of its home cleaning systems, we are unable to cancel purchases or rescind contracts between distributors and their customers.

If you would like to contact us we can forward your comments to the independent distributorship and ask that you are contacted. Please call us at 1-800-494-8586, Monday through Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., EST.

We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2013

We traded our Dyson vacuum and steam cleaner for a Kirby vacuum and optional carpet cleaner. First lesson, never buy anything over $100 that you can't return or get required equipment from a local store. Bags have to be ordered online, belts as well. The belts last for approximately 2 uses before burning up. The second lesson, the girl who sold us this burning piece of ** (belts literally fill house with smell of burnt rubber) is a career college student because she came back 5 years later wanting to sell us another one. If anyone wants this piece of **, will gladly trade for a Dyson.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

We are disappointed to learn that you are unhappy with the new Sentria home care system.

state-of-the-art technology to become a leader in the home cleaning industry.

For technical assistance over the phone or to purchase parts and supplies, you may contact Kirby Direct at 1-800-437-7170. Kirby Direct is in the office Monday through Friday 8a.m. to 7:30 p.m. and on Saturday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Eastern Time.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2013

About 4pm today, two 18-20 somethings knocked on my door offering a free 1-2 room carpet cleaning. They only asked that you tell family or friends if you liked the job done. I figured it was an actual cleaning service trying to get its name out - those have come around before in my complex. They assured me it was pet safe and dries within 45 minutes, which would have been ok since I have to leave for class at 6pm. So I say yes and move my 50lb fold out ottoman and the rest of my stuff off the floor so it can be cleaned. 10 minutes later, one of them comes back and a new guy comes in with giant boxes. We confirm they can clean the living room and one of them leaves, leaving me alone in the apartment with one man. (I'm a young lady, living by myself, but I wasn't worried. I have knives and thin walls.)

He starts the Talk. The SALES TALK. And I'm like, "WHOA, HEY. You said you were going to clean my carpet for free press, nothing about buying anything." Then they throw around insults to my current vacuum, which, yes, is a piece of ** but it works ok. He chooses a 3x4 square of my carpet to repeatedly vacuum until 5:18pm, talking nonstop about how dangerous my current vacuum is, how much ** is in my air, and blah blah blah. I knew immediately that this was a bad idea but it got worse. He starts going on about this "Pie in the face" contest he has with another salesman, whoever wins gets to throw a pie in the others face. I don't think that'll happen. He asked me to help him get there. Then he gave me the story about him being 19 and having a baby already. Dude, your bad decisions are not on me. I am not responsible for helping you.

While he's doing the demo, he keeps calling someone about this being "His trip to Tahoe", and the way he worded it sounded so much like "When I sell this girl a vacuum, I'm rich enough to go to Tahoe." And I infer that was his suggestion by the rest of the reviews too, that they claim trips will be coming up. I get very angry when he starts trying to learn about what kind of credit I have, if I'd do a payment plan, how it's "$3500" from the office, and whatever, how he's such a great salesman he's authorized to do deals for me. "You won't even do it for 2$ a day? 35$ A month?" ** no! I am up to my gills in debt as it is!!! While he's vacuuming onto little white circles, I google Kirby reviews and found this page. I told him he had to hurry because I got to go to class. Then he tried to use the damn thing on my BED - MY BED - which I just had delivered to me, brand new, 2 days ago! NO.

I told him "I am NOT buying anything today. It's not happening." He said, "That's fine, I get paid anyways," in such an arrogant, snotty way I wanted to throttle him. I made him pack his things, and he kept calling his manager like "It's just bad timing. She's not confident enough. Set up my next appointment.” And when he was leaving, being the polite gal I am I said, "Better luck next house." To which he replied, "Oh, I sell at all the houses." NOT AT MY HOUSE. I've never hoped someone actually doesn't get paid for their job more. This sheer arrogance of this guy and his "You'll buy because I want you to" attitude just pissed me off. And I just lost 2 precious hours off on one of the only 2 days a week I am going to school instead of working. Ugh.

HHello Gabri,

The Kirby Company takes all complaints seriously and apologizes for the conduct of the distributorship’s representative. Although the relationship between The Kirby Company and its distributorships is that of vendor/vendee, we expect the distributors to conduct themselves and their businesses in professional manners.

We would like to contact the owner of the distributorship to review your comments with him/her. Please contact our Customer Relations Department at 1-800-494-8586, Mon-Fri, 8am-5pm est.

We look forward to assisting you.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2013

I was excited for the young man selling the Kirby vacuum cleaner. He was talking about winning a trip for his upcoming wedding and going to Mexico. I let him pitch his product and do the vacuuming of my dining room and bedroom carpet. After all that was said and done, I felt pressured into purchasing the vacuum cleaner and he had explained that I had five days to think about this purchase. After much consideration and going over my finances, I'd realized that it could not fit into my budget.

I called the company and explained this situation on the fourth day and was told it was too late to change my mind. He explained that it was only three days to state that I had to cancel this order. What a scam. I now have to report him to Consumer Affairs and close my banking account. This is a joke. What type of people are out here trying to steal your hard earned money. Kirby has really done a dis-service to the public as well as myself. I would never recommend Kirby to anyone else.

Hello Mattie,

The Kirby Company manufactures high quality cleaning systems, which it sells to independently owned and operated businesses or “distributorships.” These distributorships, through a network of salespeople or “dealers,” then sell the cleaning systems to consumer end-users via in-home demonstrations. As such, the relationship between The Kirby Company and the distributorships is that of vendor/vendee.

As stated on your contract, you had three business days to cancel the purchase of your Kirby system. Your cancellation request must have been in writing and postmarked no later than the third business day after the sale. This three-day cancellation policy is a federal law known as the "Cooling-Off Rule.”

If you would like to contact us we can forward your comments to the independent distributorship and ask that you are contacted to discuss you cancellation request please call us at 1-800-494-8586, Monday through Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., EST.

We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2013

We had a gal come to the door trying to sell a vacuum and while we told her we weren't interested nor could afford it, she wanted to come in and clean a room for us. We went with it. After one late appointment they came in and the woman proceed to vacuum a portion of one room about 2 square feet. She never got off her butt the whole time just kept making these circular screens with dirt on them to show how good the vacuum was.

All along we kept saying we couldn't afford it and that the one we bought 5 years earlier we were never happy with. When the manager would pop his head in the house he tried the hard sell and finally left. You could tell he was doing his best polite routine, but we must have told them over 10x we weren't going to buy another as we were not happy with the one we had. And on that note it never worked right the moment after we got it.

Lifetime warranty? No they told us that because we took our $2,500 vacuum somewhere else to get fixed warranty was no good. Their nearest store at the time 100 miles away. Anyways they suck, not worth the money. Hire a carpet cleaner better than a 2,500 dollar vacuum. IMHO, that whole thing about cleaning a room really chapped my hide. They make promises thinking that even after being told we didn't like the product they could get in and make the sale. Dyson makes a good vacuum for a fraction of the cost.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2013

Easy way to avoid them is to answer door, take the gift they are giving, look at them and tell them you already have a Kirby vacuum. I was actually conned into getting one same thing. You all have went through the white circles, how disgusting it was, blah blah blah. About 3 years later, a new one shows up and do what I mentioned first but surprised him. I actually didn't know how to put the carpet cleaner piece on so I said, "Hey, can you show me how to do this?" He showed me, was really nice and left. Guess he figured he couldn't sell me a newer model that was probably identical to the one I had just a few more years newer. So if anything, just tell them you already own one. If they like to lie, so can you.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2013

Purchased a Kirby vacuum on 10/16/2013 on the guidelines that it would be better for my home than my Dyson was and that their bags were reusable (which, by the way, I just found out that they're not). So not only was this item falsely advertised to me when I purchased it, but the company of distributors that I purchased it from are as rude and ruthless as could be. Great 8 Enterprise LLC is who employs the seller who we purchased it from whose name was Issac.

They're all liars and will say anything to get you to buy the item whether it's true or not. I am prepared to stop payment on it, as well as contact the local news stations to make a fuss, the Better Business Bureau. I will do whatever I have to do to get this fixed. Save your time, money, and the hassle of getting ripped off. DON'T BUY A KIRBY!!!!

Ms. Haynes,

As a matter of information, the Company manufactures high quality cleaning system, which it sells to independently owned and operated businesses or “distributorships,” such as Great 8 Enterprises. These distributorships, through a network of salespeople or “dealers,” then sell the cleaning systems to consumer end-users via in-home demonstrations. As such, the Company’s relationship with the distributorships is that of vendor/vendee.

However we show you have contacted our Customer Relations Department and a complaint was opened on your behalf. We will continue to mediate this matter as you work with the Independent Distributor towards a resolution.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners Company Information