2. Homeowners

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners Reviews

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.04/5

Quit paying for costly home repairs

For nearly one-hundred years, The Kirby Company has manufactured superior, American-made home cleaning systems. Kirby does not sell directly to the public but continues a long tradition of distributing its home cleaning systems through independent distributors, who are responsible for running their own businesses. Over the years, this distribution system has afforded thousands of men and women the opportunity to live the American dream of owning and operating their own businesses.

Experience has taught us that customers prefer to try our premium cleaning systems in their own homes before purchasing. Customer satisfaction is our top priority. If customers have any questions or concerns regarding the in-home demonstrations of Kirby cleaning systems or the cleaning systems themselves, please email us at consumer@kirbywhq.com, or call us at 800-494-8586, Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., EST.

View More View More

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners Reviews

Original review: April 29, 2013

I got tricked the same way as everyone did (the young kid and the vacation, free carpet clean and also the lie). Before this, he said he didn't sell vacuums, just vacuum products which at the time was all I needed. I'm really angry especially when I caught up with their game of price inflation to make you think that you are getting a great deal by saying for example, "I'll give you a 1000-dollar credit if you buy the vacuum," and I asked, "How much is the Kirby?" He said $2800. It probably cost $1800 but just to make it a great deal, he added the 1000 that doesn't even exist. But the biggest bastards are the corporate of the company that know what's going on but turn their heads the other way because they are "independent contractors". Screw Kirby and their salesmen.

Original review: April 25, 2013

A young man came to give me a free, non-toxic cleaning spray called Method. He said that it was so they can plug their new product. He asked if he can come back to do a demo. If he does a demo, he gets paid $35 for his time. I agreed and he vacuumed a couple areas to show me what kind of dirt the Kirby vacuum was able to pick up. Ten minutes later, there was another knock at the door and he said it was his manager checking in on him. They asked for my opinion and I told them I didn't care too much for vacuums. I like that it was a good vacuum, but I wasn't interested in purchasing one. They were very nice and thanked me for my time.

Tips: If you are in the market for a Kirby vacuum, then go for it. Let them demonstrate, but be firm. You don't have to buy it.

Cons: It does take up your time so be aware of that.

Original review: April 23, 2013

I was talked into buying this product because the salesman made it look so simple and easy. Don't fall for the trick. There is nothing at all practical about this vacuum cleaner nor use in the everyday home. The maneuverability is awful. It has to be taken completely apart and reassembled just to add attachments. The suction is nothing like advertised. When it is demo-ed, they do not install a bag on it due to "health reasons," but instead use a small filter attachment. The suction is great this way because it doesn't have to travel into a bag. Add the bag and you lose a considerable amount of suction. I was also given a scratched up demo model that was supposed to be new.

If you're smart, you will not buy this product. Don't fall for the same scam that I did. Now I'm stuck with a $1,800 piece of junk that will sit in the closet and collect dust! Very, very, very disappointed with the Kirby name! I was lied to from the start about their office and where they were located. Come to find out the office is now located in Puerto Rico. I have called and called trying to talk with these people and can get no help. The owner of the company will not even talk to me and they won't give me numbers for their other office. The name of the company is Mid South Sales.

Original review: April 19, 2013

I have three days to return the one I paid $1,100.00 for! I am angrier after reading all these complaints. What a scam and a waste of hard earned money! I can't stand all the attachments anyway! God made dirt and dirt doesn't hurt!

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hello Heather,

The Kirby Company encourages anyone with comments or concerns to contact us directly to discuss them by either emailing to consumer@kirbywhq.com or calling 1-800-494-8586 Mn-Fri 8am to 5pm est.

Original review: April 15, 2013

My parents live on a very limited income. The young sales couple came to their house in Aug. 2012 to sell them a vacuum for $3600. My 82-year-old mom was told that she deserved a new vacuum, even though they had two used cars that they did not spend $3600 for together. We finally ran the salesman and wife off and they took back the unpaid for vacuum but guess what? They showed up recently and sold them again the same vacuum. The sales people were told to stay away from parents, but because they knew my elderly parents, they were manipulative, showing up even at 9 pm at night and selling them the vacuum. Now this "nice couple" is telling other neighbors in Glenn County, "Well, the ** down the street bought one of our vacuums." I cannot say enough about these thieves! I am reporting them to elder abuse immediately for abusing my elderly parents.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response
        Hello Ba,

The Kirby Company takes all complaints seriously and apologizes for the conduct of the distributorship’s representative with your mother. We do not condone any inappropriate behavior by our independent distributors and/or their dealers. Although the relationship between The Kirby Company and its distributorships is that of vendor/vendee, we expect the distributors to conduct themselves and their businesses in professional manners.

Please contact us directly to discuss your comments by either emailing us at consumer@kirbywhq.com or calling 1-800-494-8586 Mon-Fri 8am to 5pm est.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kirby?

Original review: April 12, 2013

The sales guys were very nice. However, this guy came to my door around dinner time and didn't really let me know what was going on. He offered me a free cleaning product (which was very nice), but never mentioned a sweeper. He gave me this product and said to hold on, ran to this van, came back with all these boxes, and kind of barged into my home without asking. He came in, started unpacking this box, and asked me if I have ever heard of Kirby before. I said no and then he was here for about 2 hours. He took a tool from my other vacuum, which I totally use all the time. I'd like to call him back and ask for this tool back, but after reading everyone's reviews, I'm kind of scared too. I already felt like my home was invaded by this stranger, who really was a very nice man but awkward and little rude. He said he got paid for just coming in so I started to feel better about just letting him talk it up, knowing that it was way out of my price range. Honestly, I just kind of ignored him. I started doing my dishes and making dinner. Then, his ride came and he was gone. Nobody can make you buy anything. Just keep making up excuses like they do. I'm just glad he's gone! What a weird day.

Original review: April 10, 2013

I used to work for them in the UK. I was unemployed and looking for any work (I did not know I was selling Kirby until 2 days into the week's training). Out of the 10 people that went for the job, 10 people were successful. Then we had to do 15 sales pitches before we got $150 wages. If we sold some, we would get $50 for every one we sold. The Kirby itself is a very good cleaner. However, we were told not to spend more than 1 hour in a house and do not "sell" them anything. That was not my job. I went to my mother's to do some "practice selling". I did all my spiel. I had to phone the office so they could review me. I handed the phone to my mother. Even though she was on welfare, she was pressured into getting one. I told her not to as if I was selling them, she could use mine. At the end of the month payday, I did 34 demos in 4 weeks expecting at least $450. I got 0. I didn't do 10 a week for 4 weeks so I didn't get paid and as I sold 0, I got no commission. That's one month's work and no sales ** (well the cleaner is a good cleaner but the company is pants).

Original review: April 9, 2013

Very rude and pushy. My 94-year-old mother-in-law just came home from the hospital. The women insisted on coming inside the house and unpacking. My mother-in-law called me. I went to her house to make sure they left. I don't know why you tell your people to invade someone’s home. Have you ever heard that no means no!

Original review: April 9, 2013

On March 13, 2013, I got suckered into buying a Kirby for $2,800! Not only that, my carpet shampooer was used and all wet. I never even got carpet shampoo. When I took the Kirby apart to clean, I noticed some of the parts on it were manufactured in 2003. I sent in my cancel request. The salesman called me telling me it is my responsibility to drive 4 hours round trip to return the vac. Untrue. I called the man back later to see when he was able to pick it up. He told me not to call him again and they would be picking them up at end of month. They never came. April 6 at 5pm at night, I got a phone call saying they wanted to pick up that day or the next. This was the first attempt to pick up the vac. I was not home. I got a rude message the following Monday saying they have been trying to pick up. They plan to pick it up Thursday. I hope they do because I’m tired of dealing with them. Don’t fall for their scam.

Original review: April 9, 2013

The vacuum is decent. All the attachments can be very useful. Granted we don't use all of them regularly, but they are nice to have handy. Right now my biggest complaint is that when they are selling you this thing, they tell you if you have any problems and they will take care of you. If you need any parts, they will provide them free of charge. We've had ours about a year now and have had to replace the belt twice. We don't use it any more than about once or twice a week. We have friends that also had similar problem. Three times someone came to our door to try and sell us another Kirby and when we told them we already had one but needed a belt, they said, “Okay, let me go get one from the truck,” and never came back, three times! When I called the number, they said we would have to go to the store to buy one.

My advice, if you really want one and have the money just to spend for it, go ahead. But if you are weary... there's a sucker born every minute (that's how these guys stay so prominent in business). Don't be that sucker.

Original review: April 5, 2013

The salesman came to my house while I was babysitting and I was completely overwhelmed at the time. He gave his sales pitch and fell for it. I haven't even had it for a year and it's broken. The off/on switch no longer works and I still owe almost $2,000.00. The shampooer attachment doesn't work either and there is no attachment for that at all. He took my other vacuum and shampooer as trade-in. Now I wish I had them back. At least they worked!

Original review: March 27, 2013

At 10am, a man showed up at my door and said he was doing a free contest to win a $1,000 gas card. I filled out the card and he told me that he would clean my carpet for free if I just gave him feedback. It would only take 15 minutes; I said sure. He left and came back with another man who carried all this stuff into my home. The guy introduced himself as the guy’s team leader and said he was going to clean my carpet and left. The sales guy used my bathroom. The guy used the white paper filters to show me how much dirt he was finding and had them laid out all over my living room floor. He used my vacuum to clean an area on my rug then used the Kirby to show me what it missed. He tossed my vacuum off to the side. I thought he broke it.

He asked me what part of the house I thought was always missed when cleaning. I told him I didn't know. He started wandering around my house. He let himself into my bedroom and began cleaning my mattress. He gave me this speech on how the dust mites in my mattress could cause my daughter to have asthma and basically told me my house was dirty; made me feel like crap. He handed me the paper with the price and I told him that I could not afford that. He made several calls to his boss to negotiate the price for me. His team leader showed up and told me he had a deal for me. An older lady went to a nursing home and she owed on hers. I would get a new Kirby and I would only have to pay what she owed - $1,100. I told him we could not afford it. He cleaned some more and kept trying to talk me into it. My 8 month old daughter wanted to get down and play but couldn't because this guy had all these stupid paper filters all over the place.

When my husband got home from work, he started his spiel on him. He had to wait for his ride to come get him. We fell for it and went for the deal. What was supposed to be a 15 minute cleaning turned into 6 hours. I cannot believe I fell for that. I felt like I needed it since he told me it was for my daughter's health. I did some research when he left. I called Kirby the next day and told them to take it back. I felt scammed. They lied to us. I know there was no old lady going to a nursing home and we could take over her payments to get a new one. Boy I will never let that happen again. Do not let them into your home.

Original review: March 24, 2013

She is 84 years old and they came to her house and sold her a vacuum for $2,200.00! Really, Kirby is your company that in desperate need that they take advantage of the elderly! Whether she had the money or not, he should have known that she wasn't even strong enough to push the vacuum around the house, let alone change out attachments, etc. I use to think that you guys had a good sweeper but due to what you did to my grandmother, I have let everyone know what they did and how greedy your company and salespeople are!

Original review: March 21, 2013

If another one of your pushy door-to-door salesmen come to my house again and take up four hours of my pregnant wife's time again, I'm telling you right now, it doesn't make a gnat's ** worth of difference what your salesmen have been told to do; taking up 4 hours of my wife's time inside my home is unacceptable. She was not interested in your product and repeatedly expressed this. Your guy was blatantly intrusive and crossed the line. And as the husband and father in my home who is trying to provide and protect my family, I take personal offense by this and will not allow this type of incident to happen to my good wife, who is very upset by this, or anyone in my community again. I got a phone call at work after this was over; my wife was in tears out of frustration. I can't believe this!

Original review: March 21, 2013

Back in 2001, I was downstairs starting laundry and when I came upstairs, there was this young woman in my living room. Here my husband had gone to the bathroom, the doorbell rang and my 5-yearold opened the door! Of course, it was the same song and dance that everyone is writing about. My 6-month-old son woke up from his nap and she said that since he is crawling around on the floor, I need to have a clean house, blah, blah, blah. She said that she needed one more sale and then she would win a trip to Cancun or something like that. It was high pressure selling. But I had just vacuumed earlier that day and I could not believe what she pulled out of my carpet! It started off at $1900 (remember this was 2001) and I said, "No way." We have two young children and I worked part time since the kids were little. Well, after about 20 minutes, she was down to $800. And yes, we bought it with 12 months interest free if we pay it off. We paid it off and did not have to pay finance charges.

Today is March 21, 2013 and I must say I still have my Kirby and it works great! I have services about every three years for about $30. My complaints are it's so freaking heavy and a pain in the ass to go from sweeping floor to using hose attachment.

We bought another house a few years back and I decided instead of lugging the heavy Kirby up and down the stairs, I would buy a second vacuum and keep one upstairs, and one downstairs. I spent $250 on a vacuum that has the canister you empty, instead of a bag like the Kirby uses. Well, it sucks! While it picks up bigger things, it has sucky suction power and I end up pretty much keeping the second vacuum in the garage for cleaning the cars out.

I am disgusted with the selling techniques of Kirby and how they BS on the price. I will never let one of those salesmen in again being that the company has poor practices. But in the same token, 13 year later, I am still using the same Kirby and the only repair I needed was about 2 years ago (the vacuum would have been 10 years old). I had to have a new wheel put on for $45. Obviously, while they had sales tactics back in 2001, it seems the tactics are more aggressive now.

Original review: March 19, 2013

A young woman came to the door saying she would shampoo a room of carpet or a piece of furniture at no cost to "get credit". She did not give the name of the company. When I declined, she pushed her way in and a young man appeared out of nowhere and she ran with no explanation. The man had a number of large Kirby boxes, which he began unpacking. I told him I wasn't interested as I already own a Kirby. He wouldn't leave no matter what I said - just keeping on with his "demonstration". He was rude, impolite, and very unprofessional. He finally left when I threatened to call the police and didn’t bother to clean up the mess he made in my home.

Original review: March 19, 2013

Shampooer Comparison between the Kirby Sentria II and the Hoover SteamVac with Clean Surge model F5914900: Hoover easily out cleans and outperforms the Kirby on very dirty carpet. Hoover requires more water, and thus is less green. Hoover requires more trips to fill up the dispensing tank and to empty the collecting tank. Hoover is very efficient and effective for spot cleaning. Hoover is a 3-step process: (1) fill the dispenser; (2) shampoo the carpet; (3) empty the collector tank and fill dispenser tank.

Kirby cleans well on low dirt/low traffic areas. Kirby requires more time generally for spot cleaning or room shampooing because of the wait time. Kirby is a 4-step process: (1) fill dispenser tank; (2) shampoo the carpet (apply the foam); (3) wait till the foam dries; (4) turn the switch to ‘Off’ then vacuum the dried foam. From the demo, the Kirby appeared easy to use because it required less water (less trips to dump and fill tanks), but when we consider wait time, the Hoover requires less time to complete the same job.

Shampooer Comparison Conclusion: Having both the Kirby and the Hoover at home, there's less than 1% chance that I will ever use the Kirby to shampoo the carpet or spot clean. Hoover wins on performance, value, and ease of use/convenience. However, I will try out the Kirby shampooer one more time to be fair.

Vacuum Comparison between the Kirby Sentria II and the Sears Kenmore Progressive Canister Vacuum Model 21514: Kirby suction is far greater. Kirby is slightly louder (not an issue). Kirby bag is easy to remove and install. Kirby's drive feature is strategic and offsets the weight difference. Good. It cannot vacuum under sofas or beds. Advantage Kenmore.

Kenmore is slightly quieter. Kenmore is easier to add attachments, more inclined to use on stairs, sofas, and different applications. Kenmore canister bag is easy to remove and install. Kenmore suction is very good, perhaps not as strong as the Kirby. It’s very lightweight, easy to drag around. Both machines visibly do a good job.

Vacuum Comparison Conclusion: Kirby wins in Performance. Kenmore wins in Value. Kenmore wins in ease of use/convenience.

Overall: In the end, to me, the Kirby Sentria II at $1,200 is not worth the extra money. From a performance, ease of use, and value standpoint, owning the Hoover SteamVac with Clean Surge Carpet Cleaner Model Number F59 14900 at $148.73 and Kenmore Progressive Canister Vacuum Model 21514 at $192.59 tandem (I paid sub $350 for both) gets the nod over the Kirby, despite the Kirby's superior vacuuming performance. (Keep in mind the Kenmore Progressive is no slouch and vacuums up better than 90% of the vacuums on the market). The Kirby Sentria II shampooer is eventually what sold us (closed the deal) as we felt the Kirby name would make it an effective shampooer. This was not the case. So, as it turned out, we have a very competent $1,200 vacuum, and expect long-term performance (+15 years we hope), but might struggle with chores that require the attachments.

Kirby Sales Tactics: The sales guy’s starting price for the machine was around $2,500. He then added that if I threw in my vacuum and carpet cleaner, he would give me a "credit" towards a discount. So the $2,500 went down to around $1700. I suppose that's a way of getting the client to feel good about paying a very high price for the machine? By getting some money back on the vacuum and carpet cleaner that I already bought I suppose? I'm not sure. Of course, I felt that was still overpriced, and I was not sure what a reasonable price was. (Don't ask me why I just didn't google it.) All I know is that I didn't want to spend that much. Still, when he was convinced that I would not pay the $1,700, he dropped the price to "his cost". So I paid $1,178 for it. I was a sucker, and things went by so fast, and I was dumb for not demanding to keep both my machines. But somehow I negotiated with him and kept my Hoover carpet cleaner but not the Kenmore Progressive vacuum.

Something I didn't catch on: The sales guy turned my Kenmore Progressive upside down and hand fed small pieces of paper to the wand to demonstrate that little flow happens at the outer ends of the wand. Unfortunately for me, I wasn't sharp enough to catch on to that when the wand is lying upside down, suction decreases because of the open space. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong, please.) But when the wand is flat on the floor, suction is stronger because more of the wand openings are blocked by virtue of it lying on the carpet. Shoot, he got me there!

I'm typically not one to rush to decisions. But this time I took my chances, because of the Kirby name, and I initially felt good about my decision. I learned a touch lesson. There's a reason we shouldn't decide on spending $1,200 on something we know very little about. I am sharing my experience. This is not a complaint.

Original review: March 17, 2013

I used to be a salesman for Kirby. Kirby is a bunch of ** that the owner manipulates you as a salesman and also the customers. I used to work for them for 5 months so I can tell you all their secrets, how much they make, etc. But first, I'm going to start my story on how I was introduced and how I got involved.

First, there was an ad about jobs online saying, "Office Work, $500 a week. No experience necessary! For immediate interview!" They gave the address to where it is, so I went to apply. Now that is where the manager sucks in more customers, using the applicants to suck their family and friends into buying a Kirby because of mutual relationships and make them write down referrals to show more demos to their family/friends.

After I got the interview, I went home. They called me and everyone else that was there that we got the job and to show up tomorrow for an orientation at 8:00 AM dressed up with a shirt and tie. As I showed up, they first talked about how much money I could make, without telling us what product they were selling, but how much I could make if I made a sale.

Here's what they wrote on the chart before and after they told me they were selling Kirbys. Sunday - Saturday: there must be 15 appointments/demo = $500 (this never happens cause they would only assign you 10 referral demos and any demo you do on your own doesn't count). The supposed Kirby price is $2,800-$3,200. A Kirby sold under $1,200 ($600 lowest) = $50 commission. A Kirby sold over $1,200 = pocket money that's sold over $1,200. For example, I sold a Kirby for $2000, but since I sold it for over $1,200, I pocket $800 in profit. The monthly bonus sales for Kirby sold over $1,200: a) 2 x Kirby = $50 bonus; b) 3 x Kirby = $75 bonus; c) 4 x Kirby = $150 bonus; d) 5 x Kirby = $300 bonus; e) 6 x Kirby = $600 bonus, and so on. Kirby Manufacturing Company: Cost to make Kirby: $75. The distribution manager buys it for $300 (potential profit $300-$900 per sale).

Now here's the thing with the manager; he sucks you in to show demos to your family and friends to try to make a sale and tells you that you cannot leave without getting at least 3 referrals. The manager will manipulate the salesman that he can become as rich as him/her, but it's all ** because once the manager stops getting referrals, they will move to another area or state, and hire new salesmen to repeat their suck-in process.

The so-called sales tactics: When knocking on the door, greet, use sales pitch, and try to get in somehow by stepping in and/or ask to put the equipment inside the house next to the door. The sales pitch always has to be involved with free cleaning. Never tell them the price of the Kirby when asked during the demo. Show them why their vacuum is useless (lots of ways for this). Always compliment about their possessions, like expensive, fancy things. Always keep a conversation going, and never ask to go to a room where you want to show your next demo at. Always lead and tell them to follow, and so on.

Things to know: Van crew - they suck at selling and are usually pushy, new salesmen for Kirby. They drive around and go door to door for 8-12 hours. Salesmen that drive their own cars are usually experienced salesmen but can still be pushy. The Kirby that all salesmen use are used at other houses. That can be very disgusting, and people don't want things used at other houses to be brought to your home and be used. All Kirbys are used and cleaned like new, even if you buy one.

That's all I can share for now. It's taking me a while to write this, but all I can say is, I did sell some Kirby - about 5, and that was it. The job is time-consuming and a waste of time. The only person who's really making money is the manager. I would never buy a Kirby and let a Kirby salesman step into my door. They are a waste of your time and no matter what you tell them, they won't leave unless they get to the sales part. They don't care for your home, kids, or anything, but selling that vacuum. You're really looking at a $75 vacuum that's overpriced. When you're buying it, it's like you paid for the demo, cleaning, and their time. Just get straight to the chase when you see a salesman and tell them to ** off!

Original review: March 17, 2013

After spending $2,000 on a Kirby, I find it the most difficult vacuum cleaner to use and I have had many. I have a split level home with carpeted stairs. By the time I pull this heavy machine around and switch the head to hose for stairs, I'm tired from dragging it around and I actually let them convince me to trade in my Dyson for a better deal. It cleans dog hair reasonably well but not worth all the effort needed.

Original review: March 13, 2013

I saw an office position on Craigslist for office work under general labor. I went and he hired me. Orientation came and I found out it’s not office work; it’s selling Kirby Vacuum Cleaners. So I stayed that day since I was curious. Well, **, the manager, is a sick pervert. He is married and flirts with you. He asks nasty pervert things and even looked up ** on his computer. This place is sick. I’m married too, and I don’t play that. I also found out that if I don’t get 60 demos, I don’t get paid. Forget this! These people are not only perverts, they are scam people. How could ** show ** to a 19-year old and do sick stuff. This place is a joke, y’all in Huntsville, AL.

Original review: March 5, 2013

I gave my Kirby Deluxe to one of your salespeople last spring to be fixed and since it was an old machine, they took it to your store in Lynhurst Drive. My machine is over 20 years old. I never had anything go wrong with it in all that time and then one day three blades broke. So when your salespeople were out in my son's address, I mentioned the problem and was assured that my Kirby would be fixed since it was a lifetime. Since then, I have called just about every other week and they say they will call me back as soon as they find it. So far, nothing is being done. I either want my old one back or get a new one. This is no way to run a business. I am very upset about how they are treating me. I want some answers from someone asap or I will go to the corp. office. Thank you.

Original review: March 4, 2013

I bought a Kirby in November 2011 and what a disappointment. Firstly, they sold me a machine that was phased out. New ones were due in SA in December. The guy I bought it from closed down in the middle of December. A new "guy"opened and closed in a month's time. Their service sucks. There is no after sales service. What do we do? It seems like we all have a problem with our Kirbys and no one seems to care. We paid for it with hard-earned money, and for what?

Original review: Feb. 20, 2013

So I came home to find a man in my house. He says, "We are going to clean your carpet for free." So I figure something was up but didn't know what. So he's showing this demonstration, asking if I have a master's degree, chatting it up with my fiancé and talking about how he needs two sales to get a scholarship with the company. He keeps talking about my TV saying how it's big and he knows we have credit, saying I have expensive bags (my work bag) so that I have the money, that I care for a clean apartment so why don't I want the vacuum. I told them the price was too much. He said that I should have asked the price from the beginning. While the whole thing seems okay, I'm not paying $1,700 plus $750 in finance for this vacuum that they say has a lifetime guarantee but it's really only a 3-year limited part guarantee.

Then they tried to sell me a used one for $500 and claimed that I could give him half now and half later and bring me the vacuum when I come up with the other half but then he has no business cards but I'm supposed to call him when I come up with the other half. Then he had the nerve to ask me for a tip! The last thing I want to do when I come home from work is sit through a 3-hour demonstration. Honestly, if this company was so reputable, they'd be in stores. He said they only sell to homeowners and old people. That's because the younger generation questions and investigates, as he mildly puts it. Then he made me feel guilty for not wanting it saying that I don't want a clean house. And the box was all beat up and the vacuum looked used. I know one thing; I'm getting reinforcements put on my door.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2013

I hooked the Kirby up to shampoo the carpet. It won't even turn on. It was only used once before to vacuum. I'm ready for you to come get it.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2013

I pulled into my driveway to find two people standing there in the cold year. They told me they were showing and trying to sell Kirby vacuum sweepers. I told them I wasn't interested, but I would let them have a cup of coffee to warm up until their guy got back. The guy came in with the vacuum. I told them once again I wasn't interested. Well, the guy and the gal left and the other guy stayed in my house. I asked and asked him to put up the sweeper (that I was not interested). He continued with showing me what it could do. I told him I did not care. I just wanted him to stop what he was doing and put the vacuum sweeper up. That guy and that gal came back to the house and he had paperwork in his hand. The only way I could get them out of my house was to buy it. Now, I'm stuck with a very heavy sweeper. That has burnt up 2 belts.

I make the payments and tell them every time how I was treated and no one seems to give a crap. They took my old vacuum sweeper. So I have to use what I have. It has cost me more than any sweeper I have ever owned. I even tried to get them to take it back. They said I was stuck with it. I felt threatened in my own home. I was the only one here at the time. I don't want this sweeper or the payment - I never did, but done it just to make them people leave. Very unsatisfied customer.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2013

So this man and pregnant lady walk in and put their stuff down. They use our vacuum, then theirs, blah, blah, blah. We ended up buying it, because my dad throws around money every chance he gets. Two months later, now it’s broken. So much for lifetime warranty.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2013

I was on the deck today cleaning the grill. I happened to look up and see my wife and 3-year-old at the front door with two men. Then, suddenly they were in the house. I figured she or my brother-in-law knew them so I paid little mind. But naturally I was curious/concerned so I went inside to see who these guys were. I specifically asked, "Are you selling anything?" and they said, "No, not at all." The 'Manager' was a very slick, fast-talking young guy. And then I said to them, "You guys are obviously selling something." Again, they were adamant about not selling anything.

I had to wash my hands from cleaning the grill and then my wife took them to the basement for a "demonstration" of the carpet cleaner. Bad move! My brother-in-law lives with us and works for Stanley Steemer. So, I figured having him watch this "demonstration" would expose any nonsense. The Manager left and the other guy started taking the vacuum pieces out, etc. He used our vacuum to clean a 5-foot area first, then used the white filters to show how much dirt remained when he used the Kirby vacuum. Pretty good.

I was very honest and told the guy there was little-to-no chance I was buying anything on the spot because it was unwise. He said he understood that and respected that. All along I am keeping a close eye on this guy because I don’t know him and I have a family to protect. My wife had to leave to get my daughter from school and called me on my cell phone. She said she saw the police talking to the "manager and three other young ladies". In our complex, no soliciting is allowed and I am happy someone called the police.

I made it super-duper clear I was not buying. I found it hilarious how his main selling point was "Isn't it worth protecting your family's health for $3-$4 a day?" I quickly realized this puppy cost more than $1,000. We discussed the Kirby vs. other vacuums, and other chitchat. But to be honest, I should have stopped the whole thing from the beginning. All-in-all the guy took about 1 hour and 45 minutes to show me the 'wonders' of the Kirby and shampooing. And as he was packing up, I saw the actual cost, $2,800. No way Jose! Not here. He called the manager who came about 15 minutes later and he left. Very nice guy, but terrible marketing for the company. I've read many reviews and concur that Kirby should open a retail store and use different selling tactics. This is a valuable lesson learned on many levels. (I left out some of the details but you get the gist.)

Original review: Feb. 11, 2013

Beware of shady Kirby Vacuum salespeople. While sitting home catching up on some recorded TV this past Saturday afternoon with my wife, our doorbell rang and some tattooed thug in a suit (and by tattooed, I mean all the way down his arm to his hands) handed me a bottle of Febreze and asked if I had received one of these. Then he said he'd be right back. The guy couldn't have been more than 20 years old. Being that I was raised in the hood (south central LA), my street instinct kicked in and I was on high alert. The guy went to a white van across the street and brought back some big box to demonstrate this vacuum. He asked if he could put it down inside.

I should have been like, "Hell naw”, but I let him set it up. Being that I live in a fairly nice size house now in the suburbs, the guy immediately starts assembling this thing and complimenting on my home décor all the while and mentioning how nice my Hummer in the driveway was. Next thing I know, another short thug in a suit that was too big came to help the first guy setup and then left along with the van. Never was I nervous because he asked what I did, and I told him I was an Investigator. Yes, law enforcement. So if he and his cronies were actually casing the joint, they might think twice knowing that. In the back of my mind, I knew they have simply seen my truck in the driveway and assumed we could afford this overpriced machine.

The guy proceeded to display the product's amazing vacuuming power to me and my wife, using a rug we have in our living room, but I cut him short and asked him point blank, "What's the price?" He tried to make a joke and said "an arm and a leg" or "he could trade it for my Hummer”. I didn't laugh! Finally, he said $2,600, and I told him he could pack it up and be on his way. No way, in hell, would I ever pay the price of a used car for a vacuum cleaner. Then he goes into being able to keep the vacuum for 50 years. I told him, “Dude, I could buy ten vacuums in a lifetime and still never spend $2,600!” Then he tried to go into a spiel about financing. Nope, I got enough bills I told him. Then he asked, “What would you pay for a good vacuum?” “$100 tops,” I said.

My wife noticed his van was gone, so we told him to call his ride back because we were about to leave. The guy had to call his ride back to pick him up. I went to get my .380 with hollow point bullets from my nightstand as he began picking up dirty filters off the floor. I wasn't sure if this was some charade just to get access to people's homes and rob them or what, but I wasn't taking any chances with my wife and two small kids in the house. The whole thing felt like they were only casing our house.

Craziest of all, the guy had the nerve to say they had driven all the way from Denver to OKC to sell vacuums door-to-door, and he makes $20 just for doing a complete presentation. Really? Do the math idiot. A group of guys rent a van and drive two states away to sell $2600 vacuums door-to-door, not a cost effective business if you ask me. I told him to drive down the street to Nichols Hills were people can actually afford $2600 vacuums. He said they had been there, but those people don’t open the doors for people like them with tattoos all over. Uh, what did you think, idiot?

When the van came back, it was a third shady looking guy in a suit, and I was really glad I had my gun in my back pocket at that point. This company really needs to screen who they allow to be independent contractors (truly, the guy looked like he belonged in a tattoo parlor) and come up with a totally different approach to selling. Having three or four different strangers coming into your house to sell/assemble/disassemble a vacuum is nuts! They are worse than used car salesmen! Don't be fooled by these guys if they come knocking on your door. My wife and I were able to find tons of complaints about Kirby Vacuum sales tactics online so beware. In total, he was in my house about 20 minutes, but I saw where some people actually sat there for up to four hours listening to these scam artists!

Original review: Feb. 9, 2013

This evening we got a knock on the door. We weren't expecting anyone so I told my husband I would see who it was from the window. Well, he headed to the door and went ahead and opened it. I was not at the door for the first half of the conversation. When I walked to the foyer, a guy was standing outside explaining some store that was opening in our town and my husband had a soft drink (our demonstration gift). He explained he wanted to show us some cleaning products. I was thinking along the lines of Melaleuca or Amway (which I already buy from) but he was already at the van pulling out boxes. I then mumbled to my husband that it was Kirby Vacuums. We are dealing with a cold so I told my husband he didn't need to come inside because of all of our germs right now.

When he came back to the door I explained we were sick and that he probably didn't need to come in and be exposed. However, he said he didn't mind one bit and just slid right past us. He started setting up the vacuum and explaining attachments and the trip he could win, all the while pausing to look at my husband’s electronics and converse about them. Then he asked where he could plug the vacuum in, after that he asked if he could plug his phone in (still not sure what that was about). He explained how good this vacuum was made and that it would be durable even with my kids around. Once the vacuum was set up he started testing it out. I was very impressed with all of the attachments and the amount of dirt and dust that was picked up (surprisingly I had vacuumed hours earlier and he still got a good amount of dirt on the white discs). He asked me to get my vacuum out, and I did because I am very proud of my vacuum and it is a reputable brand.

At first he was very personable and we small talked about brands not producing quality appliances anymore. He seemed very kind and trustworthy. He asked me if I'd heard of Kirby, which I had, and he asked me what I heard. I didn't really remember, just that they were pushy to sell and very expensive so I just told him that I just knew they were a reputable brand. He continued to clean a small area on a piece of our furniture and explained we would save so much money on furniture in the years to come by owning this vacuum. I did agree, as I explained before it really does seem to clean well. He then cleaned a few other small things I had in a pallet on our floor and explained that our bed was full of dust mites and their poop, dead skin, etc. He told us that we needed this vacuum for our kids’ health. He then got started on my current vacuum (Electrolux). He told me that Electrolux had gone bankrupt and how I wouldn't want to buy a vacuum from a company that went bankrupt.

He also explained to me that with the position of the hose being on the right side, my vacuum was "broken." I didn't fully agree and he seemed to argue back and forth with me and asked me when I would consider it broken. I told him when it quit running and wasn't fixable any longer. He continued telling me I was wrong, that my vacuum was useless to me if it wasn't getting all of the dust and dirt out of my carpet. I finally let it go, by that point as I was steaming from the ears and could no longer look at him anymore. He kept pointing out that this was best for my family and our health. When he wrote the original price of $3,299 I said that was too much. He then lowered it some, giving me more to trade in my vacuum that I paid for 4 years ago. We resisted. He then went on to say, "What if I told you my boss would do something amazing for you and you would only pay $1500?" He told us he wouldn't make any money off of it but he really wanted us to get the vacuum and help him win a trip.

We said we just couldn't afford it and he started telling us that we could afford it, and tax refunds are coming soon, no money down, no payments until March 31. We continued saying we could not afford it even still because of how close our budget already is but I did let him know when my vacuum broke down I would definitely keep Kirby in mind from the performance I had seen. My husband said he went down to $1,000 while I ran to the kitchen to pull burning French fries from the oven. Now, this was when I really became super pissed: "So what if your child had asthma or a medical issue? How would you pay for their medications?" My husband and I said in sync, "We'd figure something out." "See, you can afford it if you want to, there is no reason why you can't afford it, you can save money by staying at home more," he said. "Wouldn't you rather pay $1500 now than a full price online later?"

I explained my husband’s standpoint on buying things just because they are on sale, "Just because it's on sale doesn't mean we need it now." We stood firm with our choice that we couldn't do it. He then brought up my husband’s electronics and how since he's in the military we have money, and we get BAH and our house is probably just too expensive, that we could've gotten a cheaper house of the same livable quality for much cheaper in this area. We explained that we looked for homes in our area for 3-5 months and by no means was our house too expensive. Then my husband went into further detail on some loans we are trying to pay off and we don't want to be poor over a vacuum. (Not that we owed him a bit of explanation, we were just tired of the 2 hours of shenanigans). He seemed huffy/puffy and then went back into how my vacuum was broken and basically told me I didn't care about my kids health because here I have this horrible vacuum that leaves dust everywhere and I have the option to change that, but wouldn't.

Again, I told him it was a nice vacuum and that one day when I was in the market for a vacuum I would remember the quality and get in touch then. He flat out, rudely told me, "No, you won’t. Do you know how many people have said that since I started selling and how many have actually called me back? Three!" I looked at him dumbfounded because he once again, crossed the line. By this time he was packing up the vacuum all pissed off, probably trying to make us feel sorry for him, continually making us feel like liars and basically promoting us to go in debt so that we could keep our family healthy with the use of a vacuum cleaner. He barely said another word to us after we finalized that we would not be buying the vacuum and practically ran out the front door, leaving behind his bag. My husband stopped him and gave it to him. After that, he stood at the end of our driveway for a good 30 minutes waiting for his van to pick him up.

I have never felt so violated by someone I didn't even know. Now I've been awake all night (4:30a.m.) worried sick because of the way he was eyeing our possessions. I will be ignoring any door-knockers, unless I know them personally from now on and will be putting up a "No Solicitors" sign. I cannot believe they are trained to make you feel the way I felt when he left. It is very disturbing, and for that alone, I will Not buy from this brand, although I was considering it. Bottom Line: We feel beyond harassed!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2013

Two Kirby employees came to my door to sell the vacuum cleaner. One left and stayed away until the demonstration was over. I was not going to buy it but my teenage daughter talked me into it. She cleaned up the vacuum cleaner; she did the demonstration with me and my neighbors. I told her that I was paying too much money for them to give me a used vacuum. That was when all the trouble started. She said that deliveries come every Thursday and I could get my new one then. She asked me if I had an old trade-in model that they would give me credit of $289.00 but the contract stated that trade-in allowance was $0.00. I gave her a check for $150.00 down payment and told them to not deposit it until January 4, 2013 because I had not received the vacuum.

All of the trouble spilled over into January. They are in a building with no sign but I found the address. I returned the vacuum and a letter stating why I returned it because I was truly not satisfied with their customer service skills or the way they sell their product. I received from them another vacuum that they said that I could use but it did not work so when they brought the one that I was waiting for, they put the old one back into the plastic just like it was brand new. They are selling old vacuum cleaners pretending that they are new. They have not returned my $150.00 or my vacuum cleaner, which I asked for. When you question them or challenge them, they are quick to hang up on the customer. I returned the merchandise to them and I want them to return my deposit and my dirt devil vacuum cleaner. I cancelled the contract, and contacted the loan company and told them that I cancelled, and I do not know if they told a lie but they still have my vacuum and I want it back, and my $150.00.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners Company Information