2.62/5

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners Reviews

For nearly one-hundred years, The Kirby Company has manufactured superior, American-made home cleaning systems. Kirby does not sell directly to the public but continues a long tradition of distributing its home cleaning systems through independent distributors, who are responsible for running their own businesses. Over the years, this distribution system has afforded thousands of men and women the opportunity to live the American dream of owning and operating their own businesses.

Experience has taught us that customers prefer to try our premium cleaning systems in their own homes before purchasing. Customer satisfaction is our top priority. If customers have any questions or concerns regarding the in-home demonstrations of Kirby cleaning systems or the cleaning systems themselves, please email us at consumer@kirbywhq.com, or call us at 800-494-8586, Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., EST.

View More View More

1765 Kirby Vacuum Cleaners Consumer Reviews

Original review: Jan. 8, 2015

After a 2-hour sales pitch and my husband liking what he saw, we unfortunately bought this very large heavy pain of a vacuum! Nothing about this vacuum is simple or easy. Everything the sales ladies told us was a LIE!! I had a shark vacuum that was light and very easy-to-use. I really liked it. But being that I had just vacuumed before they came and did their demo, they made it look like it wasn't doing a good enough job and look how much their Kirby picked up. Was told the bag should last at least 6 months to a year. It didn't last a month. I hate having to take it apart just to use the attachments. It takes me forever to clean up now. A job that took an hour tops now takes 3 to 4 hrs! The carpet cleaning attachment is a joke.

My carpets looked good right after but within a couple of days it looked worse than it did before. It got none of the stains out and it took overnight to dry NOT 45 minutes to an hour like in their sales pitch. This was a scam. This vacuum cleaner is DEFINITELY NOT WORTH $100 LET ALONE $1500. Did their financing and am stuck making payments for the next 3 years. I am kicking myself for giving my vacuum cleaner and carpet cleaner to them for a discount on this pile of garbage. DO NOT BUY!!! Slam the door as soon as they say they're selling a Kirby!!! Wishing I had.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2015

I purchased a kirby vacuum about 1 year ago. I paid $1,600 for it and to this day I am just sick over paying for something I hate. It is extremely heavy and noisy. Everything about it is complicated. I had a quality vacuum before this and traded it toward the Kirby and still paid $1,600. The sales people obviously have tricks to make it look so easy and cleaner. That is absolutely not true! Please, anyone reading this do NOT buy this product.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2015

I love my Kirby. Had it so long, it outlasted my marriage...lol. Purchased it new in 1988. Somewhat pricey at the time but to this day it's very reliable. Catches all the dust too. The house don't feel clean without the Kirby. Top of the line power. Yes, I recommend Kirby.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2015

I don't know how these salespersonsites can manipulate the cleaner, but I've never got the same results and still pay. It is the hardest money I must pay. I won't try to give it away; but I will definitely throw it out.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2014

A man and woman came 2 the door. Bringing in a vacuum. They did all kind of stuff with cleaning etc.. I have never been able to use it. Your sales was fast talking and happy. He knew he had me. My husband had just passed away. The account should not be in his name. Anyway the salesman kept jumping up and kissing me on the jaw when he was happy. He made a sale from a widow.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kirby?

Original review: Dec. 25, 2014

The Kirby vacuum? What would I say about it? They are for sure only a little bit better than the average or worse vacuums out there on the market. For sure, they could not compete with the newer models of the reputed companies, such as Dyson, Hoover, etc, that you can grab them easily at Walmart, Costco, and Amazon for the better deals and return policies. However, if you are a big fan of the Kirby. Do the world a favor and do not buy them from a company or distributor called EGA Marketing. The company's owner Adrian Medina and his associates will fondle with your private times while employing harassing tactics to force you into purchase with no return nor guarantees. The machine is about $150-$200 in cost and they are about to sell you for the high 3 digits. Do yourself and your family a favor, ask the salesmen who sent them here and avoid the E - G - A at all costs. Sincerely, Previous employee.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2014

A Kirby salesman from New Jersey Easy Vac, 1416 Stuyvesant Ave. Union, NJ 07083 908-686-0087 and 201-892-2067 came to my front door to sell me at the time what I thought was a brand new Kirby Sentria. I was sold before he came to my front door because I grew up using Kirby vacs and they work fabulous for me. I happily upgraded my old Kirby G-6 for the new Kirby Sentria. The salesman took my old Kirby G-6, wrote into the bill of sales that I have a lifetime maintenance agreement on all parts of my new Kirby Sentria. I paid him $1999.00 after what he told me a discount of $701.00 savings for trading in my old Kirby G-6. I was assured by the salesman that a "lifetime maintenance" on the new Kirby Sentria is something new that Kirby does for lifetime customers like myself.

Six months into using my new Kirby Sentria, it broke. It would not move automatically and I could not push it. I took it to the N.J. Easy Vac Kirby Shop. He fixed it and three months later, my new Kirby Sentria broke again. It would not start. I took it back and he fixed it. After a year of having my new Kirby Sentria, it broke for the third time. The handle came out and it would not automatically move so I went back to the shop. It was closed and out of business with no notice left where to find the shop owner. Even the telephone numbers I was given was disconnected. I call my town hall and to learn that this guy was a SCAM.

I took my Kirby Sentria to another shop that fix Kirbys and after telling the new Kirby shop owner my story, I was told that the salesman sold me a refurbish Kirby Sentria vacuum for the price of a brand new Kirby Sentria vacuum. This machine can't be fixed. I am so dissatisfied with Kirby. I refuse to buy another Kirby from any door to door salesperson. I called Kirby and their customer service will not deal with customers like myself because they only sell to distributors. Well, I am through buying Kirby Vacuum Cleaners!

Original review: Dec. 23, 2014

I had a Dyson, with all the attachments, which I loved!! I had a Bissell shampooer, which was wonderful!! And I had another vacuum. I live in a mobile home with very little carpet area. This friggin salesman talked me into buying a new very expensive vacuum and giving him all my other items to boot! By the weekend, I had realized what I had done and I called to cancel the order. Well, they refused to cancel it cause it had been like 4 days.

I absolutely hate this vacuum. It's a Sentria with the shampoo attachment, among others that I have never used. The vacuum is so heavy, I can barely lug it up the 2 steps in my living room, and to attach the hose attachment, which I tend to use more than the main one, it is a pain in the butt!!! I can't tell you how upset I am, and want to warn everyone, if a Kirby salesman comes to your door, slam it closed!!!! They should be sued for scamming the public.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2014

Bought another Stupid Kirby Nov 2014. Sucked dirt real good! But the IDIOTS forgot to put in a BAG and I was running the DAMN thing without a bag! How Stupid can they get?! My brother is the one who discovered there was no bag! I was PISSED!! They know better and you can bet I will be calling and complain! But I'm sure they don't give a Rats **! They got their money and their precious trip to FL! Beware you stupid Kirby Dealers of the NO SOLICITING sign in my door if you ever come back! I will call the law!!!! Don't buy from these Idiots! High pressure salesman and I was exhausted when they left! I had my 2 year old grandson with me and it was way past his bedtime! They just wouldn't leave!

Original review: Dec. 19, 2014

When they came to the door I was in the market for a new vacuum, so I was willing to listen. Three hours later I finally bought it just to get rid of them - I was exhausted. The vacuum is way too heavy. I bought an Oreck canister to do the stairs (love that). I like the suction, but the belt breaks easily. Too complicated to use the other attachments. Had to call a local repair man to come and show me how to put the belt on at the cost of $35.00, and I furnished the belt. To be honest I have made some bad purchases, but this tops them all. I hate this vacuum. Any one want one cheap?

Original review: Dec. 16, 2014

Just like everyone else, they offered to clean a portion of my carpet for free to get their name out there for their company. I thought it was going to be a short deal. Remember if it seems too good to be true it is. They left a young kid and he started setting up shop in my living room while the boss left an hour and two hours later he showed back up and started the high-pressure sales. My girlfriend and my baby is due this week and they took three hours of our evening, guilting us about how our house is filthy and how we shouldn't live in this filth with her new baby coming this week. Everything they say is a lie. They will guilt you and try to manipulate you into purchasing one of their overpriced vacuums!!!! Thankfully we didn't!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE SPREAD THE NEWS ON SOCIAL MEDIA AND NEVER EVER LET THEM IN YOUR HOUSE! IT'S JUST NOT WORTH IT!!!

Original review: Dec. 13, 2014

They sold my elderly aunt THREE complete system... Most of the crap will never be used... They were missing parts... really really bad as in NO return policy. After you get it working very heavy and hard to use. Takes half the house to store all the crap. Even brand new in the box can not give it away even to a dealer. Save your money, buy a Shark. They work better, are lighter to push and use, less maintenance (no belt) and if it does quit throw it away and get a new one. Still be hundreds less than the Kirby crap. Should be embarrassed to call them American made.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2014

Gee whiz...These Kirby Vacuum sales boys persistent. They keep coming around to sell these "blow your mind" vacuum cleaners that supposedly do everything from cleaning your whole house to walking your dogs. Since October of this year, nearly every week or two a new Kirby salesperson comes knocking on our door sometime in the evening. It almost always happens when we're either having dinner or while getting the kids ready for bed (mind you getting my 4 and 7 year-old kids to bed is like the Battle of Troy).

Since we have many neighbors, friends and family that regularly drop by without notice, we don't quite think twice about it until we open the door, of course. Bright-eyed & bushy-tailed, dapperly-dressed & full of energy, I can never tell their mission: JWs? Campaigners? Tax collectors? No! They're Kirby Vacuum salespeople... Then the pitch comes. Goes something like this:

Kirby: (Million-dollar, ear-to ear grin) "Good evening sir! How are you tonight? Have you heard of Kirby Vacuums? They're unlike anything you've ever used to clean your house! May we come in for a free product demo? My boss pays me $30 for each house we demo...only takes about 20 minutes or so. Whaddya say?"

Me: (smiling) "Oh no thank you gentlemen. I'm actually in the middle of dinner with my family and some dear friends from out of town. Besides, I'm quite happy with the Dyson vacuum we use."

Kirby: (still full of zest) "Absolutely no charge and no pressure to buy, sir. All we want to do is show you our product and how amazing it is. You can consider it a free cleaning for the week! Once you see what's actually lurking in your carpet that your Dyson isn't getting, you'll thank us for coming in. How 'bout it?"

Me: (smile has faded, but remaining polite) "Well, I'd rather not know what's in my floors, but thanks anyhow. I've gotta get back to dinner. (Sorta closing the door)

Kirby: (Eyebrows don't match the smile, fake smile) "Ask anyone who owns a Kirby Vacuum and they will swear by how satisfied a customer they are. All I'm asking is for me to show you for free. You got kids? They'll-- (I cut him off)

Me: (Eyebrows mildly angry) "Look bud, I've already said I'm not interested. You said this is a no pressure kinda thing. I'd appreciate it if you move on."

Kirby: (Smiling with exasperation) "You mean you don't wanna help me out. My boss pays me--"

Me: (Visibly unhappy and raising my voice a bit) "Yeah, $30. You already told me that. What part of No, I'm not interested don't you understand? Please GO AWAY!"

Kirby: (Vexed but trying to hold a smile; cold call mode) "Did you know that the Kirby Vacu--"

Me: (Detached) "Uh, goodbye. Don't come back." (I close the door, he walks away).

It was brought to my attention recently that some people are doing this to scope out your house to rob your stuff, should you have any valuables, so it is probably best to not let any salespeople in your house ever. Frustrating!

Original review: Dec. 13, 2014

MY HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE. I did not know about the 3-day Cancellation until I read these reviews. THANK GOD!!! To make sure my ** was covered, I made sure I had everything in place up to the Post Dated Envelope. They received all the following 11/26/2014: phone call cancellation, written cancellation – below, faxed it! It included my "Letter of Cancellation" & a copy of the envelope POSTMARKED that I was mailing the Hard Copy via USPS, faxed the confirmation sheet that they received it - circling the results as (ok) received, called JBL (Anna) confirming they got the fax, mailed the HARD COPY at the post office and the postman clerk POSTMARKED IT 2-more times on the front of the envelope and 3-more on the back, received call on 11/28/2014 from JBL to make arrangements for his person to pick-up, and KIRBY PICKED UP 11/28/2014 by Nelson.

On Saturday 11/22/2014 I had a knock at my door at approximately 6:30 pm from a female employee of JBL GREENLAND. She introduced herself and proceeded to offer me a FREE shampoo of one room. She asked to come in to look at floor and she said she would like to shampoo living room, dining room and hall. I told her that was three but she said because they were small areas and they would only go around furniture they would do all three. At this point she never mentioned KIRBY. She led me to believe she was just a carpet cleaning business promoting themselves and if I like the job they did to call the office to schedule the remainder of the floors (bedrooms). I ask her how long it would take because I needed to run out and my son would be there. She said, “Oh no please stay. I want you to see how clean it gets and it would only take 45 minutes,” and they had several other homes to do and the person would arrive in about 30-45 minutes. This was while we were standing on my front patio. Suddenly a man showed up standing at the bottom of the stairway with the equipment. He introduced himself as Phillip. The Asian female left.

Phillip began to do his Pitch when suddenly it became clear that this was a KIRBY Sales situation. He communicated in a professional manner, however I started to feel uneasy that when his price of $3,395.00 suddenly dropped to $2,295.00. He kept jumping on his phone so I said, “Is this where your boss tells you to hurry and get out if it's not going to be a sale and don’t do the floor?” He said, “No,” that his boss is Filipino and that he was watching the Pacquiao fight at home. He called him to get permission to lower price. After a couple go rounds we settled at $1200.00 plus finance charges (still high) and not sure if I could afford that as my mother had just passed away and money was tight.

Phillip was now wanting to concentrate on getting to the paper work rather than Do The Floor so I proceeded to do them. He jumped up and said, "I see you are not going to do anything until I finish the floors." He took it out of my hand and started to shampoo. Phillip stopped to want to proceed to my room to do the mattress. 45 minutes has now turned to 1 Hours. It was cold and getting late but I think if Phillip could have closed the deal and wore me down I would give up on not having him shampoo as offered. I became a little more concerned because I could smell Marijuana on his breath and he expressed that he was a 6/pack a day beer guy, hmmmm… Phillip also bragged about how he talked an elderly couple who had Dementia-Alzheimer’s. SHAME!

Once the papers were signed he wanted to know if I wanted to have the one he had shampooed my carpet with. I said “HELL NO! I JUST SIGNED PAPERS FOR A $1547.28 SHAMPOOER!!!” So he called for someone to bring him one from the van from which I understand SEVERAL of your employees wait to be called as needed. The other person arrived at my door with the KIRBY and he was introducing to me as his New Trainee and his name was THUNDER (Oooo-K). Now at this time Thunder begins to unpack the KIRBY but I started to inspect it and there was water in the bottle unit where the water and shampoo is dispensed. I told Phillip, “This is USED equipment.” He sent THUNDER back down for another one. As it was being unpacked the box was then placed over by my front door. I walked over and said “Don’t I get to keep the box?” Phillip answered, “No we recycle them.” That made NO sense to me. I said, “I would still like to have the box.” He said he could not leave it. So now I am really uncomfortably concerned and the sales ethics of this business. Though my first payment is not due until February 22, 2015 as an auto pay from my bank account. Phillip asked for a VOIDED CHECK from me. This made no sense to me.

I have read many reviews about the way these people who knock door to door and I do not like what I am reading. FOR EXAMPLE: Parts are not as durable as they were years ago. Missing Parts and unable to get customer service to rectify. Customer Service does not respond or is very rude when you call for assistance. When you try and cancel as noted with in the 3/day. Ignored. The odd and very deceitful sales technique that is used by these people. Most Importantly they look as if they are casing your home. Very uneasy feeling. NOTE: I was very impressed with the performance of the equipment but I am uncertain what the future is if any issues arise and need resolved should I have the need to contact JBL or the provided 800# for assistance. I have decided to CANCEL and RETURN THE KIRBY SENTRIA II.

On Monday 11/24/2014 at approximately 4:45 PM I called the office of JBL GREENLAND, INC and spoke to an employee. He said his name was JIMMY. I talked to him about all my concerns and I said, “If I choose to cancel and return, can I fax my CANCELLATION FORM IN?” He said, “Yes” and provided me with the following Fax# (**). I brought to Jimmy’s attention that Phillip Salesman had put the wrong date in the NOTICE of CANCELLATION as 11-22-14. The date should show 11-26-14. Jimmy said he periodically makes those errors on the contracts. However it is correct in the lower portion it is written NOT LATER THAN MIDNIGHT OF 11-26-14. I will be Faxing and Mailing my CANCELLATION NOTIFICATION via USPS as well. I will make contact by phone to confirm the receipt of my CANCELLATION.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2014

I had representatives come from Watson Productions INC, and they wanted to give me a demonstration. I have owned Kirbys before and loved them minus how heavy they are, so I was okay with having them come and clean a section. I also figured that I wouldn't be able to buy one because having owned them before, I also knew how expensive they are. I told them from the minute they came in, saying it would only be 30 minutes, that I was in the middle of a bankruptcy and that I didn't have money to throw down on a vacuum. They assured me they could finance anyone. I was skeptical. They demonstrated and that was fine, but the guy who can do all the dealing kept leaving and coming back, and it took almost 5 hours when it was all said and done.

What he finally came up with after denying my credit was that I could write two postdated checks to split the five hundred dollar down payment between, one for my next payday, and one for the following payday, and then they would do an "in-house financing" for the remainder. I agreed as I was getting a better price now than I had ever heard of. $1,300 for everything, all the attachments, and the shampoo system. My husband and my best friend were there to witness the verbal agreement of the postdated checks, but also the written agreement of the financing. They left, and the vacuum stayed with me. I had just gotten a great deal on a Kirby, or so I thought. I received a call a few days later from another representative of Watson Productions INC telling me that they would have to either cash my first check now or come and retrieve the vacuum.

I was very upset and still am. They said that they don't accept two postdated checks, that they could only take one postdated check. And that their salesman never should have done that. This was very shady business practice, everything from the beginning to the end. If you are going to send someone out to negotiate for you, there should be no question about what the terms are. I think that they should have withheld the money from the salesman until the checks cleared as it was his bad practice. I checked the Kirby manufacturer website for area distributors and they aren't even on the list. Maybe they aren't even legit. I have queries out there, but in this day and age, perhaps the door-to-door sales technique just doesn't work if this is how they operate. I will tell everyone that I know not to buy from anyone who comes knocking on your door with a Kirby and especially if they are from Watson Productions INC.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2014

It was only after I had purchased the kirby did I come here to read what others had to say. And I'm glad I did wait. I would have missed out on a great deal for a great vacuum. But not all experiences are like mine. I had an easy time. It may have been due to knowing I won't lose even if I get stuck with something I don't want. And you can have that same comfort if you keep some simple common sense tactics in mind:

1. When a sales person comes in your home, grab your cell phone or camcorder and start recording. If they're honest they won't care what you do. If they're shady they'll leave rather quickly when asked. Video is excellent evidence in court. There are laws protecting all of us against pressured sales tactics. You can tell them you're recording or not. Or wait until they get pushy and then tell them.

2. If it's financed and they claim you can't return it, hang up the phone and get a bank statement out. Look up the first payment that gets taken. There will be a phone number with it. That number goes to the financing company. It's separate from the kirby company. Call and tell them they are no longer authorized to withdraw from your bank account and if they do you will call the bank and take the money back. Change your bank account number. This should get their undivided attention. You should then get the finance company's address as well as kirby's address and figure out which is cheaper to ship the vacuum to and do it. You might lose a couple hundred but not a several thousand. Remember most financing is done by a separate business. Only the big big corp. do both.

If the product is shipped back to the manufacturer or finance company, the financing co. won't want it but it's the quickest way to stop money coming out of your account. They know if you have done this your bank will side with you. And they can't slam your credit without the risk of being sued for reporting false claims. I think everyone that's upset about their kirby wouldn't be if the sales person acted with class and showed respect. It doesn't matter how good something is if it was pushed on to you. You're not going to want to use it because it will remind you of how you got it.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2014

They knocked on our door to sell us this system Carpet Shampoo System. It was a young woman and a guy, the woman was in training, the guy was her boss. They told me who they worked for and said they were demonstrating the system, he seen a few stains said he could get them out in just a few minutes. First he wanted to show us how the system worked. From one thing to the next he cleaned a small part. Now before I let them I had told the two that me and my wife are both handicapped, my wife was not feeling very good this day. I had asked if they could come back, the guy gave me something about not being around our area. The young lady was just with him because she never said a word.

To get to the point he didn't show me how to work the shampoo part of this system and now I need to use it and cannot. The guy talked so fast it was very hard to understand him. The whole time my wife needed my help for things he just pushed on until I said I would take it just to get them out of my house. Now we have this system that I have to go online to get paperwork on how to use it, not right at all. Both of us handicapped and this is what big companies tell their people to do. Then the companies let go of thousands of people so the big guys get the nice "BONUS" at the end of the year.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2014

Two young girls knocked at our door today with a "free" offer to clean our carpet. My husband declined, so their offer morphed into anything that might get them inside the house. They offered to clean our grout, cook dinner for us, clean our rain gutters, etc. They said they were college students who would get credit for doing a good deed for us. When it seemed that they would not give up no matter how many times my husband said no, I joined him at the door and told them I would not allow them to do any work at our house since they were not bonded.

One of the girls then said that they were licensed and bonded and handed me a leaflet to verify this. Then she said that they would be back in 5 minutes to clean our grout. I looked at the leaflet and saw the name "Kirby" in fine print at the very bottom. Aha! So that was who they really were! We had made the mistake years ago of letting a Kirby salesman into our house. When we declined to buy the very expensive vacuum cleaner he was selling, he had become belligerent and tried to bully us and threaten us. We had a terrible time getting him to leave, so we were not about to let anybody affiliated with the name "Kirby" into our house again.

When one of the two young "baiters" showed up again with a couple of husky guys carrying Kirby equipment, I told them that we had no intention of letting them into our house. I shut the door in their faces while the girl continued to argue with me. I'm glad I did since it seems Kirby's sales tactics have not changed judging from the reviews on this site. Do not let these people into your house! You may have to call the police to get them to leave unless you buy an extremely expensive vacuum cleaner from them.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2014

After using the cleaner, my daughter found it hard to interchange the parts. She has arthritis in both her hands so to make the changes it’s almost impossible. It was decided that we would return the cleaner, and on contacting your Rep up here, he informs me that after 18 days I cannot return the machine. I think that this is out of reason, because it was only used once. If this is the case I would not recommend to any of my friends purchase one of your products. Would you please confirm if this is your policy, or it’s your Canadian Distributor's policy? I still want to return the machine. I can't afford to have it sitting here.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2014

This is not a real job. They tell convince you that it is a great opportunity, tell you that you are going to get paid 500 a week which is not true. What is true is that they drive you around door to door to make money for the supervisors. They give you a story that you're going to get commission off what they sell. Not true. The employees who work there lie to your face. I don't know how they go to sleep at night. PLEASE DO NOT WORK FOR THIS COMPANY. IT IS A COMPLETE SCAM.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2014

After quitting my job due to finding out they were turning back odometers I found a job on craigslist promising 840 bi-weekly. I spent hundreds of dollars in wardrobe so I could dress "business professional" as that was a requirement for the position. I showed up and they drove me over an hour away for "training" that was unpaid for the next 4 days. After learning how to pack and set up the product I went into the field most times an hour and a half away. I don't get home until 2 am and I miss out on spending time with my wife and 2 toddler boys. I believe in hard work and I am not afraid to put in long hours but I was suppose to get my salary today and instead of getting even a dime of the COMMISSION I have nothing to show for 9 am-2 am M-S work schedule I have been going through for the last month. I watched on multiple occasions where elderly and low income people and homes were targeted and forced to buy the product.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2014

I was down on my luck and hard looking for a job on. I checked on craigslist and wouldn't you know, I see an ad for a job 500$ a week it said and that was guaranteed mind you. Well, that's what the ad stated. Well, I go in to the interview. It seems legit. It seems like a job that would be for me. I mean you get 500 a week, you don't have to use your car, they have transportation set up for you. You don't have to make your own appointments, they call and set up appointments for you. Well first off come to find out you don't get Squat a week if you don't sell or force to sell a overpriced hunk of ** to a customer. I mean, they really try and push it on the person so already, there's one red flag.

Then red flag number 2 comes up. Oh, before you can go on the van with the others, you need set up 5 appointments yourself. So yeah, not only do you not go with other supposed workers, you have to push the vacuum onto your own family and friends. So yeah, red flag number 2. And here's the biggest red flag of them all. They pay about 500 dollars for the vacuum and mock it up to 2150.00. Don't trust them. If you’re ever in Worcester, MA beware of J Hood & Associates Inc. 74 Madison St Worcester, Massachusetts 01608-2026 United States. They are nothing but liars and scumbags.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2014

Shame on Kirby! Their sales techniques are awful! They went to my elderly parents' home and sold them a $1500.00 vacuum. Yes my parents are still independent, but my father is 93 yrs old and they are on a very fixed income. My mother kept saying no and the salesman kept at my father. The salesman finally told my dad that my mother's health would be much better if he bought the vacuum. She has COPD and is on oxygen. So my dad bought it. They can't afford the payments each month! But of course now I am the bad guy if I try to talk to my dad about it. So I believe that the Kirby salesman has no moral standards. How could you do this to my parents? Shame, Shame on them. What if they pass before this things is paid off? They need that money for prescriptions, and food and rent. I am so angry right now with Kirby.

Resolution response: June 18, 2015

My mother's Kirby works fine. A cleaning person who comes out from the county to help the elderly clean their homes uses it at my parents' home without issue. The only issue I've had is with salespeople selling new Kirbys.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2014

My parents have used Kirby Vacuum cleaners as long as I can remember (I'm 50) with very good results. The machines have been bulky and heavy. But, that wasn't an issue until my mom became too crippled with arthritis to use it. She still likes the machine. Kirby has stood behind the machine and the parts have been good quality. Myself, I've used Electrolux, Dirt Devil, Kenmore, and ShopVac because I never could afford a new Kirby. Twice, I've had salespeople over to demonstrate Kirby machines. The test with the white paper is a scam that people should be aware of. No vacuum cleaner will get 100% of the dirt in a carpet. The last time I had a Kirby saIesperson over I gave them a shock when my Kenmore cleaned as well, if not better than the Kirby.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2014

This company should be ashamed of their sells techniques. They forced their way in to my 86 year old grandma's house (the screen door wasn't locked, so when she answered the door they stepped in to her house) and then sold her a vacuum she didn't need. At least 5 times when they were there she told them she didn't need a vacuum, didn't want their product, and couldn't afford their product. After they had been there 2 hours she told them to leave and to come back when my dad was there and they could discuss if she should buy the product. They told her to go ahead and buy the product and she could only return it! That's a flat out lie! So she bought the vacuum then when my dad got home from work she explained what happened and he immediately called Kirby.

He was told a manager "would get back to him", which he did 5 days later! And wouldn't you know my grandma only had 3 days to return the vacuum, so by the time my dad talked to a Kirby manager it was too late! The manager informed my dad that it says in small print the consumer has 3 days to return the product for a refund. My dad explained that the salespeople told my grandma she had 14 days and the manager said it doesn't matter "it's in the small print." What a great company to have to con elderly people out of their social security checks! If they come to your door tell them to leave, don't let them in, and if they don't listen call the police.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2014

Kirby salesman showed up...demonstrated the vacuum...went through the financing...$3495.66. By the time I make my last $148.00 @29.99% interest...I will have paid $5046.00. The salesman filled out and SIGNED BOTH THE OWNERSHIP AND FINANCIAL AGREEMENT AND LEFT the complete vacuum set/system here. Now I own the vacuum...now a few days later the salesman keeps calling me everyday, even at work telling me I didn't get approved from the finance company and they would like to come by and pick up the vacuum...STUPID SCHMUCK...THE OWNERSHIP IS MINE LEGAL AND IN MY POSSESSION. They never should have left the vacuum here until AFTER I got approved. Too late...he signed it therefore it is mine...right or wrong??

Original review: Nov. 21, 2014

So I have owned my Kirby for 5 years and a month ago, I was ready to throw it in the woods. It is big and heavy and a pain in the ass to change attachments all the time!! I bought into all the hype and people telling me how great Dyson was, and that it cleans as good as Kirby and so much easier! So I bought a Dyson. I gave it a fair chance because everything new takes some getting used to. However, after 3 weeks of vacuuming my carpets and furniture with it, I was done!! I have 3 kids, 2 dogs, and 1 cat and I am allergic to pet dander. The Dyson was not picking up the pet hair, and barely cleaning the carpet at all! I don't think that people who rave about Dyson have ever tried a Kirby, because they are flat out crazy if they think they clean anywhere near as good as a Kirby!!

My Kirby is back and I will never say another bad word about it again! Sometimes it takes trying something else to appreciate what you have, and man did I learn my lesson!! I love my Kirby although it is still big and heavy, NOTHING cleans like her! Trust me, I am shocked that I am writing this because I really did hate my Kirby a month ago. And yes, ordering bags and belts is a pain, and changing attachments is a pain, and it weighs a ton but in my opinion, a clean house is worth the minor inconveniences.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2014

Kirby called to make a app. They said it will take a min of 1.5 hrs. to show the vacuum, they were here for over 4 hrs. They did not want to leave until I buy one and I kept saying no for a dozen times. I told them I can't afford a $3,000.00 vacuum. While one trying to talked to me about buying one, the other guy were in my bedroom snooping around and other rooms too. I asked them to leave, they got very very nasty and they refused to leave until I buy one. I said to them what part on NO they don't understand. Finally they left, they slammed the doors so hard and they left me a big mess to clean up. They did the same things at my girlfriend's house, they harassed her big time into buying one and they kind of scared her and she asked them to leave. They said they didn't want to leave, until she buy one, that's harassing. They were there for almost 4 hrs. Again, when one talk to you the other went in her bedroom and her closet and drawers, I was upset and scare. They always saying they try to do a sales, for a trip and they want some money. Please, I'm warning everybody, DON'T LET THEM IN YOUR HOUSE.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2014

Fair? They were NEVER fair! They tricked me at my front door with a young girl just wanting to clean my stairs. She begged as I said "NO I was very sick." "Oh it'll only take a few minutes." I said "No" 10 times saying, "I did not want Kirby!" Finally a nice looking man snuck in behind her and started the pitch. Finally I relented. Regretfully. Then upon that relent, in gushes a 3 guy to push the deal! He would not leave for 3 hours! Browbeating, I am in my pajamas and sick. He still continues into the evening now. I can't AFFORD their vacuum! My credit wasn't good enough. He forces me to let him run my credit at my $40 Expense and DID NOT QUALIFY!

However, he knew he had long overstayed and grabbed all the paperwork, ALL OF IT and said he'd let me know. But LEFT THE BIG HEAVY KIRBY SITTING IN THE MIDDLE OF THE HALL!!! I went to move it and literally sprained my wrist not knowing how very heavy it was. I couldn't budge it. So I turned it on to try to vacuum it out of the way. Well, he'd left the motor on top of the big suction hose! I still could not move it! It melted that hose! I tried for years through letters. BBB, Attorney General, their office to get them to come get it! I ended up paying nearly $900 for a vacuum I couldn't even lift or use! Now its been on my credit since 2008!!! Very dishonest people and the Owner is a Mormon. Very bad for the Church's Reputation.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2014

Kirby is a way overpriced machine that is sold door to door because nobody in their right mind would pay that much in a store. In a store they can't give you the high pressure sales pitch or make you feel bad for them because they are 1 sale away from winning something. The guys selling them are generally down on their luck and answered an ad where they were promised the moon and pressured into selling a machine to win a trip or get a big screen TV. They make one or two sales to their mom, or grandma then they get screwed out of the commission and prize and they end up quitting. When 95% of the reviews are negative bolstered up by one or two fake reviews from the distributors, you know it's a scam. Save your money, you can get a much better deal at walmart.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners Company Information