2. Homeowners
  3. Vacuum Cleaners

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners Reviews

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.65/5

For nearly one-hundred years, The Kirby Company has manufactured superior, American-made home cleaning systems. Kirby does not sell directly to the public but continues a long tradition of distributing its home cleaning systems through independent distributors, who are responsible for running their own businesses. Over the years, this distribution system has afforded thousands of men and women the opportunity to live the American dream of owning and operating their own businesses.

Experience has taught us that customers prefer to try our premium cleaning systems in their own homes before purchasing. Customer satisfaction is our top priority. If customers have any questions or concerns regarding the in-home demonstrations of Kirby cleaning systems or the cleaning systems themselves, please email us at consumer@kirbywhq.com, or call us at 800-494-8586, Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., EST.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kirby Vacuum Cleaners?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kirby?

Original review: March 1, 2014

Salesman came to my house to show me a demonstration. I was like okay. So the price was to be around 2400. I said I could not pay that much so he called someone on the phone, they said 1600. So the rep has me fill out paper work and sign it. Then I get a call back confirming this. So I ask the person who he was and he said he was Brandon the Boss. I asked him for his # just in case, I really wanted to wait to think about this but they were pushy. After he left they said they would deliver my product and I got a year supply of bags. Ok that sounds good. He leaves. I did not get my vacuum for a few days. I get it, open it up and it's the demo not the new machine. I did not get a year supply of bags, I got three.

So I call this Brandon and let him know and tell him I wanted to cancel the sale. He says it was too late and then very rude ask where I got his number and I told him he gave it to me the day of the sale. I cried and said I could not afford it, that it ended up not being the 1600.00, it was the 2400. After all with finance charges and what not. He was so rude he said he would have me arrested for phone harassment. I said is this how you can make money by mistreating senior citizens. I sucked it up, been paying this worthless machine off. I have been hungry a lot due to I have to take money from my food to pay this. I still have this 300 lb vacuum that is suppose to be so easy. It is heavy as heck to push around.

I would sell it for the pay off if I could. I hate it. I have a no solicitation sign on my front door now to find a way to stop the phone calls. I'm ready to give up my phone now. We can not have a private life anymore as Americans. I thought our homes were our safe havens. I guess not. We senior citizens are under attack for scammers. In the end here. I can not believe Kirby did not stand behind this when I asked, or even Brandon the Boss told me that was the sales rep's fault. The sales rep had to be talking to him. I found out later it was all a gimmick to get people to buy it, sign the paper and then do not deliver until after the 3 day to cancel, then you're stuck. What a gimmick. This should be put under close watch. They are dirty in the way they do business.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2014

I purchased my Kirby 1992, this is 2014 and it's still going strong. I have real bad allergies and asthma, I was never able to use a vacuum until I purchased my Kirby G4. Yes, it's heavy but cleans better than Dyson and all the rest. Ever see a vacuum last this long, it had its tune ups, replaced the impeller once (due to a friend using it wrong), new roller to replace worn out roller, 5 belts and on new vacuum bag. All these items in 23 years and probably $400.00 worth. It has a forward and reverse transmission assist, and HEPA technology for bags. Yes they are expensive but do the math.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2014

Never buy a Kirby they are heavy hard to use and the one I bought a year ago is now a piece of crap. I called the distributor and am waiting for a call back. Worst mistake I ever made, my husband is furious. In debt for 1600 including interest. Will never answer the door again. Anyone want a Kirby LOL. Going back to a Hoover and junk this one.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2014

I have seen really awful reviews about Kirby sales people and I just want to share my experience. It was about 5 pm on Sunday when this young guy knocked my door. I thought he was those church people going around which is totally fine but they usually do that in the morning. He offered a free room shampoo stating that it should dry in 15 minutes. We had nothing to do that afternoon so I decided to take a look. He later came back with a box and a what appeared to be a travel kit. He then opened the box and assembled this thing. At that moment I knew what was going on, it was a Kirby demonstration. My mother has had a Kirby for about 20+ years and I grew up pushing it around. The only bad thing I remember was putting the belt on and changing the bags. She still has it to this day and the carpet looks really good for being that old. My parents replaced it once and the only reason was after 3 years we moved in my brother burned half of the carpet in the living room.

Coming back to the demonstration I was impressed how much dirt it was pulling out, the house is basically new, only 3 years since it was built. Besides being new we had just had our carpet professionally cleaned a week before and paid $300 for 4 bedrooms, a hallway and the living room. Even after having it clean we could still smell the pet odor from a pee our German shepherd did on the living room. Over the years we have gone through many vacuums hoovers, bissells, dysons and finally Oreck was the one we stayed after it survived somehow after 3 years, which was the most expensive vacuum at 699 until yesterday. He poured baking soda into the carpet and attempted to clean it passing the Oreck 100 times!! There was no way there was still baking soda there it looked like it was all gone. He turned on the Kirby for like 2 seconds and a mountain of baking soda came from the carpet. I knew the Kirby would be expensive but after I think it must been 22 years my mother had hers it is well worth it. He asked to do the bed but that wasn't happening so I declined. He then proceeded to the shampoo part and for me has to be one of the best features of the Kirby.

He shampooed my living room and sprayed some kind of pet odor remover on the spot the accident happened. By the end me and my wife were really impressed by it and were thinking of buying something good for our house. He came with 2495 at first but there was no way I was gonna spend that much for the Kirby. I remembered a couple of my friends bought the model before, the Sentria for 1600 when it was new so I figured it would be around that price range. After my trade in and everything I bought the Sentria II for 1500 no down and I chose the 18 month payment for like $98. The guy was really pushing the 36 month plan for $56 but I'm planning to pay it by 6 months. I don't like pushy sales people if I want to buy something I buy it, I don't need someone telling you what you should buy, we are all grown ups here.

The Kirby is an awesome machine only negatives are the price tag and it's a little heavy, I help my wife to do the upstairs and stairs as she does downstairs. We share everything, she cooks, I get the dishes, we have that kind of thing. I just wanted to get my story to other people out there. In any kind of business there are bad employees and we remember 20 times more a bad service than a good one. Thankfully for the sake of this young man he was respectful and only took about 50 min to do his presentation. By the way it took 30 minutes to dry which I knew having used the Kirby shampooer before. We are really happy with our new Kirby, all shiny aluminum which itself speaks volume on quality. Nowadays everything is plastic, and it's great there things out there still made to last.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2014

A lady came to my door on a Sunday afternoon with ripped up jeans and said she was from Kirby but wasn't here to sell me anything. She told me that they were pushing a new product and service inside their company. It was free to me and I should just find comfort in that. They weren't there to sell me anything. They just wanted to let me try out their scotch guard. So, I said okay. (ps..she smelled like cheese)

The lady went out to her van and came back with two other people and a Kirby vacuum in a box. She started trying to be my friend and started slipping in vacuum talk right away as she and a big dumb looking teenager and a young lady tried to put together this $3,495.00 vacuum. Within 5 minutes of being in my house, I realized I let 3 idiots in my house and the big dumb teenager asked to use my bathroom. As soon as the main lady running this 3 ring circus had this vacuum put together, she left. The big kid stayed and started trying to use this vacuum. After 30 minutes of vacuuming maybe a 4 ft. by 4 ft. area, I told him this was going to take way too long and that I knew what they were trying to do. I told him to just wrap it up.

He continued to clean and told me that he didn't have a ride and he just had to stay. I told him he had 15 minutes to finish up. He began to panic. After 15 minutes, I said, Times up, stop, and put this stupid vacuum back in the box and leave. He of course couldn't figure out how to put it back in the box. I asked him while he was trying, where the scotch guard is anyway. He took out a water bottle out of his bag and held it up. My wife and I started laughing out loud.

I finally got him out of my house and told him to go wait by the street for his ride. So he took his stupid Kirby box out by the road and waited. He pulled out a roast beef sandwich or something...started eating it. About 30 minutes later, he rang my doorbell and asked if I could refill his water bottle. I said, wasn't that the scotch guard? He laughed that he forgot he told me it was scotch guard. He said it was SO hot outside and he had on all black and he was just dying from the intense heat. . I said, "Didn't you just tell me you were going into the marines?" I laughed however, I doubt he actually was even going into the marines.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2014

When I came home last week, about 430p, a nice young man was waiting at my door. He was offering a carpet cleaning free of charge for a company promotion. Just to get the word out. I sadly let him in, showed him my high traffic area. He said be right back, just got to get my equipment. He showed back up with another man, his manager apparently, and two boxes of Kirby equipment. They assured me it would take no longer than 40 minutes to vac/clean my carpet and it would be dry ASAP. And no, I refused to let him vacuum my mattress.

3 hours later... the poor boy was still doing an excellent demonstration with many, many dirt pads from my couch, carpet and kitchen floor, even my ceiling. He was very friendly and we talked while he worked. His manager periodically showed up, took phone calls (all of which he answered "POSITIVE", not hello) then finally took over the sales pitch. (My entire floor was never cleaned as promised, just one area, and it was still wet hours later.)

$2500 sound good? No? How about today's special $2198? With $250-500 down and payment $87-105/mo. No? $1699 with trade of my vac and $9 down (which he would pay for me) for $89/mo? No? Final offer, $1600, no money down, $63/mo. AND I am throwing in a Bahamas trip!!! Now, I admit this machine does an amazing job... the demo sells itself, the poor young man doing all the work was trying to earn his reward, a trip somewhere sunny (my guess is Bahamas since they can just throw that out as part of a deal) and he only needed 2 more sales, he even sold one to his momma. I admit, I was feeling pressure from the manager, he wouldn't give up and made me feel like a bad mom if I didn't buy this machine, especially since my children have allergies and this machine would make a huge difference in their health, in his opinion.

I finally agreed, but told him I would have to discuss with my husband, who was not home. "No problem" he says, "we sell to moms' home alone all the time, that's why we have this 3 day cancellation policy. If your husband doesn't agree, just call and we will pick the Kirby back up, return your vac and be done. We do it all the time, and this way, your salesman still gets credit for the sale, even if you cancel. It's win win. Just fill out this application and I'll get you all set up?" Guess what? No one won here...

So I am filling out the form, "why do you need all this info?" I ask. "Aren't you just going to be taking the money straight from my checking acct each month?" "Oh yeah," he says, "don't worry about filling all that out. Now we just have to call into the finance dept, can I use your phone?" They used my phone for every call they had to make that night. He calls, gives some crap about please make this happen, she really really wants this Kirby, her children need it blah blah blah... Give me some good news... Guess what I hear next from the phone? Someone shouts out POSITIVE... Is this coincidence? Who did he actually call? My paperwork shows a good $800 in interest that I will be paying on top of the $1600 deal. I was not told that.

As they are leaving 3+ hours later after first walking in, manager guy tells me the finance dept will be calling me to finalize agreement that night. But, as I had been telling him for 30 mins, I needed to go out and pick up my daughter. Apparently, while driving I missed that call, which I now believe was a good thing. My husband was not happy at all about the Kirby, so I decided to just let them know that same night that I was not going to keep it. But there was actually no phone number to call. I had to instead fill out and mail in the cancellation, hoping it would arrive by the deadline. The next morning, nice and early, the finance people called again. I cut her off quickly telling her there was no need to go over anything as I was not keeping the Kirby.

Three days later, another Kirby guy shows up at my door to talk me into keeping the Kirby. He is even willing to lower the price once again. He thought I had already finalized the deal with finance, which sounded as if I had done that. I was kinda stuck keeping it??? He finally began to slowly pack up the Kirby, which was still assembled and left exactly where the salesman had left it (turns out the Kirby is actually fairly heavy), all the while trying to talk me into keeping it. "No one has ever cancelled before" he says. My salesman does not get the credit as I had been told he would. In fact, the smaller award he received for making my sale was now going to be taken from him.

As he was finally walking out the door, he offered to do another demo with my husband present, maybe change his mind. No thank you, but when will I get my vac back? I am vacuum-less at this point. "Oh yeah," he says. "Someone will give you a call about that." Three days later, I called the manager guy requesting my vac be returned asap. I am still waiting...

Original review: Feb. 19, 2014

Seller wanted to come into home @ 8:00 PM @ night to complete his daily quota to clean or show the actual cleaning ability of his famous vacuum 8:00 PM @ Night when it is black as night without the street light.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2014

I had a visit from door to door salesperson from C&R Distributing out of Jefferson City Mo. I ended up purchasing after a whole afternoon and into the evening of their selling tactics. By the end of the evening I hate 3 sales people sitting at my dining room table. An iron clad contract... by the time I tried to call and cancel which I couldn't even get them to reply till after the 3 day period was up. I also found out that you had to cancel by faxing them my cancellation as my time was up! I remember now I told them I couldn't because I was ill. Now that I think about it I must have had a reaction even then! After the fact I've tried to explain to them I cannot use their vacuum.

Called the Distributor, called the Financial Institution which is United Consumers Financial Services to no avail. There have been numerous calls about me telling them I cannot use the vacuum... Right after I bought it I started coughing that's how it all started. The cough didn't go away. I ended up going to my Dr. and being diagnosed with Bronchitis. I was so very sick, taking breathing treatments three times a day. I have family and friends that can attest to how sick I was as they had to do everything for me. After how many dollars and gas tanks later for Dr.'s visits I still have something really wrong with my lungs. I use to RUN upstairs. I get out of breath now. So I absolutely without a shadow of doubt know I cannot use it, want out of my contract and would love to have a return in the payments I have made thus far... but that's not going to happen. The IRON CLAD CONTRACT won't allow it!

If they came to my door today knowing what I do now, I would shut the door in their face. My lungs will never be the same... and up till then except for my arthritis I thought myself to be pretty healthy. Never had had bronchitis before. I don't know how to deal with them. I've explained my grievances. I am DONE! I don't know who to turn to on this problem. I am not making another payment. When online I have found the same vacuum for $700 something.

Then last and foremost they have a Golden Age/Disabled Purchase Cancellation Procedure. Any consumer who at the time of purchasing a Kirby cleaning system is at least 67 years of age or has a disability regardless of age restricts or prevents the consumers us of the Kirby system may cancel and rescind the purchase transaction up to 9 mos after date of purchase. Then in short... the distributor will return all deposits trade in merchandise and down payments to the consumer. If trade-in is no longer available the Distributor will return something of equal value... blah blah blah. Only thing is I am 61 but I do have a disability (arthritis) which at the time of purchase I was all on one level and now I have 13 stairs to lug the thing up and down... Rest my case! I am such a unhappy customer, you couldn't give me one!

Original review: Feb. 17, 2014

My husband and I got the Kirby back in 2012 I believe and it doesn't do its job at all. We have pet that sheds so there is dog hair everywhere, it won't even pick it up. My other problem with Kirby is their calling 10 times a day because they haven't received a payment. A vacuum cleaner that doesn't do its job and workers that bother their clients, is annoying to me.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2014

I needed a job and money and found ads for the company disguised beneath a typical "Front" name, but a quick Google of the company quickly showed they sold Kirby vacuum cleaners. They have ads on just about every job board I have seen advertising they were looking to fill several positions (including management) while making $550-$600 to start. I decided to try it as I did and still do think the Kirby is the best vacuum on the market. It's not the vacuum, it's the sales tactics the salesmen are taught and other unethical practices that caused me to quit.

Salesmen turnover for Kirby is huge, that is a fact. I cannot speak for others, only myself, so here are my facts. I was "hired" as a 1099 employee (no Kirby company responsibility) as one of 7 people with "management potential", the reason I had considered the job in the first place. Those 7 were out of 20-30 candidates, or so we were told. When I quit (exactly one week from training completion) there were 2 left (if that). Our training was 3 days having our "sales pitch" and demonstration (show) and how to pack and unpack the machine in the box grilled into our heads from repetition.

We finished our "training" Friday afternoon at which time we had to begin preforming "shows", being told in order to become "certified" and receive company generated leads, we had to provide 5 leads of our own. Without those 5 shows they would not give us additional leads. The $600 a week is based on doing 15 shows, all of which require 3 phone calls to the manager to verify and read his scripted reminders to the rep. The shows took for me around 3 hours to complete. We were paid for our original 5 $20 each as long as we followed all of the rules and made the calls and allowed the manager to do his very best to pressure the customer into buying a Kirby.

The retail price of the Sentria II was $2495. Bought during a show for cash, it was $2100 or $2300 financed. I did 4 shows over the weekend where they offered several incentive, bonuses and contests to provide competition among the salesmen. At the bottom of each mimeographed contest sheet was a small disclosure stating that all bonuses, prizes and contests were to be paid at the discretion of the company. I should have known. There was $50 for the most dirt collected, $50 for the first machine sold, $100 bonus for selling a new machine (versus a refurbished one, yes they do sell far cheaper refurbished models if the customer insists they can't afford a Kirby), $20 for each confirmed and conforming show we performed over the weekend, plus any commissions we made for a sale.

I sold 2 over the weekend. One was a refurbished one forced on my Mom for $400 that she couldn't afford to buy nor did she especially need for that matter and a brand new one that miraculously went from $2300 financed down to $1400 with no money down and $62 a month payments and probably could have gone significantly lower. I earned a total of $250 commission for the two sales. I was supposed to get $80 for my visits but because I didn't make my final call from the homeowner's phone to my manager for the high pressure sales routine, I didn't get credit for the call after a 3 hour round trip drive and a 3 hour show.

The dirt contest mysteriously disappeared, and "At the discretion of..." means "If you stay with us more than a week". I forgot to mention that there was also an offered $1000 sign on bonus, payable only after remaining there for 60 days and meeting all of their criteria. Between bonuses and commissions, I should have made about $500 for the weekend. To make a long story short, I got $330, and was told the only reason I got $80 of that was from my being "on the fence" as far as my future with the company went and them paying me "in good faith" to keep me around. It was clear it was intended to get me to stay.

The owner of the branch told me twice he thought I'd quit by the following Monday. He was wrong, I quit the Friday before it. I didn't receive my $50 first sale bonus, the $100 weekend sale contest for selling one (I actually sold 2), the $50 dirt contest, $20 for one of my shows all because that money was to be paid at the company's discretion, and they don't pay it when the salesman doesn't play by their rules and stay under their thumb.

To anyone who needs a job, buyer beware. You can work either commission base only ($200 each new machine sold), or every week sign and do a 15 show agreement that if you dot all your i's and cross all of your t's you'll get $600 for 3 three hour shows a day (plus travel time) which could be doable if the salesmen weren't required to be at the shop at 9 am for a two-hour meeting to sing the Kirby song about "I feel good, I smell good, I look good, etc. and get more "training" (brainwashing). It was spooky watching them sing, clap and act like a bunch of Stepford Wives almost as if performing some strange mystic ritual. It almost had a cult flavor to the atmosphere and made me feel extremely uncomfortable and embarrassed.

Ask a lot of questions, don't believe everything you hear, be prepared to spend a lot of time learning to act like a Stepford Wife, and do expect to lose a lot of your friends or at least have them change the way they act around you as long as you sell Kirby. Kirbys are good machines, probably the best, definitely the most expensive, and readily available refurbished on the Internet for about $300. Not much has changed with them and they are worth far more than $300 for how well they work. As for working as a salesman, if there was ever a last resort job, this is it. Kirby has a pushy salesmen history and many people won't let you near the door, let alone in the house.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2014

On september 27 2013, I ended up buying the kirby vacuum that at the time I thought was the best, the power was great and fell in love. Well now 5 months later for 2160.00 it doesn't work. I have left several messages and no one has called me back. I called the 800 number and they said that there is nothing they can do but try and get in touch with the person that sold it to me. Please help.

Rating has been updated
    Resolution response: March 25, 2014

I tried to call Cust Ser before I wrote my review.READ what I said!!! It took 2 days and another belt PLUS help from a Dyson sales rep to get the Kirby to work.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2014

Purchasing the Kirby Sentria was the ABSOLUTE WORST expensive mistake I ever made! Changing from upright to canister function is clumsy and difficult. Attaching the shampoo system is even worse. My fault that I failed to notice the power cord is NOT retractable and requires manually winding it up as you move (awkward & clumsy). Why there is a "headlight" that illuminates the wall instead of the floor, I don't understand. Worst of all, when I call "Customer Relations," a recording answers saying "your call is important to us" and assuring the caller will be directed to a PERSON momentarily. After listening to annoying recorded messages touting the value of a Kirby and assuring you that your call is important, there is another recording asking you to leave contact information so someone can return your call within 24 hours. I need help NOW, not tomorrow! This Kirby Sentria system is a disastrous investment. My inexpensive Sears brand vacuum works much better!!!

Original review: Feb. 10, 2014

I'm sorry I let this gentleman in. This is the worst vacuum I've ever owned. It has not worked since the sales rep walked out my door. I have since bought a 25.00 Bissell that works better. The shampoo attachment is a joke. I have tried to call Kirby and no one will help me, all I get is a run around. Buyer beware.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2014

I have had a Rainbow vacuum cleaner for years and it was working just fine. One day there was a knock on my door and it was a woman with an air freshener. Let me just say, I let her in and I AM SORRY!!!! I was persuaded to listen to a man show me the Kirby and its benefits. After a LENGTHY presentation, I agreed to get the vacuum. My biggest mistake EVER! It is not the best choice for my home and now I am stuck with a vacuum that does not meet its reputation. I can't resell the vacuum online and get out of debt!! I have tried to sell the system and the depreciation is astronomical!!!! I am not sure what to do now! I am stuck with a product that I regret getting!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2014

I am 18 years old, starting school in the fall and looking for a job to save up money. I've been looking for about 3 months now. I saw an ad on a website saying "HIRING IMMEDIATELY" and it said a bunch of things how I can make 500 dollars a week, plus commission. I called the number, got an interview for 2 hours later (They didn't even ask my age or last name). I rushed to get ready and took a bus, since I don't have a car right now. I got there, filled out an application, and got the interview. The woman said I would be perfect for the job and I could make 500 dollars without making a sale! IMAGINE THAT!

But anyways, throughout the whole interview the woman never told me the company name. She then told me to come back today for orientation which was suppose to last 90 minutes with free lunch, it was actually 3 hours and they didn't let us leave the room. It was about 30 people there who all "got the job". What company can just hire 30 people a day? And they explained to us that we were going to sell vacuums door to door. Let me add that these vacuums are 3000 dollars. And we would make 500 dollars as long as we showed 15 people the vacuums.

They asked me for a list of people I knew (names and numbers) they are just looking for number to harass people. On my way back home, on the bus, I kept thinking about how this didn't sit right with me. It's not, this job is a scam, it will waste your time, and others time, please do yourself a favor. DO NOT apply to this job unless you have NOTHING GOING ON and can afford to waste your days selling 3000 dollar vacuums.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2014

They promised me interest free for 24 months and now they are saying they can't honor it because the salesman didn't put it on the contract. This company is awful and very rude. Please don't buy from them. It's not worth the headache and lies!

Original review: Jan. 27, 2014

My father recently passed away and owned a Kirby vacuum I knew nothing about if it was paid for or not. They took over a month to make contact. I'm guessing the day his payment was late, they didn't contact me. They instead contacted my aunt who has nothing to do with this, told her to pay for it or get sued. When I, well my stepmom, called to see what the options where, it was the same pay for it or get sued. The only other option is to take it back to them which is a 30 min drive. No working with us where they would come get it. Pay for it, bring it back to us, or get sued. Kirby vacuums are apparently worth more than a human life and they don't care about anything other than the money.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2014

It was a Wednesday, a cold snowy day and my daughter was home sick. I hear a knock at the front door. I answer and see a young man holding an air freshener. I was confused at what was going on and the guy said that he had a quick demonstration he would like to do and it would only take a few minutes. At first I thought it was something to do with air fresheners since he handed me one. Then he went to a van that was being driven by a woman and got this bundle. When he got inside he started telling me about Kirby. I was fortunate that my husband was working from home that day. He came down to check and see what was going on and then went back to work.

This guy kept going on and on. He stayed in the living room the entire time, but I also blocked the door so he would not venture to any other rooms. Our bedrooms are all on the second floor. He gave me the personal story about kids and how he was let go from another job. He also told me about how he could win a free trip. He told me the line about how much the vacuum was and I shook my head. I told him that we were not in any financial shape to buy this. He should have noticed that our neighborhood is not a well to do section of the city. Most of the people in our area work and not many have this kind of money for a vacuum. He lowered the price and I still said no. He lowered it again and made a comment that how can we pass up such a good deal - $10 a week is great and who can't afford that?! I was upset.

One who is this person telling me who can afford that. I shook my head and told him that I couldn't. I wished him well. He used our phone to call his manager who came and picked him up. He didn't wait long. I am not sure why we didn't get any calls, perhaps it is because we have an unlisted number. The entire time he is saying how much stuff the vacuum was getting up and showing me the white circles. I wasn't so surprised since our carpets are over 17 years old and we have cats and well children. Never mind I had to go over the spot where he put baking soda on the carpet. Sure his vacuum got a lot of it up, but I had to finish the job later. I was not happy with all of the attachments. Seems like a lot of work taking apart and putting together. All the parts that go along with. What are the odds of losing one or not using them?

This entire thing took over 2 hours. This guy even tried to hook my husband in on this. Not happy with this at all. Never ever tell someone that it will take a few minutes when you know it will take hours. At the end of the entire deal I felt mad and cheated. Cheated out of two plus hours of my time and tending to my sick child. Mad because I should not have let him in the first place. He tried the personal story, he tried the trip deal, he tried the guilt trip, he tried lowering the price. It is the same story every time. Beware. They blindside you to get in your door. I think they take up so much time so that we as the consumer will give up, get frustrated and just buy the thing in order to get them out of our homes.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2014

My mom is out gardening in the back while I'm (female, 18yrs old) in the house & suddenly hear a knock on the door. I open it to see a tall, maybe late 20's, man with a bottle of laundry detergent. I saw his eyes glance at me up & down... super awkward. Then he (let's name him "Bob") says with a smile, "Hi, we were in the neighborhood today & we are handing out free laundry detergents. Would you like it?" I replied, "Sure." Then Bob said, "Did you have a few moments for us so that we could show a few of our products today? It won't take too long. I thought maybe he'd be showing us some new laundry detergent products & since we already got a free bottle, I said, "Sure." Then he said he needed to tell his boss & get the items so he walked back into the van parked by our mailbox.

Bob & the boss came in with a huge box, maybe 3ft tall. Right then & there, I realized I had made the mistake of letting these people in as I realized they were from Kirby. -.-' His boss got back into the van. Bob makes some small talk with me so that it's not so awkward & then asks where my parents are & right then, my mom comes back into the house from gardening. I tell her that these people are here to show us their products & she shakes her head, "Well we're not gonna buy anything... & we need to leave the house to do some errands right now." I started feeling bad for Bob & as he realized we had to leave home, he ran back outside to tell his boss. At that moment, the boss was backing out of our driveway & started driving down the road already. Bob quietly curses & asks to use our phone. He calls the boss & says, "Hey, the mom is leaving right now. (Silence) Yeah, she's leaving right now" & hangs up.

I guess they knew they couldn't make any $ out of me since I was just a teenager. Lol. Anyways, Bob seemed like a decent person so I did apologize again & he assured me that it was all right & that he'd already earned some commission just letting him into our house. His boss turned the car around & Bob was taking the Kirby vacuum back into the car. Right before leaving though, he asked for the free bottle of laundry detergent back. I said sure & handed it back. Good thing my mom came to the rescue or else we would've had to listen & watch them clean our house for hours. I do give them a 2 star rating only because back when I was a child, around 6-7yrs old, I remember them coming into the house where they vacuumed our entire carpet, leaving the white patches of dirt on it. My mom told them over and over again that we couldn't afford the Kirby vacuum, & the manager left pretty mad. They just couldn't take No for an answer & although I do understand that this is their job, they don't need to be so extremely pressuring about it.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2014

It's amazing that Kirby has been running this racket for two decades and the stories are identical to my experiences. First off, as a kid in about 6th grade I remember these people coming over my house. I chuckled at the little circle things and remember leaving to go play with a friend. About 3 hours later my sister came to get me and said we were heading out. I was caught off guard but it turned out it was my mom's way of getting these crackpots out of our home.

Fast forward years later to when I'm 19 years old (I'm now 37). At 19 I responded to an ad that guaranteed $400 per week for setting up and displaying a product. The headline was something to the effect of "marketing career". I call up and they ask me if I could set up and display products. Sounded easy enough. And for $400 per week, at 19, it sounded great. I go for the interview and was in for a few minutes. It was a sad scene with grown men and woman clearly in need of employment. I was told I'd be called back later with a final decision. I was thrilled when I was called and they told me I was hired. I remember excitingly telling my mother that I would be making $400 per week just setting up and displaying products. She asked me what kind of products. I paused and realized that after a brief interview and a 40-minute video about Warren Buffet, I had absolutely no freaking idea what I would be setting up and displaying in this new marketing endeavor. Who cares? 400 dollars per week at 19 years old is huge!!!

I get to the first day of training after hitting up Sears for some new pants and neckties. Although young, I was intelligent, and after 3 minutes of training I would be doing more than "setting up and displaying" this vacuum. I instantly had flashbacks to when they visited my home. Now it was my turn to scam them. I figured I'd stick it out for two weeks and get the $400 per week I was guaranteed for a total of $800. I went on a few sales trips with different sales people and the experiences shared here are identical to what was occurring those days in 1998.

Although the sales people were mostly in their early 20s, a few years older than me, they were dumber than a 10-year-old and all believed they would be running their own shop someday and become millionaires selling Kirbys. While they were busy fawning the owner whose office was filled with sports memorabilia with obviously phony signatures, I was busy maintaining a 4.0 GPA while going to college at night at a major university duping these people for $800.

One day they told me I was ready to go out on my own. I'd have to "practice" on a friend or family member and hen have the friend or family member call them just to "verify" that I did it. I go to my friend's house and convey this whole story. We are just cracking up at the losers who think they can make a living. It's about 8 at night and I tell him he now has to call and pretend I did a presentation (at this point we are a little buzzed). I was mortified when I found out that what was supposed to be a practice session was really a sales pitch. I still laugh to this day when I remember my friend muting the phone and yelling, "this ** is trying to sell me a $3,000 vacuum cleaner!!!" However, the funniest part - he was a wealthy kid and bought the damn vacuum cleaner in his credit card!!! He's a successful attorney now.

I now have two days left to play along before I quit on Friday and collect my $800. I did go to a few houses and perform the free carpet cleaning and actually did the pitch In a weak way. I was supposed to use their phone to call my boss so they could merely "verify that I was there". I told the person they were actually talking to a salesman who would try to sell this piece of junk. I told them to tell the person they weren't interested and to just hang up.

I quit at the end of the day and collected my $800. I walked by a meeting room and told all the misfits they were nuts if they thought they would make a living doing this. The owner got mad and threatened to remove me if I didn't leave ASAP. I begged him to touch me and walked out on my own. Because of my current successes, I can look back and laugh. However, these ads are still out and I feel bad for the people who (1) respond thinking they can make a real living and waste a few days until they realize it's a joke, (2) those who stick it out longer, and (3) the people at home who let these people in under the guise of a free carpet cleaning and waste 3 hours with these vultures.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2014

I purchased a Kirby vacuum for the second time. I believe the motor went out on the first one and I either forgot the rebuild promise or it was not in existence then... I believe that was over 30 years ago. My biggest complaint is that the vacuum is very very heavy. So, if you think you might take your sweeper outside to sweep the car, think again... It is really heavy to lug around. And cleaning the mattress... very difficult because it is so heavy. It was all I could do to drag it back and forth on the mattress... Forget easily guiding it across. I don't know if it cleaned it well or not.. Who would know? I doubt I would do it very often. I wish I had refused to give them my other sweeper because now I don't have something to easily clean my car with and I am not about to buy another sweeper to just do the car.

It was interesting about the price too. They started out at over $2400 and I finally took the offer at $1000. Now how can that be and they still make money? The answer is, they still did make money. There is evidently a huge markup on the thing. I almost returned it after the 3-day period but decided to keep it. Am I glad I did? I don't know for sure. It does seem to clean the floors pretty well even when I forget to engage the belt...oops.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2014

I bought a Kirby 6 months ago (or close to). I have a Dyson (which I love!) and thought that it may be worth it to purchase "the best". It wasn't. I hate the vacuum and wish I had never wasted so much money. I even waited to express my opinion until after moving just in case our carpet or tile were just a pain. It seems that no matter the flooring the Kirby doesn't want to suck anything on the surface. I can now clearly see why Kirby representatives use our good vacuum first. It may pick up the deep down dirt, but I have no time or patience as a mom/wife/teacher to sweat putting the vacuum together after already cleaning the floor with another vacuum. I will continue to express my opinion in the hopes that no one will ever make the same mistake I did. Save your money and your sanity!

Original review: Jan. 14, 2014

I must have been hypnotized. To think that a vacuum can cost $2800 is insane. I was shown demo after demo how the Kirby vac can remove deep down dirt from carpet. What I didn't realize is that the dirt was never completely removed after several tries. I was given a receipt for $1800.00 on 36 month payment plan. I did not take the time to check to total ($78.00.36 = $2808). The finance charge should be included in the original quote. Is it the finance company or Kirby? I will be reporting to the Attorney General to see what he will do. Please folks beware of Kirby Sales. They are the best scammers in the world. I take the blame for being so stupid to fall for such a scam. I must add - the vacuum is not better, only much heavier than most. I was given a trade in value of $50-100 for my older model. I will never buy another Kirby.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2014

This whole operation was not normal at all. A man was left at my door with this machine and of course I let him in where he stayed for the next two hours :/ WOW. I told the guy at the very beginning that there was no way that I was buying, but he went into this long and drawn out demo all the while answering "business" calls. He had little white circles all over the place. He even went to the bedroom where he showed me how horrible of a disaster my bed was and kept saying that it surely did not matter to him if I bought the thing or not, all he wanted was $25 for doing the demonstration. Whatever.

I let him do the demo and as I said it took about two hours and some goofy "manager" came over talking the price down and saying that this was an extremely good price and blah, blah, blah. I stuck with my no and then they acted annoyed and angry! The so called manager left AGAIN!? And FINALLY came back to get this guy out of my house. WTH kind of operation is this?!?!?! No people. Please do not let yourselves get scammed into this madness.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2014

More or less talked into buying this cleaner especially when the demo is so convincing and they want you to make the decision on the spot. This is the worst vacuum cleaner ever - heavy and bad for my back, attachments are a pain to use. Service in Australia is non existent. Rang a number in Brisbane a few times about a complimentary service, no one ever showed or rang back. Parts are expensive. Wish I could sell it. Had it for about 5 years now, so it's not worth a pinch of **... Posted a complaint the first week I had it and no response from Kirby at all.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2014

Me and my fiance just moved to Phoenix. We looked on Craigslist for jobs and saw one that said "$2000 month, no experience needed. Interview today, just call." So I call and a lady told us the company. It's called Kairose. I specifically asked what kind of job it is because I don't care to do sales. She assured me it wasn't sales so we set up an interview, fill out info and boom, she said we were hired. I asked what it is we will be assigned to, she says the Kirby. I'm like wth is a Kirby. Then she goes, "We will go into further details during training."

So I'm skeptical but desperate for work, go to training and it's sales..... One, she lied about the name; two, everything was written on script... Let me sum it up. A guy gets up there telling his personal life then trips and awards the exact way you have all heard it. The next day, they teach you how to put a vacuum together. Today, we learned how to scam. In other words, no it's not an answer. So a few mins ago, my fiance and I google Kirby reviews and found this. I'm reporting Kirby. It's a false advertisement, a scam. Not only that but everything is a script on paper. I still have it for evidence.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2014

The salesman just wouldn't give up! My husband & I felt sorry enough for the young man doing the demo, that we caved in & bought the stupid Kirby! I HATE IT! The salesman said "women" designed this one & afterwards, I thought about it & decided NO WOMAN in her right mind would design such a stupid vacuum! No on-board attachments...have to take the damn thing apart to put attachments on! WAY TOO MUCH OF A HASSLE!! They're just as heavy as I remember them being! I would LOVE to "unload" this thing, but no one would pay for it! I would pay one cent for another Kirby! EVER!! Don't waste your money! I wish I had my bagless Hoover back!! Do yourself a favor & buy ANY vacuum besides a Kirby!! I wish we had never bought one! I pity anyone who gets "suckered" into it as we did. I truly felt pushed into it!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2014

I had a salesman come to my door today, stating he was giving "free carpet cleaning". Who doesn't want that?! Not thinking I let him in, he said he had to tell his manager and he'd be back in a few minutes. So the 2 men came in and the "manager" introduced himself then left and said he'd be back. The original guy, let's call him Jim, continued with his demonstration asking me how often I vacuum and asked me to bring it out. He used these white circular pads to show me all the dirt, (wow made me feel dirty). He then began to walk over to my bedroom, without asking, and started vacuuming my mattress showing me on the black pads how dirty it was. He then told me that for $1000 down and only $349 a month I could own a Kirby.

First of all my cat payment isn't that much, why would I pay that for a vacuum? He then asked to use my phone since he had "no service" and called his boss to lower the price. Boss man lowered it to $0 down, no payments for 3 mos, and only $185/m. Still too pricey for me. At this point I made my mind up that I'm not buying this thing. His attitude does change a little, he doesn't become rude but he does try to make me feel guilty. Luckily for me I don't usually feel pressured. He begins vacuuming the living room and piling the white pads all over the kitchen floor! His manager will be counting the pads to make sure he actually worked. (Really??) He then asks to call his manager so they could shampoo the carpet.

The manager was a different guy, and he had to have been the pushiest sales man ever! Telling me, who cares what my husband thinks or who can't afford $2 a day? He should have stayed home, he definitely made me not want to buy it. Then he said, "Fine, I'll give it to you dirt cheap, I'm not making money and Jim won't be getting any commission". He gave me such a low quote who wouldn't want to buy it?! Me! I told him, "No, and nothing would change my mind." He must have gotten frustrated because he said, "You'll never own a Kirby for this price with that attitude." And walked out the door. Poor Jim was left to clean my carpet in silence. He tried to talk me into it a little bit more

And shared some personal stories with me (not sure how true they were). Then finally he was ready to leave. He used my phone one last time to call his manager, (where did he go?) and said goodbye and handed me a card. He waited outside for about another 30 mins before his manager came back. Now Jim left around 530pm.. At 0930 & 1115 I got calls from his manager (ignored of course). Finally he texted me stating, "Call me". Pretending not to know who he was I simply texted back, "Who's this". And I got "Wrong person". I'm not really sure what to think of this presentation. I hate pushy salesmen. Being the paranoid person I am, I began to think if this was a scam (I'm going to come home to any empty house) or if Jim was simply much nicer than his boss and manager. I did call the boss with a restricted number and he did answer. Anyone else have a weird situation with these gigs?

Original review: Jan. 1, 2014

I hate Kirby that all I got to say is not worth my money at all. Especially, I hate the seller. She force me to buy and she stole my good vacuum to trade over this ** to make me buy it. So hate Kirby employee in Saint Paul, Minnesota.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2013

On Dec. 13th, Friday evening, a Kirby salesman talks my 82 year old mother into buying a $1,900.00 vacuum. They would not take no for a answer. When I got home, she told me what happened. She was so upset and started to cry. I called the very next morning and canceled the order and told them my mom could not afford it. I told them absolutely not to charge her credit card and he said I had hurt his feelings because he wouldn't do that. They said they would come by and pick it up the following Thursday and return her vacuum.

Guess what? When they returned, they would not take the vacuum back even though my mom repeatedly asked them to. They conveniently forgot her vacuum that they had taken and insisted on coming back to demonstrate the vacuum for me. And the credit card, you guessed it. I got back from vacation and they had charged her card for the vacuum. I am so angry. They lied, they bullied my elderly mother, and they refused to take no for an answer. I contacted mom's credit company and they are helping to remove the charges. My advice, don't let them in the door.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners Company Information