Kirby Vacuum Cleaners
2.30/5

Quit paying for costly home repairs

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners Reviews

For nearly one-hundred years, The Kirby Company has manufactured superior, American-made home cleaning systems. Kirby does not sell directly to the public but continues a long tradition of distributing its home cleaning systems through independent distributors, who are responsible for running their own businesses. Over the years, this distribution system has afforded thousands of men and women the opportunity to live the American dream of owning and operating their own businesses.

Experience has taught us that customers prefer to try our premium cleaning systems in their own homes before purchasing. Customer satisfaction is our top priority. If customers have any questions or concerns regarding the in-home demonstrations of Kirby cleaning systems or the cleaning systems themselves, please email us at consumer@kirbywhq.com, or call us at 800-494-8586, Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., EST.

View More View More

Quit paying for costly home repairs

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners Reviews

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

The salesman came when my daughter was napping. He kept me outside way longer than I wanted but I was trying to keep my dogs from barking so I was just trying to keep them calm. He said he was with a natural cleaning company and wanted to come show me some products later. If I would have known it was Kirby I wouldn’t have let them in.

A family I nannied for stupidly bought one and I was forced to use that huge heavy thing when there and hated it. I was too nice and let them in anyways because I don’t like confrontation. The sales guy was going on and on about how horrible my current vacuum was since he was still picking up so much dog hair and dust. Jokes on him I hadn’t vacuumed that part in a few days. I’m sure my “Bad” vacuum would do just the same if it was used. The only way I got him out after an HOUR AND A HALF. Was that I had to put my daughter to bed and there was no way I could buy it as my husband is in Afghanistan and it’s not like I can just call and ask to buy it, not like I would have anyways.

Not to mention he left dog hair and dirt everywhere for laying the pads everywhere and half-ass cleaning them up. Way overpriced and heavy junk in my opinion. I’m mad that I even let them in, but I was definitely lied to to be let in. I feel sorry for anyone that has these people in their house for hours and are guilted into spending thousands of dollars on a VACUUM.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Kira, we are sorry about your recent experience with an independent distributor. If you'd like, we would love to gather more information regarding the distributor who was in your home. Could you please provide us with a good number to reach you in a private message, or call us at 1-800-494-8586 so we can further assist? We look forward to hearing from you! - The Kirby Company

Original review: Oct. 4, 2019

I recently purchased the Avalir 2. I was impressed with the number of capabilities offered. After having it awhile, I am not so impressed. I have trouble with it picking up larger, but still small, things off the carpet. It’s not pleasant to have to haul out a bag of attachments and switch out heads to get the floor and the edges in a single cleaning session. I am used to quickly getting the crevices as I go along, not having to stop the work to switch attachments and go back around the room. But the reason I am writing a one star review is because the multi-surface shampoo system was supposed to clean my hard floors. “Make them shine.” It didn’t. Just followed the instructions to mop my floor, with the proper floor tool, roller, water, solution and tank...and I effectively got wet floors.

It took a couple of passes of a drizzle on the floors before I realized I neglected to drop it down to the lowest setting.

Then I thought it was cleaning. It only picks off a fraction of the water put down. I dumped out the tray a couple of times and the water was dirty as the floor really needed attention. But shortly after dumping the waste water the first time, the machine was leaving puddles smeared wherever I went forward. It also seemed to be jumping a bit if I tried going faster than a turtle's pace backwards. I “finished” my floor by setting it for extended periods on spots that were a bit gunky then going over the floor backwards to pickup the puddle smears of dirty water.

There’s no chance of getting corners mopped with the machine and many 3” edges weren’t mopped because it’s not possible to get the side of the machine along all edges. When I stopped and cleaned things up, I let the floor dry. What I have now is a floor that is sticky all over instead of in just the spots where pop spills hadn’t been properly cleaned at the time of the incidents. So, while I thought I was getting a decent deal on an investment of $1500 for the vacuum, MSSS, a bunch of bags and belts, and all the attachments, I now am doubting our investment.

Shouldn’t have let them take my old vacuum so it could pickup the bigger pieces before using the Kirby. And I definitely still need a mop and bucket. I have yet to try and shampoo my carpet, but I am pretty sure I will be disappointed as well. The lady that asked if I wanted a presentation said he would clean my carpet in one room. So my family quickly moved all the furniture out of the way as we had moved and vacuumed everything earlier that day. Then the salesman came and did a lot of vacuuming, but not shampoo, because it was late and the last day of the month.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi D, we are disappointed to read about your experience with your MSSS, and would love to further assist you on your cleaning system. If you could, please PM us a good number to reach you at, or if you prefer, give us a call directly at 1-800-494-8586. Thank you for your honest review, as we take customer feedback seriously. We look forward to hearing from you! - The Kirby Company

Original review: Sept. 23, 2019

It started with a knock at my door offering a free carpet cleaning. I specifically said only the stairs because my infants were sleeping. They walked in and said, "I'm sorry but we need to clean a whole room to show you what this vacuum can do." Once plugged in my kids woke up. After 4 hours or more with some very fresh comments about my relationship with my partner and comments about what we do in the bedroom he told us the price and we had won a family trip for a weekend. I purchased it WITHOUT them saying I had 3 days to cancel. I didn't use it for a week until I finally did and the Kirby didn't work my $10 broom. Had to pick up dirt that the KIRBY HAD LEFT. I'm so agrivatted and trying to get legal help to stop the payments and harm my CREDIT.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Aida, we are deeply concerned with your message regarding your recent experience with an independent distributor. We take matters like this very seriously and would like to gather some more information from you and your experience. If you're comfortable, please message us a good number to reach you at or call us directly at 1-800-494-8586 so we can gather more information and assist you. We look forward to hearing from you and appreciate you bringing this to our attention. - The Kirby Company

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

It started with a knock at the door... The sales representative was very kind and wanted to show us the Kirby Avalir 2 and all it had to offer, with the assurance it would only take 15 minutes. He came in. Vacuumed the same spot for about 45 minutes. We were very impressed with the vacuum's capabilities! Going through the very long process of negotiating we realized it wasn't an investment we wanted to make at this time. Well, an hour later and numerous "no's" we are still trying to get these over persistent sales representatives out of our home. When they FINALLY understood that we were not planning on purchasing at this time, the salesman's charm faded and then left. Not before leaving a few snide and condescending remarks about us and the cleanliness of our home. Kirby makes a superior machine, but sales representatives could use some work.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Seth, thank you for your feedback on your experience with an independent distributor. We take situations like this very seriously and appreciate your review. If you'd like to discuss this matter further, please give us a call at 1-800-494-8586. We look forward to hearing from you. -The Kirby Company

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

IT has been years since I worked for Kirby - but every now and then I think of the Sault Ste Marie Kirby Power couple (I can't remember their name but they had a ton of kids to feed apparently). They were as dishonest as the day is long. They employed all these sales tactics seen below (tell them you just need to sell one more vacuum so you can win a scholarship) etc etc. Those vacuums are cumbersome, heavy, and are being put to shame by the bagless vacuums with rotating head. I am embarrassed that I ever worked for them, and in spite of several sales, they NEVER paid me. They are as dirty as the vacuum bags (on good machines).

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Chantelle, we are concerned with your experience with independent distributors and would like you to give us a call at 1-800-494-8586. Thank you for bringing this to our attention and providing feedback on your experience. We take situations like yours very seriously regarding the independent distributors. We have passed this information along to our Consumer Relations Department.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kirby?

Original review: Sept. 15, 2019

A woman called me on the phone and said I could get 2 free carpet cleanings. All that they ask of me is to tell them my honest opinion on how their new machine works. They assured that they were not selling anything. This guy pulls up to my house, brings all this stuff in, and does a 3 hour show telling us about each product. He kept giving us different prices, no matter what we said. We told him straight up we didn’t want to buy anything today, and he was so desperate he dropped the price all the way down to $0 down payment $88 a month. We still said no and he even recommended faking my grandma's signature to get a better deal.

He kept saying “before I clean the carpet I need to know if you're buying the Kirby or not, that way I know if I should really clean it good for you.” So when he finally got it in his head we weren’t buying anything, he did the carpets, absolutely horrible. He missed so many spots in the house and left it looking like **. I thought this was a company that did 2 free cleanings and then after I could maybe see if I want their service for any other needs. But no, this place is a total waste of time and not worth it. They will do your carpet horrible if you don’t buy their almost $3,000 Kirby.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hello Kurt, we are disappointed to read about your experience with an independent distributor recently. Could you please private message us a good number to reach you at so we can gather more information about this distributor? If you would rather, you can always call us directly at 1-800-494-8586. We appreciate you bringing this to our attention and look forward to hearing from you. - The Kirby Company

Original review: Sept. 13, 2019

The demonstrators did a great job showing off the vacuum cleaner but it is a lemon. It breaks down all the time, even though I had a thorough training. It is one of the worst purchasing decisions I have ever made.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Sarah, Please give us a call at 1-800-494-8586 so we can further assist you and gather more information. We appreciate your message and look forward to hearing from you. - The Kirby Company

Original review: Sept. 13, 2019

Firstly I have read previous reviews of the sales pitches by 'independent' sales people and they all use the same tactics so the method must come directly from 'Kirby'. But if not perhaps you should take over your own sales. In our instance the two sales ladies 'invaded' us, that's the only way I can describe it. They handed me a bottle of cleaner leading me to believe that was what they were selling but that was just a distraction. Next thing we know they are in our house trying to sell us a vacuum. Before we know it is out of the box and the demonstration begins but not before the highly talkative one then said she had to take care of other customers and left in the car leaving the young girl with us...for nearly 2 hours.

She proceeded to vacuum showing how much dirt was in our house (shame, shame). Asked to see my vacuum which I got grudgingly and told her I couldn't be much longer as I was trying to cook supper. My husband told her that was enough but she didn't give up and he told her 5 minutes more only. Finally she packed everything up but slowly, cleaning every piece of the vacuum first before returning to the box. She called and texted for someone to pick her up but it was an HOUR before they came. This is the most disgusting sales pitch I have experienced, taking liberty of our time and inconveniencing us leaving a stranger in our house waiting for over an hour. We did not buy the vacuum and I will never buy a Kirby. Way too expensive and very bad sales.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hello Noella, Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your experience with an independent distributor. We take feedback such as yours very seriously, and have passed this on to our Consumer Relations department. If you wish to further speak on this matter and your experience, please give us a call at 1-800-494-8586 so we can gather even more information and further assist you. Thank you again for your time. -The Kirby Company

Original review: Sept. 8, 2019

They knock at my door. Just finish installing tile all downstairs. Told them I wasn't interested!! Offered to do my carpet for free. He went on about wanting to win a trip. Would not leave my home until I bought one. After almost 4 hrs from 3000 down to 1300 and took my 2 vacuums I owned. Decided that it was way too heavy and too complicated to work so I called to cancel..huh you think they answered or returned my call!! Nooo. Now I'm stuck with vacuum that I can't even use. Had to buy a new one!! Yet still paying for this 1300 dollar Kirby. Imagine if I would have agree at 3000!! Warning. Do not buy these vacuums. They are thieves..and trust me you won't like them and will be sorry.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Brenda, we are very concerned with your review. Could you please provide us with a good number to reach you at so we can further assist and gather more information about the independent distributor you purchased from? We look forward to hearing from you! - The Kirby Company

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

One the vacuum cleaner is heavy very heavy for a woman that has a big two story house. They lie, you call and tell them what need to be done - two room carpet clean walls, a floors done from front to back of my house. He said they just told him one carpet and that's it. Ok, called to set up the next cleaning as before had to wait and a no show because the guy quit. Called to set up. The same thing, no show or call. Next he landed calls me, said he is coming and can I do him a favour and vacuum for him so I did. He came but I can't get the walls done. "Don't do that," the guy said.

I told non-stop telling people that buy this vacuum, that you come a do walls. Ok next I asked him why did I have to use my stuff for cleaning, he said the guy should not have did that sorry. [I had him clean my floors. It was not done right at all. It was still had dirt on it in the corners and place on the floor. He told me to buy a mop so he can come back and do it right]. I had a company in good standing come out to do my floors before and wax them and was very clean. So next I just had the vacuum cleaner a month and the belt breaks ok, but it's suppose to last a long time. It don't I use another vacuum to clean because it's so heavy for me to use, so I only bring out the Kirby to do heavier cleaning and I still have someone else to do it for me. So I had got two chairs and one couch beige in color, good and well built.

The only thing it was Stains on it so I called to get it clean. She came out, she seen it and told me I needed a zip brush that I did not have and other stuff I needed. I asked her how much, she said she will get that for me. Then she left and where she parked her car was way inside in my yard so I know she had to get out just right. Ok. She hit a park car right next to my driveway and took off, never left a note at all. Now I go out with my son law the next day and he sees it and so do I. She hit it hard, my daughter's car put a good size hit in it. My daughter's car is a box car, that what it looks like and the girl drives a med size car. Text her, she said yes but gave my daughter the run around about her car insurance number and she was never on.

While that was happening they called me a the next week saying that my stuff was not there yet. Ok and she will be out the next day. Ok please don't have me waiting if she don't show up. No one came or called me so I had to call. I was told that they were short of people and they will call me back soon. I text the girl that hit my daughter's car and told her she text my daughter and told her the guy that own the company told her that he dried the stuff I need off to me which was a lie. I called them up, told them why is this man losing saying that he gave me my stuff already and I told and not to have him come to my house anymore so I had to wait another week. I called up Kirby company told them in a week they called me telling me the cleaning company that they would have someone, come out to drop off my stuff I need.

I asked about what I needed to be done awhile back, "Oh sorry but we are short staff again." The guy came out just to drop off the stuff, that was done because if they are short staffed why bring it if the job couldn't be done right. So I had to wait for a call from the cleaning company to get more staff but Kirby company call and ask me did I get what I needed, yes can no yes. He dropped off the stuff but no he did not clean my crouch or two chairs. The lady said she would email them. They called and set up appointment that took close to a month to come out. And guess who shows up. The owner which I told them awhile back please not to send this man to my house for losing on me so by this time I gave up and just to get it done I let him one he used my cleaning soap that she gave me and more, that the other guy to use on my couch and my two chairs then asked me for a towel.

Ok then he just vacuum the couch and the two chairs without leaving the cushions at all of the back of the cushions off. Then I had to tell him, "You know that they can come off, they can move." He moved one back pillow down. I can't believe what I am seeing. Then he stay a little spray on a small stain and started to scrub, when I am looking at him when there are bigger stains but he start the top part then in the seat, then took the towel I gave him and wiped it off. Now I am looking at him. Do this he was just seeing the stray that came out the vacuum and shipping it down the whole time. They ask me, "Wow you have stains." I said yes then he ask me, "Do you think that bleach can go on here? I think I can get it out with bleach." I told him, "No you can't. It will destroyed the material of the couch and it is beige not white." Oh well then I told him to read the tag and see for himself.

Then he said that I can go on the Kirby web and buy some heavy carpet cleaning stuff that he can come back. The funny thing is he did not try at pre spray the big stain at all or try to scrub the big stain at all. He just did a very small one and where they was a stain it he did not spray anything at all. At the bottom of the couch or both chairs did not remove the back pillows on all of them or clean the whole arms or sides of couch or chairs at all but was done. That was crazy. He looked like he came, use up what was given to me, spray and a whip down with soap. At the end he had the nerve to say I need to call the Kirby company and tell them what I did and for me to hold on. I told him to leave my house now and he said, "I need to call them." I told him to leave my house right now.

This I had to look up how to clean a couch with a Kirby on YouTube channel. Wow the man from Kirby did it the right way and showed how to scrub stains everything the correct way not the wrong way like this man came and done to me today. After seeing this YouTube on how it's to be done I am so upset I can let out a mad scream right now and on top of that so many people have bad thing to say about this vacuum cleaner and the people behind them out there saying them don't buy it. It's not worth the time or the servers at all. Get a tray cleaning company or a maid services to come like it will. And now I know why he wanted to call Kirby and tell them so he can say that he came and did the job. No you did not do the job at all. That was the worst thing I have ever seen in my life ever.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Latrice, we are very concerned with your message about your experience with an independent distributor and Kirby System. Could you please provide us with a number to reach you at so we can gather some more information to best assist you? We have passed this information along to our Consumer Relations department in the meantime. We appreciate you bringing this to our attention and look forward to hearing from you!

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners Company Information